PDA

View Full Version : The All Encompassing 2010 Free Agency Thread

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 12:14 AM
IDK if there is a free agency out there so I decided to create one so we can comment and keep track of where free agents go and whatnot.

Ryan Clark is a free agent free safety who played with the Steelers. If we can sign him for an affordable price then all we would need to focus on in the draft would be CB, RB, OG, and DT.

Clark is a solid football player IMO and would look nice next to Bernard Pollard (who can hopefully keep having the season he had). Getting Wilson or Haden at cornerback, with Pollard and Clark would make one heck of a defensive secondary unit!

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah, maybe one of the Mods can sticky this so we can throw all FA news into this thread rather than peppering new threads on the board? Replace the "Last Person Standing" thread with this one?

"The all Encompassing 2010 Free Agency Thread"

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Now if folks will just use it as intended.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Now if folks will just use it as intended.

Yeah, that's true. Thanks

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Interesting!

The Rams are reportedly "seriously considering" placing the lowest possible tender on restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe.

The tender is called "right of first refusal," and would allow St. Louis to match any offer sheet Atogwe receives, but give the team no draft pick in return. The designation would also cost the Rams $5.75 million less than giving Atogwe a typically mandated 10-percent raise on his 2009 salary ($6.976 million). It could also create a lot of bad blood between the team and player.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=168800

A 3rd rounder for Q? Some team's going to make out like a bandit if this is true.

According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Cardinals' asking price for Anquan Boldin is a third-round pick.

While Boldin is going on 30 and would likely require a pricey multi-year commitment, Arizona's demands appear to be plenty reasonable. Fellow trade candidate Brandon Marshall is roughly four years younger, but presents far more knucklehead factor, would ask for more money, and costs a first-round pick. The Cards will find plenty of suitors if Lombardi's report is true

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Lombardi is right. There is no "right of first refusal only" tender for a RFA. The lowest is original draft pick which in this case is a 3rd. I'd happily give up that.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Lombardi is right. There is no "right of first refusal only" tender for a RFA. The lowest is original draft pick which in this case is a 3rd. I'd happily give up that.

For Q or Atogwe?

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 10:42 AM
For Q or Atogwe?

Atogwe. Boldin is under contract but the rumor is they would take a 3rd.

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd love to see Anquan Boldin across from AJ. 30 is not the same number for WRs as it is for RBs, and Boldin would complement AJ nicely - especially for a 3rd round pick.

As for Atogwe, I don't know enough about him.

Since we're including RFAs on this list, may as well add Demeco Ryans. :brickwall:

If the Texans lose Ryans, I swear I'll come unglued.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Atogwe. Boldin is under contract but the rumor is they would take a 3rd.

Gotcha and I agree. I think I'd take Atogwe over Rolle. He'd be cheaper than what Rolle's wanting too.

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
A few other names I'll throw out:

At DT I've heard some people throw around the two Ravens FAs as potential bargains. Dwan Edwards and Justin Bannan. Edwards is a little younger (28) and a little lighter but Bannan is only 30 himself. I could see us signing one of them in a move similar to Shaun Cody last season although we would probably have to pay a bit more.

At OG the Broncos went and tendered Kuper with a 1st rounder so that option is out the window. Another name that some of you may recognize is Rex Hadnot. We pursued him a few years ago but he wound up signing with the Browns. Local guy, 28 years old and has some size to him. Could be a solid guy to pair next to Myers and he can pretty much play any interior line position. Not sure what kind of scratch he is going to want.

At S I am very curious to see our approach because Ryan Clark of the Steelers looks like a solid option and Darren Sharper is very intriguing as well. If we are quiet on this front it probably means they are happy with Eugene Wilson and are confident his rehab is going well.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Somebody is going to way overpay Darren Sharper expecting another 9 picks and be real unhappy in 2010 when it is 2-3 and he gets torched by Dallas Clark , Whitten, etc. Hopefully it isn't us.

jshabang
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/3/4/1355992/rams-considering-lowest-rfa-offer

man the news just keeps gettin better & better for the texans.......

when did Weird "Al" Davis start runnin the rams???....how in the hell do you offer your stud safety a Low Tender.........??

for one it pisses your franchise player off....second of all they dont plan on matchin any deal he receives because if that was the case they would offer him his long term deal now....IMHO

Richard you got young stud options out there....and if we could get this guy manning our free safty spot for next 5 yrs.......mannnn I dont even want to think about that!!!!!

some of these tenders out here are better options than the draft with this young crop of talent out here to be had......and this being a definaite need in the draft its a no brainer to at least try.....IMHO

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Another name that some of you may recognize is Rex Hadnot.

LOL, we had an entire thread of Hadnot puns. It was awful. If we had not passed on him, we might still be posting in that thread.

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Somebody is going to way overpay Darren Sharper expecting another 9 picks and be real unhappy in 2010 when it is 2-3 and he gets torched by Dallas Clark , Whitten, etc. Hopefully it isn't us.

That is a possibility but I don't expect him to sign anywhere long term. Let him stick around for two years and maybe we get one great season. Also, this is the third season in his career that he has had 9 picks. Another season with 7 and another with 6. 2-3 picks is a possibility but 4-5 would be a better bet.

ChampionTexan
03-04-2010, 11:17 AM

There appears to be at least some dissent on this position. Don't know what the real answer is, but here's another voice heard from:

With the Rams reportedly thinking seriously about using the lowest-level restricted free agency tender on safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, a franchise player in 2009, our interpretation of the CBA on this point has been confirmed -- a restricted free agent who is limited only by a right of first refusal is not entitled to a one-year salary that equates to 110 percent of his 2009 pay.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/a-caveat-on-the-lowest-level-rfa-tender/)

Here's another link going back to an earlier PFT post explaining things more from the beginning.
LINK2 (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/teams-have-a-fifth-option-for-rfa-tenders/)

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Atogwe would be great but $$ will be too high.

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I would love to lure Antonie Bethea away from the Colts, he would instantly improve our secondary.

But, realistically here is who I would target:

Ryan Clark (Missing some organs but is a solid football player)

Nick Collins (Ultra productive player but well cost too much)

Richard Marshall (Up and coming CB IMO)

Chester Taylor (Can give you 1,000+ yards rushing if you let him carry the rock)

Marshal Yanda (Powerful guard who can open up holes in the run game)

Stephen Gostkowski (Probably not gonna' happen)

Michael Koenen (Punter to replace Turk)

Second Honeymoon
03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Atogwe would be great but $$ will be too high.

of course the $$ will be too high. basically any amount of money is too high for Bob McNugget. he wants to keep ordering off the Value Meal and we all know what kind of quality that gets you. The type of quality that makes us the losing franchise we are and the .500 franchise we are under Kubiak...

...but screw improving, lets extend the contract to our .500 coach. After all, he is cheap and more than happy to have a job. He even accepts a player of the caliber of David Carr as his starting QB just to get a job.

Until we actually go out and spend what it takes to win, expect more losing football from the Texans. But we can beat those Rams, Raiders, and Seahawks....all day long. God forbid a quality divisional win.

Capers > Kubiak (sounds crazy but Capers had Carr as his albatross..not his fault)

at least Capers had the team playing decent in the division, even when we were an expansion franchise. kubiak is even worse in division than Capers and has much more to work with and doesn't preside over an expansion team with David McNair err Carr on his roster.

Prove me wrong, Bob. You are cheap.

JB
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
of course the $$ will be too high. basically any amount of money is too high for Bob McNugget. he wants to keep ordering off the Value Meal and we all know what kind of quality that gets you. The type of quality that makes us the losing franchise we are and the .500 franchise we are under Kubiak...

...but screw improving, lets extend the contract to our .500 coach. After all, he is cheap and more than happy to have a job. He even accepts a player of the caliber of David Carr as his starting QB just to get a job.

Until we actually go out and spend what it takes to win, expect more losing football from the Texans. But we can beat those Rams, Raiders, and Seahawks....all day long. God forbid a quality divisional win.

Capers > Kubiak (sounds crazy but Capers had Carr as his albatross..not his fault)

at least Capers had the team playing decent in the division, even when we were an expansion franchise. kubiak is even worse in division than Capers and has much more to work with and doesn't preside over an expansion team with David McNair err Carr on his roster.

You come across sounding like a teen girl who just got dumped for the first time. If you hate McNair and Kubiak so much, why dont you go and play with Uncle Drayton for a while.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Dude, don't you have "McNair is cheap" "Kubiak sucks" threads already? Everybody understands your position on the owner and organization. Give it a rest already!

Your constant ranting used to be somewhat humerous in a childish sort of way, but it's gotten old dude. And no, I don't think everything's hunky-dory with the organization but I'm not going to whine about it on a daily basis.

This is the 2010 Free Agent thread. If you have news or rumors then post them. If not, go to one of your ***** threads.

Blake
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Personally I think we should make a big play on Chester Taylor.

He only has 1,028 rushing attempts over his carrer. Compared to Thomas Jones (2,280) (120% more attempts) and LaDainian Tomlinson (2,880) (180% more attempts)

Basically what I am saying is that he has a ton left in the tank, and on the tires. We can grab a running back in the draft whenever we want now since we have our starter.

We also need to make a big play to get Kevin Walter back, or consider making a trade for Brandon Marshall who will be 26 later this month. Also I hear that Arizona is shopping Anquan Boldin (will be 30 in October) for a 3rd round pick (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35698416/ns/sports-player_news/). Obviously Marshall and Boldin will demand very high contracts, but it would make our football team significantly better.

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
You come across sounding like a teen girl who just got dumped for the first time. If you hate McNair and Kubiak so much, why dont you go and play with Uncle Drayton for a while.

Or go root for Team Brokeback Mountain up in Dallas

Blake
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Or go root for Team Brokeback Mountain up in Dallas

I agree that he should stop talking about the owner/management in every single thread, but why does he have to stop being a fan of the team that represents his city just because he doesnt agree with the owner/management?

El Tejano
03-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I remember alot of people wanted us to pick him up last year. Now it looks like he can be purchased on the cheap.

Rams | Atogwe receives lowest tender offer
Comment (0)
Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:57:59 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams have assigned the lowest tender offer to restricted free-agent FS Oshiomogho Atogwe. The offer is a one-year deal worth $1.226 million.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hF34YmbZ
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

mariowillshine15
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
He's a two-way playmaker. Makes plays for his team and the other team.

He will take a few to the house but he will give up big plays gambling as well.

But for such a low tender it'd be worth a shot.

JWarren14
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Think this is being discussed in the "all encompassing FA thread."'

But it would be a good addition and slim down our "needs" list and allow us to go BPA in the draft. Probably be a lot of money thrown at him though, might not win that one.

JWarren14
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Between the time I started my response it was already sent to the thread, well done mods.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
FWIW

Bengals released WR Laveranues Coles.

http://twitter.com/CinBengalsNFL/status/9989401966

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I agree that he should stop talking about the owner/management in every single thread, but why does he have to stop being a fan of the team that represents his city just because he doesnt agree with the owner/management?

It sounds like he wants an owner whose hands on and makes dumb impulsive decisions and overspends. Seems like Jerry Jones is the perfect fit for him.

Second Honeymoon
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
It sounds like he wants an owner whose hands on and makes dumb impulsive decisions and overspends. Seems like Jerry Jones is the perfect fit for him.

overspends? what does that mean? there is no salary cap this year and you have to spend money to attract top talent. you can overpay losers like Carr, Greenwood, and Weaver all day but at some point you have to pay to play. He is more interested in profit margins than Wins and Losses...even though dude's franchise has increased in value almost half a billion...but whatever, Bob, your fans want you to make more money and not spend it on the team. your a lucky owner, this stuff wouldn't fly in other cities.

my point is why are we talking about Free Agents when McNair has already said that he isn't going to be a player in the FA game. He is more happy dumping payroll than adding to it.

as for my 'childish' and 'teen' behavior. if that is what you call telling it like it is, then call me childish.

as for your blast on Jerry Jones and how the Cowboys would be a perfect fit. Well they at least win championships, make the playoffs, and try and be competitive. They aren't constantly looking for ways to nickel and dime the operation either....unlike some owners we know.

if you think McNair is doing everything he can to win, fine. I don't think that is the case. i think Bob is just doing a paper chase because the $500 million increase his franchise has made in value over 8 years, isn't enough for him. I mean half a billion dollars is chicken feed. He needs to make more money and dump more quality players.

When the Texans are circling the drain at midseason...again...I wonder how many people will be lauding his penny pinching ways.

and furthermore, if you don't like what I say about McNair then don't read it. put me on ignore if I am that much of a stick up your arse. I just tell it like it is and I go by results..not best wishes and blatant homering.

McNair needs to spend the money, this is the year to do it....but instead, he has done the exact opposite. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do but based on his track record he only gives money to players that suck or he overpays for 2nd tier talent. If Bob's track record on Free Agency doesn't belong in an 'all encompassing' free agent thread then where the hell does it belong. I am not going to sugarcoat it. Get some players that can play.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 03:13 PM
McNair needs to spend the money, this is the year to do it....

No it isn't since the situation with the CBA means over 200 players who would be the prime UFAs such as DeMeco will be RFAs instead. This is a horrible free agent year. And that's where you go off the reservation. You'll ignore that and continue to rant about McNair being cheap just like you ignored that Todd Wade was the top OT available that off-season, that Weaver was the top DE available that off-season, that Smith was the top 1-2 DEs available last off-season.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
if that is what you call telling it like it is,

I just tell it like it is

That's the problem. You don't tell it like it is, you tell it how YOU think it is. Which in reality you haven't a freakin clue and you're like a broken record. None of us know what goes on there.

And you saying this is the year to sign FA's. Pfft! Just more proof

Section516
03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Sproles given highest tender, 1st and 3rd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4966109

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Redskins released WR Antwaan Randle El.

This one was a no-brainer. Randle El was due a $4.25M salary in addition to a $6.25M roster bonus. The Redskins are also looking to upgrade at the position, which left Randle El without a role. Though his playmaking days are in the past, the 30-year-old should draw interest on the open market as a quality slot receiver.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
as for my 'childish' and 'teen' behavior. if that is what you call telling it like it is, then call me childish.

You can "tell it like it is" without all the histrionics.

That's the problem. You don't tell it like it is, you tell it how YOU think it is. Which in reality you haven't a freakin clue and you're like a broken record. None of us know what goes on there.

And there's also this.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Redskins released CB Fred Smoot.

Smoot has been in decline for a couple of years now, so his release isn't a surprise considering the $3.9M he scheduled to earn. Turning 31 in April, Smoot will have to settle for a nickel or dime role in free agency.

The Colts failed to extend a tender offer to CB Marlin Jackson, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Jackson is recovering from ACL surgery to his left knee after undergoing the same surgery on his right knee the year before. With the emergence of Jerraud Powers and Jacob Lacey, Jackson was no longer needed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

JB
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Jackson might be worth bringing in to camp on the cheap.

Texecutioner
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Last week we learned that agent Drew Rosenhaus was telling teams that the Jets would cut cornerback Lito Sheppard.

Today it happened.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported, and a league source confirmed to PFT, that the Jets have cut Sheppard.

Sheppard would have received a $10 million bonus if he had been on the roster on the fifth day of the league year, so it's no surprise that he was released.

The 28-year-old Sheppard played in 11 games for the Jets in 2009, starting nine of them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/jets-cut-lito-sheppard/

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
There's a 2010 FA thread "sticky" so we can keep everything in one place for easy reading.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70022

JWarren14
03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Chargers release DT Jamal Williams

Comment: Williams is an experienced NT who possesses very good size and strength for the position. He is a physical run defender who is tough to move off the ball and does an excellent job of occupying blocks up front. He can stack and shed single blocks easily and often commands double teams to keep LBs free to run to the ball. At 33, his age is a concern, but he has rare size and strength and he plays with good hand use to make plays in a small area. As a pass rusher he lacks overall speed and quickness. He relies mostly on power moves to create a strong push up the middle but has a hard time clearing contact quickly to generate sack production.

Cushing and Ryans getting upfield =)

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4966109)

Hey somebody has to replace Zgonnia at some point....right?

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Litto Shepard was released from the Jets. Dunno how good he is but he was a stud with the Eagles.

Second Honeymoon
03-04-2010, 06:00 PM
telling it like it is since this board debuted

some people didn't like the honesty in the past when it was staring them in the face, not surprised people don't like it now.

mcnair is cheap, icak. those FAs were 2nd or 3rd tier per usual. he will pay money to losers like Carr and Weaver, but God forbid get players that can actually make an impact.

sorry but it sucks to have one of the wealthiest owners, highest revenue teams, yet the next big signing will the be the first big signing.

antonio smith was an ok signing but there were better DL out there, it would have just cost more than McNair was willing to part with. he is greedy.

i just don't see how an increase in $500 million for franchise isn't enough profit....lets start cutting more quality players. Bob is 'buildling through the draft' all the while getting rid of players that we drafted that were good.

WolverineFan
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
antonio smith was an ok signing but there were better DL out there, it would have just cost more than McNair was willing to part with. he is greedy.

Smith was one of the premier defensive FA's last year. Name the better D-Lineman that were available. Also, how does that make McNair greedy? He gave A. Smith a pretty good contract last year.

Bob is 'buildling through the draft' all the while getting rid of players that we drafted that were good.

Like who? Dunta? He's the only one and the reason he was released is because he was asking for about double his worth. You don't pay a solid #1 CB all-pro/superstar money when he's not worth it. You can take that money and make better use of it. Name the other "good" players we have drafted that we let walk.

Also, all good teams "build through the draft". How many titles did the Patriots win while they were building through the draft? How good have the Colts been while building through the draft? Now tell me how good the Redskins have been while trading away all their picks and signing every big FA.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
mcnair is cheap, icak. those FAs were 2nd or 3rd tier per usual.

No they were the best available for FA money each time. They ended up failures but you can't debate it or you would have provided examples. But you can't.

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
NFLN is saying Dunta is going to Atlanta.

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 06:25 PM
We may think McNair is cheap, but he isn't. He listens to his coaches and lets them decide who they want, McNair writes the cheques. At least he ain't Dan Snyder or Al Davis.

Would you rather have an owner who throws money around or the one that listens to his coahces and plays it safe, only getting the guys we need and can afford?

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM

That could help us out in the draft if they decide to pass on a CB in the first or second round. Good luck to him if thats the case.

WolverineFan
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
That could help us out in the draft if they decide to pass on a CB in the first or second round. Good luck to him if thats the case.

I think they are pretty set on taking a DE in the 1st but I agree. If Kyle Wilson is available I would hate for ATL to snatch him right in front of us.

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

I heard it from Adam Schefter that he is going to Atlanta (Dunta is from Georgia).

Would be nice to grab a CB in the draft since, IMO, there is a sudden drop in the talent level among the CBs in the draft.

WolverineFan
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I heard it from Adam Schefter that he is going to Atlanta (Dunta is from Georgia).

Would be nice to grab a CB in the draft since, IMO, there is a sudden drop in the talent level among the CBs in the draft.

I'm just glad he will be leaving the conference. There were rumors that Tennessee was very interested, but I'm glad Atlanta will get him. At least that's how it looks right now.

J_R
03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Lock/Move if necessary, thanks.

http://twitter.com/LanceZierlein

Sources tell me the Skins are going to come charging HARD after Peppers. Bears may come calling, but Snyder's wallet is too powerful.

I expect Peppers to be a done deal by tomorrow. The bloodbath in Washington today paved the way for Peppers just they did it for Haynesworth

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/peppers-to-redskins-rumors-go-to-full-boil/

Less than two hours until the start of free agency, rumors are flying that the Washington Redskins will soon be signing defensive end Julius Peppers.

The thinking had been that, if the Redskins decide they want Peppers, they'll get Peppers. It just wasn't clear whether the Redskins want Peppers.

Our pal Lance Zierlein of KGOW in Houston has reported, via Twitter, that the Redskins will come "charging hard" after Peppers and that he expects a deal to be done by tomorrow. Last year, Zierlein reported that the Redskins would land defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth days before it happened.

And we're hearing that the situation has progressed well beyond the Redskins "charging hard." We're hearing it's essentially done -- and that barring an unexpected development the only question is whether the deal will be announced before or after the sun rises in D.C.

That's bad news for the Bears, who had planned to make a strong push for Peppers.

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
The Redskins must have the most creative accounting team in the NFL to keep making big splashes in FA like this yet stay under the cap...

Oh well, its not like it'll show up in the W/L column for them...

kiwitexansfan
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
So they'll have half their cap tied up in Haynesworth and Peppers?

TheRealJoker
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
So they'll have half their cap tied up in Haynesworth and Peppers?

This is almost like a lazier version of the Vikings DL. They just need to overpay one more marquee player and watch them play without the fire that got them their payday...

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
What is this cap that you speak of?

devo-x
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Will Dunta Robinson improve the Falcons secondary? :thinking:

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
We can cross off Antonio Cromartie, he has been traded to the Jets in exchange for a 3rd round pick in 2011 which can change to a 2nd depending on his performance.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/chargers-ship-cromartie-to-jets-for-2011-draft-pick/

Texan4Ever
03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
The Raiders are offically the dumbest organization in America, Kirk Morrison was tendered only a 3rd?!?! He has to be one of the top MLB in the NFL and is highly underrated as a player.

Second Honeymoon
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
No cap
mcnair has his own cap though
it's called windfall profits

J_R
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
michaelombardi 35 minutes to go till Free Agency.....Bears in the lead for Peppers? Maybe

LanceZierlein Is it going to be playing for Rod Marinelli vs. huge Redskins paycheck for Peppers? Bears might be desperate enough to engage in a battle

Second Honeymoon
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
personally, i would prefer Peppers go to the Bears because we play the NFC East this year and its brutal enough without Peppers being added to it.

The Bears need to do something because they don't have any draft picks and that means there is some extra money in the coffers.

It will be interesting to see how big the contract is that he ends up signing.

Wouldn't it be sweet if the Texans swooped in and plucked him up this year? Playing opposite Mario could help both of them get their butts in gear sometimes. I can only imagine how many Holding calls teams would be getting against two dynamic albeit sporadic enormous talents.

Aint gonna happen, but one can dream...maybe RickNair will scoop someone else up and surprise us all. never know.

I would be happy with LT or Jones myself...but that probably won't happen either. I have read a few articles where they mention Chester Taylor as a possibility...Jamal Williams got released. He would be a helluva pick to help our DT situation. We could then draft a Dan Williams and we have a short term and long term solution at DT irregardless of whatever potential progress Okoye makes in 2010.

cmon, ricknair. make dreams happen.

J_R
03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
LanceZierlein I hope the Texans make a smart move or two in free agency, but my guess is that they will make one move and it will be low profile.

I wouldnt doubt ^^^that^^^

J_R
03-04-2010, 11:09 PM
LanceZierlein Marinelli might end up being big draw for peppers

LanceZierlein Holy crap! Source close to bears says peppers isn't going to get away fom them. This feels like a gunfight

J_R
03-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Scratch that. Peppers bound to end up in Chicago. Visiting tomorrow(presumably to talk and get a deal done) along with Chester Taylor.

J_R
03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
michaelombardi Peppers on his way to Chicago, not to visit the campus, but to sign deal.how many first visits do not result in a signing?Bears won this one

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Vanden Bosch might make a trip to Detroit and rejoin his former DC, the Lions are also close to a trade which will send the Brown's Corey Williams to the Lions.

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Just all talk right now but would be surprised if some of these didnt get done.

Peppers,Taylor, Manumaleuna to Chicago
Kampman to Seattle
Vanden Bosch to Lions
Dunta Robinson to Falcons
Dansby to Miami
Rolle to NYG
Kevin Walter to Baltimore
Chad Clifton to Washington

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Free agent OG Chester Pitts is reportedly drawing interest from at least three teams.

In addition to the Texans, the Dolphins and Lions are also believed to be interested in the 31-year-old. Pitts underwent microfracture meniscus surgery in September, so he's going to be a risky signing this year.

J_R
03-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Lions wasted no time getting on the board. Free-agent WR Nate Burleson reached agreement with Detroit on a five-year deal.

Hoss
03-05-2010, 02:09 AM
News
Lions sign WR Burleson to five-year deal

Posted: March 5th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Detroit Lions, Free Agency 2010, Nate Burleson

The first signing of free agency happened a little over two hours into the period on Friday, as WR Nate Burleson has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions, a league source told NFL Networkís Jason LaCanfora.

NFL.comís Steve Wyche reports that Burleson has agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract. The former Seattle Seahawks wide out will receive $11 million guaranteed, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Burleson drew significant initial interest, and Seattle, his former club, was interested in retaining him, as well. He played in 13 games in 2009, finishing with 63 catches for 812 yards and three touchdowns.
SORCE: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/lions-sign-wr-burleson-to-five-year-deal/

m5kwatts
03-05-2010, 02:21 AM
overspends? what does that mean? there is no salary cap this year and you have to spend money to attract top talent. you can overpay losers like Carr, Greenwood, and Weaver all day but at some point you have to pay to play. He is more interested in profit margins than Wins and Losses...even though dude's franchise has increased in value almost half a billion...but whatever, Bob, your fans want you to make more money and not spend it on the team. your a lucky owner, this stuff wouldn't fly in other cities.

my point is why are we talking about Free Agents when McNair has already said that he isn't going to be a player in the FA game. He is more happy dumping payroll than adding to it.

as for your blast on Jerry Jones and how the Cowboys would be a perfect fit. Well they at least win championships, make the playoffs, and try and be competitive. They aren't constantly looking for ways to nickel and dime the operation either....unlike some owners we know.

if you think McNair is doing everything he can to win, fine. I don't think that is the case. i think Bob is just doing a paper chase because the $500 million increase his franchise has made in value over 8 years, isn't enough for him. I mean half a billion dollars is chicken feed. He needs to make more money and dump more quality players.

When the Texans are circling the drain at midseason...again...I wonder how many people will be lauding his penny pinching ways.

and furthermore, if you don't like what I say about McNair then don't read it. put me on ignore if I am that much of a stick up your arse. I just tell it like it is and I go by results..not best wishes and blatant homering.

McNair needs to spend the money, this is the year to do it....but instead, he has done the exact opposite. I hope he proves me wrong, I really do but based on his track record he only gives money to players that suck or he overpays for 2nd tier talent. If Bob's track record on Free Agency doesn't belong in an 'all encompassing' free agent thread then where the hell does it belong. I am not going to sugarcoat it. Get some players that can play.

Hate to break it to ya, but so does every owner in the league. Thats why they're in the business. You think they do this stuff pro bono?

And as for Jerry Jones, his 'hands on' aggressive overspending and getting in the way has hurt the franchise. Him bringing in TO screwed up the locker room. Him replacing TO with Roy Williams was even worse, losing a 1st and 3rd round pick. Its best when owners let football people make football decisions, not immature owners that behave like fantasy football owners.

beerlover
03-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Will Dunta Robinson improve the Falcons secondary? :thinking:

only helps solidify Kyle Wilson to the Texans :)

El Tejano
03-05-2010, 07:24 AM
News
Lions sign WR Burleson to five-year deal

Posted: March 5th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Detroit Lions, Free Agency 2010, Nate Burleson

The first signing of free agency happened a little over two hours into the period on Friday, as WR Nate Burleson has agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions, a league source told NFL Networkís Jason LaCanfora.

NFL.comís Steve Wyche reports that Burleson has agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract. The former Seattle Seahawks wide out will receive $11 million guaranteed, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Burleson drew significant initial interest, and Seattle, his former club, was interested in retaining him, as well. He played in 13 games in 2009, finishing with 63 catches for 812 yards and three touchdowns.
SORCE: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/lions-sign-wr-burleson-to-five-year-deal/

Detroit's way of telling the fans a WR will not be drafted in the first round.

mexican_texan
03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Still making a fortune based on what he did five years ago.

Blake
03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
No it isn't since the situation with the CBA means over 200 players who would be the prime UFAs such as DeMeco will be RFAs instead. This is a horrible free agent year. And that's where you go off the reservation. You'll ignore that and continue to rant about McNair being cheap just like you ignored that Todd Wade was the top OT available that off-season, that Weaver was the top DE available that off-season, that Smith was the top 1-2 DEs available last off-season.

No they were the best available for FA money each time. They ended up failures but you can't debate it or you would have provided examples. But you can't.

icak. You say that this is a horrible FA year that has Julius Peppers, Antrel Rolle, Bryant, Dansby and Chester Taylor, yet McNair decided to open up the pocket book on free agents the year that (and I quote) Todd Wade was the top OT available, and the year that Weaver was the top DE available.

So how is this a worse FA year than the ones where we spent big money on a couple of high priced free agents?

texasguy346
03-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Schefter is reporting that the Colts have re-signed Gary Brackett.

twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10024984495)

Blake
03-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Schefter is reporting that the Colts have re-signed Gary Brackett.

twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10024984495)

Gary Brackett is to the Colts, what DeMeco Ryans is to the Texans. Lets hope the Texans get this handled...

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 08:18 AM
icak. You say that this is a horrible FA year that has Julius Peppers, Antrel Rolle, Bryant, Dansby and Chester Taylor, yet McNair decided to open up the pocket book on free agents the year that (and I quote) Todd Wade was the top OT available, and the year that Weaver was the top DE available.

So how is this a worse FA year than the ones where we spent big money on a couple of high priced free agents?

I think he's talking about this year in general, not the actual FA's. Which is true I think. It's not a good year to sign FA's despite the FA class being much stronger this year.

Blake
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I think he's talking about this year in general, not the actual FA's. Which is true I think. It's not a good year to sign FA's despite the FA class being much stronger this year.

Not a good year for you and I, or not a good year for Bob McNair?

Personally I think every year is a good year to add talented Free Agents, but that is just me. If you want ot wait around until they resolve the CBA to start adding Free Agent talent then that is your choice.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Personally I think every year is a good year to add talented Free Agents, but that is just me. If you want ot wait around until they resolve the CBA to start adding Free Agent talent then that is your choice.

It's a bad year for FA because a majority of them are older and on the downside of their careers. If it were a normal FA year we'd have 4-5 year players on the market too. Players like OD, D-Ryans, Pollard, etc would all be on the market unless they were re-signed or franchised. So that takes away almost all the players in theit mid-20's and leaves us with 30+ players. Yes, there are a few younger (28-29), but most are 30+

There are over 200 RFA's this off-season that would've been UFA's under the old CBA.

So yeah, that makes for a pathetic FA

infantrycak
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM

It's right there in the first line you quoted above Super Mario - there are over 200 less UFAs this year than there normally would be. If this was the situation last year Antonio Smith for instance would have been RFA not UFA. That doesn't mean there aren't a few high profile guys but for the most part what is available are (a) older players looking for their last contract or (b) guys who are already underperforming their high dollar contracts and being let go. And some judgment has to be applied. I'd like to have Rolle but if I was McNair I'm not making a never made the pro-bowl guy into the highest paid safety in the NFL.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd think the Lions would want to be working on their Oline.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Bears aren't happy about missing the playoffs and being 3rd in their division. Adding Taylor and Peppers would be a nice addition. No 1st and 2nd and with the death of Gaines Adams, its looking like they are trying to make the lack of draft picks a positive thing for their team and their fans.

Tough division though. Even the Lions look to be trying to improve their team's talent level. Adding Nate Burleson as a #2 behind Charles Johnson and going after VandenBosch really strong, should help their team greatly. Oh and they have a high draft pick and will get their choice between Suh and McCoy as their DT. With the Vikings and Packers already good and the Bears and Lions looking to have improved themselves drastically before the season, the NFC North could be the best division in football. Chicago just needs to add a quality WR and they would be set. I wonder if they could get Brandon Marshall for a 1st Rounder in 2011?

J_R
03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah, that division looks to be an improved one. We'll have to wait and see. As for Chicago, they could give up their 3rd round pick while at it(if they have it) and get Boldin.

dsorc
03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
KVB is no longer in the AFC south. He has agreed on a 4 year deal with Detroit. (http://www.freep.com/article/20100305/SPORTS01/100305029/1319/Lions-Vanden-Bosch-reach-deal)

J_R
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Eric Winston a happy man today.

Adam_Schefter Free agent defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch agrees to a four-year, $26 million deal with Lions.

steelbtexan
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Texans in FA=

Same as always, Texans sit on their hands while other teams are busy signing the best FA's in a weak FA class.

Looks like unless Smithiak have a 2006 type draft, we the paying fans will be looking at another 7-9, 9-7 season. AHHHHHHH

djohn2oo8
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
The Panthers have officially parted ways with Jake Delhomme and declared that Matt Moore will be the starting quarterback going into training camp

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4968217

BIG TORO
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Since Vick is intrested in playing there they might pick him up!

Blake
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
It's right there in the first line you quoted above Super Mario - there are over 200 less UFAs this year than there normally would be. If this was the situation last year Antonio Smith for instance would have been RFA not UFA. That doesn't mean there aren't a few high profile guys but for the most part what is available are (a) older players looking for their last contract or (b) guys who are already underperforming their high dollar contracts and being let go. And some judgment has to be applied. I'd like to have Rolle but if I was McNair I'm not making a never made the pro-bowl guy into the highest paid safety in the NFL.

You cannot always fill your holes with rookies. Since there are less Free Agents this year we should be working hard to get one that fills our needs.

Sometimes you have to spend to add talent. If McNair thinks we are going to fnd a starting caliber FS, CB, RB, OL with the draft then he is delusional.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
HWSNBN-QB- Giants Mar. 5 - 11:45 am et

Free agent HWSNBN will meet with the 49ers this weekend, a source tells Giants beat writer Mike Garafolo.
HWSNBN, the No. 1 overall pick back in 2002, would not realistically challenge Alex Smith for the starting job. HWSNBN hasn't started a game since 2007 and threw just three touchdown passes in four starts that season. He'd likely compete with Shaun Hill and Nate Davis for the backup job in San Francisco.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Related: 49ers

Lucky Niners fans if they sign him. Guy's got bangin' hair.

HouSportsWriter
03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
any news on lt / jones ?

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
any news on lt / jones ?

Nope, I expect Thomas Jones to return to the Jets, but as for L.T. things are quite.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I think the veteran RB's will be waiting a while. Maybe even after the draft for some of them.

Texans34Life
03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Jets-re-signing-Thomas-Jones-;_ylt=AtYL8MmHk9WNZi.sHMCi_cZDubYF?urn=nfl,226068

Jets re-signing Thomas Jones?

Texans34Life
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Damn, we could of got something for Dunta last season.... damn McNair! :mad:

Adam_Schefter

Before last year's trade deadline, Falcons tried to deal for Dunta Robinson. Now they can make a deal for him -- without surrendering pick.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Damn, we could of got something for Dunta last season.... damn McNair! :mad:

We were like 3-3 and on an up swing. Why trade your starting CB? We should have tagged him this year and told ATL to make an offer.

JWarren14
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
What about Kampman? We signed Smith last year, so I don't think we will sign Kampman, but he could be a good addition to the locker room and help us on passing downs. Supposedly the Bucs are after him, here is what the NFC South blogger has to say:

I say go get him. Yeah, Kampmanís coming off a down year, but that was mainly because the Packers switched to a 3-4 defense that didnít suit his skills and he had some injury problems. This guy is a solid player. Heís not Julius Peppers, but he also doesnít have the downside or the price tag that Peppers does.
Kampman is an established pass rusher. More importantly, Kampman is a leader. Thatís something the Bucs didnít really have last year. Iíve been in Green Bayís locker room and it was instantly obvious Kampman was a leader and someone you want in your locker room.

Go get him.

eriadoc
03-05-2010, 12:07 PM
What about Kampman? We signed Smith last year, so I don't think we will sign Kampman, but he could be a good addition to the locker room and help us on passing downs. Supposedly the Bucs are after him, here is what the NFC South blogger has to say:

Kampman is a guy I think you could go after pretty aggressively, yet still retain somewhat of a safety net in the contract terms. He's coming off an injury, so you could give him an attractive, largely front-loaded deal that's heavy in incentives for this year with a performance-based opt-out clause down the road. So if he performs, he makes a bunch of money up front, which makes the back end more palatable for the team, and if he doesn't perform, he doesn't achieve many of the incentives and you have an opt-out clause. Now, the only way he'd agree to such a deal is if the front end was attractive enough, but that's something they ought to look into.

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Peppers and Chester Taylor in Chicago taking their physicals - likely to get done.

Kampman visiting Philadelphia

ST/WR Osgood visiting Jags

TE Ben Watson visiting Seahawks

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 12:15 PM
We were like 3-3 and on an up swing. Why trade your starting CB? We should have tagged him this year and told ATL to make an offer.

that would cost money. mcnair is too cheap. it sucks but its true.

djohn2oo8
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Peppers and Chester Taylor in Chicago taking their physicals - likely to get done.

Kampman visiting Philadelphia

ST/WR Osgood visiting Jags

TE Ben Watson visiting Seahawks

McNair, you stupid ****!!!!!!

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
(DE, Ravens) Dwan Edwards to visit w/ Seattle

(DT/DE,Ravens)Justin Bannan to visit w/ Browns. Broncos are "making a hard push" to sign him.

Scott Fuijita also to visit w/ Browns

T.O. "could be moving up the list" for the Bengals

Redskins interested in Rex Grossman

JWarren14
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
The Bears have no picks the 1st 2 rounds and need to make a big push in FA. These FA are their 1st 2 picks.

JB
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
McNair, you stupid ****!!!!!!

Why are you cussing McNair because players are visiting other teams?

J_R
03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Chester Taylor reaches agreement with Bears on a four-year, $12.5 million deal that includes $7 million gtd in year one.

David Carr is the "49ers to lose"

Corey Williams trade to Lions official. Williams and 2010 7th round pick to Detroit. Browns recieve 2010 5th round pick.

Correction on the last post: Kampman not visiting Eagles. Just reps and team talking.

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM
So long Chester Taylor. Good luck in Chicago.

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Adam says Peppers should be signed soon by Chicago as well.

HuttoKarl
03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I think Barwin is going to be our passing down safety net.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Chester Taylor reaches agreement with Bears on a four-year, $12.5 million deal that includes $7 million gtd in year one.

David Carr is the "49ers to lose"

Corey Williams trade to Lions official. Williams and 2010 7th round pick to Detroit. Browns recieve 2010 5th round pick.

Correction on the last post: Kampman not visiting Eagles. Just reps and team talking.

Thats all he got? Mother ****er that's cheap. That makes me a very angry Aaron.

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)

The Chicago whopper: Julius Peppers' contract in Chicago is expected to pay him roughly $40 million in the deal's first three years.

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow, Chicago could be on its way to rebound next season. Pepper, Urlacher (if he's healthy), Briggs, thats a good defense.

The Detroit Lions made some moves and might shake things up in the draft now that they've got Corey Williams.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
yup, McNair wouldn't spend $3million a year to upgrade our RB position.

what a horse's arse...

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
yup, mcnair wouldn't spend $3million a year to upgrade our rb position.

What a horse's arse...

qft.

J_R
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Adam_Schefter The Chicago whopper: Julius Peppers' contract in Chicago is expected to pay him roughly $40 million in the deal's first three years.

Tyler Brayton, Ben Hamilton to visit Seahawks

Chiefs showing interest in Thomas Jones

Antrel Rolle - Giants are the favorite according to one report though another says its down to only the Cardinals and Giants. Expect that to get done soon, probably with the Giants.

BigBull17
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, Chicago could be on its way to rebound next season. Pepper, Urlacher (if he's healthy), Briggs, thats a good defense.

The Detroit Lions made some moves and might shake things up in the draft now that they've got Corey Williams.

Nah, u need two DT's, and I would still take Suh.

J_R
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Seattle is strongly considering signing Broncos restricted free-agent WR Brandon Marshall. A huge move.

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM

None of that is going to matter a lick if Cutler can't figure it out. If he starts playing significantly better they look solid on paper.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
:hides:

Browns | May have interest in Carr
Comment (0)
Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:16:14 -0800

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports the Cleveland Browns could have interest in unrestricted free-agent QB David Carr (Giants).

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Cjeremy635
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Sickening not seeing us as contenders for any of these FA. I'm f'in pissed! :choke:

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Teams actually want David Carr? Guess the Browns are looking for someone to take the hits ans sacks while they groom there future QB!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/don_banks/10/09/week5/p1_carr.jpg

Blake
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Oh boy -- Brandon Marshall expected to be in Seattle on Saturday to visit the Seahawks and see if they can hammer out an offer sheet.

J_R
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Source: Julius Peppers, Chicago Bears finalizing six-year deal - http://tinyurl.com/ygta9fd

and as Super Mario pointed out

Adam_Schefter Oh boy -- Brandon Marshall expected to be in Seattle on Saturday to visit the Seahawks and see if they can hammer out an offer sheet.

J_R
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Antrel Rolle taking physical with Giants.

Bengals wont pursue T.O. despite the rumors/reports.

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Antrel Rolle taking physical with Giants.

Bengals wont pursue T.O. despite the rumors/reports.

Hopefully that eliminates Earl Thomas for them.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Dolphins terminated the contracts of linebackers Akin Ayodele and Joey Porter along with safety Gibril Wilson.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

J_R
03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Dunta Robinson gets 6 year deal from Falcons.

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Free-agent CB Dunta Robinson and Falcons agree to a six-year contract.

JWarren14
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Im sort of pissed we aren't being more active, but we don't know what's going on in the FO. FA is a two way street, of course players want the best deals, but the FA has to want to play for that team as well. Isn't it possible Taylor wanted to stay in the division so he could face Minny twice a year or may have a strong relationship with someone in the locker room or on staff in Chicago?

It's frustrating with the team not being active, but I am sure we are doing our due dilligence and have players on our list and what we consider they are worth. FA have thier lists as well, getting paid is right at the top, but there are other factors to consider as well.

If you hate your current job would you take less money to be happy everyday or would you just suck it up to make a few bucks more?

Im with every other fan out there, but we aren't going to say ok you got $X Mil guranteed, but we'll give you double that. Then we end up releasing the player because he didn't perform up to his contract, which probably wasn't the right contract to begin with.

F U McNair for not signing Peppers, Trading for Cromartie and Boldin, not signing Chester Taylor. I've done it on Madden so I know it works! Just do it already!:sarcasm:

Out of 32 Teams 1 has made a big splash so far and they don't have very many draft picks so they need to get impact FAs since they don't have impact draft picks.

Ever since the new regime began it has been build through the draft and supplement in FA, so why all the fuss? We know damn well our guys can draft so why go overspend on someone when you can pick up 2-3 impact guys and pay them less through the draft and keep them into their prime?

A little tired of reading all the moaning on not signing guys, but maybe it's just me.

Off my soapbox...

JWarren14
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Dunta Robinson gets 6 year deal from Falcons.

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: Free-agent CB Dunta Robinson and Falcons agree to a six-year contract.

Wonder what the details are, 6 years...that's pretty long term.

NitroGSXR
03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I will miss Dunta's jarring hits and his heart. He was the leader for our defense at one time. I wish him luck in Atlanta except when he plays us. Sorry it didn't work out.

Dunta Robinson, a former great Houston Texan... Thank you for the memories. Goodbye, Dunta!

TEXANRED
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Eh on the DRob thing. His popularity was based on a great rookie season and a few hard hits. He was never that great of a CB.

I will always remember him as the guy who gave up the long bomb to a Keri Collins throw to set up the winning score.

mariowillshine15
03-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Boldin to the Ravens. Schefter just announced it on ESPN. plus he gets a 4 yr extension 4yr/28 mil

Boldin and a 5th for a 3 and 4th.

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Eh on the DRob thing. His popularity was based on a great rookie season and a few hard hits. He was never that great of a CB.

I will always remember him as the guy who gave up the long bomb to a Keri Collins throw to set up the winning score.

If only he could have lived up to that rookie year. INTs, sacks, huge hits galore. Instantly became a favorite. I was still a believer until this past season. Who knows, maybe he can get some of that back with the Falcons.

TEXANS84
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM

In his defense (and I don't defend him), that pass couldn't have been more perfectly thrown and guarded. It just wasn't meant to be that day.

I'll always remember him celebrating after a mediocre tackle this season against the Colts, only to have Manning burn him after witnessing him celebrating and taking a quick snap. Adios and good riddance.

J_R
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Broncos sign Justin Bannan to 5 year deal

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 06:58 PM
The Panthers have officially parted ways with Jake Delhomme and declared that Matt Moore will be the starting quarterback going into training camp

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4968217

If he doesn't get a starting gig out there I wouldn't be opposed to trying to bring him in as the back-up. Gunslinger mentality similar to Sage, probably as likely to win a game for you as lose one but in a back up QB I don't think you can ask for much more. I'm not sure if Orlovsky can be a guy that can actually go out and win a game. Skeptical if he could lose a game the way Grossman (mega assist to Chris Brown) did but that's not saying much.

mariowillshine15
03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
If he doesn't get a starting gig out there I wouldn't be opposed to trying to bring him in as the back-up. Gunslinger mentality similar to Sage, probably as likely to win a game for you as lose one but in a back up QB I don't think you can ask for much more. I'm not sure if Orlovsky can be a guy that can actually go out and win a game. Skeptical if he could lose a game the way Grossman (mega assist to Chris Brown) did but that's not saying much.

I say we bring him in so our DBs can practice catching INTs.

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I say we bring him in so our DBs can practice catching INTs.

What, Grossman didn't give them enough practice?

Tailgate
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Patriots bring back Stephen Neal

The Patriots continued to show Randy Moss they really do pay Friday, signing guard Stephen Neal. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston.com writes that it's a two-year contract.

Neal is the third player the team has signed in the last six hours. Tully Banta-Cain got $14.5 million to stay, while Vince Wilfork signed a $40 million extension.

The moves probably won't excite a fan base looking for new blood, but the team had more key veteran free agents than any team in the league. Neal and Banta-Cain would have surely interested the Belichick disciples around the league.

Neal may have briefly considered retirement this offseason, but his MMA career will have to wait.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/patriots-bring-back-stephen-neal/

gary
03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Panthers allow Jake to walk.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jake-Delhomme-gets-the-axe-Carolina-turns-to-Ma?urn=nfl,225993

Nawzer
03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Just saw on espn.com that Carlos Dansby signed a 5 year $43 million deal with the Dolphins. Also according to espn.com, Dansby becomes the highest paid inside linebacker in the NFL. He's getting more money than Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher are currently. Dansby's never been to a pro bowl. Ofcourse, this signing could have a major effect on the Texans and DeMeco Ryans. Dansby's never been to a pro bowl but will make more money than Ray Lewis. Ryans will ask for at least that amount, but the Texans will probably have to give him more money. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

b0ng
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Giants sign Rolle 5years, $37million, $15million garunteed. Highest paid safety in the league.

WolverineFan
03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Dunta 6 years, $27 million guaranteed, probably around $40-$50 million overall. He is now the 2nd highest paid CB in the NFL.

mariowillshine15
03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Dunta 6 years, $27 million guaranteed, probably around $40-$50 million overall. He is now the 2nd highest paid CB in the NFL.

The best time for average players to hit the market is in a down year.

In any other year they would be paid accordingly but in a bad year teams throw buckets of cash at them as if they are stars.

Dunta got paid big time and he has the weak market to thank for it.

JB
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/sanjacal/th_lmao.jpg

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Really sad to see average players get overpaid like the way they do. As mentioned Karlos Dansby is a good player but nothing special and we all know what can be said about Dunta!

Texan4Ever
03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=4970231

See how long it would take Julius Peppers to earn as much as you do!

Ryan
03-06-2010, 12:51 AM
he makes as much money as i do in a year when he takes a sh*t.

Thorn
03-06-2010, 04:53 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=4970231

See how long it would take Julius Peppers to earn as much as you do!

I'll have turned to dust before I get close to his money.

AnthonyE
03-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I just realized Ty Law is still in the league. Daaaang. What amazes me is how he's listed as a "Notable FA." o_O

Errant Hothy
03-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Giants sign Rolle 5years, $37million, $15million garunteed. Highest paid safety in the league.

This might be the worse FA over-spned of the off season, even of Dunta's and Pepper's stupid contracts.

Errant Hothy
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Kampman in J'ville.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/report-aaron-kampman-is-in-jacksonville/

Aaron Kampman had the most mysterious first day of free agency among the top free agents.

He was rumored to be visiting Seattle, then Philadelphia, but didn't wind up making either trip. According to a report on Scout.com's JagNation, he spent Friday night in Jacksonville.

BigTimeTexanFan
03-06-2010, 09:22 AM

I am so glad the Texans let him walk. The Falcons are retarded for paying him that much, even if he reverts back to the old Dunta. The salary cap will be back and signings like these hurt teams. Say you have a salary cap of roughly 120 mil. with 53 players. On average, you can spend almost 2m per player. That means for every player you pay 10m to you have to have another 4 players making league minimum. Dunta is an average player at best making top 3 money for his position.

I like what the Texans are doing. Use the draft to acquire talented players and use FA as a supplement to fill holes and add depth.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I am so glad the Texans let him walk. The Falcons are retarded for paying him that much, even if he reverts back to the old Dunta. The salary cap will be back and signings like these hurt teams. Say you have a salary cap of roughly 120 mil. with 53 players. On average, you can spend almost 2m per player. That means for every player you pay 10m to you have to have another 4 players making league minimum. Dunta is an average player at best making top 3 money for his position.

I like what the Texans are doing. Use the draft to acquire talented players and use FA as a supplement to fill holes and add depth.

that isn't how the salary cap works and for that matter, we don't even know how it will work post-2010 or if there will even be a salary cap.

but yes, we saved $$ and McNair put it in his pocket. that is what us fans got from letting Dunta go...Dunta got paid and there were even people thinking that he wouldn't get paid. It's obvious that Dunta has value and the league showed this. Atlanta wasn't the only suitor but the team made sense for Dunta, his agent, and the Falcons. he would have gotten an equitable deal from any team that was courting him except maybe Pittsburgh who tend to be very frugal due to their winning tradition which gives them a little bit of a discount on incoming players and re-taining players they covet.

congrats to dunta for his contract. congrats to his agent for his contract, and jeers to Rick Smith for not tendering him and playing hardball and trying to get some compensation. Do we end up getting a 3rd or 4th now that he has signed with Atlanta? If so, its a little more palatable but if not, I think the contract negotiations were seriously bungled and handled poorly and unprofessionally on both sides.

Texan4Ever
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
This might be the worse FA over-spned of the off season, even of Dunta's and Pepper's stupid contracts.

I thought the G-Men had a safety in Kenny Phillips, why do they need Rolle?

Ryan
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Please Cincinnati sign T.O. I can't wait to watch the drama show that would take place from the Bengals front. :stirpot:

barrett
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I thought the G-Men had a safety in Kenny Phillips, why do they need Rolle?

He's got a bone on bone injury.

BigTimeTexanFan
03-06-2010, 02:50 PM
that isn't how the salary cap works and for that matter, we don't even know how it will work post-2010 or if there will even be a salary cap.

I was speaking in terms of averages. Not every player will get paid the same. If one player is getting 10m a year you have to be able to off-set that with other guys making significantly less (4 guys making league min., or 8 guys making 1m). So if you're going to give a player that much money he better be worth it, because you will be paying for it with other players/positions.

sometexansfan
03-06-2010, 05:52 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/fargas-is-a-free-agent/

Justin Fargas is a FA now.

TheRealJoker
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Veteran 30 year old RB...

Texans must be interested!!!

NitroGSXR
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Did I see Willie Parker on that list? Fast Willie Parker from the Steelers?

I like the way he runs. Anything happen to him recently? Suckage? Injured?

gary
03-06-2010, 06:05 PM

He had an injury and has not been the same ever since.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Kassim Osgood in Jacksonville: three-years for $6.675 million that could be worth up to $10.875 million with incentives.

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Texan4Ever
03-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I know we're all tired of old runningbacks, but how about Ladell Betta from the Redskins? Like Chester Taylor he hasn't been used much and we could sign him for cheap.

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2010, 12:23 AM

He's been injured several times. He went from Fast Willie Parker to just Willie Parker.

Big Poundcake
03-07-2010, 12:49 AM
What about CB Marlin Jackson?

This may have been discussed already, but I didn't read all 9 pages of the thread.

Texan4Ever
03-07-2010, 01:12 AM
What about CB Marlin Jackson?

This may have been discussed already, but I didn't read all 9 pages of the thread.

Marlin Jackson has had injury issues and I feel he would be better suited as a FS. If he is healed up and we can get him for a "cheap" wage then he would be a nice addition.

TheRealJoker
03-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Aaron Kampman is now a starting DE for the Jags:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0

This is not good for us... he's a heck of a player.

Jackie Chiles
03-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Aaron Kampman is now a starting DE for the Jags:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0

This is not good for us... he's a heck of a player.

Good, the better that team is the better we play against them.

TheRealJoker
03-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Good, the better that team is the better we play against them.

As sad as it is... you're correct.

How did THAT team sweep us this season? Can someone explain that head scratcher to me again?

Texan4Ever
03-07-2010, 12:32 PM
As sad as it is... you're correct.

How did THAT team sweep us this season? Can someone explain that head scratcher to me again?

They showed up to play, we kind-of showed up to play. Not to mention the mental mistakes made by our players.

TheRealJoker
03-07-2010, 12:40 PM
They showed up to play, we kind-of showed up to play. Not to mention the mental mistakes made by our players.

And the Chris Brown factor... :(

HOU-TEX
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I know we're all tired of old runningbacks, but how about Ladell Betta from the Redskins? Like Chester Taylor he hasn't been used much and we could sign him for cheap.

Betts shredded his knee in week 11 of the season, tearing both his ACL and MCL. It's unlikely he'll be ready for the season.

JB
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Schefter reporting that S Will Allen will sign a three year deal with the steelers while S Ryan Clark is visiting Miami.

HOU-TEX
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
The titans are hosting Jason Babin. :hides:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/10035/babin-would-be-a-role-player-for-titans

BigBull17
03-08-2010, 12:12 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/10035/babin-would-be-a-role-player-for-titans

You know he will haunt us there.

JB
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Rams reach agreement with DT Fred Robbins

b0ng
03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Bills signed OT Cornell Green to a three-year, $9 million contract.
While Buffalo is undoubtedly desperate for tackle help, the signing is curious. Green received no known interest elsewhere, turns 34 before the season, and has played a full 16-game schedule just once in his 10-year career. The Raiders were also always trying to replace Green, which isn't a good sign.

So I thought the Bills were trying to get Wade Smith.

b0ng
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Colts released LG Ryan Lilja.
Lilja started in the Super Bowl, but struggled badly as a run blocker along with much of Indianapolis' front five last season. The 28-year-old missed all of 2008 due to multiple knee surgeries, returning in 2009 without much left. The Colts are likely to pursue interior line help in April's draft.

Don't know if he's a guy we would want, but it's another Olinemen.

False Start
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM

:lol:

They deserve him.

JB
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Antwaan Randle El returning to the Steelers

JB
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Jim Sorgi signed with the Giants...

JB
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Thomas Jones signs with the Chiefs!

Blake
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a feeling that LT will sign with the Vikes during his visit.

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Thomas Jones signs with the Chiefs!

Thomas Jones signed for a box of Cracker Jacks. I have been very patient this offseason, but we couldn't drop 2 years 5.5 million for a RB who had 1400 yards last season...? This is the one that makes me very unhappy. We better have a top 15 run game or I'm gonna crap on McNair's door step.

HoustonFrog
03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I didn't see this on the page here if it has been posted. Got him for pretty cheap too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4980364

Kansas City signed running back Thomas Jones to a two-year deal worth $5 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs announced the deal Tuesday but declined to disclose the terms.

Jones was released by the Jets last week after being due a $3 million roster bonus on top of a $2.8 million base salary this season. He and the Jets failed to reach a compromise on restructuring his contract; the team wanted him to take a pay cut.

El Tejano
03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
So maybe they don't want what they feel are aging running backs (even though both LT and TJ had decent to very good seasons). Well here are two FAs that I would like to see them bring in. I'm sure neither will cost much.

NFL | Garcia wants to continue playing
Comment (0)
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0800

Anwar Richardson, of The Tampa Tribune, reports free-agent QB Jeff Garcia (Eagles) believes he still has enough left in the tank to be an established NFL quarterback and continues to look for a job with a team. "It's one of those of these things where my agent is out there. He has talked to people and it sounds like there is some interest out there," Garcia said. "It's just a matter of that interest stepping over and becoming a reality and somebody offering me a contract and getting the chance to come in and be a part of their team and hopefully be in a role where I can help a young guy out, or be a supportive backup, and go from there."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hnTcWrGN
Obviously I don't like our backups. Garcia was at one time the guy many of us wanted to lead our offense a few years ago because of his familiarity with our offense. He's been an excellent backup over the years with many different teams. Also, he's quoted as saying he would like to be a supportive QB for a young guy.

Eagles | M. Jackson leaves without a deal
Comment (0)
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:40:01 -0800

Jeff McLane, of The Philadelphia Inquirer, reports via Twitter that free-agent CB Marlin Jackson (Colts) left his visit with the Philadelphia Eagles without a deal

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hnUFpu1p
He's not the most coveted CB in the FA market but he's a veteran from a division rival. I don't know how much he's asking but I'm sure he will be better than any CB we put out there right now. I'm not trusting Mccain and Quin against Manning as much as I would a veteran that practices against him everyday.

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
So maybe they don't want what they feel are aging running backs (even though both LT and TJ had decent to very good seasons). Well here are two FAs that I would like to see them bring in. I'm sure neither will cost much.

NFL | Garcia wants to continue playing
Comment (0)
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:16:17 -0800

Anwar Richardson, of The Tampa Tribune, reports free-agent QB Jeff Garcia (Eagles) believes he still has enough left in the tank to be an established NFL quarterback and continues to look for a job with a team. "It's one of those of these things where my agent is out there. He has talked to people and it sounds like there is some interest out there," Garcia said. "It's just a matter of that interest stepping over and becoming a reality and somebody offering me a contract and getting the chance to come in and be a part of their team and hopefully be in a role where I can help a young guy out, or be a supportive backup, and go from there."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hnTcWrGN
Obviously I don't like our backups. Garcia was at one time the guy many of us wanted to lead our offense a few years ago because of his familiarity with our offense. He's been an excellent backup over the years with many different teams. Also, he's quoted as saying he would like to be a supportive QB for a young guy.

Eagles | M. Jackson leaves without a deal
Comment (0)
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:40:01 -0800

Jeff McLane, of The Philadelphia Inquirer, reports via Twitter that free-agent CB Marlin Jackson (Colts) left his visit with the Philadelphia Eagles without a deal

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hnUFpu1p
He's not the most coveted CB in the FA market but he's a veteran from a division rival. I don't know how much he's asking but I'm sure he will be better than any CB we put out there right now. I'm not trusting Mccain and Quin against Manning as much as I would a veteran that practices against him everyday.

He is one of those Cover 2 CB's Indy had. They are phasing them out and I think it would be an awful fit here. Remember Jason David? Maybe not as bad, but not worth the risk.

El Tejano
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
He is one of those Cover 2 CB's Indy had. They are phasing them out and I think it would be an awful fit here. Remember Jason David? Maybe not as bad, but not worth the risk.

Ok, cool. Didn't know much about him. When you say THEY are phasing them out, do you mean Texans or Colts?

BigBull17
03-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok, cool. Didn't know much about him. When you say THEY are phasing them out, do you mean Texans or Colts?

Colts. Don't quote me too terribly much, I hven't really scouted the guy. I just know the Colts played alot of the Tampa 2 year befor last, and got away from it a little. Thus, they let some CB's walk, Jackson most likly one of them.

JB
03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
CB Jackson signs with Eagles...

GermanTexan
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
chad ochocinco in twitter

Antonio Bryant signs 4 Year deal with bengals

nice for them

HOU-TEX
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
nice for them

More like nice for HIM. 4 years at $28 million is a lot for that dude, IMO

Texan_Bill
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
More like nice for HIM. 4 years at $28 million is a lot for that dude, IMO

I remember Aaron Glenn stealing everything away from Antonio Bryant except for his wife.

(If people don't remember what I'm talking about, think September 8th, 2002).

El Tejano
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I remember Aaron Glenn stealing everything away from Antonio Bryant except for his wife.

(If people don't remember what I'm talking about, think September 8th, 2002).

The only thing better than that night was the next day going to work with a whole bunch of crowe to feed people with.

So did the Bengals give up on T.O.?

El Tejano
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Any reason why we haven't talked to this guy?

Buccaneers | S. Jones to visit Thursday
Comment (0)
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:22:48 -0800

Roy Cummings, of The Tampa Tribune, reports free-agent S Sean Jones (Eagles) will visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thursday, March 11.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hqFVfW9i

Blake
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Been tweeting about this for over a week now: Raiders cut DT Gerard Warren. http://is.gd/afA6h (http://is.gd/afA6h)

El Tejano
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Been tweeting about this for over a week now: Raiders cut DT Gerard Warren. http://is.gd/afA6h (http://is.gd/afA6h)

That guy and this guy

Bills | Looking at Kennedy as possible NT
Comment (0)
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:18:54 -0800

Allen Wilson, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills are looking at unrestricted free-agent DT Jimmy Kennedy (Vikings) as a possible nose tackle in their 3-4 defensive alignment.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0huI9zp5S
Are people we need to be talking to.

HOU-TEX
03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Derek Anderson signs with Cards

Derek Anderson has reportedly agreed to terms with the Cardinals, relays Darren Urban of Arizona's official Web site.

Urban doesn't say where the report is coming from, so we'll wait for confirmation. Anderson is erratic, but we'd expect him to at least push Matt Leinart for the starting gig in training camp.

HOU-TEX
03-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Bears release Nathan Vasher. He's from Texas so I assume the Texans will do their due diligence.

Bears released CB Nathan Vasher.

Vasher, due $3M and ineffective several seasons running, was never going to make the roster out of training camp, so GM Jerry Angelo cut the chord early. Vasher, 29, was an All-Pro in 2005, when current Chargers DC Ron Rivera was running Chicago's offense. San Diego is also dangerously thin at corner.

JB
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Mike Bell now an Eagle!
Saints deline to match offer...

TexCanada
03-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Crumpler signs with the Pats.

b0ng
03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Source (http://twitter.com/hogshaven)

I'm hearing in Philly McNabb to STL for OJ Atogwe and 2nd round pick is a done deal. Not official yet on the wire. 19 minutes ago via Chromed Bird

:bravo:

TexCanada
03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Source (http://twitter.com/hogshaven)

:bravo:

Crazy. I guess Philly will be going with Kolb as their starter if this goes through. Rams probably wouldn't draft a QB with their first pick either.

b0ng
03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Crazy. I guess Philly will be going with Kolb as their starter if this goes through. Rams probably wouldn't draft a QB with their first pick either.

I wouldn't see why, McNabb is a pretty good QB and they could fill in one of the (many) holes on defense. Of course glazer has reported that this report is false. Eagle fan response?

f--- rumors knew it was way to good to be true. We are stuck with the guy,.

Source (http://igglephans.com/iggboard/showthread.php?t=241229)

JWarren14
03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Vasher is a Charger $4.5 mil over 2 years

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038840)

Looks like he has some ties with the SD staff.

Blake
03-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Former Rams and Falcons CB Tye Hill agreed to terms on a 1-year deal with the Tennessee Titans.

JB
04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
http://twitter.com/TheRedzoneorg

Jay Feeley signs witgh the Cards.

JB
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Cowboys release Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin.

El Tejano
04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I thought Ken Hamlin was pretty good for them. Wonder what happened?

JB
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Chris Simms has reached agreement with the titans

steelbtexan
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Wooo Hooo !!!!!!

HoustonFrog
04-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought Ken Hamlin was pretty good for them. Wonder what happened?

Hamlin was good the first year in 2007 and made the PB. After signing a longer term deal he wasn't too good. He didn't make any plays at all over the next 2 seasons...1 interception. He was a guy who was good as the secondary captain..calling plays buit not much else. I heard rumors that his attitude soured also.

BigBull17
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM

God, the Texans hate UT!!!!!!!!!!

b0ng
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
God, the Texans hate UT!!!!!!!!!!

Quick, name all of the successful QB's who made the transition from UT to the NFL.

Hell, you can go ahead and name all the BIG XII QB's who have transitioned well. I'll wait.

JB
04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Quick, name all of the successful QB's who made the transition from UT to the NFL.

Hell, you can go ahead and name all the BIG XII QB's who have transitioned well. I'll wait.

You know you will be waiting awhile?

b0ng
04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
You know you will be waiting awhile?

It's okay, I got a Snickers.

JB
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
It's okay, I got a Snickers.

With a Snickers you can do amazing things!

b0ng
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
With a Snickers you can do amazing things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY4UwcokerE

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
ESPN Insider had about 9 teams with interest in Darren Sharper and the Texans were one of them along with the Redskins, Chargers, Cowboys, Bears, Dolphins, Chiefs, Jets and Eagles.

J_R
04-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Speaking of the Jets, they are actively shopping guard Alan Faneca, defensive end Shaun Ellis and linebacker Bryan Thomas and will probably waive these players after the draft. You might be surprised to read Fanecaís name, but heís the first to go after the draft.

The Cowboys would part with defensive end Marcus Spears, linebacker Bobby Carpenter, wide receiver Sam Hurd, safety Pat Watkins and lineman Cory Procter for the right price. All of them are being shopped around the league

Iím still hearing the Raiders would be willing to trade any corner on their team, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Johnson and Stanford Routt are all available.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Our-first-look-at-the-schedule.html

J_R
04-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Not really Free Agency hah but ok.:kitten:

BigBull17
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Hell, it's really hard to name sucessful UT 1st round picks. I was kidding, BTW. I'm not what you could call a UT homer. Colt McCoy showed his colors when he didn't come back into a game cause he was worried about losing money. If I were a GM, I would think long and hard about a guy who wouldn't go back into the National Championship game of his Sr year to save his draft status.

JB
04-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Hell, it's really hard to name sucessful UT 1st round picks. I was kidding, BTW. I'm not what you could call a UT homer. Colt McCoy showed his colors when he didn't come back into a game cause he was worried about losing money. If I were a GM, I would think long and hard about a guy who wouldn't go back into the National Championship game of his Sr year to save his draft status.

WtF? Where in the hell did you get that idea? That is totally bullshit and may be the most asshattery comment I have read on this board this year. Colt begged to be let back in that game.

Your UT hate is showing. And if it is hard for you to name a successful UT 1st round pick, you don't pay much attention to football.

BigBull17
04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
WtF? Where in the hell did you get that idea? That is totally bullshit and may be the most asshattery comment I have read on this board this year. Colt begged to be let back in that game.

Your UT hate is showing. And if it is hard for you to name a successful UT 1st round pick, you don't pay much attention to football.

He begged? Seriously? His daddy went into the locker room and told him to count his money and he said yes sir. Yeah, I truley hate UT. Yeah, I laughed when they lost. But I have a feeling that his draft stock was a big reason he didn't come back in. It wasnt even a bad hit. I wouldn't touch him. As to it being asshaterry or total bull shit, what I said has just as much weight as what you say. You weren't in the locker room either. BTW, Santa is fake, the Easter Bunny is fake, eskimos are real, and Vince Young is an awfull QB.

Ryan
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not a Longhorn by any sense, but the dude could hardly even move his arm. I'd like to see you try throwing a football effectively when you can't feel your arm.

BigBull17
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm not a Longhorn by any sense, but the dude could hardly even move his arm. I'd like to see you try throwing a football effectively when you can't feel your arm.

I would use my mind. MNah, I tore my rotator cuff and played oline for 2 years of high school and one year of college before I got it fixed. I didnt throw, but I did beat myself to death.

Texan4Ever
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Colt McCoy wanted to come back in the game but his arm was banged up. ESPN reported that his father told him NOT to attempt a comeback as it may further damage his arm and potentially cost him in the draft.

As far as not being able to throw, he was reportedly throwing the ball around to his trainers fine but as a precaution, he was kept out of the game.

BigBull17
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
It's my bad. I should know to never talk bad about anybody UT on here.

HOU-TEX
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Rams traded former first-round pick Adam Carricker to Redskins. Still awaiting word on what the Rams get in return.

Jason Taylor has agreed to become a New York Jet.

Jason Taylor's deal is two years, $13 million. But the real number is one year up to $3.75 million. Taylor is a Jet.

ESPN's John Clayton with details of Torry Holt's deal with Pats -- 1 year, could be worth up to $1.7 million.

J_R
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Rich get richer in NY!

J_R
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Vikings sign Lito Sheppard

bah007
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Colt McCoy wanted to come back in the game but his arm was banged up. ESPN reported that his father told him NOT to attempt a comeback as it may further damage his arm and potentially cost him in the draft.

As far as not being able to throw, he was reportedly throwing the ball around to his trainers fine but as a precaution, he was kept out of the game.

Colt pinched a nerve in his shoulder. He couldn't feel anything. When he tried to throw with the trainers he couldn't even throw it ten yards.

bah007
04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
I would use my mind. MNah, I tore my rotator cuff and played oline for 2 years of high school and one year of college before I got it fixed. I didnt throw, but I did beat myself to death.

A pinched nerve is different than a torn muscle. You don't really feel any pain, mostly because you can't feel anything. I've had a torn supraspinatus for about six years now but I can still throw the ball around. A pinched nerve is different. If you can't feel your arm, how can you use it?

Big Poundcake
04-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Dre Bly please.

He is a solid vet CB.

BigBull17
04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
A pinched nerve is different than a torn muscle. You don't really feel any pain, mostly because you can't feel anything. I've had a torn supraspinatus for about six years now but I can still throw the ball around. A pinched nerve is different. If you can't feel your arm, how can you use it?

As I said before, I should know better than to insult a Texas QB. Whatever. Colt looks like a little drama queen on his path to the draft. Im sick of him, sick of UT, sick of shitty UT QB's. He is tough. He is God. He is the best ever and teams would be crazy to pass on a tough, gutty QB who puts his teama head of his draft stock.

Now on topic, Lito Shepard for 2 mil? Makes me sad. I would have gave him that.

Big Poundcake
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Could the Texans afford to sign both Faneca and Sharper?

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Could the Texans afford to sign both Faneca and Sharper?

Depends on the length of the contract and how they load it.

No one knows what the cap is going to be like in the future and these contracts have to be friendly to that cap. But they could front load something so it counts mostly against this uncapped year. Maybe.

El Tejano
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Jaguars | Reggie Hayward released
Comment (0)
Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:39:33 -0400

The Jacksonville Jaguars have released DE Reggie Hayward, reports Vito Stellino, of The Florida Times-Union. With six defensive ends on roster, the team made the calculated risk to release him.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0t6lZk2vN

I don't know much about him. Name sounds familiar. With six DEs beating him out is this guy worth taking a look at?

J_R
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/to-picks-the-bengals/

Well, it's happened. Receiver Terrell Owens (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=718) has agreed to terms with the Bengals.

Per a league source, Owens will receive a base salary of $2 million. He can earn up to another $2 million in incentives.

The source says that the incentives are based on receptions, yards, and touchdowns.

DX-TEX
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
nevermind.