PDA

View Full Version : Texans Re-sign Kevin Walter

Nawzer
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
According to John McClain via Sportsradio 610, the Texans have re-signed WR Kevin Walter. Details to come...Good way to start off the free agency period. I don't have links yet, but will post them as soon as they're available.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html

GP
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Fears should be calmed. I like the idea of retaining our WR squad like this.

This solidifies the group, bringing back all those guys Schaub is familiar with.

Dutchrudder
03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
FINALLY! Let's hope they got him for at least 4 years! :D

:doot:

Nawzer
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Fears should be calmed. I like the idea of retaining our WR squad like this.

This solidifies the group, bringing back all those guys Schaub is familiar with.

Yeah I know. The way some people here are acting, you would've thought the Texans were not going to sign another NFL player ever again.

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Thank God. I don't even care what the numbers are, he's gonna always bring it.

ATXtexanfan
03-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Thank you cardinals organization for getting this done

dc_txtech
Thank God. I don't even care what the numbers are, he's gonna always bring it.

I'd prefer not to have our pants pulled down over the price.

Tailgate
he Texans have reached an agreement on a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract with free agent receiver Kevin Walter.

Walter, who became an unrestricted free agent today, was pursued by the Baltimore Ravens but elected to return to the Texans and will continue to start opposite of Andre Johnson.

Walter, 28, had 53 catches for 611 yards and two touchdowns last season when a hamstring caused him to get off to a slow start.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html

Ryan
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Let's get long term deals done with OD and Demeco now. And Pollard as well.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Good news. Good news indeed.

GP
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
McClain says...

The Texans have reached an agreement on a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract with free agent receiver Kevin Walter.

LOL. Wow, I would never have figured that his new deal would be a "multi-million dollar" deal.

I was thinking "multi-thousand dollar."

I mean, why even put "multi-million dollar deal?" Duh. Just say "signed a deal, and terms were not disclosed at press time."

SouthSideTexan
03-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Let's get long term deals done with OD and Demeco now. And Pollard as well.

Agreed....We need to take care of Demeco ASAP. 59 and 56 are the heart of our defense.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
McClain says...

LOL. Wow, I would never have figured that his new deal would be a "multi-million dollar" deal.

I was thinking "multi-thousand dollar."

I mean, why even put "multi-million dollar deal?" Duh. Just say "signed a deal, and terms were not disclosed at press time."

Apparently the Ravens were going to offer him $5 mil for his first year if he were to sign, but the trade with Arizona went through and they got Boldin instead. I'd be willing to bet that Walter will be making around $2 mil a year as a Texan.

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Apparently the Ravens were going to offer him $5 mil for his first year if he were to sign, but the trade with Arizona went through and they got Boldin instead. I'd be willing to bet that Walter will be making around $2 mil a year as a Texan.

Its gotta be more than Burleson's deal though right?

Thorn
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Our 1st down pass catcher is back in the fold.

Tailgate
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Florio got this one right. (Insert snide comment here.)

Less than an hour after the boss man said Kevin Walter should end up back in Houston after the receiver struck out with the Ravens, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports Walter has agreed to a multi-year contract to stay with Houston.

Terms aren't available, but he was expected to get a contract similar to the one Nate Burleson did with the Lions.

In other words, the Texans got a nice value. Detroit didn't.

Walter will team with Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, and tight end Owen Daniels to form one of the better pass-catching crews in the league once again.

The next logical names to get attention on the free agent market at wide receiver include Terrell Owens and Derrick Mason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/kevin-walter-stays-with-texans/

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM

I would guess in the same neighbrhood, about the same level of player.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Sorry I should have said at least $2 mil a year. I think he will get a similar deal to that of Burleson.

Dutchrudder
03-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Ah, I don't think they are that cheap! It's probably in the neighborhood of 4-6 million a year average over the next 4 years, with a bunch front-loaded into a signing bonus so it doesn't effect 2011 and beyond capspace! That would be the smart thing to do!

Errant Hothy
03-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I would guess in the same neighbrhood, about the same level of player.

I might rate Walter a tad better then Nate, but that might just be me.

On a side note, where are all the people who were bitching about McNair not an hour ago?

Dutchrudder
03-05-2010, 07:59 PM

On a side note, where are all the people who were bitching about McNair not an hour ago?

Sending in their PSL checks? :D

b0ng
03-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Burleson is ALWAYS hurt so yeah, he's probably a tad better.

Joe Texan
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
This thread will scare off some SH posters

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Burleson is ALWAYS hurt so yeah, he's probably a tad better.

Best seasons are close stat wise, but this is probably the ultimate difference.

TheDrifter
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
This is my favorite free agency news of the day.

And maybe of the last year. :splits:

dc_txtech
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Best seasons are close stat wise, but this is probably the ultimate difference.

Walter is also a beast in the blocking game. Burleson, not so much.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Walter will team with Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, and tight end Owen Daniels to form one of the better pass-catching crews in the league once again.

You just have to like this, you really do.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
You just have to like this, you really do.

Yep. Don't forget about one of the top, and most underrated, QB's in the league either.

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
KFFL) Updating a previous item, Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports Houston Texans WR Kevin Walter agreed to a five-year contract worth more than $21 million, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 08:13 PM
According to Rotoworld.com

Texans re-signed WR Kevin Walter to a five-year, $21 million contract.

"And the Jacoby Jones hype train comes to a screeching halt. Though he was dealing with a hamstring injury, Walter managed just 53 grabs for 611 yards (11.5 YPC) and two scores last year as mostly a third or fourth offensive option. We wouldn't expect too much more out of him in 2010. Jones could begin to rotate in, Owen Daniels will return, and the Texans are likely to be at least slightly less pass heavy after drafting a competent tailback in April."

dc_txtech
03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
KFFL) Updating a previous item, Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports Houston Texans WR Kevin Walter agreed to a five-year contract worth more than $21 million, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation

If that's correct, then I think we got a pretty good deal.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Good news. Good news indeed.

Get back to your drunk thread!!

I'll be joining you shortly.

valleytexfan
03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
fantastic news...:kingkong:

TheRealJoker
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Great news!!! This is probably the best signing we could've made on the free agent market today :)

I wonder if we'll draft a speedster in the late rounds to take over return duties and Andre Davis' spot on the roster if they decide not to pay out the rest of his contract or to groom him until AD's contract is up.

texansdrummer
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Excellent news!!!

Hardcore Texan
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Good news for sure, it looks like a good deal to me, good value.

Joe Texan
03-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Where you going

Get back to your drunk thread!!

I'll be joining you shortly.

False Start
03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Good news! :jam:

Losing K Dub, would have really hurt this offense IMO.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Where you going

The drunk thread of course not one of "those" establishments.

Hoss
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
This is really good news...

Hervoyel
03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Nice way to get started in free agency. Didn't break the bank, didn't cheat the player either.

Ckw
03-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Getting drunk on margaritas at the local Mexican restaurant.

Good news though. I am responding in jest as I personally have not bitched about McNair. If I was/am frustrated with anybody, it is Rick Smith.

barrett
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

wait, let me think this through....

WOOFUcCKINHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go Texans.

I LOVE Kubiak's quote and Walter's as well. I'm guessing this is one of their main bargaining chips.... "we're a special organization doing things the right way. we may not pay top dollar but we offer intangibles that other teams can't touch." once the Texans build a winner here (which it's well known that I think we are close as can be), this will be one of the most desirable places to play in the NFL.

I've never been such a big Boldin fan as I am right now!!!!

mussop
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Im not really sure why but I was hoping that he wouldnt be back. I guess I really want to see if JJ can take the next step. I want a WR that is more than just a hard worker opposite AJ for once. I want an actual weapon there.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Im not really sure why but I was hoping that he wouldnt be back. I guess I really want to see if JJ can take the next step. I want a WR that is more than just a hard worker opposite AJ for once. I want an actual weapon there.

While I don't share your sentiment about Kevins Walter, I do think you will see JJ worked in more on offense, providing he shows a growth in maturity. JMHO, though.

NitroGSXR
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
While I don't share your sentiment about Kevins Walter, I do think you will see JJ worked in more on offense, providing he shows a growth in maturity. JMHO, though.

I bet we trade Jacoby Jones before the season if not on draft day.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Ya think? Really?? That's really interesting Nitro. If you don't mind, please expound on that.

You crazy sumbitch.... Can't wait to see you this season.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Drunk Tron says, this is a good thig. Meanwhile, the beer is not gettng any colder.

I could perhpas be repeating myself here, but so what? good nerws is good news.

NitroGSXR
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Ya think? Really?? That's really interesting Nitro. If you don't mind, please expound on that.

You crazy sumbitch.... Can't wait to see you this season.

Nothing to expound on. I'm just a mere fan who wants to play the guessing game.

I can't wait to see you next season as well! I'll be bringing my custom-made paddle.

:fans:

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Nothing to expound on. I'm just a mere fan who wants to play the guessing game.

I can't wait to see you next season as well! I'll be bringing my custom-made paddle.

:fans:

Right on my brother!!

Gotta wait 'fore I can rep ya again.

mussop
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
For 3 million more dollars and a 3rd round pick this year, a fourth next, we could of had A Boulden for the next 3 years.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
For 3 million more dollars and a 3rd round pick this year, a fourth next, we could of had A Boulden for next 3 years.

And? That's kinda hefty for someone who wants to be a #1 receiver only to play second fiddle to AJ.

TheRealJoker
03-05-2010, 11:55 PM
JJ can still get the starting spot, he's just gonna have to beat out KW to get it. Competition makes the team better, if JJ can't beat out KW why would you want him starting ahead of KW?

beerlover
03-06-2010, 12:00 AM
And? That's kinda hefty for someone who wants to be a #1 receiver only to play second fiddle to AJ.

when you think Ravens what comes to mind? toughness, that is why Anquan Bolden is a perfect fit for them, not to mention they lack playmaker @ WR position.

when you think of Texans what comes to mind? finesse, fits here perfectly.

ChampionTexan
03-06-2010, 12:02 AM

And has missed at least one game due to injury in 4 of the last 5 years.

redwhiteANDblue
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM

WHY!? That would be a horrible move

Texan_Bill
03-06-2010, 12:46 AM
when you think Ravens what comes to mind? toughness, that is why Anquan Bolden is a perfect fit for them, not to mention they lack playmaker @ WR position.

when you think of Texans what comes to mind? finesse, fits here perfectly.
What do I think of when I think of the Ravens? I think of Ray Lewis. I think of Jamie Sharper, and a QB named Trent Dilfer. Not all that much since, although they are up and coming.

When I think of the Texans, I think of a prolific offense and pieces to make a really good defense. A defense that features, 'Meco, Mario, Pollard, Smith and Cush.... A few more parts needed? Yes...

b0ng
03-06-2010, 12:46 AM
For 3 million more dollars and a 3rd round pick this year, a fourth next, we could of had A Boulden for the next 3 years.

We weren't even on Boldin's radar. We were exactly the team he was not looking to go to (being in the shadow of AJ3000). Not every team had a shot and Boldin and this is not a case of the Texans just saying "nah not worth it".

Texan_Bill
03-06-2010, 12:48 AM
And has missed at least one game due to injury in 4 of the last 5 years.

If you're talking about Boldin................ YUP!

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 12:58 AM
We weren't even on Boldin's radar. We were exactly the team he was not looking to go to (being in the shadow of AJ3000). Not every team had a shot and Boldin and this is not a case of the Texans just saying "nah not worth it".

Exactly... why do people think Boldin wanted out of AZ? Do they really think he wants to go to one of the few places he'd still be # 2?

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 01:39 AM
What do I think of when I think of the Ravens? I think of Ray Lewis. I think of Jamie Sharper, and a QB named Trent Dilfer. Not all that much since, although they are up and coming.

When I think of the Texans, I think of a prolific offense and pieces to make a really good defense. A defense that features, 'Meco, Mario, Pollard, Smith and Cush.... A few more parts needed? Yes...

When it comes to the Ravens I think about them kicking our A** every time they play us.

Maybe 2010 will be different

I would've let Walter go and used those $ to sign C.Taylor. That's just me though.

Texan_Bill
03-06-2010, 02:05 AM
When it comes to the Ravens I think about them kicking our A** every time they play us.

I would've let Walter go and used those $ to sign C.Taylor. That's just me though.

Oh hellz no...... If Kevins Walter would've gotten away, y'all "McNair is a cheapskate" mofos would've had a field day...

BTW, we've tried the Chester Taylor deal............. It was called Ahman Green or Stacey Mack experiment.

barrett
03-06-2010, 04:37 AM

and that's why you're a guy commenting on a message board and not a GM running a football team.

The value of a guy like Walter at the price we ended up paying is much better than giving up picks for Boldin. Easily this is the best case scenario. Kubiak put it best when he said you can't have enough "KevinsWalter's on your team". He fit's so perfectly into what we're trying to do.

It's a coup big time. They took a risk in letting him test the market and when he got snubbed he came home where he belongs. I'm lovin' it.

euro-Texan
03-06-2010, 04:38 AM

I am VERY glad you are not in our front office. This morning when sirius radio reported the Jags were interested in KW my heart sunk. Our receiver corps is good and there is no reason to screw that up.

barrett
03-06-2010, 04:41 AM
This F.O. is not going to shell out cash for guys past their prime, period. We're going to keep guys that are part of what we're doing if the price is right. If not, they'll be allowed to walk. The organization has quite a bit of confidence in their ability to find talent at a good price.

We're a hell of a lot better than half of the organizations in the NFL when it comes to that. Once we lock up #59 you'll alll agree.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Oh hellz no...... If Kevins Walter would've gotten away, y'all "McNair is a cheapskate" mofos would've had a field day...

BTW, we've tried the Chester Taylor deal............. It was called Ahman Green or Stacey Mack experiment.

Uh no I already stated that I would let Kevins Walter go if that meant signing Taylor.

Taylor is much different than Green or Mack.

Taylor has been a no.1 RB that has few carries due to AP. Taylor hasn't been injury prone. Green had been injury prone before he got here. You know the differences between the two and are just trying to be contrary.

Taylor would have been the best RB in Texans history. You cant say the same about KW and the WR's.

The Bears agrred with me they signed Taylor quickly in FA because they understood his value and they did this in addition to signing Peppers.

They did this signing with Forte already on the roster. This tells me they're sreious about winning.

The Bears RB's Forte,Taylor and Wolfe:

The Texans RB's Broken down Slaton,Foster and Moats

Surely you can see the difference.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I I am VERY glad you are not in our front office. This morning when sirius radio reported the Jags were interested in KW my heart sunk. Our receiver corps is good and there is no reason to screw that up.

You value and Smithiak value Walter more than I do. While Walter is a solid no.2 WR he's nothing special.

You could have used KW and Dunta's money to sign a major FA. Then drafted a Shipley type WR to complete the WR corps in the 3/4 rd.

I will give the Texans credit they did take care of their own. Why does the thought of having to face Walter with the Jags twice a year make your heart sink?

God knows what happened to your heart when Aaron Glenn got cut. I look at players as assets and liabilities. You look at players as people and whether there good guys or not. This has been going on in this FO for a while now. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Look I like our guys as much as the next guy but so far our guys haven't been good enough to make the playoffs. Some changes need to be made on the roster besides just the draft.

The FO needs to fill 5 holes IMHO (RB,OG,DT,CB,S) Whether they fill them in FA,Trading future draft picks and the draft doesn't matter. As long as the needs get filled.

To be the 6th most profitable franchise and not use FA as a tool to truly improve the team is assanine. IMHO

The Texans are close to being a team this cities fans can be proud of. They just need a little help from McNair and they're not getting it. IMHO This is what makes this organization so frustrating. Kinda like with Bud.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
This F.O. is not going to shell out cash for guys past their prime, period. We're going to keep guys that are part of what we're doing if the price is right. If not, they'll be allowed to walk. The organization has quite a bit of confidence in their ability to find talent at a good price.

We're a hell of a lot better than half of the organizations in the NFL when it comes to that. Once we lock up #59 you'll alll agree.

Peppers/Taylor are past his prime?

The Bears apparently disagree with you.

Errant Hothy
03-06-2010, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't want to agree with the current Bear's FO.

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I am good with this signing, gives us continuity in our passing attack and KW has always been an able and willing blocker.

With WR2 in the fold at 4m per year, OD's contract will be in the 7m per year range if he comes back to his former level. I would like to spend the money on the OL rather than on OD. A healthy Schaub and a running game should be the focus, and OD plays a limited role in making those two things happen IMO.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I am good with this signing, gives us continuity in our passing attack and KW has always been an able and willing blocker.

With WR2 in the fold at 4m per year, OD's contract will be in the 7m per year range if he comes back to his former level. I would like to spend the money on the OL rather than on OD. A healthy Schaub and a running game should be the focus, and OD plays a limited role in making those two things happen IMO.

I agree with you on the Kevis Walter signing.

I'm with you OD's $ could be better spent elsewhere. If they re-sign OD I'm OK with that too.

What I dont want to see is the FO letting OD walk and the owner saying he used that $ to re-sign MW and Ryans. I want McNair to use OD's $ to upgrade the team and re-sign MW and Ryans.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Taylor would have been the best RB in Texans history.

No DD would have remained the best RB in Texans' history. Running behind much superior offensive lines he barely matched DD's performance behind a dollar store OL. Let's not make Chester Taylor into some kind of superman until he proves it at 31 years old

And they're wrong. They'll get a couple good years out of each and then eat a lot of dead money. One fool's actions don't prove the remainder of the gene pool's actions foolish.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
No DD would have remained the best RB in Texans' history. Running behind much superior offensive lines he barely matched DD's performance behind a dollar store OL. Let's not make Chester Taylor into some kind of superman until he proves it at 31 years old

And they're wrong. They'll get a couple good years out of each and then eat a lot of dead money. One fool's actions don't prove the remainder of the gene pool's actions foolish.

icak, taylor was a backup, DD was a starter. comparing their stats is probably not a good barometer of their comparative worth. one guy was the featured weapon of the offense and constantly got checkdowns from this forum's former golden boy Carr, whereas the other guy was behind the pre-eminent RB in the NFC if not the NFL.

as for Peppers and Taylor, you could be right that they could flame out in a couple years but that is your opinion. you always call me out when i make an opinion and state it as fact, so what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

put it this way icak, if we had just signed Taylor and Peppers, people in Texans land would be very happy. we can act like we wouldn't or that it would be a waste of money sometime in the future, but this place would be alive with interest, excitement, and expectation. The Bears did right by their fans and they now have an improved team that should win more football games which is all that matters. wins and losses.

CT is probably equal to DD at least and needless to say Peppers would look real good opposite Mario on the DL. We just weren't willing to pay what it takes to land the elite FAs and frankly have never shown the willingness to do so in over 8 years.

leebigeztx
03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I

You value and Smithiak value Walter more than I do. While Walter is a solid no.2 WR he's nothing special.

You could have used KW and Dunta's money to sign a major FA. Then drafted a Shipley type WR to complete the WR corps in the 3/4 rd.

I will give the Texans credit they did take care of their own. Why does the thought of having to face Walter with the Jags twice a year make your heart sink?

God knows what happened to your heart when Aaron Glenn got cut. I look at players as assets and liabilities. You look at players as people and whether there good guys or not. This has been going on in this FO for a while now. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Look I like our guys as much as the next guy but so far our guys haven't been good enough to make the playoffs. Some changes need to be made on the roster besides just the draft.

The FO needs to fill 5 holes IMHO (RB,OG,DT,CB,S) Whether they fill them in FA,Trading future draft picks and the draft doesn't matter. As long as the needs get filled.

To be the 6th most profitable franchise and not use FA as a tool to truly improve the team is assanine. IMHO

The Texans are close to being a team this cities fans can be proud of. They just need a little help from McNair and they're not getting it. IMHO This is what makes this organization so frustrating. Kinda like with Bud.

I agree with you on this take. I like walters and he's solid, but when teams take johnson out, you need a more dynamic player. Jones still has consistency issues, but he's alot more explosive and dynamic. Much like the garcon kid in indy, that explosion adds a element walters cant bring. I think too many times the texans just want solid. Solid is cool if you've won something.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I

i agree with everything except Walter is a pretty damn good football player and we want to have as much continuity as possible. remember just a few years Walter was our #1 WR when AJ went down and did quite admirably under the circumstances. Walter also makes it possible to let OD go sign somewhere else because he is going to want top TE money and he isn't worth it especially coming off an injury and especially with his one-dimensional play. Losing OD would hurt Schaub but keeping Walter would give him at least one of his security blankets to go to when AJ is being doubled or tripled.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM
icak, taylor was a backup, DD was a starter. comparing their stats is probably not a good barometer of their comparative worth. one guy was the featured weapon of the offense and constantly got checkdowns from this forum's former golden boy Carr, whereas the other guy was behind the pre-eminent RB in the NFC if not the NFL.

Yeah and one guy played behind two of the best OLs around while coming in as fresh relief rather than carrying the load. Just my opinion but Taylor doesn't have the short space vision or burst DD had. Neither has top end speed. I think DD would win out but hey that's my opinion.

as for Peppers and Taylor, you could be right that they could flame out in a couple years but that is your opinion. you always call me out when i make an opinion and state it as fact, so what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fair enough. I just state my opinion. I think signing Peppers was a fool's errand. Taylor I'm oh so so about. I wouldn't have minded signing him at all but wouldn't have been surprised at all when he came here and underwhelmed people and suddenly transformed into example #2 of why not to sign 30 year old RBs either. And I am not even in the don't sign 30 year old RB crowd.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah and one guy played behind two of the best OLs around while coming in as fresh relief rather than carrying the load. Just my opinion but Taylor doesn't have the short space vision or burst DD had. Neither has top end speed. I think DD would win out but hey that's my opinion.

Fair enough. I just state my opinion. I think signing Peppers was a fool's errand. Taylor I'm oh so so about. I wouldn't have minded signing him at all but wouldn't have been surprised at all when he came here and underwhelmed people and suddenly transformed into example #2 of why not to sign 30 year old RBs either.

icak, i guess my biggest problem was that it only took $3 million. why not take a chance? he would improve our RB situation, I think that is pretty clear. if the Vikings were willing to put him in ahead of AP, he must have some game and skill....and not just on 3rd Downs.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
icak, i guess my biggest problem was that it only took $3 million. why not take a chance? he would improve our RB situation, I think that is pretty clear. if the Vikings were willing to put him in ahead of AP, he must have some game and skill....and not just on 3rd Downs.

My honest opinion is Taylor doesn't fit what we do very well. He is more of a power blocking scheme RB. That and a four year deal is too long. Just like I said with respect to LT, don't get tied down into a long contract you know won't be fulfilled. Taylor is fresher than LT but there are a number of things that make LT better for what we do - small space short yardage vision, one cut and go, pass receiving. Not saying we will sign LT but for contrast. And look at what just happened - you are arguing for Taylor as some kind of savior and he just signed on to be the backup for the 3rd time in his career. He ain't all that.

beerlover
03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with you on this take. I like walters and he's solid, but when teams take johnson out, you need a more dynamic player. Jones still has consistency issues, but he's alot more explosive and dynamic. Much like the garcon kid in indy, that explosion adds a element walters cant bring. I think too many times the texans just want solid. Solid is cool if you've won something.

just say it, middle of the road :)

leebigeztx
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
i agree with everything except Walter is a pretty damn good football player and we want to have as much continuity as possible. remember just a few years Walter was our #1 WR when AJ went down and did quite admirably under the circumstances. Walter also makes it possible to let OD go sign somewhere else because he is going to want top TE money and he isn't worth it especially coming off an injury and especially with his one-dimensional play. Losing OD would hurt Schaub but keeping Walter would give him at least one of his security blankets to go to when AJ is being doubled or tripled.

I'm trying to understand your logic in this post. You can make the case that daniels is top 5 at his position and you wouldnt get a argument. That is considered special to me. Walters isnt even top 5 #2 reciever right now. I like walters, but i can name alot of receivers who are alot better than him. I'm not even sure if there is a open competition if he can beat jones out. A guy like walters you let him shop himself and bring the offer back. You dont sign him on the first day of free agency in no time,day,or planet. He's solid, but dont get that twisted with irreplaceable.

Chance_C
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Look I like our guys as much as the next guy but so far our guys haven't been good enough to make the playoffs. Some changes need to be made on the roster besides just the draft. Some changes do need to be made, just not to our WR corps.

Exactly, and if Walter would have signed elsewhere, you could add WR to that list.

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Exactly, and if Walter would have signed elsewhere, you could add WR to that list.

Bingo.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Bingo.

AJ, JJ, DA, Martinez and a late rd pick that can be a KR/PR would be a solid WR corps. IMO

Then with the $ saved by letting Walter and Dunta go you could fill 2 of those holes.

Smithiak and some people on the MB value Walter more than I do. I'm not saying I'm right and they're wwrong. I would just approach things differently.

gary
03-06-2010, 04:20 PM
AJ, JJ, DA, Martinez and a late rd pick that can be a KR/PR would be a solid WR corps. IMO

Then with the $ saved by letting Walter and Dunta go you could fill 2 of those holes.

Smithiak and some people on the MB value Walter more than I do. I'm not saying I'm right and they're wwrong. I would just approach things differently.Agree. Walter is good but I would not say he is jaw dropping or he is not replaceable. I am still glad he is still a Texan though.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Agree. Walter is good but I would not say he is jaw dropping or he is not replaceable. I am still glad he is still a Texan though.

This

gary
03-06-2010, 04:32 PM
ThisSince the Texans would not have gotten anyone for him by allowing him to walk him staying is not bad thing. If it were AJ, Boldin, or Larry I'd say hell no Steve Smith would be a keeper too JMO.

leebigeztx
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I wouldve just rolled with jones oppososite of andre and let martinez and davis handle the special teams stuff or throw that money at bryant. I mean jones scored 6 td in 27 atts with 16 ypc. When you could free andre up by putting him in the slot on the same side as jones and really put pressure on the defense. I know he has the shane battier stigma on him, but this team needs to make more explosive plays from someone not name johnson.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I wouldve just rolled with jones oppososite of andre and let martinez and davis handle the special teams stuff or throw that money at bryant. I mean jones scored 6 td in 27 atts with 16 ypc. When you could free andre up by putting him in the slot on the same side as jones and really put pressure on the defense. I know he has the shane battier stigma on him, but this team needs to make more explosive plays from someone not name johnson.

Battier = Good analogy

Hopefully JJ gets more PT and produces some of those explosive plays that you are talking about.

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM

The simplest way for JJ to get on the field is to beat out KW. If he can't do that then its in the team's best interest to give KW more playing time than JJ.

ObsiWan
03-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Chester Taylor doesn't have the upside that Walter does. Not even close. Down here, without Minnesota's O-line in front of him, he would be no better than Ryan Moats. Did I mention he'll be turning 31 or 32 this year? On the other hand, Walter is in his prime and he's coming back, I would think, to re-establish his position as the solid #2 guy behind A.J. (don't think he hasn't heard the J.J. will take your spot whispers).
I think you'd have wasted that money.
...but that's just me.

gary
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Just remember the truth in the end every player in every sport is replaceable for one reason or another for whatever the reason might be contract, FA, or injury just to name a few. Yes, even players like Mario and AJ who would be tougher to lose but that is the point of sports drafts and FA when it comes down to it. Isn't it? I am just being truthful that is all.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Down here, without Minnesota's O-line in front of him, he would be no better than Ryan Moats.

Exactly. This Chester Taylor mythology that he was going to come here and carry the day is just that, myth. Dude averaged 3.6 ypc last year behind a really good rushing OL that AP averaged 4.4 ypc behind (and AP was in for the short yardage situations). What makes anyone think he was going to come here and behind a hopefully improved but still not Vikings OL, adapt at 31 to ZBS, and miraculously become a front line RB?

And for the record, DD was better than Taylor ever thought about being.

Texan_Bill
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Exactly. This Chester Taylor mythology that he was going to come here and carry the day is just that, myth. Dude averaged 3.6 ypc last year behind a really good rushing OL that AP averaged 4.4 ypc behind (and AP was in for the short yardage situations). What makes anyone think he was going to come here and behind a hopefully improved but still not Vikings OL, adapt at 31 to ZBS, and miraculously become a front line RB?

Yup!!! Just another case of people thinking in the grass is greener.....

And yes, I agree about DD. Yet, I think he was somewhat under appreciated.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Jerry Angelo would disaree with you.

BTW the Vikings wanted to re-sign Taylor.

If the RB hole was filled in FA maybe the holes on the OL could be filled with a high draft choice. The fact that AP only avg. 4.4 ypc tells me that the Vikings OL may be a little overrated.

GP
03-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I think really good players can mask some deficiencies in other areas.

Bringing up AP's stellar yardage, when compared to Taylor's, wasn't exactly an "argument clincher" in terms of saying that Chester Taylor isn't all he's cracked up to be. It tells me that AP is just off-the-charts crazy silly awesome, and he's going to succeed on most teams not named Rams/Seahawks/Raiders.

For the record, if anyone wonders, I never wanted Taylor to come here. I have been a Thomas Jones fan out of all the choices thrown out there.

mexican_texan
03-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Yup!!! Just another case of people thinking in the grass is greener.....

And yes, I agree about DD. Yet, I think he was somewhat under appreciated.
I loved DD. To this day, his is the only jersey I own. He was the only consistently good player on this team, he made every Sunday entertaining.

barrett
03-07-2010, 02:57 AM

Without question they are past their prime. Are they good football players? Yes. But philosophically the Texans feel like it isn't a good value to pay them the biggest contracts of their careers when their production is on the decline or on the verge at the very least. It's different with a guy like Walter. He's younger and proven to be productive in this exact system with these coaches and players in tact. Furthermore, as a WR at 29 he has several years still left in his prime.

Kubiak said it himself:
He stands for everything we are. He’s a great kid, a hard worker, a player who does everything right on and off the field.

He's a proven fit for this system and this team. The bolded area is a much bigger factor to this organization as well. I could argue that a team like Baltimore chose to pay Ray Lewis a third contract when he was unquestionably on the backside of his career because of what he stands for to that organization. For the Texans, and some of you are annoyed by this but, being a good person and a good football player is of great value to them. I'm not suggesting that Peppers and Taylor aren't good guys (Taylor specifically is considered a great locker room presence). Rather that keeping "our guys" in house is very important to the organization if they think they are going to continue to be productive.

A team that is struggling may have to over pay to attract players that can have an immediate impact. Especially if they don't have much depth or if the coaching staff is in jeopardy of being let go. Just 4 years ago the Texans were still having to over pay to get guys in here. Now we can risk loosing an important piece of our offense because we have excellent depth at the WR position and an organization that the players honestly want to play for. Walter said it himself (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html):
I’m glad it worked out this way because this is where I wanted to be. We’re a team on the rise. I want to have a great year to help us get where we want to go. I really didn’t want to go anywhere else.

You're probably never going to see Houston dump big money into two guys on the back side of their careers. Unless they are already apart of what's going on here and can still play at a high level, similar to the Ray Lewis deal. At least as long as this regime is in power we're going to continue to fly under the radar.

infantrycak
03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Jerry Angelo would disaree with you.

BTW the Vikings wanted to re-sign Taylor.

Wait so is the GM the one who decides to spend or the owners? Y'all need to pick and stick with one.

In any event, no both agreed with me that Chester Taylor is a good back to have as a backup.

steelbtexan
03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Wait so is the GM the one who decides to spend or the owners? Y'all need to pick and stick with one.

In any event, no both agreed with me that Chester Taylor is a good back to have as a backup.

The GM makes the dcision who he would like to sign and the owner signs off on it. The GM usually knows the owners parameters before FA begins.

You know this, why be so argumentative.

Taylor would be good in a RBBC. See we agree, BTW Taylor rushed for 1200 yds as a starter before AP.

Have the Texans ever had a 1200 yd rusher?

TexanBacker93
03-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I

I don't know if there were really any major FAs available this year. Peppers yeah, but with Mario they weren't going to put money towards another stud DE. I like Taylor, but it's not like he's Chris Johnson becoming a free agent. Having no cap doesn't help much when the best free agents are restricted and losing a 1st round pick (or more) isn't worth it when you have to overpay them in the first place.

texasguy346
03-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Slaton did it last year. He was close to 1300 yards rushing.

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Slaton did it last year. He was close to 1300 yards rushing.

Slaton didn't do half that last year. You must mean 2008.

infantrycak
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
You know this, why be so argumentative.

:potkettle:

Taylor would be good in a RBBC. See we agree, BTW Taylor rushed for 1200 yds as a starter before AP.

2008 - 1282 Steve Slaton
2004 - 1188 DD with 588 in receptions as well. 14 TDs that season - half the total Taylor has in 8 seasons.

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Slaton: 1282 yards.

texasguy346
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Slaton didn't do half that last year. You must mean 2008.

When I said last year I was referring to last season (2008). I probably could have been more clear.

steelbtexan
03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
:potkettle:

2008 - 1282 Steve Slaton
2004 - 1188 DD with 588 in receptions as well. 14 TDs that season - half the total Taylor has in 8 seasons.

Thanks

LOL

That's what my wife/ex-wife say/said.

mike moffat
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Great news! Now I can change my signature again! (Happily)
:clap: