PDA

View Full Version : Texan Free Agency Chatter

Pages : [1] 2

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Thought "info" about who the Texans are looking at with links would be nice all packaged into on thread.

Chester Taylor, RB

http://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/9993927328

Word on the steet is that Detroit & Houston could lead charge tonight for services of RB Chester Taylor. Stay tuned. 12 minutes ago via web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it comes down to Detroit or Houston, Chester's gotta be liking his chances in Houston better, I'd think.

JB
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Thought "info" about who the Texans are looking at with links would be nice all packaged into on thread.

Chester Taylor, RB

http://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/9993927328

Word on the steet is that Detroit & Houston could lead charge tonight for services of RB Chester Taylor. Stay tuned. 12 minutes ago via web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it comes down to Detroit or Houston, Chester's gotta be liking his chances in Houston better, I'd think.

He is from Detroit

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
He is from Detroit

I thought that was Jerome Bettis. :doot:

gary
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I would think he'd rather be a Texan.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Gotta like the Texans' chances with this one.

ArlingtonTexan
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
more on Taylor

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sources-Chester-Taylor-on-the-move-Texans-Lions-heavily-interested.html

Despite the presence of several NFL luminaries, Minnesota Vikings runner Chester Taylor is emerging as the prize of the free agent class.

AP
Chester Taylor is emerging as the most sought after free agent running back.
According to league sources, Taylor is going to be heavily pursued by the Detroit Lions and the Houston Texans, among several other interested franchises.

Taylor has ties to both cities, having grown up in Detroit and living in Houston during the offseason.

Who else is interested in Taylor?

National Football Post has learned that Taylor is also a target for the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants, Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Vikings remain interested in re-signing Taylor with no deal imminent at this point as he's poised to hit the open market.

Although LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook and Thomas Jones are all unrestricted free agents, Taylor's versatility and skills are attractive to several teams.

Plus, Taylor, 30, is well-preserved because he has operated as a backup for the majority of his career behind Jamal Lewis with the Baltimore Ravens and behind Adrian Peterson with the Vikings.

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Didn't know that he lives here in the offseason. That can't hurt our chances.

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
thos free agentsy start tonight or tomarow night ?

Hardcore Texan
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I would not mind this signing at all, at a reasonable price of course.

Hardcore Texan
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM

tonite @ midnite

J_R
03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
McClain_on_NFL There's a report Texans are interested in RB Chester Taylor. Not true. For the umpteenth time, the Texans aren't interested in old backs.

fwiw

Nawzer
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
My 13 year old cousin just became a free agent after his middle school team cut him. I wonder if he's young enough for the Texans...

Pantherstang84
03-04-2010, 07:06 PM
We need an "All Encompassing Texans Interested in {Insert favorite over the hill RB here} Thread."

Because of Ahman Green the lazy sports writers out there assume the Texans are interested in every old back available.

Cjeremy635
03-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Dude....what happened?

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
my keybord was broken i just now noticed sorry

ArlingtonTexan
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
McClain_on_NFL There's a report Texans are interested in RB Chester Taylor. Not true. For the umpteenth time, the Texans aren't interested in old backs.

fwiw

Translated he really does not know for sure, but will keep parroting what he heard earlier in the off-season.

Big Poundcake
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
nm.

Ckw
03-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I am getting to where I can't stand McClain. The man always thinks he knows everything about the Texans, yet the team has never really made him their mouthpiece no matter how badly he wants them to.

Cjeremy635
03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I am getting to where I can't stand McClain. The man always thinks he knows everything about the Texans, yet the team has never really made him their mouthpiece no matter how badly he wants them to.

Yeah, I have never cared for him very much either. I just find him equally obnoxious and gross.

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
If we sign Chester Taylor that does not bode well for Steve Slaton's future in the NFL. Taylor is basically an older version of what Slaton was drafted to be....

He would help out the offense no doubt, but it means that they are not confident in Slaton's health moving forward if they want to sign a notable 3rd down/speed type back in FA. Then they either have to really believe in Foster as our big back or spend a draft pick on RB.

Cjeremy635
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
If we sign Chester Taylor that does not bode well for Steve Slaton's future in the NFL. Taylor is basically an older version of what Slaton was drafted to be....

He would help out the offense no doubt, but it means that they are not confident in Slaton's health moving forward if they want to sign a notable 3rd down/speed type back in FA. Then they either have to really believe in Foster as our big back or spend a draft pick on RB.

You don't think that Slaton could benefit from a role like Taylor's with the Vikings? I think he could learn a lot from a veteran and would also stay pretty fresh for us to use down the stretch.

barrett
03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
No rumor of Houston going after Antrel Rolle so far:

A league source has confirmed that the Bears are indeed chasing Rolle. We're also told that the Giants and Dolphins are pursuing Rolle, and that the Cardinals still hope to get him back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/land-rush-for-antrel-rolle/

gary
03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
is there a certain date FA must be sign by?

ArlingtonTexan
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM

No.

Mike Kerns
03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
So, apparently Dunta is goingto ATL...my other team I root for. Terrific. I just can't escape this guy...

NitroGSXR
03-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Good players do not remain generally free agents for long. They want their contracts signed. I expect a big rush for FAs in the next few days in the NFL. It's going to be fun. The offseason really begins to suck after though.

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
You don't think that Slaton could benefit from a role like Taylor's with the Vikings? I think he could learn a lot from a veteran and would also stay pretty fresh for us to use down the stretch.

They're essentially the same player. Slaton's old touches would go to Taylor unless the coaches think Slaton would be a more effective short yardage back than Foster or another FA/Draft addition.

awtysst
03-04-2010, 09:22 PM
So, apparently Dunta is goingto ATL...my other team I root for. Terrific. I just can't escape this guy...

GOOD! That means they are less likely to go after a CB like Kyle Wilson now!

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:22 PM

Great point!!!

J_R
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
It appears the media outlets are taking John's word. We should know soon enough, perhaps in the next couple hours.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/report-texans-dont-want-chester-taylor/

and

Free agent Chester Taylor is expected to sign a new contract within 48 hours.

We can rule the Texans out, and the Vikings are probably out the picture as well after failing to reach a deal. The Lions may be the front-runners as we head toward midnight.

Via Rotoworld^^^

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
tHERE A FLAW mclain is all in that aritical

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that they aren't.

"For the umpteenth time," McClain says, "the Texans aren't interested in old backs."

NitroGSXR
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM
They're essentially the same player. Slaton's old touches would go to Taylor unless the coaches think Slaton would be a more effective short yardage back than Foster or another FA/Draft addition.

Not necessarily a bad thing for Slaton's future. Slaton's not a FA. Taylor would be a bandaid. Gives Slaton more time to get his stuff together. I don't see the Texans outright cutting Slaton to make room for Taylor. I think he'll spend time on IR when next season starts.

J_R
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Not necessarily a bad thing for Slaton's future. Slaton's not a FA. Taylor would be a bandaid. Gives Slaton more time to get his stuff together. I don't see the Texans outright cutting Slaton to make room for Taylor. I think he'll spend time on IR when next season starts.

You mean PUP? IR would mean he is done for the season.

rmartin65
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM

That would be most excellent.

NitroGSXR
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
You mean PUP? IR would mean he is done for the season.

Either but yes I initially meant PUP.

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Either but yes I initially meant PUP.

If Slaton doesn't play next season I have a hard time believing he is in the Texans' long term plans. I hope Kubiak learned from the DD/W experience.

Mike Kerns
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Another NFL source told me that Texans WR Kevin Walter's price is going up. Ravens have watched a lot of film of Walter and like him.

Ravens Insider, Twitter

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
let the rumors begin!!!!!!!!!

any 1 have any updates ?

J_R
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Sadly, nothing regarding the Texans, yet.

Remains to be seen about Chester Taylor.

Hoss
03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Chester Taylor...:francis:

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 11:10 PM
its 11 central let the fun begin

Hoss
03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
i thought Peppers would already be with a team...

J_R
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM
KW may be former Texan.

HouSportsWriter
03-04-2010, 11:18 PM
guys ahman green is an ufa !!!!! lets get him

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
There is already a thread for Texans FA and one for the NFL FA.

Hoss
03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
guys ahman green is an ufa !!!!! lets get him

:francis:

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:21 AM
CB Leigh Bodden is drawing interest from the following team, Houston, Seattle, New England, Pittsburgh, according to a league source.

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/10011802634

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Maybe Kubes sleep apnea problem will wake up Rick Smith and C.Taylor and Bodden will be Texan FA signings by tomorrow morning

mariowillshine15
03-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Leigh Bodden is a really good corner id love to see him land in Houston.

Thanks to everybody who keeps posting info keep up the good work.

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Taylor destined for Chicago imo

Mailman
03-05-2010, 01:56 AM
I would be very pleased if the front office could snag Leigh Bodden. Git 'r dun!

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
I would be very pleased if the front office could snag Leigh Bodden. Git 'r dun!

Not so fast. Bodden isn't a man corner, doesn't fit our cover 1 scheme and gets beat over the top a lot, lacks top end speed to stay with elite receivers. Will get overpaid and won't deserve it. If you think Reeves is bad, you'll hate Bodden.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
OK, it's Friday morning and there's no news? What's wrong with the Texans FO? I expected a CB, RB, and OL signed by now. sheessshh

Wolf6151
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
RICK, wake up and get us Richard Marshall not Leigh Bodden.

NitroGSXR
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
OK, it's Friday morning and there's no news? What's wrong with the Texans FO? I expected a CB, RB, and OL signed by now. sheessshh
We got Matt Turk!!

:fans:

Lol.

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
C Taylor has a visit with Chicago scheduled. If we were interested and showed any interest, it didn't do to much to stop the Taylor train. I predict he goes to Chicago.

False Start
03-05-2010, 08:21 AM
:cricket:

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 08:26 AM
We got Matt Turk!!

:fans:

Lol.

I still hope we draft Zoltan!!!

J_R
03-05-2010, 08:39 AM
McClain_on_NFL I think Texans will watch this first surge of free agency and then start bringing in players next week who can compete for jobs or back up.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Ill tell you what, Im getting pumped just reading about all the movement so far this morning and its only 8:45am! Peppers to Chicago? VandenBosch to Detroit? Burleson to Detroit! Cromartie to Jets, Rolle to NYG?

I love it, I hope my Texans make some sort of headline somewhere even if its for a backup deep snapper.

I need something!

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Ill tell you what, Im getting pumped just reading about all the movement so far this morning and its only 8:45am! Peppers to Chicago? VandenBosch to Detroit? Burleson to Detroit! Cromartie to Jets, Rolle to NYG?

I love it, I hope my Texans make some sort of headline somewhere even if its for a backup deep snapper.

I need something!

Tennessee took a hit with Kyle leaving...did he actually agree to a deal yet? I saw the Burleson deal this morning.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Tennessee took a hit with Kyle leaving...did he actually agree to a deal yet? I saw the Burleson deal this morning.

Not yet, but with Jim Schwartz (tennessee's ex D-coord) being the coach in Detroit, I see one coming on soon. Apparently Schwartz has already visited KVB's home and is on the way to getting something signed.

Note: Schwartz was D-coord when KVB put up 12 sacks in 2007.

I would love for KVB to not only leave the AFC south, but get the hell out of the AFC.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Not yet, but with Jim Schwartz (tennessee's ex D-coord) being the coach in Detroit, I see one coming on soon. Apparently Schwartz has already visited KVB's home and is on the way to getting something signed.

I would love for KVB to not only leave the AFC south, but get the hell out of the AFC.

I'm with you on that one. What's bad for the Tacks is good for the Texans...unless Indy gets better, of course.

dc_txtech
03-05-2010, 08:54 AM

The Titans losing KVB and Fat Albert in consecutive years would definitely bode well for the Texans.

Pollardized
03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Vandendouche....

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 09:07 AM
The Titans losing KVB and Fat Albert in consecutive years would definitely bode well for the Texans.

With fat albert gone, KVB fixin to be gone, and an aging Bullock, the tacks defense shine is starting to wear off.....

dalemurphy
03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

Kasey Studdard will be the Texans' starter at left guard, according to beat writer John McClain.

The Texans are letting Chester Pitts walk in free agency because they are high on Studdard.

I just threw up in my mouth, a little!

Mr teX
03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Chester taylor JUST turned 30 in september & has only carried the ball over 300 times once in his entire career; every other year after that the most amount of times he carried the ball over a season is 157 attempts.

So mr. mcclain, there's plenty of tread on that "retread" & the texans had better be interested in this dude.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

Kasey Studdard will be the Texans' starter at left guard, according to beat writer John McClain.

The Texans are letting Chester Pitts walk in free agency because they are high on Studdard.

who knows, maybe studdard has been on a cycle for the past six weeks and is crackin skulls.

Brisco_County
03-05-2010, 09:14 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

Maybe he's improved. Not betting on it, but it's possible.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 09:14 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

I think McClain is throwing out as much as he possibly can right now in hopes of getting something right so he can say "I told you so!"

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
RICK, wake up and get us Richard Marshall not Leigh Bodden.

What he said^^^^

BullNation4Life
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
With fat albert gone, KVB fixin to be gone, and an aging Bullock, the tacks defense shine is starting to wear off.....

Um excuse me. Hello! They still have VY, Mr. all world Titan. He can easily slide into VanDendouche's spot and make the Pro Bowl...:gun:

While still throwing 17 picks....

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I think McClain is throwing out as much as he possibly can right now in hopes of getting something right so he can say "I told you so!"

Unfortunately, he may be right on this one.

BullNation4Life
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

I still think Caldwell will start the season at LG...

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, he may be right on this one.

He may be, but he may also be wrong. He's very arrogant about his "knowledge" while answering chat questions with "They'll draft who they draft" and other non-information.

BIG TORO
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I just hope when we do get news its good news!

Texanballer
03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I have a subscription to Espn Insider and this is new

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss reported recently that Leigh Bodden has re-hired former agent Alvin Keels, potentially improving the chances that the cornerback remains with the Patriots. Reiss writes that the move "shouldn't have a major impact when it comes to the possibility of the Patriots re-signing Bodden," but "with Bodden re-hiring Keels, the sides could potentially pick up where they left off last year on the talks regarding a longer-term deal."

But in a free-agent market that lacks star power amongst CBs, we could see Bodden getting some play around the league. On the cusp of signing Dunta Robinson -- the other top CB on the market -- the Falcons can likely be taken off the list, and Aaron Wilson of National Football Post has word from a source that it's down to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans and Seattle Seahawks, in addition to a possible return to Foxboro.

Cjeremy635
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I just hope that there is some stuff brewing behind the scenes. A little bit discouraging that we aren't making moves.

The Pencil Neck
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

And Bullock's a FA, too, right?

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 09:39 AM
And Bullock's a FA, too, right?

Yes, coming off an ACL to boot. Sucks for him

J_R
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
John McClain breaking the news. Oh wait...:rolleyes:

McClain_on_NFL Because they need a CB, expect the Texans to check out Leigh Bodden, who's the best after Dunta Robinson. They won't break the bank.

Big Lou
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

They are high on something!!!!!!

I like Kasey too, AS A BACK UP!!!!!

J_R
03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
McClain_on_NFL I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans check out G Stephen Neal. He fits what they do up front. He's got a lot of rings from the Pats.

dalemurphy
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
John McClain breaking the news. Oh wait...:rolleyes:

McClain_on_NFL Because they need a CB, expect the Texans to check out Leigh Bodden, who's the best after Dunta Robinson. They won't break the bank.

Considering he's been mocking some of us every time we mention the possibility of Bodden, this is pretty funny! He kept calling Bodden a "journeyman" and saying, "why would the Texans sign Bodden and let Robinson go? They won't be interested in Bodden, for the umpteenth time!"

Good reporting, as always, JM!!!!

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Kffl.com reporting we have interest in Bodden and Stephen Neal:

Texans | Expected to show interest in Bodden
Comment (0)
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:45:40 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are expected to show interest in unrestricted free-agent CB Leigh Bodden (Patriots).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | Could show interest in Neal
Comment (0)
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:45:25 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans could show interest in unrestricted free-agent OG Stephen Neal.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hJnoVgHb

Texanballer
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
In spite of comments to the contrary following the New England Patriots' loss to the Baltimore Ravens to end the 2009 season, veteran guard Stephen Neal intends to continue his NFL career, according to what his agent told NFL Insider Adam Schefter in February.

Neal would gladly rejoin the Pats, but there is a long list of teams that could use some veteran help on the O-line. Among those teams are the Bears, Bills, Browns, Bucs, Falcons, Raiders, Redskins, Seahawks and Texans. In fact, Houston Chronicle scribe John McClain tweeted on Friday that "I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans check out G Stephen Neal. He fits what they do up front. He's got a lot of rings from the Pats." Regarding that last sentence, the refrain we've heard frequently this offseason about the Texans is that they want to shed their psychology of losing; ergo adding a player with a championship pedigree could be a step in the right direction.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Bodden would make me happy. That would make up for losing Dunta.

Ckw
03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
via Rotoworld.com:

:spit:

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha!!!!!!

This organization makes me pissed off more and more by the minute. Actually scratch that. It is just starting to become laughable.

They are high on Kasey Studdard?!?!? Well, at least they got the "They are high" part correct.

HouSportsWriter
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/10011802634

woot/:kitten:

texanfan2002114
03-05-2010, 10:19 AM
It just say the Bodden is drawing interest from Houston and several other teams. It doesn't say he talking to us.

J_R
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
McClain_on_NFL Leigh Bodden won't come to Houston without being a starter. He might cost almost as much as Dunta wanted. Stay tuned.

bignasty
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
If this team regresses this year because our owner wants to pad his pockets a little more. I will sell 4 of my PSL's and just keep my 2 bull pen seats. Mcnair to me is trying to be more like bud every day.

I hope he proves me wrong. This shit is making me ill

Mike Kerns
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
After Dunta signs with ATL and the terms are disclosed, then we will hear what Bodden wants. Pretty sure it will be a similar asking price. I'm going to say "Not Likely."

Mr teX
03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I agree, if we snag bodden & taylor, i'd be okay if we did nothing else in FA.....unless we somehow have the opportunity to get peppers too.

dalemurphy
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
McClain_on_NFL Leigh Bodden won't come to Houston without being a starter. He might cost almost as much as Dunta wanted. Stay tuned.

That's a total fabrication. I guarantee he hasn't spoken to Bodden, Bodden's agent, or anyone that would have those demands!

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd gladly take Neal and Bodden and would able to sleep comfortable up until April.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
does anyone have info on the tender values placed on our big three free agents?

pollard
ryans
daniels

as far as draft picks go?

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 10:41 AM
does anyone have info on the tender values placed on our big three free agents?

pollard
ryans
daniels

as far as draft picks go?

Draft picks are 1st and 3rds on Ryans and Daniels, Pollard is a 1st.
Monetary values I don't know right now.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM
ZOMG!!!!!!!!!

IT"S ALMOST 11 HOURS IN AND WE HAVEN"T SIGNED ANYONE!!!!

PANIC!!!!

MISERY!!!!

DOOM!!!!!

DESPAIR!!!!!

(it's been a few minutes since someone panicked)

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 10:43 AM

what about walter?

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM

It's about $3.3 mil for Ryans and OD and $3 mil for Pollard.

what about walter?

Walter is UFA.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
what about walter?

He's unrestricted, meaning he's now free to sign where ever he chooses.

bignasty
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Why are we not front loading the hell out of Ryans contract this year for say like 6 years. That way he would get all of the guaranteed this year and small base salary the rest of the contract. This uncapped year only comes once, if you have the funds you should take the hit this year to put the best team out there you can NOW and make the following years a breeze.. While your at it, extend mario now with a big bump for this year...I have a feeling we are about to get the Reputation like the Jags, Titans, Rams for being a cheap azz franchise that will not do what ever it takes to win it all

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
If this team regresses this year because our owner wants to pad his pockets a little more. I will sell 4 of my PSL's and just keep my 2 bull pen seats. Mcnair to me is trying to be more like bud every day.

I hope he proves me wrong. This shit is making me ill

Gets it

Looking more and more like Bud every day.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
He's unrestricted, meaning he's now free to sign where ever he chooses.

just to be sure, we get a chance to match whatever offer he receives is that correct?

and if he goes elsewhere, we get no picks?

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
just to be sure, we get a chance to match whatever offer he receives is that correct?

and if he goes elsewhere, we get no picks?

No option to match unless he gives us the chance voluntarily and no compensation.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Walter can go anywhere he wants. If he wants to play near home he could sign with the Bears for even less money than what he made last season, if he so choses.

bignasty
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Did you notice that Colts did not give their MLB a chance to be picked up. He got signed to an extension

Porky
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Where's the beef? I make a special trip over to TT today and nothing. :slapfight:

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Where's the beef? I make a special trip over to TT today and nothing. :slapfight:

Beef? Pigs don't like beef

awtysst
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Golden Retrievers with Elvis wigs do!

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM

I thought I heard pigs were going to team up with the cows campaign:

http://www.jonathantoler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/chickfila01lg.jpg

http://www.theleek.net/articles/marketplace/images/google_cows.jpg

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Golden Retrievers with Elvis wigs do!

Yes, they very well do. :)

BIG TORO
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
All this chatter just makes me nervous!

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
What about this guy?

Dolphins | Wilson to be released
Comment (0)
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:03:21 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins will release FS Gibril Wilson Friday, March 5, according to his agent.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hK9WNnTe

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
What about this guy?

Comment (0)

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins will release FS Gibril Wilson Friday, March 5, according to his agent.

He brought nothing to the field in miami...if we signed him, it would be a depth move and nothing more. He was solid a couple years ago...just don't think he's the answer.

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
What about this guy?

Comment (0)

The fact that he has gotten fat contracts from Oakland and Miami and been released after the 1st year of each is not encouraging.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
What about this guy?

Comment (0)

I'd rather have this guy:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=979

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Why are we not front loading the hell out of Ryans contract this year for say like 6 years. That way he would get all of the guaranteed this year and small base salary the rest of the contract. This uncapped year only comes once, if you have the funds you should take the hit this year to put the best team out there you can NOW and make the following years a breeze.. While your at it, extend mario now with a big bump for this year...I have a feeling we are about to get the Reputation like the Jags, Titans, Rams for being a cheap azz franchise that will not do what ever it takes to win it all

Because that doesn't make sense for Demeco and he & his agent would never agree to that.

Cjeremy635
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm just nervous that we aren't atleast hearing anything encouraging regarding our current players being resigned. I'd love to pick up a key FA or two, but I'd really like to resign our core group of contributors. KW needs to stay, as well as Ryans, Pollard, and Daniels. If we didn't pick up anyone, I'd be fine with that....as long as we didn't lose those guys. I've just got a bad feeling, hope I'm wrong. Time to see how Rick Smith is going to earn his money.

bignasty
I agree we should be looking at Ryan from pittsburg or rolles from the cardinals at the S position....

El Tejano
I'd rather have this guy:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=979

Me too. He won't come here or we won't give up that much for him.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Because that doesn't make sense for Demeco and he & his agent would never agree to that.

why doesn't it make sense? demeco would get his guaranteed money and would get it all early.

you see the object of an NFL agent is to get as much money up front and early as possible. thus high initial season salary and high signing bonus is a double win for the agent.

sorry but in this case you couldn't be more wrong.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd gladly take Neal and Bodden and would able to sleep comfortable up until April.

getting neal and bodden would make you older at G, younger at CB, and lost your #2 WR overall for the FA early barrage. still a net loss, but it would at least be palatable.

IBleedTexans
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
why doesn't it make sense? demeco would get his guaranteed money and would get it all early.

you see the object of an NFL agent is to get as much money up front and early as possible. thus high initial season salary and high signing bonus is a double win for the agent.

Ok this makes sense for the player but not for bob . Think of it this way , what If meco get all this money upfront and decides to have a careless attitude about the rest of the years he's signed . Sorry but no thanks ! I'm not saying meco will do this but, hey it's happened before.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Ok this makes sense for the player but not for bob . Think of it this way , what If meco get all this money upfront and decides to have a careless attitude about the rest of the years he's signed . Sorry but no thanks ! I'm not saying meco will do this but, hey it's happened before.

but other teams are willing to take that risk and are ultimately improving their talent level. we are going the opposite route.

that is all i am saying. its being done and its smart move especially if you are so afraid of the cap as the Texans seem to be....even in an uncapped year.

total joke to this point, but things could change....just don't count on it.

McNair already said they weren't going to be players in this year's FA crop, and its playing out exactly that way.

nero THE zero
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I wonder what it is about the situations with Andre Johnson and Eric Winston that enabled them to sign lucrative extensions, but is preventing Ryans, Daniels and Pollard.

It's obviously not that McNair/Smith is unwilling to offer big contracts, because there is precedent to the contrary of that. I'm wondering if the FO is trying to wait-out the CBA mess, or if these three guys' agents (or maybe even DR) have put a bug in their ear.

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Ok this makes sense for the player but not for bob .

It's actually very common in the NFL to have the guaranteed money be predominately in the signing bonus which is given up front just like McNair did with the $12.5 mil he gave Smith to sign last year.

I wonder what it is about the situations with Andre Johnson and Eric Winston that enabled them to sign lucrative extensions, but is preventing Ryans, Daniels and Pollard.

It's obviously not that McNair/Smith is unwilling to offer big contracts, because there is precedent to the contrary of that. I'm wondering if the FO is trying to wait-out the CBA mess, or if these three guys' agents (or maybe even DR) have put a bug in their ear.

Maybe it's as simple as AJ and Eric were reasonable in their demands.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
It's actually very common in the NFL to have the guaranteed money be predominately in the signing bonus which is given up front just like McNair did with the $12.5 mil he gave Smith to sign last year.

Word. They accepted top 3 at their position money, while OD, Dumbta, and Meco turned it down.

noxiousdog
03-05-2010, 12:35 PM

I believe that for the salary portion, there are minimum raises that have to be involved so teams can't take advantage of salary cap holes like that; ie big spike years where they happen to have a lot of room.

Any signing bonus money is spread over the life of the contract.

TexanBacker93
03-05-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm not positive, but even if a team does that I think the prorated cap hit is still there each year. They just get the money up front. There's probably a way to give them most in one year and then not have a cap hit, but as I'm not a capologist I'm not sure on how to do it.

badboy
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Translated he really does not know for sure, but will keep parroting what he heard earlier in the off-season.At least McCalin got the MArio Williams pick right...snicker

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Any signing bonus money is spread over the life of the contract.

I'm not positive, but even if a team does that I think the prorated cap hit is still there each year. They just get the money up front. There's probably a way to give them most in one year and then not have a cap hit, but as I'm not a capologist I'm not sure on how to do it.

A signing bonus is pro-rated as an accounting function over the contract although paid up front. A roster bonus is all accounted for in the year paid.

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
No more Chester Taylor. Inked with the Bears.

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Chester Taylor reaches agreement with Bears on a four-year, $12.5 million deal that includes $7 million gtd in year one.

2slik4u
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Chester Taylor reaches agreement with Bears on a four-year, $12.5 million deal that includes $7 million gtd in year one.

looks like his dream of becoming a #1 back are once again spoiled. him and forte should make quite the tandom next year.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM

That seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Ckw
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm just nervous that we aren't atleast hearing anything encouraging regarding our current players being resigned. I'd love to pick up a key FA or two, but I'd really like to resign our core group of contributors. KW needs to stay, as well as Ryans, Pollard, and Daniels. If we didn't pick up anyone, I'd be fine with that....as long as we didn't lose those guys. I've just got a bad feeling, hope I'm wrong. Time to see how Rick Smith is going to earn his money.

Same here. I'm not happy. We aren't doing either of the things we need to do. If we did one and not the other, I could live with it. Those two things of course being resigning our own players and bringing in some players to improve the roster.

Actually, I am pretty pissed.

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:05 PM
That seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Thats a helluva deal to get a proven RB who only has 1,028 carries, and from what we can tell is a stand up citizen.

Thanks for passing Bob...

J_R
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
No over the hill RBs.:rolleyes: No worries. We'll get a guy in the 6th round of the draft and he'll become the stud RB we all dream of. :sarcasm:

nero THE zero
03-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Yea, I'd think that'd be part and parcel with the latter option.

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
The LT train has been pretty quiet lately. Noone barking up his tree.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are barking up Walter's tree now.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
yeah, if I were the Bengals I would rather have Walter instead of TO.

TO and Chad Johnson would be too much on one team. The team would spontaneously combust.

mattieuk
03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
The LT train has been pretty quiet lately. Noone barking up his tree.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are barking up Walter's tree now.

Thats because Jones and Taylor are/were on the market. LT won't get signed until about a week in IMO. It should lessen his price a little, especially as teams have known that he is going to be free to talk for a good few days now. I can't see LT getting a very big contract, which in turn, should interest the Texans more.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 01:19 PM

TO and Chad Johnson would be too much on one team. The team would spontaneously combust.

At least they'd be together to stroke each others egos

theanswer000
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I would rather have LT than any of them maybe Chester but he is gone already.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM

If the ball was thrown near both of them, you would have a fist fight over it. Me first type guys.

Studdard64
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
via Rotoworld.com:

:foottap:

b0ng
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
When in the world has Ocho been a me first type of guy? Because of his TD celebrations? Because the Bengals have historically sucked throughout his entire career and he has wanted out (until they re-signed him)?

T.O. has the big ego, Ocho is just fun.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
via Rotoworld.com:

Kasey.... Just say no to sausage parties! :hobie:

http://bearmythology.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/kasey-studdard-and-vince-young.jpg

badboy
03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Thats a helluva deal to get a proven RB who only has 1,028 carries, and from what we can tell is a stand up citizen.

Thanks for passing Bob...How do you know Texans passed? Can you verify Smith had a chance to make an offer and if so how much was turned down?

Pollardized
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Kasey.... Just say no to sausage parties! :hobie:

http://bearmythology.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/kasey-studdard-and-vince-young.jpg

Guy wearing the cap and white shirt: "Man who is this fat, white-azz honkey MoFo trying to get all up in our bidness???"

Shirtless guy on left: "I don't know, but Vince sure is sexy when he poses like that. Making my mouth water......"

Blake
03-05-2010, 02:00 PM
How do you Texans passed? Can you verify Smith had a chance to make an offer and if so how much was turned down?

The Texans passed by having McNair come out before Free Agency and saying we were not going to be big players.

McNair is not going to spend the money to get good players via FA, and the Free Agents know that.

Hell, we wont even get our best defender, Ryans, under contract cause we want to save money. The hell to everyone else including DeMeco.

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM

No you're absolutely right, I was thinking of something completely different by the time I got back to reply. For every contract there is a guaranteed portion and a salaried portion. Teams typically want to backload the contract with the higher salaried years b/c in the NFL they can release the player and not have to pay that part. If the player has a substantially higher salary in year 1, it's basically guaranteed b/c he's going to play that year.

Therefore, from a financial standpoint, the player has no incentive to player the remaining years. It doesn't make sense for the team to cut him b/c he makes next to nothing but if they did, said player could then negotiate a contract with another team and make 10x the amount he would have been making with us. This would not be good practice from the teams' standpoint. I know you know this but just talking it out.

No More 8-8's
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I dont know about yall, but this has to be the most boring Free Agent Friday ever. i know some FA got signed, but its been real quiet. especially with the texans, and could say the same thing about the cowboys too.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I dont know about yall, but this has to be the most boring Free Agent Friday ever. i know some FA got signed, but its been real quiet. especially with the texans, and could say the same thing about the cowboys too.

I'm not sure why anyone would've thought it was good to be a good FA period. It's been written on the wall for a very long time time.

But, we still get the knee-jerkin anyway. :rolleyes:

*edit: the last comment wasn't directed towards you

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would've thought it was good to be a good FA period. It's been written on the wall for a very long time time.

But, we still get the knee-jerkin anyway. :rolleyes:

*edit: the last comment wasn't directed towards you

We only get the knee-jerkin' because Bob McNair is too cheap. :gun:

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Most teams are kinda standing around waiting for the initial run end and for team to cut othr guys.

HOU-TEX

:stirpot: a little more why dontcha

JB

And doesnt care about winning!:bender:

Section516
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Free-agent CB Dunta Robinson will sign a multiyear contract with the Falcons by the end of the weekend, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The majority of the deal is in place, but details still need to be worked out. No problems are expected.

Robinson, who spent six seasons with the Texans, was targeted by the Falcons because the Georgia native would fill a glaring need.

The Falcons already brought back veteran CB Brian Williams, who was signed off the street last season and became the starter before a season-ending knee injury in Week 6.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/robinson-expected-to-sign-with-falcons-by-sunday/

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Free-agent CB Dunta Robinson will sign a multiyear contract with the Falcons by the end of the weekend, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The majority of the deal is in place, but details still need to be worked out. No problems are expected.

Robinson, who spent six seasons with the Texans, was targeted by the Falcons because the Georgia native would fill a glaring need.

The Falcons already brought back veteran CB Brian Williams, who was signed off the street last season and became the starter before a season-ending knee injury in Week 6.

Need a link to the article please.

Blake
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Sure McNair cares about winning. Just 1/2 as much as he cares about his profit margin.

:fingergun:

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
FYI, remember Antonio Smith was signed the day after FA period began last year (Feb 27nd, was signed the 28th).

No real need to worry, just weird seeing our starters get attention from other teams when we haven't done a thing.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I reckon Dunta could've made more scratch if he allowed his name to go further than Atlanta. Let teams bid you up then go back to the Atl for a price match. What a bonehead

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
FYI, remember Antonio Smith was signed the day after FA period began last year (Feb 27nd, was signed the 28th).

No real need to worry, just weird seeing our starters get attention from other teams when we haven't done a thing.

Signed,
S.S. Titanic

as for our FA interest, or lack thereof, who is really surprised? anyone who has paid attention to McNair's words and McNair's history should have known that Bob Spendthrift McNair wasn't going to spend any money. Let the other teams improve. We'll just lose 3 starters and make another Greenwood-type signing and all will be good.

oh and we'll even let our own FAs go away too....3 starters and counting.

McNair is cheap, TB. Just admit it. I know you like the guy but he is being cheap and its hurting our team's talent level. Anyone with half a brain knows that...and I know you have half a brain (at least) but maybe are too stubborn to admit that Bob is a cheap SOB

dtran04
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
It was where he wanted to go all along. Last year, he complained of the franchise tag not because he wasn't getting paid well, it was because he couldn't leave. It's why he was adamant about putting a clause in saying the Texans couldn't tag him twice. Guys that ask for that always leave.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
:stirpot: a little more why dontcha

He's ONLY worried about lining his pockets. :texanbill:

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I reckon Dunta could've made more scratch if he allowed his name to go further than Atlanta. Let teams bid you up then go back to the Atl for a price match. What a bonehead

I wonder if I'll be more pissed if he winds up getting more than the alleged contract we offered him (the 23m guaranteed) or if he gets less. I mean 23m was already going to be grossly overpaying but he is (was) one of our guys, I could have lived with that. Now if he winds up getting less then I guess he just didn't want to be around here anymore and that doesn't sit well with me.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Signed,
S.S. Titanic

as for our FA interest, or lack thereof, who is really surprised? anyone who has paid attention to McNair's words and McNair's history should have known that Bob Spendthrift McNair wasn't going to spend any money. Let the other teams improve. We'll just lose 3 starters and make another Greenwood-type signing and all will be good.

McNair is cheap, TB. Just admit it. I know you like the guy but he is being cheap and its hurting our team's talent level. Anyone with half a brain knows that...and I know you have half a brain (at least) but maybe are too stubborn to admit that Bob is a cheap SOB

You're becomming like a case of the crabs on your McNair and Carr rants. Very annoying and just don't quit.

We get it already!!

Mike Kerns
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Glad to see others here agree with me. I've been getting grilled at BRB all day for insinuating that McNair is beginning to get REALLY cheap.

Section516
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd at least like some news..Its the off season..

And i wouldn't mind Bodden. He at least knows what to do when the balls in the air and falling into his hands.

Blake
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
He's ONLY worried about lining his pockets. :texanbill:

Vandermeer: "Houston Texans, your thoughts…"

Baldinger: (chuckles) "Obviously Bob Mc Nair is content with mediocrity. The playoffs must not be that important... they’ve had four years to get it right. And I don’t know if they’re any better. I mean, when Matt Schaub plays like he did this year, plays 16 games they’re a pretty good team, but … to me … I don’t think they’re ever going to get it right."

Lopez: "I’m sensing that you think extending Gary Kubiak was a mistake."

Baldinger: "Like I said, if you want to go 8-8 (or) 9-7 and kind of just be at the brink, if that’s good enough, then that’s what you do, you stay with him. I don’t understand. Four years to get it right in this league to get it right is twice the eternity (?) that anybody really should get because you can win in this league right now – the Jets showed you. All you can do is keep stockpiling talent – tell me how they’re going to get better?"

JB
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
You're becomming like a case of the crabs on your McNair and Carr rants. Very annoying and just don't quit.

We get it already!!

:goodpost::fans::bravo::lol:

Mike Kerns
03-05-2010, 02:33 PM
@Adam_Schefter Before last year's trade deadline, Falcons tried to deal for Dunta. Now they can make a deal w/o surrendering pick.

Ouch...

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Vandermeer: "Houston Texans, your thoughts…"

Baldinger: (chuckles) "Obviously Bob Mc Nair is content with mediocrity. The playoffs must not be that important... they’ve had four years to get it right. And I don’t know if they’re any better. I mean, when Matt Schaub plays like he did this year, plays 16 games they’re a pretty good team, but … to me … I don’t think they’re ever going to get it right."

Lopez: "I’m sensing that you think extending Gary Kubiak was a mistake."

Baldinger: "Like I said, if you want to go 8-8 (or) 9-7 and kind of just be at the brink, if that’s good enough, then that’s what you do, you stay with him. I don’t understand. Four years to get it right in this league to get it right is twice the eternity (?) that anybody really should get because you can win in this league right now – the Jets showed you. All you can do is keep stockpiling talent – tell me how they’re going to get better?"

Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one. While I generally like Baldy's game analysis, I could give a damn about the rat's ass of his opinions on organizations as a whole.

Second Honeymoon

We get it already!!

i have been saying it for years, and now people are finally waking up to the fact that Bob McNair is a cheap moneygrubbing SOB who doesn't care about winning only lining his pockets with gold coins.

at least i am not alone in this feeling, let the Sunshine Club wallow in losing 3 starters in the first 12 hours and doing nothing to improve the situation....

but were going to build through the draft...of course, other teams do both but that would take a commitment to winning and not the almight dollar.

hope that helps. try a bigger font next time, like this

BOB McNAIR SUCKS

The Pencil Neck
:pissed:
:slapfight:
:firehair:

We talk about this stuff for months in thread after thread and there's never a single player that we'd all be happy about. And then when the day comes and a few teams are making big splashy moves that probably aren't going to improve them all that much and we've got people freaking out because we're not being stupid.

I am just really glad that most of you guys aren't in our FO. We'd have a team that would be the biggest joke in the NFL ever. We'd be worse than the Raiders and the Redskins with all the panicking that's going on here.

I think our FO wants to win and I don't think they're cheap.

dtran04
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
So in an uncapped year, the Redskins are surprisingly quiet. For once, the Redskins aren't "champions of free agency". For now, the offseason championship is between the Bears and the Lions. Whether or not those teams even get into the playoffs is another story....

dalemurphy
Signed,
S.S. Titanic

Perhaps you're right. If in an uncapped year, we allow Kevin Walter to walk out of here for a moderate deal, if we don't sign a top level FA after letting Dunta walk, and we don't extend guys like Demeco, OD, Pollard... then, I will be inclined to agree with you.

However, I think the reality is that the local sports media coverage is SH*T! We aren't hearing what they are doing because McClain is so smug and lazy and because there is nobody else in the city covering the team, apparently. I've been begging McClain to find out about KW contract negotiations. He said nothing was happening. Now, as it turns out, it turns out the Texans are "trying hard" to keep him all week. McClain said that we won't go after Bodden. Now, he says, we are.

We'll see, but I think we just aren't being told about the activity that his happening at Reliant. Let's see where we are in a week!

Texan_Bill
We get it already!!

Why are you YELLING?

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM

We talk about this stuff for months in thread after thread and there's never a single player that we'd all be happy about. And then when the day comes and a few teams are making big splashy moves that probably aren't going to improve them all that much and we've got people freaking out because we're not being stupid.

I am just really glad that most of you guys aren't in our FO. We'd have a team that would be the biggest joke in the NFL ever. We'd be worse than the Raiders and the Redskins with all the panicking that's going on here.

losing 3 starters and doing nothing to retain them or replace them = cheap

sorry, but not improving your team is being cheap and is not committed to winning. words are cheap just like Bob. Show the commitment with your wallet and with your actions.

we are still waiting...

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Most teams are kinda standing around waiting for the initial run end and for team to cut othr guys.

This is what excites me about this offseason. There's going to be guys that teams cut due to contract/financial reasons. I suspect we'll pick up a few quality guys this route.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one. While I generally like Baldy's game analysis, I could give a damn about the rat's ass of his opinions on organizations as a whole.

its a question Bill. how is losing 3 starters and not doing anything else, and re-signing a .500 coach going to make us better?

simple question....yeah, yeah, build through the draft.

last time i checked dunta and pitts were through the draft.

this organization is a joke and today and tomorrow (weeks ahead) will only prove that further

but hey we already got to the valhalla of 9-7...mission accomplished..throw another parade, fans.

whoopty freaking doo

dalemurphy
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
its a question Bill. how is losing 3 starters and not doing anything else, and re-signing a .500 coach going to make us better?

this organization is a joke and today and tomorrow (weeks ahead) will only prove that further

but hey we already got to the valhall of 9-7...throw another parade, fans.

whoopty freaking doo

SH, I'm inclined to bouts of panic as well. But, just because you are terrified that something is going to happen, doesn't mean that it well. Let's see if they keep KW and let's see what they do with guys like Bodden, Rolle( maybe), and others before passing judgement.

Blake
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM

So if you dont give a damn about a 3rd party's opinion about your football team, whos opinion do you give a damn about?

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
So in an uncapped year, the Redskins are surprisingly quiet. For once, the Redskins aren't "champions of free agency". For now, the offseason championship is between the Bears and the Lions. Whether or not those teams even get into the playoffs is another story....

Because Mike Shanahan has enough nads to tell Snyder that his way sux and to shut up and pay attention.

djohn2oo8
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Pitts is out. My guess is Neal will sign here. No word on Bodden.

http://twitter.com/LanceZierlein

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM

but hey we already got to the valhalla of 9-7...mission accomplished..throw another parade, fans.

whoopty freaking doo

We haven't technically lost 3 players. Walter is negotiating right now and something will be worked out for DeMeco. Pitts still may resign. Lastly, I wouldn't overspend on O.D. until he proves he is fully recovered from his knee injury, see Dunta.

I bet there are over-reacting fans (not unlike yourself) in San Diego after the Tomlinson and Sproles thing. I bet there are fans whining (not unlike yourself) in Tennessee for losing Vanden Douche, etc., etc., etc......

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM

If we don't replace them (meaning Pitts, Walter and Dunta) then chances are we won't be any better. It's a damn good thing that Smith has about 190 more days until the first game. FA just started and people already think its over and our team is set for next year!

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
SH, I'm inclined to bouts of panic as well. But, just because you are terrified that something is going to happen, doesn't mean that it well. Let's see if they keep KW and let's see what they do with guys like Bodden, Rolle( maybe), and others before passing judgement.

ok, i will. you can go ahead and rule out rolle though.

this penny pinching nickel and diming has just got to stop some day.

Taylor was best RB available in the crop. Only cost $3million per. How can Bob not spend $3 million to improve a proven need when we have already shaved about $20 million off 2010 payroll.

sorry, dm. i am a little pissed but thanks for not pooh-poohing the cynic in me for being honest about things to this point. much appreciated.

fwiw - i still have my Dale Murphy Rawlings glove to this day. About 25 years old and still in great shape.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
So if you dont give a damn about a 3rd party's opinion about your football team, whos opinion do you give a damn about?

Mine.

That includes when the talking heads are saying good things about our team.

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
this penny pinching nickel and diming has just got to stop some day.

Taylor was best RB available in the crop. Only cost $3million per. How can Bob not spend $3 million to improve a proven need when we have already shaved about $20 million off 2010 payroll.

Who's to say we didn't offer him that? Is there a quote out there from Smith or McNair that says exactly what they offered if anything? I'm thinking they're going about their business and aren't worried about telling us fans their business. 30 other teams are probably saying the same thing: "so and so player signed with that team... why didn't we offer them that? our owner sucks"

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Who's to say we didn't offer him that? Is there a quote out there from Smith or McNair that says exactly what they offered if anything? I'm thinking they're going about their business and aren't worried about telling us fans their business. 30 other teams are probably saying the same thing: "so and so player signed with that team... why didn't we offer them that? our owner sucks"

if we wanted to sign him, we would have brought him to our facilities from the outset of FA. its not like the guy was asking for that much money.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
If we don't replace them (meaning Pitts, Walter and Dunta) then chances are we won't be any better. It's a damn good thing that Smith has about 190 more days until the first game. FA just started and people already think its over and our team is set for next year!

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Texans Fan: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Texans Fan, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd like to retain Kevin Walter but is anyone else a little excited about the possibility of Jacoby becoming a starter? Yes there is some risk but he could bust out in a huge way.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I love it. In what is considered to be one of the worst FA periods in years, people are still complaining that we aren't the Redskins, will wonders never cease.

I'd still like the team to look at Thomas Jones at RB, but in all honesty, none of the FA available are making me jump up and down going OH YEAH YEAH US US US PLEAAAAASE.

Next on the docket will be complaining about the draft, then on deck we have grossly exaggerating rules and routines for mini-camps in order to make fans feel bad for being positive about the Texans.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
why are you yelling?

loud noises!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember, the bears can smell the menstrations.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
No over the hill RBs.:rolleyes: No worries. We'll get a guy in the 6th round of the draft and he'll become the stud RB we all dream of. :sarcasm:

Not to worry. We'll just go after someone who won't even make it up the hill.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
So, we as fans kill McNair for signing an old RB, then kill him for NOT signing an old RB...? Nice...

b0ng
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100303/SPORTS0101/3030433/1126/RB-Thomas-Jones-will-sign-with-Lions--SI-writer-predicts.

He would've been nice :/

Texan_Bill
Remember, the bears can smell the menstrations.

Plenty of that going on around here ^^^^

wagonhed
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Just a thought:

Why aren't people paying more attention to what teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers are doing and comparing that to the Texans, instead of looking all the mediocre or downright bad teams making the big splashes right now? Obviously fans want to see big, exciting signings at big, exciting positions, but personally I'd rather have the FO emulate the teams that consistently win. And in this case, that means playing the waiting game.

BigBull17
Plenty of that going on around here ^^^^

QFT. Very funny.

Mike Kerns
I'd like to retain Kevin Walter but is anyone else a little excited about the possibility of Jacoby becoming a starter? Yes there is some risk but he could bust out in a huge way.

I'm in that small camp. I think he deserves the chance. He made some huge plays last year catching the ball.

Tailgate
if we wanted to sign him, we would have brought him to our facilities from the outset of FA. its not like the guy was asking for that much money.

Because it seems to me they would rather spend a first or second round pick in the draft on a RB and keep him for a long time as opposed to committing to a 31 year old running back. Who the frack knows if Chester Taylor would have even wanted to come here in the first place. There are so many variables that are unknown to all for you to be so stern on your judgments.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Just a thought:

Why aren't people paying more attention to what teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers are doing and comparing that to the Texans, instead of looking all the mediocre or downright bad teams making the big splashes right now? Obviously fans want to see big, exciting signings at big, exciting positions, but personally I'd rather have the FO emulate the teams that consistently win. And in this case, that means playing the waiting game.

You, my friend, just recieved a slow clap. :clap:

djohn2oo8
Five teams who will be heard from

• Houston -- After finally scratching their way to the first winning record in the franchise's eight-year history, the Texans can't just sit back and get complacent. They're going to lose both No. 2 receiver Kevin Walter (probably to Baltimore) and starting cornerback Dunta Robinson (probably to Atlanta), and they also finished out of the money in the pursuit of Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch (who they coveted, but signed with Detroit).

I'm not sure who they're after, and how much they'll spend, but the Texans have to make a dent in this market somewhere. If only to make sure they keep their forward progress alive.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/05/free.agency.tracker/index.html

Ckw

I think what is the most upsetting for most people, or at least for me, is that we haven't made any significant progress with the leader of our defense Demeco Ryans. He has laid it all out on the line for this team and IMO, the man is the 2nd best MLB in the game behind Patrick Willis. He deserves to get paid like it.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm in that small camp. I think he deserves the chance. He made some huge plays last year catching the ball.

I still cringe when I see him attempting to catch the ball but it would be interesting to see what JJ can do taking most of the snaps.

LonerATO
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Many of these teams that are signing players have horrible rosters and are trying to rebuild. Hell look at the Bears and the fact that they dont have a pick till the 3rd round and not winning the NFC North or make the playoffs will cost him his job. The Texans need to not be cheap with their own players and trying to act like the Colts or Pats when it comes to the Texans players just doesnt work.

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
and they also finished out of the money in the pursuit of Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch (who they coveted, but signed with Detroit).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/05/free.agency.tracker/index.html

Wait, what? We were after KVB?

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM

No way. They're just makin shit up.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Five teams who will be heard from

• Houston -- After finally scratching their way to the first winning record in the franchise's eight-year history, the Texans can't just sit back and get complacent. They're going to lose both No. 2 receiver Kevin Walter (probably to Baltimore) and starting cornerback Dunta Robinson (probably to Atlanta), and they also finished out of the money in the pursuit of Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch (who they coveted, but signed with Detroit).

I'm not sure who they're after, and how much they'll spend, but the Texans have to make a dent in this market somewhere. If only to make sure they keep their forward progress alive.

Whether the Texans coveted him or not, KVB to Detroit was a done deal as soon as Schwartz got ahold of him. And where is the dent we are supposed to make? I think getting Neal would be good just for how great he is on screen passes, if we followed it up by getting Bodden I would be perfectly happy with FA this year.

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
So, we as fans kill McNair for signing an old RB, then kill him for NOT signing an old RB...? Nice...

Bull, there is a huge difference in the signing.

Chester Taylor is 30 years old, has 1,028 career carries, and has only been the premier back on his team for one season. He signed a 4 year deal worth 12.5 million dollars.

Ahman Green was 31 years old, had 1900 career carries, and was the feature back for 6 seasons. He signed a 4 year deal worth 23 million dollars.

Not the same thing at all. But if you want to keep comparing apples to oranges, then go ahead.

Mike Kerns
03-05-2010, 03:09 PM

They have to be. Eric Winston and KVB would implode the universe if they had to practice together.

Mike Kerns
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Bull, there is a huge difference in the signing.

Chester Taylor is 30 years old, has 1,028 career carries, and has only been the premier back on his team for one season. He signed a 4 year deal worth 12.5 million dollars.

Ahman Green was 31 years old, had 1900 career carries, and was the feature back for 6 seasons. He signed a 4 year deal worth 23 million dollars.

Not the same thing at all. But if you want to keep comparing apples to oranges, then go ahead.

Plus Ahman Green had missed time with injuries for 4 consecutive seasons beforehand.

Shaft75

Winston would've blown a gasket.

Texan_Bill
They have to be. Eric Winston and KVB would implode the universe if they had to practice together.

They weren't bullshittin'! It's just that the Texans were too cheap.

For those not familiar with my facetiousness.
That was dripping wet in :sarcasm:

Blake
Many of these teams that are signing players have horrible rosters and are trying to rebuild. Hell look at the Bears and the fact that they dont have a pick till the 3rd round and not winning the NFC North or make the playoffs will cost him his job. The Texans need to not be cheap with their own players and trying to act like the Colts or Pats when it comes to the Texans players just doesnt work.

Thats what happens on REAL playoff caliber NFL teams when you dont win in the NFL. In happy land down on Kirby Dr. we give out contract extensions for almost good seasons.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Thats what happens on REAL playoff caliber NFL teams when you dont win in the NFL. In happy land down on Kirby Dr. we give out contract extensions for almost good seasons.

Yes because THIS needs to be brought up in yet another thread :headslap:

wagonhed
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
anyone hear/know anything about this guy:

Rob Sims (RFA), G, Seahawks. Age: 26.
Tendered by Seahawks (4th round)

One of the few bright spots on Seattle's offensive line.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM

AFC South> NFC North

Not everything is cookie cutter.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Just McClain trying to make a couple of bucks on the side as a ghost writer.:secret:

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
AFC South> NFC North

Not everything is cookie cutter.

"Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one."

Ole Miss Texan
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
My point is that we don't have the privelage of knowing what's going on. It's all blind assertions that carry no weight. It just as easily could have been that Rick Smith called Taylor's agent and inquired about him coming to visit. Agent responds, we're very interested, Houston looks to be a great opportunity for Chester, let's line something up for early next week. We have a visit on Friday and will fly to Houston on Monday. Chester meets with the Bears where he already knows some players well, loves the city and signs with them.

But our jump-to-conclusions mat says, "McClain hasn't reported that Chester is visiting Houston nor has there been a report that expresses the Texans have a firm interest in Taylor and/or will offer him X amount of $'s... therefore McNair is a cheap SOB and is running this franchise into the ground."

I think I must be one of the few that thinks if we don't close on a high profile FA 12 hours into free agency that we still have a fighting chance to improve our team. I think everyone is just so desperate for a winning team that no news is bad news... and I DO understand that. I wish we could all know more about the inner workings of Kubiak/Smith/McNair but at the end of the day it's probably better they don't discuss much with the media.

Carr Bombed
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM

And some stink less than others. The AFC South is clearly better than the NFC North.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey lets talk about how the Texans FO and Bob McNair being happy with mediocrity in the Free Agency thread because that topic hasn't been covered anywhere else.

Guys?

Guys?

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Tru dat, however 38-26> 32-32.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Jesus H. Free Agency Christ, does every damn thread around here have to be a McNair bashing thread? It's getting old, real old.

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm interested in the Leigh Bodden situation.

G GS TCKL Int FF
2009 New England Patriots 15 14 55 5 1
2008 Detroit Lions 16 15 73 1 3
2007 Cleveland Browns 16 16 88 6 0
2006 Cleveland Browns 9 9 30 2 1
2005 Cleveland Browns 13 11 56 3 2

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey lets talk about how the Texans FO and Bob McNair being happy with mediocrity in the Free Agency thread because that topic hasn't been covered anywhere else.

Guys?

Guys?

Yeah

But the truth hurts doesn't it?

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm interested in the Leigh Bodden situation.

G GS TCKL Int FF
2009 New England Patriots 15 14 55 5 1
2008 Detroit Lions 16 15 73 1 3
2007 Cleveland Browns 16 16 88 6 0
2006 Cleveland Browns 9 9 30 2 1
2005 Cleveland Browns 13 11 56 3 2

How in the hell can I space that the right way? It comes out pretty sloppy.

Carr Bombed
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah

Nobody around here knows the "truth", just a whole bunch of assumptions and you know what they say about assumptions...

Carr Bombed
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
How in the hell can I space that the right way? It comes out pretty sloppy.

Use a whole bunch of "......" and then white it out with the color tab.

Like this... G......S......INT......FF

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Jesus H. Free Agency Christ, does every damn thread around here have to be a McNair bashing thread? It's getting old, real old.

C'mon Thorn, join in on the fun... McNair is cheap. McNair sucks!! :blah: :blah: :blah: :gun:

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

:spin:

The Pencil Neck
03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I'd like to take a moment to point out that we signed KW as a fairly unheralded free agent to begin with. The gems aren't always the guys with the names everyone knows.

b0ng

the [ code ] [ / code ] tag also works well.

Blake
Nobody around here knows the "truth", just a whole bunch of assumptions and you know what they say about assumptions...

You will make an ass outta yourself, and the ump will shun you.

CloakNNNdagger

Same phenomenon occuring to Texans fans while waiting for a playoff birth.:headhurts:

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah

I really don't give a shit who thinks the truth is what. This is the free agency thread, I'm sure some poster has started a McNair sucks thread somewhere on here, there's no need to spill all of that garbage all over the forums.

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Until the Texans make the playoffs I"ve got a feeling this will continue.

BTW Speaking of getting old, I've gotten 8 yrs older with no playoffs.

I've got a ? for you

Is billionaire Bob a realy dumb guy when it comes to the ways of the NFL?

Or is billionaire Bob a cheapskate?

Which one is it?

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
C'mon Thorn, join in on the fun... McNair is cheap. McNair sucks!! :blah: :blah: :blah: :gun:

Damn you defend McNair like he is your Grandpa. Have an original though for once. What has McNair done for you that you will go to war for him?

8 years of awful to mediocre football. THANK YOU MCNAIR!!!

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
i really don't give a shit who thinks the truth is what. This is the free agency thread, i'm sure some poster has started a mcnair sucks thread somewhere on here, there's no need to spill all of that garbage all over the forums.

iyho

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I really don't give a shit who thinks the truth is what. This is the free agency thread, I'm sure some poster has started a McNair sucks thread somewhere on here, there's no need to spill all of that garbage all over the forums.

If McNair's free agent spending habits dont belong in the Texans Free Agency Chatter, then where the hell does it belong?

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Damn you defend McNair like he is your Grandpa. Have an original though for once. What has McNair done for you that you will go to war for him?

8 years of awful to mediocre football. THANK YOU MCNAIR!!!

8 years of football none the less. What did you have here before pal?

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I've got a ? for you

Which one is it?

That cheapskate saved you about 8 years without football. Remember it was that cheapskate that brought football back here otherwise we would've been 15 years removed from having a team. Remember that??

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM

True

But I know 8-8 when I see it.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM

I've got a ? for you

Which one is it?

I don't have an answer for you because I don't know. Even if McNair is not a good owner, or Kubiak is not a great coach, I'm still glad we have football back in town. And we are NOT or even close to being the worst organization in football.

And now you've dragged me into this and I wasn't going to be. Crap, it's time to go home and start drinking. It's Friday after all.