PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Wilson

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2010, 06:12 PM
What's the word on Wilson? Everyone, myself included, is talking about FS as a need that could be addressed in the 1st or 2nd round. Anybody know what's going on with Wilson's injuries and his recovery?

Contract Info:
2/26/2009: Signed a three-year, $11.3 million contract. The deal includes $3.85 million guaranteed. 2009-2011: Under Contract, 2012: Free Agent

Does he make it back to starting form? If so, he seemed to be a pretty good FS for us and that alleviates having to address FS early. Just wanted to see what people thought.

Texan_Bill
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Effin Brett Favre!!

Goatcheese
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
It would be great to get him back healthy, but you'd still like to see a guy who isn't a 1 dimensional coverage safety back there. Even if he makes a full recovery I'd like to see them finally spend a high pick on a well rounded player who can cover, tackle and play the ball.

Well.. I can dream anyway. :pop:

dalemurphy
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
ANTREL ROLLE! He has a history with Frank Bush, he's physical and very gifted athletically. He can cover WRs as well as play centerfield. He's still young.

Must make a play for this guy!

ArlingtonTexan
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I would have liked to seen more of Wilson and Pollard together, especially since I think their strenghts and weaknesses actually mess well together. My thought is that the need at safety is a little overrated assumng that both of these guys are healthy, but I don't have enough games to make that assertion with real confidence.

Still even if the Texans are happy enough with Wilson as a starter they do need to get a more FS type as depth who could develop in a starter or like 25 other teams in the league hope that draft/find/develop one of the handful of true ballhawking FS making Wilson quality depth versus a okay starter.

WolverineFan
03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
ANTREL ROLLE! He has a history with Frank Bush, he's physical and very gifted athletically. He can cover WRs as well as play centerfield. He's still young.

Must make a play for this guy!

As long as he's not asking for $5 mil a year it's a possibility. I'm not a big fan of his but he could be a solution to the problem. He will most likely command a high salary in FA though.

WolverineFan
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I would have liked to seen more of Wilson and Pollard together, especially since I think their strenghts and weaknesses actually mess well together. My thought is that the need at safety is a little overrated assumng that both of these guys are healthy, but I don't have enough games to make that assertion with real confidence.

Still even if the Texans are happy enough with Wilson as a starter they do need to get a more FS type as depth who could develop in a starter or like 25 other teams in the league hope that draft/find/develop one of the handful of true ballhawking FS making Wilson quality depth versus a okay starter.

I think the thing with Wilson is that he's unreliable in regards to staying healthy. He's missed 29 games in the last 4 years (about 45%). When he's healthy he is an above average starter and is a good fit at FS for us. He is not a playmaker, but he is a solid player that will do his job. Sometimes that's all you need.

However, we really need to get a guy like Thomas that can be a playmaker in the secondary or we could get someone like Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett, who can sit for a year or two and then take over for Wilson when his contract runs out.

RagingBull
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
As long as he's not asking for $5 mil a year it's a possibility. I'm not a big fan of his but he could be a solution to the problem. He will most likely command a high salary in FA though.

I think he would definitely be worth $5 Mil. We are paying Wilson almost 4. I think that Rolle would be at least 25% better.

WolverineFan
03-02-2010, 12:22 AM
I think he would definitely be worth $5 Mil. We are paying Wilson almost 4. I think that Rolle would be at least 25% better.

Yes, but then we're investing around $9 million a year on 2 safeties that play the same position. Not very good business.

m5kwatts
03-02-2010, 12:24 AM
When healthy I like Eugene

When not healthy and costing 4 mil towards the (phantom) cap, not so much

BullNation4Life
03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
:lol:Effin Brett Favre!!:lol:

http://images3.everyjoe.com/files/2010/01/brett-favre-mistake-krtphotoslive393177-SPORTS-FBN-SAIN.jpg

Karma, man she can be a real witch...:scarygirl:

Line_Producer
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes, but then we're investing around $9 million a year on 2 safeties that play the same position. Not very good business.

We would be getting rid of Eugene, plus no salary cap next year.

dalemurphy
03-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Not true. Both Wilson and Rolle have the ability to play CB. There are numerous ways to use both of those guys and get value out of them. There are all kinds of nickel and dime packages that could be incorporated, not to mention a base defense with both those guys lined up at safety in certain situations.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Not true. Both Wilson and Rolle have the ability to play CB. There are numerous ways to use both of those guys and get value out of them. There are all kinds of nickel and dime packages that could be incorporated, not to mention a base defense with both those guys lined up at safety in certain situations.

That's a good point, we'd have great depth at safety and given our Cornerback situation and their age/experience (or lack thereof)... I could see having Wilson and Rolle on the field together more than one would think.

We still have (NEED) to re-sign Pollard so that would make for a pretty expensive concentration in $'s at the Safety position. With that said, we're not spending teh $10-12MM on Dunta. Reeves has a respectable contract but nothing outrageous and the others are being paid peanuts. Even if we spend our 1st on a CB, it's still not much, considering the alternative. Our secondary from an overall $ standpoint, I think, would be alright.

Sign Antrelle Rolle, re-sign Bernard Pollard, get Eugene Wilson healthy, trade up for Joe Haden. :evil: Muahaha, so long Peyton.

TheRealJoker
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
It doesn't matter if the value is at safety when the 20th overall pick rolls around...

Similar to the Cushing pick last year, if the BPA on our board is at a position where we can upgrade significantly even if we've already got a solid player at that spot, we will make the upgrade. If there is a player at 20 that is anything close to the football player Cushing is then i'm all for it!!!

RagingBull
03-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I think it would be very unlikely to hit like we did with Cushing two years in a row. I also thought it would be highly unlikely to get two DROY's over a 3 year span.

WolverineFan
03-03-2010, 12:29 AM

Rolle was moved to FS because he could not play CB in the NFL. Well he could, he just wasn't very good.

PHAROAH
03-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Cut him loose.

Shaft75
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Earl Thomas.

El Tejano
03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Earl Thomas.

I sincerely hope so.

I did like this guy too though:

Reshad Jones, FS/SS, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.54.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 39.5.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
3/3/10: Reshad Jones ran well (4.54) and had a nice vertical (39.5) at the Combine. I also thought he looked very good in the drills.

1/5/10: Reshad Jones has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Jones probably won't be a first-round pick, but as a 22-year-old fourth-year junior, the timing is probably right. No need to risk injury.

5/23/09: As a sophomore, Reshad Jones managed 76 tackles, five interceptions and three passes broken up.

That is a guy that provides versatility and those guys always have a chance.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Earl Thomas.

I think I might start climbing on his bandwagon too. Not that the Combine means diddly, but he had a very good showing. He seems somewhat intelligent.

If we elected not to go with a DT at #20, I'd be very satisfied picking Earl.

BullNation4Life
03-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I think I might start climbing on his bandwagon too. Not that the Combine means diddly, but he had a very good showing. He seems somewhat intelligent.

If we elected not to go with a DT at #20, I'd be very satisfied picking Earl.

Thing with Earl Thomas is he can play 2 positions. He could fill in Robison's place and you could go with Quinn, Thomas, Reeves, McCain on the corners, still draft another in the late rounds, and Wilson and Pollard on the safeties. If Wilson goes down, move Thomas to FS and you still have Quinn, Reeves, McCain and rookie....

b0ng
03-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I think with Thomas's strong strong combine, along with other DB's having a relatively weak one (Hayden, Mays) Thomas is probably out of our range.

Sad really, but if Hayden falls out he would be an excellent consolation prize.

Shaft75
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
That coin toss we lost to ATL might have really hurt us. Look at the top 19 in terms of need(teams that need secondary help in bold):

1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)
6. Seattle (5-11)
7. Cleveland (5-11)
8. Oakland (5-11)
9. Buffalo (6-10)
10. Jacksonville (7-9)
11. Denver (8-8)
12. Miami (7-9)
13. San Francisco (8-8)
14. Seattle (5-11)
15. New York Giants (8-8)
16. Tennessee (8-8)
17. San Francisco (8-8)
18. Pittsburgh (9-7)
19. Atlanta (9-7)
20. Houston (9-7)

Some of those get stricken off of the list in terms of the slate of their draft pick. Earl Thomas may not fall past San Fran or Pittsburgh. Also you have to remember that there is always the possibility of a team trading up. I just feel a little uncertain about Earl Thomas making it that far.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Thing with Earl Thomas is he can play 2 positions. He could fill in Robison's place and you could go with Quinn, Thomas, Reeves, McCain on the corners, still draft another in the late rounds, and Wilson and Pollard on the safeties. If Wilson goes down, move Thomas to FS and you still have Quinn, Reeves, McCain and rookie....

I could dig that. We still have Troy Nolan too. I'm not saying he'll step in and contribute, just that there's a possibility he could push for a position. Never know

badboy
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I sincerely hope so.

I did like this guy too though:

Reshad Jones, FS/SS, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.54.
Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 39.5.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
3/3/10: Reshad Jones ran well (4.54) and had a nice vertical (39.5) at the Combine. I also thought he looked very good in the drills.

1/5/10: Reshad Jones has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Jones probably won't be a first-round pick, but as a 22-year-old fourth-year junior, the timing is probably right. No need to risk injury.

5/23/09: As a sophomore, Reshad Jones managed 76 tackles, five interceptions and three passes broken up.

That is a guy that provides versatility and those guys always have a chance.I think it was reported that Reshad did not have a good combine niether did Chad Jones

badboy
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
That coin toss we lost to ATL might have really hurt us. Look at the top 19 in terms of need(teams that need secondary help in bold):

1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)
6. Seattle (5-11)
7. Cleveland (5-11)
8. Oakland (5-11)
9. Buffalo (6-10)
10. Jacksonville (7-9)
11. Denver (8-8)
12. Miami (7-9)
13. San Francisco (8-8)
14. Seattle (5-11)
15. New York Giants (8-8)
16. Tennessee (8-8)
17. San Francisco (8-8)
18. Pittsburgh (9-7)
19. Atlanta (9-7)
20. Houston (9-7)

Some of those get stricken off of the list in terms of the slate of their draft pick. Earl Thomas may not fall past San Fran or Pittsburgh. Also you have to remember that there is always the possibility of a team trading up. I just feel a little uncertain about Earl Thomas making it that far.I think many drafts also have that mysterious pick that comes out of nowhere & draftniks scratch their heads.

BigBull17
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
It would be great to get him back healthy, but you'd still like to see a guy who isn't a 1 dimensional coverage safety back there. Even if he makes a full recovery I'd like to see them finally spend a high pick on a well rounded player who can cover, tackle and play the ball.

Well.. I can dream anyway. :pop:

I would like Earl Thomas for this reason. He could play CB if he didn't beat out Wilson. You still draft a CB later, with value, and groom him fro when Wilson is gone and ET is a FS.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I would like Earl Thomas for this reason. He could play CB if he didn't beat out Wilson. You still draft a CB later, with value, and groom him fro when Wilson is gone and ET is a FS.

If a guy's unable to beat out Wilson at FS then I highly doubt he'd be acceptable at an even tougher position like CB.

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 11:48 AM

If a guy's unable to beat out Wilson at FS then I highly doubt he'd be acceptable at an even tougher position like CB.

Wilson isn't a bad player at all, but someone remind me of the long list of college FS's that have converted to NFL CB's?

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Wilson isn't a bad player at all, but someone remind me of the long list of college FS's that have converted to NFL CB's?

That's basically what I said too, no? Unless I worded it incorrectly

infantrycak
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
That's basically what I said too, no? Unless I worded it incorrectly

I guess I wasn't clear enough. The first half of that was for you and the latter for the other person I quoted which was generally to agree with you.

Section516
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't care who we get, as long as they can get some turnovers. Just for those who don't remember, the guy's who were reamed for having no ball skills (Pollard,Cushing) lead our team in interceptions.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I guess I wasn't clear enough. The first half of that was for you and the latter for the other person I quoted which was generally to agree with you.

Oh okay. I suppose it did sound kind of back-handed towards Wilson. I think Wilson is a decent FS, but health has been his primary concern. We all know what we have behind he and Pollard and it isn't pretty. Either way, it'll have to be addressed some time or another.

nfldraft2010
03-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh okay. I suppose it did sound kind of back-handed towards Wilson. I think Wilson is a decent FS, but health has been his primary concern. We all know what we have behind he and Pollard and it isn't pretty. Either way, it'll have to be addressed some time or another.

Very true.