PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Olsen Dies at Age 69

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Olsen was one of the true pioneers of both the NFL and in life. Other than watching NFLN replays, I remember very little of him as a player, but understood how he played the game as it should be played. He was a Pro-Bowler 14 out of his 15 years and became a member of the HOF in class of 82. He was also a member of the 75th anniversery team.
I remember him more in the booth and in 'Little House on the Prairie'. He basically excelled at everything he set out to do. From what I understand he was a true Gentleman off the field.

Rest in peace Mr. Olsen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816e27e3&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Olsen was rookie of the year for the Rams in 1962 and is still the Rams' all-time leader in career tackles with 915. He was named to 14 consecutive Pro Bowls, a string that started his rookie year.

Olsen, a 1982 inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was also a member of the NFL's all-decade teams for the 1960s and 1970s, and was named to the NFL's 75th anniversary all-time team, as chosen by a committee of media and league personnel in 1994.

WWJD
03-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Ah..that's so sad. :(

God bless.

hobie
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
May he rest in peace. Hopefully he will be in the Ultimate HOF !!

Showtime100
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Terrible news. I've always looked up to him and am old enough to remember his playing days. Just terrible news. I always thought the reason he was so good on Little House was because he believed in the character he was portraying.

Rest In Peace, Merlin.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Terrible news. I've always looked up to him and am old enough to remember his playing days. Just terrible news. I always thought the reason he was so good on Little House was because he believed in the character he was portraying.

Rest In Peace, Merlin.

I wish I could've seen him play more than I did. From what I gather from NFL Replays he was a badass on the field. I mean, 14 out of his 15 years in the NFL ended up in the ProBowl. Back when the Pro-Bowl meant much more than it does now.

I know there are some, but I wish there were more players like him these days.

Double Barrel
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
RIP Mr. Olsen. He appeared to be a great guy with solid character.

badboy
03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Just got this info on another source. What a loss and I really liked this guy. He did ok as an actor also.

axman40
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Olsen

ChampionTexan
03-11-2010, 04:14 PM
HOFer
Broadcaster
Actor
Pitchman

RIP Mr. Olsen

FTD AD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVoIUhgH54)

False Start
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Damn, sad news. RIP Merlin. :(

Texan4Ever
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Great guy and a tough player who never did anything dirty, followed the rules and became one of the best DTs in NFL history. R.I.P. Merlin Olsen...

Showtime100
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I would think ESPN would do a better job of covering the story. It was on as a sidenote on PTI and Sportscenter doesn't look to mention it anytime soon.

I must be missing something because I thought it would be lead story material.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I would think ESPN would do a better job of covering the story. It was on as a sidenote on PTI and Sportscenter doesn't look to mention it anytime soon.

I must be missing something because I thought it would be lead story material.

NFLN had a nice piece on him. Dang near 30 minutes worth, plus a few smaller pieces throughout the day. I found out about it watching NFLN and they broke in to report it while showing clips of his success throughout life. Lasted most of my lunch hour.

You're watching the wrong channel, Showtime. Espn has sucked for a long time now. I only watch them when there's a game and I watch espn news in bed to catch up on the days scores.

Showtime100
03-12-2010, 09:36 AM
NFLN had a nice piece on him. Dang near 30 minutes worth, plus a few smaller pieces throughout the day. I found out about it watching NFLN and they broke in to report it while showing clips of his success throughout life. Lasted most of my lunch hour.

You're watching the wrong channel, Showtime. Espn has sucked for a long time now. I only watch them when there's a game and I watch espn news in bed to catch up on the days scores.

Yeah, agreed. (bangs forehead) It was pretty dense of me not to even look at NFLN. :brickwall:

Dread-Head
03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Quite possibly the TOUGHEST man to ever sell flowers and a real class act. Rest in Peace Mr. Olsen.

Texan_Bill
03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I was going to mention the FTD ads he used to do. A man who could pimp some flowers and then kick your ass on the field.

Sad... The 'Fearsome Foursome' is down to the 'Fearsome Twosome'. Only Rosie Grier and Deacon Jones remain.

"Good night Merlin".......... and RIP.