PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson says Brown fans dont deserve a winner

Blake
03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said in the e-mail Tuesday. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured.
"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Blake
03-10-2010, 09:30 AM
On Tuesday, the Browns released Anderson, a former Pro Bowl quarterback, after five years in Cleveland, as the team decided to cast its lot with Brady Quinn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10466) and avoid paying Anderson a $2 million roster bonus and a $7.45 million salary in 2010.

JWarren14
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Some fanbases are just wired that way, and it probably isn't fun for the players. I think I was reading somewhere that Philly fans cheered when M Irving lay on the turf motionless for a few minutes, turned a lot of people off including some of their own fans.

There are times to cheer, but you never cheer when a player is injured IMO.

El Tejano
03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Okay. Now, I've talked about the possibility of getting Delhomme as a back up quarterback and how I'm not settled with Orlovsky as a backup. I'm an old Oiler fan and anyone who hates the Browns is okay with me. I say sign this dude up quickly. I know, I know he just got released and we are talking about signing every guy that got released yada yada yada.

Dude has some skills and I don't think we are set at backup QB.

Esoom
03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I really wish Josh Cribbs had been able to get out of there. I hope he doesn't turn out like Steven Jackson. A waste of great talent on a perennially bad team.

Hardcore Texan
03-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Some fanbases are just wired that way, and it probably isn't fun for the players. I think I was reading somewhere that Philly fans cheered when M Irving lay on the turf motionless for a few minutes, turned a lot of people off including some of their own fans.

There are times to cheer, but you never cheer when a player is injured IMO.

This. It's just low down, dirty, d-bag behavior to cheer when someone's injured.

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Okay. Now, I've talked about the possibility of getting Delhomme as a back up quarterback and how I'm not settled with Orlovsky as a backup. I'm an old Oiler fan and anyone who hates the Browns is okay with me. I say sign this dude up quickly. I know, I know he just got released and we are talking about signing every guy that got released yada yada yada.

Yeah, I think Clevland has been an offensive hole. He is better than he showed the last few years.

ChampionTexan
03-10-2010, 10:47 AM

Matt Schaub started 16 games last year. Kubiak and Co. has had a year to work their magic with Orlovsky, and will have another full training camp to continue to do so. Sexy Rexy is no longer under contract, and will likely sign with another NFL team. He was receiving the veteran minimum during his one year with the Texans.

While the Texans will have at least one more QB in camp, and maybe two, I believe it's up in the air as to whether they'll keep 2 or 3 QB's on next years 53 man roster, and it's incredibly likely that if they keep 3, the 3rd guy will be for the minimum salary. I think they bring in a schlub as a camp arm, give Orlovsky every chance to nail down the back up job, and in the somewhat unlikely event he doesn't meet their fairly low expectations, hope the sclub bails them out, or find another guy they think will.

Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it's not, but I don't think either Del Homme, or Anderson fits in that scenario.

texdawg
03-10-2010, 01:18 PM
No fans should cheer an injury to any player. Although some percentage of the fans were cheering that he got injured, the vast majority of fans knew Brady Quinn was finally going to get to play and were cheering for him.

Anderson has NO touch on the ball, can not recognize a defense, can not make adjustments, and absolutely can not handle pressure.

I wanted him gone after the year he made the pro-bowl. Should have been tendered and traded while he had some value.

I'm sure he'll get picked up by somebody. Hopefully not the Texans.

bah007
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

I think he is going to go somewhere where he can at least compete for a starting job. He won't have that chance here.

GP
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I have a different take on this.

1. I agree that it's entirely possible that Browns fans are classless. It's a blue-collar town. It's essentially Raiders fans in rubber dogface masks.

2. Derek Anderson is stoopid for announcing his feelings and the depth of his bitterness.

Remember in The Godfather when The Turk met with Don Corleone, and the rest of the Corleone "family" and The Turk wanted Don Vito to put up some investment money to help The Turk bring in drugs and sell them on the streets?

Don Vito had decided that he was saying "Thanks, but NO thanks," and Sonny is wired so hot that he opens his mouth and shows that he [Sonny] might like the idea and is trying to persuade his dad.

When The Turk leaves, it's just Marlon Brando and James Caan in the room. And then Don Vito smacks Sonny and says "Never let someone else outside the family know what you're thinkin'..."

Derek did two things to himself, IMO, by opening his yapper:

1. If he lands a gig, and jumps into the game at some point, he's going to be mocked by the fans sitting near the bench and tunnel. He's shown a weakness for letting fans get under his skin. Bad mistake.

2. He's shown coaches and owners and GM's of other teams that he lets stuff like that get to him. Essentially, he's just shown that he can't deal with the possibility of being harassed if he screws up. Ask Vince Young how THAT is working out for his future prospects in the league.

I dunno, as bad as it is that he's right....he probably now realizes that he put a huge spotlight on himself by sharing his feelings on the matter.

Txn_in_Oki
03-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Derek did two things to himself, IMO, by opening his yapper:

1. If he lands a gig, and jumps into the game at some point, he's going to be mocked by the fans sitting near the bench and tunnel. He's shown a weakness for letting fans get under his skin. Bad mistake.

2. He's shown coaches and owners and GM's of other teams that he lets stuff like that get to him. Essentially, he's just shown that he can't deal with the possibility of being harassed if he screws up. Ask Vince Young how THAT is working out for his future prospects in the league.

I dunno, as bad as it is that he's right....he probably now realizes that he put a huge spotlight on himself by sharing his feelings on the matter.

Is he weak for saying the fans of Cleveland are a pack of d-bags? I think his weakness is that he took it back. I have no problems with fans booing if you are stinking up the joint but fans like those in Cleveland and Philly have shown many, MANY times how classless they can be. They cheer when their players get injured but get all butt hurt when a player says they suck.

If I was McNabb I would have bailed on Philly a long time ago and done everything I could to get on a division rival, but that's just how I'm wired. You treat me like crap I'm going to come at you again and again to rub your nose in it. Especially if I've done everything I can to do well by you and treat you with respect.

gwallaia
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Its just like Bud Adams not deserving a winner.

GP
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
All this talk of "deserving" is hogwash.

Nobody deserves anything. You either get it or you don't, and there are always many reasons as to why a person gets what he wants or doesn't. If the Titans had beaten the Rams and won the Super Bowl, no matter what we think about it...they won the Super Bowl. Big deal. That doesn't have any impact on the reality of the situation. It happened. Deal.

So for Derek to vocalize that the Browns fans don't deserve a winner is painting the whole fanbase with a broad paintbrush that might not apply to ALL Browns fans.

Can Derek Anderson control the fans, and have them NOT boo? No. This is the talk of someone who doesn't like the fact that he can't control things. So he says things about the Browns fans so he can get sympathy from OTHER fans.

Look, he might be the greatest guy in the world. He might even become an OK guy for some other team now that he's out of that wasteland. But all I know is that I'm curious as to how he handles game pressure, if I'm a GM looking at him right now, when he cries about being boo'd. And then says that the fans don't deserve a winner.

I'm just sayin'.....

GP
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
In this day and age, NFL teams are scrutinizing EVERYTHING.

They analyze stuff like this. And if a guy is an on-the-bubble prospect for them, they might just look the other way instead of taking the risk that they acquire a guy who is fragile in the area of emtions and/or performance-under-pressure area.

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM
This. It's just low down, dirty, d-bag behavior to cheer when someone's injured.

On that day when Peyton Manning breaks his leg or shatters his throwing arm, I'm prepared to stifle any signs of enthusiasm!

Txn_in_Oki
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM
On that day when Peyton Manning breaks his leg or shatters his throwing arm, I'm prepared to stifle any signs of enthusiasm!

It's okay to cheer injuries on the other team, just not your own.

That would be classless.

NitroGSXR
03-12-2010, 01:05 AM
It's okay to cheer injuries on the other team, just not your own.

That would be classless.

I didn't want Chris Brown to get up after that halfback pass...

:fans:

Derek Anderson = Sage Rosenfels. I'd be ok with it if we brought him in.

barrett
03-12-2010, 04:35 AM
I think he's horribly inaccurate. I have more faith in the talent evaluation of the Texans staff. Orlovsky was inconsistent but it was clear to me that he showed that he posesses the skills neccisarry. With proper coaching and diligent work on his part I expect him to develope into a very good QB.