PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Wade Smith

J_R
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Lock/Merge if necessary, thanks.

http://www.39online.com/news/sns-ap-fbn--texans-smith,0,1102651.story

HOUSTON (AP) — Offensive lineman Wade Smith, an unrestricted free agent courted for his versatility, has agreed to terms with the Houston Texans, his Nashville-based agent, Brian Parker, confirmed.

Smith's four-year deal includes $5.25 million in guaranteed money in the first year and averages about $3 million a season.

An eight-year veteran who started 16 games over the last two seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, Smith is expected to challenge for a starting job at guard or center with the Texans.

hot pickle
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
FINALLLY.... lets party. good job rick lol

redwhiteANDblue
03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Who's Wade Smith? Don't want to sound like a noob but is he any good??

TEXANS84
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Biggest FA splash, Julius Peppers with the Bears or Wade Smith with the Texans?

Championship!

ATXtexanfan
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I have no problem with this, even if it's just depth.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Versatile O-lineman that played C for the the Kansas City Chefs last year.

Mike Kerns
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Not really a "sexy" signing, but I like it.

Thorn
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Any help we can get on the O line is a good thing.

Hardcore Texan
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Not really a "sexy" signing, but I like it.

I agree, good signing and not for too much money either.

False Start
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Good signing, maybe he can relieve Chris Myers of his duties......... :D

JWarren14
03-10-2010, 05:59 PM
BOOOO McNair! You should have signed him for more money!

JK

Any help on the OLine is needed, his versatility will be an asset, and the Cheifs actually had a few games where Jamal Charles had success running the ball last year even with a poor passing game. How much of that was Wade is uncertain, but he had some part in it.

Finally we have gotten that first one under our belt, let's get a few more and a solid draft and get to 10 wins.

Cheers!

Texecutioner
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Hell yeah we got Wade Smith!!!!! :whip:

Our running game is going to be deadly next season now. We will dominate!

awtysst
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Smart move. While he was on the Chiefs, he was a solid starting OG last year. His versatility allows him to also play Center. I expect the texans to still draft another OG/OC in the draft, but they can wait a little now.

Perhaps next year's line looks like this:

Brown---Smith---Caldwell----Briesel---Winston.

Myers, White, Studdard, and new draft pick compete for backup spots.

ArlingtonTexan
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Especially on the 1st page of this thread you can find out more about him.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70089

His biggest calling card is the ability to play in all spots across the line.

Here was Kubiak's take on him a couple of days ago.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6082

"(Versatility) is the biggest thing with him," Kubiak said. "I've chased this kid a couple of times. I chased him in Denver, and now I get a chance here in Houston. He can play a lot of spots. We see him as an inside player. We want him to come compete at the center/guard position for our football team. We think that's going to be a very competitive position for our team this year, so we'll see what he thinks of it."

SAMURAITEXAN
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Good signing. We need OL help.

Now, we can focus more to draft FS, CB, RB and DT in early rounds.

Go Texans!!!

bckey
03-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Good signing. It is rare that a player visits 3 teams anymore and then picks his best option. Usally if they fly out of town it isn't going to happen. At least in the first week or so of free agency. I like this guy because he chose Houston not because we over paid him.

TimeKiller
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
As much as I would like to get behind the guy and think he's a versatile OL who is coming for a starting job....

Second Honeymoon
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Could it be? Does this mean the end of Chris Myers as a Texan?

This could truly be a glorious day indeed. This also helps make G/C less of a need early in the draft.

thanks Smith. not a sexy or high impact signing, but it does afford the Texans some flexibility come draft day.

NitroGSXR
03-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Good signing. It is rare that a player visits 3 teams anymore and then picks his best option. Usally if they fly out of town it isn't going to happen. At least in the first week or so of free agency. I like this guy because he chose Houston not because we over paid him.

Overpaid him? No. It's probably because we made him the best offer he could get or wanted.

DocBar
03-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Not really a "sexy" signing, but I like it. I like the signing, too. Sexy doesn't win championships. Large, sweaty men in the trenches do.

Lucky
03-10-2010, 06:38 PM
This signing drops the compensatory pick for Dunta to a 7th rounder.

I hope this doesn't close the door to re-signing Pitts.

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 06:46 PM

This could truly be a glorious day indeed. This also helps make G/C less of a need early in the draft.

thanks Smith. not a sexy or high impact signing, but it does afford the Texans some flexibility come draft day.

I truley hope it does. WHere will the party be when Myers is cut?

TexCanada
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I will still not be surprised if Myers is the starting C in the first game.

D-Frank
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I like the signing, too. Sexy doesn't win championships. Large, sweaty men in the trenches do.

haha, true

Big Lou
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
What about Wigman????

Would we still go after him? He's a little old, but hell my Maternal Grandmother could block better than Meyers, and shes old and only 4' 10" and 130 lbs!!!!!!

Dutchrudder
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Got a source for that claim? Cause I know from all that I've read about it, you must first have a net loss of free agents. Signing Smith means we are now even at 1 lost and 1 gained. Everything that I have read about awarding the picks says that you do not lose a pick's quality based signing lower quality players. In this case, Wade Smith would have to be ranked at or above the same compensatory round value to affect the Dunta pick. Somehow I doubt they will be the same. I imagine Dunta is worth a 3rd and this guy is worth a 5/6th.

NitroGSXR
03-10-2010, 06:54 PM
What about Wigman????

Would we still go after him? He's a little old, but hell my Maternal Grandmother could block better than Meyers, and shes old and only 4' 10" and 130 lbs!!!!!!

Sure. Let 'em all battle it out.

TexCanada
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM
What about Wigman????

Ya but her contract demands were outrageous.

Dutchrudder
03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
What about Wigman????

I dunno about your grandma, but I wouldn't mind seeing Betty White giving it a shot. That sure would sell some pre-season tickets!

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
As much as I would like to get behind the guy and think he's a versatile OL who is coming for a starting job....

I just watched the Jammal Charles highlight video that Tex posted.....watch it and solely focus in on #74, you won't be disappointed at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDJg6cW5lc

This guy looks like a player and we shouldn't sell him short.....I can see this guy starting for us next season. He might be Bernard Pollard 2.0 (as in another steal FA we got from the chiefs)

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:08 PM

As much as I hate Chris Myers, after watching that tape, I'm leaving Wade Smith at G.....he looks pretty freaking good there. Maybe Caldwell will beat Myers out and we can get another guard/C in the draft to battle it out also.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Smart move. While he was on the Chiefs, he was a solid starting OG last year. His versatility allows him to also play Center. I expect the texans to still draft another OG/OC in the draft, but they can wait a little now.

I see this happening:

Brown---Pitts (I still think they will re-sign him)---Smith---Briesel---Winston

TexCanada
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
As much as I hate Chris Myers, after watching that tape, I'm leaving Wade Smith at G.....he looks pretty freaking good there. Maybe Caldwell will beat Myers out and we can get another guard/C in the draft to battle it out also.

Brown/Smith/Caldwell/Briesel/Winston?

That seems decent enough

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Listening to Johnny Harris (1560), he thinks thats a bad idea because like Myers, Smith is on the fairly small side.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

That seems decent enough

I think Wade Smith is going to be Briesel's replacement.....that's where Wade played most his snaps and Jammal apparently took off when he was placed there.

kiwitexansfan
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
FWIW I checked some KCC message boards and the general consensus is that they are disappointed he wasn't resigned as they valued his versatility and thought he could win a starters spot.

The other common thought is that we paid more than the KCC were willing to match and may have overpaid him.

The thing that I like is that Kubiak has pursued him for some time and finally has him which makes me think that Kubiak thinks he will really fit and help our offense.

For me I would like our line this year to look like this....

Brown - Pitts - Caldwell - Smith - Winston

Lucky
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Got a source for that claim? Cause I know from all that I've read about it, you must first have a net loss of free agents. Signing Smith means we are now even at 1 lost and 1 gained. Everything that I have read about awarding the picks says that you do not lose a pick's quality based signing lower quality players. In this case, Wade Smith would have to be ranked at or above the same compensatory round value to affect the Dunta pick. Somehow I doubt they will be the same. I imagine Dunta is worth a 3rd and this guy is worth a 5/6th.
Well, that's not accurate. Reading AdamJT13's compensatory draft pick blog (http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html), the result of losing Robinson and signing Smith becomes clear.

It is possible for a team to get a compensatory pick even if it doesn’t suffer a net loss of qualifying free agents. That type of comp pick comes at the end of the seventh round, after the normal comp picks and before the non-compensatory picks that are added if fewer than 32 comp picks are awarded. There have been 14 of these “net value” type of comp picks awarded, and in each case, the combined value of the free agents lost was significantly higher than the combined value of the free agents added. In all 14 cases, those teams lost the same number of qualifying free agents as they signed. No team has been awarded a comp pick after signing more qualifying free agents than it lost, no matter how significant the difference in combined value.
Lost (1) Robinson
Signed (1) Smith

Since the net loss of qualifying free agents equals zero, the Texans would not be getting that 3rd round compensatory pick. However, with Robinson's contract having a far greater value than Smith's, the Texans would receive a "net value" pick, which falls in the 7th round. That's if the Texans do not sign another qualifying free agent. If they do, they get squat for compensatory picks.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Listening to Johnny Harris (1560), he thinks thats a bad idea because like Myers, Smith is on the fairly small side.

But unlike Myers, Smith seems to hold his own in that video. (you can be small and still hold your own, Myers is small, but he also gets tossed around like a rag doll) I don't want Myers to start regardless of what they do with Smith.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:15 PM

That's what I'm hoping for too.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
FWIW I checked some KCC message boards and the general consensus is that they are disappointed he wasn't resigned as they valued his versatility and thought he could win a starters spot.

The other common thought is that we paid more than the KCC were willing to match and may have overpaid him.

The thing that I like is that Kubiak has pursued him for some time and finally has him which makes me think that Kubiak thinks he will really fit and help our offense.

For me I would like our line this year to look like this....

That's what I'm hoping for too.

Harris also mentioned this combo, which would totally make the other situation go away. However Harris seems to think that Briesel is somewhat under-rated.

m5kwatts
03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Anyone who thinks Myers won't be starting has no concept of line calls and pointing out blitzes before the snap....you really want Caldwell handling those duties? Winston said it himself on the radio, the center position is vastly different from the other 4 spots in that there's more cerebral work than the other spots. Winston said he thinks RG is the best spot for Caldwell because he doesn't have to have that pressure on him.

I'm not saying Myers is great or even good but I'm definitely a lot more comfortable with him in there specifically because of his presnap abilities. And I'd think Kubiak is too. Do we really want Schaub taking a blindside shot because Caldwell was too inexperienced to be able to point out the blitz presnap?

TheRealJoker
03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Our team just got better at its biggest weakness today. Smith is better than every player we had starting on the interior OL the majority of last season.

Lucky
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Do we really want Schaub taking a blindside shot because Caldwell was too inexperienced to be able to point out the blitz presnap?
Do we really want Schaub taking a shot from a charging 350 lb DT who destroys Myers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ9lYyj4uQ)?

I don't know what the answer is. Myers is a NFL backup masquerading as a starter. Do the Texans have a viable alternative at center??? I just don't see the answer as obvious.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Anyone who thinks Myers won't be starting has no concept of line calls and pointing out blitzes before the snap....you really want Caldwell handling those duties? Winston said it himself on the radio, the center position is vastly different from the other 4 spots in that there's more cerebral work than the other spots. Winston said he thinks RG is the best spot for Caldwell because he doesn't have to have that pressure on him.

I'm not saying Myers is great or even good but I'm definitely a lot more comfortable with him in there specifically because of his presnap abilities. And I'd think Kubiak is too. Do we really want Schaub taking a blindside shot because Caldwell was too inexperienced to be able to point out the blitz presnap?

Umm, Winston is also Myers' ex college teammate and buddy....I'm not taking anything he says about Myers seriously...he's clearly biased and is looking out for his friend.

Young centers come in this league all the time and excel at that position, it is a position that CAN BE LEARNED BY YOUNG PLAYERS. Myers isn't that great at line calls to flat out ignore everything else he is flat out horrible and inept at. A team that starts Chris Myers at the center position is a team that will not be going to the playoffs next season....I have said that from the minute I got a good look at the dude and I won't change that opinion next season if he's starting. (regardless of what his "Broham" Winston has to say) He'll probably get Matt Schaub and knocked out of the lineup.

m5kwatts
03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Umm, Winston is also Myers' ex college teammate and buddy....I'm not taking anything he says about Myers seriously...he's clearly biased and is looking out for his friend.

Young centers come in this league all the time and excel at that position, it is a position that CAN BE LEARNED BY YOUNG PLAYERS. Myers isn't that great at line calls to flat out ignore everything else he is flat out horrible and inept at. A team that starts Chris Myers at the center position is a team that will not be going to the playoffs next season....I have said that from the minute I got a good look at the dude and I won't change that opinion next season if he's starting. He'll probably get Matt Schaub and knocked out of the lineup.

I never said Myers was good, just that I trust him handling presnap reads more than Caldwell. The Texans haven't even used Caldwell at center for a second, that tells you all you need to know about his ability to handle those presnap duties. Could a rookie center we draft this year do it or even this Wade Smith kid? Sure, my post was more of an attack against Caldwell's ability to play center, not trying to prop Myers.

Do we really want Schaub taking a shot from a charging 350 lb DT who destroys Myers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ9lYyj4uQ)?

I don't know what the answer is. Myers is a NFL backup masquerading as a starter. Do the Texans have a viable alternative at center??? I just don't see the answer as obvious.

How about coach calling a double team on Jenkins? Jesus Christ, no one in the NFL can block that guy one on one, and in the 3-4 scheme, you NT is supposed to tie up 2 blockers. Why we singled up Myers on Jenkins is beyond me and is a reflection on the coaching staff not Myers.

ObsiWan
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this
on the other hand, it should mean Pitts/Brisiel will have work to do if they want to start.

Nawzer
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it was a good day for the Texans. Adding quality offensive line depth makes me and I'm sure Matt Schaub happy. I won't complain about adding o-linesman, we can't have enough of those guys around here. Welcome to the Texans Wade Smith!

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Any help we can get on the O line is a good thing.

I sure feel blessed to see Meyers out there too giving the Texans additional OL help this year.:tomato:

DocBar
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I never said Myers was good, just that I trust him handling presnap reads more than Caldwell. The Texans haven't even used Caldwell at center for a second, that tells you all you need to know about his ability to handle those presnap duties. Could a rookie center we draft this year do it or even this Wade Smith kid? Sure, my post was more of an attack against Caldwell's ability to play center, not trying to prop Myers.

How about coach calling a double team on Jenkins? Jesus Christ, no one in the NFL can block that guy one on one, and in the 3-4 scheme, you NT is supposed to tie up 2 blockers. Why we singled up Myers on Jenkins is beyond me and is a reflection on the coaching staff not Myers.
Now THAT is a true statement. For a good part of the season, double teams weren't that effective against him. Must spread rep.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Weren't you just bragging about Myer's presnap reads.....yeah, Myers can call a double team if he wants too. I still haven't seen where he excels at presnap adjustments. Houston isn't great at protecting the QB (Schaub just gets the ball out) and they suck at run blocking also...most of that starts and ends with Myers.

The guy is just the best thing since Seth McKinney left and that isn't saying much since Myers practically took over when he left. Soon as we find a viable replacement nobody will miss Myers.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 08:08 PM

In a weird sort of way, I think this enhances the chances of Pitts being resigned. I'm not completely sure why I feel this way, but I do.

redwhiteANDblue
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepAw4Fcmcg

Wade Smith played center in KC? If so he looks pretty good in here. A lot of this was Charles's work but still the O-line did pretty well.

kiwitexansfan
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM

If I recall correctly I think one of Caldwell's selling points was his intelligence and ability to make good lines calls. He has played in our system for a year so should no our line calls.

Goatcheese
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I still hope they bring in Rob Sims. One G/C isn't going to fix what we saw last year. A 4th for a guy who is a borderline probowler is a steal.

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM

That seems decent enough

For all of you who have projected that Smith will be placed at LG, be aware that in his entire career he has basically never played LG. I suspect he could be "converted," but it begs the question why no LG assignment.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
For all of you who have projected that Smith will be placed at LG, be aware that in his entire career he has basically never played LG. I suspect he could be "converted," but it begs the question why no LG assignment.

Which is why I'd keep him at RG where we played well at last season.

bckey
03-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Overpaid him? No. It's probably because we made him the best offer he could get or wanted.

I wasn't saying we overpaid him. I was saying I like that he visited 3 teams and chose the Texans. I'm pretty sure the money was close at all 3 locations.

NitroGSXR
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
If I recall correctly I think one of Caldwell's selling points was his intelligence and ability to make good lines calls. He has played in our system for a year so should no our line calls.

This is just me judging a book by its cover so not much merit to it. I got Orlovsky and Caldwell's signatures last year at all access. Caldwell didn't strike me as an overly intelligent man. I asked him some questions and I think a couple of them went woosh with very simplistic answers. Orlovsky, on the other hand, struck me as an intelligent guy. Just a first impression is all it is. First impressions are lasting impressions but my assertation of him is baseless.

awtysst
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM

Good point. Maybe we slide Brisel over to LG while we wait for our rookie LG to learn the system. We could also sign Pitts and have him compete with Briesel for the spot now and let later round OG learn.

Brown---Briesel/Pitts---Caldwell---Smith---Winston

1. Butler would be swing tackle backup
2. White, Myers, Studdard, and rookie would fight it out for the depth positions.

OR

We slide Caldwell to LG, plug in Smith as the RG and draft a OC with our second rounder like JD Walton and stick him into the Center spot.

Brown---Caldwell----Walton----Smith----Winston

Pantherstang84
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I just watched the Jammal Charles highlight video that Tex posted.....watch it and solely focus in on #74, you won't be disappointed at all.

This guy looks like a player and we shouldn't sell him short.....I can see this guy starting for us next season. He might be Bernard Pollard 2.0 (as in another steal FA we got from the chiefs)

Rep. Nice! Didn't see him get beat once in that clip. Gets to the second level quickly too.

Texanmike02
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
This is terrible. We should have spent more money. I'm sure we could have spend that money on leigh bodden... hell we could have given that money to LT. Who's the next best free agent CB? This free agent class represented a very below average crop.. and we could have had the 3rd or 4th best CB that nobody wanted on their team.

BOOOOO!!! MR. MCNAIR YOU ARE A CHEAPSKATE. AT LEAST MAKE THE NUMBERS HIGHER SO WE GO OOOOOHHHHHH LOOK HOW MUCH WE SPENT!!

Mike

awtysst
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
This is just me judging a book by its cover so not much merit to it. I got Orlovsky and Caldwell's signatures last year at all access. Caldwell didn't strike me as an overly intelligent man. I asked him some questions and I think a couple of them went woosh with very simplistic answers. Orlovsky, on the other hand, struck me as an intelligent guy. Just a first impression is all it is. First impressions are lasting impressions but my assertation of him is baseless.

While it is not an end all/be all, Caldwell supposedly took the Wunderlich twice. The first time he scored 17/28(ie he got 17 correct and only attempted 28) and the second time he was 24/41 (ie 24 correct our of 41 attempted questions). The avg score for centers last year was 25, so he was basically in the average group. Supposedly Orlo had a 30.

m5kwatts
03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Weren't you just bragging about Myer's presnap reads.....yeah, Myers can call a double team if he wants too. I still haven't seen where he excels at presnap adjustments. Houston isn't great at protecting the QB (Schaub just gets the ball out) and they suck at run blocking also...most of that starts and ends with Myers.

The guy is just the best thing since Seth McKinney left and that isn't saying much since Myers practically took over when he left. Soon as we find a viable replacement nobody will miss Myers.

Whose to say Myers didn't call for a double team on that play and someone missed an assignment?

I hate to say it, but whoever Myers replacement is will be around the same size, at or just under 300lbs. So if you're holding out for a 6'5" 330lb center you'll be sorely disappointed because it just doesn't fit the scheme.

However Jeff Saturday plays at around 280 and never seems to struggle with bull rushes... so size isn't everything

MFG16
03-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Good point. Maybe we slide Brisel over to LG while we wait for our rookie LG to learn the system. We could also sign Pitts and have him compete with Briesel for the spot now and let later round OG learn.

Brown---Briesel/Pitts---Caldwell---Smith---Winston

1. Butler would be swing tackle backup
2. White, Myers, Studdard, and rookie would fight it out for the depth positions.

OR

We slide Caldwell to LG, plug in Smith as the RG and draft a OC with our second rounder like JD Walton and stick him into the Center spot.

Brown---Caldwell----Walton----Smith----Winston

This is what I think the Oline will look like next year but unfortunately with a different center. i think will keep myers starting atleast one more year. Sidenote: i heard on 610, i think it was Barry, that the texans view caldwell as a gaurd. that when they drafted him, they interviewed alabamas coaching staff and found that his best position was gaurd. so with that in mind i dont see him playing center.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM

That clip had me all fired up. I'm not a sip fan, but Jammal Charles had me all geekin'. That said, there were some clips where Smith got blown up, OTOH, I saw some plays where Smith was pretty damn good at making a block at the point of attack and good enough to get to the second level, chipping a linebacker.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Whose to say Myers didn't call for a double team on that play and someone missed an assignment?

So are we to just assume everytime something doesn't go Chris Myers' way it's some other player or coach's fault?

I hate to say it, but whoever Myers replacement is will be around the same size, at or just under 300lbs. So if you're holding out for a 6'5" 330lb center you'll be sorely disappointed because it just doesn't fit the scheme.

However Jeff Saturday plays at around 280 and never seems to struggle with bull rushes... so size isn't everything

I'm guessing you missed this discussion that took place in this same thread.

But unlike Myers, Smith seems to hold his own in that video. (you can be small and still hold your own, Myers is small, but he also gets tossed around like a rag doll) I don't want Myers to start regardless of what they do with Smith.

Myers' problem isn't just that he's undersized, there have been PLENTY of excellent undersized centers (Kevin Mawae). His main problem is that he's weak. He'd probably be weak even at a bigger weight...hell he supposedly added weight before last season and was still weak as ever.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Yes he will.. I introduce to you..... Wade Smith. :)

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
That clip had me all fired up. I'm not a sip fan, but Jammal Charles had me all geekin'. That said, there were some clips where Smith got blown up, OTOH, I saw some plays where Smith was pretty damn good at making a block at the point of attack and good enough to get to the second level, chipping a linebacker.

Yeah I saw those as well, but it was refreshing to watch a player win his fair share of battles also...unlike what we had to watch last season.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 09:18 PM
This is terrible. We should have spent more money. I'm sure we could have spend that money on leigh bodden... hell we could have given that money to LT. Who's the next best free agent CB? This free agent class represented a very below average crop.. and we could have had the 3rd or 4th best CB that nobody wanted on their team.

BOOOOO!!! MR. MCNAIR YOU ARE A CHEAPSKATE. AT LEAST MAKE THE NUMBERS HIGHER SO WE GO OOOOOHHHHHH LOOK HOW MUCH WE SPENT!!

Mike

Mike you're off your meds bro. The Texans (repotedly) offered similar money to Bodden, that he got in NE. LT (and I like the guy), isn't worth the money he's asking for. Have we not learned our lesson on older backs? The greatest back, ever (barring Jim Brown) had a career of 8 years and the last couple of those weren't that productive...
*Luv Ya Earlers!"

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah I saw those as well, but it was refreshing to watch a player win his fair share of battles also...unlike what we had to watch last season.

Oh yeah, he's a battler and will hold his own. He doesn't get embarrassingly blown up. He just occasionally gets beat. And who hasn't? *well maybe Bruce Mathews, Mike Munchak, or Dean Steinkuhler?* ;)

kiwitexansfan
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike you're off your meds bro. The Texans (repotedly) offered similar money to Bodden, that he got in NE. LT (and I like the guy), isn't worth the money he's asking for. Have we not learned our lesson on older backs? The greatest back, ever (barring Jim Brown) had a career of 8 years and the last couple of those weren't that productive...
*Luv Ya Earlers!"

I'm wondering if Mike was attempting sarcasm.... it's really hard to know sometimes

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm wondering if Mike was attempting sarcasm.... it's really hard to know sometimes

LOL, this is exactly what I was thinking when I read that post.

Brisco_County
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I like this pick up. The guy penetrates into the second level on run blocking in many of those highlights. He has good hustle and stamina.

I don't see this guy moving to center, since guard is more important for run blocking, and he appears to do that pretty well. I'm very happy with this.

Keep 'em coming, KC.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Y'all are right. Mike can be hard to read sometimes. Especially considering I read his posts in the NSZ (many of which I agree with). Either way, it's all good.

Napa Auto Parts
03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I sure hope this guy can cover R.Wayne and every other top notch reciever we might face.:fans:

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I sure hope this guy can cover R.Wayne and every other top notch reciever we might face.:fans:

Or maybe he'll be able to get our RBs into the endzone untouched from inside the 1 yard line where we would've swept the Jags and beat the Cardinals, thus EASILY making the playoffs regardless of being swept by Indy.

Interior line play problem was much >>>>>>>>>> than secondary problems.

Napa Auto Parts
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Or maybe he'll be able to get our RBs into the endzone untouched from inside the 1 yard line where we would've swept the Jags and beat the Cardinals, thus EASILY making the playoffs regardless of being swept by Indy.

Interior line play problem was much >>>>>>>>>> than secondary problems.

Silly Rabbit if were on the 1 yard you know a half back pass is coming :fingergun:

steelbtexan
03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Smiths is good pick up, so while it's not a sexy signing I could see the OL looking something like this.

Brown Caldwell Weigmann Smith Winston

Butler Brisiel Myers Petrus Butler

Not a bad OL and certianly an upgrade over Studdard, Myers and White at the interior OL positions

Texan4Ever
03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Here's what the folks at ChiefsPlanet are saying about Wade:

Why? Dumb Pioli

Kind of wondering KC's thought process on not making an effort to bring WS back. He can just about play every line position.

Thats a lot of jack for a guy who has never been a starter for a season.

He probably should have been starting for this team to be fair.

Goodjob letting go of one of the few players who was worth a ****.

Doesn't mean much but its always good to get a fans reaction to a player.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Myers' problem isn't just that he's undersized, there have been PLENTY of excellent undersized centers (Kevin Mawae). His main problem is that he's weak. He'd probably be weak even at a bigger weight...hell he supposedly added weight before last season and was still weak as ever.

Agreed!

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
So are we to just assume everytime something doesn't go Chris Myers' way it's some other player or coach's fault?

It's the coach's fault by the mere fact the he's out there at all.:gun:

What he needs is to begin lifting as heavy weights as his strengthening coach does.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/stancho/Richard_Simmons_Fitness_Guru_RARE_STUDIO_PROMO_Sig ned__522.jpg

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Smiths is good pick up, so while it's not a sexy signing I could see the OL looking something like this.

Brown Caldwell Weigmann Smith Winston

Butler Brisiel Myers Petrus Butler

Not a bad OL and certianly an upgrade over Studdard, Myers and White at the interior OL positions

Not bad looking at all. Although I don't think Myers is a great center, I think he's definitely a valuable player to have on this team. I think the 6th round trade for him was good. But I like him on our team as a back up a lot if we can get a better center.

I hope we can re-sign Pitts, I really like Caldwell and Brisiel and I like this pick up of Smith. Pitts is the only one that we know can (could) play LG... Caldwell, Brisiel and Smith have been RG's. I think Caldwell has a lot of upside and is young so I hope he would be able to transition over to LG. I just know very little about the OL in this regard. OL is looking better!!

CloakNNNdagger
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Not bad looking at all. Although I don't think Myers is a great center, I think he's definitely a valuable player to have on this team. I think the 6th round trade for him was good. But I like him on our team as a back up a lot if we can get a better center.

I hope we can re-sign Pitts, I really like Caldwell and Brisiel and I like this pick up of Smith. Pitts is the only one that we know can (could) play LG... Caldwell, Brisiel and Smith have been RG's. I think Caldwell has a lot of upside and is young so I hope he would be able to transition over to LG. I just know very little about the OL in this regard. OL is looking better!!

Pitts actually made Brown look better.

TheRealJoker
03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
It will be VERY interesting if we add a guy like Iupati or Pouncey in the draft. We might actually see our OL push some people around next season in that case!!!

I'm still holding out hope the Texans make a run for Wiegmann to knock Myers out of the starting slot. If not, i'll be holding out hope we can find a way to grab Pouncey to knock him off. Either way, I just want an upgrade over Myers...is that so much to ask for?

GP
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
What he needs is to begin lifting as heavy weights as his strengthening coach does.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/stancho/Richard_Simmons_Fitness_Guru_RARE_STUDIO_PROMO_Sig ned__522.jpg

I don't like the proximity of his hands to those barbells. It was just disturbing to me. Just like when someone has a booger on their nose, you look right at it immediately. My eyes went straight to the very round, and very closely-grouped-together barbells. And then back up to his smile.

On another note: Those things are plastic and empty, aren't they?

LOL. Goodness, the 1980s have officially taken over the 70s as goofiest decade ever.

That photo has so many elements that can be evaluated.

Thanks, CND. You're a trooper for dragging that photo out of your keepsake box. :roast:

Texan4Ever
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
What if we traded down and picked up a 2nd or 3rd and drafted Maurkice Pouncey or Trent Williams instead? Both of these guys can play Center/Guard well.

m5kwatts
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm guessing you missed this discussion that took place in this same thread.

We can't assume anything given that we don't know the play called or the protection necessary to execute the play. All I know is that its crazy to put any center in the league one on one vs. Jenkins, he demands a double team every snap.

Texanmike02
03-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Y'all are right. Mike can be hard to read sometimes. Especially considering I read his posts in the NSZ (many of which I agree with). Either way, it's all good.

I wasn't exactly being sarcastic... I was just trying to look at it from the other side. I thought that if I typed it enough... and read it over and over and over.. and then recited it in the mirror that I could believe it. Apparently I can't. I like the signing for the record. Not too much.. and at this point, we can use any depth we can get on the line.

Mike

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Here's what the folks at ChiefsPlanet are saying about Wade:

Doesn't mean much but its always good to get a fans reaction to a player.

And if you remember what they said when we signed Jordan Black then it looks like they know what they're talking about.

Remember when they laughed their asses off, thanked the lord for having that bum off their team, and we all first learned of the notorious "I-65" nickname.

Let's hope most of them are right once again.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
We can't assume anything given that we don't know the play called or the protection necessary to execute the play. All I know is that its crazy to put any center in the league one on one vs. Jenkins, he demands a double team every snap.

Now that is something we can agree on, that guy is a beast, by the true definition of the word.

Wolf6151
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I appreciate the addition of depth to the O-line, this move will hopefully upgrade our backups, but can we quit screwing around and add some high quality starters to our interior O-line.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I appreciate the addition of depth to the O-line, this move will hopefully upgrade our backups, but can we quit screwing around and add some high quality starters to our interior O-line.

Once upon a time way back when Jeff Saturday was just a after thought on the Colts roster. (just like Bernard Pollard was a after thought when we first picked him up) I'm not saying Wade Smith is going to be a Jeff Saturday type interior lineman, but if you look around we aren't fielding pro bowlers there. This guy could easily be a quality starter and a good upgrade for us.

I still remember when Titan fans were like "Kyle who?" (I was saying the same thing) and he turned out to be a pretty good lineman for them also.

Corrosion
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Versatile O-lineman that played C for the the Kansas City Chefs last year.

WTF did KC do last year ? :gun:

ChampionTexan
03-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Two games better than they did the year before when Pollard was playing for them.

steelbtexan
03-11-2010, 12:03 AM

Look at the bright side it would be impossible for Smith to be worse than any of the interior OL on the Texans last year.

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Let go of a quality Strong Safety.

m5kwatts
03-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Let go of a quality Strong Safety.

Glad this was brought up because I've been meaning to post this for awhile, why is Scott Pioli regarded as such a "genius" still after making that move? That was one of the dumbest personnel moves of 2009 yet the media still crowns this guy. Hope he was just as dumb to let Wade Smith go.

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Glad this was brought up because I've been meaning to post this for awhile, why is Scott Pioli regarded as such a "genius" still after making that move? That was one of the dumbest personnel moves of 2009 yet the media still crowns this guy. Hope he was just as dumb to let Wade Smith go.

From what I've seen of Smith's youtube highlights, Pioli is that dumb.

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Well, he may not solve the center problem from a physicality standpoint. Howver, as a guard, he immediately becomes the most athletic interior lineman on the team. He is perfect for the hook and reach blocks, as well as getting to the second level. This guy can excel in the zone scheme!

BigBull17
03-11-2010, 07:19 AM

He made two of the dumbest moves last year. First trading for and paying Cassel crazy jack. The second was Pollard.

El Tejano
03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
He made two of the dumbest moves last year. First trading for and paying Cassel crazy jack. The second was Pollard.

I don't know, Cassel has looked pretty decent with that team. They certainly play tougher than they have the previous years before Cassel.

BIG TORO
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
You all are missing the best thing about this signing, We play KC this year maybe we can get some inside info!

IDEXAN
03-11-2010, 07:55 AM
While there's a different skill set between playing the tackle positions, what if
any are the differences between LG & RG other than a player being comfortable between being "left-sided" vs "right-sided".

BigBull17
03-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't know, Cassel has looked pretty decent with that team. They certainly play tougher than they have the previous years before Cassel.

From the games I saw, I thought he looked awful. Maybe I'm missing something...but I doubt it. Trading for Cassel was a decent move, IMO, I just wouldn't have payed him 66 mil with 20 something guaranteed.

ChampionTexan
03-11-2010, 08:23 AM
From the games I saw, I thought he looked awful. Maybe I'm missing something...but I doubt it. Trading for Cassel was a decent move, IMO, I just wouldn't have payed him 66 mil with 20 something guaranteed.

You're right - he was terrible. I'm from K.C., still follow the Chiefs pretty closely, and talk to family and friends who are hard-core fans, and the Cassell hate started early and continued the entire season. Because of the Cassell contract, I don't see anything happening (and I wouldn't be a big fan of it if it did), but it will be interesting to see if there's any interest on the Chiefs part in trading for Quinn - what with their new OC and all.

2slik4u
03-11-2010, 08:41 AM
depth, depth, depth.

dc_txtech
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
depth, depth, depth.

I bet he's starting by game 1.

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2010, 09:06 AM
While there's a different skill set between playing the tackle positions, what if any are the differences between LG & RG other than a player being comfortable between being "left-sided" vs "right-sided".
That's what I was asking. What are the differences, if any? I've always kind of thought LG's should be better at pass blocking while RG's should be better at run blocking, but don't know if that's accurate.

I think highly of Drew Boylhart's opinion (huddle report) towards college players/draft prospects. He thinks Bama's Mike Johnson is a versatile lineman but can start day 1 for a team at LG. Conversely, he likes Illinois' Jon Asamoah too, but isn't sure he is not sure if he has the quickness and enough lateral agility to play LG in the NFL and may be better at RG.

So I think the same holds true for Smith, Brisiel and Caldwell. I just don't know enough about the x's and o's or how to watch the OL to tell who should go where. Luckily Kubiak and Dennison are some of the best in the business at this!!

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
After watching CB's video clip, he does seem a little quicker than what we had. It seemed like he left his feet at times where it wasn't necessary and did get overwhelmed a couple times, but seemed like he recovered fairly well.

I still hope we can strike a deal with Pitts. If we're able to bring Pitts back and Brisiel comes back healthy, we'll have a sweet competition going this off-season.

BullNation4Life
03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I am hoping by the end of TC, the Texans line looks like so...

Brown, Smith, Caldwell, Brisiel,Winston

Or

Brown, Caldwell, Smith, Brisiel, Winston

I think this would be a solid front 5 and their running game would improve drastically...

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
I am hoping by the end of TC, the Texans line looks like so...

Brown, Smith, Caldwell, Brisiel,Winston

Or

Brown, Caldwell, Smith, Brisiel, Winston

I think this would be a solid front 5 and their running game would improve drastically...

I'm hoping for something like this;

Brown - Pitts - TBD - Smith - Winston

I'm not sold that our C is presently on our roster yet. If Pitts is healthy and does re-sign then I find it hard to beleive he'll get beat out at LG. I do have smith penciled in at RG, but I expect a huge battle at the position. Let the best one win

Big Lou
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
While there's a different skill set between playing the tackle positions, what if
any are the differences between LG & RG other than a player being comfortable between being "left-sided" vs "right-sided".

I could be way off base here I'm no expert, but the right side is ussually the run blocking side, and the left is the pass blocking side. Teams run to both sides, but the left side protects the blind side of the QB, so first and foremost they must protect the QB. I've seen a lot of teams have thier LG pull and block on the rights side.

So in my very novice opinion:

LG: Pass blocker that is athletic enought to pull.

RG: Straight ahead bull dozer type

I would say in the Zone Scheme you would want two LG types, so they are probably more alike than other schemes.

Don't blast me if I'm wrong this is merely one mans humble opinion/observation!!!!

El Tejano
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
You're right - he was terrible. I'm from K.C., still follow the Chiefs pretty closely, and talk to family and friends who are hard-core fans, and the Cassell hate started early and continued the entire season. Because of the Cassell contract, I don't see anything happening (and I wouldn't be a big fan of it if it did), but it will be interesting to see if there's any interest on the Chiefs part in trading for Quinn - what with their new OC and all.

I guess you know more since you live there and follow them closer than I do, but in his defense, he came into a team that was already bad offensively until he got Chambers. As the season went on though, he was chucking it downfield quite a bit and heck, they almost beat Dallas.

gtexan02
03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
This guy has too many names that conjure up bad memories of FA past.
Todd Wade
Robaire Smith

hmmm

BigBull17
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
This guy has too many names that conjure up bad memories of FA past.
Todd Wade
Robaire Smith

hmmm

Why did you say that? Now I'm gonna hate the signing. Is it their love child?

BullNation4Life
03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm hoping for something like this;

Brown - Pitts - TBD - Smith - Winston

I'm not sold that our C is presently on our roster yet. If Pitts is healthy and does re-sign then I find it hard to beleive he'll get beat out at LG. I do have smith penciled in at RG, but I expect a huge battle at the position. Let the best one win

you have 2 prospects in Caldwell and Smith. Both play Center as well as Guard...

If Pitts comes back, even better, now you could have

Brown, Pitts, Smith, Caldwell, Winston
Brown, Pitts, Caldwell, Smith , Winston

then you have Brisiel, Meyers, White, Studdard and Black as backups and all the backups have been starters at one time or another, except Black in this system, so there wouldn't be too much fall of if one of the starters got hurt...

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
you have 2 prospects in Caldwell and Smith. Both play Center as well as Guard...

If Pitts comes back, even better, now you could have

Brown, Pitts, Smith, Caldwell, Winston
Brown, Pitts, Caldwell, Smith , Winston

then you have Brisiel, Meyers, White, Studdard and Black as backups...

So far, they view Caldwell as a G. To be honest, he wasn't really that good last season. He wasn't consistent enough to win the job over White, hence the on-going rotation throughout the season.

I've yet to see Smith at C, so I project him to G until then.

*edit: Who's Black? If you're referring to Jordan Black, he was cut over 2 years ago

BullNation4Life
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
So far, they view Caldwell as a G. To be honest, he wasn't really that good last season. He wasn't consistent enough to win the job over White, hence the on-going rotation throughout the season.

I've yet to see Smith at C, so I project him to G until then.

*edit: Who's Black? If you're referring to Jordan Black, he was cut over a year ago

I think I ment Butler...which ever one got tendered a 3rd rounder this year...

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I think I ment Butler...which ever one got tendered a 3rd rounder this year...

Ah, gotcha. Rashad Butler, swing tackle who impressed me last pre-season.

badboy
03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I think it is time for Caldwell to take the right guard position. Smith is a reasonable($3m) possibility that could start or at least strengthen line.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I think it is time for Caldwell to take the right guard position. Smith is a reasonable($3m) possibility that could start or at least strengthen line.

It is time for him to take the position, but he's done nothing to deserve it. He had a chance to take it, he didn't. Hopefully he gets better this off-season and wins the position.

badboy
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
It is time for him to take the position, but he's done nothing to deserve it. He had a chance to take it, he didn't. Hopefully he gets better this off-season and wins the position.Thought I was only one to feel this way.

BullNation4Life
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
It is time for him to take the position, but he's done nothing to deserve it. He had a chance to take it, he didn't. Hopefully he gets better this off-season and wins the position.

Not as an excuse to Caldwell but that was a new position for him as well. I do not know the learning curve from center, which he played in college, to guard in the ZBS. I think another year as a guard, we might see an improvement...

Runner
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm looking forward to an improved running game next season. I think it's vital for the team to add consistency there to take the next step.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm looking forward to an improved running game next season. I think it's vital for the team to add consistency there to take the next step.

Agreed. Plus, our passing game relies heavily on play-action. I remember a couple occasions where Kubiak mentioned they had to rely on the straight drop back pass more due to the lack of a running game. I'm actually surprised the play action we did run worked pretty good. Imagine if we had a decent to good running game. I reckon we'd see #80 running by himself 25-30 yards downfield more often.

IDEXAN
03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I could be way off base here I'm no expert, but the right side is ussually the run blocking side, and the left is the pass blocking side. Teams run to both sides, but the left side protects the blind side of the QB, so first and foremost they must protect the QB. I've seen a lot of teams have thier LG pull and block on the rights side.

So in my very novice opinion:

LG: Pass blocker that is athletic enought to pull.

RG: Straight ahead bull dozer type

I would say in the Zone Scheme you would want two LG types, so they are probably more alike than other schemes.

Don't blast me if I'm wrong this is merely one mans humble opinion/observation!!!!
What you and Ole Miss are saying makes sense. And you know, guess it is the
LG who's on the 3-Tech and the RG who's on the NT when an OLine goes against a standard 4-3 defensive alignment.
Of course that raises another question: why do we have Studdard, a guy who is one of our most unathletic OLineman, playing LG ? Or conversly maybe it just shows how much help we need in the interior of our OLine ?

Section516
03-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Why hasen't Casey Weigmann been brought in?

Any reason at all?

Alright Kubes, You let him go visit Daddy Shanny, You did what you feel is owed, now, your turn.

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Why hasen't Casey Weigmann been brought in?

Any reason at all?

Alright Kubes, You let him go visit Daddy Shanny, You did what you feel is owed, now, your turn.

He's old, can't play guard, and they signed Wade Smith. I'm guessing those are some of the factors.

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
He's old, can't play guard, and they signed Wade Smith. I'm guessing those are some of the factors.

And he's from Denver. Kubiak doesn't sign Denver guys anymore because the message board made fun of him so much.

Section516
03-11-2010, 02:48 PM

He was a pro bowl alternate in 2009 Pro Bowl, knows the system, and c'mon man, hes gotta be better than Myers

steelbtexan
03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
He was a pro bowl alternate in 2009 Pro Bowl, knows the system, and c'mon man, hes gotta be better than Myers

Yep

We dont need a pro-bowl caliber C on this team. We've got Myers. I dont care if Wiegmann is 57 he's probably better than Myers. Kubes manlove for Myers is never ending.

barrett
03-11-2010, 03:42 PM
He's going to be very good in our system based on his athleticism and what I observed to be aggressiveness. Caldwell was/is also very athletic compared to our current interior group. What's got me scratching my head is who and where. I'm very curious to see where Dennison/Benton have things when it's all shaken out. I can't speak for Dennison but I'm going to assume that the Texans aren't going to be trying to move people around too much. Historically that's not how they operate. I would be very surprised to see guys moving from right to left etc.. Kubiak loves having swing guys backing up to save roster spots on game day. If I'm not mistaken Caldwell served as the swing G along with Chris White (depending on who was in the lineup). So I suppose it's possible that Caldwell's position could change.

We kept hearing out of the Texans things like "Caldwell's a guard" "They like Caldwell at guard" and so on. Does that mean in reference to the 2009 season or as a football player. I asked Eric Winston via twitter specifically what it was about Caldwell that made him a guard. I asked him to specify if it was mental or physical and he responded that his body made him more of a guard.

But with all the uncertainty with Pitts and Briesel's injuries/contract and Caldwell's uncertainty as a young supposed two position player and the strange reports from McClain about the Texans "loving Studdard". It's a real mystery as to who will be playing where next year. Exciting to think the team got better no matter what though!

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Wade Smith just signed a $12 million contract and we drafted Caldwell in the 3rd round last year... I'm not sure why you guys think Myers is going to start at center without stiff competition?

D-ReK
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
For what it's worth:

Smith, who started nine games last season and 16 in his two seasons with the Chiefs, visited Buffalo and Arizona before choosing the Texans. He'll compete for a starting job at center and guard.

"We think he has a legitimate chance to start inside," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We didn't guarantee him anything about a starting job, but if he plays well enough to be one of our three-best interior linemen, then he'll start."
LINK (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6907083.html)

So two important things here -- Kubiak realizes that all three of our interior OL positions could stand to be upgraded, including replacing Myers at center, and this signing does not necessarily preclude the Texans from bring back Pitts next year. Good stuff.

wagonhed
03-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm happy about this! Mostly because I love Olinemen.

I watched the video, he looks good. I'm not a very good judge, though. He looks like a quick and smart runblocker rather than a bulldozer type. I guess that's what we need for our scheme, though.

I'm happy to have him on the team.

gary
03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Now for an RB to go along with him.

Carr Bombed
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Now for an RB to go along with him.

C.J. Spiller hopefully...

gary
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
C.J. Spiller hopefully...That is my pipe dream for now.

Texan4Ever
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe Wade Smith well take over at center, I dunno, but what is for sure is that there may be changes coming considering that Owner McNair said he wants to see imporvement in the offensive line, especially in the interior.

I say let Caldwell go to center and try Smith out at guard and get a bigger guard from the draft like Petrus or Asamoh to play the RG position.

IBleedTexans
03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
That is my pipe dream for now.

Who's that in your avatar Gary

gary
03-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Who's that in your avatar GaryI know it is hard to see but its Elin telling Tiger he is an effing *****. Get it? Ha.

TheRealJoker
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Watching that Charles highlight video made me excited about the possibility of drafting a CJ type back like Spiller or Best with Smith pulling from RG throwing key blocks as they take it to the house...

76Texan
03-12-2010, 02:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1886781&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/1252

BigBull17
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Watching that Charles highlight video made me excited about the possibility of drafting a CJ type back like Spiller or Best with Smith pulling from RG throwing key blocks as they take it to the house...

What sucks is I really wanted Jamal the year he was taken. I just knew he would be there when we picked in the 3rd. Nabbed right infront of us

badboy
03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I know it is hard to see but its Elin telling Tiger he is an effing *****. Get it? Ha.She is asking Tiger, "If I put a wedge up your ---, would that count as a hole in one?"

badboy
03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Wade Smith just signed a $12 million contract and we drafted Caldwell in the 3rd round last year... I'm not sure why you guys think Myers is going to start at center without stiff competition?Because Caldwell has yet to offer any competition at center and coach thinks he is a guard. My understanding is Wade Smith is more of a OG than Center. Like it or not, Kubiac will not replace Myers unless he has a player that can handle the play calling. I am having that problem with Gary's view of Studdard.

dalemurphy
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Because Caldwell has yet to offer any competition at center and coach thinks he is a guard. My understanding is Wade Smith is more of a OG than Center. Like it or not, Kubiac will not replace Myers unless he has a player that can handle the play calling. I am having that problem with Gary's view of Studdard.

I think perceptions like those you list are largely a result of the poor media coverage the team gets. Unfortunately, 80% of the team's coverage comes from John McClain. Furthermore, McClain isn't very bright, isn't very well connected to inside sources of this team, and is quite lazy. So, he often leads us down the wrong path. I believe this to be the case here.

I spend more time than I probably should watching and listenning to all of Kubes' press conferences and would disagree with a number of things we've heard from McClain:

1. Caldwell was a guard last year and Kubiak did express that he wanted him to stay at guard last season. However, I don't think he was referencing an indefinite move to guard. I think they wanted to settle him at guard and not have him worry about things like line calls in his rookie campaign. Also, don't forget that he started for 3 full seasons at center in Alabama. So, center is his natural position. Furthermore, there has been a change at OC and also with the removal of Alex Gibbs... so, a different group of coaches will be assessing the line and Caldwell.

2. I think the trumpeting of Studdard has been way misunderstood by McClain. Certainly Kubiak has praised Studdard. However, he's said things like "he's becoming a pro", "he's working hard", etc... When Kubiak has been really impressed with a player, he will praise their on field performance. He has not done much of that with Studdard. I think he appreciates Studdard's mindset and attitude and also his value as a 6th rounder. The last thing I heard from Kubiak about the interior oline was him lamenting the loss of Chester Pitts and explaining how much they missed Pitts' ability to stand up to the size and power of some of the bigger/stronger DTs in the league. McNair takes the praise of Studdard as an endorsement of him as a starter. I don't think he's right. I doubt, seriously, that Kubiak has ever said publicly or privately that Studdard is or will be an above average starting guard.

3. Kubiak doesn't call out players for not being talented enough. So, guys like Myers and Studdard aren't going to be criticized from him. They simply are limited athletes. Kubiak knows that. But, the closest thing to an acknowledgement of that fact you will hear from him is a general comment about the OL or interior OL. He has stressed that the interior Oline will be addressed and upgraded this offseason. The odds are good that he is referencing Studdard and Myers since they did make up 2/3 of that interior oline last year.

4. Remember that Kubiak tends to be harsher and more critical towards younger players like Caldwell. He wants those young players to really focus on their focus and work ethic and tends to prod them publicly. I doubt seriously that he was disappointed with Caldwell. He was simply pressing him to improve because he's young and has a good deal of talent.

5. Kubiak also made statements about Eric Winston in his rookie year about seeing him as a guard. Then, the RT was injured and they gave Winston a shot there. Now, Winston is firmly intrenched at tackle and won't be moving. So, the fact that he mentioned Caldwell as a guard in his rookie season hardly means that Kubiak will stubbornly keep him there.

My guess is that Caldwell and Smith will have every opportunity to win the Center job. That being said, I think Kubiak will look at the interior line as a group. He will start the best 3 combination. For instance, Myers is more likely to keep his job if Pitts and Caldwell (who are bigger and stronger) are flanking him on both sides. If Wade Smith struggles at center but looks great as a guard, then I think Caldwell gets a real good look at center. Because Smith is highly athletic but is also on the small side, they would prefer to have a stronger/bigger center next to him.

Anyway, I think it will be an open comptetion and I wouldn't worry much about McClain's lazy theories.

badboy
03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I think perceptions like those you list are largely a result of the poor media coverage the team gets. Unfortunately, 80% of the team's coverage comes from John McClain. Furthermore, McClain isn't very bright, isn't very well connected to inside sources of this team, and is quite lazy. So, he often leads us down the wrong path. I believe this to be the case here.

I spend more time than I probably should watching and listenning to all of Kubes' press conferences and would disagree with a number of things we've heard from McClain:

1. Caldwell was a guard last year and Kubiak did express that he wanted him to stay at guard last season. However, I don't think he was referencing an indefinite move to guard. I think they wanted to settle him at guard and not have him worry about things like line calls in his rookie campaign. Also, don't forget that he started for 3 full seasons at center in Alabama. So, center is his natural position. Furthermore, there has been a change at OC and also with the removal of Alex Gibbs... so, a different group of coaches will be assessing the line and Caldwell.

2. I think the trumpeting of Studdard has been way misunderstood by McClain. Certainly Kubiak has praised Studdard. However, he's said things like "he's becoming a pro", "he's working hard", etc... When Kubiak has been really impressed with a player, he will praise their on field performance. He has not done much of that with Studdard. I think he appreciates Studdard's mindset and attitude and also his value as a 6th rounder. The last thing I heard from Kubiak about the interior oline was him lamenting the loss of Chester Pitts and explaining how much they missed Pitts' ability to stand up to the size and power of some of the bigger/stronger DTs in the league. McNair takes the praise of Studdard as an endorsement of him as a starter. I don't think he's right. I doubt, seriously, that Kubiak has ever said publicly or privately that Studdard is or will be an above average starting guard.

3. Kubiak doesn't call out players for not being talented enough. So, guys like Myers and Studdard aren't going to be criticized from him. They simply are limited athletes. Kubiak knows that. But, the closest thing to an acknowledgement of that fact you will hear from him is a general comment about the OL or interior OL. He has stressed that the interior Oline will be addressed and upgraded this offseason. The odds are good that he is referencing Studdard and Myers since they did make up 2/3 of that interior oline last year.

4. Remember that Kubiak tends to be harsher and more critical towards younger players like Caldwell. He wants those young players to really focus on their focus and work ethic and tends to prod them publicly. I doubt seriously that he was disappointed with Caldwell. He was simply pressing him to improve because he's young and has a good deal of talent.

5. Kubiak also made statements about Eric Winston in his rookie year about seeing him as a guard. Then, the RT was injured and they gave Winston a shot there. Now, Winston is firmly intrenched at tackle and won't be moving. So, the fact that he mentioned Caldwell as a guard in his rookie season hardly means that Kubiak will stubbornly keep him there.

My guess is that Caldwell and Smith will have every opportunity to win the Center job. That being said, I think Kubiak will look at the interior line as a group. He will start the best 3 combination. For instance, Myers is more likely to keep his job if Pitts and Caldwell (who are bigger and stronger) are flanking him on both sides. If Wade Smith struggles at center but looks great as a guard, then I think Caldwell gets a real good look at center. Because Smith is highly athletic but is also on the small side, they would prefer to have a stronger/bigger center next to him.

Anyway, I think it will be an open comptetion and I wouldn't worry much about McClain's lazy theories.I do not disagree with any of your comments; however, Myers struggled mightily last season and Caldwell with three years of center did not get a breath at that position which surprised many fans on this board during the season. Caldwell did not beat out Briesel nor Chris White. He may have lost his opprtunity with the signing of Wade Smith. Antoine needs to bring it this training camp.

Ole Miss Texan
03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I do not disagree with any of your comments; however, Myers struggled mightily last season and Caldwell with three years of center did not get a breath at that position which surprised many fans on this board during the season. Caldwell did not beat out Briesel nor Chris White. He may have lost his opprtunity with the signing of Wade Smith. Antoine needs to bring it this training camp.
The Center position, to me, seems so different than the other line positions. I could see how it takes longer to develop into a starter than at G or T. The center is typically responsible for all the line calls plus they have to work well with the QB. They're the only player on the team that touches the ball every single snap. C/QB have to be in sync.

Kubiak has mentioned Caldwell at Guard a lot. As mentioned earlier, its not clear if he means long term or just last season. I'd be pretty hesitant, in general, to put a Rookie Center in as the starter. I see Caldwell as a guy that might develop into that position and in that sense I can see Myers continuing to start next season. I wouldn't totally be against that if we've got some beef on either side of him.

Not sure how long it typically takes a Center to get their first start, anybody know? Give Caldwell another year of playing in the NFL, learning our team's system (every team has their own variation), learning the calls, his fellow linemen and QB... and I bet he makes the transition easier. Learning on the fly is pretty dangerous in my opinion.

Kubiak seems to be a guy to ease players into their respective roles instead of throwing them into the fire. Just my 2 cents!

beerlover
03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Kubiak starts players based off practice sessions while putting game plan in place. sometimes its all about match-ups other times its all about having your best packages together. It's been stated Studdard will be the starter, based off performance & reps received last season. The reality is everything is predicated off injuys so by bringing Wade into the mix the Texans starting quality depth just improved as he can float & fill all three interior positions as needed.

just wanted to add something I overheard on 610 that John McClain said in reference to aquisition of Wade Smith & that was new OC Rick Dennison was driving force behind his signing. I found this very usefull, then he went on to say that he had tried to aquire Wade two years ago unsuccessfully. I'm really interested in the addition of both player & coach.

El Tejano
03-13-2010, 08:43 PM
No article that has this guys response to joining our team?

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

The official site has not even acknowledged the signing yet and well the chron is the chron.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2010, 09:50 PM

From USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/notes.htm):

—New Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison was Denver's offensive line coach three years ago when Wade Smith was unrestricted. The Broncos tried to sign him, but Smith signed with Kansas City, where Dennison watched him closely the last two years.

"We feel really good about getting him," coach Gary Kubiak said. "Rick had a relationship with him when they were after him a couple of years ago. Rick liked him then, too."

Secondary coach David Gibbs was on Kansas City's staff in 2008 when Smith played for the Chiefs. New strength and conditioning coach Cedric Smith worked with Wade Smith at Kansas City the last two years.

"They spoke very highly of him," Kubiak said. "What this does is it gives us great versatility up front because he can play guard or center. He might even be able to play tackle, but that's not what we think his strength is."

Also this "info"

MEDICAL WATCH: OLB Brian Cushing had to miss the Pro Bowl because of multiple injuries, including a troublesome knee. He went to Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion. He's trying rest and rehabilitation. If that doesn't work, he'll undergo arthroscopic surgery at some point. C Chris Myers underwent shoulder surgery. RB Steve Slaton had surgery on his spine. Recovery is four to six months. He's supposed to be ready in training camp. G Chester Pitts, who missed the season because of a knee injury, underwent arthroscopic surgery as a follow-up. He's expected to be 100 percent by training camp. TE Owen Daniels underwent knee surgery midway through the season. He's supposed to be 100 percent by training camp. RG Mike Brisiel (broken foot) should be 100 percent at some point during camp. TE Joel Dreessen (shoulder) is recovering from surgery and should be ready for preseason. TE Anthony Hill (knee) had ACL surgery and probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

BTW, the whole article is worth reading.

gary
03-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Chester is an FA I wonder why his name is in the story.

The Pencil Neck
03-14-2010, 12:07 AM
TE Anthony Hill (knee) had ACL surgery and probably won't be ready for the start of the season.

I had no idea his injury was that severe.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Article says we signed John David Booty? Really? How is it that we don't know about a FA acquistion like that considering how sloooooowwwwww moving our FA process has been going.

Camp fodder I guess...

Grams
03-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Article says we signed John David Booty? Really? How is it that we don't know about a FA acquistion like that considering how sloooooowwwwww moving our FA process has been going.

Camp fodder I guess...

Was he on the practice squad last year?

Lucky
03-14-2010, 07:13 AM

Camp fodder I guess...
Booty was a street free agent signed last January. Which lead to a series of booty jokes. None very good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Booty was as good, or better than, Orlovsky. Not that he'd get the job ahead of Orlovsky. I don't think Smithiak would admit to that mistake.

Lucky
03-14-2010, 07:24 AM
From USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/notes.htm):

BTW, the whole article is worth reading.
That was a good stuff. I wonder who penned it? They should write for The Chronic.

bckey
03-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Great article. Like Lucky I'm wondering who wrote it. It was really nice to read something about the Texans that was well researched and well written. A rarity indeed. Great find Cloak. Thanks.

El Tejano
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Based on that article, and us seeing how when a new staff comes in and how they like to go with their guys vs. the previous guy, does anyone see this dude Wade Smith as an eventual starter. Dennison has wanted this dude on his squad for some time and now he's got him, Myers is pretty soft, and our two guards are coming off injuries.

I didn't know Anthony Hill's injury was an ACL. With that in mind, does TE become a position of need in the draft. I mean, the one TE we have not coming off injury is James Casey.

Lucky
03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Dennison has wanted this dude on his squad for some time and now he's got him, Myers is pretty soft, and our two guards are coming off injuries.
Dennison was with the Broncos when Myers was dealt to the Texans. So, he may have felt Myers was expendable then. I don't think Myers has done anything since then that would change Dennison's view.

I didn't know Anthony Hill's injury was an ACL. With that in mind, does TE become a position of need in the draft. I mean, the one TE we have not coming off injury is James Casey.
The Texans have spent enough draft picks on TEs. They need to find a vet TE and be done with it. How difficult is it to find a backup blocking TE, anyway?

TheRealJoker
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Hill most likely starts the season on PUP. I highly doubt the Texans draft a TE this year. They've still got OD, Dreesen, and Casey. Hill didn't get much playing time even after OD got injured so I doubt the front office will act with a sense of urgency towards the position in the draft.

I could see them bringing a UDFA/vet into camp to ease OD back in and give Dreesen a rest. Maybe if one of them wows the staff, they'll put Hill on IR and activate the UDFA/vet.

The torn ACL came at a terrible time for Hill. He was having a hard time getting on the field last year and now he's not expected to be back to 100% until after the season starts. He needed a good offseason to prove to the coaching staff he can be depended on in the base offense.

RagingBull
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Hill = Offensive version of Antwan Molden

ChampionTexan
03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Hill most likely starts the season on PUP. I highly doubt the Texans draft a TE this year. They've still got OD, Dreesen, and Casey.

I agree that Hill may be on PUP to start next season, but with O.D. coming back from an ACL, and Dreessen having shoulder surgery after the season, I really would be surprised if they don't take one somewhere in this draft.

I know (or at least I hope) they think highly of Casey, but with him being the only TE not coming of a big-time injury, I think they may well address it through Free Agency (vet, but very low profile) in addition to a draft pick.

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I doubt seriously that they go after another TE in the draft. The may even try finding an F-back or H-back hybrid type

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I had no idea his injury was that severe.

The problem is not only that it was an ACL tear, but that he had an ACL tear that also was operated on in his junior year of college...............on the SAME KNEE.

NitroGSXR
03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
The problem is not only that it was an ACL tear, but that he had an ACL tear that also was operated on in his junior year of college...............on the SAME KNEE.

Why is that a problem specifically? The fact that he had surgery twice? Could your concern be that he's injury prone or you believe he will not be back at full football strength as a result?

dalemurphy
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Why is that a problem specifically? The fact that he had surgery twice? Could your concern be that he's injury prone or you believe he will not be back at full football strength as a result?

I'm not a doctor like CND but I have had 6 surgeries on two knees. My concern would be that repeated trauma to the same area of the knee could cause or indicate chronic problems like significant loss of cartilidge.

edo783
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM

I think CND is indicating that a knee that is once repaired is weaker than the original. The same surgery done again, makes it even weaker than the first surgery did. Probably indicates a fair amount of the surrounding areas also being weakened.

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:23 PM

I don't know Smith from Adam... but this is what I think our OL needs.

Caldwell is our new Center, Briesel is our RG.. We need a LG.....

Close the book.

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I like the signing, too. Sexy doesn't win championships. Large, sweaty men in the trenches do.

Suite me up baby, & tell me where I can pick up my check...

CHAMpionSHIP!!!

D-Frank
03-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Close the book.

from the few highlights ive seen, he is very physical and a damb good chop blocker. he was a big reason why jamal charles was able to run for over 200 yds against denver

awtysst
03-14-2010, 10:01 PM
from the few highlights ive seen, he is very physical and a damb good chop blocker. he was a big reason why jamal charles was able to run for over 200 yds against denver

:worm:Shh. We do not use "chop blocks" as those are very illegal. We use "cut blocks":spy:

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 10:21 PM

I do agree that continuity- especially at the Center position- would be a good thing going into next season.

But I think Caldwell is too good to waste at the Guard position.

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm not a doctor like CND but I have had 6 surgeries on two knees. My concern would be that repeated trauma to the same area of the knee could cause or indicate chronic problems like significant loss of cartilidge.

I think CND is indicating that a knee that is once repaired is weaker than the original. The same surgery done again, makes it even weaker than the first surgery did. Probably indicates a fair amount of the surrounding areas also being weakened.

When specifically referring to a severe ACL tear which requires open repair, there is usually ("collateral damage") other associated ligamentous structural and cartilaginous damage. Twice sustained and repaired will usually leave additional chronic changes (less cartilaginous surface, osteoarthritis, stretched complimentary ligaments) and overall lesser joint stability which in a tall heavy football player leaves this very stressed important joint susceptible to further injury.......despite satisfactory anatomic "repair."

HOU-TEX
03-15-2010, 09:03 AM
When specifically referring to a severe ACL tear which requires open repair, there is usually ("collateral damage") other associated ligamentous structural and cartilaginous damage. Twice sustained and repaired will usually leave additional chronic changes (less cartilaginous surface, osteoarthritis, stretched complimentary ligaments) and overall lesser joint stability which in a tall heavy football player leaves this very stressed important joint susceptible to further injury.......despite satisfactory anatomic "repair."

I was always under the impression that the replacement ligaments they use for ACL repairs are actually stronger than the original. Am I off-base there? I understand the cartilage and other components of the joint could also sustain a little trauma which possibly weakens the joint. I reckon it primarily depends on the severity of the individual injury.

badboy
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Close the book.Enlighten me as to what evidence you are using to say Caldwell will be the starting center.

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I was always under the impression that the replacement ligaments they use for ACL repairs are actually stronger than the original. Am I off-base there? I understand the cartilage and other components of the joint could also sustain a little trauma which possibly weakens the joint. I reckon it primarily depends on the severity of the individual injury.

Indeed, the severity of the injuries are a factor. However, "stronger than original" is somewhat used as a play on words. Stronger than when you were a teenager?...or stronger than a weakened joint, previously stretched or partially torn ACL? Although ACL reconstruction has come a long way, there is almost a 10% failure/complication rate for "normal" activity with an initial ACL repair. Moreso for return to sports, moreso for return to football, and moreso to the "same level of performance." Repeat ACL tear and repair has a greater rate of failure to return at each level. This would be expected in that commonly other structures are involved with ACL trauma.
There has been a study reported that shows that if medial meniscus tears (which are commonly found with ACL tears) are repaired at the same time as the ACL (commonly performed), the rate of meniscus repair failure was more than 5 times that of repairs done in 2 stages. Many factors come into play as repeat ACL reconstruction becomes more complicated and more complication ladened. When Kubiak made his orginal statement about Hill's injury/surgery, "he will have a tough road ahead of him," he had a very realistic and inciteful picture concerning the situation.

phantom17
03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
Hill = Offensive version of Antwan Molden

Sad but true!

CloakNNNdagger
03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Texans Gave Wade Smith More Money Than Chiefs Gave Ryan Lilja (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/3/17/1377514/texans-gave-wade-smith-more-money)

Chief's fans comments following this short blurb put forth their takes of the value of the 2.

beerlover
03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Texans Gave Wade Smith More Money Than Chiefs Gave Ryan Lilja (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/3/17/1377514/texans-gave-wade-smith-more-money)

Chief's fans comments following this short blurb put forth their takes of the value of the 2.

Chiefs are on the verge of playoffs, so they are selling, based on Scott Pioli track record in NE as the reason why players are choosing to play in KC for less money. give me a break, the market is soft & the better teams are being extra careful, so the scrapes (little harsh) more desperate teams are willing to spend :tiphat:

Texans_Chick
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Close the book.

FWIW, I've heard through people in the Texans organization that they see Caldwell as best suited for Guard.

Wade Smith was on Sirius NFL Radio today. When they asked what position he would play, he said the Texans saw him in the interior. (which is pretty much what Kubiak said)

He talked about how when he was first drafted by Miami, he was originally considered as a left tackle. (He was a converted TE in college). Then Oline coach Hudson Houck was hired by Miami and believed that Smith would make a premiere center in the league.

From the interview, it sounded like he was moved around a lot because of various coaching changes.

Kubiak likes competition at positions of weakness, and will keep throwing bodies at a position until it becomes a strength. I'm guessing this is what this move is.

76Texan
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Wade Smith was awful at C in a game against the Chargers in which he started at LT (and was equally bad).

Granted, it was only the Chiefs' 6th game of the season, Smith's 2nd start (at LT) and first start at C.

He was pushed around at least 5 times by the DTs (including TJ) and allowed a sack each (at LT and C) when he was late to (or failed to) acknowledge the blitz.

If you're looking for a guy who is strong at the POA, might want to start looking elsewhere (but I don't see a good one in this draft.)

76Texan
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Wade Smith was awful at C in a game against the Chargers in which he started at LT (and was equally bad).

Granted, it was only the Chiefs' 6th game of the season, Smith's 2nd start (at LT) and first start at C.

He was pushed around at least 5 times by the DTs (including TJ) and allowed a sack each (at LT and C) when he was late to (or failed to) acknowledge the blitz.

If you're looking for a guy who is strong at the POA, might want to start looking elsewhere (but I don't see a good one in this draft.)
I mean, his first game at Center this year for the Chiefs.

beerlover
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Cheifs had no running game beginning of season either, kinda like the Texans, hence also pushed around. Dennsion wants to run a pure zbs as does Kubiak & what you need are athltetic, quick, take the lower body from under defenders base, thereby creating seam for an explosive one-cut back. In theory it sounds great but to work the offensive line has to play together (something KC did not do) like Texans did a year ago before all the injurys which explains more than anything his aquistion is the first place. I think now the Texans are really looking hard @ this years RB draft class.

badboy
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Cheifs had no running game beginning of season either, kinda like the Texans, hence also pushed around. Dennsion wants to run a pure zbs as does Kubiak & what you need are athltetic, quick, take the lower body from under defenders base, thereby creating seam for an explosive one-cut back. In theory it sounds great but to work the offensive line has to play together (something KC did not do) like Texans did a year ago before all the injurys which explains more than anything his aquistion is the first place. I think now the Texans are really looking hard @ this years RB draft class.Agreed. IMO, Myers will start at center, Caldwell maybe at RG and the new guy at LG if Kubiac will allow him to beat out the Studd.

IDEXAN
03-23-2010, 07:52 AM
FWIW, I've heard through people in the Texans organization that they see Caldwell as best suited for Guard.

Wade Smith was on Sirius NFL Radio today. When they asked what position he would play, he said the Texans saw him in the interior. (which is pretty much what Kubiak said)

He talked about how when he was first drafted by Miami, he was originally considered as a left tackle. (He was a converted TE in college). Then Oline coach Hudson Houck was hired by Miami and believed that Smith would make a premiere center in the league.

From the interview, it sounded like he was moved around a lot because of various coaching changes.

Kubiak likes competition at positions of weakness, and will keep throwing bodies at a position until it becomes a strength. I'm guessing this is what this move is.
So Smith is origionally one of those TE guys converted to the OLine - sounds like a familiar history for the types who excel as Olineman in the ZB schemes. But with the kind of money he's being paid I just don't see this guy
on the bench. I'm thinking Studdard is out and Smith with his athleticism is a natural fit at LG and Callwell is starting at RG while Myers remains at center, atleast for 2010.