PDA

View Full Version : John McClain in chat

HouSportsWriter
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
i asked him these questions the chat is going on for another 30 min so go over there
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

question 1

john
Tuesday March 2, 2010 11:58 John McClain

11:59 [Comment From slatonisanbeast slatonisanbeast : ]
hi would you trade slaton for picks Tuesday March 2, 2010 11:59 slatonisanbeast

11:59 John McClain: What would you give for a back with a fumble problem coming off back/neck surgery?

question 2

[Comment From slatonisanbeast slatonisanbeast : ]
should the texans let go of kevin walter Tuesday March 2, 2010 12:05 slatonisanbeast

12:05 John McClain: Not unless his demands are outrageous.

question 3

would the texans have a chance to get c.j spiller in the draft Tuesday March 2, 2010 12:09 slatonisanbeast

12:10 John McClain: He's supposed to be gone, and if he isn't, I don't know yet how he fits with their system. Scouts tell me Mathews fits perfectly with what they and the Redskins are doing

question 4

is there a corner in free agentcy that you like and has a chance of joining the texans Tuesday March 2, 2010 12:17 slatonisanbeast

12:17 John McClain: Not as a starter. A bunch of journeymen. Tuesday March 2, 2010 12:17 John McClain

HuttoKarl
03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I bet he stinks of polish sausage and filterless cigarettes.

HouSportsWriter
03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
haha

Hoss
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM

:spit:

HuttoKarl
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Oh my...what's going on with your avatar?

HOU-TEX
03-02-2010, 02:50 PM
HOU-TEX's random comment of the day: McClain's chats are the worst evaaarrr!

BigBull17
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Who's the talent in your Avatar? She seems smart.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Those 4 questions will be used in another form over and over. He covers about 10 total questions in an hour. Those 10 are asked 20 different ways,

HOU-TEX
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Those 4 questions will be used in another form over and over. He covers about 10 total questions in an hour. Those 10 are asked 20 different ways,

A Classic McClain:

(sample)
Joe Bob: Who do you think the Texans have rated higher in the 1st round RB or CB?

McGobbler: Whoever they have rated higher.

WTF??!! The reader asked for his opinion and this is the type answer they get? The dude's a parrot, nothing more

BullNation4Life
03-02-2010, 03:22 PM

have you seen Anna-Megan's blogs and chats? If I could find a puke smiley, I'd use it...

Esoom
03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Ahh, enlightening answers by McClain as usual. I'm sure Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson are all wrong for "our system" as well.

False Start
03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
They said just awhile ago on SR610, that McClain's word on football news is "golden." .......... :lol: :ok:

swtbound07
03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
slaton, props on getting 4 questions answered. I'd rather read one of your old posts with the bad spelling and grammar then some of his "thoughts"

Brisco_County
03-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I really do think his chat sessions are getting progressively worse.

A couple of years ago, I actually found them informative. Nowdays, he doesn't give you any more information than what can be found in his articles, and at least the articles are absent of all the ridiculously ignorant chat questions.

powerfuldragon
03-04-2010, 12:51 AM
nah, he's not cool enough for lucky strikes or english ovals.. more likely virginia slims.

slaton, props on getting 4 questions answered. I'd rather read one of your old posts with the bad spelling and grammar then some of his "thoughts"
those posts were capital.

They said just awhile ago on SR610, that McClain's word on football news is "golden." .......... :lol: :ok:
don't listen to that twaddle. unless kalu's on the air.

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I just saw a bunch of "I don't know until maybe next week" and "They'll take who they think is best" and "Sausage, biscuits, sausage, gravy, nicotine..." answers...which really aren't answers at all.

I could have given out that "insider" info. IMO, Lance Zierlein is the best the Chronicle has to offer.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I just saw a bunch of "I don't know until maybe next week" and "They'll take who they think is best" and "Sausage, biscuits, sausage, gravy, nicotine..." answers...which really aren't answers at all.

I could have given out that "insider" info. IMO, Lance Zierlein is the best the Chronicle has to offer.

And TexansTalk's own Texans Chick, of course.

HuttoKarl
03-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Of course!

Tailgate
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I really do think his chat sessions are getting progressively worse.

A couple of years ago, I actually found them informative. Nowdays, he doesn't give you any more information than what can be found in his articles, and at least the articles are absent of all the ridiculously ignorant chat questions.

Thats kinda why I am not as hard on the guy as most around here. I mean if I was sent all those hundreds upon hundreds of completely IDIOTIC questions over and over and over and over again, I am not so sure my answers wouldn't be as watered down and repetitive as his are by now as well.

steelbtexan
03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

Yep

Repped

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Thats kinda why I am not as hard on the guy as most around here. I mean if I was sent all those hundreds upon hundreds of completely IDIOTIC questions over and over and over and over again, I am not so sure my answers wouldn't be as watered down and repetitive as his are by now as well.

Except he is becoming a donkey's behind as well about it both on air and in his chats. For example folks calling in about Rolle and his response is "well why do you think the Cardinals are letting him go" as if no team ever lets a good player go in free agency. Sure the questions have to be annoying but that's his job and the profession which gets him sent all over the nation and tickets to little things like the Super Bowl as well.

I did like the confirmation in his latest chat that he basically has no Texans' sources twice saying something like "they don't tell me."

steelbtexan
03-04-2010, 10:53 AM

It's his job, he gets paid

McClain hides his lack of knowledge/work ethic by being arrogant.

His sources left town with the Oilersand he's to lazy to go out there and develop new sources.

It's hard to develop new relationships with people when most of your time is spent at the movies.

Tailgate
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm really not gonna get in some debate trying to justify the guy as some heralded reporter. Nor am I gonna go after the guy as if he brings nothing to the table at all...

Brisco_County
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
It's his job, he gets paid

McClain hides his lack of knowledge/work ethic by being arrogant.

His sources left town with the Oilersand he's to lazy to go out there and develop new sources.

It's hard to develop new relationships with people when most of your time is spent at the movies.

I don't know about all that. He's just a plain vanilla beat writer who reports the official line; His specialty is football history and the English language, and really not much beyond that. His analysis is based on official word, which means it's only right half the time, and he's not right-brained enough to connect more dots like Alan Burge.

But he serves his purpose. After I learned all the basics about the Texans organization from his material, I moved on to Burge and TexansChick. McClain's readership are the people with an entry-level understanding of the game and the team, and their questions and comments reflect that.