PDA

View Full Version : Texan Free Agency Chatter

Pages : 1 [2]

The Pencil Neck
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM
How in the hell can I space that the right way? It comes out pretty sloppy.

G GS TCKL Int FF
2009 New England Patriots 15 14 55 5 1
2008 Detroit Lions 16 15 73 1 3
2007 Cleveland Browns 16 16 88 6 0
2006 Cleveland Browns 9 9 30 2 1
2005 Cleveland Browns 13 11 56 3 2

What's the problem?

Blake
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
8 years of football none the less. What did you have here before pal?

Besides my season ticket dues?

I lived in Austin. Longhorn Football is 10 fold better than Texans football.

b0ng
If McNair's free agent spending habits dont belong in the Texans Free Agency Chatter, then where the hell does it belong?

It's basically thinly veiled McNair bashing again and again because some people don't get enough. I don't think the Free Agency thread needs a "McNair sucks because he won't spend money" every 3rd post because THAT particular point has been brought up time and again already. How about the Free Agency thread be for new news about Free Agency? Can we have that or should we just turn every thread that we possibly can into a debate on McNair's spending habits and Kubiak extensions?

Shaft75
You can all thank Bob for this forum too.

It's true... There wouldn't be a TexansTalk without the Texans. And the Texans wouldn't be, without McNair.

JB
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't have an answer for you because I don't know. Even if McNair is not a good owner, or Kubiak is not a great coach, I'm still glad we have football back in town. And we are NOT or even close to being the worst organization in football.

And now you've dragged me into this and I wasn't going to be. Crap, it's time to go home and start drinking. It's Friday after all.

Qft!! :barman:

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Fantastic. Lets hope you post for 8 years about how much you don't like McNair. It'd be so refreshing.

HuttoKarl

Remember all the Bashing Mack Brown took? Coach February?

Longhorn football has had plenty of people whining too.

Grams
Damn you defend McNair like he is your Grandpa. Have an original though for once. What has McNair done for you that you will go to war for him?

8 years of awful to mediocre football. THANK YOU MCNAIR!!!

He brought football back to Houston.

How many years have the Lions, Brown, Saints (before this year) been mediocre?

You guys just like bashing someone because He does not do what you think he should?

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
True

But I know 8-8 when I see it.

Why are you thinking about 2 seasons ago? :thinking:

J_R
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
There are reports the Texans have lined up cornerback Leigh Bodden for an interview. They have talked to his agent, but no interview has been lined up as of today. They're not expected to bring in free agents before Monday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+houstonchronicle/spfbtxfront+(HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Foo

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
That cheapskate saved you about 8 years without football. Remember it was that cheapskate that brought football back here otherwise we would've been 15 years removed from having a team. Remember that??

A losing team, that was bought by bottom line guy.

Lets just call him Bud McNair.

When Bud did the same thing Bob is doing he was run out of town on a rail. (takig profit) The difference is Bud did it to the tax payers using the Astrodome as leverage and Bob is using Reliant as his mechanism to put it to the populace.

There's really not much difference between the two. But not having a team should make fans have to worship at emperor Bob's feet.

Nawzer
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't understand the hate coming from some guys. What did you expect us to do? The guys we are loosing are guys we who haven't performed well for us. Except for Kevin Walter, I'm not overly upset that we let Dunta and Chester Pitts go. And KW might still sign with us. Our main goal right now should be to sign OD, DeMeco, Pollard to new deals. It's the first day in free agency and the teams making the big splash are teams that are bad. Look at the Lions and Bears, two teams that were bad last year and they need to make big signings to appease their fan base and save jobs. The Texans will sign some guys, but just give it some time.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

When Bud did the same thing Bob is doing he was run out of town on a rail. (takig profit) The difference is Bud did it to the tax payers using the Astrodome as leverage and Bob is using Reliant as his mechanism to put to the populace.

There's really not much difference between the two.

Hey you two guys can give me your PSL's and season tickets since you are so upset with it all.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
It's coming from the Gobbler, so take it FWIW.

The Houston Chronicle disputes rumors that the Texans have lined up a free agent visit for CB Leigh Bodden.

We've not seen this rumor, but Bodden's market is heating up with Dunta Robinson all set to sign with Atlanta. The Chronicle does confirm that the Texans have contacted Bodden's agent. The Patriots have interest in retaining their top corner, but Houston, Pittsburgh, and Seattle are in the mix.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+houstonchronicle/spfbtxfront+(HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Foo

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 03:58 PM

When Bud did the same thing Bob is doing he was run out of town on a rail. (takig profit) The difference is Bud did it to the tax payers using the Astrodome as leverage and Bob is using Reliant as his mechanism to put to the populace.

There's really not much difference between the two.

I don't care how rich you are, $750,000,000.00 is not cheap. BTW, most business men are "bottom line" guys, otherwise they wouldn't be in business very long.

By that logic, all 31 other team's owners are the same.

Pantherstang84
03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
He brought football back to Houston.

How many years have the Lions, Brown, Saints (before this year) been mediocre?

You guys just like bashing someone because He does not do what you think he should?

No fair bringing clear thought and logic onto a message board. You should know better.:firehair:

b0ng
03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
It's coming from the Gobbler, so take it FWIW.

So the Chronicle can't get their own sports writers on the same page? I'm not shocked.

I'm really hoping that we can land Bodden, but honestly if he wants more than what Dunta wanted last off season I don't know. That will hurt once (if) the salary cap comes back.

Pollardized
03-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Let's not forget that longhorn football produced these 2 assclowns:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/4180/vince20520bx.jpg

badboy
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
My point is that we don't have the privelage of knowing what's going on. It's all blind assertions that carry no weight. It just as easily could have been that Rick Smith called Taylor's agent and inquired about him coming to visit. Agent responds, we're very interested, Houston looks to be a great opportunity for Chester, let's line something up for early next week. We have a visit on Friday and will fly to Houston on Monday. Chester meets with the Bears where he already knows some players well, loves the city and signs with them.

But our jump-to-conclusions mat says, "McClain hasn't reported that Chester is visiting Houston nor has there been a report that expresses the Texans have a firm interest in Taylor and/or will offer him X amount of $'s... therefore McNair is a cheap SOB and is running this franchise into the ground."

I think I must be one of the few that thinks if we don't close on a high profile FA 12 hours into free agency that we still have a fighting chance to improve our team. I think everyone is just so desperate for a winning team that no news is bad news... and I DO understand that. I wish we could all know more about the inner workings of Kubiak/Smith/McNair but at the end of the day it's probably better they don't discuss much with the media.Excellent post but few will agree. I want what I want and I want it now especially if someone else is paying is the mantra of some.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
So the Chronicle can't get their own sports writers on the same page? I'm not shocked.

I'm really hoping that we can land Bodden, but honestly if he wants more than what Dunta wanted last off season I don't know. That will hurt once (if) the salary cap comes back.

Well, if we did bring him in at a higher cost, it'd be clear as day that Dunta and Smith had some real problems. I'm beginning to think that anyway. Smith just didn't want Dunta back no matter what.

Just my opinion, of course

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Damn you defend McNair like he is your Grandpa. Have an original though for once. What has McNair done for you that you will go to war for him?

No. I know the man's made mistakes but to call the guy cheap is asinine. I also know that without him it would be 15 years now with NO football, which also means no tailgating, which also means no passion for the NFL, which ultimately means boring ass Sundays.

badboy
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM

There's really not much difference between the two. But not having a team should make fans have to worship at emperor Bob's feet.Man you are re-writing history! Adams got a tremendous sweet heart deal from Tennessee. Fans were mad at him but he was not run out on a rail.

whiskeyrbl
03-05-2010, 04:07 PM

If it wasn't for McNair we would not even be having this conversation. 8 years of bad to mediocre football is better than NO football which is what we would have had.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
No. I know the man's made mistakes but to call the guy cheap is asinine. I also know that without him it would be 15 years now with NO football, which also means no tailgating, which also means no passion for the NFL, which ultimately means boring ass Sundays.

Bottom Line for me (because I'm a business guy): I would rather suffer from medicore football than to suffer from NO football...

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
If it wasn't for McNair we would not even be having this conversation. 8 years of bad to mediocre football is better than NO football which is what we would have had.
Bottom Line for me (because I'm a business guy): I would rather suffer from medicore football than to suffer from NO football...

Get outta my head! :cowboy1:

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
You can all thank Bob for this forum too.

It's true... There wouldn't be a TexansTalk without the Texans. And the Texans wouldn't be, without McNair.

Shaft,

Maybe we'd be without the Texans. But TexansTalk was formed by Hookem and a handful others in response to a fan unfriendly, non responsive original HoustonTexans message board. Despite a long line of unheard complaints directed to the Texans, and with direct appeals to McNair (including my own), it fell on deaf ears............Hence, the fortune of what we all now enjoy.:texflag:

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Man you are re-writing history! Adams got a tremendous sweet heart deal from Tennessee. Fans were mad at him but he was not run out on a rail.

Revisionist history always betters an argument.

:sarcasm:

b0ng
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, if we did bring him in at a higher cost, it'd be clear as day that Dunta and Smith had some real problems. I'm beginning to think that anyway. Smith just didn't want Dunta back no matter what.

Just my opinion, of course

I suppose being one of like 3 CB's even available will also raise his price somewhat. Still, if you aren't going to re-sign Dunta then you turn around and give this guy a bigger contract it makes the GM look like an asshole more than anything else.

Oh well, my feelings on it right now are that Bodden will end up signing somewhere else, Neal will re-sign with the Pats and fans here will continue to rage against the machine.

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Shaft,

Maybe we'd be without the Texans. But TexansTalk was formed by Hookem and a handful others in response to a fan unfriendly, non responsive original HoustonTexans message board. Despite a long line of unheard complaints directed to the Texans, and with direct appeals to McNair (including my own), it fell on deaf ears............Hence, the fortune of what we all now enjoy.:texflag:

I meant in an indirect way.

Hookem and others are to thank directly. That's why I try and contribute when I can.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Shaft,

IIRC TexansTalk was originally created by Hookem for the Blue Crewers and FILO. :thinking:

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

I grant you your first wish. You have 2 more.

-------Bob McNair

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
IIRC TexansTalk was originally created by Hookem for the Blue Crewers and FILO. :thinking:

:clap:

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I grant you your first wish. You have 2 more.

-------Bob McNair

Next: Playoffs.

Third: Super Bowl Victory before the Tinnbreds.

:D

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Next: Playoffs.

Third: Super Bowl Victory before the Tinnbreds.

How can you do this with being so cheap in free agency?

Signed,
Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Arizona....

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
How can you do this with being so cheap in free agency?

Signed,
Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Arizona....

:lol:

Don't forget us!

Signed,

the Patriots.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 04:20 PM

You're correct, but if you remember, it was not until the events I chronicled that there was a WHOLESALE migration from the "official" site to TexansTalk, making it the best message board in the entire NFL.:fans:

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:23 PM
You're correct, but if you remember, it was not until the events I chronicled that there was a WHOLESALE migration from the "official" site to TexansTalk, making it the best message board in the entire NFL.:fans:

Absolutely, you're correct about the migration. I was merely pointing out TexansTalk's existence prior to said migration.

J_R
03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Texans bringing in Wade Smith. Versatile O-linemen who can play G and C.

McClain_on_NFL Texans bringing n chiefs G Wade Smith, 8-year veteran, this weekend.

Carr Bombed
03-05-2010, 04:39 PM
LOL at people jumping off cliffs 16 hours into FA. :rolleyes:

False Start
03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

McClain_on_NFL Texans bringing n chiefs G Wade Smith, 8-year veteran, this weekend.

Is this McClain? You sure do seem to post a lot of his messages.

Just kidding BTW. :shades:

J_R
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Hah no. I'm just reporting/passing along what I see out there.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
LOL at people jumping off cliffs 16 hours into FA. :rolleyes:

16 hours ago? I was under the impression free agency started at 12:01 (Eastern) today? :thinking:

awtysst
03-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Smith is a Starting caliber G(was #23 overall). So that is a solis potential starter. If we sign him, I can see him starting at LG next to Brown and Caldwell starting at RG next to Winston with Myers in the Middle.

Cjeremy635
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
16 hours ago? I was under the impression free agency started at 12:01 (Eastern) today? :thinking:

Where's your military time Bill? 4:00 pm is 1600 hours, which mean 16 hours after midnight.

NVM.....saw you had the "eastern" time zone referance. My bad.....

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Smith is a Starting caliber G(was #23 overall). So that is a solis potential starter. If we sign him, I can see him starting at LG next to Brown and Caldwell starting at RG next to Winston with Myers in the Middle.

I was okay until the bolded part.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM

If the Texans could draft a guy to start that'd be great, but I don't know if there are players like that in this years draft (Would've loved to have had a shot at Unger in the 2nd last year).

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I just want to throw up when I see an article that says the Texans are high on Studdard. I love the heart, but man that dude sucks.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Apparently Wade Smith can play all but 1 position along the Oline. Which 1 that is, I don't know. LT?

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Apparently Wade Smith can play all but 1 position along the Oline. Which 1 that is, I don't know. LT?

:user: What if he played RT for a left handed QB? :kitten:

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I need a beer.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I need a beer.

Or 15....

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Or 15....

Yes

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM

It's Hell when the middle of the sandwich tastes so much like *^#&.:chef:

Shaft75
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Or 15....

Which reminds me, BOB MCNAIR and his freakin overpriced beer.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Which reminds me, BOB MCNAIR and his freakin overpriced beer.

What are you, a cheapskate??

:stirpot:

Thorn
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Granted, it's an internet message board, and everyone has their right to post whatever they want. Let me just get that out of the way first.

Now then, I was part of the "Fire Kubiak" club, but didn't wear the soap after all the crap I took when me and Tex swapped avatars for a few days. Seems some folks don't know me unless the see The Sarge beside my post. In any case, screw all this crap.

The Texans are what they are, and also what you personally see that they are. And I see a team that has been slowly, VERY VERY slowly, improving. But improving none the less. I like my team, and now that Kubiak is here for a while, I'm going to support him and McNair both. I'm not normally one to take the high road on things, but to much negativity can push me in that direction, and that's whats happened here.

I'm putting on my rose colored glasses and drinking me some beer. :fans:

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Just a thought:

Why aren't people paying more attention to what teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers are doing and comparing that to the Texans, instead of looking all the mediocre or downright bad teams making the big splashes right now? Obviously fans want to see big, exciting signings at big, exciting positions, but personally I'd rather have the FO emulate the teams that consistently win. And in this case, that means playing the waiting game.

well for one, if people stopped making excuses and rationalizations for a moment, you would know that playoff teams can't make any free agent moves outside of their roster until they lose a player. That being said, the Colts did re-sign their UFA Brackett (unlike us with Walter, Dunta, and Pitts) and the Patriots look to be the front runner for Boldin (they didn't make the 2nd Round of playoffs so they have less constraints)

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm putting on my rose colored glasses and drinking me some beer. :fans:

Yeah, there's a freakin' surprise!! :shades:

Thorn will be posting in the drunk thread in just a wee little bit.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
C'mon Thorn, join in on the fun... McNair is cheap. McNair sucks!! :blah: :blah: :blah: :gun:

he is. ok, TB, are you happy with what the Texans have done so far. that being, losing 3 starters and not signing anyone to date?

just asking. no fan could be happy about that. just admit it. mcnair is cheap (as usual) and isn't committed to winning. he is committed to profiteering and making $500 million return on investment in 8 years.

but he needs more money and has a right to earn a profit.

just because you were wrong, isn't a reason to get all pissy. Mcnair is and always has been a cheap owner who nickel and dimes his way through offseasons and the only person he has actually paid big money to was David Carr, who sucked the big one. People were wrong about Carr and people are wrong about McNair. he is a cheap SOB.

Thorn
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, there's a freakin' surprise!! :shades:

Thorn will be posting in the drunk thread in just a wee little bit.

No problem. Slatonisabeast will be able to interpret my posts for yall. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM

He was a former offensive tackle forced inside due to lack of talent. He came into the league as an LT with Miami. He's not considered by most as more than of inside backup quality. And, btw, he has played all OL positions except for LG.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
8 years of football none the less. What did you have here before pal?

we had playoff football, an owner that actually spent money on good players, and at least some semblance of a committment to winning.

Bud was a jerk with how he left town, but he at least acted like he wanted to win.

McNair just wants your $$ and we are more than happy to give it to him and he knows it. Looks like patience is running thin though at least amongst most fans. If you were listening to sports radio today or combing the boards, far more people are unhappy with FA than happy. we aren't even in the discussion on most players that could help us.

oh, and we didn't even go after a running back that would be the best on our roster for just $3million per year. that is a freaking joke.

oh and when we don't have football in 2011, you can blame Bob about that too. he is one of the hardline owners who want more $$...surprised? I sure as hell aint.

people act like McNair donated $750 million to Houston for football...he invested it and last time I checked the franchise is worth over 1.2 billion. I would hope almost $500 million would be enough to satisfy his greed....

...i was wrong. and when we don't have football in 2010, lets make sure Bob gets all the credit.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
He was a former offensive tackle forced inside due to lack of talent. He came into the league as an LT with Miami. He's not considered by most as more than of inside backup quality. And, btw, he has played all OL positions except for LG.

Actually he was the #23 OG last year. He would certainly be a solid starter and a HUGE upgrade over Studdard. He is a better pass blocker than run blocker. He would be a solid unsexy signing.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't understand the hate coming from some guys. What did you expect us to do? The guys we are loosing are guys we who haven't performed well for us. Except for Kevin Walter, I'm not overly upset that we let Dunta and Chester Pitts go. And KW might still sign with us. Our main goal right now should be to sign OD, DeMeco, Pollard to new deals. It's the first day in free agency and the teams making the big splash are teams that are bad. Look at the Lions and Bears, two teams that were bad last year and they need to make big signings to appease their fan base and save jobs. The Texans will sign some guys, but just give it some time.

are you effing kidding me? we need to just tender them and use the money we saved from KW, CP, and DR and get some people to improve the team.

sign Ryans, Walter, and Pollard next year or the year after that cause there will probably not be football in 2011...thank Bob the profiteering SOB for that.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
No fair bringing clear thought and logic onto a message board. You should know better.:firehair:

translation: other teams suck too and run poorly too...its not just the Texans.

The Browns, Lions, and Saints suck too....oh wait, the Saints spent money to improve their team and what do you freaking know. They won the Super Bowl.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Let's not forget that longhorn football produced these 2 assclowns:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/4180/vince20520bx.jpg

so Studdard is an assclown? great. just another hater.

let me guess. GED?

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM

so its ok to bring football back even if its mediocre and poorly run with no vision or goal to win championships.

8 years and counting...no playoffs. that sucks no matter how you spell it.

at least you admit that the guy has run the franchise poorly at times.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I pretty much hate a good portion of our fanbase after the most successful Texans season ever. Some of these posts are just a comedy of errors.

WolverineFan
are you effing kidding me? we need to just tender them and use the money we saved from KW, CP, and DR and get some people to improve the team.

sign Ryans, Walter, and Pollard next year or the year after that cause there will probably not be football in 2011...thank Bob the profiteering SOB for that.

No we definitely need to sign Ryans and Pollard to extensions this year because they will be UFA's next year if we don't.

Second Honeymoon
:lol:

Don't forget us!

Signed,

the Patriots.

who made runs at Peppers and look to be players in Boldin sweepstakes...but whatever.

Bob is a cheap owner that doesn't try and put a championship product on the field.

He learned his craft from another cheap owner Drayton.

but at least we have Sheriff Blaylock Nachos.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:46 PM
No we definitely need to sign Ryans and Pollard to extensions this year because they will be UFA's next year if we don't.

no, you give them RFA tenders like the rest of the league does with their RFAs. i might add that there is no rush to sign them especially when 2011 season looks like it wont even happen.

i will give you credit for not saying to sign OD coming off a major injury. i think the prudent thing would be to just let them test the market next year or try and sign them during next year if their play continues to be decent.

Remember that we can tender them next year as well as they need 6 years to be UFA and we could even franchise one if we wanted to make them somewhat happy. we hold the cards. haven't we learned about trying to be too nice to our players with the way we handled Carr and the way we gave Kubiak an extension for a .500 record?

you play hardball with your players when you have the ace in the hole. that is the way you do business. class of 2006 got screwed, not by the Texans but by the owners and the CBA that the NFLPA agreed to.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 05:46 PM
who made runs at Peppers and look to be players in Boldin sweepstakes...but whatever.

Bob is a cheap owner that doesn't try and put a championship product on the field.

Boldin is a already a Raven.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM

we don't agree on a lot, but boy we agree on that 100%

WolverineFan
no, you give them RFA tenders like the rest of the league does with their RFAs. i might add that there is no rush to sign them especially when 2011 season looks like it wont even happen.

i will give you credit for not saying to sign OD coming off a major injury. i think the prudent thing would be to just let them test the market next year or try and sign them during next year if their play continues to be decent.

Remember that we can tender them next year as well as they need 6 years to be UFA and we could even franchise one if we wanted to make them somewhat happy. we hold the cards. haven't we learned about trying to be too nice to our players with the way we handled Carr and the way we gave Kubiak an extension for a .500 record?

you play hardball with your players when you have the ace in the hole. that is the way you do business. class of 2006 got screwed, not by the Texans but by the owners and the CBA that the NFLPA agreed to.

Forgot about the 6 year rule. Damn CBA situation is screwing me up.

Second Honeymoon
I need a beer.

I need a joint AND a beer.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Btw I would rather have Caldwell at Center and Chris White at Guard. White played so much better than Myers last year. Myers needs to go.

Joe Texan
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I need a joint AND a beer.

I have to agree I would just settle for a beer joint

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Forgot about the 6 year rule. Damn CBA situation is screwing me up.

didn't hear about Boldin to Ravens. That was a trade though so they could do it even though they made Divisional Playoff round.

Patriots will get someone good. That was an embarassing loss to the Ravens in front of a bunch of angry chowds. They also did retain their OG so we couldn't thieve him from them. That in itself is a good move for them. We are already down 3 starters.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Actually he was the #23 OG last year. He would certainly be a solid starter and a HUGE upgrade over Studdard. He is a better pass blocker than run blocker. He would be a solid unsexy signing.

It's somewhat difficult to get too excited about him when the Chief's OL was ranked 27th in the NFL last year.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I have to agree I would just settle for a beer joint

uhoh, the apocalypse is upon us. JT and I agree on something :)

whats your take so far, JT?

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
didn't hear about Boldin to Ravens. That was a trade though so they could do it even though they made Divisional Playoff round.

Patriots will get someone good. That was an embarassing loss to the Ravens in front of a bunch of angry chowds.

It literally just happened not too long ago. I think it was Boldin and a 5th to the Ravens for a 3rd and a 4th.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
It literally just happened not too long ago. I think it was Boldin and a 5th to the Ravens for a 3rd and a 4th.

they really needed a WR something fierce...and they addressed the need. kudos to them but they have probably the best GM in the business in Newsome.

we need a RB, C, CB, FS, and DT. Nothing yet. Bueller? Bueller?

Joe Texan
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
The Sheriff has your number

Joe Texan
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Patients Dr Patients

Thorn
03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
McNair is not a cheapskate or he wouldn't have spent the damn money to get the team in the first place. When was the last time any of yall parted with close to a billiion damn dollars to do something.

Jezzzzzzzz

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 06:03 PM
they really needed a WR something fierce...and they addressed the need. kudos to them but they have probably the best GM in the business in Newsome.

Newsome is a very good GM, but remember they don't usually go heavy in FA either. They let Bart Scott and Adalius Thomas walk and they still have a pretty tough D. They added Stallworth and Boldin at WR so the offense should be better.

As for you second statement, the Texans always address majority needs through the draft. They are hardly ever players in FA. People on this board are up in arms right now about the lack of signings (despite only being about 17 hrs into FA) but we all expected it to be like this.

Tailgate
03-05-2010, 06:10 PM

The Texans may very well retain Walter now. How many posts have you referenced him basically being all but gone now?? And with the free agents available this year, I think most everyone anticipated a quick start for some of the bigger names (very few of em).... then a calming of the storm afterwards before the rest get signed spread out over a longer period of time. Our holes will be addressed via this free agency and more so in the draft. There is a long ways to go yet.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
It's somewhat difficult to get too excited about him when the Chief's OL was ranked 27th in the NFL last year.

Sure. You are right. But you have to break it down. The Chiefs two starting tackles were Albert(#64) and Callaghan (#67). Their other guard was Waters (#53) and their Center was Neiswinger (#29). So when you put that all together take a look at what the line was:

Tackles: low quality NFL starter/high quality backup(64/64 and 67/64)
Center: Low quality NFL starter (29/32)
Guard: 1 quality NFL starter (23/64) and 1 low quality NFL starter(53/64).

So as you can see he was the best lineman they had and was in the top 36% tile of NFL Guards.

In comparison: Studdard was #71.

So, I reiterate this would be a quality unsexy signing.

TexansBull
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
We overpay for a second string, sorry, third string quarterback.

We haven't signed our best or second best player on defense, and one of the top TE in the game.

We have seen othesr jump and sign veteran players to their team that may only play 2 or 4 years.

We are one of the youngest teams but don't try to add age, wisdom and playoff experiance to this team and more importantly, fill holes.

We haven't made an impact this offseason, except by giving up players.

We have seen this team make exscuses, sorry, reasons why we should sign and give a raise to a coach that hasn't achieved what he was supposed to, or what some of his peers have in the same time.

We are what we are.

Management has chosen to look at the bottom line, gage that by our finish, see how much money we made or loss, and if we haave made more money than what we are compared by, than it is a successful season.

We finally know the bottom line matters more than where we finish competively.

Sorry, I have started without a lot of yall drinking this Friday.

Let me know if I am wrong.

We have seen this for how long?

This isn't Gary or Rick, its on Bob. He is the owner, he has set expectations, and Gary and Rick are meeting them.

Still a fan, just like the everyone else. I can sacrifice the standings result just as long as we are making an effort. But I don't see any effort by our front office. .

b0ng
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM

So are you saying you expected the Texans to be major players in FA this year?

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
So are you saying you expected the Texans to be major players in FA this year?

no i didn't but when the salary demands are $3million a year for the best RB candidate out there, I would think Bob could throw us fans a freaking bone.

but youre right, i wasn't expecting anything from Bob McLane and i should have known better

Tailgate
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Management has chosen to look at the bottom line, gage that by our finish, see how much money we made or loss, and if we haave made more money than what we are compared by, than it is a successful season.

We finally know the bottom line matters more than where we finish competively.

This kind of crap is what gets me. I mean how do you/we actually "know" this?? Are you in the meetings? Do you speak to them every day? Are you a fly on the wall? I mean really??? You don't really "know" any of this for sure. What happens if we get to the playoffs next year??? What happens to your "know" then?

In regards to our free agency. I would be a VERY happy Texan if we could land Leigh Bodden and Wade Smith. Thats all it would take for me. And the chatter at least is there for now.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
McNair is not a cheapskate or he wouldn't have spent the damn money to get the team in the first place. When was the last time any of yall parted with close to a billiion damn dollars to do something.

Jezzzzzzzz

he has already made an almost $500 million dollar return on his investment in just hte value of his franchise, not to mention profits he has made annually since 2002.

buying the team wasn't cheap but his operation of the team has been cheap.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
no i didn't but when the salary demands are $3million a year for the best RB candidate out there, I would think Bob could throw us fans a freaking bone.

but youre right, i wasn't expecting anything from Bob McLane and i should have known better

Then why are you so upset? Wouldn't this be "living up to your expectations"?

awtysst
03-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Sure we need them, but look at whats available. We may sign OG Smith. I have shown in this thread how that would be a solid unsexy signing. Smith was a solid OG last year so he can slide into Studdard's spot. That right there is a big upgrade.

We may very well go after a CB like Boddard (who was the #14 last year btw) to replace DR(who was #98).

One thing that many people on this board need to remember is that this is not a great FA class year in the NFL. Do you want McNair to throw around big money at marginal players? How about even throwing around big money at good players? Aside from Reggie White and Drew Brees when has it worked out that a team threw BIG $ at a FA and it turned into a positive? Usually, in football, throwing big $ at a FA ends in a lack of success.

In contrast, the NFL draft is poised to be quite strong this year. I suspect that many of our needs will be filled there.

And I am on board that we need to resign Meco, Pollard, and OD. You must draft and keep important key players and these three are that.

Nawzer
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
According to John McClain via Sportsradio 610, the Texans have re-signed WR Kevin Walter. Details to come. Kevin Walter is coming back, good way to start off.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Then why are you so upset? Wouldn't this be "living up to your expectations"?

no you are right. mcnair is acting just like i expected. acting like a cheapskate owner who is more concerned with profits and losses than wins and losses.

i apologize for being optimistic and feeling a little let down

awtysst
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
According to John McClain via Sportsradio 610, the Texans have re-signed WR Kevin Walter. Details to come. Kevin Walter is coming back, good way to start off.

There you go. KW has returned.

I am reminded of a great Golic bit on Mike and Mike in regards to the term "re-signed"!

b0ng
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
no you are right. mcnair is acting just like i expected. acting like a cheapskate owner who is more concerned with profits and losses than wins and losses.

i apologize for being optimistic and feeling a little let down

I find it dubious that you were optimistic at any point in the past few years honestly.

Anyways, Infantrycak has already raked you, steelb and other fans of the word "cheapskate" over the coals in numerous other threads, since he's not here right now I guess you guys should have your fun.

What do you guys think about DRob going to the Falcons (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=276396) for 6 years. Think he'll put up any better numbers in one of the only secondaries that was actually worse than ours?

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM

This is the thing that gets me. How in the the hell does anyone know that we weren't after Taylor??? His first visit was to Chicago so I would theorize that they were obviously his top choice. Apparently he was happy enough with their "mediocre" offer that he signed within hours.

It's a no-win situation for McNair and the FO. When they go out and get top FA's (Wade, Weaver, Robaire Smith, etc.) those guys don't pan out and the fans complain while we have to eat those contracts. Then we don't sign anyone and everyone complains that they don't care about winning and are just greedy money grubbers.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I find it dubious that you were optimistic at any point in the past few years honestly.

Anyways, Infantrycak has already raked you, steelb and other fans of the word "cheapskate" over the coals in numerous other threads, since he's not here right now I guess you guys should have your fun.

What do you guys think about DRob going to the Falcons (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=276396) for 6 years. Think he'll put up any better numbers in one of the only secondaries that was actually worse than ours?

DRob makes the Falcons better, but I guarantee they overpaid for him.

TheDrifter
03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6898618.html

Chron now reporting we've resigned Kevin Walter.

Thats great news. Im surprised no one overpaid for him considering his impressive skill set and age.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
This is the thing that gets me. How in the the hell does anyone know that we weren't after Taylor??? His first visit was to Chicago so I would theorize that they were obviously his top choice. Apparently he was happy enough with their "mediocre" offer that he signed within hours.

It's a no-win situation for McNair and the FO. When they go out and get top FA's (Wade, Weaver, Robaire Smith, etc.) those guys don't pan out and the fans complain while we have to eat those contracts. Then we don't sign anyone and everyone complains that they don't care about winning and are just greedy money grubbers.

It's the obvious catch-22. No less than 5 or 6 years ago we were wallowing in cap hell due to bad (but generous) FA signings and people were upset. Now the opposite is happening and people are upset.

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
The middle of the Texans OL

Studdard Myers Smith

Can you say CHAMPIONSHIP

God I hope the draft some competent interior OL in the draft. Othewise next year will be SOS or worse. IMHO

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Sure we need them, but look at whats available. We may sign OG Smith. I have shown in this thread how that would be a solid unsexy signing. Smith was a solid OG last year so he can slide into Studdard's spot. That right there is a big upgrade.

Should be interesting to see if he is given the opportunity to compete for a starting spot or if he is an interior swing guy. If the website you are basing this info off of is accurate we should all hope the rumors about our interest in Stephen Neal are accurate. He graded out as the #2 guard last season and has been impressive for the last three.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
The middle of the Texans OL

Studdard Myers Smith

Can you say CHAMPIONSHIP

God I hope the draft some competent interior OL in the draft. Othewise next year will be SOS or worse. IMHO

No, no. I think if Smith were signed, he replaces Studdard. So it would be:

Smith Myers Caldwell.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 06:59 PM
No, no. I think if Smith were signed, he replaces Studdard. So it would be:

Smith Myers Caldwell.

With Brisiel and White as quality backups and Studdard in the mix too. That's a solid, though not great, interior line.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Should be interesting to see if he is given the opportunity to compete for a starting spot or if he is an interior swing guy. If the website you are basing this info off of is accurate we should all hope the rumors about our interest in Stephen Neal are accurate. He graded out as the #2 guard last season and has been impressive for the last three.

Yep. I would not mind signing him as well. Then you can put Smith and Neal at the OGs, put Caldwell at C and keep the OTs

Brown Smith Caldwell Neal Winston

That is not a bad line at all.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 07:02 PM
With Brisiel and White as quality backups and Studdard in the mix too. That's a solid, though not great, interior line.

Yup, that would be a solid line. It would enable us to take the best FS/CB/DT in the first 2 rounds and then get a solid rb in the 3rd to compliment Foster.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I thought Neal was a LG? Either way, the Pats just did a deal with Wilfork, so I think they might be letting Neal go. At least I hope they are.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Yep. I would not mind signing him as well. Then you can put Smith and Neal at the OGs, put Caldwell at C and keep the OTs

Brown Smith Caldwell Neal Winston

That is not a bad line at all.

Still don't think we have a good shot at Neal. I expect him to re-sign with NE.

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Revisionist history always betters an argument.

:sarcasm:

You must have been one of the 5 fans that showed up for the save the Oilers party.

Was it fun?

I bet it was a good time.

LOL

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
You must have been one of the 5 fans that showed up for the save the Oilers party.

Was it fun?

I bet it was a good time.

LOL

Nope, but I did attend every home game their final season.

BTW, give this a read: The NFL Oilers: A Case Study in Corporate Welfare (http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-nfl-oilers-a-case-study-in-corporate-welfare/)

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM

McNairs counting on guys like you.

It appears that most Texan fans agree with you.

Which is sad because Texan fans are the best in the world. We deserve better regardless which side of the isle your sitting on.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
McNairs counting on guys like you.

It appears that most Texan fans agree with you.

Which is sad because Texan fans are the best in the world. We deserve better regardless which side of the isle your sitting on.

Don't most owners count on their fans??

Section516
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunta_Robinson

Already done. People are quick!

I did feel a slight tinge of sadness...

Then i saw..

Pay Me Rick..
The PI's..

Anyways, lets not beat a dead horse. :strangle:

awtysst
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I thought Neal was a LG? Either way, the Pats just did a deal with Wilfork, so I think they might be letting Neal go. At least I hope they are.

Nope. Neal played RG to Logan Mankins LG. He could probably play either side though.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunta_Robinson

Already done. People are quick!

I did feel a slight tinge of sadness...

Then i saw..

Pay Me Rick..
The PI's..

Anyways, lets not beat a dead horse. :strangle:

Pay me more Tom

dtran04
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Darn that Bob McNair. How dare he pay Kevin Walter less than Nate Burleson. What a cheap ass.... :)

Tailgate
03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Nope. Neal played RG to Logan Mankins LG. He could probably play either side though.

Neal signs with Pats FYI.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/patriots-bring-back-stephen-neal/

awtysst
03-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Neal signs with Pats FYI.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/patriots-bring-back-stephen-neal/

Not a bad decision on his part.

Still, we have Smith coming in for a visit tomorrow. Would be a solid signing.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM

As long as Houston has Meyers in the middle, next year it will look like Rome with McNair at the fiddle.:roast:

gary
03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Not a bad decision on his part.

Still, we have Smith coming in for a visit tomorrow. Would be a solid signing.Appearently health is a concern with Wade.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 10:09 PM
:cry2: I'm missing Second Honeymoon on this Friday night.... :cry2:

:cool:

awtysst
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Appearently health is a concern with Wade.

You may be thinking of Neal. He has had some injuries over the past 3 years and had thought about retiring.

Walter Football says the following about Neal, "Stephen Neal can still get it done - when he's actually in the lineup. Neal has missed 17 games the last three years and has hinted toward retirement."

NitroGSXR
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
You may be thinking of Neal. He has had some injuries over the past 3 years and had thought about retiring.

Walter Football says the following about Neal, "Stephen Neal can still get it done - when he's actually in the lineup. Neal has missed 17 games the last three years and has hinted toward retirement."

I thought I read somewhere that he was pondering retirement so he could pursue a MMA career.

awtysst
03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
As long as Houston has Meyers in the middle, next year it will look like Rome with McNair at the fiddle.:roast:

Well, I don't think Myers would be a long term solution at C. By adding Smith, it means we don't need to draft a Guard in the draft, but it does not mean we wouldn't draft a center. For example, JD Walton the Baylor Center may be available in the third round and he could really push Myers.

TheRealJoker
03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Now that I know Neal is off the board I wouldn't mind grabbing Smith. We need a solid veteran presence on the interior OL and he could provide it. Plus he's better than what we've already got at OG. It would push guard down the list of needs in the draft sure, but we all know if we fix the center our guards will look better...

Plus it frees us up to add a ballhawk in the secondary, NT to keep blockers off of our impressive LB core, and/or a feature back ahead of OL help.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, I don't think Myers would be a long term solution at C. By adding Smith, it means we don't need to draft a Guard in the draft, but it does not mean we wouldn't draft a center. For example, JD Walton the Baylor Center may be available in the third round and he could really push Myers.

No way does smith totally rule out a guard pick anywhere in the draft. It might push the need to the position down a little but I would not be surprised at all if the Texans draft one. Especially if they think the talent is there.

Neal being gone does suck indeed, and I think we see a few more linemen come in over the course of the free agency season.

Texan_Bill
03-06-2010, 01:44 AM
At the end of this day, we've only lost 1 of three starters that some folks were whininng about....That being Dumbass, errrrr Dunta, which I'm okay with. (yay, go Flacons - :gun:) and of course we kept Kevins Walter.

Maybe it's a chance we sign Pitts. :shrug:

CloakNNNdagger
03-06-2010, 07:26 AM
CB Richard Marshall would be a great improvement replacement for Dunta (tendered as only a #2)............and eliminate a significant draft need.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
:cry2: I'm missing Second Honeymoon on this Friday night.... :cry2:

:cool:

missed you too. glad to see that they re-signed Walter. once you let a guy go out and look around, its rare when you get them to come back.

the boldin trade really helped out by taking Ravens out of hte Walter sweepstakes. now teams will have to pick through the remains like TO, Coles, or give up draft pick for Marshall.

Now they have only lost 2 starters, so hopefully they can do something else and bring some new talent in. It looks like they might be angling for a player that can play both G and C so that may be a good thing. They lost out on the Neal sweepstakes but with the Patriots losing out on Peppers, they weren't going to let Neal go after that.

Little League season starts today...time to call balls and strikes. Most years I am looking forward to it but not this year. I want to sleep all day.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Now they have only lost 2 starters

Let's try to be a little realistic. First Pitts isn't lost yet. Second he only started 2 games last year so in terms of improving from last year he really isn't a subtraction. I'd like to have him back but pounding the they lost 2 starters drum (formerly known as "I know they have lost 3 starters" drum) looks silly. In terms of folks who were starters for the majority of last season they have lost (actually chosen to get rid of) one starter.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Let's try to be a little realistic. First Pitts isn't lost yet. Second he only started 2 games last year so in terms of improving from last year he really isn't a subtraction. I'd like to have him back but pounding the they lost 2 starters drum (formerly known as "I know they have lost 3 starters" drum) looks silly. In terms of folks who were starters for the majority of last season they have lost (actually chosen to get rid of) one starter.

wrong icak. they have lost 2 starters from last years roster however you cut it. studdard was a replacement for Pitts the 'starter'.

i appreciate your candor in stating that you would like to get Pitts back, because so would I, but trying to act like he isn't a starter is revisionist. Could they lure him back? sure, and the longer the Texans go without addressing the Guard position in Free Agency and the longer Pitts goes unsigned, the better the chance.

As of now they have lost 2 starters. As of yesterday they had lost 3 starters. They managed to lure one back onto the team and they get kudos for that, but I am not going to act like Pitts isn't a starter. Even Kubiak himself spoke about getting Pitts back as their starter in his post season presser. That was why I was so taken aback when they let him test the UFA waters. Yes, Dunta they chose to get rid of but he was the best corner in this market and was obviously worth enough for a playoff contending team, Atlanta, to break open the bank for him. It is obvious that Dunta burned his bridges here but he was a starter and our best corner at the end of the day.

they had lost 3 starters. they got one back. now they have lost 2 starters. could they get Pitts back and make it where they only end up losing 1 starter? Sure and I hope that is the case but to act like we haven't lost anything is a disservice to the years and quality play that Dunta and Pitts put in here. It's your right, but I think its kinda narrow minded.

infantrycak
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
i appreciate your candor in stating that you would like to get Pitts back, because so would I, but trying to act like he isn't a starter is revisionist.

Revisionist would be you acting like Pitts leaving last year's team is losing a starter. He started 2 games and finished 1. Would we have been better off with him starting last year? - IMO absolutely yes. But he wasn't a starter last year. In terms of improvement from last year Pitts doesn't count as a starter because he didn't start last year. No different than Eugene Wilson. Those two play last year and we probably make the playoffs but they didn't so in looking forward getting them back is a plus v. losing them is the same as what we had.

Oh and they have way, way more knowledge on the medical issues than we do. Microfracture surgery is a desperate move. We don't know if Pitts will ever be the player we both liked again.

Errant Hothy
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
wrong icak. they have lost 2 starters from last years roster however you cut it. studdard was a replacement for Pitts the 'starter'.

i appreciate your candor in stating that you would like to get Pitts back, because so would I, but trying to act like he isn't a starter is revisionist. Could they lure him back? sure, and the longer the Texans go without addressing the Guard position in Free Agency and the longer Pitts goes unsigned, the better the chance.

As of now they have lost 2 starters. As of yesterday they had lost 3 starters. They managed to lure one back onto the team and they get kudos for that, but I am not going to act like Pitts isn't a starter. Even Kubiak himself spoke about getting Pitts back as their starter in his post season presser. That was why I was so taken aback when they let him test the UFA waters. Yes, Dunta they chose to get rid of but he was the best corner in this market and was obviously worth enough for a playoff contending team, Atlanta, to break open the bank for him. It is obvious that Dunta burned his bridges here but he was a starter and our best corner at the end of the day.

they had lost 3 starters. they got one back. now they have lost 2 starters. could they get Pitts back and make it where they only end up losing 1 starter? Sure and I hope that is the case but to act like we haven't lost anything is a disservice to the years and quality play that Dunta and Pitts put in here. It's your right, but I think its kinda narrow minded.

The problem with that is that last year's performances on the feild for both Pitss and Dunta were no where near as good as pervious years, espically Robinson. I understand Pitts was injured but that has to be taken into account. Under the current rules rewarding past performance is a surefire quick way to ruin a team.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
The problem with that is that last year's performances on the feild for both Pitss and Dunta were no where near as good as pervious years, espically Robinson. I understand Pitts was injured but that has to be taken into account. Under the current rules rewarding past performance is a surefire quick way to ruin a team.

Dunta wasn't as bad as people are stating and his Atlanta contract tells you that the rest of the league wasn't so down on Dunta as some of the people. Face it, the reason Dunta was let go is because of his attitude not his play on the field. He made it personal and Rick sent him packing.

as for Pitts, he was playing well and got injured. He was our starter and before last season was probably viewed as our #1 or #2 OL at worst behind Winston. thus i will call him a starter because aside from the injury he would have been our starter and even Kubiak was looking forward to getting him back in the starting lineup based on his post season presser.

anywho, i just want the team to improve and am worried about us taking steps back like we did in 2005 postseason. i'll be back later but I gotta prepare myself for umpiring...parents are brutal nowadays...who wants to get thrown out? you the little lady in the purple dress yelling hatespeak at me? hit the showers old lady.

Pantherstang84
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Dunta wasn't as bad as people are stating and his Atlanta contract tells you that the rest of the league wasn't so down on Dunta as some of the people. Face it, the reason Dunta was let go is because of his attitude not his play on the field. He made it personal and Rick sent him packing.

as for Pitts, he was playing well and got injured. He was our starter and before last season was probably viewed as our #1 or #2 OL at worst behind Winston. thus i will call him a starter because aside from the injury he would have been our starter and even Kubiak was looking forward to getting him back in the starting lineup based on his post season presser.

anywho, i just want the team to improve and am worried about us taking steps back like we did in 2005 postseason. i'll be back later but I gotta prepare myself for umpiring...parents are brutal nowadays...who wants to get thrown out? you the little lady in the purple dress yelling hatespeak at me? hit the showers old lady.

Actually, only Atlanta was not as down on Dunta. They signed him, not the rest of the league.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Actually, only Atlanta was not as down on Dunta. They signed him, not the rest of the league.

yeah, im sure no one else wanted him...only atlanta. thus the huge pricetag...

...nice try.

dalemurphy
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Dunta is gone because he thought he could get a monster contract. He was right! There is nothing a team can do sometimes. We sure shouldn't have paid him this kind of money.

BSofA04
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
CB Richard Marshall would be a great improvement replacement for Dunta (tendered as only a #2)............and eliminate a significant draft need.

I'm on this bandwagon. Haden won't be available at #20 and the rest of the CB crop is supposed to be not worthy of pick #20. Why not attempt to pickup a proven CB? Marshall's contract was supposed to be the basis for Robinson's before he turned it down.

rmartin65
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
yeah, im sure no one else wanted him...only atlanta. thus the huge pricetag...

...nice try.

For what its worth, I only ever saw Atlanta's name in the mix, and I read somewhere that he was negotiating exclusively with them.

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Dunta is gone because he thought he could get a monster contract. He was right! There is nothing a team can do sometimes. We sure shouldn't have paid him this kind of money.

Yep, the market is not always right. Time will tell on this one, but the risk is pretty steep for the Falcons.

What becomes a positive for the Texans is that the Falcons just crossed off CB as a need at the 19th most likely. FTW!

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM

we didn't have to. we could have tendered him franchise in an uncapped year with no risk in a post-2010 NFL unknown frontier. that would have been the smart and competitive move....then you could have maybe even packaged him in a trade...but nahhhh, just let him walk for nothing. it had become personal and that isn't a good way to run your business much less a football organization. didn't we learn anything from making it personal with Carr. Ownership and management got so attached they couldn't see the suckitude that was his career and play.

we chose to lose our #1 corner and save $ at the end of the day.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
For what its worth, I only ever saw Atlanta's name in the mix, and I read somewhere that he was negotiating exclusively with them.

seattle, cleveland, tampa bay, and pittsburgh had each had reported interest. the early favorite was tampa bay reportedly.

remember that 1/4 of the league couldn't even contact him at all due to playoff FA restrictions.

dalemurphy
03-06-2010, 10:53 AM
we didn't have to. we could have tendered him franchise in an uncapped year with no risk in a post-2010 NFL unknown frontier. that would have been the smart and competitive move....then you could have maybe even packaged him in a trade...but nahhhh, just let him walk for nothing. it had become personal and that isn't a good way to run your business much less a football organization. didn't we learn anything from making it personal with Carr. Ownership and management got so attached they couldn't see the suckitude that was his career and play.

we chose to lose our #1 corner and save $ at the end of the day.

It would've been $12 million to franchise him this year. That's awfully steep. You are right, though, it could've been done without affecting the cap. However, I'm not going to freak out because McNair doesn't want to overpay Dunta by that much. I have no problem with the Texans working within a budget as long as the budget isn't too prohibative.

By the way, the Texans are likely to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Dunta. So, he didn't get away from them for nothing.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
It would've been $12 million to franchise him this year. That's awfully steep. You are right, though, it could've been done without affecting the cap. However, I'm not going to freak out because McNair doesn't want to overpay Dunta by that much. I have no problem with the Texans working within a budget as long as the budget isn't too prohibative.

By the way, the Texans are likely to receive a 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Dunta. So, he didn't get away from them for nothing.

Dunta wanted more money than we were offering. He thought he could get paid more than we were offering and he was right.

If we had paid Dunta that kind of contract (6 years, $57 million, $25.5 millions guaranteed), it would have had an impact on the rest of our negotiations. And when the cap came back, we would have been in bad shape.

If we had franchised Dunta again, then we would have been severely over-paying for him and he would have been a cancer in the locker room. We overpaid him last year and the offer we made him was more than he was worth to begin with.

If I had been running the FO, he would have been gone last year. So I've got no problem with him being gone this year.

(My wife, however, is in the "how could we let him get away" camp. And when she thought KW was gone, she was almost despondent.)

WWJD
03-06-2010, 11:12 AM
seattle, cleveland, tampa bay, and pittsburgh had each had reported interest. the early favorite was tampa bay reportedly.

remember that 1/4 of the league couldn't even contact him at all due to playoff FA restrictions.

You're right. There was interest league wide in him. He's just like so many of them though and he got picked up immediately and made some major money in the process.

NitroGSXR
03-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Sure he was. He was being paid handsomely to start. This is all about dollars and getting value from contracts. Pitts' was a poor investment for us last year. It happens. Being realistic is looking at his recent contribution and giving him likely a significant pay raise? As you said. Microfracture surgery is pretty extreme. He had a large contract and was expected to be our starter and he wasn't. We paid him anyway. Let's not pretend that his contract being on the books with no play in return didn't affect us as a team last season.

FWIW, I like Chester Pitts. I think he's earned another shot. Thing is... he's going to get paid handsomely. It won't be here unless he takes a major discount. He's a good football player and a fan favorite.

leebigeztx
03-06-2010, 12:04 PM
As far as robinson, i think he's in the same boat as winnfield in buffalo. I think he's a good football player and if he ever gets a consistent pass rush, he will be even better. Going to atlanta his hometown isnt much better imo as far as pass rush. Career wise, he wouldve been better taking less going to minny or someplace like that. They couldve put a transition tag on him or a 2nd rd tender then negotiate from there.

Before free agency i was going to start a thread talking about the buyers market with the restrcited tendered players but got too busy. I think any team that is close, this is the best route vs drafting players. Someone brought up marshall from carolina which would be a excellent pickup and replacement for robinson. I know they wouldnt never do it, but for a 5th rd pick and money for max jean gilles makes alot of sense to help that inside triangle and create a power running side on the left or right.Howard from the raiders as a will backer also makes alot of sense for a 2nd rd pick.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
McNairs budget and the budget the fans want are totally different.

Even though the Texans are the 6th most profitable franchise in the NFL.

McNair is a hardliner who adheres to the bottom line.

They better have a great 2006 type draft or you will be saying 9 yrs and no playoffs.

The good news is that this is the deepest draft in years. The holes can be filled that way.

steelbtexan
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Dont worry about the cap in 2011. If there is a 2011 at all. Thanks Bob

You could front load the money in the 2010 season and be in great shape cap wise in 2012.

When NFL football returns from the lockout.

McNair has to be willing to shell out alot of upfront $. We know that aint happening.

leebigeztx
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Dont worry about the cap in 2011. If there is a 2011 at all. Thanks Bob

You could front load the money in the 2010 season and be in great shape cap wise in 2012.

When NFL football returns from the lockout.

McNair has to be willing to shell out alot of upfront $. We know that aint happening.

I was hoping to see some frontloaded contracts and try to make a big push toward the playoffs. Instead the big free agent signing is walters. Rolle wouldve solved alot of secondary problems with his ability to matchup with those Y-flex te's like dallas clark and such. Corey williams for a 5th wouldve given the texans that inside rush they have been missing. Before he went and played in the 3-4, he had 8 sacks from the dt position and now he's in detroit. Its like theyre happy being avg and standing pat. At least re-sign ryans and daniels or something.

Texan4Ever
03-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm okay with us not going after the big free agents, I just hope we have a solid draft and fill our needs. We really need to upgrade our interior offensive line and add playmakers in our secondary, if we can do that then I'm cool with us not spending big.

But FA is not yet over and I suspect that we may make a trade with another team during or leading up to the draft so hold your horses everyone! :fingergun:

Errant Hothy
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I was hoping to see some frontloaded contracts and try to make a big push toward the playoffs. Instead the big free agent signing is walters. Rolle wouldve solved alot of secondary problems with his ability to matchup with those Y-flex te's like dallas clark and such. Corey williams for a 5th wouldve given the texans that inside rush they have been missing. Before he went and played in the 3-4, he had 8 sacks from the dt position and now he's in detroit. Its like theyre happy being avg and standing pat. At least re-sign ryans and daniels or something.

Rolle would have solved some problems but not as the highest paid safety in the NFL.

texdawg
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM

In an earlier thread, somebody said the Texans should go after Shaun Rogers from the Browns. I replied that the Texans should really go after Corey Williams. He would have been a great fit. Problem with trading for him is his current contract. Don't have the exact numbers but its around 5 mil this year. (sorry if this was discussed earlier, not gonna read 20 pages LOL).

I'll bet this weeks beer money that Shaun Rogers can still be had for a late 2nd or maybe even a 3rd. Browns seem to be in the mood to dump every contibutor left on the team.

!st pick next year for the Browns!!! whooo-hooo!!!!

You think the Texans have it bad----

djohn2oo8
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Texans still in the hunt for Bodden

The Patriots, Texans and Steelers are all vying for free-agent CB Leigh Bodden, according to league sources.

Bodden, who might be the best corner remaining on the market, intercepted five passes for New England last season, and the Patriots have made a sustained push to retain him. The Texans also are deep in the discussions, viewing Bodden as a replacement for departed CB Dunta Robinson, who received a huge free-agent contract from the Falcons.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/06/bodden-receiving-interest-from-pats-texans-steelers/

Ryan
03-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I'd love to have Bodden here. He's one of the few free agents i'm lobbying for. He'd be cheaper than Dunta too.

CloakNNNdagger
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd love to have Bodden here. He's one of the few free agents i'm lobbying for. He'd be cheaper than Dunta too.

For those not familiar with Bodden, here's a worthwhile older (July 2009 ) review of his history up to the 2009 season (http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-England-Patriots-Examiner~y2009m7d7-New-England-Patriots-Player-Profile-Leigh-Bodden). With 55 tackles, 1 FF, 18 pass defenses and 5 interceptions (with 1 TD return) in the 2009 season, he has continued to maintain a nice consistent level of performance.

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Bodden would be an excellent addition and an improvement over Dunta. He would be a much needed playmaker at the CB position. One that we haven't had since Aaron Glenn and Dunta's rookie season.

hot pickle
03-06-2010, 02:27 PM
i dunno about leigh bodden, im not that high on him. but ive been wrong before and i hope he comes here and proves me wrong... cmon leigh lol

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 02:39 PM
i dunno about leigh bodden, im not that high on him. but ive been wrong before and i hope he comes here and proves me wrong... cmon leigh lol

Do you think we'd be worse off at the position with Bodden or Dunta?

I know I would prefer to have Bodden THIS YEAR over any rookie CB as our # 1 CB. I think I'd prefer Haden or Wilson over Dunta.

hot pickle
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Do you think we'd be worse off at the position with Bodden or Dunta?

I know I would prefer to have Bodden THIS YEAR over any rookie CB as our # 1 CB. I think I'd prefer Haden or Wilson over Dunta.

to be honest i think id rather have dunta. but ill take bodden over a rookie. unless its kyle wilson.

The Cush
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Whoa wait, we can still get a compensatory pic for Dunta? I thought that only happens if we tender/franchise/or offer him some sort of contract. Thats pretty awesome if we do get a pick

AnthonyE
03-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Texans still in the hunt for Bodden

The Patriots, Texans and Steelers are all vying for free-agent CB Leigh Bodden, according to league sources.

Bodden, who might be the best corner remaining on the market, intercepted five passes for New England last season, and the Patriots have made a sustained push to retain him. The Texans also are deep in the discussions, viewing Bodden as a replacement for departed CB Dunta Robinson, who received a huge free-agent contract from the Falcons.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/06/bodden-receiving-interest-from-pats-texans-steelers/

This is exactly what I just heard from NFLN.

AnthonyE
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
to be honest i think id rather have dunta. but ill take bodden over a rookie. unless its kyle wilson.

I don't agree with this. Bodden has had 10+ passes defensed for the last 5 years. And has had 12 INTs over the past 3. that's one less than dunta has had over his entire career. Not to mention Dunta's only gone over 10 passes defensed twice. In his rookie year, and then again in 2006.

But I'll agree that Kyle Wilson would be a fantastic pick for us.

keyser
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Whoa wait, we can still get a compensatory pic for Dunta? I thought that only happens if we tender/franchise/or offer him some sort of contract. Thats pretty awesome if we do get a pick

This was discussed in the Dunta thread, but to sum up, there are several facctors determining compensatory picks. Compensatory picks are those awarded by the league (not the team signing the FA) at the ends of rounds 3-7. The pick would be in 2011, not this year. A new CBA could change things around a lot, or negate picks this year or something. The pick we get would depend on which of our players were signed away, which players we signed, and the values of those players.

If things work next year like they have been, and if we didn't sign any new FAs ourselves (re-signing our own players doesn't hurt, so we could sign Pitts), then we would probably be awarded a pretty high (probably 3rd round) draft pick next year. But, if we sign players ourselves, that will significantly reduce any compensatory pick.

2slik4u
03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
does anyone know what kind of defenses bodden played in? do they match up with what we run?

barrett
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
McClain is adament that the Texans inquired about Bodden but that they aren't interested in the price range he's asking. He's expected to draw a contract near Dunta's and the Texans aren't interested in that price range. McClain's thinking is that if they wanted to pay that kind of money for a CB they would have kept Robinson. What he's missing though is that it's possible that Bodden could play better than Robinson did. However, having said that, I think it still stands true that they Texans aren't interested in spending that kind of money on a player of Bodden (or Robinson's) calibur.

I'm way more interested in us signing Wade Smith. He can play every position on the OLine.

hot pickle
03-06-2010, 11:59 PM
wow this has been an exciting free agency :pirate:

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2010, 12:22 AM
wow this has been an exciting free agency :pirate:

About what was expected with this crop of free agents.

ArlingtonTexan
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
McClain is adament that the Texans inquired about Bodden but that they aren't interested in the price range he's asking. He's expected to draw a contract near Dunta's and the Texans aren't interested in that price range. McClain's thinking is that if they wanted to pay that kind of money for a CB they would have kept Robinson. What he's missing though is that it's possible that Bodden could play better than Robinson did. However, having said that, I think it still stands true that they Texans aren't interested in spending that kind of money on a player of Bodden (or Robinson's) calibur.

I'm way more interested in us signing Wade Smith. He can play every position on the OLine.

mcClain has it in his mind the Bodden is basically a journeyman, when at least year he was clearly better than Robinson although Dunta has a btter overall career and more "upside." Just from the things that I have read around, Bodden seems to need to be in the right system.

TexanBacker93
03-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Hopefully they can get Pitts back at a cheaper rate if he doesn't find a lot of suitors. I don't think there's anyone else available that would be an upgrade, but bringing in depth can't hurt.

dtran04
03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
So after all, Bodden is coming in a for a visit...

TheRealJoker
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
So after all, Bodden is coming in a for a visit...

Source?

dtran04
03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Source?

According to McClain and his tweets on chron.com.

ATXtexanfan
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
PFT saying boddin coming for a visit also

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
PFT saying boddin coming for a visit also

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/bodden-will-meet-with-texans/

Bodden will meet with Texans

The second-best cornerback on the free agent market is ready to take a visit.

After some back-and-forth on the issue, Leigh Bodden's first free agent visit will be with the Texans, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. It looked previously that Bodden's price tag may be too high for the Texans' taste.

Perhaps Bodden's financial demands are going down. After speaking with Bodden's agent Alvin Keels, the Texans decided to bring him in. The Patriots are pushing to bring Bodden back, while the Steelers and Seahawks have reportedly shown some interest.

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes Bodden could command money in the $4-$5 million per season range.

Texan4Ever
03-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know what kind of scheme Leigh Bodden plays in? Is he a fit for the Texans or no?

ArlingtonTexan
03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know what kind of scheme Leigh Bodden plays in? Is he a fit for the Texans or no?

The Pats run mixed schemes, the things that I have seen in the last couple of days suggest that he is best at press man coverage and should not be used in pure zone scheme.

pbat488
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Picking up in the Wade Smith thread, I heard about Casey Wiegmann being released from the Broncos and some wanting to sign him here...

I say yes due to the following....

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/5/J/W/Danni4.jpg

His wife, Danni Boatwright! Hubba Hubba!

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Picking up in the Wade Smith thread, I heard about Casey Wiegmann being released from the Broncos and some wanting to sign him here...

I say yes due to the following....

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/5/J/W/Danni4.jpg

His wife, Danni Boatwright! Hubba Hubba!

I don't know who this Wiegmann schmo is, but we need to get that woman to Houston.

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Seriously though, Wiegmann would be a natural fit for our O-line needs right now. I think the odds are good that he'll end up in Houston.

Blazin' Toro
03-11-2010, 03:52 AM
I don't know about anyone else but it will scare me a bit if the Texans don't sign a veteran CB or trade for one. McClain/Bennett are good players but having them starting is a scary thought. We need that veteran CB in there to help out. Any other options we have?

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Casey Wiegmann's going to be 37 entering this season. Considering what this team's been through with older FA's, I doubt he'll end up here. However, if he's still out there, possibly even after the draft, he might be worth bringing in for a vet minimum type deal.

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't know about anyone else but it will scare me a bit if the Texans don't sign a veteran CB or trade for one. McClain/Bennett are good players but having them starting is a scary thought. We need that veteran CB in there to help out. Any other options we have?

Molden might come out of nowhere and surprise us. Not likely, but possible.

Casey Wiegmann's going to be 37 entering this season. Considering what this team's been through with older FA's, I doubt he'll end up here. However, if he's still out there, possibly even after the draft, he might be worth bringing in for a vet minimum type deal.

You don't think he'd be an upgrade over Myers for just one year until we find another solution?

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
You don't think he'd be an upgrade over Myers for just one year until we find another solution?

Possibly, but it'd still just be a stop-gap either way. Like I said, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to him if it was for dirt cheap and we had the future long term C learning behind him.

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Possibly, but it'd still just be a stop-gap either way. Like I said, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to him if it was for dirt cheap and we had the future long term C learning behind him.

Well, there may not be room for him. Even if we don't draft an interior olineman, we are looking at 7 guys competing for 5 roster spots if Pitts is re-signed:

Myers
Studdard
Caldwell
Pitts
Briesel
Wade Smith
Chris White.

of those : White, Myers, Caldwell, and Wade Smith can all play center. So, I seriously doubt we'll see a guy in his mid 30's added to the mix.

Brisco_County
03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, there may not be room for him. Even if we don't draft an interior olineman, we are looking at 7 guys competing for 5 roster spots if Pitts is re-signed:

Myers
Studdard
Caldwell
Pitts
Briesel
Wade Smith
Chris White.

of those : White, Myers, Caldwell, and Wade Smith can all play center. So, I seriously doubt we'll see a guy in his mid 30's added to the mix.

Good point. Of that list, I see Briesel and White going back to the practice squad.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Good point. Of that list, I see Briesel and White going back to the practice squad.

They are no longer eligible for the practice squad.

dalemurphy
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM

My guess is that White would be let go... and, Briesel could get PUP'd. Otherwise, they may try to enter the season with 6 G/C if everyone is healthy. The way it's shaping up, I think it's likely the Texans don't go OL until at least the 4th round... particularly if Pitts re-signs.

steelbtexan
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Myers
Studdard
Caldwell
Pitts
Briesel
Wade Smith
Chris White.

Sign Wiegmann and draft Newhouse or Petrus. This will create intense competition in TC. That is always a good thing. Especially if it means the end of White,Studdard or Myers tenure with the team.

If it comes down to those 3 Myers is the keeper. IMHO

m5kwatts
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Has anyone brought up Gerard Warren (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5450) who was cut by Oakland today... he played in Denver when Kubiak was there and would make DT much less of a need on draft day...someones gotta replace Zgonina right??

Texan4Ever
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Has anyone brought up Gerard Warren (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5450) who was cut by Oakland today... he played in Denver when Kubiak was there and would make DT much less of a need on draft day...someones gotta replace Zgonina right??

Guy looks like a thug and isn't really productive or anything. I've seen him take plays off so I'll pass.

awtysst
03-11-2010, 06:58 PM

I think he is more of a NT than anything. I think he is a big guy that occupies rather than penetrates. I base that on his low number of tackles. Again, the Raiders D line was not great, so its hard to say.

Numbers wise: he was the #78 DT, so that that for what its worth.

m5kwatts
03-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I think he is more of a NT than anything. I think he is a big guy that occupies rather than penetrates. I base that on his low number of tackles. Again, the Raiders D line was not great, so its hard to say.

Numbers wise: he was the #78 DT, so that that for what its worth.

I'm not saying he's a star, just that I imagine they'll replace Zgonina, who played the same NT role just trying to tie up blockers to free up the LBs. He'd come cheap and it'd free us up even more in the draft.

bckey
03-12-2010, 07:00 AM

I think the Texans should at least bring him in for a look. The guy has played for 2 of the worst teams in the NFL his entire career so a new home and a better outlook could do wonders for him. The Texans need the help at dt and like you said it would make dt less of a need on draft day.

On another note. I would take Matthews over Spiller come draft day. That is assuming the Texans would consider rb in the 1st with s, cb, dt and ol being such big needs also.

awtysst
03-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not saying he's a star, just that I imagine they'll replace Zgonina, who played the same NT role just trying to tie up blockers to free up the LBs. He'd come cheap and it'd free us up even more in the draft.

See the thing is, what we really need is a DT that can shoot the gap, penetrate and cause problems in the backfield. Okoye was solid against the run but could not put any pressure on the QB. If we have him playing solidly against the run and then a DT next to him that is pushing forward and putting pressure on the QB, our DEs will have an easier job. If we get a NT that occupies blockers but cannot penetrate, the QB simply steps into the pocket to avoid our DEs and can complete a pass.

steelbtexan
03-12-2010, 07:33 AM
See the thing is, what we really need is a DT that can shoot the gap, penetrate and cause problems in the backfield. Okoye was solid against the run but could not put any pressure on the QB. If we have him playing solidly against the run and then a DT next to him that is pushing forward and putting pressure on the QB, our DEs will have an easier job. If we get a NT that occupies blockers but cannot penetrate, the QB simply steps into the pocket to avoid our DEs and can complete a pass.

I begto differ about OkOye being solid against the run. He consistantly failed to hold the point of attack.

He and Cody were about the same. AVERAGE and that's not what is expected out of a top 10 pick.

m5kwatts
03-12-2010, 12:39 PM

So how about we sign Warren and draft Lamar Houston in the 2nd/3rd round? He's a penetrating 5 technique

I begto differ about OkOye being solid against the run. He consistantly failed to hold the point of attack.

He and Cody were about the same. AVERAGE and that's not what is expected out of a top 10 pick.

Okoye's play against the run improved a lot as the season went on...he did a much better job of locating the ball carrier and pushing the blocker towards the play rather than trying to get under the pads or go around them. Rewatch the Miami game if you can, he was collapsing the pocket into runs consistently in that one, probably his best game of the year. He even stayed on the field on 3rd downs and was in the backfield a lot. He disappeared a lot last year but down the stretch he (and Antonio Smith) really improved and made the defense what it was. In fact, those 2 probably had a better last 3 games than Mario.

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2010, 05:12 PM

It's all in coaching approach. Give one of these to Cushing, betcha see Okoye "shoot the gap" EVERY play. After awhile, like Pavlov's dog, you won't be using up the batteries anymore:fingergun:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QzREC_A-Q7g/RyARjYnWUkI/AAAAAAAAAmQ/2ycGP6o8Ax0/s320/cattle+prod.jpg

Yankee_In_TX
03-12-2010, 05:24 PM

What?!?! Skahkneenah better be back!

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks like Larry Johnson was good enough for Shanny and Shanny.

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Weigmann to the Chiefs.

steelbtexan
03-12-2010, 06:33 PM
It's all in coaching approach. Give one of these to Cushing, betcha see Okoye "shoot the gap" EVERY play. After awhile, like Pavlov's dog, you won't be using up the batteries anymore:fingergun:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QzREC_A-Q7g/RyARjYnWUkI/AAAAAAAAAmQ/2ycGP6o8Ax0/s320/cattle+prod.jpg

Wish I could rep you.

LOL

I was thinking yhe same thing.

steelbtexan
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
So how about we sign Warren and draft Lamar Houston in the 2nd/3rd round? He's a penetrating 5 technique

Okoye's play against the run improved a lot as the season went on...he did a much better job of locating the ball carrier and pushing the blocker towards the play rather than trying to get under the pads or go around them. Rewatch the Miami game if you can, he was collapsing the pocket into runs consistently in that one, probably his best game of the year. He even stayed on the field on 3rd downs and was in the backfield a lot. He disappeared a lot last year but down the stretch he (and Antonio Smith) really improved and made the defense what it was. In fact, those 2 probably had a better last 3 games than Mario.

Call me crazy but I expect a top 10 pick to be doing that every game.

Revis seems to be showing up every game for the Jets. I guess that's to much to expect from OkOye. Hopefully he keeps improving.

steelbtexan
03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Looks like Larry Johnson was good enough for Shanny and Shanny.

I guess Lil Shanny wasn't on board with the rest of the FO, about LJ's ability to help the Texans make the playoffs next year.

Kubes man crush for Myers is never ending. Wiegmann could've helped the Texans. Oh well

gary
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I guess Lil Shanny wasn't on board with the rest of the FO, about LJ's ability to help the Texans make the playoffs next year.

Kubes man crush for Myers is never ending. Wiegmann could've helped the Texans. Oh wellHis wife would help all of us let's resign Pitts.

steelbtexan
03-12-2010, 10:08 PM
His wife would help all of us let's resign Pitts.Bringing new talent to town to keep old talent in town cant be a bad thing,

LOL

Texan4Ever
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Don't know if this is the right thread for this but: Deon Grant (S, Seahawks) was cut. He is 31 years old but has been a productive player, so how bout' him in a Texans uni?

El Tejano
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Don't know if this is the right thread for this but: Deon Grant (S, Seahawks) was cut. He is 31 years old but has been a productive player, so how bout' him in a Texans uni?

I think you are okay putting that here. I wouldn't mind getting a vet like that but after seeing how Seattle had a bad defense last year, I can't really get excited over him. Is he a FS or a SS?

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Grant is a FS about the same level as Wilson, and may not have the pure range, coverage skills that Eugene has.

Texan4Ever
03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Grant is a FS about the same level as Wilson, and may not have the pure range, coverage skills that Eugene has.

Oh ok then, guess I'll pass...

steelbtexan
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
I wanted the Texans to pick him up in FA when Seattle signed Grant in FA.

After seeing him play I'm glad that we didn't sign him.

No More 8-8's
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I wanted the Texans to pick him up in FA when Seattle signed Grant in FA.

After seeing him play I'm glad that we didn't sign him.

Just thinking of Safeties from Seattle makes me cringe. Thank you Michael Boulware for getting my hopes up.

El Tejano
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Can someone please explain to me why we need a FS and yet Sean Jones is being courted by our very own division rival Tenn Titans are bringing him and Tampa Bay has brought him in and we are sitting on our thumb?

JB
03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Can someone please explain to me why we need a FS and yet Sean Jones is being courted by our very own division rival Tenn Titans are bringing him and Tampa Bay has brought him in and we are sitting on our thumb?

I think he is more of a strong safety.

Errant Hothy
03-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Because just maybe Sean Jones is a tad overrated.

There might just be a reason why he only singed a 1 year deal in Philly, and was not re-signed. Besides that we passed on him last year, so why are you suprised we passed on him again?

steelbtexan
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Because that's what we do in FA.

GP
03-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Because that's what we do in FA.

http://curtharding.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/eeyore1.jpg

-------

Dude, while I agree with a lot of what you say...you gotta' find a happy place.

I was you about a year ago. Every post I made was negative and hyper-critical of Kubiak and the team overall.

It wasn't until a few guys on here started leaving me "intervention" rep comments that I realized how depressing I had become.

Your schtick is gonna' wear thin at some point. I'm just sayin'......

steelbtexan
03-16-2010, 01:54 PM
http://curtharding.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/eeyore1.jpg

-------

Dude, while I agree with a lot of what you say...you gotta' find a happy place.

I was you about a year ago. Every post I made was negative and hyper-critical of Kubiak and the team overall.

It wasn't until a few guys on here started leaving me "intervention" rep comments that I realized how depressing I had become.

Your schtick is gonna' wear thin at some point. I'm just sayin'......

You're probably right.

I need to do the 10 step program and get to a place where the moves or lack of moves doesn't matter.

Step 1 Dont care
Step 2 laugh at the organizations incompetence.
Step3 thru 10 add as you see fit.

LOL

Great Pic

Big Lou
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
You're probably right.

I need to do the 10 step program and get to a place where the moves or lack of moves doesn't matter.

Step 1 Dont care

LOL

Great Pic

Steelbtexan, may I recomend:

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/061213/n_potts_antidepressants_061213.300w.jpg

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM

he didn't go to Colorado State or play for the Broncos.

No chance at being a Texan.

GP
03-16-2010, 02:47 PM
You're probably right.

Step 1 Dont care

LOL

Great Pic

You have to find a balance between calling out the incompetence, which I think you have done very well (you have the same points that I have), and the good that is there to be enjoyed.

Brian Cushing, and the defense as a whole, is something that I derive great joy from. Our defense became competent for the first time in a long time. I put that on Frank Bush, and the addition of a better DB coach (Gibbs), and some great moves: Subtraction of TJ, Addition of Pollard, drafting of Cushing, and somewhat of a semblance of competence at cornerback.

So the defense, specifically Bush-Cushing-Pollard, is my happy place.

The offense, IMO, is Kubiak's project. While I enjoy the boost in passing stats--After all, David Carr at the wheel of the old offense, pre-Kubiak, was just atrocious--I still don't like how he has made the running game a back-burner issue. While people will point to Alex Gibbs as Kubiak's way of focusing more on the run game, I am not satisfied with the lack of moves for a better RB. Especially since there were moves that we could have made.

Having said all of that, let's look at the Cleveland Browns. The draft analysts had pegged the Browns as being PURE GENIUS for their first round shenanigans that acquired Notre Dame's Brady Quinn as their future QB. I mean, they gushed and gushed about how genius the Browns were for making the moves to get Brady Quinn. At every turn of draft weekend, the analysts were making big noise about the moves. Oops.

Look at the Lions. Heck, the 9ers think they are getting the best of both worlds by having Alex Smith and David Carr as their QB1 and QB2. LOL. Singletary is going to tackle Carr and separate his throwing shoulder if David ever sees the field for significant playing time.

While I don't think Kubiak is all he's cracked up to be, I find ways to enjoy this team. And the conversations on this board. In fact, my interaction on here might just actually be more important to me than what happens each year. We all have a connection on here, no matter how good or bad we do each year. This is the thing that remains constant.

We're not what we should be, but Thank Goodness we're not what we used to be.

El Tejano
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Having said all of that, let's look at the Cleveland Browns. The draft analysts had pegged the Browns as being PURE GENIUS for their first round shenanigans that acquired Notre Dame's Brady Quinn as their future QB. I mean, they gushed and gushed about how genius the Browns were for making the moves to get Brady Quinn. At every turn of draft weekend, the analysts were making big noise about the moves. Oops.

I so remember that. Matter of fact, someone on this board needs to make a post draft quote section that shows what teams all the experts said were draft winners and losers. Then at the end of the year we can pull that up again and see how genius they are.

I remember Mark Mayock ripping us apart for getting Duane Brown.

TheCD
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I so remember that. Matter of fact, someone on this board needs to make a post draft quote section that shows what teams all the experts said were draft winners and losers. Then at the end of the year we can pull that up again and see how genius they are.

I remember Mark Mayock ripping us apart for getting Duane Brown.

I think you can youtube it, but at the 2002 draft Kiper said something along the lines of Carr and Harrington were can't-miss picks who could not bust...

AnthonyE
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I've been without internet for like 5 days, and I had expected the texans to at least bring someone in. LOL, wow. No new threads about free agency. Sigh.

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I've been without internet for like 5 days, and I had expected the texans to at least bring someone in. LOL, wow. No new threads about free agency. Sigh.

Really, outside of the Jets, the teams making a ton of moves all suck. Browns, Bears, Lions, etc were all worse than the Texans. IMO, it is a good thing that we are not out "making moves" with the like of those clown organizations.

disaacks3
03-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Really, outside of the Jets, the teams making a ton of moves all suck. Browns, Bears, Lions, etc were all worse than the Texans. IMO, it is a good thing that we are not out "making moves" with the like of those clown organizations. That's certainly ONE way to look at it.

The other is that those "other" teams were trying to better themselves via FA, wheras the Texans are of the opinion that they wouldn't be improved by any of these players.

Eeyore might be a good candidate for a Texans fan.

hadaad
03-16-2010, 05:17 PM
he didn't go to Colorado State or play for the Broncos.

No chance at being a Texan.

Could we get Steve Atwater, then?

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
That's certainly ONE way to look at it.

The other is that those "other" teams were trying to better themselves via FA, wheras the Texans are of the opinion that they wouldn't be improved by any of these players.

Eeyore might be a good candidate for a Texans fan.

The point of a scouting department is to look at players and determine whether they would help w/o bringing them in for some visit...i.e based on watchng film or live games. It really is a bad crop of free agents. Example, guys like Sean Jones and Grant are names many fans know, but really ae different versions of Eugene Wilson, who fits what you do better. Basically, same dog, different fleas. Pretty much position by position it is the same bit. I mean Kevin Walter was legitimately 2nd or 3rd best unrestricted WR in free agency. Honestly, this year inaction is probably the best action.

Lucky
03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Honestly, this year inaction is probably the best action.
That very well could be the case. However, the feebleness of this free agent class should in no way be a foundation for another season of excuses. The Texans couldn't pickup a decent FA CB? They held the rights to the #1 FA CB. The Texans couldn't find a FA RB under 30? That was their arbitrary age limitation...Thomas Jones has averaged over 1300 yards and 13 TDs since his 30th birthday.

I will not criticize what the Texans have or haven't done in free agency. At least not until the results are in. But, I won't be buying any lame excuses involving a weak free agent class hindering this team from winning in 2010, either.

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
That very well could be the case. However, the feebleness of this free agent class should in no way be a foundation for another season of excuses. The Texans couldn't pickup a decent FA CB? They held the rights to the #1 FA CB. The Texans couldn't find a FA RB under 30? That was their arbitrary age limitation...Thomas Jones has averaged over 1300 yards and 13 TDs since his 30th birthday.

I will not criticize what the Texans have or haven't done in free agency. At least not until the results are in. But, I won't be buying any lame excuses involving a weak free agent class hindering this team from winning in 2010, either.

I am of the school that in the NFL, the bottomline is the bottomline. A team has to figure out how to get players who effect winning and losing. While I am not seeing those guys in FA, does not mean that I am giving them the mediocrity pass. I think even if they get nothing from Fa or the draft, this team still nee s to be in the palyoffs at minimuim no matter the injuries or schedules etc.

AnthonyE
03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Really, outside of the Jets, the teams making a ton of moves all suck. Browns, Bears, Lions, etc were all worse than the Texans. IMO, it is a good thing that we are not out "making moves" with the like of those clown organizations.

While I do agree with this, I was just commenting from the part of me that wants any kind of news concerning the offseason. Boring offseason = Bored Anthony.

HoustonFrog
03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
ESPN Insider said that McClain has been Twittering about the owners meeting. He says Kubiak told people at breakfast that Kris Brown will have competition starting in OTAs, not just training camp and pre-season. Shayne Graham and Suisam possibilities.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Ole Miss Texan
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
ESPN Insider said that McClain has been Twittering about the owners meeting. He says Kubiak told people at breakfast that Kris Brown will have competition starting in OTAs, not just training camp and pre-season. Shayne Graham and Suisam possibilities.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

I heard McNair speak last week. He mentioned they will bring in competition for Kris Brown but his overall tone was that KB will be the kicker next season barring any unforseen events. I gathered he thinks its a mental thing, he brought up its like a golfer standing over a 4 ft putt and not knowing if he's going to make it or not.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I heard McNair speak last week. He mentioned they will bring in competition for Kris Brown but his overall tone was that KB will be the kicker next season barring any unforseen events. I gathered he thinks its a mental thing, he brought up its like a golfer standing over a 4 ft putt and not knowing if he's going to make it or not.

The thing is... mental stuff like that can be really hard to correct. There's no guarantee KB will ever get it together again.

JWarren14
03-23-2010, 03:00 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/user_pictures/0009/8890/finkle_profile_page.jpg

I heard this guy is available...

LACES OUT!

Texanmike02
03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Chester-Pitts-will-visit-Seattle.html

The veteran guard will check out the Seahawks, according to the Twitter account of Matt Barrow of the Sacramento Bee, making them the fourth team to have known interest in him. Pitts just wrapped up a visit with the San Francisco 49ers and has already been to Detroit while also gaining interest from his former team, Houston.

For purely football reasons I want him back. Then there's the whole history thing.. Do you really want Kris Brown to be the last origional Texan?

Mike

Texanmike02
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
The thing is... mental stuff like that can be really hard to correct. There's no guarantee KB will ever get it together again.

I'm a brown fan.. kind of.. but lets not forget brown had a HORRIBLE year with pittsburg... he missed like 4 fg's in one game. Unless i'm mistaken? That was the year before we picked him up.. was it the new season or the change of scenery that helped?

Mike

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm a brown fan.. kind of.. but lets not forget brown had a HORRIBLE year with pittsburg... he missed like 4 fg's in one game. Unless i'm mistaken? That was the year before we picked him up.. was it the new season or the change of scenery that helped?

Mike

I thought it was the change of venue. That Steeler Stadium has some nasty swirling winds.

Texans_Chick
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Mike

Jerome Solomon said that last year (http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2010/01/kickers.html) it was a known mechanical thing going on, not a mental thing. Brown knew what he was doing wrong but it wasn't something that could be fixed in-season.

Last year over all, it was a dreadful year for kickers--not just Brown, but throughout the league. Here's a solid article on the subject (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/football/23kickers.html).

The Football Outsiders people claim that kicking accuracy from year to year is not a terribly consistent number. Hopefully Brown rebounds.

Scooter
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Jerome Solomon said that last year (http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2010/01/kickers.html) it was a known mechanical thing going on, not a mental thing. Brown knew what he was doing wrong but it wasn't something that could be fixed in-season.

did brown ever say specifically what the problem was?

Texans_Chick
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
did brown ever say specifically what the problem was?

I do not know. All I saw was Jerome's second hand report with no link to a podcast. IIRC, I looked for a podcast at the time but it didn't exist.

Brisco_County
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I do not know. All I saw was Jerome's second hand report with no link to a podcast. IIRC, I looked for a podcast at the time but it didn't exist.

Whatever the problem was, I hope they fill us in. It only cost us the playoffs.