PDA

View Full Version : What Do Think About Dunte Leaving

gary
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Per John McClain man, all I got to say is he continues to amaze me with his outstanding observations that even the legendary Stevie Wonder could see.:kitten:
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/02/what_do_you_think_about_robins.html

Texan4Ever
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
LOL Gary be nice! :)

I'm glad Dunta is leaving, its time we replace him. Do we get anything if he sign with another team and we don't match their offer?

painekiller
02-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I say to Dunta" Thank you for rewarding us fans with hard play and heart, and now, Don't let the door hit you in the ass".

gary
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
LOL Gary be nice! :)But, you know it is so true and kind of funny.

ChampionTexan
02-28-2010, 02:17 PM
We think all sorts of things ranging from "This is a horrible move that will set the franchise back for years to come" all the way to "Dunta was a cancer and a nickel CB at best - his departure is guaranteed to do nothing but make this team better".

Sadly, I believe both positions represent lunatic fringe (or at least lunatics), and the real answer is yet to be determined (but will not be either position described in my first paragraph).

Farough
02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I say to Dunta" Thank you for rewarding us fans with hard play and heart, and now, Don't let the door hit you in the ass".

Yup, Don't want to damage the door.

steelbtexan
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM

This

LOL

V3rm0nt3r
02-28-2010, 04:23 PM
i would be ok with letting him walk if and only IF one of these two things happens...

1. He continues to ask for top 10 money. some team will pay him a rather large amount to leave but these teams will be teams like St. Louis or Cleveland or Tampa rather than like New England or New Orleans so if he leaves like that than i have no problem with him leaving.

2. we pick up a fairly good CB to replace him in FA. I'd love to see a first rounder go for a CB but we need a vet presense at that position and right now we'd start Reeves and Quin with Bennett and a few 2nd year players next year (McCain and Parsons) as depth. no thanks.

Big Lou
02-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I was one of Dunta's biggest fans prior to the injury. Had he come back after the injury a step slower, but with out all the BS, I would still be a fan. However the crap he pulled was ridiculous, especially the "Hey I made a good play let's celebrate", while Manning torched the D, was the straw that broke the camel back.

I wish hime the best, but I think it's for the best. Yes we have a hole at CB now, but not a gaping hole (Anymore than there was before). Keeping Dunta just to make a different pick in the draft is a piss poor reason, it's the same logic as keeping Weaver so we wouldn't have to focus on DL.

bah007
02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I would like to thank Dunta for everything he gave to this organization, but at the same time I do think that at this point the best thing for both parties is for him to move on.

beerlover
02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
I would like to thank Dunta for everything he gave to this organization, but at the same time I do think that at this point the best thing for both parties is for him to move on.

finally some closure.

Norg
02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I liked dunta hair and hard hits other then that he couldn't play
cb worth a dand lol he was a capers guy anyway so u knew
this would happen sooner or later now we just got to get a solid
cb In the draft and groom him

krocket
02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Dunta Robinson is a classic case of burning your bridge. The only difference is he didn't burn it behind him, he burned it in front of him.

awtysst
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
DR is a great example of why we as a fan base should never get too attached to a specific player. At one point he was the most beloved Texan and was a major fan favorite. A few years later not only does he depart but there is a large contingent on this board that would have liked to have run him out of town.

So instead, cheer for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Today's most popular player may not be on the team tomorrow (ie HWWNBM or DR). It just saves a lot of aggravation in the end.

Plus, it makes it a lot easier if we can trade an aging superstar who has lost a step or two for an up and comer or a solid draft picks.

I am a Texans fan, not a fan of any specific player.

Mr teX
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Lets just run down our roster of cb's without him shall we.

Quinn- Promising prospect but still not sold after 1 year. Anyone remember Bennett's 1st year? He looked like a player too. Now he's pretty much on his way out. We can't annoint this guy just yet.
Reeves - hasn't shown he can be the guy &/or stay healthy.
Molden- can't stay healthy
McCain- looked shaky at best during spot duty & could go either way. He's also afraid of contact.
Bennett- LoL

In other words, Its a bad move until we see what the texans decide to do to fill his void b/c make no mistake about it we have gotten worse with his departure. Nevertheless it had to be done b/c he doesn't deserve what he was being paid. Let him go & see what's out there for him.

Hervoyel
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
The words "time to move on" don't always apply to a bad player. I think we'd pretty much established that David Carr was a lousy QB by the time he left the the Texans but even if that had still been in doubt (and there are still a few people who think the Texans ruined him and not the other way around) it was time for him to move on. People were tired of waiting on him to do something. Dunta is a different case and I don't think there's any doubt that he can play in the NFL and that he was a good corner. I don't believe he was anywhere close to the player he thought he was but he can start in the NFL. All the same it was time for him to move on and I think he knew that before any of us did. Dunta was the vocal one and the guy who seemed to take the early losing hardest so I'm glad he got to win at least one season here even if it was just by a single game. Still, I'm glad he's gone. It was time for a change back there.

I think Quinn is a promising prospect and I think Reeves will hold the other side down just fine until someone else is ready to do it. Nobody is "set" everywhere in this league. Everybody has a unit on their team they're still improving. Draft a highly regarded corner in the first round, sign somebody like Antrel Rolle if he gets released and just like that secondary will start being talked about like a position we're solid at.

I think concern over Dunta's departure is a bit premature. We'll be fine.

awtysst
02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Lets just run down our roster of cb's without him shall we.

Quinn- Promising prospect but still not sold after 1 year. Anyone remember Bennett's 1st year? He looked like a player too. Now he's pretty much on his way out. We can't annoint this guy just yet.
Reeves - hasn't shown he can be the guy &/or stay healthy.
Molden- can't stay healthy
McCain- looked shaky at best during spot duty & could go either way. He's also afraid of contact.
Bennett- LoL

In other words, Its a bad move until we see what the texans decide to do to fill his void b/c make no mistake about it we have gotten worse with his departure. Nevertheless it had to be done b/c he doesn't deserve what he was being paid. Let him go & see what's out there for him.

Except we know that DR did not play like a starter. He did not even play at the level of a nickel corner. He play was so poor that he was pretty much a DIME level corner getting payed like a top starter last year. We can easily take that money and replace that type of play. If we want to get a better player, we should have no problem doing that too.

Now, I think part of his issue was he was still recovering. I think he will get better, but I am not sure he is still a starter at this point.

ATXtexanfan
02-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Dunta leaving is addition by subtraction.

ArlingtonTexan
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
The words "time to move on" don't always apply to a bad player. I think we'd pretty much established that David Carr was a lousy QB by the time he left the the Texans but even if that had still be in doubt (and there are still a few people who think the Texans ruined him and not the other way around) it was time for him to move on. People were tired of waiting on him to do something. Dunta is a different case and I don't think there's any doubt that he can play in the NFL and that he was a good corner. I don't believe he was anywhere close to the player he thought he was but he can start in the NFL. All the same it was time for him to move on and I think he knew that before any of us did. Dunta was the vocal one and the guy who seemed to take the early losing hardest so I'm glad he got to win at least one season here even if it was just by a single game. Still, I'm glad he's gone. It was time for a change back there.

I think Quinn is a promising prospect and I think Reeves will hold the other side down just fine until someone else is ready to do it. Nobody is "set" everywhere in this league. Everybody has a unit on their team they're still improving. Draft a highly regarded corner in the first round, sign somebody like Antrel Rolle if he gets released and just like that secondary will start being talked about like a position we're solid at.

I think concern over Dunta's departure is a bit premature. We'll be fine.

I think this reflects the attitude of the Texans' administration. A good, starting player, who was not a difference maker that the organization was going to have pay difference maker money (long or short term). My guess is that you will see a similiar bit with Kevin Walter, a good starting player who will not be worth the money (long or short term) that it requires to keep him.

Every NFL team walks away from okay to good players at some point because the difference between them and Just Another Guy(s) is not as much as many fans tend to think.

CloakNNNdagger
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
As I think back over the years, it seems that every time we might have been disappointed over losing a player we as fans thought should have been retained because of potential, he usually disappeared into oblivion.

As the Texans have "discarded" players, it has not been a case of "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Rather, "One man's treasure is another's trash." I believe this will be another case of a smelly treasure being recognized as partially deoderized trash.

BigTimeTexanFan
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I think the problem some fans are having is the un-capped year. Most people tend to think because there is no cap this year it doesn't matter what they pay him, he's a starter and they should keep him at all costs. However, people forget that there WILL be a salary cap again. Why is this important? If you start overpaying players like DR, Pitts and KW, for example, just to keep them because "we are close", next year when the cap returns (and it will), players like Demeco, OD, MW, and Pollard are going to have more dificult negotiations because well "you payed Dunta 10M and 12M respectively for one year and he wasn't even in the top half of the league for his position". To me, this has as much to do with the success of the long term of the franchise as it does with the short term.

ChampionTexan
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
As I think back over the years, it seems that every time we might have been disappointed over losing a player we as fans thought should have been retained because of potential, he usually disappeared into oblivion.

As the Texans have "discarded" players, it has not been a case of "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Rather, "One man's treasure is another's trash." I believe this will be another case of a smelly treasure being recognized as partially deoderized trash.

That could very well end up being the longer term result, but in terms of the current view, I don't believe that's how the league will see it at all. I think there will be far more demand for his services than any previous "Former Texan", and his next contract will be the proof. I don't think it will even be close.

CloakNNNdagger
02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
That could very well end up being the longer term result, but in terms of the current view, I don't believe that's how the league will see it at all. I think there will be far more demand for his services than any previous "Former Texan", and his next contract will be the proof. I don't think it will even be close.

I don't argue with the fact that there will be someone(s) out there willing to give him a nice pay day. But his next contract will be no more PROOF of profitable performance returns than his contract to the Texans were last year. I believe that Dunta will end up making his next team ask themselves "Why me???":cry2:

Hervoyel
02-28-2010, 11:32 PM

True but every team lets somebody go sooner or later who some portion of the rest of the NFL thinks is valuable. It's just that the Texans have almost never been in the position of having somebody like this. Dunta will be greeted like a valuable commodity by teams looking for a corner. Good for him but like all those other teams we finally can look at a pretty average player and say "Know what? You're not worth that. Thanks but we'll pass" and that's cool. You see good teams in the NFL let guys go yearly who think they belong in a higher tax bracket because they don't agree with them.

swtbound07
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Mcclain-sportswriting

as

Helen Keller-Hopscotch

WolverineFan
03-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Would it be better for the Texans as a team to keep Dunta? Yes.

Would it be better for the Texans as a business to keep Dunta? No.

We want to keep Dunta because if he leaves then we need a CB badly, but we will not pay him a superstar mega-deal just because we need a CB because he is not worth that kind of money.

Losing Dunta makes the Texans worse as a team, but they are making the right move by letting him walk. On the business side, you cannot go around handing out superstar contracts to anybody who wants them. Only the guys that deserve them will get them (Schaub, Williams, Ryans, etc.) and Dunta does not deserve one.

badboy
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I compare Tracy McGrady to DR. I thought both would help their team to a championship. Both performed well initially and both had season ending injuries. Both did things to drive me away as a fan. Both are now gone.

Thorn
03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
How bad is it that when we lose Dunta we lose our best CB?

It's BAD, real bad. CB is a real need this offseason.

As to Dunta, bye, see ya later, I wish no ill will on you, but I ain't gonna be at the airport waving good bye to ya.

Trail.Blazr
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Should have Franchised him and sat his ass and we could spend the season looking at his shoes, which say "Play me Rick"

kiwitexansfan
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I have been pretty open with my Dunta Dislike. I have said many times he is over-rated by fans. I also have been turned off him by his attitude last year.

Obviously I am not sad to see him go.

He has been a big part of this franchise though and it is sad to see him leave with a bad taste in everyones mouth.

I can see him being a good #2 corner somewhere.... just glad that it isn't here.

HJam72
03-02-2010, 01:09 PM
He would be a great #2 corner. That's exactly the problem. He's not a great #1 corner, but he want's to be paid like one.

Esoom
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't wish Dunta any ill will. He has always been a pretty stand up character, and a good influence on the team. It's just a business decision. He knows he can get the money, even if it's not here, and I can't fault him for that. I commend the Texans for not capitulating to him though, especially when he played so poorly last year. All in all, I think it's the best for both sides.

Beau Texan
03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
He turned down 20 mil. Dunte wasn't a top 10 corner anyway but it's ashame the Texans are to cheap to keep it's GOOD players. looks like the will let D Ryans and K Walter walk and try to replace them with draft picks. Bob McNugget is an moron and until you stop paying for garbage they will continue to put a pathetic product on the field!

Esoom
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
dunte wasn't a top 10 corner anyway but it's ashame the Texans are to cheap to keep it GOOD players. looks like the will let d ryans and k walter walk and try to replace them with draft picks. Bob McNugget is an *****!

What has led you to believe they will let either, much less both, of those players walk? How about you wait until it actually happens before you start attacking Bob Mcnair.

JB
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
dunte wasn't a top 10 corner anyway but it's ashame the texans are to cheap to keep it's good players. Looks like the will let d ryans and k walter walk and try to replace them with draft picks. Bob mcnugget is an moron and until you stop paying for garbage they will continue to put a pathetic product on the field!

wtf?

Mr teX
03-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Except we know that DR did not play like a starter. He did not even play at the level of a nickel corner. He play was so poor that he was pretty much a DIME level corner getting payed like a top starter last year. We can easily take that money and replace that type of play. If we want to get a better player, we should have no problem doing that too.

Now, I think part of his issue was he was still recovering. I think he will get better, but I am not sure he is still a starter at this point.

Dunta played like a starter, he just didn't play like a top 5 cb to match his salary which was the fundamental problem with him staying here. & ok, if snagging a #1 cb by your standards is so easy, who do you propose we get? There's absolutely nothing in FA, & is there really a cb in the draft that's capable of coming in & starting right away? I'm not so sure.

leebigeztx
03-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Just my take, I think robinson is a 8-14 corner in the league. He's a great tackler, ultra competitive, a a good cover guy not great. To me, he's in the same boat as winfield was in buffalo a few years back. Now people see the true value of a corner who won't turn down a play like cromartie did in the playoffs. What fans will also need to realize is all the years he played without pressure in front of him. If he lands with a team that generates good pressure, you will see him elevated to pro bowl status. I think the texans are too deep in the game o lose quality football players. If he can be paid 5m per, then maybe its something to consider, but saying he's not a good football player who helps the texans win games is just false.

thetrooper
03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
lets hope the door he's exiting isn't a revolving door:facepalm:

CloakNNNdagger
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Just my take, I think robinson is a 8-14 corner in the league. He's a great tackler, ultra competitive, a a good cover guy not great. To me, he's in the same boat as winfield was in buffalo a few years back. Now people see the true value of a corner who won't turn down a play like cromartie did in the playoffs. What fans will also need to realize is all the years he played without pressure in front of him. If he lands with a team that generates good pressure, you will see him elevated to pro bowl status. I think the texans are too deep in the game o lose quality football players. If he can be paid 5m per, then maybe its something to consider, but saying he's not a good football player who helps the texans win games is just false.

Certainly, he is no great cover. And last year, I can't count how many whiffs he made missing tackles, something that in his early days was virtually unheard of. 5 million?......maybe.............full confidence contract?...........I'd rather go to the Las Vegas casinos.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't understand the hatred for the guy. He was an average to above average CB who was a good guy. He made the mistake of going public with his contract negotiations, but it happens throughout the league. We hear of contract disputes dang near every day during the off-season.

There's a 99.9% chance he's gone, so why keep beating the guy down? He always seemed to leave it all out on the field on gameday. Y'all should be trashing a player named Amobi Okoye. Sure, he was decent this past season, but still not the player worthy of his draft.

My .02

Grams
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Dunta seemed to have 1 decent play a game, surrounded by a lot of missed tackles and being way out of position and penalties called against him.

For someone wanting to get paid, I thought he would step up his game this year, but he did not.

If we could get him to stay for 1-2 mil a year - fine, but he is definately not even worth half the $$ we paid him last year.

Someone will pay him - let them. Maybe we will play against him and Matt and AJ (or whoever Dunta is "covering") will have a field day.

WWJD
03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
It's funny how fans perceptions are so different.

Most NFL boards I browse at think he's a very hot FA. One of the top.

And most here are glad he's leaving.

Esoom
03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't understand the hatred for the guy. He was an average to above average CB who was a good guy. He made the mistake of going public with his contract negotiations, but it happens throughout the league. We hear of contract disputes dang near every day during the off-season.

There's a 99.9% chance he's gone, so why keep beating the guy down? He always seemed to leave it all out on the field on gameday. Y'all should be trashing a player named Amobi Okoye. Sure, he was decent this past season, but still not the player worthy of his draft.

My .02

This is exactly what I was trying to say. He hasn't done anything disruptive or detrimental to the team, except not playing as well as he used to. It's not like he was out there and not giving it 100%, because I believe he was giving it his all. He's just not as good anymore.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
This is exactly what I was trying to say. He hasn't done anything disruptive or detrimental to the team, except not playing as well as he used to. It's not like he was out there and not giving it 100%, because I believe he was giving it his all. He's just not as good anymore.

You're right, but hell, the dude had his knee destroyed and rebuilt not too long ago. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for the guy because there were many a time I was yelling at him through my TV.

The good thing is, our FO is obviously not as dumb as some make them out to be by letting him go. They noticed he wasn't worth his asking price anymore.

Mr teX
03-03-2010, 02:14 PM

rep your way..

HuttoKarl
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

What's the old saying?

"No matter how hot she is... somebody, somewhere is sick of her shit."

It's kinda like that with Pay Me Rick.

Texan_Bill
03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I also remember Carolina fans being extremely stoked when they signed HWSRN, too.

gary
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I do not think there would be any qestion pre injury he would have gotten a healthy contract in 07 he was not just a starting CB I'd say he was one of best in the league. There was not any doubt at the time he was the number one CB on the team. I am not saying he was the greatest CB ever but he sure was the best ever in the history of the fanchise fans foregett the Texans were probably on their way to having yet another Probowler on their roster before he went down it is just the truth. I mean right now if Dunte had not gotten hurt Texans fans just might be talking about AJ, OD, Matt and the list goes on Dunte included as All Stars I am just being real here we have to remember at the time there really was not a shutdown corner in the NFL and Dunte used to be one of the closest things to a shutdown corner around the league. There is only one true shutdown CB in the league today his name is Reevis. When I think about the possible All Stars the Texans more than likely would have haven had 07 form Dunte been on the field today along with a healthy OD I sort of cringe a little bit. An 07 DRob is a keeper for sure IMO. The D would be better off right now and with a healthy DD who would have been in his prime right now no one knows how much further along this team would be if it were not for the injury bug. DD was ment to be the franchise RB and the first 1,000 plus yard rusher for the Texans and then bam he is done so you just never know. I will say he gave the Texans his all but the whole skipping training camp thing and writing on his shoes just kind of got my goat as is the case with most Texans fans. He knows deep down he is not worth the cash he was once worth anymore but since football is all he has, why not? I don't blame him afterall just like all those who work he does have a retirement to plan for and we still might think he's an asshole while doing do so and that is fine to each his own but the real shame of all of this is the 07 injury IMO, because if not for that he'd still be here and the fans would still love him. I respect his play on the field and the fact that at one point and time we was the vocal leader of the team both on and off the field.

2slik4u
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM
As if all of us have not exhausted all of our time on Dunta, here is an article on this situation from yet another perspective.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aklz1dp6UgGTt6Ho.A5Ah9tDubYF?slug=pfw-20100302_texans_robinson_will_command_top_dollar&prov=pfw&type=lgns

nero THE zero
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
It should be interesting to see the pointed comments he makes when he signs with a new team.

gary
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM

And most here are glad he's leaving.Depending upon how many times they have seen him play recently they do not know for sure.

CloakNNNdagger
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I will put this gently and respectfully.............but, how many more threads do we need on Dunta to really beat a truly dead horse?:thinking:

ArlingtonTexan
03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I will put this gently and respectfully.............but, how many more threads do we need on Dunta to really beat a truly dead horse?:thinking:

It is at least one less now.

WWJD
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Depending upon how many times they have seen him play recently they do not know for sure.

Gary most of the boards I read are exactly like this one...ANY player that is available their fans think he should be a part of their team. How many threads are there about this FA coming here or this RB coming here?

Thorn
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Until people quit posting in them. I know I'm not.

Oh wait.......

m5kwatts
03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
When the Falcons were featured on Path to the draft on the NFL Network on Friday they mentioned that Dunta will be the 2nd highest paid cornerback in the league behind only Nnamdi Asomuagh...don't know if this was mentioned before on here but it definitely shocked me when I heard it again

gary
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I am just glad the birds overpaid him not the Texans.

The Pencil Neck
03-27-2010, 10:29 PM
We'll only know this was the right decision after we see how our secondary looks after the season begins. AND after we get to see how DR looks in someone else's secondary.

I like DR. I wish he would have wanted to stick around here. But he's not the 2nd best CB in the league and I don't think he was important enough to our defensive chemistry to pay that much for him.

But, like I said, the proof is in the pudding.

m5kwatts
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
We'll only know this was the right decision after we see how our secondary looks after the season begins. AND after we get to see how DR looks in someone else's secondary.

I like DR. I wish he would have wanted to stick around here. But he's not the 2nd best CB in the league and I don't think he was important enough to our defensive chemistry to pay that much for him.

But, like I said, the proof is in the pudding.

Even if he plays like an above average corner that contract isn't worth it. The Texans don't have a cap but they do have a budget and I'm glad his gargantuan contract isn't soaking up that percentage of the budget. We have that money to re-sign our own guys, sign our draft picks and for further free agent pursuits.

awtysst
03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
http://positivesharing.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/overpaid.jpg
signed,
Dunta Robinson

gary
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Even if he plays like an above average corner that contract isn't worth it. The Texans don't have a cap but they do have a budget and I'm glad his gargantuan contract isn't soaking up that percentage of the budget. We have that money to re-sign our own guys, sign our draft picks and for further free agent pursuits.Right, he will be done with his career by the time the next six seasons are over with or close to it. It was just time to move on for his sake and the sake of the team.

Wolf
03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Whether he is back to normal and whether the Falcons are going to get the player from last season:

“Oh no doubt. I am fully healthy. I still feel great. I didn’t have a training camp last season going into the 2009 season. I missed all of the OTA’s. I missed a lot of important things that help you lay that foundation in order to go through the season. As the season started, I started out kind of slow. Once I got back into my groove towards the middle of the season and I took it down the stretch I felt like I was the player that I was before my injury and I definitely feel that way now. I was playing at such a high level before I was injured that I knew what kind of work I had to do in order to get back to that level. I worked as hard as I possibly can and I am going to continue to work hard in order to become a great corner in the National Football League.”

Whether there was other teams in the mix:

“Well actually my agent rang off a few teams and I think Atlanta was the third team that he rang out of about five that he ran across and I told him to stop right there at Atlanta. I said that if Atlanta wants me in with the things that they are trying to do with the free agent moves they have made in the past years, I know that this is a team that wants to win. If I could go home and play for the hometown team and get that opportunity, I definitely would love to make that happen. There were a few teams in the mix but this was definitely my first option.”

What he was doing that night when the free agency period started:

“I was prepared to pack my bags that morning and get up and go at whatever time any team needs me to come in. I remember sitting there, twelve o’clock came and my phone hadn’t rang. 12:05 came and every few minutes I turned the ringer up as loud as I could. Every few minutes I am looking down at my phone like, man why isn’t my phone ringing? It was like being drafted all over again. Then at about 12:15, between 12:15 and 12:20 my phone rang and it was my agent and he was like, OK here is the deal. This team wants you to come in, this team wants you to come in, the Atlanta Falcons want you to come in. Stop right there. I don’t care who else you are about to name. This is a team, this is an organization that wants to win. They are doing everything that they can to win football games. I definitely would love to take that visit and hopefully not take any more visits after that and it all worked out.”

What it is like to get “wined and dined” by Arthur Blank:

“When I went to the airport, we went to the airport that I go to in Houston, Texas, but we didn’t go through the regular entrance. I was like, ok where are we going? They were like, no no. ..So I am telling the limo driver that you are supposed to go this way and he was like, we are going to the private landing strip. I didn’t even know that this airport had a private landing strip. We get there and this big, private jet is waiting with Arthur Blank’s private jet and it was like, wow! I was sold from that point on. For somebody to lay it all out there like he did, I knew that they wanted me here and I knew that if somebody wanted me that definitely wanted to be a part of that organization. Wow is he a great salesman!”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2010/03/10/the-atlanta-falcons-add-another-piece-to-the-puzzle/

:worldpeace:

gary
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
By the way Dunte you NEVER played up to your 2007 form at any time last season and I love the comments.

CloakNNNdagger
03-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I was playing at such a high level before I was injured

He must have still been high when he made that statement.

Texan_Bill
03-28-2010, 04:48 PM

:lol:

gary
03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
He must have still been high when he made that statement.Fans made more out of him than he was even before the injury IMO.

gary
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I know he is happy about pot maybe becoming legal but that was only in CA and it has not even passed there yet either so he should slow his role before he gets too high and convinced that pot has already become legal. Damn.

Wolf
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM

:lol:
too funny CnD

too bad I don't know how to photoshop LOL
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005Q3V0.jpg

and I didn't realize that it was week 3 against the Jags was when he got his only FF of the year.

badboy
03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Dunta who? How about that cornerback for the Texans Glover Quin? Hoorah!

Rey
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I would have liked for the Texans to franchise Dunta and then let him walk the yr. after, but his departure is not going to make or break our defense...

I think that if they retained Dunta we could have still taken a corner back in the 2nd or 3rd...That would have only made our secondary that much stronger, plus when he walked the next yr. we would have had a fairly experienced crew already in place...We would have known more about Quinn + the rookie we would have hypothetically taken would have a a whole yr under their belt...In such an important yr. I would think that the team could use all the help they can find...

But as I stated earlier, I looked at franchising Dunta as more of a luxury vs. a need...We'll be ok without him...

steelbtexan
03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I can understand why Dunta was so loved by the fans. He did a decent job of coverage, and when he was healthy, he shut the run down to his side.

After his injury, playing with the franchise tag, I think it was difficult to evaluate his future worth to this franchise. Had we signed him to a multi year deal, maybe he would have given us 120% like he did before the injury, who knows....

I'm a fan of Reeves & Quinn, but I believe Dunta, Reeves, & Quinn might have been the combination to lock up our secondary for years.

I'm fine with Dunta going... but if he plays in Atlanta the way he's played for us in the past, I'm going to kick myself in the rump... as I believe the Texans will as well.

Even if we replace him with someone in the draft, that would be one pick we could have used somewhere else.

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I can understand why Dunta was so loved by the fans. He did a decent job of coverage, and when he was healthy, he shut the run down to his side.

After his injury, playing with the franchise tag, I think it was difficult to evaluate his future worth to this franchise. Had we signed him to a multi year deal, maybe he would have given us 120% like he did before the injury, who knows....

I'm a fan of Reeves & Quinn, but I believe Dunta, Reeves, & Quinn might have been the combination to lock up our secondary for years.

I'm fine with Dunta going... but if he plays in Atlanta the way he's played for us in the past, I'm going to kick myself in the rump... as I believe the Texans will as well.

Even if we replace him with someone in the draft, that would be one pick we could have used somewhere else.

I would have to question the wisdom of really wanting someone like this on our team, especially during a time when he was actually offered 120% money while showing 50% performance.

gary
04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Dunte will not ever be the same so do not worry about that.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 10:27 PM
I would have to question the wisdom of really wanting someone like this on our team, especially during a time when he was actually offered 120% money while showing 50% performance.

The injury he suffered in '07 was very close to being career ending.

The franchise tag was less than half the money we guaranteed him, he knows the year after, we will either franchise him again, or he'll get his long term deal with twice the guaranteed money.

But not a chance of any of that, if he gets hurt again.

Give Schaub, OD, Demeco, Cushing, you name it, a one year deal, & I guarantee they won't stick their nose in it the way Dunta used to. Remember, he was a corner that played like a SS. When he brought the wood, he brought a load.

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
The injury he suffered in '07 was very close to being career ending.

The franchise tag was less than half the money we guaranteed him, he knows the year after, we will either franchise him again, or he'll get his long term deal with twice the guaranteed money.

But not a chance of any of that, if he gets hurt again.

Give Schaub, OD, Demeco, Cushing, you name it, a one year deal, & I guarantee they won't stick their nose in it the way Dunta used to. Remember, he was a corner that played like a SS. When he brought the wood, he brought a load.

I was referring to the guaranteed 23 million dollar contract he turned down.
As it turns out, his Falcon contract only guarantees 25.5 million of the 57 million.

krocket
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
It seems to me that we could have resigned him to something close to what he got from Atlanta, and then turned around and traded him for a draft choice or two. This is not the first player that has just been allowed to walk with 'honor' and immediately got snapped up by someone else. It seems to be McNair's MO since the beginning. We are at the point where players that don't fit into our organization for whatever reason should be thought of as an asset not to be written off but sold off.

I don't mind seeing DRob1 go, but I do object to the empty bag we got for him.

awtysst
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I was referring to the guaranteed 23 million dollar contract he turned down.
As it turns out, his Falcon contract only guarantees 25.5 million of the 57 million.

Yeah, but now he is currently the #2 payed CB in the league behind Asomugha. Clearly when Revis redoes his contract he will probably be #1, but DR is not even in the top 15 for CBs in the league.

In no specific order:
Revis, Asomugha, Champ Bailey, Leon Hall, DRC, Brandon Flowers, Jonathan Joseph, Woodson, Winfield, Greer, Thomas, Williams, Foxworth, Brown, and Bodden are all better than DR IMHO. To pay him #2 money when he is not even in the top 15(perhaps not even top 20) is a poor financial decision. In a league with a Salary Cap, finances are important to consider.

awtysst
04-04-2010, 01:09 PM
It seems to me that we could have resigned him to something close to what he got from Atlanta, and then turned around and traded him for a draft choice or two. This is not the first player that has just been allowed to walk with 'honor' and immediately got snapped up by someone else. It seems to be McNair's MO since the beginning. We are at the point where players that don't fit into our organization for whatever reason should be thought of as an asset not to be written off but sold off.

I don't mind seeing DRob1 go, but I do object to the empty bag we got for him.

1. We would need to have a deal in place BEFORE we did that. Could we talk to another team about a player we do not actually have under contract? I don't know.

2. What if the other team changes their mind and does not wish to trade for him? Now you are stuck with a HUGE contract on a player you do not even want!

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
1. We would need to have a deal in place BEFORE we did that. Could we talk to another team about a player we do not actually have under contract? I don't know.

2. What if the other team changes their mind and does not wish to trade for him? Now you are stuck with a HUGE contract on a player you do not even want!

Quite right. Either way, I'm not one that laments his exit. I believe we will be surprised how little we will miss him this season. His "recovery" performance is very much in question. I would much rather take a chance on developing our present talent with a probable additional piece of the puzzle coming from the draft or free agency........and let Atlanta worry about the financial committment to a player that has so many questions.

awtysst
04-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Quite right. Either way, I'm not one that laments his exit. I believe we will be surprised how little we will miss him this season. His "recovery" performance is very much in question. I would much rather take a chance on developing our present talent with a probable additional piece of the puzzle coming from the draft or free agency........and let Atlanta worry about the financial committment to a player that has so many questions.

Agreed. I think ATL will be pretty disappointed in what they paid for. I think they were thinking they were getting a premier shutdown corner for 2nd highest CB $ and I don't think that's what he is. I think there may be a rude awakening coming to the Falcons this season.

b0ng
04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
He turned down 20 mil. Dunte wasn't a top 10 corner anyway but it's ashame the Texans are to cheap to keep it's GOOD players. looks like the will let D Ryans and K Walter walk and try to replace them with draft picks. Bob McNugget is an moron and until you stop paying for garbage they will continue to put a pathetic product on the field!

Post of the year. So rarely do you get to see somebody proven so wrong so quickly.

El Tejano
04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Here is what I think about Dunta leaving:

TexCanada
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDziUGERuhg

NitroGSXR
04-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I met Dunta Robinson and chatted with him for a few minutes last Saturday...

I have no doubt he is going to miss Houston. He was sad to go. What a wonderfully decent human being. I'm going to miss him...

gary
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
He would have signed for the money he is worth if he wanted to stay in Houston.

PHAROAH
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Bad move we have no replacement and we have other needs as well so i think that it was a bad move to let your best cover guy and leave and you have no replacement in place and you failed to bring in a guy with experience. Sounds like a guy who will get beat a lot this season as he learn the ropes and we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL smart move Smith.

Wolf
04-21-2010, 06:19 PM
http://images.townnews.com/morningjournal.com/content/articles/2009/11/30/sports/doc4b135cb6de4da483846732.jpg

kiwitexansfan
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Bad move we have no replacement and we have other needs as well so i think that it was a bad move to let your best cover guy and leave and you have no replacement in place and you failed to bring in a guy with experience. Sounds like a guy who will get beat a lot this season as he learn the ropes and we have the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL smart move Smith.

Sorry you lost me when you said best cover guy.

Locker room leader I can buy, great run support defender I'll accept but best cover guy I can't stomach.

gary
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
The Texans will get their CB I am not worried.

Goatcheese
04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
The Texans will get their CB I am not worried.

Like they got their RB last year? An UDFA that didn't see the field until the final 2 games.

infantrycak
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Like they got their RB last year? An UDFA that didn't see the field until the final 2 games.

Had their #1 RB left before the draft last year?

Goatcheese
04-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Had their #1 RB left before the draft last year?

No, but everyone, their brother, their dog, their best friend, their best friend's dog, and their cousin Sal agreed the Texans needed a RB last year; preferably in the first 4 rounds.

thunderkyss
04-21-2010, 09:29 PM
No, but everyone, their brother, their dog, their best friend, their best friend's dog, and their cousin Sal agreed the Texans needed a RB last year; preferably in the first 4 rounds.

Regardless, Arian Foster's absence from game time was more about Kubiak feeling pressure, than Foster not being ready. He was playing it safe, and that backfired on him, several times.

Carr Bombed
04-21-2010, 09:34 PM

Everybody thought they needed a BACKUP RB last year. Most people were high on Shonn Greene as were the Texans and the Jets traded up to get him. Then everybody was upset when they didn't draft Rashad Jennings and he didn't get drafted until the 7th round. So I don't see where everybody was deadlocked on getting a guy in the first 4 rounds.

Let's not be a revisionist historian here. Most people were pretty sold on Slaton anchoring that position and after the year he just had you can't really blame anybody. RB wasn't the need it is this year and last year it wasn't even remotely comparable to the need that CB is this year.

Texan_Bill
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Forgive me, but I haven't kept a close eye on this thread, because I'm of the opinion: Dunta who? That boat has sailed. My question is, how did this turn into a running back thread??? :thinking:

Carr Bombed
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM

LMAO, Calling Dunta their "best cover guy" is like Browns fans being mad at their FO because they let their "best QB" go this offseason. :rolleyes:

You don't make a "broke down, never made it back from injury CB" one of the top paid corners in the freaking league. That's just stupid.

People forget Dunta had his best season in the NFL as a rookie and act like another one can't come in here and play well. With the way Dunta played last season it's not like they got big shoes to fill LOL. Dunta is NOT irreplaceable

infantrycak
04-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Sure everyone projected someone to come help out Slaton. That's a little different than replace a starter. Guess by saying 1st 4 rounds you sufficiently hedged but fact is folks don't plan on getting starters that low and the consensus was 3rd or lower - Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60094&highlight=draft)

Goatcheese
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Sure everyone projected someone to come help out Slaton. That's a little different than replace a starter. Guess by saying 1st 4 rounds you sufficiently hedged but fact is folks don't plan on getting starters that low and the consensus was 3rd or lower - Link (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60094&highlight=draft)

Most of the talk(even from the front office/coaches) before the draft was about getting another guy in here who could start if(when) Slaton went down. So we were looking for a starting caliber RB, not just a spell back to take the pressure off.

Texan_Bill
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Forgive me, but I haven't kept a close eye on this thread, because I'm of the opinion: Dunta who? That boat has sailed. My question is, how did this turn into a running back thread??? :thinking:

:foottap: Anyone??

JB
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
:foottap: Anyone??

Goatcheese did it!

m5kwatts
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Does anyone else wish we franchised Dunta so we could for sure take an RB in the 1st tomorrow and then DT for sure in the 2nd round? Just sayin...

Carr Bombed
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Most of the talk(even from the front office/coaches) before the draft was about getting another guy in here who could start if(when) Slaton went down. So we were looking for a starting caliber RB, not just a spell back to take the pressure off.

Quality backups are players who can take pressure off the starter and be a pinch starter. You don't have to take those guys in the top 4 rounds. This team had bigger needs last season.

LBer was a bigger need. Some people thought safety was the biggest need on the team (remember this was before Pollard)

Center/OG was a bigger need and I remember people also wanting to take a corner last year, because alot of people weren't high on Reeves and nobody knew what would happen with Dunta.

Again, RB was not the need that you're trying to make it seem last year. Slaton was one of the top RBs in the AFC during his rookie season and this team had much bigger holes then spending a top 4 pick on a RB going into the draft.

I remember some people were high on Greene and Coffee and I think the Texans were high on them too.....but they were drafted before a spot where Houston was targeting them. Who after those players did you really remember fans screaming about that got drafted in the top 4 rounds?

TheRealJoker
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
The closer we get to the draft the more I wish we would've snagged Bodden from the Pats :(

gary
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
The Colts played in the SB with rookie CB's. Dunted wanted a large contract he does not deserve and just have his boxers in bundle if the Texans franchised taged him once again. A sign and trade deal might have been better but I just do not think allowing him to walk is the end of the world. What do I know?