PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Bodden to visit Houston-Re-Signs with Pats for 28.5 million /5 years 10 guar.

Pages : 1 [2]

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I guess Bodden just isn't Texans material afterall.....

Any free agents not named Ahman Green aren't Texans material

Texans34Life
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I guess Bodden just isn't Texans material afterall.....according to cheap ass McNair.

Fixed it for you. :)

BSofA04
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Leigh, Leigh, Leigh, YOU SUCK!

J_R
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Adam_Schefter Correct RT @ArmandoSalguero: And even amid denials from his agent, I am told Leigh Bodden WILL be returning to the Patriots.

Texans34Life
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Adam_Schefter

Correct RT @ArmandoSalguero: And even amid denials from his agent, I am told Leigh Bodden WILL be returning to the Patriots.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Fixed it for you. :)

LMAO at all these people who try to pin this on McNair. :lol:

Please list what we possibly could've done outside of handing over a "Dunta" sized contract that would've put this guy in a Texans' uniform. It's as obvious as a fart in church that this guy (and the Pats) were only looking for a offer sheet. We did all the work, the Pats just had to sign on the bottom line.....sometimes that's just how things work out.

Oh, oh oh.....but McNair is just a cheap ass :rolleyes: yep when we can't gather the facts of the situation lets pull that card, that's much easier.

HouSportsWriter
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
his agent just had a update

Leigh has always indicated his desire to return to New England but nothing is official and probably will not be until 2mrw at the earliest

J_R
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
his agent just had a update

Leigh has always indicated his desire to return to New England but nothing is official and probably will not be until 2mrw at the earliest

Thats old news. He's going back to the Pats

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Please list what we possibly could've done outside of handing over a "Dunta" sized contract that would've put this guy in a Texans' uniform. It's as obvious as a fart in church that this guy (and the Pats) were only looking for a offer sheet. We did all the work, the Pats just had to sign on the bottom line.....sometimes that's just how things work out.

Oh, oh oh.....but McNair is just a cheap ass :rolleyes: yep when we can't gather the facts of the situation lets pull that card, that's much easier.

See who of importance gets signed throughout the rest of the offseason:gun:

Kaiser Toro
03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
If I were not a Texans fan I would be dogging my Texan fan friends. This is comical.

http://www.impawards.com/1971/posters/gang_that_couldnt_shoot_straight.jpg

Of course, the sun will rise tomorrow, and my season ticket payment will be due sometime soon.

I am not sure if I am a glutton or a masochist, but that is good enough for another Texanstalk post!

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
See who of importance gets signed throughout the rest of the offseason:gun:

Umm.....who of importance is left? You do realize that this is arguably the weakest FA class in the last decade don't you. My god, broke ass shell of himself Dunta Robinson is now the 2nd highest paid corner in the league, but let's all run around and cry like school girls because our team isn't handing out blockbuster contracts to sub par talent. :rolleyes: Y'all do remember THAT is what got us in this mess in the first place.....does anybody remember the epic Robaire Smith and Todd Wade offseason....both players who were rated top 10 FAs by ESPN that year.

Yeah, that's what happens when you overpay during a weak FA class.

DocBar
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not overly disappointed by this. I've been holding my breath, fearing the contract $$ I would see. I think we can do as well or better in the draft, especially if Earl Thomas is there when we pick. I understand the whole arguement about need a good veteran and all, but you just have to ask "at what price?" FA CB's , especially decent ones, tend to be amost as highly overpaid as RDE's.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Repped.
Wouldn't it be funny if it came out that the Texans deal was for money, yet Bodden elected to stay in New England, anyway? Wouldn't be the first time.

Not all athletes take more money......... Trevor Ariza anyone??

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Umm.....who of importance is left? You do realize that this is arguably the weakest FA class in the last decade don't you. My god, broke ass shell of himself Dunta Robinson is now the 2nd highest paid corner in the league, but let's all run around and cry like school girls because our team isn't handing out blockbuster contract to sub par talent. :rolleyes:

Well, there was Thomas Jones, who will sign with Detroit

Khari
03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
who the hell is leigh bodden

dtran04
03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Agent tried to hold it off and not burn bridges with the Texan front office. He knows that he used them and is trying to make it seem like they were actually in play. He knows that he might have other clients in the future that have to deal with the Texans.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, there was Thomas Jones, who will sign with Detroit

So Houston is scared from signing a older RB....especially one who ran behind the best offensive line in the league. Can you really blame them? That has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING CHEAP, they're just scared as shit to make that same mistake again.

Big Valley
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
SO, we have to draft a DB in the first or second this year, so what?? WE NEED TO!

Leigh Bodden was not a lock down #1 CB (PERIOD!!!). (And neither was Dunta Robinson BTW.... Remember how Kenny Britt abused him on MNF...?)

Why spend HUGE money on Leigh Bodden for gawd's sakes???

You guys need to check back in with reality... I say "bravo!" to "Smithiack."

Texans 2010 #1 Off-season priority = sign D. Ryans to a long term contract.

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
So Houston is scared from signing a older RB....especially one who ran behind the best offensive line in the league. Can you really blame them? That has NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING CHEAP, they're just scared as shit to make that same mistake again.

If you are scared to make a bold move in any profession, then you don't belong there

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM

:lol:

Kulluminatii
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM
If you are scared to make a bold move in any profession, then you don't belong there

Well, making bold moves isn't always a good thing...take a look at the moves the Raiders have made over the years as an example :brickwall:.

Would it have been nice if the Texans got Bodden? Yes. But (IMO) he isn't worth overpaying for.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:46 PM

LOL, signing Liegh Bodden is not a "Bold move". At the dollers it would take to get him to sign here it's called a "desperate move".

Honestly I barely even knew who the hell Leigh Bodden was until this offseason and I bet you didn't know that much about him either (I certainly didn't notice him when we played NE this year and the Pats secondary was god awful this past season), but now he's the second best FA corner on the market during a year where the guy we let go (yes, the guy that WE decided to let walk) was the #1 corner on the market.....and was able to become the 2nd highest paid corner in the league. Sorry, but I'll pass. At the right price I'll gladly take the guy, but at the price he's likely asking....I'll pass.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, making bold moves isn't always a good thing...take a look at the moves the Raiders have made over the years as an example :brickwall:.

Would it have been nice if the Texans got Bodden? Yes. But (IMO) he isn't worth overpaying for.

Booooo to you!! Y'all snookered us into taking P-Burnt. :D

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Standing PAT in an uncapped year isnt good either

Thorn
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Well, whatever. Did it ever occur to any of yall that Smithack saw something in Bodden they didn't like, or had misgivings about?

Maybe they didn't want him after all. We accuse those guys of not knowing what they are doing, but one thing is for damn sure, they know a hell of a lot more about the situation than we do.

In any case, damn. Now we got another need to draft high on and there ain't enough high picks to fill all the damn holes. Again.

So, 9-7 again any one? LOL

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Dan Snyder would love to say hello also......but even that moron signed players with more talent than Bodden and it still didn't work out.

Houston's #1 priority needs to be signing their own young talent...not overpaying during a weak FA market. If DeMeco and Owen were available right now, but of those players would be ranked above Dunta AND Bodden...that's how weak this class is.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Really....is that why just about every team (and especially the top teams in the league) have done just that? Standing pat.

Spending money for sub par talent will kill you every time :rolleyes: you don't just spend money for the sake of spending freaking money. What the hell is that going to accomplish? I hate to tell you this but Houston and Mr. McNair have already BEEN there and DONE that....all that FA class got them was the worst record in the league.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 07:54 PM

The FA talent pool is mediocre at best. Why spend money, just to spend money? Just because it's an uncapped year? That would be fiscally irresponsible.

The Houston Texans organization is a business. They know what their operating budget is, do any of us??

ATXtexanfan
03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I have faith in our young cb's. They looked good last year and now they have a years experience. They'll show up hungry, especially if there's a starting job open.

djohn2oo8
03-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Really....is that why just about every team (and especially the top teams in the league) have done just that? Standing pat.

Spending money for sub par talent will kill you every time :rolleyes: you don't just spend money for the sake of spending freaking money. What the hell is that going to accomplish?

More than sitting on their asses thinking they will make the playoffs

Thorn
03-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Whatever their doing, I don't think it's this.

Texan_Bill

Spending money for sub par talent will kill you every time :rolleyes: you don't just spend money for the sake of spending freaking money. What the hell is that going to accomplish? I hate to tell you this but Houston and Mr. McNair have already BEEN there and DONE that....all that FA class got them was the worst record in the league.

I think some people think that an uncapped yea, means that we have blank checks.

Carr Bombed

Again read above....I added to that post...

What the hell is that going to accomplish? I hate to tell you this but Houston and Mr. McNair have already BEEN there and DONE that....all that FA class got them was the worst record in the league.

Brisco_County
This to me is good news. We didn't spend an unnecessary amount of money on a slightly above average CB. Decisions like this are how an organization keeps players like Demeco.

The Cush
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
John McClain has got to be ecstatic at this news that Bodden isn't coming here just so he wasn't overall proven wrong. What a douche

I love it when he talks about his movie career whenever he's on 610 radio. I heard they are already remaking the movie "Precious", except with a few cultural changes to the characters. McClain is supposedly in the running to be cast as the main character, the one that was originally portrayed by that obese african american girl.

JB
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Actually, It did not come down to money at all. Bodden just realized he would have to face Manning twice a year and that was just too much!

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
This to me is good news. We didn't spend an unnecessary amount of money on a slightly above average CB. Decisions like this are how an organization keeps players like Demeco.

but but but, McNair is a cheap ass.....let's trade him for Snyder and all success that guy has had during free agency.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Actually, It did not come down to money at all. Bodden just realized he would have to face Manning twice a year and that was just too much!

Why do you think Dunta was seen kissing the ground at Hartsfield Airport??

Brisco_County
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
but but but, McNair is a cheap ass.....let's trade him for Snyder and all success that guy has had during free agency.

I've gained a lot of respect for how McNair and Smith do business, especially after the way they handled Dunta.

Thorn
03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I've gained a lot of respect for how McNair and Smith do business, especially after the way they handled Dunta.

I'll feel more confident after I hear they've resigned Ryans. That's cirtical they do that.

NitroGSXR
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Who gives a flying bleep about Leigh Bodden. Andre Johnson gargles Leigh Boddens as a pregame snack.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Who gives a flying bleep about Leigh Bodden. Andre Johnson gargles Leigh Boddens as a pregame snack.

But he's the 2nd best corner during this FA period....that's just as good as calling Joey Harrington the 2nd best QB in the 2002 draft. Bob needs to spend a huge grip of money just for sake of spending a huge grip of money. If Bob wasn't such a "cheap ass" he would've pulled this off...I mean that worked oh so well back in 2004. Damn him, I'm going to scream and pull my hair out like a little girl now. The guy should've opened up his wallet, who cares if Bodden is a high caliber player of not. Who cares if signing him would mean losing a player like DeMeco or Owen (both players who would be top of this FA class), Bob needed to open up his wallet just to keep me from acting like a school girl. That cheap ass bastard!

CloakNNNdagger
03-08-2010, 08:11 PM

I may be cynical, but there is still some doubt in my mind as to if we see the Texans separating from their money for necessary player expenditures.

Ole Miss Texan
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
John McClain has got to be ecstatic at this news that Bodden isn't coming here just so he wasn't overall proven wrong.
Actually it doesn't prove he was right. He said the Texans had no interest in signing Bodden. Whether he signed with us or not, it seemed pretty clear with did have interest.

I do to. McNair, Kubiak and Smith. As a fan, I REALLY wanted to sign Bodden to fill the hole and open up the draft. But I completely respect their decision not to overpay him (if thats true) and to continue building the team they way they have. Some don't like it but I do. I'll concede it's taking longer than I would want but I really like what they're doing with this team.

redwhiteANDblue
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
John McClain has got to be ecstatic at this news that Bodden isn't coming here just so he wasn't overall proven wrong. What a douche

I love it when he talks about his movie career whenever he's on 610 radio. I heard they are already remaking the movie "Precious", except with a few cultural changes to the characters. McClain is supposedly in the running to be cast as the main character, the one that was originally portrayed by that obese african american girl.

:clap:

Brisco_County
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Now that this has all been a bunch of fuss and twittering over nothing, let's take this thread behind a virtual shed and put a virtual bullet in its brain.

PapaL
03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Bodden or OUR guys that need to be re-signed?

Hmm...

Ole Miss Texan
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
And to think I ALMOST created a twitter account over this. :whew

Thorn
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
And to think I ALMOST created a twitter account over this. :phew:

I don't tweet, I ain't no bird. Also my cell phone don't take pictures. hahahaha

Hottoddie
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM

Ditto

houstonspartan
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Eh. This sucks, and I was looking forward to having him here, but, I'm not ready to leap from the top of the Chase tower.

Yeah, he probably used us. Ok. We need to move on.

What's frustrating is that this is going to give more ammunition to the "We should have kept Dunta and now we're going down in flames!!!!!!" crowd, mainly McClain and the morons on 610.

I just do not understand why people think this team rises and falls on Dunta Robinson.

Yawn. It's over. Let's move on and figure out ways to beat the living SHIT out of New England next time Bodden faces us.

NitroGSXR
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
But he's the 2nd best corner during this FA period....that's just as good as calling Joey Harrington the 2nd best QB in the 2002 draft. Bob needs to spend a huge grip of money just for sake of spending a huge grip of money. If Bob wasn't such a "cheap ass" he would've pulled this off...I mean that worked oh so well back in 2004. Damn him, I'm going to scream and pull my hair out like a little girl now. The guy should've opened up his wallet, who cares if Bodden is a high caliber player of not. Who cares if signing him would mean losing a player like DeMeco or Owen (both players who would be top of this FA class), Bob needed to open up his wallet just to keep me from acting like a school girl. That cheap ass bastard!

The point being... it's beyond my control. The only way for me to get McNair to hear me is by giving up my seats. I'm not going to do that. I love football and the Houston Texans are my team. Call me a glutton for punishment or McNair's personal ATM machine if you want. Leigh Bodden is not a Houston Texan. I'm disappointed but life's chock full of disappointments. I dispose of disappointments rather quickly. Now who we bringing in next is all I care about...

CloakNNNdagger
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't tweet, I ain't no bird. Also my cell phone don't take pictures. hahahaha

I've got bigger problems. I don't tweet (I ain't no bird either). And also my camera doesn't take pictures.:cool:

JCTexan
03-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Eh. This sucks, and I was looking forward to having him here, but, I'm not ready to leap from the top of the Chase tower.

Yeah, he probably used us. Ok. We need to move on.

What's frustrating is that this is going to give more ammunition to the "We should have kept Dunta and now we're going down in flames!!!!!!" crowd, mainly McClain and the morons on 610.

I just do not understand why people think this team rises and falls on Dunta Robinson.

Yawn. It's over. Let's move on and figure out ways to beat the living SHIT out of New England next time Bodden faces us.

Which makes me glad they don't run the Texans. Paying Dunta like he's one of the top 5 Corners in the NFL is insane.

TexanBacker93
03-08-2010, 08:52 PM

If they do sign someone like that we'll hear nothing except how stupid the Texans FO is for signing an aging RB again. If they don't sign someone like him we'll hear how cheap they are and all they want to do is make money and not improve.

This team has been improving and I think they still will. They have one of the best draft records over the past 4 years and with a deep draft this year it might be good to focus on getting the best talent in the draft instead of trying to plug holes with guys that will cost more money than they are worth. The teams that consistently win are those that get players on their first contracts not their second or their last ones. The only top notch FA from another team the Pats have signed was Adalius Thomas. How's that worked out for them?

I get as frustrated as anyone when the team loses games they should win, but they aren't being cheap because they are signing weak players to big contracts. Uncapped year or not that is how you create a team with issues.

TexanBacker93
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, whatever. Did it ever occur to any of yall that Smithack saw something in Bodden they didn't like, or had misgivings about?

Maybe they didn't want him after all. We accuse those guys of not knowing what they are doing, but one thing is for damn sure, they know a hell of a lot more about the situation than we do.

In any case, damn. Now we got another need to draft high on and there ain't enough high picks to fill all the damn holes. Again.

So, 9-7 again any one? LOL

Everyone has holes. CB and RB are the only ones on the Texans that should be addressed in the first couple of rounds. Interior linemen on both sides can be found in the middle rounds.

DocBar
03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I've got bigger problems. I don't tweet (I ain't no bird either). And also my camera doesn't take pictures.:cool: But does your camera make phone calls?

Texans_Chick
03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
The point being... it's beyond my control. The only way for me to get McNair to hear me is by giving up my seats. I'm not going to do that. I love football and the Houston Texans are my team. Call me a glutton for punishment or McNair's personal ATM machine if you want. Leigh Bodden is not a Houston Texan. I'm disappointed but life's chock full of disappointments. I dispose of disappointments rather quickly. Now who we bringing in next is all I care about...

Huh?

It was a longshot to sign Bodden, because like Kevin Walter, he wanted to stay with his current team. He used free agency to set the market so that his old team would pay him more. Happens every day.

But sometimes you can cherry pick a player.

This is not the end of the world--sometimes the things that don't end up happening work out for the best. We don't know right now.

A Story

When I bought my first house, I had put a bid on another house but we didn't win the bid so we bid on the house we eventually got. We were disappointed when the first bid fell through.

Eventually, we sold our first house for a nice profit, but the house that we originally put a bid on ended up having catastrophic foundation problems and a lawsuit. So you just never know.

Honoring Earl 34
03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Huh?

It was a longshot to sign Bodden, because like Kevin Walter, he wanted to stay with his current team. He used free agency to set the market so that his old team would pay him more. Happens every day.

This is not the end of the world--sometimes the things that don't end up happening work out for the best. We don't know right now.

A Story

When I bought my first house, I had put a bid on another house but we didn't win the bid so we bid on the house we eventually got. We were disappointed when the first bid fell through.

Eventually, we sold our first house for a nice profit, but the house that we originally put a bid on ended up having catastrophic foundation problems and a lawsuit. So you just never know.

Just like Mick Jagger says , " You can't always get what you want . But if you try sometimes, well you might find you'll get what you need " .

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/03/kevin_walter_is_like_a_dryclea.html

While Leigh Bodden is off the market since he reportedly has agreed to re-sign with the Patriots, in his eyes, Bodden was definitely the second-best CB in free agency behind Dunta Robinson. He didn't, however, think D-Rob was head and shoulders ahead of Bodden based upon his film study and he didn't think Bodden was a lock to be a starter for the Texans if they had signed him.

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Ditto

What a jackass I am. Not only did I create an account, I'm such a dumbass, I never figured out how to post anything.... huge FAIL.

ArlingtonTexan
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
What a jackass I am. Not only did I create an account, I'm such a dumbass, I never figured out how to post anything.... huge FAIL.

I was thinking the whole time that while a nice extra for Bodden, most players care only about the bottomline and my tweeting (I already have one for my students) was not going to matter at the end of the day. That said, I wasn't going to be a spoil sport and ruin the "fun" of those that did bother.

Texans_Chick
03-08-2010, 09:14 PM
[/B]

Just like Mick Jagger says , " You can't always get what you want . But if you try sometimes, well you might find you'll get what you need " .

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/03/kevin_walter_is_like_a_dryclea.html

Pretty much. Bodden would have been a player that would be handy to sign but it is not the end of the world.

Goatcheese

You didn't just let me down Bill, you let the entire city of Houston down.

For shame.

FOR SHAME! :strangle:

NitroGSXR
Huh?

A Story

Huh right back? I think you misunderstood the context of what I was trying to get at which is... I'm over it and still a huge Texans fan who isn't mad at McNair. I don't blame McNair or Bodden or Smith. It is how it rolled out. I believe we'll get ours someday. Definitely. It's why I buy tickets and Texans merchandise.

Texans_Chick
03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I was thinking the whole time that while a nice extra for Bodden, most players care only about the bottomline and my tweeting (I already have one for my students) was not going to matter at the end of the day. That said, I wasn't going to be a spoil sport and ruin the "fun" of those that did bother.

It's kind of fun to have the illusion that you matter. And sometimes you actually do, but you never know when that will be.

/zen
//:kitten:
///:spin:

CloakNNNdagger
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
But does your camera make phone calls?

Only when I tell it to.:D

NitroGSXR
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
It's kind of fun to have the illusion that you matter. And sometimes you actually do, but you never know when that will be.

/zen
//:kitten:
///:spin:

I had fun today for sure. Especially when our efforts were recognized.

I'm all twittered out though. I can't take the pressure. I know I don't need it now of all days!

JCTexan
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Go to twitter.com. Sign into your account. There will be a "What's happening?" box. Start typing into that box. Hit "update" when you're done finishing your message.

To talk to someone directly you have to put @ and then their name... example: "@LeighBodden hope you become a Texan" will be talking directly to Leigh Bodden.

If we lose another free agent because you can't get this down I will be extremely upset. :bat:

pbat488
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM

LOL I need to get my mind outta the gutter

Texan_Bill
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Go to twitter.com. Sign into your account. There will be a "What's happening?" box. Start typing into that box. Hit "update" when you're done finishing your message.

To talk to someone directly you have to put @ and then their name... example: "@LeighBodden hope you become a Texan" will be talking directly to Leigh Bodden.

If we lose another free agent because you can't get this down I will be extremely upset. :bat:

I went through all of that and FAILed. TC tried to walk me through it. Again FAIL. Which is probably a good thing because my posts towards Bodden wouldn't be good...

Fixin to sign off so I can get back to gamin;....

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/AtariConsole-ESQ-CouchPotatoFB.jpg

Hoss
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I went through all of that and FAILed. TC tried to walk me through it. Again FAIL. Which is probably a good thing because my posts towards Bodden wouldn't be good...

Fixin to sign off so I can get back to gamin;....

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/AtariConsole-ESQ-CouchPotatoFB.jpg

I'd give you rep but,i can't.atari ftw!

ChampionTexan
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Well, if Bodden in some future interview says he was one tweet short of signing with the Texans, there's a posse coming for you with a rope.

Since that's pretty unlikely to happen, I'll just consider this the loss of my tweeting virginity (I feel cheap and dirty), and be ready to tweet sweet nothings to the next guy who's sure to put us over the hump - I'm sure he's just around that corner we've turned 8 or 10 times.

Mari-OWNED!
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't worry Houston, I've got this under control!

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2009/10/31/17/1101spbsudo06.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.JPG

barrett
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I think I get what I want here either way. I'm one that's not crazy about him signing here unless it's for a very good deal and he ends up being better than his pay.

If he's using the Texans to get more money from the Pats then I'm perfectly okay with that. If he's holding up the ship to try and squeeze a few more bucks out of Bob then I'm okay with that too.

I keep getting this feeling about how the Texans are approaching deals. They really wanted Antonio Smith. And they made it clear to him. They offered him a fair but not blockbuster deal and he took it. A year later he's campaigning to get Dockett not to re-sign and come to Houston.

I think the Texans are brutally honest (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6082) in these deals.
Kubiak:You never know what a guy's looking for or what's important to them, so you just kind of put your best foot forward, but the most important thing is you put your honest foot forward and you tell them the truth. Because if you get them on your team, you want them here for the right reasons because they know how it's going to be and what's expected of them.

With a guy like Bodden I can see them being very upfront with him about what they think is his value and how much they are willing to offer. I have said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like they are offering a heart felt pitch of "you can get more money somewhere else maybe but our deal is more than fair and you're buying into something special". Take it or leave it, we'd love to have you.

I expect it was similar with Kevins Walter as well.

barrett
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2009/10/31/17/1101spbsudo06.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.JPG

You read my line of thinking that's for sure!

GP
03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I want to weigh in on this.

1. We were all pretty much "thrilled" to think that we had a great chance at landing a decent cornerback.

2. Someone here had a great idea, and a lot of us bought into the idea.

3. Even Bodden himself was a little shocked at the number of people who took the time to encourage him to sign with Houston.

4. It even made fans of other teams (in Boston and Pittsburgh) get into the act, to try and stop the bleeding.

5. And....it fell through and we didn't get the guy.

6. Which brings us to this. Some are handling it well, and some are (a) trashing out Bodden, (b) trashing out McNair, and (c) taking jabs at those who went along with the idea that wasn't a total success.

Which also brings me to this:

So Leigh Bodden, and I will bet that the national sports media saw what was going on, too, see Texans fans pouring out their Twittering guts today. Except at the end of the day, when we didn't get our man, Bodden and others can come here and see how we REALLY feel.

In short: Houston is either a truly down-to-earth, "Howdy!" type of place where we mean what we say. Or, we are fake. That tag of being fake-nice has been thrown around for awhile (about how Texas people are nice unless you tell them that their crap stinks).

I will choose to say that it was fun to join in, and to think that I might be able to join with others in recruiting a guy to our team. Not because it made me feel powerful. But because it made me feel that I went a step beyond "just being a guy who watches football," and instead I became an active participant in maybe a little bit of the life of an NFL player.

When else can I say that I got to say something to an NFL player and I know he probably glanced it, literally within minutes of me saying it? If I sent him a letter, does it ever really get to him? But if I send him an instant message, and he ends up deciding to sign here because of the huge show of support from other fans like me? That would be neat. To think that us regular Joe Fans out here had the chance to make an NFL player feel welcome and wanted on our team.

I had fun doing that today. Always wondered what Twitter was about. And Steph: You seriously are a leader in my book. You alone chose to ask people to act, and look how many tried to do it even at the risk of maybe not doing it right or not liking it very much. Leaders inspire others to do things they never thought they would do. You got chutzpah, lady.

wagonhed
03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
I want to weigh in on this.

1. We were all pretty much "thrilled" to think that we had a great chance at landing a decent cornerback.

2. Someone here had a great idea, and a lot of us bought into the idea.

3. Even Bodden himself was a little shocked at the number of people who took the time to encourage him to sign with Houston.

4. It even made fans of other teams (in Boston and Pittsburgh) get into the act, to try and stop the bleeding.

5. And....it fell through and we didn't get the guy.

6. Which brings us to this. Some are handling it well, and some are (a) trashing out Bodden, (b) trashing out McNair, and (c) taking jabs at those who went along with the idea that wasn't a total success.

Which also brings me to this:

So Leigh Bodden, and I will bet that the national sports media saw what was going on, too, see Texans fans pouring out their Twittering guts today. Except at the end of the day, when we didn't get our man, Bodden and others can come here and see how we REALLY feel.

In short: Houston is either a truly down-to-earth, "Howdy!" type of place where we mean what we say. Or, we are fake. That tag of being fake-nice has been thrown around for awhile (about how Texas people are nice unless you tell them that their crap stinks).

I will choose to say that it was fun to join in, and to think that I might be able to join with others in recruiting a guy to our team. Not because it made me feel powerful. But because it made me feel that I went a step beyond "just being a guy who watches football," and instead I became an active participant in maybe a little bit of the life of an NFL player.

When else can I say that I got to say something to an NFL player and I know he probably glanced it, literally within minutes of me saying it? If I sent him a letter, does it ever really get to him? But if I send him an instant message, and he ends up deciding to sign here because of the huge show of support from other fans like me? That would be neat. To think that us regular Joe Fans out here had the chance to make an NFL player feel welcome and wanted on our team.

I had fun doing that today. Always wondered what Twitter was about. And Steph: You seriously are a leader in my book. You alone chose to ask people to act, and look how many tried to do it even at the risk of maybe not doing it right or not liking it very much. Leaders inspire others to do things they never thought they would do. You got chutzpah, lady.
I think this is a really important post and that all Houston fans would do well to take it to heart.

RagingBull
03-09-2010, 12:22 AM

I think she is like a pr0n chix or something.

Malloy
03-09-2010, 04:20 AM
You didn't just let me down Bill, you let the entire city of Houston down.

For shame.

FOR SHAME! :strangle:

Huge dissapointment overseas too :/

theanswer000
03-09-2010, 07:41 AM
So is Leigh officially gone yet?

gtexan02
03-09-2010, 07:46 AM
So is Leigh officially gone yet?

Not officially

Leigh Bodden's agent is telling everybody "Don't believe the type."

Bodden has not re-signed with the New England Patriots.

"Reports of Leigh Bodden re-signing with the Patriots are not true and premature at best," Bodden's agent, Alvin Keels, tweeted Monday night. "Leigh is still evaluating his options."

Well, fine.

But multiple outlets report Bodden and the Patriots have agreed in principle on a new contract that will keep him in Foxborough after an effective season as the club's right cornerback.

Bodden made like Ryan Clark, flirting with another team before returning home. Bodden visited the Houston Texans on Monday. Clark spent the day with the Miami Dolphins but re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/free-agency-2010

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Why do you think Dunta was seen kissing the ground at Hartsfield Airport??

Until he realizes he has to face Brees twice a year. Maybe Reggie will throw him one of those stiff arms. Or jump over him.

HuttoKarl
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm almost fully on that bandwagon, but man-love for Earl Thomas can't be hurdled.

Blake
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM

The eyes of Texas are upon you my friend.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/06/texas-fivereasons/earl-thomas-p1.jpg

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
The eyes of Texas are upon you my friend.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/06/texas-fivereasons/earl-thomas-p1.jpg

All the live long day!

Cjeremy635
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
So when are we going to find out for certain? Last I heard was that his agent said it wasn't a done deal with the Pats yet. I hate being someone else's bargaining chip! Bunch of BS and now we pretty much have no choice but to go CB in the 1st. Hopefully they don't make a run on CBs before us.

TEXANS84
03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
PacMan is still on the market

BigBull17
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

He is worse than Dunta. No thanks

Cjeremy635
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM

So is Phillip Buchanon..... muahh muahhhhhh muahhhahhhahhhaaaa :evil:

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
So is Phillip Buchanon..... muahh muahhhhhh muahhhahhhahhhaaaa :evil:

Let's just call up Aaron Glenn (our best CB ever) and call it a night.

Cjeremy635
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Let's just call up Aaron Glenn (our best CB ever) and call it a night.

Now we're talkin'! :highfive:

No More 8-8's
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I am not too worried, this draft is deep with with Cornerbacks and Safeties. We can get a starter in Round 2. Just look at Bob Sanders, we was a 2nd Rounder.

C Madd
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Aaron Glenn (our best CB ever)

Ahem, I think you're forgetting a little someone by the name of DeMarcus Faggins...

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Ahem, I think you're forgetting a little someone by the name of DeMarcus Faggins...

I was....thanks for the retracking memories.

Yankee_In_TX
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Speaking of - didn't P-Burnt just get cut?

Joe Texan
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
from the patriots weekly

http://blog.pfwonline.com/?p=2725

Malloy
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
from the patriots weekly

So nothing official yet. Hmm... Pretty sure we'll lose out on that one but hey, that's the FA :)

C Madd
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Speaking of - didn't P-Burnt just get cut?

http://forums.kipin.net/images/smilies/icon_pray.gif

NitroGSXR
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
from the patriots weekly

Restart the twit twit bandwagon!

Ha. I hope he signs with us but he's gotta do what he thinks is best for him.

Thorn
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm already over it. I don't care if he signs or he doesn't now.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
McNair v. Kraft

Advantage: Kraft.

Not that there was any doubt to this, but oh well, now we have to spend an early pick addressing our voluntary hole at DB when we could be filling another critical hole with that pick (C/G, DT, RB)

Bodden used us to establish market and the Patriots were willing to pay him the same money we were, and he chose the Pats because they are committed to winning and have an owner that gets it.

Not saying that McNair was being cheap but if you take the time to bring the guy in, you might as well close the deal. They could have signed Taylor for $3million a year and failed to do so and its obvious that they were outbid on Bodden who was the #2 DB in this draft behind only the guy that we voluntarily let enter the UFA.

and its an uncapped year not a blank check year, but if you need a DB and there are 2 teams bidding on him, why not win the bidding and save your draft pick and all the unknown that comes with it.

I hope I am wrong, but I think our franchise took some big steps backwards this year. We lost our #1 Corner. We re-signed our .500 coach and rewarded mediocrity when we didn't have to re-sign him...toally unecessary. We didn't add anyone to fill any of our holes via FA even though there were people available. We now have a much tougher schedule which should hurt our Wild Card chances in 2010...because its doubtful we will ever beat the Colts out with this current roster as long as Manning is their QB.

I don't see how we improved at all this offseason...and yeah, the draft will improve our team but its going to improve everyone elses team as well. the draft is a given. FA is where you can separate yourself and address areas of critical need of which we had 4....we haven't filled any of the 4.

imho that is utterly pathetic. that is .000 success. people can be optimistic about it, but I choose to be realistic and call it failure. if .000 is not failure than what the hell is.

now I am on the 'sign LT' bandwagon because we need to do something to inject some energy and leadership into this team and it would allow us to not have to look at RB so early. And I don't want Matthews out of Fresno State. One guy from that college was enough. I declare a lifelong moratorium on dude's from that school. Bad karma.

I just don't trust our talent evaluation to have us improve in the draft. They have some hits (Cushing and Pollard) but too many ho-hums or misses. Smith has a very poor record on DBs in particular and he has spent a lot of picks attempting to address it.

maybe Bodden comes back and signs. Hope so because we need to have our DB situation improved before draft day.

beerlover
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Don't give up so easy people. This could acually improve the Texans from last season, meaning I think he is a better player now than Dunta Robinson. It really helps set the draft board & any remaining FA signings. Get it done RS :logo:

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
To answer your first part. I think you could take C and Guard out of the 1st round picture to begin with. Most of the top 5 centers and guards are going to be gone by the time we pick. The top 6-10 guards and centers will be there in the second round and beyond.

El Tejano
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Restart the twit twit bandwagon!

Ha. I hope he signs with us but he's gotta do what he thinks is best for him.

Maybe he saw the twits after all and changed his mind.

JB
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Might not be a bad thing if he re-signs with NE. From LZ's blog http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/03/kevin_walter_is_like_a_dryclea.html

Here is his scouting report:

Lacks top end speed and recovery speed.

Not as effective in man-to-man as he is in zone coverage.

He is a willing tackler and physical against the run.

Doesn't locate the ball well when he has his back to play.

Good instincts in zone coverage.

Overall a pretty tough CB who is best when the play is in front of him.

Won't be a guy who will lock up the better WRs in man to man.

Generally a pretty reliable tackler against the run and after the catch

Goatcheese
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Life as a Texans fan as seen through the eyes of SH: McNair -->http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-1005.gif<--The fans

.................................................. .................................................. :money:

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Life as a Texans fan as seen through the eyes of SH: McNair -->http://planetsmilies.net/obscene-smiley-1005.gif<--The fans

.................................................. .................................................. :money:

not following your meaning...but I dont know.l

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
McNair v. Kraft

Advantage: Kraft.

Not that there was any doubt to this, but oh well, now we have to spend an early pick addressing our voluntary hole at DB when we could be filling another critical hole with that pick (C/G, DT, RB)

Bodden used us to establish market and the Patriots were willing to pay him the same money we were, and he chose the Pats because they are committed to winning and have an owner that gets it.

Not saying that McNair was being cheap but if you take the time to bring the guy in, you might as well close the deal. They could have signed Taylor for $3million a year and failed to do so and its obvious that they were outbid on Bodden who was the #2 DB in this draft behind only the guy that we voluntarily let enter the UFA.

and its an uncapped year not a blank check year, but if you need a DB and there are 2 teams bidding on him, why not win the bidding and save your draft pick and all the unknown that comes with it.

I hope I am wrong, but I think our franchise took some big steps backwards this year. We lost our #1 Corner. We re-signed our .500 coach and rewarded mediocrity when we didn't have to re-sign him...toally unecessary. We didn't add anyone to fill any of our holes via FA even though there were people available. We now have a much tougher schedule which should hurt our Wild Card chances in 2010...because its doubtful we will ever beat the Colts out with this current roster as long as Manning is their QB.

I don't see how we improved at all this offseason...and yeah, the draft will improve our team but its going to improve everyone elses team as well. the draft is a given. FA is where you can separate yourself and address areas of critical need of which we had 4....we haven't filled any of the 4.

imho that is utterly pathetic. that is .000 success. people can be optimistic about it, but I choose to be realistic and call it failure. if .000 is not failure than what the hell is.

now I am on the 'sign LT' bandwagon because we need to do something to inject some energy and leadership into this team and it would allow us to not have to look at RB so early. And I don't want Matthews out of Fresno State. One guy from that college was enough. I declare a lifelong moratorium on dude's from that school. Bad karma.

I just don't trust our talent evaluation to have us improve in the draft. They have some hits (Cushing and Pollard) but too many ho-hums or misses. Smith has a very poor record on DBs in particular and he has spent a lot of picks attempting to address it.

maybe Bodden comes back and signs. Hope so because we need to have our DB situation improved before draft day.

SH,

Man, I just don't get the things you choose to criticize. Here are the Dbacks Rick Smith has brought to the Texans:

Bennett- 4th
Molden -3rd
DBarber - 6th
Quin - 4th
McCain - 6th

FAs
Reeves
EWilson
Pollard.... Reeves for moderate money and Wilson and Pollard for cheap.

Now, while I can't argue that he's a DB genius based on these players, I'm not sure how this list makes you distrust him.

FA is still early. We get better this year because we have a lot of young, talented players growing up in the system. Those youthful players will be significantly better this year... just like it happened with these players:

KWalter
ODaniels
Studdard
Winston
Diles
MSchaub
Jac. Jones
Mario
D. Anderson

these are young players that markedly improved in their second and third years under Kubiak. This is the sort of improvement we can expect from some of the following players:

Barwin
Quin
McCain
Molden
Caldwell
A.Foster
Casey
T. Jamison
Okam
among others....

Some will improve dramatically. some won't. But, we are relying on nobody on the entire team that is on the declining side of their careers. This is why optimism is warranted without big FA signings, IMO.

Hervoyel
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
It's not the end of the world if we don't sign Leigh Bodden. It was a good thing to pursue him and it would be one way to deepen the secondary. It's not the only way. There is more than one way to skin a cat and going into the draft needing a cornerback isn't the worst possible fate for the Texans. All this crying a gnashing of teeth about how the Texans now MUST use an early pick on a cornerback is getting a bit old. It's not like we only have one pick on the first day of the draft. It's not like our team is filled with holes from top to bottom.

So we get a RB and a CB on day one, do BPA with the rest of our picks for the most part and call it a day. Come training camp we trot out Reeves and the best of the new rookie/Quin/Mccain/Bennett/Molden and play with essentially the same OL we did last year.

Is it optimal? Are we going to get everything we want? No, not really. Maybe we can add a FA guard or center to help the offensive line, maybe we can trade down and pick up another DB to increase the odds that we hit on at least one. Possibly Robinson or Okam or Okoye has a light come on upstairs and one of them takes a step up. Now would sure be a good time for that to happen.

Maybe we go try another retread anyway and see if he can beat out Foster and/or Slaton (if he makes it back in time for 2010 like he says he will). We can't always fail at this stuff. Sooner or later we're going to hit on a FA.

Now that I think about it does anyone remember a single FA we've ever truly hit on? I know about Pollard but I am specifically talking about guys who we signed during the big FA bonanza held every year about this time. When did we ever score a single difference maker (in the positive sense) in free agency?

The thing is though that every team has some unit that's not where they want it to be. I have this strange feeling (too much Kool Aid?) that we're going to be fine.

Maybe someobody spiked the Kool Aid?

Anybody seen Thorn around here lately? He wasn't carrying a bottle was he?

Thorn
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Anybody seen Thorn around here lately? He wasn't carrying a bottle was he?

I'm here, I posted earlier today in this thread. So, who's been nippin' at the bottle then, huh? LOL

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Now that I think about it does anyone remember a single FA we've ever truly hit on? I know about Pollard but I am specifically talking about guys who we signed during the big FA bonanza held every year about this time. When did we ever score a single difference maker (in the positive sense) in free agency?

Antonio Smith
Eugene Wilson
Kevin Walter (RFA)
V. Leach
J. Reeves
in addition to Pollard

I realize that list isn't sexy. But, it's going to look pretty good if those are 5 of 22 starters who win 11-12 games and make a run in the playoffs. In addition to A. Smith, I think we were aggressive in getting Kevin Walter, J.Reeves... I'm not sure about the rest of the list.

Cjeremy635
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
It's not the end of the world if we don't sign Leigh Bodden. It was a good thing to pursue him and it would be one way to deepen the secondary. It's not the only way. There is more than one way to skin a cat and going into the draft needing a cornerback isn't the worst possible fate for the Texans. All this crying a gnashing of teeth about how the Texans now MUST use an early pick on a cornerback is getting a bit old. It's not like we only have one pick on the first day of the draft. It's not like our team is filled with holes from top to bottom.

You and your damn common sense...... I liked the doom and gloom stuff better.

Ryan
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I still have some false hope left. :texflag:

That's the epitome of a Texans fan right here.

Cjeremy635
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I still have some false hope left. :texflag:

That's the epitome of a Texans fan right here.

word....:handshake:

Hooston Texan
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM

Hate to break it to you, but we do have only one pick on the first day of the draft. Of course, that's because of this idiotic new schedule the NFL has for the draft. Hopefully, this Thursday-Saturday format will go the way of "New" Coke back in the 1980s.

I definitely agree on the substance of your post. Each year, our needs have become fewer and more defined. Compare to say, draft day 2006, when our needs could be defined as: defense, offense (except #1 WR) and special teams.

MeLoveTexans
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM

I thought we did only have one pick the first day. After all, the first day is only round 1 now!:spin:

Errant Hothy
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Signs with the Pats for 5 years / 28.5 million with 10 mil guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/report-bodden-deal-finally-done/

I'm not sure he's worth that.

Shaft75
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/report-bodden-deal-finally-done/

Done... :(

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I LOL at fans if McNair had signed Bodden the MB would've been saying how great Bodden is.

Now that he didn't sign Bodden really wasn't much of an upgrade anyway. Face to get Bodden to sign with the Texans or any top FA to sign with the Texans McNair is going to have to over pay. McNair is not going to do that. That's just the way it is.

If it comes down to the Pats and the Texans and the money is about the same can you really blame Bodden for choosing the Pats over the Texans?

The Pats are trying to win SB's. Meanwhile the Texans are just hoping to make the playoffs. 8 yrs and counting

The Texans have to change the way they do business. IMHO

I didn't do the twitter thing because $ talks and I had a feeling that Bodden was using McNair to up Krafts ante. For McNair to beat out Kraft he would've had to give Bodden a reason to change teams. That reason is usually $ and we all know hoe McNair operates.

Steph the twitter thing was a nice try and you are a wonderful leader. But at the end of the day $ wins out over symbolism.

Tailgate
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Good deal. Moving on now. Bodden who?????

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah I'm just loving the way McNair does business. 8 yrs and counting no playoffs.

Just bleeping wonderful.

HOU-TEX
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah I'm just loving the way McNair does business. 8 yrs and counting no playoffs.

Just bleeping wonderful.

Great logic. :rolleyes:

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Great logic. :rolleyes:

Where do you disagree with that logic?

I expect greatness from this team.

Some fans are just happy to have a team. It doesn't matter if they are any good.

Are you in that group of fans?

What are your expectations of the Texans organization?

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM

I figured it would end up being more than that. If he would have signed here for that amount I would have been pleased. Not a super great contract but under $6MM a year.

I'll admit I wanted us to sign Bodden, but if Smith thought he was of similar calibre as Reeves and Quin, then I'd agree he wasn't worth it. I was hoping he could come in and be a legit #1 starter with the other two fighting for the second spot. I'd only overpay if we knew we were getting a guy that would for sure be a legit starter. Much like the Antonio Smith signing, we knew he was going to be the starting DE opposite Mario no ifs ands or buts about it.

NitroGSXR
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM

It sounds like we made a mega offer if this is a match by New England.

Thorn
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
He's not worth that kind of money, glad he didn't sign with us now.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
why is anyone surprised? Kraft wants to win SBs and McNair re-signs his .500 coach who had a year left on his deal after a 9-7 season and no playoffs.

did anyone think Kraft was going to get played by McNair? I had hope that Bob would pony the $$ up but its painfully obvious $$ > Wins to McNair.

we shave $10-$12 million off our payroll with the release of Dunta and we can't even guarantee the same amount to his replacement over a multi-year period. are players supposed to come here for free or because of our tradition of winning?

The fact that Bodden got his contract means he is worth his contract. He is just worth more to teams that aren't afraid to spend a little dough to improve their team.

this offseason the McNair v. Kraft scoreboard head-to-head is
Kraft 2
McNair 0

i know a lot of you are happy with the team's direction and ownership, but i just can't see a commitment to improving and i can't see a commitment to making playoffs much less a championship. just my opinion but its based on history and results...not speculation and good wishes.

ot- on the way to work some guy had his truck Texans-tricked out and he had a 9-7 on the back of his window under the logo. the 9 and 7 had horns on them so they looked official...i hope that we aren't selling 9-7 decals.

beerlover
03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
five years $28.5 million with $10 million guaranteed
is almost half of what Dunta Robinson got
six years $57 million with $25.5 million guaranteed
excatly what do the Texans expect?

JB
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
IT Is Over!

end thread

dalemurphy
I LOL at fans if McNair had signed Bodden the MB would've been saying how great Bodden is.

Now that he didn't sign Bodden really wasn't much of an upgrade anyway. Face to get Bodden to sign with the Texans or any top FA to sign with the Texans McNair is going to have to over pay. McNair is not going to do that. That's just the way it is.

If it comes down to the Pats and the Texans and the money is about the same can you really blame Bodden for choosing the Pats over the Texans?

The Pats are trying to win SB's. Meanwhile the Texans are just hoping to make the playoffs. 8 yrs and counting

The Texans have to change the way they do business. IMHO

I didn't do the twitter thing because $ talks and I had a feeling that Bodden was using McNair to up Krafts ante. For McNair to beat out Kraft he would've had to give Bodden a reason to change teams. That reason is usually $ and we all know hoe McNair operates.

Steph the twitter thing was a nice try and you are a wonderful leader. But at the end of the day $ wins out over symbolism.

On the other hand, other fans would be mocking the Texans for overspending for the guy and arguing that he's not very good.

aka Jacques Reeves!

AnthonyE

Exactly. There's no reason why we shouldn't have been able to match that offer.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM

they expect to have sellouts, sell lots of $8 beers, and to raise ticket prices again.

they also seem to expect to have their team magically improve.

oh well, this is the 7-9 offseason all over again. just expect your team to magically improve and next thing you know you are 2-14. if things play out that way, I bet some people may have to re-think this offseason.

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM
they expect to have sellouts, sell lots of $8 beers, and to raise ticket prices again.

oh well, this is the 7-9 offseason all over again. just expect your team to magically improve and next thing you know you are 2-14. if things play out that way, I bet some people may have to re-think this offseason.

Yeah and with the upcoming schedule I dont think 6-10 is out of the question.

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 03:41 PM

When was our last 7-9 off-season? Would that be the off-season when we went from 2 wins to 6? Or the last three seasons, when we've bettered that mark every time?

disaacks3
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM

QFT!

The Texans played low-ball and hoped for the best. If McNair wasn't going to pony up THIS off-season (no CAP and front-loading contracts), then he's NEVER going to do it. If I was making the profit he's making with the Texans record, I have to admit I'd be hard-pressed to spend more too.

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
On the other hand, other fans would be mocking the Texans for overspending for the guy and arguing that he's not very good.

aka Jacques Reeves!

People act as if it's their $ thats being spent.

Reeves is well worth the $ tha's being spent on him. IMHO

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
My speculation is that the Texans offered somewhere in this neighborhood and were matched/upped by the Pats. At the end of the day, the player was not signed. Was it all pure money?? Probably not. The Pats are still closer to the Superbowl than the Texans and he already know the players/systems and lives in that town. Barring a compelling reason (otherwise known significantly more money) the Pats had the edge all along.

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
why is anyone surprised? Kraft wants to win SBs and McNair re-signs his .500 coach who had a year left on his deal after a 9-7 season and no playoffs.

did anyone think Kraft was going to get played by McNair? I had hope that Bob would pony the $$ up but its painfully obvious $$ > Wins to McNair.

we shave $10-$12 million off our payroll with the release of Dunta and we can't even guarantee the same amount to his replacement over a multi-year period. are players supposed to come here for free or because of our tradition of winning?

The fact that Bodden got his contract means he is worth his contract. He is just worth more to teams that aren't afraid to spend a little dough to improve their team.

Kraft 2
McNair 0

i know a lot of you are happy with the team's direction and ownership, but i just can't see a commitment to improving and i can't see a commitment to making playoffs much less a championship. just my opinion but its based on history and results...not speculation and good wishes.

ot- on the way to work some guy had his truck Texans-tricked out and he had a 9-7 on the back of his window under the logo. the 9 and 7 had horns on them so they looked official...i hope that we aren't selling 9-7 decals.

Do you know what the Texans offered him? I just don't get how people can continue to say McNair is cheap when we don't even know any details. How do you not know that is the exact terms we offered him but New England matched us? All else equal, he stays in NE where he's familiar with and has all his stuff. NE was always in the position to match any offer... not us.

Also, I just don't get why people keep blaming McNair for all this "cheap" business. If I was a betting man, I'd say he's talked to Rick Smith regarding $ to spend or not spend $. Smith has a much better idea of the $'s it will take in this day an age because that's half his job. If anything people should be blaming Rick Smith for being "cheap". He's the one of the guys negotiating the terms and saying how much player x is worth to us. Not Bob McNair.

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 03:49 PM
QFT!

The Texans played low-ball and hoped for the best. If McNair wasn't going to pony up THIS off-season (no CAP and front-loading contracts), then he's NEVER going to do it. If I was making the profit he's making with the Texans record, I have to admit I'd be hard-pressed to spend more too.

Aint that the truth.

More and more fans are begining to wisen up.

It doesn't matter to some fans because to some fans having crappy football is better than having no football at all.

Until that sentiment changes dont expect McNair to change the way he does business.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
My speculation is that the Texans offered somewhere in this neighborhood and were matched/upped by the Pats. At the end of the day, the palyers was not signed. Was it all pure money?? Probably not. The Pats are still closer to the Superbowl than the Texans and he already know the players/systems and lives in that town. Barring a compelling reason (otherwise known significantly more money) the Pats had the edge all along.

QFT. Knowing that, ownership/management needs to realize that you have to pay more than your competition. $2 million more in guaranteed probably gets the deal done. Now we have to spend a draft pick on the position and that is risky. Isn't saving that draft pick for another position worth $2million?

wouldn't someone pay $2 million for a 2nd Round pick much less a 1st Round?

we have teams having to give up a 1st just to move up in the draft, much less to free up a pick lock stock and barrel.

i just don't see a commitment to improving and putting the best product possible on the field. it's just that simple. i know some of you think we are improving and we are doing everything possible, i just dont see it.

i thought our modus operandi was to get a team together to beat Peyton. well losing your #1 corner and replacing him with a rookie or a 2nd year guy isn't following that stated MO.

Blake
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM

This is actually really fun to watch. Now that we lost out on Bodden more and more people are starting to see why you and I and steelbtexan feel the way we do about McNair.

Face it guys. McNair has more things to worry about than spending money on better players for his team.

He has to make sure that if there is no football next year his bottom line wont get hit too bad.

And I dont want anyone compairing the Steelers, or Eagles, or Colts, or Pats free agent spending to ours.

THEY ARE PLAYOFF TEAMS!

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Do you know what the Texans offered him? I just don't get how people can continue to say McNair is cheap when we don't even know any details. How do you not know that is the exact terms we offered him but New England matched us? All else equal, he stays in NE where he's familiar with and has all his stuff. NE was always in the position to match any offer... not us.

Also, I just don't get why people keep blaming McNair for all this "cheap" business. If I was a betting man, I'd say he's talked to Rick Smith regarding $ to spend or not spend $. Smith has a much better idea of the $'s it will take in this day an age because that's half his job. If anything people should be blaming Rick Smith for being "cheap". He's the one of the guys negotiating the terms and saying how much player x is worth to us. Not Bob McNair.

ok its Smith's fault. McNair is willing to spend the $$ but Rick just won't let him.

and if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona you might like.

Errant Hothy
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
QFT. Knowing that, ownership/management needs to realize that you have to pay more than your competition. $2 million more in guaranteed probably gets the deal done. Now we have to spend a draft pick on the position and that is risky. Isn't saving that draft pick for another position worth $2million?

we have teams having to give up a 1st just to move up in the draft, much less to free up a pick lock stock and barrel.

i just don't see a commitment to improving and putting the best product possible on the field. it's just that simple. i know some of you think we are improving and we are doing everything possible, i just dont see it.

i thought our modus operandi was to get a team together to beat Peyton. well losing your #1 corner and replacing him with a rookie or a 2nd year guy isn't following that stated MO.

Who's to say that NE wouldn't have matched that offer? IF Bodden was using us to drive up the price in NE then we would have had to pay way above his value to keep NE from matching.

Can somebody explain to me how McNair does not open up his wallet when the Texans are routinly at our near the salary cap each year? As for going nuts this year, who besides the Bears (whose FO are all in fear of losing their jobs) is spending big time money?

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2010, 04:00 PM

The one thing I know is that the Texans have some plan and business model, that is probably not the one I would use. There is line of being aggressive and not overpaying for average to good players. Whether they should have been on the other side of that line than they drew with Bodden remains to be seen.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
This is actually really fun to watch. Now that we lost out on Bodden more and more people are starting to see why you and I and steelbtexan feel the way we do about McNair.

Face it guys. McNair has more things to worry about than spending money on better players for his team.

He has to make sure that if there is no football next year his bottom line wont get hit too bad.

And I dont want anyone compairing the Steelers, or Eagles, or Colts, or Pats free agent spending to ours.

THEY ARE PLAYOFF TEAMS!

the Pats are free to do what they want because they weren't in Divisional Playoffs. they lost in Wild Card round, freeing them up to do what they want.

but yeah, more people will see it but let's face it. they already see it, its just a tough pill to swallow. we have loyal fans. i am a loyal fan. i just think its similar to how when Carr was sooooo bad but everyone thought he was fine and blamed everything else from coaching to offensive line to offensive coordinator to no running threat to no good #2 WR opposite Andre. Once it was just staring them in the face, they came around but a bit too late to make a difference.

all i know is Smithiak better roll snake eyes on this draft because it could get real ugly if they take a big step back when they have the resources to take steps forward.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Who's to say that NE wouldn't have matched that offer? IF Bodden was using us to drive up the price in NE then we would have had to pay way above his value to keep NE from matching.

Can somebody explain to me how McNair does not open up his wallet when the Texans are routinly at our near the salary cap each year? As for going nuts this year, who besides the Bears (whose FO are all in fear of losing their jobs) is spending big time money?

so our FO isn't in fear of losing their jobs? that is exactly what I am saying. 9-7 was good enough for the owner and it shouldn't be. 9-7 saved Kubiak's job and got him an extension and it shouldn't have.

as for NE matching the offer, so be it...but to get beaten out at a critical need position with only $10 million guaranteed is pretty bad.

Blake
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Our offer wasnt even good enough to force NE to match. So we were obviously low balling him. Otherwise he would have signed, and NE would have the OPTION to match. But we didnt even get that far.

So the Texans FO and coaching shouldnt be worried about losing their jobs if they have a 5th straight non-playoff season? But I guess you are right. If we go another season under .500 or missing the playoffs McNair will just give Rick Smith and the coaches another contract extension! Keep the party going!

Oh, and PS. Ticket prices will go up again.

Errant Hothy
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
so our FO isn't in fear of losing their jobs? that is exactly what I am saying. 9-7 was good enough for the owner and it shouldn't be. 9-7 saved Kubiak's job and got him an extension and it shouldn't have.

as for NE matching the offer, so be it...but to get beaten out at a critical need position with only $10 million guaranteed is pretty bad.

Not like the Bears who went from the SB to worse then us over the last three years.

houstonspartan
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Kraft 2
McNair 0

Wow, no joke? That's sad.

Texanmike02
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
WAKE UP PEOPLE.

OMFG.

Can you believe we let Deon Sanders get away? I mean he was right her.. huh?
<someone whispering>
That wasn't Neon Deon?
<pspspspspssssps>
You sure? Oh.. Champ B.. No? Jerry Gray??? No?
<whisper whisper psst psst>
Leigh who? Bodden? Why this is the best free agent class...
<whisper whisper>
No its not THAT Bad is it?
<nod nod>
Um.. THAT bad?
<whisper whisper>
You mean outrageous contracts for average players who make a crap-load of money are going to be a problem whenever a salary cap gets reinstated? But Bob Mcnair needs to...
<whisper whisper>
Of course its not my money... but I pay for ticke...
<whipser whisper>
Well yes I get a seat at a stadium... one of the best in the country... that doesn't mean that I...
<whisper whisper>
Why no, I've never been told there wouldn't be a game.. well other than Ike...
<whisper whisper>
I most certainly will NOT shut up... I'm a FAN... I have a fanboard... I will whine and ***** and moan about it ALL EFFING DAY... DO YOU HEAR ME??? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M A FAN DAMMIT!!!...

Mike

Double Barrel
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I expect greatness from this team.

Really?

Well whose fault is that? :fingergun:

I think I see your problem. You have expectations. If you lowered them, or just got rid of them altogether, then you'd never be disappointed by this franchise's product. Because, let's face it, 8 years and counting of mediocre results should not be the foundation by which great expectations (or is that expectations of greatness...) are based. :shades:

TexanFan881
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
A lot of people are overreacting to the fact that were not doing anything. I'm happy were not overspending for someone like Leigh. I mean, we would have had to offer more than New England did which would be $6+ mil a year, and I don't think he's worth that. This is a very deep draft and I think that is way more important than the week free agency class. Remember the Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and did absolutely nothing in free agency and went on to make the playoffs last year and looked really good. The reason: the year before they just lost a lot of close games...sounds a lot like us huh? I'm not worried I doubt we miss the playoffs with the team we have.

Texanmike02
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Really?

I think I see your problem. You have expectations. If you lowered them, or just got rid of them altogether, then you'd never be disappointed by this franchise's product. Because, let's face it, 8 years and counting of mediocre results should not be the foundation by which great expectations (or is that expectations of greatness...) are based. :shades:

Signed Saints fan.

TEXANRED
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Really?

We are the new Saints/Cards/Bucs of the NFL except without the SB creds.

We are not going to get anyone of any real value to sign here anyway. Not with us not paying our own super stars. What kind of message does that send to our own players if we go off and spend big money in the FA market.

Browns fans know our pain. Bu at least our playoff failure doesnt have a label on it like "The Drive."

infantrycak
03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Our offer wasnt even good enough to force NE to match. So we were obviously low balling him. Otherwise he would have signed, and NE would have the OPTION to match. But we didnt even get that far.

Really and you know this how? Bodden was UFA. Didn't matter what the Texans offered it was totally up to Bodden on whether to let New England match or up the ante.

Double Barrel
03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
We are the new Saints/Cards/Bucs of the NFL except without the SB creds.

We are not going to get anyone of any real value to sign here anyway. Not with us not paying our own super stars. What kind of message does that send to our own players if we go off and spend big money in the FA market.

Browns fans know our pain. Bu at least our playoff failure doesnt have a label on it like "The Drive."

yep, we are that team in the NFL until proven otherwise. Often, perception is reality, but in our case, reality is reality.

Oh yeah, 'cept for 9-7 and losing 6 out 7 games by less than a touchdown, because, as we all know, those things count!...at least in our heads...which reminds me, needs be checked. ;)

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Really and you know this how? Bodden was UFA. Didn't matter what the Texans offered it was totally up to Bodden on whether to let New England match or up the ante.

The players' free will is always at issue, but we will still see "the texans should sign or why didn't the Texans sign or they should just kept offering utnil he signed post"

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
yep, we are that team in the NFL until proven otherwise. Often, perception is reality, but in our case, reality is reality.

Oh yeah, 'cept for 9-7 and losing 6 out 7 games by less than a touchdown, because, as we all know, those things count!...at least in our heads...which reminds me, needs be checked. ;)

A radio host in Dallas a few weeks back called us the "picture of mediocirty" and some version the most "non-descript team" in the NFL. I wanted to call in rag on him, but he spoke the truth of our league wide perception.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
WAKE UP PEOPLE.

OMFG.

Can you believe we let Deon Sanders get away? I mean he was right her.. huh?
<someone whispering>
That wasn't Neon Deon?
<pspspspspssssps>
You sure? Oh.. Champ B.. No? Jerry Gray??? No?
<whisper whisper psst psst>
Leigh who? Bodden? Why this is the best free agent class...
<whisper whisper>
No its not THAT Bad is it?
<nod nod>
Um.. THAT bad?
<whisper whisper>
You mean outrageous contracts for average players who make a crap-load of money are going to be a problem whenever a salary cap gets reinstated? But Bob Mcnair needs to...
<whisper whisper>
Of course its not my money... but I pay for ticke...
<whipser whisper>
Well yes I get a seat at a stadium... one of the best in the country... that doesn't mean that I...
<whisper whisper>
Why no, I've never been told there wouldn't be a game.. well other than Ike...
<whisper whisper>
I most certainly will NOT shut up... I'm a FAN... I have a fanboard... I will whine and ***** and moan about it ALL EFFING DAY... DO YOU HEAR ME??? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M A FAN DAMMIT!!!...

Mike

that is a lot of effort for nothing but hope you feel better. i hope you weren't going for laughs.

but yeah, he isn't Deion Sanders so he couldn't help our team. Let's just stand pat. Everything is fine.

Signed,
2-14 season

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
A lot of people are overreacting to the fact that were not doing anything. I'm happy were not overspending for someone like Leigh. I mean, we would have had to offer more than New England did which would be $6+ mil a year, and I don't think he's worth that. This is a very deep draft and I think that is way more important than the week free agency class. Remember the Packers went 6-10 in 2008 and did absolutely nothing in free agency and went on to make the playoffs last year and looked really good. The reason: the year before they just lost a lot of close games...sounds a lot like us huh? I'm not worried I doubt we miss the playoffs with the team we have.

we also won a lot of close games. what is your point?

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Signed Saints fan.

Saints went out and addressed weaknesses in FA, trades, and draft and improved their coaching.

Voila, Super Bowl.

without Vilma and Sharper and Shockey and the money it took to pay them the market value, the Saints are not Champions. But keep making excuses, par for the course round here.

I can't wait for next years excuses.....

ChampionTexan
03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

So the Texans FO and coaching shouldnt be worried about losing their jobs if they have a 5th straight non-playoff season? But I guess you are right. If we go another season under .500 or missing the playoffs McNair will just give Rick Smith and the coaches another contract extension! Keep the party going!

Oh, and PS. Ticket prices will go up again.

Asked and answered! :mcnugget:

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
asked and answered! :mcnugget:

qft. no sense of urgency and no commitment to winning.

just a commitment to the almighty dollar$.

False Start
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/bob_drayton-2.gif

Just kidding, I had a feeling all along that Bodden wasn't going to sign here. It was all about the money, thats just the nature of the business.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/bob_drayton-2.gif

Just kidding, I had a feeling all along that Bodden wasn't going to sign here. It was all about the money, thats just the nature of the business.

awesome GIF, dude.

False Start
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
awesome GIF, dude.

Thanks, it came to me in a dream last night, lol.

Texanmike02
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Saints went out and addressed weaknesses in FA, trades, and draft and improved their coaching.

Voila, Super Bowl.

without Vilma and Sharper and Shockey and the money it took to pay them the market value, the Saints are not Champions. But keep making excuses, par for the course round here.

OK. How would you address ANY free agents in this offseaon? I mean any? Is there a Vilma? Sharper? Shockey? Why don't we go give Bodden 10mil a year? Would you have been happier? Bodden AIN'T ALL THAT.

Mike

ChampionTexan
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
qft. no sense of urgency and no commitment to winning.

just a commitment to the almighty dollar$.

I was being sarcastic (sorry - thought it was obvious by virtue of the fact the answer in no way shape or form addressed the question).

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

Voila, Super Bowl.

Shockey was a trade. two seasons earlier.
Vilma was a 2008 FA
only Sharper was a 2009 FA.

Compare that to the Texans:
Pollard = 2009 FA
A. Smith = 2009 FA
S. Cody = 2009 FA
Reeves = 2008 FA
E. Wilson = 2008 FA

(that's 5 starters on defense in the past 12 1/2 months)... not to mention these draft picks last season: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain... that makes 9 heavy contributers on defense that have been added since last March.

... we are a few days into the 2010 calendar year. And, you are already on a rampage. Besides that, you are make a ridiculous comparison without any consideration for accuracy.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:47 PM
OK. How would you address ANY free agents in this offseaon? I mean any? Is there a Vilma? Sharper? Shockey? Why don't we go give Bodden 10mil a year? Would you have been happier? Bodden AIN'T ALL THAT.

Mike

please. do the math, please. Bodden was $10 million guaranteed, not 10million per....geez.

do we have to make up numbers now? i have a number. ZERO. as in number of playoff appearances.

thanks for trying

he got paid 1/2 of what Dunta got paid, so it wasn't an insane deal. but the patriots paid it so I guess it was a bad deal. they are infamous for overpaying, huh?

next

JWarren14
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Something I found

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/08/browns_insider_bodden_content.html)Leigh Bodden might not be on the field with the Detroit Lions' starting defense when the Browns visit Ford Field on Saturday.
The former Browns cornerback, who was included in the trade for Shaun Rogers on March 1, is listed as a backup on the Lions' depth chart. The starters are Brian Kelly and Travis Fisher, though Bodden has worked with the first team on occasion.

"I'm not complaining," Bodden said in a phone interview. "It's been a good camp. I've been picking up the defensive system. Guys are treating me good."

Management treated Bodden well, too. He signed a four-year contract extension last month for a reported $27 million. The deal includes an $8.6 million option bonus in March -- a possible bailout for the Lions if they don't like what they see.

Thus, Bodden knows he's on a one-year trial.

"But it can work in either's favor," he said. "It was the best-case scenario for me, something I could live with. I'm either going to get the big payday or be a free agent. Plus, it gave me $1 million more than I was supposed to make this year."

Bodden admitted that his parting from the Browns stemmed from his desire to seek a new contract. He had discussions with General Manager Phil Savage soon after the 2007 season ended.

"I stated my case that I felt I should be paid more than what I was getting," he said. "Phil said, 'Can you play one more year with it?' And I didn't think I could. From that conversation, I figured I'd be traded."

Bodden said he "would have loved to be a part" of a playoff season in Cleveland, where he played for five years. "But at the end of the day, it's a business. It was a good five years. I met a lot of great people. Not too many players stick around with one team forever."

He said while the Browns may have some issues in the defensive backfield, he believes Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald will acquit themselves well as starters.

"Those two young guys are really talented," Bodden said. "Definitely, they can handle it and make a lot of plays. They won't be hurting with those two guys."

Bodden said he would have fun playing live against his former offensive teammates. He's disappointed receiver Braylon Edwards (cut foot) won't be active for the game.

"There's a lot of talented guys over there," Bodden said. "They're definitely on the verge."

Link (http://www.nologoneeded.com/no_logo_needed/2008/08/leigh-bodden-ha.html)He's making $1 million more this year with the Lions than if he would have stayed in Cleveland. But he wanted to play for money instead of being apart of a winner with the Browns for another season.

Might give you an insight into the type of guy Leigh is, a little Duntaesque

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
ok its Smith's fault. McNair is willing to spend the $$ but Rick just won't let him.

and if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona you might like.
I think there is some truth to both. I think the whole "McNair won't spend money" idea has turned into the exact same arguement of "Kubiak won't pick RB or OL early in the draft" rumor.

I think McNair doesn't want to spend stupid money (ala Dunta Robinson contract) but I do think he gives Kubiak & Smith considerable leeway in running this team. People used to be so up in arms at how he let Casserly do whatever he pleased but now have teetered so far on the other side that he won't let Kubiak or Smith build this team with who they want? I believe McNair has hired people that he now trusts in running/building this team into a championship calibre organization and I doubt he's hampering them by not allowing them to get key players in this organization.

I think another side to the coin is the Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get comperable players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 04:52 PM
please. do the math, please. Bodden was $10 million guaranteed, not 10million per....geez.

do we have to make up numbers now? i have a number. ZERO. as in number of playoff appearances.

thanks for trying

he got paid 1/2 of what Dunta got paid, so it wasn't an insane deal. but the patriots paid it so I guess it was a bad deal. they are infamous for overpaying, huh?

next

Mike isn't saying that Bodden was signed for $10 million a year... he's asserting that it may have taken an irresponsible amount of money in order to get him in Houston.

ArlingtonTexan
03-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks, it came to me in a dream last night, lol.

My gosh, I can feel the cold sweat in DFW.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Shockey was a trade. two seasons earlier.
Vilma was a 2008 FA
only Sharper was a 2009 FA.

Compare that to the Texans:
Pollard = 2009 FA
A. Smith = 2009 FA
S. Cody = 2009 FA
Reeves = 2008 FA
E. Wilson = 2008 FA

(that's 5 starters on defense in the past 12 1/2 months)... not to mention these draft picks last season: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain... that makes 9 heavy contributers on defense that have been added since last March.

... we are a few days into the 2010 calendar year. And, you are already on a rampage. Besides that, you are make a ridiculous comparison without any consideration for accuracy.

its called a trend, DM. The Saints improved their team and they did it by spending money. Pollard was cheap. Cody was cheap. Wilson was cheap. Only Smith and Reeves got decent contracts whereas Vilma, Sharper, and Shockey all got paid good money.

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players. from your FA list only Pollard approached Pro Bowl level.

you get what you pay for....not like that is a news flash or anything.

Quin and McCain? if they were so good, why is DB an area of need? because we wanted to save money and McNair felt like 1/2 a billion wasn't enough return on his investment.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Something I found

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/08/browns_insider_bodden_content.html)

Link (http://www.nologoneeded.com/no_logo_needed/2008/08/leigh-bodden-ha.html)

Might give you an insight into the type of guy Leigh is, a little Duntaesque

so is that also Owen Daniels-esque? keep the same intensity come TC time when OD is MIA.

but he will get a pass. geez, we have people even clamoring for him to be re-signed after a major knee injury

different rules for different players..nothing new.

False Start
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
My gosh, I can feel the cold sweat in DFW.

Yeah, it was kind of scary...... :hide:

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I think there is some truth to both. I think the whole "McNair won't spend money" idea has turned into the exact same arguement of "Kubiak won't pick RB or OL early in the draft" rumor.

I think McNair doesn't want to spend stupid money (ala Dunta Robinson contract) but I do think he gives Kubiak & Smith considerable leeway in running this team. People used to be so up in arms at how he let Casserly do whatever he pleased but now have teetered so far on the other side that he won't let Kubiak or Smith build this team with who they want? I believe McNair has hired people that he now trusts in running/building this team into a championship calibre organization and I doubt he's hampering them by not allowing them to get key players in this organization.

I think another side to the coin is the Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get comperable players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

yeah that is the Rick Smith way and its been so fruitful so far...oh wait, nevermind.

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
its called a trend, DM. The Saints improved their team and they did it by spending money. Pollard was cheap. Cody was cheap. Wilson was cheap. Only Smith and Reeves got decent contracts whereas Vilma, Sharper, and Shockey all got paid good money.

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players. from your FA list only Pollard approached Pro Bowl level.

Quin and McCain? if they were so good, why is DB an area of need? because we wanted to save money and McNair felt like 1/2 a billion wasn't enough return on his investment.

Sharper was cheap. Look at Wilson's contract. He's getting paid decent money, so will Pollard... not to mention Demeco, OD. If I'm wrong, we'll lose them and I'll be right with you screaming about it and probably giving up my season tickets...

However: Matt Schaub, A. Johnson, Mario, Winston, K. Walter, Chester Pitts have all been given very healthy second contracts. Heck, part of the problem with the organization is the huge dollars it threw at people like: Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Gary Walker, Seth Payne.

JWarren14
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Vilma = DeMeco (needs a long-term deal) *2nd Round Pick
Sharper = Pollard (needs a long-term deal)
Shockey = OD (needs a long-term deal) *4th Round Pick

All 3 are legit starters and Pro Bowl players, we need to sign these guys too, not just a bunch of FAs. We also have a trend of drafting badass players.

Peter King said it best in MMQB "Free Agency is overrated"

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Sharper was cheap. Look at Wilson's contract. He's getting paid decent money, so will Pollard... not to mention Demeco, OD. If I'm wrong, we'll lose them and I'll be right with you screaming about it and probably giving up my season tickets...

However: Matt Schaub, A. Johnson, Mario, Winston, K. Walter, Chester Pitts have all been given very healthy second contracts. Heck, part of the problem with the organization is the huge dollars it threw at people like: Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Gary Walker, Seth Payne.

i get what you are saying, DM. we will keep DeMeco but I think we let OD walk.

yeah the previous regime overpaid but we were expansion team with Carr as a starter and no real upside. we had to pay the 'expansion premium'. maybe players still view us that way...i surely don't but my opinion means nothing to these guys.

I think Mario is still on his original deal fwiw. when its time to pay him, i may just let him walk. he is going to want much more than Peppers got and if the market 'bears' it (no pun intended) he is worth it.

hopefully they institute some rules where FA losses are more adequately rewarded with extra draft picks and maybe where a FA signing means you sacrifice a draft pick(s). That would make the league more like the good ole days when you really did build a team through the draft.

Holovak sure put some nice rosters together...too bad they didn't win the big ones.

Hervoyel
03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Antonio Smith
Eugene Wilson
Kevin Walter (RFA)
V. Leach
J. Reeves
in addition to Pollard

I realize that list isn't sexy. But, it's going to look pretty good if those are 5 of 22 starters who win 11-12 games and make a run in the playoffs. In addition to A. Smith, I think we were aggressive in getting Kevin Walter, J.Reeves... I'm not sure about the rest of the list.

See a Pro Bowler in there? How about a truly outstanding starter?

I don't and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As you pointed out these guys could be starters on a 11-12 win team and none of them are really big name free agents that individually change your team. The big splash free agent doesn't come here, has never come here, and probably will never be a feature of our off season. Those guys don't come here (except from time to time to use us as leverage ala Orlando Pace) and for good or ill we seem dedicated to the proposition of trying to find our own stars in the draft. We find our depth and our lunchpail guys in free agency. We sometimes try to fill a dire need there too.

So we didn't get Leigh Bodden. No big deal, we'll get by.

JWarren14
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM

100% Agree

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM

I think there is some truth to both.

I think another side to the coin is [that] Rick Smith doesn't want to overpay for players when he can get [compareable] players cheaper (or further down in the draft). That's the way he drafts, that's the way he goes about free agency. Smith doesn't want to go out and pay big bucks for free agents just to get them... just for a change in players. Sure his job is on the line if we don't win... but its just as much on the line if he pulls off Casserly type of signings and wastes $.

yeah that is the Rick Smith way and its been so fruitful so far...oh wait, nevermind.
Whether it's been fruitful so far or not is a whole different arguement.

I was trying explain that I think there's a lot of displaced anger directed at McNair for not wanting to spend his money when I think Rick Smith is actually more responsible for that.

Then you agree with me that this is the way Smith operates after trying to sell me some real estate... :nolisten:
I'm not interested in Arizona but if you've got beach front property in Colorado I'll listen!! :)

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM
100% Agree

We'll get by to the tune of 8-8,8-8,9-7

Oh joy

disaacks3
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM

I don't and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As you pointed out these guys could be starters on a 11-12 win team and none of them are really big name free agents that individually change your team. The big splash free agent doesn't come here, has never come here, and probably will never be a feature of our off season. Those guys don't come here (except from time to time to use us as leverage ala Orlando Pace) and for good or ill we seem dedicated to the proposition of trying to find our own stars in the draft. We find our depth and our lunchpail guys in free agency. We sometimes try to fill a dire need there too.

On paper, the Texans have a tougher schedule this upcoming season than they did in '09. Our secondary wasn't exactly stellar, and our "best" CB was coming off a major injury.

Fast-forward to 2010 - The Texans lose their only true starter at CB in FA. The Texans failed to replace him with the next highest rated CB. The announced $$ for said replacement was almost HALF what the departed CB got in HIS contract. The Texans have no other STARTER-quality CB on the roster. Where do they get one? In the crapshoot called the draft? The Texans had a chance to get a legit starter and failed in an uncapped year at position of DIRE need.

Was Leigh Bodden the "answer"? Maybe not, but the Texans are still completely WITHOUT a CB who would be starting anywhere else.

There were good RB prospects to be had as well, but the Texans haven't filled that need either.

Unless the Texans find ways to vastly improve the Secondary, RB and O-Line, then be prepared to see the Texans have a worse record than '09.

Remember, it DIDN'T have to be this way, but the Texans FO decided that standing pat (again) was the right thing to do.

GP
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Kraft 2
McNair 0

That little section is what stands out to me.

We didn't bring back Dunta. So who plays his spot? It looked as if Bodden was going to be that guy.

Bodden would have been cheaper than what the Falcons just paid Dunta. But I guess McNair or Smithiak, or both, decided that even HALF of Dunta's new contract was not a fair price for the guy who is replacing him.

We paid Dunta 10 mill for his final year here. Bodden is getting around 6 mill a year. We felt like paying Dunta 10 mill for his last year here, but didn't bring him back.

I keep trying to wrap my head around the mathematical reasoning skills of the Texans as it relates to the two CBs who were potentially slotted to make our team as the starter at one of the CB positions.

Maybe if we had paid him $7 mill-per-season he dumps the Pats for us?

All I can do is sit here and wonder how this team is going to be playoff-contending in 2010. This seemed like a good way to spend less than we spent on Dunta, and lock down that position.

I've gone from being pissed off at this team to just seriously laughing at the methodology that's being displayed.

(sigh) Like sands through the hourglass....so are the days...of our lives...

Texecutioner
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
On paper, the Texans have a tougher schedule this upcoming season than they did in '09. Our secondary wasn't exactly stellar, and our "best" CB was coming off a major injury.

Fast-forward to 2010 - The Texans lose their only true starter at CB in FA. The Texans failed to replace him with the next highest rated CB. The announced $$ for said replacement was almost HALF what the departed CB got in HIS contract. The Texans have no other STARTER-quality CB on the roster. Where do they get one? In the crapshoot called the draft? The Texans had a chance to get a legit starter and failed in an uncapped year at position of DIRE need.

Was Leigh Bodden the "answer"? Maybe not, but the Texans are still completely WITHOUT a CB who would be starting anywhere else.

There were good RB prospects to be had as well, but the Texans haven't filled that need either.

Unless the Texans find ways to vastly improve the Secondary, RB and O-Line, then be prepared to see the Texans have a worse record than '09.

Remember, it DIDN'T have to be this way, but the Texans FO decided that standing pat (again) was the right thing to do.

Yep, this pretty much explains it. The Chiefs just got Thomas Jones on the cheap as well. That would have been a really sweet deal for the Texans, but NOPE. We are anti free agency and this team is cheap. It is what it is, and I don't see how these holes will be filled on this team going into next season honestly. LIke you said, the schedule will be much tougher this year as well. You can't expect to win anything or to be a consistent winner in this league by strictly building through the draft. That doesn't cut it. I was ticked as hell last off season when we didn't even as much give a sniff to Sharper or Dawkins when we had a chance. This off season I just expected us to do nothing.

TO be honest, I've never been all that high on Bodden. He's a pretty good player, but like you say, we NEED A CB. Our secondary was terrible last season other than Pollard, and now our CB situation looks worse than last season. I don't think we really had a choice but to get Bodden honestly. This team needs a good veteran in there and quality depth as well. We don't have that great of a pass rush, so I just don't understand how they think that this secondary is going to survive. Even if we get a pretty good player in the first and second round for the secondary, they're still going to be really really young. This team needs some quality vets in there.

Carr Bombed
03-09-2010, 06:26 PM

:rolleyes: can we please let the offseason unfold before we all schedule a jump date off the Fred Hartman bridge. Last year we didn't have a strong safety either....fast forward and we filled that need, there's still plenty of ways to fill needs on this team that doesn't require OVER SPENDING FOR SUB PAR TALENT! Teams are going to cut players, there will be a whole other slue of FAs to pick from. I'm LOLing at all these people crying their eyes out right now, they've been doing it since the FA period was only a couple of hours old.

And can we please stop saying "the crapshoot called the draft" while acting like FA isn't a crapshoot in itself. Something tells me Atlanta is going to be highly disappointed with their 60 million dollar man.

We're talking about Leigh freaking Bodden here.....not Nnamdi Asomugha. I don't know if anyone has noticed or not, but the Pats weren't hot shit vs the pass. They gave up only 8 yards per game less than we did while also giving up 25 freaking passing TDs....which is alot more than what we did.

The year before that, Bodden was a key starter for the Lions......what the hell did they do. They went 0-16 and had one of the worst defenses/pass defenses in the entire league. This guy doesn't elevate a defense. He's just another decent starter....they will be plenty of opportunities to acquire other decent starters, but lets all cry about the one who got away.

I don't agree with Jerome Soloman very often, but he had a article in the paper today that was pretty spot on regarding this topic. It basically said "quit bitching" Leigh Bodden is not a player to cry over and there will be plenty of opportunities to fill that hole from now until next season.

Honestly I'd rather spend that FA cash on resigning some of our own players, players that are better than Leigh Bodden and better than most players available in this FA class.

GP
03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Yep, this pretty much explains it. The Chiefs just got Thomas Jones on the cheap as well. That would have been a really sweet deal for the Texans, but NOPE. We are anti free agency and this team is cheap. It is what it is, and I don't see how these holes will be filled on this team going into next season honestly. LIke you said, the schedule will be much tougher this year as well. You can't expect to win anything or to be a consistent winner in this league by strictly building through the draft. That doesn't cut it. I was ticked as hell last off season when we didn't even as much give a sniff to Sharper or Dawkins when we had a chance. This off season I just expected us to do nothing.

TO be honest, I've never been all that high on Bodden. He's a pretty good player, but like you say, we NEED A CB. Our secondary was terrible last season other than Pollard, and now our CB situation looks worse than last season. I don't think we really had a choice but to get Bodden honestly. This team needs a good veteran in there and quality depth as well. We don't have that great of a pass rush, so I just don't understand how they think that this secondary is going to survive. Even if we get a pretty good player in the first and second round for the secondary, they're still going to be really really young. This team needs some quality vets in there.

Doesn't even appear that we tried to get Jones, nor are on Fargas' list.

So we are left to assume that the only possible way we address RB is to draft one (we know how early, err..ummm...late we draft 'em), or grab an UDFA, or wait and vulture someone else's training camp cut(s).

I could have been OK with losing one for the other, but we got neither. In fact, we're not interested in any of the free agent RBs that are out there. We targeted Bodden, and couldn't seal the deal.

Same thing with Cedric Benson. Couldn't seal the deal.

There's been some weak sauce from McNair and Kubiak since they grabbed Schaub and then subsequently bombed out on the Ahman Green experiment. Antonio Smith is their only recent free agency claim-to-fame, and it's not like he's exactly destroying other teams' offensive lines and/or QBs. I don't count Pollard as a true success story for Smithiak. Had it not been for David Gibbs, we don't even give Pollard a sniff IMO. That acquisition is on David Gibbs' score sheet.

I think this owner, and its front office, and its head coach are scared to make moves. Timidity and caution are ruling this team's psyche. And it filters down to the field, IMO. Nobody wants to see us go really crazy like Daniel Snyder does. But we're almost the polar opposite of it.

This feels like the two guys in the movie Office Space, who come in and interview people, trying to figure out who to terminate. They are the two ass hats who need to be terminated, but there they are: Acting like they are the casting directors for a Broadway musical. Yucking it up, high-fiving each other, and then suddenly turning serious when they ask someone a question that's just absurd.

This team and it's methods are killing me. It's obvious that there IS a level or a tier system of free agents. You had the higher-profile guys getting deals first (Peppers, Boldin, Chester Taylor, etc.) As time goes by, the group gets weaker. It's the nature of the beast.

And therefore we'll be targeting what I consider to be the lesser-talented of the free agents. Because that's in the financial wheelhouse of this team's style.

Carr Bombed
03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Doesn't even appear that we tried to get Jones, nor are on Fargas' list.

So we are left to assume that the only possible way we address RB is to draft one (we know how early, err..ummm...late we draft 'em), or grab an UDFA, or wait and vulture someone else's training camp cut(s).

I could have been OK with losing one for the other, but we got neither. In fact, we're not interested in any of the free agent RBs that are out there. We targeted Bodden, and couldn't seal the deal.

Same thing with Cedric Benson. Couldn't seal the deal.

There's been some weak sauce from McNair and Kubiak since they grabbed Schaub and then subsequently bombed out on the Ahman Green experiment. Antonio Smith is their only recent free agency claim-to-fame, and it's not like he's exactly destroying other teams' offensive lines and/or QBs. I don't count Pollard as a true success story for Smithiak. Had it not been for David Gibbs, we don't even give Pollard a sniff IMO. That acquisition is on David Gibbs' score sheet.

I think this owner, and its front office, and its head coach are scared to make moves. Timidity and caution are ruling this team's psyche. And it filters down to the field, IMO. Nobody wants to see us go really crazy like Daniel Snyder does. But we're almost the polar opposite of it.

This feels like the two guys in the movie Office Space, who come in and interview people, trying to figure out who to terminate. They are the two ass hats who need to be terminated, but there they are: Acting like they are the casting directors for a Broadway musical. Yucking it up, high-fiving each other, and then suddenly turning serious when they ask someone a question that's just absurd.

This team and it's methods are killing me. It's obvious that there IS a level or a tier system of free agents. You had the higher-profile guys getting deals first (Peppers, Boldin, Chester Taylor, etc.) As time goes by, the group gets weaker. It's the nature of the beast.

And therefore we'll be targeting what I consider to be the lesser-talented of the free agents. Because that's in the financial wheelhouse of this team's style.

I'm not going to lie, the inability to even bring in some RBs does have me pretty heated. Losing Bodden though.....does not. We should've been all over some of these RBs though. It's almost like we're letting our past failures dictate what we do in the present. We're becoming gun shy in the RB department.

JCTexan
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Rotoworld has Bodden signing a 4 year 22 mil deal with NE.

Bodden's new deal with the Patriots is for four years at $22 million with $10 million guaranteed, according to the Boston Herald and ESPN's Adam Schefter.
On the surface, Bodden's deal identical to the one signed by Jabari Greer last season, with the same guaranteed money and four-year total. The Pats succeeded in securing the second-best corner on the market. They've spent big this offseason to retain their own veterans, though they've yet to make improvements to the roster
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2614

Texanmike02
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Mike isn't saying that Bodden was signed for $10 million a year... he's asserting that it may have taken an irresponsible amount of money in order to get him in Houston.

You sir are an idio--- wait wait wait... you didn't read the WHOLE sentence did you? You didn't take that in context did you? How sneaky..

You are correct sir. Well done.

Mike

stingray
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not going to lie, the inability to even bring in some RBs does have me pretty heated. Losing Bodden though.....does not. We should've been all over some of these RBs though. It's almost like we're letting our past failures dictate what we do in the present. We're becoming gun shy in the RB department.

I have a feeling that we are gonna end up with Ryan matthews, Dwyer or Gerhart in the draft. That is why I don't think they are signing any RB's.

TexCanada
03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Personally I'm not worried about the lack of FA signings. In all of pro sports these days the players seem to be contributing at a younger age, only a year or two out of the draft. Drafting is the key to building winning franchises, not signing FAs. It would have been great to see Bodden in a Texans uni but those odds were stacked against us the whole time.

People whined and complained that all they wanted was for the Texans to at least TRY to sign some guys, now they have tried and people continue to whine. I would way rather put more of our resources into scouting college players and trying to find steals in the draft then over-spending on free agents. Just my opinion.

Texan_Bill
03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
That's it!!! This super-duper, uber, anti Cowgurls fan is converting to becoming a Cowgurls....
errrrrrrr Cowboys fan. :hides:

Yeah right.... :gun:

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Personally I'm not worried about the lack of FA signings. In all of pro sports these days the players seem to be contributing at a younger age, only a year or two out of the draft. Drafting is the key to building winning franchises, not signing FAs. It would have been great to see Bodden in a Texans uni but those odds were stacked against us the whole time.

People whined and complained that all they wanted was for the Texans to at least TRY to sign some guys, now they have tried and people continue to whine. I would way rather put more of our resources into scouting college players and trying to find steals in the draft then over-spending on free agents. Just my opinion.

This is what they've been doing for the last 4 yrs.

The results so far have been 6-10,8-8,8-8,9-7. I would say a new approach should be in order.

Casserly screwed up so badly McNair is gun shy. IMHO

TexCanada
03-09-2010, 09:15 PM
This is what they've been doing for the last 4 yrs.

The results so far have been 6-10,8-8,8-8,9-7. I would say a new approach should be in order.

Casserly screwed up so badly McNair is gun shy. IMHO

This strategy takes a long time to develop, but you can see that improvements have been made with the record. Mucho patience is required.

steelbtexan
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
This strategy takes a long time to develop, but you can see that improvements have been made with the record. Mucho patience is required.

The Texans are currently working on their 10 yr plan.

In 2020 the Texans are going to have a kick butt team.

dalemurphy
03-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Herv,

I think Pollard had a probowl season. I think Kevin Walter is a very good #2 WR. I also think that Antonio Smith was very, very good last year. We don't go after the big name guys that demand premium dollars. I don't think we go after those guys for good reasons. You are right that we don't have the Patriot advantage of getting discounts on veterans trying to grab a Championship or repair their image. But, that just puts us even with about 29 other franchises.

We could outbid for some of these guys... like we did for Antonio Smith. I just think we haven't been in a position to until last year. This year I think they simply don't like the pool of FAs. I'm sure you'll see a major FA splash in 2011 or 2012. Personally, I'd rather see them continue to draft well and get these guys from the 2006 draft extended!

Kaiser Toro
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
This thread reminds me of the fight scene at the end of Blazing Saddles.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/blazingsad.jpg

We shall deem all threads that gain momentum and spill into another forum as a Blazing Saddle.

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
That little section is what stands out to me.

We didn't bring back Dunta. So who plays his spot? It looked as if Bodden was going to be that guy.

Bodden would have been cheaper than what the Falcons just paid Dunta. But I guess McNair or Smithiak, or both, decided that even HALF of Dunta's new contract was not a fair price for the guy who is replacing him.

We paid Dunta 10 mill for his final year here. Bodden is getting around 6 mill a year. We felt like paying Dunta 10 mill for his last year here, but didn't bring him back.

I keep trying to wrap my head around the mathematical reasoning skills of the Texans as it relates to the two CBs who were potentially slotted to make our team as the starter at one of the CB positions.

Maybe if we had paid him $7 mill-per-season he dumps the Pats for us?

All I can do is sit here and wonder how this team is going to be playoff-contending in 2010. This seemed like a good way to spend less than we spent on Dunta, and lock down that position.

I've gone from being pissed off at this team to just seriously laughing at the methodology that's being displayed.

(sigh) Like sands through the hourglass....so are the days...of our lives...
What this says to me is that we didn't want to pay Dunta that money for what he would bring to the table for us. And as to Bodden, it tells me that maybe they weren't 100% sure he was going to be a #1 CB for us. Maybe they thought he didn't offer us any more than Reeves and Quin do... so why pay that much more for him? Not saying this is what happened but just a thought at least.

I'm in the camp that wanted Bodden here to fill that hole. I have absolutely no insight into whether he would even be that good for us or how good... or where he would go on the depth chart. I would assume he would be a starter and that's why I was hoping for him.

Second Honeymoon
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Herv,

I think Pollard had a probowl season. I think Kevin Walter is a very good #2 WR. I also think that Antonio Smith was very, very good last year. We don't go after the big name guys that demand premium dollars. I don't think we go after those guys for good reasons. You are right that we don't have the Patriot advantage of getting discounts on veterans trying to grab a Championship or repair their image. But, that just puts us even with about 29 other franchises.

We could outbid for some of these guys... like we did for Antonio Smith. I just think we haven't been in a position to until last year. This year I think they simply don't like the pool of FAs. I'm sure you'll see a major FA splash in 2011 or 2012. Personally, I'd rather see them continue to draft well and get these guys from the 2006 draft extended!

Smith was very very good last year? Really? 34 tackles and 4.5 sacks is very very good?

if that is good, i just don't know what to tell you. but very very good? really?

Smith is a JAG. Just Another Guy. He happened to play well at the right time and got rewarded by a team desperate for DE help. He did enough to not make him a total bust, but he played far from good.

Speaking of busts, one word. Okoye.

stingray
03-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Smith was very very good last year? Really? 34 tackles and 4.5 sacks is very very good?

if that is good, i just don't know what to tell you. but very very good? really?

Smith is a JAG. Just Another Guy. He happened to play well at the right time and got rewarded by a team desperate for DE help. He did enough to not make him a total bust, but he played far from good.

You obviously did not pay attention to the Dline play when you watched the games. I have re-watched a total of eight games from the previous season so far in the offseason and Antonio Smith was not just another guy. No, he wasn't Reggie White, but the dude did put alot pressure on QB's throughout the season. There were countless hurries by Qb's because Antonio was coming. He only got 4.5 sacks but that didn't tell the whole story. Mario, Antonio, and Cushing were the only consistent players that made the QB squirm a little. I guess in your book, if the DE doesn't have double digit sacks at the end of the year, he is JAG.

dalemurphy
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM

1. I agree on Okoye. Frankly, I would've liked to see him benched for Deljuan... maybe even cut last year.

2. A. Smith was our best DLman from October on last year. He beat the heck out of the QB. I thought he played very well. Stats on the DL don't always translate. Look at some of the seasons D.Freeney has had. He's certainly had the big sack seasons, but he's had a couple 5 sack seasons as well... even when healthy, and, he doesn't make many tackles in the run game.

For instance: D. Freeney- 2006 16games , 5.5 sacks, 29 total tackles... followed by an injury-riddled 2007 season: 9games, 3.5 sacks.

TexCanada
03-10-2010, 12:36 AM
1. I agree on Okoye. Frankly, I would've liked to see him benched for Deljuan... maybe even cut last year.

2. A. Smith was our best DLman from October on last year. He beat the heck out of the QB. I thought he played very well. Stats on the DL don't always translate. Look at some of the seasons D.Freeney has had. He's certainly had the big sack seasons, but he's had a couple 5 sack seasons as well... even when healthy, and, he doesn't make many tackles in the run game.

For instance: D. Freeney- 2006 16games , 5.5 sacks, 29 total tackles... followed by an injury-riddled 2007 season: 9games, 3.5 sacks.

I think it would be a terrible move to give up on Okoye. He is still very young in a position that generally takes a long time to develop into a real force. Obviously his learning curve is slower than we would have liked, and maybe he won't become the player that we hope, but I still think it would a bad move not to try and let him develop.

Texecutioner
03-10-2010, 01:13 AM
I think it would be a terrible move to give up on Okoye. He is still very young in a position that generally takes a long time to develop into a real force. Obviously his learning curve is slower than we would have liked, and maybe he won't become the player that we hope, but I still think it would a bad move not to try and let him develop.

It doesn't take that many years to develop at DT. I mean, sure there has been a guy like Haynesworth that popped up as a beast years into his career and all, but it's not like year 4 is the golden year for when DT's show what they have. Okoye is what he is. He's a failed draft pick and hopefully we can find someone else that can start over him next season.

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Agree on both parts. Okoye is a zero. Smith played great I thought. He is disruptive and tough. Needs to be 1/2 step quicker though. We were very close to way too many sacks last year.