PDA

View Full Version : Chester Pitts on Sirius NFL

michaelm
03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Chester coming up on Sirius NFL Radio in the next 30-40 minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankee_In_TX
03-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Deja Vu'?

gary
03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
What did he say?

Texan_Bill
03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
What did he say?

:cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

m5kwatts
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Didn't hear the interview but judging by his twitter feed recently, he REALLY wants to return and doesn't wanna be anywhere else. He's almost lobbying the front office to give him a call, its tough to read cause I'm not so sure the FO feels the same way. I do, I like him at LG more than Studdard, hurt or rehabbed or whatever condition he'll be in.

gary
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
He might have to settle for a money loss coming off an injury.

barrett
03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty confident that's their play. Let him shop, if nobody bites then he's got little to no leverage in a negotiations. I'm sure they'd welcome him back for pennies on the dollar. But I don't see them pursuing him until they are certain they aren't going to have to negotiate. If it happens it'll be on their terms.

For the record I'd love to have him back as veteran depth or starter but I am pulling for drafting a C/G higher than lower and letting it work itself out. If that means Pitts comes back and his knee is better and he starts in front of a young G/C for a year or two I'm happy.

There are things about Studdard's game that are exciting but I just don't how they can be "loving him at RG" as McCain puts it.

D. Brown/ Butler
Pitts/rookie G-C/Studdard
Meyers/Caldwell/rookie G-C
Caldwell/Briesel
Winston/Butler

at the start of camp sounds lovely to me. I don't care who's first on the depth chart at those interior positions either.

m5kwatts
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty confident that's their play. Let him shop, if nobody bites then he's got little to no leverage in a negotiations. I'm sure they'd welcome him back for pennies on the dollar. But I don't see them pursuing him until they are certain they aren't going to have to negotiate. If it happens it'll be on their terms.

For the record I'd love to have him back as veteran depth or starter but I am pulling for drafting a C/G higher than lower and letting it work itself out. If that means Pitts comes back and his knee is better and he starts in front of a young G/C for a year or two I'm happy.

There are things about Studdard's game that are exciting but I just don't how they can be "loving him at RG" as McCain puts it.

D. Brown/ Butler
Caldwell/Briesel
Winston/Butler

at the start of camp sounds lovely to me. I don't care who's first on the depth chart at those interior positions either.

I like the cut of your jib. Although Kubiak seems to be a lot more enamored with Studdard than the rest of us... If you asked him he'd probably say Studdards the #1 LG on the depth chart right now.

infantrycak
03-10-2010, 10:07 AM

I like the cut of your jib. Although Kubiak seems to be a lot more enamored with Studdard than the rest of us... If you asked him he'd probably say Studdards the #1 LG on the depth chart right now.

Studdard is #1 LG on the depth chart right now because Pitts isn't on the roster. Something else to remember here. Pitts has not medically passed yet and won't for 1-2 more months. Occasionally you will see teams sign their own injured vets before passing medical but it's rare for another team to take such a player on. Pitts may very well dangle in the market until that time.

barrett
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
That's what I expect to happen. He wants a 1 year deal so he can "prove he can stay healthy" so he can re-test the market next offseason (when there won't be any football :(). I think it would be a great deal for the Texans to keep him on for a year and draft a LG/C somewhere that is not a project. (Pouncey)

I don't know how enamored Kubiak is with Studdard. He's had mixed comments about him. I have seen what he sees in him that he likes and he does possess some intangibles but I just think his lack of athleticism is a huge knock against his ability to be a good LG.

I don't put too much stock into McCain saying "so and so is the starter.

Big Lou
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
The "Kubiak loves Studdard" talk could just be a smoke screen in order to sign Pitts for less money. If Pitts feels like he is the better OG then he may feel he has some leverage over the FO.

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM

D. Brown/ Butler
Caldwell/Briesel
Winston/Butler

J/C......How would depth chart look with the signing of Wade Smith?

TheRealJoker
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I hope if nobody signs Pitts this offseason we give him a chance to reclaim his job in training camp. We wouldn't have to overpay for him by then and it would be nice to give a true iron man like Pitts the opportunity to take back his spot he's held down for so long.

painekiller
03-11-2010, 01:01 AM

Bye Bye White.

IMO Smith is a depth on a good team, not a starter. So we just over paid a back up.

He was a back up when he was a Jets after having started for the Dolphins, that concerns me.

I hope they don't sit on this guy as the only OL move before the draft. And if they do not draft an OL guy in the top 2 rounds, then this guy is playing over the current mess at OG.

ChampionTexan
03-11-2010, 01:31 AM
ESPN Radio is running an interview with Chester Pitts right now. Said he's talked to Detroit, Cincinnati, Denver, Miami and one other team (didn't catch the 5th one). Said he's still talking to the Texans, and Houston is still where he wants to be.

D-ReK
03-11-2010, 06:20 AM
I guess I'm the only person that saw this (http://www.khou.com/sports/football/Longtime-Texan-Chester-Pitts-wants-to-come-back-in-2010-87266407.html) on channel 11 the other night (video interview with Pitts in link).

A couple excerpts from the interview are that he's doing everything in his power to remain here and:
"You could set up a deal where you play for this, if you do this, kind of like an incentive based type deal," says Pitts. "I think they’re working on things so where on my end, I get compensated and on their end, they have the protection they’re looking for."

I hope they make it happen.

El Tejano
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Does anyone else feel that if The Texans make this deal with Pitts happen that it will go a long way in the locker room?

I mean, right now you got a couple of not so disgruntled players in Demeco and Owen. Perhaps showing the loyalty to Pitts will let them know that we are going to do everything we can to keep them?

Runner
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Does anyone else feel that if The Texans make this deal with Pitts happen that it will go a long way in the locker room?

I mean, right now you got a couple of not so disgruntled players in Demeco and Owen. Perhaps showing the loyalty to Pitts will let them know that we are going to do everything we can to keep them?

I better be careful with the phraesology on this one...

I don't think Pitts is the locker room leader that he is perceived to be on this board. Therefore, I'm not sure making exceptions for him would have a net positive impact. The good feeling for seeing a player taken care of could be offset by questions of what makes some players special after their usefulness to the team has waned, especially when viewed by top performers who can't get extensions done.

badboy
03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Pitts would ne welcomed back by players id perceived he could do the job. Chester may still have a year or three left as this was his first injury. Team is doing the right thing and same thing with RFA by taking it slow. Texans are in the driver's seat. I think the Smith signing has moved drafting an Oline player further down the priority list.

IDEXAN
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I better be careful with the phraesology on this one...

I don't think Pitts is the locker room leader that he is perceived to be on this board.

Care to elaborate ?
And which players would you rate as LR leaders ?

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM

It would be difficult to extrapolate giving out a small contract to Pitts (and a small contract it will be) to the Demeco/Owen situation where they are seeking big money (especially with Demeco being a high performer........and uninjured). In addition, I don't see "loyalty" factoring into it much.........if they don't feel that Pitts can help right now........and accept a minimal contract, the "friendship's" over is my guess.

BigBull17
03-11-2010, 03:39 PM

If Kubiak feels Studdard is the starter and a good football player, then we'll be in for a long season. He is average at best.

Runner
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Care to elaborate ?

Not really. I generally stay away from talking about the more personal side of players, especially the negative stuff. The vitriol that can explode the moment a player farts sideways is distasteful to me.

IMO, as far as leadership goes most players are just like any other group of people you can gather together to do a project. A few are leaders that can lead a team or unit somwhere. Opposite these are a few prima donna types that couldn't lead a team anywhere because they want it to revolve around them. Most players are some combination of leader/follower. Getting the leader/follower ratios right while mitigating the effects of prima donnas can mean a lot to team dynamics.

I can't rack and stack all the Texans in some leadership pecking order, but I don't have Pitts in the first group.

nero THE zero
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I think it's safe to assume that the signing of Smith has severely limited/negated our interest in Pitts.

That gives us Smith, Studdard, White, Brisel, and Caldwell who are all signed/tendered at the G spot, in addition to whoever we draft there.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I think it's safe to assume that the signing of Smith has severely limited/negated our interest in Pitts.

That gives us Smith, Studdard, White, Brisel, and Caldwell who are all signed/tendered at the G spot, in addition to whoever we draft there.

I see Pitts still being in training camp in that if he is recovered, he can offer things that the others have not yet proven.

Brisco_County
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Re-signing Pitts won't send any significant message to other players. Even though most athletes are not business-minded, they do know that when your value on the field diminishes, so does your place on the depth chart.

SheTexan
03-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Isn't Studdards Dad good friends with Kubes? Kubes NEVER lets a friend down, regardless!!!

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
The "Kubiak loves Studdard" talk could just be a smoke screen in order to sign Pitts for less money. If Pitts feels like he is the better OG then he may feel he has some leverage over the FO.

I'm not going to deny, that Pitts could be an elite LG, if he wanted to be. Personally, I don't think he's coachable. I think our biggest problem when Pitts is in the lineup, is that Pitts wants to play the power O... which like I said, he could be elite..

But if he doesn't get with the program, and with his "iron-man" streak over.. expect to hear Kubiak talk up Studdard (who does exactly what THE MAN wants him to do) or a Wade Smith, or a drafted rookie taking the LG spot.

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Pitts would ne welcomed back by players id perceived he could do the job. Chester may still have a year or three left as this was his first injury. Team is doing the right thing and same thing with RFA by taking it slow. Texans are in the driver's seat. I think the Smith signing has moved drafting an Oline player further down the priority list.

He's a feak'n guard, this injury don't mean squat, he's got another 5 years minimum, 8 or 9 max left....

The Texans aren't jumping on him because he hasn't bought into the system. He'll be better off going to another team, that will allow him to do what he wants to do.. Cleveland would be a good fit. Several teams would be a good fit.

If he is a Texans come training camp, he's going to have to prove that he wants to be here, by doing what GK tells him to do.

If you ever wondered why it has taken soooooooo long to get this system in place here (when it didn't take any team this long, & they didn't have GK & Alex Gibbs) it's because Pitts had an Iron Man thing going.

That's done.. Pitts is done as a Texan, I would bet money Kubiak & Smith aren't at all interested in signing Pitts, unless Pitts realizes this is the best opportunity he'll have for being with a winner. If he doesn't see that, we don't need him, we are better off with out him, even if that means starting Studdard (which I'm not all that thrilled about.)

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Care to elaborate ?

I'm not a Winston Fan, but his game has got much better with Pitts out of the line-up.

2008, he didn't throw one good cut block on the back side of the play. 2009, he is at least trying.

Pitts was poison IMHO, in case you haven't caught on to that by now.

TheRealJoker
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I'd rather have an OL with Pitts doing whatever the hell he wants over the crap we saw last year in the interior OL.

thunderkyss
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I'd rather have an OL with Pitts doing whatever the hell he wants over the crap we saw last year in the interior OL.

I'd rather the guys who finally got it together at the end of last season give it another go, than have Pitts mess up what it took 4 years to get. Cohesion, 5 guys playing as one.

I don't see those five starting, but I believe we'll have a better than average (nothing spectacular) OL to begin the season. We've got Brown, Brisel, White, Studdard, Caldwell, Myers, and Winston with game time.

Pure ZBS, this is as good as it has ever been.

Unless you think Dennison is going to work in the power-O, or some of the sweeps Sherman put in.... we are better off without Pitts.

leebigeztx
03-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I listened to pitts as i listen to nfl on sirius everyday and call in. Pitts said he would take a 1 yr deal, show what he can do and go back on the market. He really likes the texans. He also said slaton was playing with a numb hand from a piched nerve for 7 games or so. He said slaton shouldn't have never been playing, but sucked it up.

beerlover
03-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I listened to pitts as i listen to nfl on sirius everyday and call in. Pitts said he would take a 1 yr deal, show what he can do and go back on the market. He really likes the texans. He also said slaton was playing with a numb hand from a piched nerve for 7 games or so. He said slaton shouldn't have never been playing, but sucked it up.

I suspected as much. thanks for the verification.

gary
03-15-2010, 12:10 AM
I listened to pitts as i listen to nfl on sirius everyday and call in. Pitts said he would take a 1 yr deal, show what he can do and go back on the market. He really likes the texans. He also said slaton was playing with a numb hand from a piched nerve for 7 games or so. He said slaton shouldn't have never been playing, but sucked it up.Repped. Thanks so much for the info that is great to finally hear its about time if it is indeed true. Great post. I knew there had to be something wrong with Stevie to have such a large drop off in preformence like he had last season well, I did not really know anything for sure but I am sure you get my point. I hope so. Thanks, again. I am excited to see Steve getting 100 percent healthy again that and an improved O line should do wonders for him next season every Texans fan hopes so.

leebigeztx
03-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Repped. Thanks so much for the info that is great to finally hear its about time if it is indeed true. Great post. I knew there had to be something wrong with Stevie to have such a large drop off in preformence like he had last season well, I did not really know anything for sure but I am sure you get my point. I hope so. Thanks, again. I am excited to see Steve getting 100 percent healthy again that and an improved O line should do wonders for him next season every Texans fan hopes so.

Yeah, they asked him why the running game struggled so much last year and he said when the best run blocker goes down then the 2nd best run blocker goes down, the running game will struggle. Really, he said what i always said about running game in general. The running game starts with the inside triangle, not the back. If the inside triangle is good, the the running game will be good. Backs are plug and play to me.

If you look at a team like the saints, there was consistency in the running game because jhari evans might be the best guard in football. If you look at the viking this year and peterson having like 3 100 yd games the entire season and his ypc dropping by almost .5 of a yard, its becase they lost the center and hutchinson played injured the whole year. If the texans can fix the inside triangle either by improved player development or free agnecy/draft, the running game will improve big time. They can add lt in his prime, but if the push or movement is backwards, its not going to help the back.

barrett
03-15-2010, 04:52 AM

I think there is quite a bit of uncertianty in that regard.

Lance Z said this (http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/03/mock_draft_version_3_texans_fi.html) when asked the same question

Caldwell, Smith and Brisiel

I don't know much about the lisfranc fracture that Brisiel suffered and how it might effect him coming into the season. It seems to me that we don't have anyone talented enough on the interior Oline that they can sit out a big chunk of camp and jump in and play at a high level. I expect it will hurt his return but that's thinking the worst case.

I'd like to ask Lance if he has any reason to think that's the way it will go down or if it's just a hunch. As for me personally, I really have a hard time seeing it any particular way with such little information. I know that Winston told me via twitter that he felt like Caldwell was physically more made to be a guard. That's more insider information than I've got anywhere else so I'm going to go with that and say he's a LG/RG more likely than a G/C.

Based on what I've seen on gameday I'm going to feel better about that lineup that Lance listed than any other scenario we could have. Basically, any scenario that removes both Studdard and Meyers is a good scenario at this point.

I learned a ton watching these guys in the first 5 weeks (including preseason). It was clear that they weren't in sync even with Brisiel and Pitts in the lineup. I'm hoping to see more crispness this time around.

thunderkyss
03-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Yeah, they asked him why the running game struggled so much last year and he said when the best run blocker goes down then the 2nd best run blocker goes down, the running game will struggle. Really, he said what i always said about running game in general. The running game starts with the inside triangle, not the back. If the inside triangle is good, the the running game will be good. Backs are plug and play to me.

I like a good excuse as much as the next guy, but our run game did not look good at any time this year. Not in the pre-season, not before Pitts got hurt, not at all. Our problems were deeper than Pitts getting hurt.

The Pencil Neck
03-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I like a good excuse as much as the next guy, but our run game did not look good at any time this year. Not in the pre-season, not before Pitts got hurt, not at all. Our problems were deeper than Pitts getting hurt.

Yeah.

It's nice to look at our injuries and say the caused our problems. But our problems pre-dated the injuries.

That applies to the ineptitude of the running game and to Slaton's fumblitis.

gary
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I like a good excuse as much as the next guy, but our run game did not look good at any time this year. Not in the pre-season, not before Pitts got hurt, not at all. Our problems were deeper than Pitts getting hurt.Steve was too. By the time he was probably feeling better he went down with the spine injury.

barrett
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I think the run game looked good with moats getting signifigant carries in week 8 against Buffalo. Then again with Foster in the last two weeks. But that was not good enough obviously. The line couldn't get any push on the zone runs because the D linemen were alwasy attacking the front side so aggressively. And the talent issue would not only not get to the second level but actually get collapsed.

When the line was actually pulling it off the backs were missing the cutbacks. Moats was the only one who seemed to use proper vision last year and it wasn't consistently. I would like to go back and see some of Slaton's big games in '08 and see what the hell was going on then. If I knew then what I know now...

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Michigan Live (http://www.mlive.com/) reports Pitts being brought in:

March 15, 2010, 7:10PM
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are bringing in veteran guard Chester Pitts for a free agent visit this week and there's a perception among Lions' fans that signing him would finally plug the vacancy at left guard. That's not necessarily true.

Pitts, who will be 31 in June, started 114 straight games for the Houston Texans, a span stretching more than seven years. He was one of the league's most consistent performers and made more than $4 million last season. However, Pitts suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game of the year last season.

In addition to a torn ligament, there was also cartilage damage which required microfracture surgery. That procedure, which was performed on Sept. 23 last year, requires a longer recovery time. According to several league sources, Pitts will not be able to go through a full workout until some time in June.

Pitts, though, has said that he wants to be signed before then and, while several teams are interested in him, sources say that none of them is offering much more than a minimum contract. In fact, a league source said the Texans, who know Pitts best, are only offering a SPLIT CONTRACT-- a deal that would pay him less if he ends up on the injured reserve list during the season.

The reason teams are interested in Pitts in because there's a highly positive edge in the risk/reward ratio for the clubs. If Pitts bounces back from the injury and plays like he has in the past, he's a tremendous value. If he doesn't, the money - especially in an uncapped year -- isn't a big issue.

JB
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Michigan Live (http://www.mlive.com/) reports Pitts being brought in:

March 15, 2010, 7:10PM
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are bringing in veteran guard Chester Pitts for a free agent visit this week and there's a perception among Lions' fans that signing him would finally plug the vacancy at left guard. That's not necessarily true.

Pitts, who will be 31 in June, started 114 straight games for the Houston Texans, a span stretching more than seven years. He was one of the league's most consistent performers and made more than $4 million last season. However, Pitts suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game of the year last season.

In addition to a torn ligament, there was also cartilage damage which required microfracture surgery. That procedure, which was performed on Sept. 23 last year, requires a longer recovery time. According to several league sources, Pitts will not be able to go through a full workout until some time in June.

Pitts, though, has said that he wants to be signed before then and, while several teams are interested in him, sources say that none of them is offering much more than a minimum contract. In fact, a league source said the Texans, who know Pitts best, are only offering a SPLIT CONTRACT-- a deal that would pay him less if he ends up on the injured reserve list during the season.

The reason teams are interested in Pitts in because there's a highly positive edge in the risk/reward ratio for the clubs. If Pitts bounces back from the injury and plays like he has in the past, he's a tremendous value. If he doesn't, the money - especially in an uncapped year -- isn't a big issue.

Wow, a whole lot more info than we get from our local scources!

Rep

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=CloakNNNdagger;1383501]Michigan Live (http://www.mlive.com/) reports Pitts being brought in:

Wow, a whole lot more info than we get from our local scources!

Rep

Thanks. Unfortunately, it's the typical rather than the exception.......Gotta dig elsewhere to get information in REAL TIME.:foottap:

JB
03-15-2010, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=JB;1383514]

Thanks. Unfortunately, it's the typical rather than the exception.......Gotta dig elsewhere to get information in REAL TIME.:foottap:

Ain't it the truth!

barrett
03-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Exactly what I expected from the Texans to offer a safe minimum offer. I think they still get their man. And we draft another and camp looks really good. Maybe Pitts doesn't even make it out of camp. Even better, Studdard doesn't! I hope Meyers remains as a backup for a long time.

IDEXAN
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Pitts has been very well paid during his time in the NFL. For example I think he received 3 or 4 million in compensation for last year alone and therefor I'm
not concerned about the Texans not wanting to throw a big contract at him this year with all of the uncertainty about his recovery and return to form, especially now that he's in his 30s.
But what's puzzling is that in this uncapped year the Texans seem to be acting in "a penny wise, pound foolish" manner. Why don't the Texans just pay him the minimum plus a modest premium with a unilateral option to retain him if he bounces back ? I think he's the best OLiemand the Texans have had here and maybe he makes a big-time recover, returns to his old form, and has 2 or 3 good seasons left ?

El Tejano
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Pitts has been very well paid during his time in the NFL. For example I think he received 3 or 4 million in compensation for last year alone and therefor I'm
not concerned about the Texans not wanting to throw a big contract at him this year with all of the uncertainty about his recovery and return to form, especially now that he's in his 30s.
But what's puzzling is that in this uncapped year the Texans seem to be acting in "a penny wise, pound foolish" manner. Why don't the Texans just pay him the minimum plus a modest premium with a unilateral option to retain him if he bounces back ? I think he's the best OLiemand the Texans have had here and maybe he makes a big-time recover, returns to his old form, and has 2 or 3 good seasons left ?

I'm wondering the same thing and I'm sure Chester is too.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM

And what about when the cap comes back?

Fans are thinking that the uncapped year is a carte blanche to go on a spending spree. But all the owners/gms are treating this like the cap is still in place because when a new CBA is put in place, these contracts ARE going to count against that cap.

The guys who are in a good position are teams who want to dump big salaries. Because they can dump them now and not get penalized for it. That's why Delhomme got cut.

TEXANS84
03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Makes me hope we re-sign him even more:

Duane Brown (1:25:30 PM): I hope so. I don't know what goes on on the business side of things, but I would definitely like to have him back out there.

Chester has a very strong lower body. There were some plays that he was out of position and he was able to recover because of his lower body and he just planted. He's a heck of an athlete. He's the only person I've seen who can block Albert Haynesworth on a consistent basis. Before we played the Titans my rookie year, Haynesworth told Pitts before the first play that he voted for him for the Pro Bowl. I was like, "You gotta respect that." And Haynesworth is the strongest player I've ever played against.
link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp)

El Tejano
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Makes me hope we re-sign him even more:

link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp)

That's all I needed to hear. Sign him back now!!!

HOU-TEX
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Personally, I didn't even need to hear that. I've wanted him re-signed since the onset of the FA period.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Personally, I didn't even need to hear that. I've wanted him re-signed since the onset of the FA period.

I want him re-signed BUT I don't want to overpay for a guy whose career may be finished.

HOU-TEX
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
I want him re-signed BUT I don't want to overpay for a guy whose career may be finished.

That kinda goes without saying, considering the tidbits of info on the deal the Texans are offering.

From CND's article above:

a league source said the Texans, who know Pitts best, are only offering a SPLIT CONTRACT-- a deal that would pay him less if he ends up on the injured reserve list during the season.

TheRealJoker
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Given that he can't work out for teams until June and nobody seems to be offering him major $$$ until he works out well in shorts I envision Pitts being resigned around training camp unless a stud interior OL falls to us in the draft.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
That kinda goes without saying, considering the tidbits of info on the deal the Texans are offering.

From CND's article above:

I don't know that it goes without saying. Several people here seem to think we need to re-sign Chester regardless of the price.

I'm all for what we've offered him so far. If he finds a better deal, then I think he should take it. I'll be sorry to see him go.

krocket
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Duane Brown has a career in politics waiting for him when he retires!

False Start
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Yes! :jam:

El Tejano
03-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Then there's this:

Lions | Pitts interested in signing
Comment (0)
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:09:26 -0700

Updating a previous item, Mark Berman, of FOX 26 Houston, reports free-agent OG Chester Pitts (Texans) said he will visit the Detroit Lions Wednesday, March 17, and could sign with the team if the offer is right. "If the Lions give me something I can't refuse, I am not leaving Detroit and I will cancel my trip to San Francisco," Pitts said. Pitts added he is impressed with what's happening in Detroit. "I like what (Lions Head) Coach (Jim) Schwartz is doing," Pitts said. "He's really upgraded his defense by adding (DL) Corey Williams and (DL) Kyle Vanden Bosch."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0iSDj7s7l
Sounds like Chester is trying to apply some heat to our FO.

Man I really don't want Kris Brown to be the last original Texan still standing. Wouldn't it be much better if one of our original draft picks was the last dude standing.

TimeKiller
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Adam Schefter reports: The Texans just offered Pitts a Smell-Ya Later contract

Brown-Studdard-Myers-Caldwell-Winston

DO NOT WANT

I think it's clear now that Caldwell is thought of as a G and knocking on the door of being a starter. Bringing Smith into the fold really puts heat on guys like Studdard, White and Brisiel. It also makes resigning Pitts uneccessary at best. I'm guessing there aren't 5 OG spots available on the roster this year. If I had to look into my crystal ball to say who doesn't make it....McPeePants you are eliminated! They've taken an OL every year in the draft so in keeping trends alive which positions on the OL haven't been addressed?

Tackle and Center. I'm guessing they're good with Brown and Winston as well as Butler. Is there a need for another T or C? Myers is at best a place holder. He's not an answer at C. Who is depth there? Chris Yellow? Gross and no. Myers can at least add some type of value to the OL as a backup C but I believe they'll look to add a C sometime in the draft.

LonerATO
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM

DO NOT WANT

I think it's clear now that Caldwell is thought of as a G and knocking on the door of being a starter. Bringing Smith into the fold really puts heat on guys like Studdard, White and Brisiel. It also makes resigning Pitts uneccessary at best. I'm guessing there aren't 5 OG spots available on the roster this year. If I had to look into my crystal ball to say who doesn't make it....McPeePants you are eliminated! They've taken an OL every year in the draft so in keeping trends alive which positions on the OL haven't been addressed?

Tackle and Center. I'm guessing they're good with Brown and Winston as well as Butler. Is there a need for another T or C? Myers is at best a place holder. He's not an answer at C. Who is depth there? Chris Yellow? Gross and no. Myers can at least add some type of value to the OL as a backup C but I believe they'll look to add a C sometime in the draft.

I think the Texans could have a chance to get Jason Fox in the 4th

painekiller
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM

DO NOT WANT
Bringing Smith into the fold really puts heat on guys like Studdard, White and Brisiel.

My understanding is Smith can play OC also, you maybe be looking at:

Brown Caldwell Smith Brisiel Winston

or

If Pitts is healthy and resigned, big if:

Brown Pitts Smith Caldwell Winston.

I have toyed with this:

Brown Caldwell Smith Winston Butler

Texan_Bill
03-18-2010, 09:32 PM
My understanding is Smith can play OC also, you maybe be looking at:

Brown Caldwell Smith Brisiel Winston

or

If Pitts is healthy and resigned, big if:

Brown Pitts Smith Caldwell Winston.

I have toyed with this:

Brown Caldwell Smith Winston Butler

Just curious, why would you think they would convert Winston from a tackle to a guard?.

dalemurphy
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Just curious, why would you think they would convert Winston from a tackle to a guard?.

Because when he was drafted, Kubiak said he saw him a guard. Even when he started playing RT at the end of his rookie year, Kubiak said things like "we're going to give him his shot at tackle but we think he's a guard".

Texan_Bill
03-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Because when he was drafted, Kubiak said he saw him a guard. Even when he started playing RT at the end of his rookie year, Kubiak said things like "we're going to give him his shot at tackle but we think he's a guard".

Very true, but really, I think he's somewhat under-valued as a tackle. JMO.

dalemurphy
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Very true, but really, I think he's somewhat under-valued as a tackle. JMO.

The thing is, some of us think that Butler is undervalued as a tackle.. meanwhile, we also think Kasey Studdard is overvalued as a guard... and, Chris Myers is overvalued as a Center... So, moving Winston to guard, in theory, could cause the kind of chain reaction that would turn the OL into a very good one...MAYBE

Texan_Bill
03-18-2010, 11:00 PM
The thing is, some of us think that Butler is undervalued as a tackle.. meanwhile, we also think Kasey Studdard is overvalued as a guard... and, Chris Myers is overvalued as a Center... So, moving Winston to guard, in theory, could cause the kind of chain reaction that would turn the OL into a very good one...MAYBE

No question about Studdard, so let's remove him from this equation. I'm okay with Butler, I kinda like Winston, but I think if you have a guy thats played well in a position and you really need to replace another position try the newer guy at the new position. I'm tired of offensive lines being in flux... As much as I hate to admit it, the Oilers got it right about the O-line. They drafted often and early... Steinkuhler, Mathews, Munchak, and many others (who were extremely good, but not necessarily HOF material like those mentioned),.... Stability is key.

I am so sick of the "punch a button and it will happen" mentality.... F my life!

:gun:

El Tejano
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, the Oilers got it right about the O-line. They drafted often and early... Steinkuhler, Mathews, Munchak, and many others (who were extremely good, but not necessarily HOF material like those mentioned),.... Stability is key.

Don Maggs 2nd Round
Doug Dawson 2nd Round Pick (St. Louis Cardinals)
Brad Hopkins 1st Round pick
David Williams 1st round

Even their backups were 1st day picks.
Kevin Donnalley 3rd Round
John Flannery 2nd Round

Jay Pennison was selected in the 1986 NFL Supplemental Draft after the USFL folded.

CloakNNNdagger
03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
During his visit with the Niners, Pitts got a glowing endorsement from QB extrordinaire David Carr. He left without a contract.........but not before revealing some interesting facts about his philiosophies

"Chester Pitts is and outstanding Player and a great [teammate]," Carr wrote on his Twitter account, adding, "He would do nothing but make our team better."

Carr went on to clear Pitts of any blame for all the sacks he took as a Texan, Tweeting that, "Chester was never the problem in Houston, I could [write] a book about the problems, he was not one."

He indicated that he would like to sign with a club as soon as possible, if for no other reason than NFL teams have more advanced rehabilitation facilities than Pitts can find on his own and by his own estimation he's still two months away from being ready to practice.

In addition to the Niners, both the Detroit Lions and Seattle Seahawks have expressed interest in Pitts, as well as the Texans, who'd like for him to re-sign. Obviously money will be a big factor in his decision and Houston makes a compelling case, since there's no state income tax in Texas.

Another factor though, will be which team promises him a starting spot. Pitts is only 30 years old, still in his prime, and he strongly hinted that he doesn't intend to sit on anyone's bench.

Pitts has primarily been a left guard with the Texans, which is 49ers restricted free agent David Baas' position. Baas suffered a foot injury in training camp last year, a big reason why he struggled for the first half of the season before coming on late. Though the players voted him the teams Bobb McKittrick Award winner as the team's best offensive lineman, it was clear that the 49ers coaches and executives certainly did not feel that way about Baas, whom they tendered at only a third round level.

Pitts also made it clear that he'd be comfortable moving over to right guard, but I don't think the 49ers are quite ready to give up on Chilo Rachal just yet, though in some aspects it would make sense to have a more experienced player at that spot, since the team will, in all likelihood, be starting a rookie at right tackle next season.

Pitts was mainly courted by Mike Solari, the team's new offensive line coach, but he met today with Team President Jed York and Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble as well. The guard was his usual cheerful and upbeat self with the media, explaining to the media that he was happy with his visit.

We'll see how happy when - and if - he signs on the bottom line.

LINK

CloakNNNdagger
03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
As far as signing a contract, Pitts also has visited the Lions, and he said the Seahawks showed renewed interest today. He also said he has promised to give the Texans a chance to re-sign him. Pitts said he would like to have a deal done in the next week or so.

Pitts is smart. Asked whether returning to California - he was born in Inglewood - is something he wants, Pitts noted two things: First, he'd probably have to buy more tickets for friends and family. Second, he's been playing in Texas, which has no state income tax. California's is a teensy bit higher. The subtext: Show me the money, Jed York.

LINK (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/free-agent-pitt.html)

Hmm, income tax "a teensy bit higher" in California? The cost of living in Ca. was far from "a teensy bit higher" than in Tx PRIOR to the economy bust. Ca. now is financially in chaos with cost of living even higher........and, even if excluding income tax, citizens are being "taxed" to death in other ways, with benefits slipping away left and right. Unless Pitts is offered an arm and a leg over what the Texans are willing to offer, Pitts will be living in a home half the size and feeding mostly off the fish he can catch and birds he can shoot. The bottom line, it will be up to if the Texans want him back or not.

jaayteetx
03-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Carr went on to clear Pitts of any blame for all the sacks he took as a Texan, Tweeting that, "Chester was never the problem in Houston, I could [write] a book about the problems, he was not one."

Chapter 1, HWNSNBM sucks, really bad.
Aaa, once you've read the first chapter, you get the jist of the whole book.

IDEXAN
03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm really puzzled why the Texans haven't resigned Chester and have concluded it's for one of 2 reasons: (1) throwing in the factor of age (he's now in his 30s), his recovery from his injury to at or near normal form is expected to be very difficult to achieve, (2) for whatever reason he's not that popular in the clubhouse and/or with the management as the average fan perceives him to be. If neither of my concerns is valid, then I don't understand the teams reluctance to resign who many people consider the best OLiemand we've ever had ?

infantrycak
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm really puzzled why the Texans haven't resigned Chester and have concluded it's for one of 2 reasons: (1) throwing in the factor of age (he's now in his 30s), his recovery from his injury to at or near normal form is expected to be very difficult to achieve, (2) for whatever reason he's not that popular in the clubhouse and/or with the management as the average fan perceives him to be. If neither of my concerns is valid, then I don't understand the teams reluctance to resign who many people consider the best OLiemand we've ever had ?

I think it is pretty simple and pretty shrewd by the Texans. Pitts can't even work out or pass a physical for at least two more months but he wants a contract and certainty now. So the Texans have told him we want you back, go out and find out what the market is and odds are we will sign you for the best offer you receive. Rather than get into a pissing match about how much of a discount should be given let the other teams set the price.

IDEXAN
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I think it is pretty simple and pretty shrewd by the Texans. Pitts can't even work out or pass a physical for at least two more months but he wants a contract and certainty now. So the Texans have told him we want you back, go out and find out what the market is and odds are we will sign you for the best offer you receive. Rather than get into a pissing match about how much of a discount should be given let the other teams set the price.
Right, but they may be too smart for their own good ? There's some teams out there that really need help in the their line and have a predisposition to burn some cash on a known talent, even if it's a signing with substantial
risk because of the uncertainty for revovery to preinjury form.
Just like in the Draft, onlt takes one team to pay a big premium for a certain player and that's the risk the Texans take in lieu of locking Pitts up and instead letting him wander around the country talking to various teams.

infantrycak
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Right, but they may be too smart for their own good ? There's some teams out there that really need help in the their line and have a predisposition to burn some cash on a known talent, even if it's a signing with substantial
risk because of the uncertainty for revovery to preinjury form.
Just like in the Draft, onlt takes one team to pay a big premium for a certain player and that's the risk the Texans take in lieu of locking Pitts up and instead letting him wander around the country talking to various teams.

Well one, if some team wants to overpay on a gamble then let them. Two, it sounds like Pitts understands and has told the team he will bring any offer back to them for the opportunity to match. I've been a Pitts advocate around here for years but this doesn't concern me. I think he'll be a Texan next year unless some team offers him stupid money.

CloakNNNdagger
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Well one, if some team wants to overpay on a gamble then let them. Two, it sounds like Pitts understands and has told the team he will bring any offer back to them for the opportunity to match. I've been a Pitts advocate around here for years but this doesn't concern me. I think he'll be a Texan next year unless some team offers him stupid money.

I share your exact impression. Besides the reported Texans' intent to place an "IR" clause in the proposed contract, I'd be surprised if there isn't a written incentives or gentleman's agreement for extension if his return is accompanied by superior performance.

Texan_Bill
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Don Maggs 2nd Round
Doug Dawson 2nd Round Pick (St. Louis Cardinals)
Brad Hopkins 1st Round pick
David Williams 1st round

Even their backups were 1st day picks.
Kevin Donnalley 3rd Round
John Flannery 2nd Round

Jay Pennison was selected in the 1986 NFL Supplemental Draft after the USFL folded.

Oh dude, I absolutely loved how the Oilers used to draft.

El Tejano
03-21-2010, 12:02 AM

You sir are correct I believe. This from KFFL.com

Texans | Want Pitts to be in touch before he signs
Comment (0)
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:28:25 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the Houston Texans want unrestricted free-agent OG Chester Pitts (Texans) to be in touch before he signs with another team.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0imQhgi02

Oh dude, I absolutely loved how the Oilers used to draft.
Mike Holovak was a very underappreciated and underated GM in the NFL.