PDA

View Full Version : Cushing training MMA style w/ Chuck Liddell, Glazer

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/cushing-embraces-mma-training/

Glazer and UFC star Chuck Lidell worked out today with Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, the 2009 Associated Press defensive player of the year. Cushing, whose session lasted 90 minutes today, has been a regular since the season ended.

Another pic: http://tweetphoto.com/13355675

Jay Glazer via twitter: "Chuck put Cushing thru a 90 min workout, muy thai, boxing, wrestling, pushed him hard but Cush pushed rt back. Mentally tough kid"

Glazer's been tweeting about this all offseason...says he's been trying to push him to a breaking point but Cush is too tough...

Wish our other guys trained this hard too

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Jay Glazer via twitter: "Chuck put Cushing thru a 90 min workout, muy thai, boxing, wrestling, pushed him hard but Cush pushed rt back. Mentally tough kid"

Glazer's been tweeting about this all offseason...says he's been trying to push him to a breaking point but Cush is too tough...

Awesome! Superman is gonna learn how to knock someone the F out MMA style.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I'd prefer Lyoto Machida training our boy.

Texecutioner
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
That's awsome! I'd love to see Cushing in an MMA fight, although the training could easily get him injured. But that would be exciting for sure. Cush is a freaking beast!

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd prefer Lyoto Machida training our boy.

I dunno man, I like moving forward and attacking better than back-peddling and counter punching (i.e. Mike Tyson versus a fighter like Trevor Berbick).

Meh, it's splittin' hairs at this point. Either way it's making an already bad man, badder.

Heath Shuler
03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Kick ass!

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I've been wanting Mario to do something similar for two years now. Ugh!

valleytexfan
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm so freakin' glad we have a badass on our team!

b0ng
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I dunno man, I like moving forward and attacking better than back-peddling and counter punching (i.e. Mike Tyson versus a fighter like Trevor Berbick).

Meh, it's splittin' hairs at this point. Either way it's making an already bad man, badder.

Counter-point: Liddell could be teaching Cush how to get fat and drunk.

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been wanting Mario to do something similar for two years now. Ugh!

How about Frank Okam? That'd solve alot of our DT problems.... swear the dude is so soft and lazy

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Doh!! Touche!! lol:

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Maybe they're training naked. :hides:

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM

:bat:

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM

That would be the Vince Young Longhorn training program

b0ng
03-05-2010, 06:00 PM

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/GayJiuJitsu.jpg

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 06:02 PM
:lol: oh wait, :heh:

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM
That would be the Vince Young Longhorn training program

:hmmm: Maybe that's why he's got his name tatted on his back. To make his companion remembers his name to call him back?

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
:hmmm: Maybe that's why he's got his name tatted on his back. To make his companion remembers his name to call him back?

Whatz my name?

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2017(41).png

eriadoc
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
He executed a pretty good reap on that safety he picked up this season.

Dutchrudder
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm guessing this is in preparation for the next meeting with the Titans. I say they send all the Texans to this training so other teams don't mess with them, especially our division rivals.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm so freakin' glad we have a badass on our team!

No kidding. We need more.

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
That's awesome. Really really good "workout" that gets the entire body in shape... not just certain muscles. Plus it really improves your instincts- I would love for our guys in the trenches (OL and DL) to go through this.

LonerATO
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Thats pretty much the only thing that Glazer has tweeted for awhile now, is his NFL MMA training stuff

indiantexan
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Man Cushing is such a meathead! I love it!!

edo783
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
When you train in an aggressive and violent manner, you become more aggressive and violent. Might want to warn some folks that Cush won't be playing patty cake next season. He had a tendency to be borderline this year and came close to some flags. Hope he doesn't get too carried away. Then again, maybe not. PeyPey with a serious nose bleed and unfocused eyes would be a sweet picture.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 10:09 PM
When you train in an aggressive and violent manner, you become more aggressive and violent. Might want to warn some folks that Cush won't be playing patty cake next season. He had a tendency to be borderline this year and came close to some flags. Hope he doesn't get too carried away. Then again, maybe not. PeyPey with a serious nose bleed and unfocused eyes would be a sweet picture.

Kick ass. Its the new value.

edo783
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Kick ass. Its the new value.

Booyah LOL

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
When you train in an aggressive and violent manner, you become more aggressive, violent and under control with the discipline that comes from this type of training

The bolded is just piggybacking off your post.

edo783
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
The bolded is just piggybacking off your post.

And it is true. Learned that somewhere.

Pollardized
03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Man I could so kick Cushing's ass....

in a spelling bee

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Cushing would be a beast in MMA if he dedicated himself to it the way he does football. With his combination of youth, physical assets, and mental toughness he would wreck shop with a couple years training.

But that's why HW divisions are notoriously weak in combat sports. The big guys who are elite athletes go to the higher paid sports like football....

I bet Cushing could cut to 205 with some adjustments to his diet as well. Hypothetical obviously but...

Texan_Bill
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
As someone who was initiallitay skeptical of Cush, I've been pleasantly surprised.... Dude is a beast!!!

Stay healthy my man and prove me wrong..... I like being wrong!!!

TimeKiller
03-07-2010, 01:29 AM
......can I get a hell yeah??!?!?!?

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2010, 01:30 AM
As someone who was initiallitay skeptical of Cush, I've been pleasantly surprised.... Dude is a beast!!!

Stay healthy my man and prove me wrong..... I like being wrong!!!

Is that why you're wrong so often?

:jk:

Texan4Ever
03-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Man, I wish I could have his workout routine or sumthing! I just hope he's not on roids, if not then Cushing is a legit beast.

He's our Robert Brazile!

http://www.sportsattic2.com/nflphotos/photos12/Brazile,Robert5.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0284/9523/13109_feature.jpg

barrett
03-07-2010, 02:13 AM
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c54102/x2_afd236

This is a pretty good look for Sean Payton.

Malloy
03-07-2010, 06:46 AM
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c54102/x2_afd236

This is a pretty good look for Sean Payton.

I say that with that trophy in his hand he can dress up like :clown: and still get away with it :)

Corrosion
03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
That would be the "Fud Adam's bucking Vince Young" training program

Fixed. :gamer:

Buck Fud.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Man, I wish I could have his workout routine or sumthing! I just hope he's not on roids, if not then Cushing is a legit beast.

He's our Robert Brazile!

http://www.sportsattic2.com/nflphotos/photos12/Brazile,Robert5.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0284/9523/13109_feature.jpg

Dr. Doom references always get repped.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Is that why you're wrong so often?

:jk:

Probably... Skepticism is my middle name. The formal name is Texan_Skepticism_Bill :D

BigBull17
03-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Or Liddels near perfect sprawl. He was one of the hardest guys to take down, nd a sprawl is very close to shedding a blocker. Liddel is one of the guys who hardly ever got gassed. I think it's a good guy to pick.

b0ng
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Or Liddels near perfect sprawl. He was one of the hardest guys to take down, nd a sprawl is very close to shedding a blocker. Liddel is one of the guys who hardly ever got gassed. I think it's a good guy to pick.

A lot has changed since 2005/6 :)

BigBull17
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
A lot has changed since 2005/6 :)

Yeah, but he still knows a killer sprawl. People just learned how he worked. He knows alot and always had great conditioning.

Esoom
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I just hope he doesn't pick up on the part of Chuck's workout routine that is centered entirely on hookers and mountains of cocaine.

Carr Bombed
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I just hope he doesn't pick up on the part of Chuck's workout routine that is centered entirely on hookers and mountains of cocaine.

If he does that, I'm changing his nickname to Bill Brasky :)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70821/saturday-night-live-bill-brasky-little-league

The Cush
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Just keep his arm out of arm bars please!

barrett
04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Just heard Barwin comment via twitter (http://twitter.com/) that he plans to try out the MMA training with Cushing.

barwin: I'm gonna have to check that(MMA) out bro

cushing: ill be back there (training with Glazer doing MMA) after ota's well get a couple guys out for a week

barwin: I'll for sure come check it out

LonerATO
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I say that with that trophy in his hand he can dress up like :clown: and still get away with it :)

Theres pics of Pat Green dressed up with them

Texecutioner
04-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I bet Cushing could cut to 205 with some adjustments to his diet as well. Hypothetical obviously but...

If Cush could cut to 205, I could see him being a really dominant wrestler type that could be dominant on the ground and pound. Sort of like a Ryan Bader or Chael Sonnen type but with more potential.

powerfuldragon
04-27-2010, 01:56 AM
mma is lame. it was cool back when bas rutten was fighting.

LonerATO
04-27-2010, 08:54 AM
If Cush could cut to 205, I could see him being a really dominant wrestler type that could be dominant on the ground and pound. Sort of like a Ryan Bader or Chael Sonnen type but with more potential.

Did Cushing ever wrestle?

Jackie Chiles
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
barwin: I'm gonna have to check that(MMA) out bro
Quote:
cushing: ill be back there (training with Glazer doing MMA) after ota's well get a couple guys out for a week
Quote:
barwin: I'll for sure come check it out

I get a kick out of seeing Connor tweet like that. If you listen to an interview from him he uses the phrase "for sure" or "oh, for sure" generously.

Texecutioner
04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Did Cushing ever wrestle?

Not that I'm aware of, but he sure as hell can tackle. I bet that he'd be a great wrestler with his strength and would probably have one of the best double leg take downs in the UFC if he ever competed long term. I wouldn't want Cushing on top of me trying to GNP either.

LonerATO
04-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but he sure as hell can tackle. I bet that he'd be a great wrestler with his strength and would probably have one of the best double leg take downs in the UFC if he ever competed long term. I wouldn't want Cushing on top of me trying to GNP either.

Not to come off like an ass at all, but there is more to wrestling then takedowns. I agree with you in the fact that he would bring some power, but you cant always use power.

Texecutioner
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Not to come off like an ass at all, but there is more to wrestling then takedowns. I agree with you in the fact that he would bring some power, but you cant always use power.

Where did I ever say that take downs was all that involved wrestling?

There's take down defense, there is sprawling, there is grecko Roman wrestling, and there is all sorts of positions that require control. Cushing has ridiculous strength for his size though. That's always been one of the things that he's been known for even since HS. I wouldn't be surprised if he did wrestle in HS with as strong as he was back then.

TimeKiller
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM

I triple dog dare you to say that to Cushing and then try to judo flip him.

Texecutioner
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
"It's been going great. We've been doing it three or four times a week. Just the conditioning and the kind of training that we've been doing is so unique and everything has really worked out. It's been a great off-season. The biggest thing is Jay [Glazer] understands the role he's taking as a guy he's training. He understands there's a ton of responsibility and accountability the coaches are giving him to train his players. He knows the situation, he knows we're not professional fighters, he knows we're professional football players. That's what he's training us for. Not for the fights but to keep us healthy, to keep us safe, and to get us more flexible and more aware of our surroundings out there on the field. I don't see why not [more NFL players would adopt MMA training]. Not only is it very good for you, but it's kind of a release now and it's different from training all year ‘round, lifting weights, and doing all that kind of stuff. Now you can go into the gym and do this and basically get a three or four hour workout done in one hour with this kind of stuff."

http://www.mmamania.com/

b0ng
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
One of the commentors on the cushing article said that some people in Houston didn't like him training MMA. That wasn't any of us right?

gtexan02
05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
One of the commentors on the cushing article said that some people in Houston didn't like him training MMA. That wasn't any of us right?

Probably people who dont understand the training, know about Cushings injury concerns, and are worried about him risking his health.

If he did get hurt somehow, it would be a PR nightmare

Texecutioner
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Probably people who dont understand the training, know about Cushings injury concerns, and are worried about him risking his health.

If he did get hurt somehow, it would be a PR nightmare

I doubt that he'd doing anything that extensive to where he's at a major injury risk. Hell, just doing Mui Thai would help him big time with his cardio. The wrestling could possibly make him throw or knock something out of place, but I guess it just depends on how hard he's going at it really. I'd be pretty shocked if he ever caught a major injury with the training that he's currently doing.

blitz90
05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Was probably some anti-mma a$$ jockey that doesn't understand the sport.

TheRealJoker
05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Training MMA recreationally is much safer than training camp for the NFL (Where Cushing was injured fairly early last season).

I highly doubt that if Cushing is sparring; whether it be just striking, grappling, or MMA that he would be doing it with anyone but the most qualified. No way he'd risk his health (nor would the team let him) training with a spaz or some relative nobody who wants to get famous by hurting the Cush somehow.

LonerATO
05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Training MMA recreationally is much safer than training camp for the NFL (Where Cushing was injured fairly early last season).

I highly doubt that if Cushing is sparring; whether it be just striking, grappling, or MMA that he would be doing it with anyone but the most qualified. No way he'd risk his health (nor would the team let him) training with a spaz or some relative nobody who wants to get famous by hurting the Cush somehow.

The most damage one can do to themselves sparring is bruising and maybe a sprained joint, but freak accidents can happen at any time look at Brandon Marshall and the McDonald's wrapper.

TheRealJoker
05-06-2010, 11:47 PM
The most damage one can do to themselves sparring is bruising and maybe a sprained joint, but freak accidents can happen at any time look at Brandon Marshall and the McDonald's wrapper.

I've seen bones break in the gym when inexperienced people are rolling and one of them decides not to tap. I'd say that's a pretty serious concern but as long as Cushing is only sparring with experienced people who know when to let up and don't want to get famous off of his name then he should be fine.

scourge
05-07-2010, 01:56 PM

Liddell has always had the beer gut, even in his earlier days. He wasn't/isn't out of shape and that gut is more muscle than flab from what it looks like. Is he past his prime? Yes. But still dangerous even now. If that Tito/Chuck fight wouldn't have been cancelled Chuck would've killed Mr. "Aren't not talk none too good"

On a derailing side note, have y'all seen Tito training the guys in TUF? His workouts are right up VY's alley.