PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall: Broncos placed the first-round tender.

Blake
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Twitter

Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)

Come and get him: Broncos placed the first-round tender on WR Brandon Marshall.

nero THE zero
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
They also put a first round tender on board favorite, Chris Kuper.

JB
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
They also put a first round tender on board favorite, Chris Kuper.

Link?

Grams
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/orton-gets-first-round-tender-scheffer-a-second/

JB
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
oops, I missed it.

LonerATO
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
You know that was done because of the Mastermind in DC

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
It is actually a good move by the Broncos. Even with a silly contract, a team is not going to get a better WR in the draft w/o some luck. If I am a team from pick 20 down and felt I needed a WR, then he is a relative bargain even with the headaches.

TimeKiller
03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
1st rounder for a stud at WR/mouth? Well, it would make the decision of whether or not to resign Kevin Walter easy. It would be really hard to argue they blew the pick unless he does something REALLY stupid. It also might take some heat off of that sh!tty run blocking. It also might be fun to watch a defense trip, fall and cry as Andre, Marshall and Matty Ice rip them a new endzone.

That's why it will never happen.

I dare the Texans to get a better player for a 1st round pick.

ChampionTexan
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
It is actually a good move by the Broncos. Even with a silly contract, a team is not going to get a better WR in the draft w/o some luck. If I am a team from pick 20 down and felt I needed a WR, then he is a relative bargain even with the headaches.

This is not a guy who's only had one or two minor issues and is simply misunderstood. Remember, before he got suspended for the last two or three weeks of training camp, and before he got effectively suspended for the last week or two of the 2009 regular season, he spent the first few months after the '08 season looking at the very real possibility of being suspended.

He may be on his best behavior for a short while, but the problem with that as I see it is you almost have to assume he will wear out his welcome pretty quick ala T.O. A one or two year honeymoon, and then it's time for a divorce - not much in between. Given the angst and torment you're likely to encounter, and the miniscule shelf life of his career with an individual team, I would be extremely reluctant to give up even a very low #1.

leebigeztx
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
A team right outside the playoff last year would be a fool not to give up a 1st rd pick and money for marshall. He's not for everyone, but for a team with receiver problems and looking at the draft and free agent crop, he would be a great move.

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
This is not a guy who's only had one or two minor issues and is simply misunderstood. Remember, before he got suspended for the last two or three weeks of training camp, and before he got effectively suspended for the last week or two of the 2009 regular season, he spent the first few months after the '08 season looking at the very real possibility of being suspended.

He may be on his best behavior for a short while, but the problem with that as I see it is you almost have to assume he will wear out his welcome pretty quick ala T.O. A one or two year honeymoon, and then it's time for a divorce - not much in between. Given the angst and torment you're likely to encounter, and the miniscule shelf life of his career with an individual team, I would be extremely reluctant to give up even a very low #1.

You have to remember that 50 catch WRs grow on trees, but 100 catch WRs do not. The risk is that you are close enough to winning to keep him happy and that you have a lockerroom that helps keeep him in check. Most of his issue are immaturity versus criminal. A team like the Texans won't bother, but if a WR is your top need then trying to get a couple of years out him is worthwhile, IMO.

Texan4Ever
03-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry to take away from the thread but can someone explain the whole tender concept?

Can a team just place a tender on anyone to prevent that player from being signed? e.g. Placing a 1st round tender on Dunta Robinson?

ChampionTexan
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
You have to remember that 50 catch WRs grow on trees, but 100 catch WRs do not. The risk is that you are close enough to winning to keep him happy and that you have a lockerroom that helps keeep him in check. Most of his issue are immaturity versus criminal. A team like the Texans won't bother, but if a WR is your top need then trying to get a couple of years out him is worthwhile, IMO.

I don't disgree that the reward is worth some risk, but I question whether given the chance to do it over again, the Eagles would have still signed T.O., even though they did get a step further with him on the roster than they'd gotten before or since. Perhaps they'd happily agree to go through all that again - sadly, we'll never know that answer with any certainty.

I will take issue with the bolded part. While I suppose most or at least many criminal issues could be argued to also be tied to immaturity, the reason he was sweating out a suspension last off-season was because he was arrested on 3/1/09 for the 4th time since 2006. Sounds kind of immature and criminal if you ask me.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry to take away from the thread but can someone explain the whole tender concept?

Can a team just place a tender on anyone to prevent that player from being signed? e.g. Placing a 1st round tender on Dunta Robinson?

No. It's only on restricted free agents. Dunta is an unrestricted free agent. But players who've only been in the league for a certain number of years are automatically restricted free agents when their contracts expire.

(That "certain" number of years changes with the CBA not being extended/renegotiated from 4 to 6, iirc. So players that were thinking they were going to be unrestricted free agents suddenly became restricted free agents and didn't get their pay-days.)

Blake
03-04-2010, 07:36 AM
It sounds crazy when I say it out loud, but I would love to see Marshall on the Texans. Who do you double cover? AJ and his 1500 yards 2 seasons in a row, or Brandon Marshall and his 100+ receptions 3 years in a row?

BigBull17
03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
A team right outside the playoff last year would be a fool not to give up a 1st rd pick and money for marshall. He's not for everyone, but for a team with receiver problems and looking at the draft and free agent crop, he would be a great move.

He's an ass, but I would sign the dotted line on his ass. To good not to take a chance.

BigBull17
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
It sounds crazy when I say it out loud, but I would love to see Marshall on the Texans. Who do you double cover? AJ and his 1500 yards 2 seasons in a row, or Brandon Marshall and his 100+ receptions 3 years in a row?

DA would be walking down the field completly uncovered. Way to many weapons.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
It sounds crazy when I say it out loud, but I would love to see a WR with Marshall-like talent on the Texans. Who do you double cover? AJ and his 1500 yards 2 seasons in a row, or Brandon Marshall and his 100+ receptions 3 years in a row?

Changed to express my thoughts.