PDA

View Full Version : Julius Peppers a free agent

bckey
02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Carolina has anounced that they will not franchise Peppers this year thus making him a free agent March 5. Should the Texans look at him or just rule him out because of the high price he will demand? Thoughts. It sure would be awesome to see him on the end opposite Mario.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4939245&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

gary
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Him and Mario would be deadly but I know it is not going to happen though.

Thorn
02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
If we are going to spend that kind of money, we need to spend it on a DT or a CB or safety. While the DE position across from Mario could use some improvement, it's not near the need we have on the interior D Line or the defensive backfield.

bckey
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
The Texans could look at moving Antonio Smith inside permanently and still look at drafting a guy like Dan Williams in the 1st. Just thinking. I know it would be a super long shot for the Texans to sign a guy like Peppers but I still like to hear what kind of ideas you guys have.

Thorn
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
One things for sure, having him on the other side of the line from Mario would be a dream. I just don't think it will happen when there are so many other needs at this time.

Stranger things have happened though.

Wolf
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
hell didn't the colts have 2 rookie CB's on their roster while they had those two guys as DE's

just saying to say LOL

gary
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
The Texans could look at moving Antonio Smith inside permanently and still look at drafting a guy like Dan Williams in the 1st. Just thinking. I know it would be a super long shot for the Texans to sign a guy like Peppers but I still like to hear what kind of ideas you guys have.DT should be upgraded through the draft while I have not given up on Amobi just yet I will if he does not play better next season. Here is the problem with him though he was drafted very young and has just reached the age where he should just be coming out of school him being drafted as early as he was and give such a large contract was a huge mistake by the Texans before he even proved he had game in the first place. I feel for him because he is vey kind and has tons of brains in his head but every NFL fan knows the NFL is only about on the field preformence and that is all. I am glad the NFL has now placed a cap on rookie contracts it should have been done a long time ago to help try and prevent rookies from signing those huge contracts only turning out to be a big time bust. It was really done to help the retirment fund for retired players but it should kill two birds with one stone.
I fan of having Smith play on the inside of the line but also drafting another DT although not in the early rounds and a little less heavy contract. As for Peppers I would love to have him and Mario coming off those eges but he is thirty years old and he probably wants one last large pay day so you'd have to very careful with him contract wise so I am sure that will draw him away from any team with that mind set leaving the Texans and other teams having to pick up as much talent as they can via the draft and besides I highly doubt Bob would pay Peppers his due anyway because that is just not the way he rolls.

Texan4Ever
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
The Texans could look at moving Antonio Smith inside permanently and still look at drafting a guy like Dan Williams in the 1st. Just thinking. I know it would be a super long shot for the Texans to sign a guy like Peppers but I still like to hear what kind of ideas you guys have.

I think that might work out (moving Smith inside) actually, now that you mention it, I wonder if Mario Williams can play a little DT here and there. He has the size 6'6" 295 and gets a good punch on linemen.

Anyways, moving Smith to DT and then getting Peppers would make Peyton Manning piss in his pants. :cutthroat:

TimeKiller
02-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't even think about it. Don't even act like it. It'll never happen and you know it.

But how cool would that be? Mario Okoye Smith Peppers? Daaaaaannnng....Move Mario inside you say? Barwin Mario Smith Peppers....Double Daaaannnngg....

The front 7 would be pretty awesome.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
The counterpoint to the Julius Peppers bandwagon:

“I wouldn’t touch him, for that money and what he gives you,’’ said an ex-Panthers personnel man. “On the field, he’s a freak athletically, but it’s whether he shows up or not. He’ll go two and three games and do nothing but take up space. Then he’ll have two sacks, a forced fumble, a pick, and change the game. And that’s the danger. He can mesmerize you, but it’s not consistent.’’

“He could end up costing some personnel guy his job,’’ said an AFC scout with extensive experience evaluating Peppers. “I’m terrified of him. In my heart of hearts, I believe that if you pay this guy, I don’t think you’ll see a double-digit sack [season] again the rest of his career.’’ Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2010/02/21/free_agent_prize_peppered_with_potential_pitfalls/?page=full)

I'm just not sure this is the guy you drop into a young, up and coming defense. The productivity appears inconsistent, and when you're talking about bringing in veteran leadership to show the younger guys how to win, this clearly isn't the attitude and philosophy your trying to encourage. Besides, there's already a knock on Mario for not playing hard enough every play - I don't think you want to do anything that might reinforce that tendency.

gary
02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
The counterpoint to the Julius Peppers bandwagon:

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2010/02/21/free_agent_prize_peppered_with_potential_pitfalls/?page=full)

I'm just not sure this is the guy you drop into a young, up and coming defense. The productivity appears inconsistent, and when you're talking about bringing in veteran leadership to show the younger guys how to win, this clearly isn't the attitude and philosophy your trying to encourage. Besides, there's already a knock on Mario for now playing hard enough every play - I don't think you want to do anything that might reinforce that tendency.
Nice read. I am not so sure sure anymore.

Texecutioner
02-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Go ahead and end this dream now. The Texans would never go after a high dollar free agent like Peppers.

Section516
02-25-2010, 08:21 AM
And I'm glad they won't. You want to be the Redskins? If he was the very last piece..maybe. Not with so many holes, no with so much downside.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Go ahead and end this dream now. The Texans would never go after a high dollar free agent like Peppers.

And you would want them too?

If second honeymoon was our GM, Peppers would be offered a 2 year $100 million contract with $65 of it guarranteed.

badboy
02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
If we are going to spend that kind of money, we need to spend it on a DT or a CB or safety. While the DE position across from Mario could use some improvement, it's not near the need we have on the interior D Line or the defensive backfield.The arguement I have heard is move Antonio SMith inside. I guess with Mario, Peppers and the LBs the DT would not have to gets sacks just tie up the RB and the OLine. Peppers would be tremendous addition at a reasonable price on a front loaded deal with not too much guaranteed.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2010, 08:47 AM
The arguement I have heard is move Antonio SMith inside. I guess with Mario, Peppers and the LBs the DT would not have to gets sacks just tie up the RB and the OLine. Peppers would be tremendous addition at a reasonable price on a front loaded deal with not too much guaranteed.

And that is exactly why he won't be coming here. The dude's looking to get paid the most in NFL history. Would we want to be the one's who do it? F--- no!

Not really directed at your post, badboy. Just piggy-backin

Hervoyel
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
If we do nothing about our DT's inability to collapse the pocket then signing Julius Peppers would merely mean that instead of one expensive and talented DE running right past the play we'd now have two of them doing it.

We have the tools at DE to make a big mess. We just can't get any disruption or penetration from the inside. Fix that and Mario & Co. will feast on opposing QB's all year long.

WWJD
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Julius will want to be compensated well for his services.

Funny how people think you can just move a DE into the middle and poof he's a great DT.

I don't think it works that way.

Thorn
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
If we do nothing about our DT's inability to collapse the pocket then signing Julius Peppers would merely mean that instead of one expensive and talented DE running right past the play we'd now have two of them doing it.

We have the tools at DE to make a big mess. We just can't get any disruption or penetration from the inside. Fix that and Mario & Co. will feast on opposing QB's all year long.

This is how I see it as well.

Texecutioner
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
And you would want them too?

If second honeymoon was our GM, Peppers would be offered a 2 year $100 million contract with $65 of it guarranteed.

When did I ever say that?? If this was a few years ago, hell yeah I would have wanted Peppers and wouldn't have minded the Texans to spend a lot for him. Not now though. He's shown to be just like Mario in the sense that he's not always motivated to play all out on every down. I don't have a problem at all with spending money on a top fee agent though if he's young enough at the right position and he's a highly motivated player that's worth it.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
When did I ever say that?? If this was a few years ago, hell yeah I would have wanted Peppers and wouldn't have minded the Texans to spend a lot for him. Not now though. He's shown to be just like Mario in the sense that he's not always motivated to play all out on every down. I don't have a problem at all with spending money on a top fee agent though if he's young enough at the right position and he's a highly motivated player that's worth it.

My first comment ended with a question mark, making it a question. If it were a period it would've made it a statement.

bah007
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

Funny how people think you can just move a DE into the middle and poof he's a great DT.

It's just like how every offseason we have the threads about moving subpar CBs over to FS where they will suddenly become awesome.

bckey
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM

The Texans moved Antonio Smith inside quite often last season. So there is no poof he's a dt thinking. He is pretty good inside.

gary
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
This just in Jerry Jones has opened up the pocket books buying Peppers a house, car, pimps but there is one rule they have to be shared with him and signed him to an 100 million dollar contract. Haha.

bah007
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
The Texans moved Antonio Smith inside quite often last season. So there is no poof he's a dt thinking. He is pretty good inside.

On passing downs. How many times was he inside on 3rd and 1?

If you're moving a guy from DE to DT you better make sure he can handle the position on all three downs, not just 3rd and long.

theanswer000
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Dream on

Texans_Chick
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
What will be particularly weird about Peppers going to another team is that his agent is VERY inexperienced.

Carl Carey is a personal friend of Peppers, his academic adviser from UNC, and has been his personal and professional adviser for his football career. Originally, Peppers had experienced agent Marvin Demhoff as his agent.

Carey only has Peppers as a client, and has only been a certified agent since 2005.

It is one thing to restructure contracts with your current team. Or (questionably) advice a player going through the franchise process. It will be a completely different situation when teams start calling and how the agent will deals with that.

WWJD
03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
My guess would be he'll be a Redskin.

badboy
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
What will be particularly weird about Peppers going to another team is that his agent is VERY inexperienced.

Carl Carey is a personal friend of Peppers, his academic adviser from UNC, and has been his personal and professional adviser for his football career. Originally, Peppers had experienced agent Marvin Demhoff as his agent.

Carey only has Peppers as a client, and has only been a certified agent since 2005.

It is one thing to restructure contracts with your current team. Or (questionably) advice a player going through the franchise process. It will be a completely different situation when teams start calling and how the agent will deals with that.Being an agent is simple. You tell Peppers not to sign until the deal offers the agent enough to set him up for life then you nod knowingly at Julius and say "that's the right offer!"

Dread-Head
03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Well if he decides he's done with the NFL maybe he can FINALLY realize his dream of going to Medical School.

Blake
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
My guess would be he'll be a Redskin.

I say Dallas.

ChampionTexan
03-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I say Dallas.

Nope - as a final 8 teams in the '09 playoffs, Dallas can't sign any FA's (other than their own, and "released" free agents), unless they lose one of equal or greater value, and that's obviously not gonna happen.