PDA

View Full Version : Texan Restricted Free Agent Tenders

Shaft75
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Have any been placed yet? I see that Denver has been busy and placed tenders on Dumerville and Marshall. Any word?

TEXANS84
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
They will start coming soon.

They are flying all over the place on PFT.com, I'm sure we'll see some movement from the Texans before later this evening.

Jackie Chiles
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Hopefully they are trying to work out some last minute long-term deals with a few of them before they use the tender.

TEXANS84
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
It's too quiet right now on the Texans home front........

redwhiteANDblue
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
come on guys DO SOMETHING!

JWarren14
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
:hurryup:

I have been refreshing pages and googling "Texans sign..." for hours now, WTF is going on? All this waiting in driving me crazy...Come on Free Agency Friday!

False Start
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
If they tender Demeco, I'm gonna start to get impatient with this team. Pay him Rick!

Jottoz
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoworld
The Texans have opted against tendering S John Busing, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Busing made numerous spot starts last year, but was never going to excel in coverage at over 220 pounds with 4.6 wheels on hot coals. Houston may bring him back as a gunner, but Busing, ideally, will not see time on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain_on_NFL
Texans made seven qualifying offers today. As expected, Ryans and Daniels tendered the max at 1st- and 3rd-round picks and Pollard a first.

Texans fans don't have to worry about Ryans, Daniels and Pollard going anywhere because teams won't give up that compensation.

Now the Texans can work on long-term deals with Ryans, Daniels and Pollard as well as WR Kevin Walter, who'll be unrestricted.

Hardcore Texan
03-03-2010, 07:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
The Texans have opted against tendering S John Busing, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Busing made numerous spot starts last year, but was never going to excel in coverage at over 220 pounds with 4.6 wheels on hot coals. Houston may bring him back as a gunner, but Busing, ideally, will not see time on defense.

Quote:
Texans made seven qualifying offers today. As expected, Ryans and Daniels tendered the max at 1st- and 3rd-round picks and Pollard a first.

Texans fans don't have to worry about Ryans, Daniels and Pollard going anywhere because teams won't give up that compensation.

Now the Texans can work on long-term deals with Ryans, Daniels and Pollard as well as WR Kevin Walter, who'll be unrestricted.

Yes, please do.

False Start
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes, please do.

Thats my biggest concern too. If we don't lock him up soon, I think he may start to get pi$$ed. I cant blame him either.

As far as OD, I'm still waiting to see what he can do coming off the injury. If he does however come back to the OD we all know and love, lock him up.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6895788.html

The Texans made seven qualifying offers to players who will be restricted free agents on Thursday.

As expected, middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans and tight end Owen Daniels were tendered the maximum. That means if they receive qualifying offers and the Texans didn't match, they would get first- and third-round draft choices.

Strong safety Bernard Pollard was tendered at a first-round pick.

Offensive tackle Rashad Butler and running back Ryan Moats were tendered with a right of first refusal and their original draft pick. Butler (Carolina) and Moats (Philadelphia) were third-round picks.

The Texans have a right of first refusal on guard Chris White and defensive end Tim Bulman but will receive no compensation if they fail to match an offer the players receive.

Defensive tackle DelJuan Robinson signed a minimum tender Wednesday.

False Start
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
The Ravens are interested in Walter, I would hate to lose him.

ChrisG
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
they better pay Meco. He has earned it. IK they are gonna pull some BS with Daniels b/c of his injury. Which I agree with, to an extent. They better not try and f him over and he gets a better offer. Our passing game went way down without OD.

Also I hope we sign Moats I really liked him and Foster last yr

HouSportsWriter
03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6895788.html

thursday??? to my clock its wednesday

Thorn
03-04-2010, 07:29 AM
......and the waiting game begins.....

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
First off, I know it's still waaay early, but I guess I just feel the need to vent a little.

The first thing that came to mind last night when I saw D-Ryans received the max tender. Why can't this organization come to terms with it's star players?! I know I'm painting with a broad brush when I say that because the Texans really haven't had these issues very often.

Maybe it's the mad love I've got for D-Ryans? Possibly, I mean the dude's only the primary leader and captain of the defense...and team for that matter. He's an absolute beast on the field. He's earned a lucrative contract. I'm being somewhat sarcastic when I say this, but the guy should be writing his own pay checks if you ask me.

In the end, IMO if there's nothing done by the time their first team workout it's going to send a very bad message....if it hasn't aleady. I'm beginning to get pissed at the organization for not taking care of it's players.

/Rant/

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
The Texans aren't in an exclusive club when it comes to star players and contract negotiations. Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin have been chirping about pay and deals forever. There's always someone on every team that isn't happy about a deal and there are always players who end up franchise tagged because a deal couldn't be worked out. Every team has players that get tendered as Restricted Free Agents because a new deal isn't in place. It's a way to see what the market is saying about a player's value. It's part of the system and it probably won't change for a long, long time.

Dutchrudder
03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
First off, I know it's still waaay early, but I guess I just feel the need to vent a little.

The first thing that came to mind last night when I saw D-Ryans received the max tender. Why can't this organization come to terms with it's star players?! I know I'm painting with a broad brush when I say that because the Texans really haven't had these issues very often.

Maybe it's the mad love I've got for D-Ryans? Possibly, I mean the dude's only the primary leader and captain of the defense...and team for that matter. He's an absolute beast on the field. He's earned a lucrative contract. I'm being somewhat sarcastic when I say this, but the guy should be writing his own pay checks if you ask me.

In the end, IMO if there's nothing done by the time their first team workout it's going to send a very bad message....if it hasn't aleady. I'm beginning to get pissed at the organization for not taking care of it's players.

/Rant/

The Texans can still sign him to a longterm contract, but it doesn't mean they will. Hopefully he will be getting a fat 5 year deal, or some other team will offer him one that they match.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
The Texans can still sign him to a longterm contract, but it doesn't mean they will. Hopefully he will be getting a fat 5 year deal, or some other team will offer him one that they match.

Take note of the first sentence in my post. I realize it's way too early to get worried, but I needed to vent

ChampionTexan
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM

That's how they got David Andersen signed to a long term deal last year - matching the Bronco's offer to him (which would have only gotten a fifth or sixth round pick if they'd let him walk).

Team's have never been real high on giving up first and third round picks for anybody, and I think that attitude becomes even more pervasive this year. It's gonna be real hard to find a team willing to pay the bonus Demeco would be commanding if they could keep their first and third round picks, and pay rookie bonuses (remember, once you get past the top 10 picks or so, the bonuses aren't all that absurd). Interestingly, there is an argument made that the higher your first round pick is, the more you should be willing to give it up in order to sign a RFA.

I'd love to see it play out differently, but both Demeco and O.D. are in very similar positions to Dunta last year. The one-year deals they'd be getting are obviously far less than Dunta's franchise amount, but I don't see anybody ponying up what it would take to force the Texans to make a decision.

The main difference between now and a year ago is that Demeco and O.D. may not be able to go the one year route and test free agency next year, due to either a work stoppage, or a new CBA that keeps them restricted. The end result of this is that the Texans have some pretty good leverage on both guys, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them attempt to use it as much as they can.

stevn8r
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
When a team "tenders" a player, I know that they can still work out a long term deal, but, are they just "testing the proverbial waters" to see if someone will give up a 1st and 3rd for a Meco or an OD and the Texans might find that it's worth it?

So you would tender a max one year deal, wait and see if someone wants to pay the price and then decide if you're willing to give up one star player for two rookies and less money?

Do I have that right?:thinking:

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Are we gonna be doing a live free agency thread (like gameday) starting at midnight tonight?? A lotta these deals are getting done now and will be announced at midnight, a lotta movement. We'll learn Walter's fate shortly after I'm sure. Just a suggestion on the live thread.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Are we gonna be doing a live free agency thread (like gameday) starting at midnight tonight?? A lotta these deals are getting done now and will be announced at midnight, a lotta movement. We'll learn Walter's fate shortly after I'm sure. Just a suggestion on the live thread.

There's a FA thread "sticky" in the NFL section.

Teams can not deal with FA's at all until 11:01 CT (supposedly). It's considered tampering.

*edit* Looks like you already found the thread. :)

IDEXAN
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Are we absolutely confident about leaving DeMeco out there ? I mean a 1st
and a 3rd is a lot, but DeMeco Ryans is a lot of football player who's at the
top of his game and in prime age at 25-26 years old.
And if you're a team drafting very late like NOLA or Minnisota, a 1st and a third are really more like a 2nd and 4th round pick.

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
There's a FA thread "sticky" in the NFL section.

Teams can not deal with FA's at all until 11:01 CT (supposedly). It's considered tampering.

*edit* Looks like you already found the thread. :)

You'll have to excuse my slowness today only noon and its been a long one :)

BIG TORO
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I just dont see why we cant take care of our players, it produces confidence and makes a better team as a whole when players see that everyone is being taken care of!

The Pencil Neck
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I just dont see why we cant take care of our players, it produces confidence and makes a better team as a whole when players see that everyone is being taken care of!

Well, you know, if you offer guys top 5 money, you kinda think you're taking care of them.

From what I've heard reported, we offered Dunta, Demeco, and Owen top 5 money for their positions and they all turned us down.

This is a business and everyone wants to get paid. But some guys are asking for more than what they're worth. If you pay everyone what they think they're worth, then you'll have a team with 1 overpaid guy and a bunch of minimum wagers.

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I could see a team giving up that compensation for Ryans.

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Haven't you paid attention to posters around here? McNair doesn't want us to win next year and only cares about profits and the CBA. /sarcasm

JB
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I could see a team giving up that compensation for Ryans.

I would hope the Texans would match any offer he received.

badboy
03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
If the 1st round & 3rd are high enough, I'd consider letting Ryans go.

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM

No way. If you are going to argue that you're building through the draft, then you have to keep the ones that work out. A draft pick is worthless unless it actually works out, which you won't know right away. Ryans - you know.

BIG TORO
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, you know, if you offer guys top 5 money, you kinda think you're taking care of them.

From what I've heard reported, we offered Dunta, Demeco, and Owen top 5 money for their positions and they all turned us down.

This is a business and everyone wants to get paid. But some guys are asking for more than what they're worth. If you pay everyone what they think they're worth, then you'll have a team with 1 overpaid guy and a bunch of minimum wagers.

Do they just not want to play for us, If we offered top 5 money, Do they really think they can get more than that, or Do yall think they can get more than that?

Ole Miss Texan
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Are we absolutely confident about leaving DeMeco out there ? I mean a 1st and a 3rd is a lot, but DeMeco Ryans is a lot of football player who's at the top of his game and in prime age at 25-26 years old. And if you're a team drafting very late like NOLA or Minnisota, a 1st and a third are really more like a 2nd and 4th round pick.

This is something that has had me worried. I was fine with tendering Daniels but I really wanted a longterm deal worked out with Demeco. Minnesota is a good example. Look at what they'd be giving up: A late 1st round pick and a late 3rd round pick for a young pro bowl LB. Another way to look at is if they really want to draft a LB eary this draft. Instead of taking a chance on a rookie that could bust, they're giving up a late 3rd for the guarantee that the guy is a stud. Or you could look at it if the had to package their 3rd round pick to trade up in the draft to take the top rated LB. A team like Minny doing this for Demeco would be really smart, IMO.

Sure we have the right to match the offer they make to Demeco, but chances are it's going to be a lot more than what we could have worked out with him anyway.

Jackie Chiles
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
This is something that has had me worried. I was fine with tendering Daniels but I really wanted a longterm deal worked out with Demeco. Minnesota is a good example. Look at what they'd be giving up: A late 1st round pick and a late 3rd round pick for a young pro bowl LB. Another way to look at is if they really want to draft a LB eary this draft. Instead of taking a chance on a rookie that could bust, they're giving up a late 3rd for the guarantee that the guy is a stud. Or you could look at it if the had to package their 3rd round pick to trade up in the draft to take the top rated LB. A team like Minny doing this for Demeco would be really smart, IMO.

Sure we have the right to match the offer they make to Demeco, but chances are it's going to be a lot more than what we could have worked out with him anyway.

Talent wise it makes sense but money wise it doesn't. Teams don't want to have to give up the draft pick compensation and sign the guy to a huge deal.

Thorn
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Not for Ryans I wouldn't, but I would consider it for OD. We don't have anyone even close to take Ryans place. We do have other decent tight ends, they just aren't as good as OD.

barrett
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
my media crush on Alan Burge continues:

First, the rules. There are five levels of RFA tender. (from the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), Article XIX, Section 2, "Veteran Free Agency")
First and third round (maximum) tender: (DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels) - Includes right of first refusal on any offers the player receives from any other team, plus compensation of one 1st round draft selection, and one 3rd round draft selection if the player is signed by another team.
First round tender: (Bernard Pollard) - Includes right of first refusal on any offers the player receives from any other team, plus compensation of one 1st round draft selection if the player is signed by another team.
Second round tender: (None) - Includes right of first refusal on any offers the player receives from any other team, plus compensation of one 2nd round draft selection if the player is signed by another team.
Original draft pick tender: (Rashad Butler and Ryan Moats) - Includes right of first refusal on any offers the player receives from any other team, plus compensation of one draft selection at the player’s original draft round. Butler was a 3rd round pick of the Panthers in 2006 and Moats was a 3rd round pick of the Eagles in 2005.
Right of first refusal (minimum) tender: (Chris White and Tim Bulman) - Includes right of first refusal only and no draft pick compensation (White and Bulman were undrafted).
A tender is NFL speak for a 'minimum qualifying offer' made by the current team in an attempt to retain the services of a player. If the player signs a tender, it becomes a contract. Teams can also negotiate long term deals with tendered players.
If a player hasn't signed his RFA tender by June 15, the team can withdraw its original qualifying offer to that player and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of their previous year’s salary. That's not a financially sound option for any of the seven tendered Texans players based on their 2009 salaries.
Due to the uncapped year and the changes to free agency, RFA tender amounts vary depending on years of service. If for some foolish reason, you have the desire for more details, look at the CBA, Article XIX, Section 2, and Article LVI "Final League Year," Section 2. The tender amounts for 3, 4, and 5 year RFAs are listed there.
Bulman, who has three accrued seasons, received a minimum tender worth $1,101,000. White also received a minimum tender but since he has five accrued seasons, his tender is worth $1,226,000.
Butler has four accrued seasons meaning his fourth level tender is worth $1,176,000 (greater than 110% of his 2009 salary). Since Moats has five accrued seasons, his fourth level tender is worth $50k more than Butler's ($1,226,000) according to Section LVI of the CBA. Moats' 2009 salary was $535,000 so like Butler, the 110% rule didn't apply to his tender amount.
Pollard has four accrued seasons and received a first round tender worth $2,521,000. His base salary was $535,000 last season.
Ryans and Daniels have four accrued seasons and their maximum tenders are worth $3,168,000 since it's greater than 100% of their 2009 base salaries.
Based on the RFA tenders offered today by the Texans, it's pretty safe to say that these seven players aren't going anywhere. The only remaining question is whether the Texans will work out a long term deal with Ryans or attempt to mitigate a cost/injury risk by forcing him play another season under a one year deal. That strategy could burn them in the long run if a new CBA is reached in 2011 that reinstates unrestricted free agency rules for four year vets with expiring contracts.
John Busing was the only RFA not tendered and as a result he will become an unrestricted free agent at 11:01 pm CST Thursday.
McClain and Berman both mention DelJuan Robinson in their reports, but he was not a RFA so don't get him confused with the others.
As reported last week, Robinson was an Exclusive Rights Free Agent (less than three years of accrued service with an expiring contract) not a RFA, and his contract amount (470k) reflects the NFL minimum for a player with two years of service in an uncapped year (see CBA, Article XXXVIII, Section 6).

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m3d3-Deciphering-the-Texans-restricted-free-agent-tenders

If you're not a regular visitor to his site, you should be. That stuff at then end clears up the confusion about DelJuan's contract too.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM

That's crazy talk, badboy. If D-Ryansand his leadership left this team it'd set them back at least a year. Not to mention what his loss would do to the locker room.

We've got to get him locked up long term!!!

dalemurphy
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
That's crazy talk, badboy. If D-Ryansand his leadership left this team it'd set them back at least a year. Not to mention what his loss would do to the locker room.

I'd take the compensation too. I don't think we'd lose too much with Bentley in the middle. Maybe I'm crazy. That being said, I'll be excited when/if they ever sign him to a contract!

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd take the compensation too. I don't think we'd lose too much with Bentley in the middle. Maybe I'm crazy. That being said, I'll be excited when/if they ever sign him to a contract!

I like Bentley too, but Bentley is who he is, a back up. You are greatly underrating what D-Ryans is worth to us.

m5kwatts
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

You don't know how good you have it til its gone. If we lost Demeco the defense would take years to recover IMO.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
You don't know how good you have it til its gone. If we lost Demeco the defense would take years to recover IMO.

I dunno about year, but it'd definitely take 2 steps backwards after having taken a step forward this past year. But, I think we agree in gist.

eriadoc
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
You don't get rid of a known quantity like Ryans for a maybe. You get rid of known quantities like D-Rob.

Lucky
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
That's how they got David Andersen signed to a long term deal last year - matching the Bronco's offer to him (which would have only gotten a fifth or sixth round pick if they'd let him walk).
Anderson was an original draft choice tender, so the Texans would have garnered a 7th round pick had they elected not to match Denver's offer.
I like Bentley too, but Bentley is who he is, a back up. You are greatly underrating what D-Ryans is worth to us.
You are correct, sir.