PDA

View Full Version : Pollard, Ryans, Daniels mentioned in article re. disgruntled players

Section516
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4964619

...."I'm not watching or listening to anything on that day and I don't care about who ends up where," said Houston Texans strong safety Bernard Pollard, who just finished his fourth season.

"All I can do is sign the tender I get offered. As for the guys who've been around long enough, they can go out and see what their value is."

Veterans like Pollard are upset for one major reason: They've played by the rules of the game since they came into the league and now the rules have changed. They've watched friends enter free agency in previous years and reap huge financial benefits....

...What people don't understand is that [restricted free agents] don't have any guarantees," Pollard said.

"We don't get any money up front in these deals and we'll be asked to do all the things we've done before. So if I tear up my ACL in the offseason, I have no security. And I also have to play another year to get back to this same position. Yes, we do love playing this game, but it's also hard work.".....

....Agents Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell have clients who understand what Pollard is feeling. ....

.....And if they're like Pollard, they're all probably wondering how this issue became as complicated as it now appears.

One thing they all have to agree on is that they're the first real collateral damage in the battle between the owners and players.

"I'm not a poker player, but if I was, I'd be folding by now," said Pollard, who will be commiserating with at least two other fellow restricted free-agent teammates -- linebacker DeMeco Ryans and tight end Owen Daniels.

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights." .....

2slik4u
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4964619

...."I'm not watching or listening to anything on that day and I don't care about who ends up where," said Houston Texans strong safety Bernard Pollard, who just finished his fourth season.

"All I can do is sign the tender I get offered. As for the guys who've been around long enough, they can go out and see what their value is."

Veterans like Pollard are upset for one major reason: They've played by the rules of the game since they came into the league and now the rules have changed. They've watched friends enter free agency in previous years and reap huge financial benefits....

...What people don't understand is that [restricted free agents] don't have any guarantees," Pollard said.

"We don't get any money up front in these deals and we'll be asked to do all the things we've done before. So if I tear up my ACL in the offseason, I have no security. And I also have to play another year to get back to this same position. Yes, we do love playing this game, but it's also hard work.".....

....Agents Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell have clients who understand what Pollard is feeling. ....

.....And if they're like Pollard, they're all probably wondering how this issue became as complicated as it now appears.

One thing they all have to agree on is that they're the first real collateral damage in the battle between the owners and players.

"I'm not a poker player, but if I was, I'd be folding by now," said Pollard, who will be commiserating with at least two other fellow restricted free-agent teammates -- linebacker DeMeco Ryans and tight end Owen Daniels.

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights." .....

UUUGGGHHHH. I can handle disgruntled from Dunta, but not from some of these core players. This is upsetting.

Cjeremy635
03-04-2010, 03:33 PM
UUUGGGHHHH. I can handle disgruntled from Dunta, but not from some of these core players. This is upsetting.

Yeah, I'm going to be very disappointed if we lose Pollard, Ryans, or Daniels. I think each one of those guys brings something extremely important to our team and I don't think it's easily replaced.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I think it's saying he's disgruntled towards the League/non-CBA, not towards the Texans.

At least that's how I read it.

Kaiser Toro
03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Context is key, this story is not local to our players and our FO. It is about the CBA.

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Context is key, this story is not local to our players and our FO. It is about the CBA.

Exactly, this is how it is everywhere. I feel their frustration but the good thing is that pretty much every player on every other team feels the same way. They're upset at the situation (CBA) not their respective teams... well for the most part

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights."

He's right.

Malloy
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Again, they have their union to represent their rights and issues, for better or worse.

I wonder how screwed up the owners offer to the players union is, or if the union is playing hard ball... either way we as fans suffer, and right now the players too it seems.

I hope they get that damn CBA done ASAP!...

Thorn
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
This part of football just really sucks. It really does. I hate listening to folks publicly quibble over millions of dollars. Sorry, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I do hope Pollard, Ryans and OD are all signed and made happy, I'm just getting real tired of listening to it.

JB
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
This part of football just really sucks. It really does. I hate listening to folks publicly quibble over millions of dollars. Sorry, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I do hope Pollard, Ryans and OD are all signed and made happy, I'm just getting real tired of listening to it.

This^^^^^^^^^

2slik4u
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM

agreed.

badboy
03-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Mr. Pollard, how many teams offered you a contract before Texans? Yep, that is what I thought. Some posters criticised Smith for waiting as long as he did to sign you. You got fired, set by the telephone for a while and Texans took a chance. It worked out well for both of you and you will probably get offer that doubles your salary. Shut up and play.

Kaiser Toro
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr. Pollard, how many teams offered you a contract before Texans? Yep, that is what I thought. Some posters criticised Smith for waiting as long as he did to sign you. You got fired, set by the telephone for a while and Texans took a chance. It worked out well for both of you and you will probably get offer that doubles your salary. Shut up and play.

IMO, you are totally off base with this narrative based on the article.

Yankee_In_TX
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I think it's saying he's disgruntled towards the League/non-CBA, not towards the Texans.

At least that's how I read it.

I agree - everyone is pissed off about the new rules from lack of a CBA.

They don't like how the owners are playing by the 'new' rules and are upset because players in their situations had it 'easy' the last what, 10 or 15 years?

*shrugs*

I feel for them, but I don't....

Drew_Smoke
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I heard that dip**** on 790 (which one, right? The really stoopid one) saying the Vikings "could put a poison pill into #59's offer saying if he plays 9 reg season games in Texas he gets a big bonus. They could screw the Texans because they play the Cowboys this year."

Think some soccer/softball fan with below average sports knowledge told him the Cowboys play here?

They don't have Gene Upshaw to kick aorund anymore.

barrett
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
*shrugs*

I feel for them, but I don't....

Me too. But the big thing to me is how it goes in the NFL. In the blink of an eye it can be over so it makes sense to me that they are so focused on getting as much as they possibly can. So I feel for them, but I don't.

badboy
03-04-2010, 04:18 PM
IMO, you are totally off base with this narrative based on the article.How? He is disgruntled because the union he pays negotiated the CBA. He lost his job and got another one after no one else wanted him. He will probably more than double his income. So instead of being very rich, he will be just rich. I like the guy and he played well for us for one year. Does he have the right to be disgruntled yes. Do I want to hear it , no. He did nothing to clarify whom he was disgruntled at so he leave it open or interpretation. He should have added" Thank you Mr. McNair for having faith in me. I appreciate the huge raise and will do everything to make you and the fans proud of me."

Dutchrudder
03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Pollard just got a 2.5 million dollar raise. He's the only one of the three that shouldn't be whining.

Ryans should be getting a hefty raise IMHO. He earned it last year, but we just have to wait and see if the front office thinks he deserves it.

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I heard that dip**** on 790 (which one, right? The really stoopid one) saying the Vikings "could put a poison pill into #59's offer saying if he plays 9 reg season games in Texas he gets a big bonus. They could screw the Texans because they play the Cowboys this year."

Think some soccer/softball fan with below average sports knowledge told him the Cowboys play here?

Then we take their draft picks and find another ILB. Life goes on...it'd suck, but we still pay taxes.

I guess I'm not seeing the dude's logic...is he saying the Vikings would take DeMeco because the Cowboys play us this year? It'd make more sense for Minny to want Dallas to lose, as the playoff picture would have more to do with Dallas losing, from Minny's perspective.

False Start
03-04-2010, 04:38 PM

I heard that too, that was the Mighty Dooche.... I mean Gwinn.

I am starting to get irritated with this whole Demeco thing, pay the guy dammit! :pissed:

Big Lou
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM

What he is saying is that the Vikings or any other team (The Vikings pulled a crap deal like this with Seahwaks.) can make a BS contract where there are two pay options. The contract would include both with the if bieng the key.

A. Ryans makes X Dollars a year
B. Ryans makes Y Dollars a year (Ridiculous money even DC wouldn't pay), if Ryans plays 9 games in the state of Texas

So if Ryans played for say the Vikings or anyone but Houston/Dallas, he would make say 4 million, but if he plays 9 games in the state of Texas Ryans would make 25 million a year, therefore if the Texans matched the offer from said team the Texans would be on the hook because they play 9 games in the state this year, and there will only be 2 teams that play that many games this year in the state of Texas.

JB
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
What he is saying is that the Vikings or any other team (The Vikings pulled a crap deal like this with Seahwaks.) can make a BS contract where there are two pay options.

B. Ryans makes Y Dollars a year (Ridiculous money even DC wouldn't pay), if Ryans plays 9 games in the state of Texas

So if Ryans played for say the Vikings or anyone but Houston/Dallas, he would make say 4 million, but if he plays 9 games in the state of Texas Ryans would make 25 million a year, therefore if the Texans matched the offer from said team the Texans would be on the hook because they play 9 games in the state this year, and there will only be 2 teams that play that many games this year in the state of Texas.

Except the Texans will not play 9 games in Texas this year.

but I am playing semantics...

Dutchrudder
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
What he is saying is that the Vikings or any other team (The Vikings pulled a crap deal like this with Seahwaks.) can make a BS contract where there are two pay options. The contract would include both with the if bieng the key.

Couldn't you just sit him for one game and get around that stipulation?

I guess they could just say he gets a 2 mil bonus for each game played in Texas. I guess it depends on the language.

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM

I read an article on cnnsi.com today about poison pill contracts and how teams haven't done them since Minny and Seattle did the Hutchison and Burleson deals...apparently there's some gentlemen's agreements out there (i.e. COLLUSION) and a poison pill isn't something we're likely to have to worry about.

disaacks3
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't get me wrong....I really like Meco, Pollard & OD

but...

I have little sympathy for "willing" union employees who agreed to a contract that no longer seems to their benefit. The NFLPA "made" this deal in exchange for other concessions during the last round of labor talks. In absence of a current CBA, these are the terms. ALL of these players not only knew this "could" happen, they were told it was LIKELY to happen.

I would like the Texans to "lock up" their key contributors, but it's not as if the Texans are playing the game any meaner / dirtier than their NFL brethren.

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I read an article on cnnsi.com today about poison pill contracts and how teams haven't done them since Minny and Seattle did the Hutchison and Burleson deals...apparently there's some gentlemen's agreements out there (i.e. COLLUSION) and a poison pill isn't something we're likely to have to worry about.

Here's the LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html) that explains the whole concept and the "excuse" the owners are supposedly using to avoid the accusation by the NFLPA of "collusion"................since it is a presently a "legitimate mechanism"........and no longer being used.

Thorn
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Pollard just got a 2.5 million dollar raise. .

2.5 million? Is that all? No wonder he's pissed. Hell, I can make that myself working at the hospital for the next 30 years.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Not really. They play the Cowboys this year so it is 9 games.

BigTimeTexanFan
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Not really. They play the Cowboys this year so it is 9 games.

The Cowboys come here this year don't they?

Section516
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Still in Texas.

BigTimeTexanFan
03-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Still only 8 games.

IBleedTexans
03-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Still in Texas.

we only have 8 home games buddy

keyser
03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Still only 8 games.

Come on - you guys are forgetting that we'll be hosting a couple of playoff games, also...

texanhead08
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
I thought that if the players played in an uncapped year they would never go for a salary cap again, but seeing how it seems this year is going to play out in free agency they will be jumping through hoops for the old system to come back.

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I hate the fact that these guys get an extra year as an RFA simply because I wanted to see whether Rick would PAY DeMeco and Pollard. I can understand waiting on OD (although I hope he gets paid as well) simply because of his injury, but DeMeco is the defensive captain and he has earned a payday.

Pollard along with Cushing brought some much needed intensity to the Texans defense. The extra RFA year might actually help him, if he has a great season next year he will then have 2 consecutive seasons to show teams that he can be a very good SS for them and will get an even bigger payday.

I hope OD earns Kellen Winslow type money by playing lights out next season coming off of injury.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Hehehe. However, we would have to be a 6 seed in the play-offs. Don't want to host a game. If we're in a SB in Jerry World, he can have his damn bonus.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 11:04 AM

C'mon man!! How about 2 extra games of home field advantage in the playoffs? :shades:

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
C'mon man!! How about 2 extra games of home field advantage in the playoffs? :shades:

I don't know about everyone else, but if it meant a Super Bowl trip, I'd be all for paying DeMeco some P-Manning money.

JB
03-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Because those games would be played in 2011!:whip:

eriadoc
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I have little sympathy for "willing" union employees who agreed to a contract that no longer seems to their benefit.

I get that. Why then do you not have a problem with willing owners who back out of contracts they signed themselves into just because they are no longer convenient? Contracts in the NFL are one-way contracts, for the most part.

As for the CBA, the owners are the ones who nullified the current CBA, two years early at that.

wagonhed
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM
pay these guys for the love of God

Texan_Bill
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Because those games would be played in 2011!:whip:

Bastage!!

Dutchrudder
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
2.5 million? Is that all? No wonder he's pissed. Hell, I can make that myself working at the hospital for the next 30 years.

He just went from making about 500k/year to making a little over 3 million. That's a damn good raise if you ask me. If I got a 6x pay increase at my job I would be ecstatic! He has only had one good season in the NFL, so I don't see why anyone would expect him to be signed to a 4-7 year contract at 5+ million a year. If he comes out next year with the same or better capability and proves that he can be a consistently good player, then he will be in a position to ask for that amount of money.

Demeco on the other hand has played at top 10 ILB ability all 4 years of his career and definitely deserves a new contract. 3 mill a year for a 2 time probowl linebacker is crazy. I hope they work something out with him in a couple of weeks, but I know that's not their most pressing issue given the protections of RFA.

I think the FO would be happy to see Owen Daniels get a high paying top 5 contract with another team and get a 1st & 3rd in return for him. I hope that's not the case, but I think that's how they feel.

RTP2110
03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Re: 9 games

Dallas visits us, making that game one of our 8 home games, the only 8 we play in Texas. It will be Texas game #9 for Dallas who will also play their 8 home games in Texas.

Also the post said 9 regular season games, playoffs wouldn't matter.

The poison pill is a non issue, amirite?

htownballa23
03-05-2010, 06:49 PM
He just went from making about 500k/year to making a little over 3 million. That's a damn good raise if you ask me. If I got a 6x pay increase at my job I would be ecstatic! He has only had one good season in the NFL, so I don't see why anyone would expect him to be signed to a 4-7 year contract at 5+ million a year. If he comes out next year with the same or better capability and proves that he can be a consistently good player, then he will be in a position to ask for that amount of money.

Demeco on the other hand has played at top 10 ILB ability all 4 years of his career and definitely deserves a new contract. 3 mill a year for a 2 time probowl linebacker is crazy. I hope they work something out with him in a couple of weeks, but I know that's not their most pressing issue given the protections of RFA.

I think the FO would be happy to see Owen Daniels get a high paying top 5 contract with another team and get a 1st & 3rd in return for him. I hope that's not the case, but I think that's how they feel.

I believe McClain had mentioned Demeco was offered Top 5 LB money last year, but he turned it down. Something along those lines. Now he should probably be paid like Top 3.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I believe McClain had mentioned Demeco was offered Top 5 LB money last year, but he turned it down. Something along those lines. Now he should probably be paid like Top 3.

That's the big difference right now. AJ and Winston were offered top 3 money at their positions and accepted extensions. DeMeco and OD turned down top offers because they want to be the highest paid players at their positions. That's the FO's dilemma.

Norg
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
This is really a union vs the league issues not really just a texans thing

don't worry pollard and demco money is coming your way there is no way we will lose u

Owen on the other hand who knows we are deep at TE ????? So yeah

CloakNNNdagger
03-06-2010, 03:57 PM
This just upped the ante for DeMeco.

Dolphins: Linebacker Karlos Dansby is cashing in on free agency with Miami. Dansby agreed to a $43 million, five-year deal, including $22 million guaranteed, a person familiar with the negotiations said. Dansby played inside linebacker last season for Arizona and can also play outside linebacker.

LINK (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100306/SPORTS04/3060331/Ravens+acquire+receiver+Boldin+from+Cardinals)

Ryan
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Pay Demeco whatever the hell he wants. Even if it makes him the highest paid linebacker.

disaacks3
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I get that. Why then do you not have a problem with willing owners who back out of contracts they signed themselves into just because they are no longer convenient? Contracts in the NFL are one-way contracts, for the most part.

As for the CBA, the owners are the ones who nullified the current CBA, two years early at that.

Uhm...no. The NFL is in the "Final league Year" of the current CBA. Under that stricture, there isn't a salary cap and there are additional changes regarding free agency.

The "final year" clauses are PART of the existing CBA, not something the owners unilaterally dreamed up on their own.

alphajoker
03-07-2010, 05:41 PM

LINK (http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100306/SPORTS04/3060331/Ravens+acquire+receiver+Boldin+from+Cardinals)

Agreed, and at the same time, gives both parties a baseline of which to work off which hopefully...will get DeMeco to a long-term deal soon.

BigBull17
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

And thats around what I would give Meco. I thought it would be 5y/40mil/20mil

Double Barrel
03-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Pay Demeco whatever the hell he wants. Even if it makes him the highest paid linebacker.

Word. :handshake: