PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Focus: How Do They Put Their Numbers Together?

Texans_Chick
03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
In the Texans forum, I've seen a number of people point to PFF data to make points about players.

On my Chronicle blog, there was a minor debate the other day in the Dunta Robinson post about the validity of their data. On whether people can actually chart the things they claim they can chart.

So I did a follow up blog post:

Pro Football Focus: How Do They Put Their Numbers Together? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/04/pro-football-focus-how-do-they-put-their-numbers-together/)

They talk about the limitations of the data, and the Football Outsider people further discuss why the PFF method for grading players is problematic.

The piece also has more stuff on Dunta Robinson in it.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I like their stats but their grading is more than problematic.

CloakNNNdagger
03-04-2010, 09:27 AM
In the Texans forum, I've seen a number of people point to PFF data to make points about players.

On my Chronicle blog, there was a minor debate the other day in the Dunta Robinson post about the validity of their data. On whether people can actually chart the things they claim they can chart.

So I did a follow up blog post:

Pro Football Focus: How Do They Put Their Numbers Together? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/04/pro-football-focus-how-do-they-put-their-numbers-together/)

They talk about the limitations of the data, and the Football Outsider people further discuss why the PFF method for grading players is problematic.

The piece also has more stuff on Dunta Robinson in it.

Thanks for bringing attention to this site and for the critical analysis of the analysis. The nice thing about access to this source is that you at least have a good starting point from which you can "adjust" your own personal interpretations according to variables that must still remain.

Texans_Chick
03-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the issue is...why isn't everybody doing this sort of grading if PFF is able to do it?

And I think the reason given is that game charting is hard enough without trying to assess blame on every play with imperfect information (bad TV angles, not knowing player responsibilities, etc).

But if retrospective information might be better on some things than the official numbers--like on tackles, penalties--why not put this information together?