PDA

View Full Version : AJC: Q&A with Dunta Robinson

nero THE zero
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Pretty brief, but a couple mentions (http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/q-a-falcons-new-356307.html) of Houston.

Q: You're an Athens native. Why didn't you go to the University of Georgia?

A: Georgia really didn't recruit me. They recruited me hard my junior year and sent me a few letters my senior year. ... . So that's something that I'd like to ask (head coach) Jim Donnan and (assistant) coach (Kevin) Ramsey because they were there at the time. If anybody gets that answer from them, please let me know.

Q: Are you more comfortable on the right or left side?

A: I prefer to play the right side because that's the side that I always played. But I donít mind moving around. I've played all over the field. I've played inside and outside on both sides of the field. I love playing right, but wherever these coaches need me, that's where I'm willing to go.

Q: How much did your contract situation affect your play last year in Houston?

A: I don't think it affected my play. What I will say about that whole situation is that I came right off the street, with no training camp, no mini-camp and started in a new defense. I got the playbook that Monday and I was starting by Sunday. ... I started kind of slow, but as the season progressed I was doing better. Toward the end of the season I felt like my old self.

Q: Do you regret getting fined for painting "Pay Me Rick" on you spikes? (Robinson made a salary appeal to Houston general manager Rick Smith on his shoes in the 2009 opener.)

A: Actually, I don't regret it. I didn't appeal it because they allowed me to give the $25,000 to a charitable organization of my choice. I took the fine and donated it to the YMCAs in Houston. It kind of all worked out for the best.

Q: With your new contract, any purchase or investments you are itching to make?

A: You know what? Right now I'm pretty set. My main focus right now is on becoming a businessman. The first thing that I'll do with my money is to buy something that is going to allow me to make money.

When I first came into the NFL, I brought some cars and the house for myself and my parents. I've got everything that I need so ... making money off the field, so that I don't have to spend any of NFL salary, is important. I'm trying to get set up for my future, for life after football.

Q: Are you a better cornerback than former Falcon DeAngelo Hall?

A: I respect DeAngelo Hall, but if you don't think you're better than any corner in the NFL, then you don't stand a chance. I don't know a quarterback who doesn't think he's the best quarterback in the league. Not only do I think I'm the best cornerback in the National Football League, but if you don't go out there and play with that confidence and that swagger, your career won't last long.

I'm surprised he hasn't taken any shots at us. I'm still waiting for it.

IDEXAN
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Q: How much did your contract situation affect your play last year in Houston?

A: I don't think it affected my play. What I will say about that whole situation is that I came right off the street, with no training camp, no mini-camp and started in a new defense. I got the playbook that Monday and I was starting by Sunday. ... I started kind of slow, but as the season progressed I was doing better. Toward the end of the season I felt like my old self.
Well that's an obvious contradiction.
But Robinson is now history for Houston, though I will be curious to see how he does in ATL ?

Blake
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Good for him. I am glad that he is thinking about life after football.

I hate to see him go, but players go where the money is. And for Dunta it aint in Houston.

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Does anyone believe that if Dunta wouldn't have protested the way he did (missing camps, missing preseason, going public on the radio and especially writing Pay Me Rick after a horrible loss) that he would've got the new contract he wanted?

NitroGSXR
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Good luck in Atlanta, Dunta! He was a great Texan once. Thanks for the memories. I hope he does great in Atlanta.

Blake
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Does anyone believe that if Dunta wouldn't have protested the way he did (missing camps, missing preseason, going public on the radio and especially writing Pay Me Rick after a horrible loss) that he would've got the new contract he wanted?

Choir boy, DeMeco, aka our best player not named Andre Johnson cant even get the contract he wants.

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Choir boy, DeMeco, aka our best player not named Andre Johnson cant even get the contract he wants.

And Demeco has an argument for being top 5 at his position. Dunta, not so much.

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
And Demeco has an argument for being top 5 at his position. Dunta, not so much.

Man that sux. I hate how I feel about our front office right now.

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Man that sux. I hate how I feel about our front office right now.

They are playing it smart. I know it sucks to see it, but they are acting like the good franchises. The Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, ect...They wait as long as they can befor extending you. It's heartless, but smart. We were nice befor and that cost us alot of misery.

Wolf6151
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
You can't fall in love with a player just because he's good and/or has been with the team for a long time. It's a business and should be run as such. Everyone loves Demeco but if a team stepped up and offered us the 1st and 3rd round picks that we tendered him at, I'd take it in a heart beat. I'd hate to see him go but a MLB can be replaced.

Mailman
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Dunta Robinson played hard for the Texans and their fans, so I hold no grudges about his need to go where the money was. His answers in that interview show him to be a mature, wise, and motivated young man. I wish him the best.

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
You can't fall in love with a player just because he's good and/or has been with the team for a long time. It's a business and should be run as such. Everyone loves Demeco but if a team stepped up and offered us the 1st and 3rd round picks that we tendered him at, I'd take it in a heart beat. I'd hate to see him go but a MLB can be replaced.

A MLB, yes. One of the BEST MLB's, I dont know. It's hard to give up one of your best players for a 1 and a 3. You don't make yourself better doing that.

JB
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
A MLB, yes. One of the BEST MLB's, I dont know. It's hard to give up one of your best players for a 1 and a 3. You don't make yourself better doing that.

I think it would have to be a high 1 and 3, with the right players in the draft.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

I'm sorta with you on this one. Productive MLB's happen in every single draft.

Double Barrel
03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Drew Brees is going to torch his ass twice a year. Good luck with all that.

Blake
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Drew Brees is going to torch his ass twice a year. Good luck with all that.

Drew Brees torches everyone. No surprise there.

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I think it would have to be a high 1 and 3, with the right players in the draft.

If you could land Rolondo McClain, I could see it. Still think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Mr teX
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Yep. Plus, he isnt exactly coming from easy street having to face Peyton 2 times a year in the AFC south.

Blake
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
If you could land Rolondo McClain, I could see it. Still think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Agree with bold 100%. DeMeco has great instincts, passion, ability, and a nose for the football.

Not to mention he was bred by Alabama football.

Besides, why would McNair sign the entire coaching staff to extensions so they have familiarity, but get rid of the middle cog in his defense? Doesnt make any sense.

If Meco gets an offer, expect the Texans to match.

Double Barrel
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM

yeah, good point. But I think D.Rob will get burned more than the other "best CBs in the league". I think the money that Atlanta spent will be looked at as a mistake in eventual hindsight.

I don't wish bad things for him, but I certainly don't wish him the best. He's just a former Texans player now, so any affinity I had for him is gone. Why would I root for a Falcon player?

It wasn't like the Texans were offering him nothing. His focus is getting paid, and that's what he got. I'm not loyal to any player that is not loyal to my team, but that's just how I roll.

Blake
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
yeah, good point. But I think D.Rob will get burned more than the other "best CBs in the league". I think the money that Atlanta spent will be looked at as a mistake in eventual hindsight.

I don't wish bad things for him, but I certainly don't wish him the best. He's just a former Texans player now, so any affinity I had for him is gone. Why would I root for a Falcon player?

It wasn't like the Texans were offering him nothing. His focus is getting paid, and that's what he got. I'm not loyal to any player that is not loyal to my team, but that's just how I roll.

Great post DB. I am a fan of DRob so I wish him the best, except when playing the Texans.

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Agree with bold 100%. DeMeco has great instincts, passion, ability, and a nose for the football.

Not to mention he was bred by Alabama football.

Besides, why would McNair sign the entire coaching staff to extensions so they have familiarity, but get rid of the middle cog in his defense? Doesnt make any sense.

If Meco gets an offer, expect the Texans to match.

100%. They are seeing if there is a market for him. If there isn't one set, he will get an offer from Texans. I expect him to get an extension this year. OD, maybe mid-season or pre FA next year.

michaelm
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
My main focus right now is on becoming a businessman Hey, 56 million dollar man, don't you think your main focus should be on playing football? Sure, it's the off season, but feel free to mix in a playbook or something...

OzzO
03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
/\ that quote a response reminded me eerily of HWSHBM's days.