PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Sharper on the Trading Block

Pages : [1] 2

texasguy346
03-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Anyone else watching Fox 26 Sports? Berman mentioned that the Texans gave Jamie Sharper permission to seek a trade. OMG Say it ain't so!

AndreJ
03-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Anyone else watching Fox 26 Sports? Berman mentioned that the Texans gave Jamie Sharper permission to seek a trade. OMG Say it ain't so!

If it is, you can guarantee we'll be getting something real nice in return.

D-ReK
03-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Fox 26 just reported that after the Texans signed Greenwood, they told Sharper and Foreman they could go ahead and seek trades...

I think Greenwood will be a decent ILB, definitely better than Foreman, but nowhere near Sharper's level...

Discuss...

Reddevil63
03-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Didnt see that one coming...

D-ReK
03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Damn you for beating me to it...

*Shakes Fist And Waits For Threads To Be Merged*

texasguy346

You and me both. I literally jumped off the couch when I heard it.

texan279
To Foreman adios, but why Sharper???????????????? Are they trying to make cap room or go at the ILB spot from scratch? Maybe go after DJ in the draft?

infantrycak
03-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Well that would explain signing Greenwood and telling Wong he is moving to the inside.

Reddevil63
03-03-2005, 10:57 PM
There has to be someone out there they have their eyes on. Whether that be someone yet to be drafted or a free agent.

texasguy346
03-03-2005, 10:58 PM
I hope this is just posturing by the Texans so that they can restructure Sharpers deal. I'm fine with Foreman getting the heave-ho, but not Sharper.

Reddevil63
03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
There is not much we would get in return that would make me happy about involving Sharper in a trade. A first round pick or Ray Lewis are about all that wouldnt make me unhappy with the Texans for the first time in there existence.

texansfan88
03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
well, I can definately say I'm not happy nor amused by this report...the only good that would come out of it is a first round pick...remember that sharper is in the final year of his contract and if it were to happen, it might not hurt

beerlover
03-03-2005, 11:01 PM
wow is that true D-Rek? very interesting......what a day in Houston Texans Football. there is no offseason in the NFL :cool:

D-ReK
03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
There has to be someone out there they have their eyes on. Whether that be someone yet to be drafted or a free agent.

Bell, Hartwell, or Crowder are the only viable options I can come up with...

If we do trade him and get anything less than a high 2nd rounder, we got jipped...

Corrosion
If Sharper AND Foreman are GONE .... i would assume the Texans have someone in mind to replace that depth .
Foreman i dont think is anything more than a back up type player at best .
Sharper on the other hand has been the heart of the D since their first game .
Has Pro-Bowl type talent . Removing that from the defence makes a strength a glaring weakness unless you replace talent with talent .
Only one player comes to mind via draft or free-agent and thats DJ. If this report is true i expect the Texans to trade up . The other free agents at the position are either old or will want too much cash .
This report could be false but who knows ?

texan279
If the Cowboys are switching to the 3-4, they could maybe use Sharper but I can't think of anything the Cowboys have that we would want besides picks off the top of my head...

Sarg01
Sharper? I don't see how we could do that without trading up for DJ ... but then again, maybe that's part of the trade condition.

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2005, 11:03 PM
:thumbup Its always better to get rid of a player a year early rather than a year late .

texasguy346
03-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I really don't want to see Sharper go. There's not much we could get in return for him that would leave me feeling we got a good deal. He's the heart and soul of our defense.

Sarg01
03-03-2005, 11:04 PM
As I noted in the other thread, the only way I can see the Texans letting Sharper go would be if they could guarantee landing a DJ.

texan279
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
How could anyone guarantee us DJ? We would have to get the number 1 pick in the draft to be guaranteed DJ.

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
:woot Sharpers in the last year of his contract . The Texans are not Super Bowl contenders so their not playing for 1 year . If they got a good deal why not trade him before he becomes a free agent .

F-minus67
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
why, he is the best defensive player we have and has been since this team was created.

texanfan2002114
03-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Sharper and the Texans are both optimistic that they can rework his contract but if not then they will trade him (thats what Berman said), but don't expect a trade with Sharper involved.

Forman is gone, but Sharper will rework his contract.

Honoring Earl 34
03-03-2005, 11:20 PM
:woot Sentimental value is worth zero dollars . His best days may be behind him . So we overpay next year to keep him a Texan or get a 2nd rd pick this year .

AndreJ
03-03-2005, 11:22 PM
:woot Sharpers in the last year of his contract . The Texans are not Super Bowl contenders so their not playing for 1 year . If they got a good deal why not trade him before he becomes a free agent .

I like the idea, i believe we could get something very good out of this. What i don't know, but we obviously have something big in store for us and we are long over do for it.

Vinny
03-03-2005, 11:22 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=87413&postcount=35

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=87423&postcount=43

Reddevil63
03-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Vinny ---> :slap: <--- Me

lol point taken

Texans Pride
03-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Anyone remember during the season when Sharper spoke out against the team. . . Stating "Something" needed to change. Anyone think he might be fed up with the Texans style and wants to move on while he feels he still has the chance of being successful?

infantrycak
03-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Behind the scenes what this may mean is the Texans are contrary to their m.o. already working on an extension for Sharper and have made him an offer he is not ready to sign. Rather than let him hit FA next year they have let him see what his value is this year in the hopes that it encourages a deal getting done rather than actually expecting a trade. Could be a good cap move to get Sharper's last NFL contract prorating now rather than a year down the road.

Grid
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
I think this is a win-win situation for us.

what could happen:

Sharper stays and reworks his contract.. giving us more cap room and getting him signed up and ready to retire here in houston.

Sharper gets traded for a player or two that we could really use.. like Olinemen or Dlinemen. We grab another ILB in the draft.. Thurman in the Second.. or Davis in the first and convert him to ILB.

Sharper gets traded for a first rounder and we trade up to grab Derrick Johnson

Sharper gets no offer.. we do not rework the contract.. and nothing changes. But as Infantry says.. he gets an idea of what he can get when he becomes an FA and it makes negotiations easier down the road.

smart move by Casserly.

clandestin
03-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Sharper, Wand, and our 2nd for.............Orlando Pace!!!! :thumbdown ? :thumbup ?

Grid
03-03-2005, 11:51 PM
:thumbdown

our old, expensive ILB and our young promising tackle for an old expensive tackle.

no thank you.

Vinny
03-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Sharper's contract will be a big hit for us next year. That LB crew has underachieved greatly last year. Instead of patching it, we might be cleaning house since there seems to be oodles of tweeners in the draft.Interesting thought. Drafting two linebackers early. Haven't considered it but in lieu of this news I'm gonna put my Einstein Jr thinking cap on. This may be the mock I spew out soon. Ought to draw out tons of objections across the board. You my man, iz brilliant.

SESupergenius
03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Vinny how can you justify that you think Walker might have had only a down year and think he will bounce back and yet you think Sharper is declining when he has his down year? Sharpers play wasn't spectacular last year but it was far from bad. Our course a veteran like Sharper is going to have a big salary in his last year, not too many veterans don't. They just resign and stretch out the rest of the contract. He's 1 season removed from a great year and then all of the sudden he's trash. I don't get that.

Oh be careful what you wish for.

Vinny
03-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I did. Told ya it would bring objections.

Grid
03-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Thomas Davis and Odell Thurman. That would be interesting.. not as interesting as getting DJ though :).

Vinny
03-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Vinny how can you justify that you think Walker might have had only a down year and think he will bounce back and yet you think Sharper is declining when he has his down year? Sharpers play wasn't spectacular last year but it was far from bad. Our course a veteran like Sharper is going to have a big salary in his last year, not too many veterans don't. They just resign and stretch out the rest of the contract. He's 1 season removed from a great year and then all of the sudden he's trash. I don't get that.

Oh be careful what you wish for.I'm not wishing for anything. Just idle speculation. Why do I think Walker will bounce back? Because talented two-gap tackles have pretty long careers and are effective deep into them. I think Walker has an ideal football temperament and is going to work hard and play with some pride next year. Apparently the entire Texan fan nation has written him completely off as a viable player. Count me out on that one. Sharper plays a position that has a different dynamic, and I thought he looked like a player that could be in decline. This is not the first time I have mentioned this. Not anything worth arguing over since its just some random, idle speculation. Take it fwiw only.

ps I never said Sharper "all of a sudden was trash". that was you stating that I implied it. I clearly state that I think he is still a good LB.

ThaShark316
03-04-2005, 12:14 AM
My advice to the Texans...trade them somewhere where they can't kill us but once every 4 years.

I agree with Vinny tho...Sharper wasn't as good as I seen him in 02/03. That being said, Sharper is somewhat the leader on defense, but we may be able to get some good for Sharper....but this may be something to make J-Sharp fix his current deal. :thumbup

Vinny
03-04-2005, 12:19 AM
you lost me :wacko:

I just dont get where I said that we need to draft 2 LBs. I dont even know that I mentioned the draft at all..... this escapes me Vin, mind explaining?You said "there seems to be oodles of tweeners in the draft".

I said, Interesting thought. Drafting two linebackers early. <That was my thought, that wasn't me doing an impression of you. ;) I was in agreement that there are "oodles of tweeners", so that made me think of an interesting posibility...drafting two linebackers early.

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I am kinda split down the middle on this. I'd love to see Sharper back because I dont think he skills have dimished like some say...but on the other picking up Johnson, an extreme talent, is making me want the season to start NOW!

TEXANS84
03-04-2005, 12:28 AM
The only positive thing about seeing Sharper gone is:

ESPN.com also confirms that the Texans notified Kailee Wong before the signing that he would also be moved to inside linebacker, possibly freeing up the right outside linebacker position for Antwan Peek.

texansfan1974
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
the cards are talking about trading anquan boldin , sharper for boldin? :thumbup

Grid
03-04-2005, 12:41 AM
:thumbdown

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
I agree with Grid. I cannot see us losing Shaper without trying to get Johnson.

Also I may be alone on this...but I think if we give Carr enogh time in the pocket ( O-line upgrade) he could still utilize Gaffney.

Texans Pride
03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
the cards are talking about trading anquan boldin , sharper for boldin? :thumbup

I'm sorry, no thank you

Grid
03-04-2005, 12:49 AM
if we trade Sharper.. id like to see us pick up an Oline upgrade, a Dline upgrade, or a 1st round pick.

any of those three would be worthwhile in my book.

and when i say upgrade.. im talking about a talented YOUNG player that fits us and will be a starter for years.

I feel bad talking about what we can get for Sharper :(.. I love the guy.. but lets face it he is a big cap hit, and if he doesnt restructure, we are better off getting what we can for him now so that we have a better shot at replacing his talent down the road.

texansfan1974
03-04-2005, 12:55 AM
sharper will be wearing battle red and steel blue this season. so lets all quit worrying.

Texans Pride
03-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Has anone else heard anything or are we all just shooting stuff here!

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I am very optimistic about Greenwood and I could see him and DJ side by side for years to come...WHAT A TANDEM!

It will take some getting used, though, to see that Sharper isnt leading our defense. He has helped so much and when we are in the playoffs this year it just will not seem right without him.

SESupergenius
03-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Can we ever keep a unit together? :taz:

Texans Pride
03-04-2005, 01:11 AM
http://houstonprofootball.com/

At 6'0" and 238 pounds, it is believed that Greenwood would move to inside linebacker, joining Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, and maybe even pushing them out. According to a televised report on KRIV-TV, both Sharper and Foreman were notified that they would each be allowed to seek a trade and a new contract with another team if they could not reach modified deals with the Texans.

Jamie Sharper
Sharper, 30, is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.75 million and has a $6.125 million charge on the 2005 cap. If traded, the Texans would still reflect the remaining signing bonus amount of $1.375 million on the cap this year.

While general manager Charley Casserly confirmed that the team has room to keep all of its linebackers, the team is probably frustrated by an inability to strike an agreement with Sharper on a contract extension thus far. Complicating matters may be some emotional comments Sharper made regarding the coaching staff after a home loss to the Colts in December.

"Somebody has to show us the way," Sharper was quoted as saying in the Houston Chronicle. "There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

Foreman, 28, is entering the third year of his five-year contract this season. If traded, his signing bonus would accelerate, resulting in a dead cap charge of $1.32 million.

Texans Pride
03-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Anyone remember during the season when Sharper spoke out against the team. . . Stating "Something" needed to change. Anyone think he might be fed up with the Texans style and wants to move on while he feels he still has the chance of being successful?

I do, and what a great point you bring up. . . I found this on houstonprofootball.com

Complicating matters may be some emotional comments Sharper made regarding the coaching staff after a home loss to the Colts in December.

"Somebody has to show us the way," Sharper was quoted as saying in the Houston Chronicle. "There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

I love quoting myself :banana: (and the dancing banana)

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 01:18 AM
why dont we sign the dancing banana? lol

Texans Pride
03-04-2005, 01:20 AM

I LOVE THAT IDEA

Grid
03-04-2005, 01:22 AM
put him in as a olineman. he may not be able to stop anyone, but neither can our current linemen.. and at least banana can make them slip and fall.

(hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck)

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 01:25 AM
It MUST be getting late.lol

SESupergenius
03-04-2005, 01:33 AM
I just don't see why we spent that much money for that type of player. Where the heck was Kendral Bell and Hartwell in this equation? :thumbdown

Vinny
03-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Perhaps they wanted more of a coverage guy, Bell isn't the best guy in coverage. Hartwell may have been asking for the Moon. Who knows?

Grid
03-04-2005, 01:36 AM
or they may have both had personalities that dont fit our team. *shrug*.. Greenwood was obviously the guy that fit us best, otherwise we wouldnt have offered him such a good contract.

Like I said in the other thread.. we have plenty of time to evaluate him before the meat of the contract becomes a concern.

TMac48
03-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Possible Defensive lineup:

Dancing Bannana :banana: / Wong / Greenwood / Babin (Peek)

...I like it...

Rosusu
03-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Dancing banana reminds me too much of Matt Stevens, I dont want him.

TEXANS84
03-04-2005, 01:47 AM
From the Chronicle:

Sources said Thursday night that linebacker Jamie Sharper has been given permission to seek a trade, a move that would clear space at an overstocked position and rid the Texans of Sharper's $6.13 million salary-cap hit for 2005, the final year of Sharper's five-year contract the Texans acquired from Baltimore in the 2002 expansion draft.

Texans coach Dom Capers said Greenwood, who signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with a $7 million signing bonus, would play one of the two inside linebacker positions, but Capers had not decided if it would be on the strong side, where Jay Foreman has played the past three seasons, or the weak side, which has been occupied by Sharper.

There also has been speculation about a possible move inside for outside linebacker Kailee Wong, raising questions about the status of Foreman, who could be aimed toward the same path as Sharper.

But the Texans denied an Internet report that Wong has been told he'll be moved inside next season. Wong also said the report was inaccurate.

This much is certain: The Texans didn't give Greenwood, 26, a $7 million signing bonus to be a reserve, and he will start at one of the two inside positions.

"It gives us a lot more possibilities," Capers said of adding Greenwood, 6-0 and 238 pounds. "Every year we've been here, we've had more variations, more possibilities. Morlon's speed and athletic ability may give us a chance to do some things we couldn't do last year. Any time you have speed and quickness, you upgrade your chances to make plays on defense."

The Texans, who announced the re-signing of nose tackle Seth Payne on Thursday, have placed an emphasis on adding speed to their defense over the past two offseasons, acquiring players such as Antwan Peek, Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin. Speed and cover ability are said to be among Greenwood's biggest strengths. As for which position he plays, Greenwood said it didn't matter.

Full Story Link (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3067907)

Bold letters: *cough* ESPN *cough*

TMac48
03-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Dancing banana reminds me too much of Matt Stevens, I dont want him.
How can that be?? The Dancing Bannana Doesn't have all those cool tattoos!! (sarcasm)

keyfro
03-04-2005, 01:56 AM
all i'm going to say is this...if we trade foreman no big deal...if we trade sharper, a corner stone in this defense since we began, i will be pissed...i've tried to give capers and casserly every chance to prove that they know what they are doing but trading your best defensive player isn't it...i don't care if sharper made comments to the media that pissed capers off because towards the end of the season we were losing games we should have won due to his conservative play calling...greenwood starting in place of foreman great...put him next to wong and move sharper to the outside if it makes that much of a difference...either way sharper is our best defensive player maybe our best player period...i can't see us trading him...and if we do not just a 1st round pick will do it needs to be a top 10 pick in my mind with what he means to this team and this community

LBblitz
03-04-2005, 01:59 AM
did anybody get the dancing banana's results from the combine? just curious...it might be all hipe.lol

MikeMc
03-04-2005, 02:01 AM
Polk has been getting some love as the next ILB on the Texans, so maybe the angle is there. Have Polk & Greenwood at ILB, draft an ILB for the future.....save tons of $$$ by trading Sharper.

Plus, that "we need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games" crack may have been his ticket out. Nothing like challenging the Coach's ability to the press!!

Nip it in the bud!

TEXANS84
03-04-2005, 02:02 AM
I second that keyfro.

I don't know what's going on here. I personally wanted to see Foreman gone, and Wong move to the inside with Babin/Peek on the outside, Sharper staying inside. Now it seems like we are in some type of cluster here. I don't know what the Texans are planning...but I don't like it if involves getting rid of Sharper.
Jamie is a leader, and has been from day 1. He won a superbowl along side Ray Lewis and the stout Ravens defense. He knows the game...and if we lose him, I'm gonna be completely baffled.
BTW, I find all this stuff odd considering I sent my check to the Texans today for season tickets. They immediatley blew my payment.

MikeMc
03-04-2005, 02:06 AM
Let's keep Sharper's heavy contract much like we did Hakeem's, Biggio's & Bagwell's simply for "hometown" love.

Come on, this is a business, if you can get two for the price of one....you do it! Trade Sharper's talent and experience for two "younger" players that can help the team in the future.

I'm just suprised that the Texans resigned Payne. He better have one hell of a season...injury-free!!!!

keyfro
03-04-2005, 02:34 AM
you know even in business there has to be some loyality...how does this sound to the rest of the nfl if we are trading our best defensive player...a player that is respected around the league...his comments against capers were that of a competitive nature...not personal...now if he isn't wanting to re-sign his contract because he doesn't believe the team is going in the right direction that's one thing...but i still want him here...he's a leader...he is one of the few recognizable players on this team...and he's a fan favorite...i don't like the way this is going...on the otherside if you read the article from profootballweekley it simply stats that greenwood is displacing foreman and the lineup will look line wong greenwood sharper babin which i think would be awesome...but if sharper is traded it'll make me wonder about this team and where it's headed

Vinny
03-04-2005, 02:39 AM
The comments are speculation on the part of internet observers. I wouldn't read too much into them. Players with massive contracts that don't play up to them get moved all the time in the NFL. Why should Sharper be an exception?

MikeMc
03-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Well, what about the Randy Moss trade? You can't honestly say it is because he is a punk. TO is much worse than Moss, hell that "mooning" incident was WAY overblown....no one got the whole "poking fun at GB" part of it. It's not like he actually mooned people. More of a "respect" for those die-hard fans in GB:

The story goes like this, after a GB home victory, the fans around the visitors bus moon the opposing players.

back on topic....

Teams, more specifically GMs that take "loyalty" into consideration with making business decisions end up FIRED! No one should be so naive to think that just because a player has played and done a good job, he should be given the Golden Ticket. Look at how that backfire with the Rockets & Hakeem....or how it is backfiring with Biggio & Bagwell and the Astros. You end up with over-priced players past their prime.

Sharper has been with the team since inception...3 seasons...it is time to move on with new blood (via a sweet deal!).

Hell, Sharper played 5 seasons in Balt and only 3 in HOU, I think there is more loyalty for him in Balt than in HOU. Maybe he will go back to Balt.....they seem to need another LB with Hartwell leaving via FA!

jacquescas
03-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Obviously our linebacker corps wasn't producing like Capers wanted it too, even with Sharper in there we were not getting pressure or stoping the run. the 3-4 Defense is paramount to having talented linebackers.

Although Sharper is our most talented linebacker at the moment, we need to maybe make a change. The question now is what can we get for Sharper. I think the best we could do is maybe a second round pick from a team like the Chiefs who desperately need defensive players. But more likely it will be a 3rd round pick or so. In doing this our most heralded linebacker will be Greenwood and Babin. Lets hope Babin and Peek can step it up.

brickmantexanfan
03-04-2005, 06:04 AM
oh great and i just got my sharper jersey this christmas
:shocked

nunusguy
03-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Texans confirm they told Sharper to shop himself, but deny Wong moving inside.
On Greenwood, he says they " They told me more about myself than I even knew." They obviously intend for him to start at one of the inside positions.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3067907

Errant Hothy
03-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Everybody herre seems to love teh PAt's as teh model of how a front office should operate, right? How do you think Pats fans are feeling after they cut Troy Brown? Probaly the teams MVP, and a fan favorite?

Older players with big contracts get cut, re0worked ot trade all the time. Untill we hav e adefinitive report on a trade or something we're all just blowing smoke up each others you know whats.

JDizzle
03-04-2005, 08:55 AM
nevermind ........

texasguy346
03-04-2005, 08:57 AM
or they may have both had personalities that dont fit our team. *shrug*.. Greenwood was obviously the guy that fit us best, otherwise we wouldnt have offered him such a good contract.

I'm not so sure it was his personality. It might have been more of a who's the best value type of scenario. BTW I found this website for Morlon Greenwood after one of the local sports reports mentioned that Morlon Greenwood made a rap/reggae type of song while he was in Miami.

Morlon Greenwood (http://www.morlongreenwood.com/home.html)

James Allen anyone? :heh: j/k It definately doesn't seem that Greenwood is a low-profile type of guy, but from all accounts he's a quick learner and a team player. I just hope that we don't lose Sharper. I'd much rather see Greenwood and Sharper inside together.

JDizzle
03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Calm down guys! I wouldn't take that report too seriously, wait until after the draft.

nunusguy
03-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Even if Sharper has entered the downside of his career, he's still good. But
apparently the management doesn't think he's 6 mil (his cap # for '05 alone) good.
After you wade thru all the numbers for Greenwood, as was pointed out
most his compensation is deferred/back-end-loaded and his bonus money is all that's really vested. I had reservations, but it's beginning to sound like a descent move. The guys forte is speed, and that was what was missing most
from our LB play last year.

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
My first thought when I heard of a possible trade, was that maybe Sharper was asking for the trade. I can understand the Texans wanting to trade #55, but I don't understand the timing. Why trade your best defensive player when you finally have a legit shot at the playoffs next season. I could see if we had been to 3 or 4 playoffs, and now declining.

infantrycak
03-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I just don't see why we spent that much money for that type of player. Where the heck was Kendral Bell and Hartwell in this equation? :thumbdown

It may just be that both those players want even more money:

Thursday, the Chiefs entertained Jeremiah Trotter, who passed his physical, and even brought in Kendrell Bell. They previously had Ed Hartwell in for a visit but his contract demands seem quite high according to several teams $10 million to sign and $6 million average.

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3437464)

UberDork
03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm not nearly as upset as some of you. Sharper said at the beginning of the year that he needed to make more big plays. He has his share of big plays, but he does not perform to a 6 million a year contract. Sorry he just doesn't. This is his last year...We are on a five year plan right?...It is not like we have to trade him. If we don't get any good offers, we can keep him and most likely lose him next FA period. That should keep everyone happy...one more year...oh boy!!

Seriously, if we can upgrade the team with young talent that helps us get to the superbowl, why not do it.

nunusguy
03-04-2005, 09:20 AM
My first thought when I heard of a possible trade, was that maybe Sharper was asking for the trade. I can understand the Texans wanting to trade #55, but I don't understand the timing. Why trade your best defensive player when you finally have a legit shot at the playoffs next season. I could see if we had been to 3 or 4 playoffs, and now declining.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it could come in the form of them
approaching Walker to atleast restructure his contract. They gave Payne a new contract, but it was nothing like the numbers Walker got last year. This move with Sharper has got to get all the veterans attention 100% focused.

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Yea nunusguy, I can't understand why they would want to trade Sharper when they have been more than willing to hold on to all of thier other older players.

Honoring Earl 34
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
:violin I'm reading Sharper is the best player on our defense . I bet Sharper won't be the best this year .
LB is one of our teams deepest positions with alot of young players . Why break the bank if you have a younger player who needs playing time . When the Texans become a fixture in the playoffs Sharper will be a backup .
The 49ers in their glory days got rid of Montana and Lott . Then won another Super Bowl . Sharper is not even in the same sentence as Montana and Lott.

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
The 49ers in their glory days got rid of Montana and Lott . Then won another Super Bowl .Sharper is not even in the same sentence as Montana and Lott.

And the Texans are not even in the same sentence as the 49ers in thier glory days.

Honoring Earl 34
03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
:woot Good point so why over pay now .

V Man
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
If the Texans trade Sharper, and they are dening that they told Wong he was moving inside (which means they probably did indeed say that), and have resigned Polk as back-up. I wouldn't expect them to draft a LB that high unless they want the kid from Maryland to replace Wong. And if they get a good 1st round pick for Sharper look for them to draft Glenn's future replacement. :twocents:

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Smoke and mirrors, it's all smoke and mirrors.

TheOgre
03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Potential starters:
OLB's - Babin, Peek
ILB/OLB's - Wong
ILB's - Greenwood, Sharper, Foreman

I think Foreman is as good as gone (pure speculation). Babin will be our LOLB. Greenwood will take one of the two inside positions. That means we will have either Peek or Wong at ROLB and we will have either Sharper or Wong at the remaining ILB slot. So do we like:

OLB - Babin, Wong
ILB - Sharper, Greenwood
or
OLB - Babin, Peek
ILB - Wong, Greenwood

If it is the latter, we SHOULD try to trade Sharper. The guy was Pro Bowl quality in 2003. He was average at best in 2004. I think it is a bit presumptious to assume he is on the downside of his career just because he had an off year. Personally, I have been more disappointed in Kailee Wong. I'd like to see Wong cut/traded and see the following lineup:

OLB - Babin, Peek
ILB - Sharper, Greenwood

If Sharper isn't worth a damn, then don't resign him next year and bring in someone new to man his spot. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and still draft an ILB in one of the mid rounds.

Sarg01
03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I don't have an issue with a trade for Sharper in theory. The issue I do have is a hard time believing his trade value is enough for us to replace him. A high-2nd or better would certainly do the trick for me.

If we were having this discussion last year, he probably could have brought that sort of compensation. This year, though? I just don't see it. Failing to get the compensation necessary to acquire an immediate starter, I'd much rather see us draft a replacement and keep Sharper around for a year while the new guy works out the kinks. Sure his cap number is big, probably in excess of his production - but only for one year and we are in a cap position to handle it.

dalemurphy
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Sharper has been the best player on the defense for the first three years.

However, the best player on the defense the last 10 games of last season was Dunta Robinson, not Jamie Sharper... let's get that straight right now.

Sharper would certainly be missed. However, don't criticize the front office for exercising fiscal responsibility, especially when dealing with guys on the backside of their career. There is nothing disrespectful about a team allowing a player to seek a trade when he's in the last year of a contract. It's actually quite respectful. They've probably discussed with him their plans for next season and beyond, and, having been given that information, would like to go elsewhere.

JustBonee
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
They still love him in Baltimore ...

http://mb9.scout.com/fravensinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=27905.topic

Chance_C
03-04-2005, 11:22 AM
While I can't hardly imagine the Texans without Sharper, it is a business, and I agree with what dalemurphy said. Look at the Pats. They certainly don't mind letting go of their star players, and replacing them with young talent. And if we can get Jamie to restructure, that would be even better.

MojoX
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
you know even in business there has to be some loyality...how does this sound to the rest of the nfl if we are trading our best defensive player...a player that is respected around the league...his comments against capers were that of a competitive nature...not personal...now if he isn't wanting to re-sign his contract because he doesn't believe the team is going in the right direction that's one thing...but i still want him here...he's a leader...he is one of the few recognizable players on this team...and he's a fan favorite...i don't like the way this is going...on the otherside if you read the article from profootballweekley it simply stats that greenwood is displacing foreman and the lineup will look line wong greenwood sharper babin which i think would be awesome...but if sharper is traded it'll make me wonder about this team and where it's headed
All this wild-*** speculation and no one is stopping to think that maybe, if Sharper is traded, it is Sharper who wants out? The dude is a good player, but I don't know if he was a good leader. He has been critical of the team/coaches and has publicly vented his frustration at the course of the franchise before.

TheOgre
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I think we won't get a high pick for him. It would be more of a salary dump. I think we would get something like a 4th or 5th rounder for him, especially since he is in the last year of his contract. We might be able to get more if he agreed to a contract extension with his new team.

cadahnic
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM
In order to get DJ we have to trade up at least to the eight spot, or initiate a draft trade where we draft at 13 and draft who someone wants and trade them exclusively.

FILO_girl
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT JAMIE!!!!
He has been a rock since day 1, always there for the team. He is an awesome player and who cares if he has hit 30? He is GOOD and DEPENDABLE. Thanks a lot, I am now very bummed. Jamie is my fave TEXAN. I believe someone has to be whack to think of letting him go! :wacko:
What is his hit this year? 6mil and some change? HE IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!
I just don't understand this............... :shocked

Meloy
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
1. Sharper will be 31 yoa November 23, 2005 not 30. If he resigns for even 3 years, do we need a 33/34 yoa player last two years?
2. Lance Zerline on 610 this morning said 4th rounder in a trade most probable scenario although he thought Sharper worth more than a 4th. Is that better than losing him F/A?
3. Even if we want to trade up for Johnson, we have no idea where he will be picked as I have seen every pick from one to 15(with Texan passing)
4. There seems to be mixed opinion as to evaluation of Sharper (average year in 2004 to "best player". I will bow to the management's final decision as they see every play, game or practice.
5.Players in all sports seem to say "It is a business.." when they are traded or asked to lower salary expectations. Few say it when they are asking for more $.

edo783
03-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Seems we are interested in the Rt Gaurd of the Rams, according to Yahoo Sports (happy about that). I think they are in need of defense. A trade works for me.

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 11:38 AM
However, the best player on the defense the last 10 games of last season was Dunta Robinson, not Jamie Sharper... let's get that straight right now.

Ok, well that's still makes him our 2nd best defender. Name 1 more better if you can, and he's still top 3 on our defense. Also, he's still the best LB we have, a big part of the defense to lose anyway you look at it.

All this wild-*** speculation and no one is stopping to think that maybe, if Sharper is traded, it is Sharper who wants out?

Yea that was one of my first thoughts

My first thought when I heard of a possible trade, was that maybe Sharper was asking for the trade.

JustBonee
03-04-2005, 11:41 AM
All this wild-*** speculation and no one is stopping to think that maybe, if Sharper is traded, it is Sharper who wants out? The dude is a good player, but I don't know if he was a good leader. He has been critical of the team/coaches and has publicly vented his frustration at the course of the franchise before.
I tend to look at it like that too. .. could very well be the truth of the matter. Between the money issue and his outburst.. could be why this is playing out the way it is.
Hope he's back though. :)

NeViKaN
03-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Just to add to the thought.

Hmmm. Our old D-line coach is now the DC at the Browns, with the 3rd pick. I only bring this up because people are saying that we are going to trade up for DJ. I have the Browns picking DJ at three so to get DJ we would trade Sharper for the Brown's 3rd and our 1st. I still don't like it. Sharper is proven and has been our guy. :hmmm:

TEXANS84
03-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, here's the effect on the cap:

-- Texans Allow Sharper to Seek Trade --
Fri Mar 4, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Houston Texans have given LB Jamie Sharper to shop himself in a trade and are considering doing the same with fellow LB Jay Foreman. It's possible the team would accommodate a trade for one of those two and then keep the other. Sharper is considered the player who might command the better value in a trade. Trading Sharper would create significant salary cap room because he's in the last year of his contract. If he is traded, the team would save $5.625 million. Foreman has three years remaining on his contract, so the team would only save $890,000.

Doom Capers
03-04-2005, 01:22 PM
As long as Peek is given his chance to start, I do not care what they do with Sharper/Foreman. Peek and Babin on the outside and Wong and Greenwood on the inside sounds good to me.

Rosusu
03-04-2005, 01:23 PM
If we dont get a starter for him in return it is not worth it IMO. He is to good of a talent to be getting a 4th round pick. That would just be a major salary dump. In the case that he is the one trying to get out, then let him go. There is no point keeping a player that doesnt want to play for you.

Fico
03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I understand the position about Sharper and his cap hit, but I dont think that he is declining in his career yet. Just because you go from number one in the league in tackles to number 6 doesn't mean your in decline. PLus we had some of our D-line back, that did not participate in the 03 season, that could contribute to some of his stats declining.

I say we keep Sharper for his last year of his contract and if his produciton falls compared to his 04 numbers then we dont resign him. I know we could get a decent deal out of him yet, but I dont see any reason to trade him unless the deal is decisivley in our favor. I know it is a businees but you have to have some loyalty to your players, which in turn might provoke better effort.

Obviously if DJ falls to us we take him, but I believe Spears and or Merriman would be excellent pickups as well. Plus I dont think we would be able to negotiate a deal for us to move into a higher draft position by just dealing Sharper.

Just my 2 cents...

AndroidRaider24
03-04-2005, 01:55 PM
So what do you guys think he will go for ? 2nd round pick ? Players ? Position needs ?

texasguy346
03-04-2005, 01:58 PM
So what do you guys think he will go for ? 2nd round pick ? Players ? Position needs ?

Honestly I really don't see him going for anything, and I'm thinking it might just be a way to give negotiations about a contract extension more of a kick-start. He'll be able to shop himself around, and get an idea of his value and hopefully his demands will become closer to what the Texans think he is worth. That may all be just wishful thinking on my part though.

TexFan58
03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
NO WAY There is no way in this world the Texans should let Sharper go. When I look it the leadership for this team, I look squarely at Sharper.... Big Mistake, look at any of the pictures taken of the fans in the stands at Reliant...#55 stands out tall. Forgetaboutit, as they say in NY/NJ :woot

Vinny
03-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Leadership? What kind of a leader begs to be led?

"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

bckey
03-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Capers and it is probably why he is being offered as trade bait. Sharper isn't really begging to be led as much as he is frustrated with losing games that should have been won. It sounds like he was questioning Capers ability in general. There was a lot of speculation on these bb's when he said that but I still believe he is tired of Capers lack of fire at times when it seems to be needed and some of the conservative play calling when the game is on the line.

If Sharper does get traded I'll bet we will hear a lot more from him than that.

I like Sharper and I don't want to see the Texans trade him. It may turn out to be like the Antonio Bryant and Parcells deal. Belated payback from the coach and an example to the rest of the players.

Vinny
03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Leaders don't whine to the press about their coaches, thats poor leadership skills. jmo

TexanBacker93
03-04-2005, 03:02 PM
If I had to guess I would assume the Texans organization is concerned that Sharper will leave at the end of the year. I'm sure they've been in discussions with him to restructure and stretch his contract out over a few years. If he is unwilling to do so, indicating that he wants to leave the team, I believe the best course of action is to see what the Texans can get for him. A first day draft pick is better than having him play for a year and walk away. That draft pick can be used to bring in a younger player that won't be as much of a salary cap hit.

Sharper posted the best 3 years of his career in Houston. The 3-4 defense is designed to allow the ILBs to make the plays and that's what Sharper has done. Had he not played next to Ray Lewis in Baltimore I am sure he would have made more noise there as well. I think the Texans can improve themselves more by moving Wong inside and use a pick to bring more youth/depth onto the team.

MikeMc
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
If the Texans hold on to Sharper until his contract runs out (after 2005) and they get nothing in return (trade this year would do the trick), will he be this year's version of David Boston?

He (Boston) was at the end of his contract and ARZ did not get anything for him (through trades) so they let him play his contract out and then he left for SD (via FA).

I believe the same thing happened with the Astros and Mike Hampton.

Jonathan
03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I believe the same thing happened with the Astros and Mike Hampton.

The Astros traded Mike Hampton for Octavio Dotel and Roger Cedeno a year before his contract expired.

I agree with your sentiment. It's better to get something now rather than getting nothing in a year.

Grid
03-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I dont think we would have put him up for trade if we intended to resign him next season.

honestly when you step back and look at it...we are not a team thats gonna go out and pay HUGE contracts to veterans. Sharper is an awesome LB and I loved having him.. but he is in the twilight of his career, and I dont see us sacrificing cap space to keep him on with us. if he restructures for the kind of money we can deal with.. then im all for keeping him.. but if he doesnt then I think trading him and replacing him now is a very good move.

Vinny
03-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I dont think we would have put him up for trade if we intended to resign him next season. That is pretty common Grid. One way to check your market value when you refuse to restructure your agreement in the last year is to contact other teams to see if you are truly worth what you are asking for. This is just smart and fair negotiating and helps both sides if you cannot come to an agreement. It's become obvious that the Texans do not want him to play at the 6 mil cap hit next season and have not come to an agreement that both side perceives as fair.

Grid
03-04-2005, 05:33 PM
yah I know that.. well.. at least a few people have said that and ive read it :) so... yah I understand that that could be the case.

Im just saying that I honestly dont think we put him up for trade for that reason. I think we would like to trade him and get something of value for him so that we can bring in some young talent at that position. I think Sharper is a great player but he isnt a long haul player for us. By trading now, we have the opportunity to GET a player that will be here for the long hual. (im talking about Derrick Johnson of course hehe.. but it could also be someone like Thurman).

Also.. didnt someone post and say that if we traded him his cap hit this year would only be 1.25mil instead of 6mil? that frees up enough space to possibly sign another FA somewhere.

I just see alot of doors opening if we get good value by trading sharper. Though I cant say I would be surprised.. or even disappointed.. if he restructured and stayed.

Grid
03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
What is our window of opportunity for Sharper anyway? how long do we have to move him or restructure his contract?

BradK10
03-04-2005, 09:01 PM
apologize for not having identified this source, but i'm workin on it, it was posted on www.thecollegegridiron.com/forums (a board I am an admin for) by a guy who usually doesn't make up stuff like this.

Sources said Thursday night that linebacker Jamie Sharper has been given permission to seek a trade, a move that would clear space at an overstocked position and rid the Texans of Sharper's $6.13 million salary-cap hit for 2005, the final year of Sharper's five-year contract the Texans acquired from Baltimore in the 2002 expansion draft.

BradK10
03-04-2005, 09:04 PM
and i'm quite possibly retarded, that came from the Moronicle, and was probably already posted today.

RTP2110
03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Why are the Texans trying to save $6 mil by getting rid of Sharper? I don't think they're in serious cap trouble. Are they? Also, what will they do with the 6 mil? If they want a high quality player, it might cost them the same 6 mil. They could use it to sign 2-3 players for depth, but they wouldn't get much talent.

One way to check your market value when you refuse to restructure your agreement in the last year is to contact other teams to see if you are truly worth what you are asking for.

I really hope this is the case.

BradK10
03-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Just a hunch, but when a report says a player has been given permission to seek a trade, that usually means that the players WANTS to be traded. Sharper wasn't shy about voicing displease over coaching decisions last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out. I don't really disagree with that guy.

BornOrange
03-05-2005, 09:35 AM
"Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

Leaders don't look to others (even their coaches) for leadership, they step up and lead. In fact, they take responsibility for the team instead of the coaches.

Wolf
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Leaders don't look to others (even their coaches) for leadership, they step up and lead. In fact, they take responsibility for the team instead of the coaches.

Agreed
and didn't Gfunk say something along the same lines at one point of the season also?

BornOrange
03-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Agreed
and didn't Gfunk say something along the same lines at one point of the season also?
He sure did.

MojoMan
03-05-2005, 11:18 AM
What about trading Jamie Sharper plus our 1st round pick (#13), for Cleveland's 1st round pick (#3)?

Then we could draft Derrick Johnson, and we would be all set at the middle linebacker spots for years to come.

:thumbup

Wolf
03-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I am thinking the thing is a negotiating ploy.. IMO. Sharpers agent playing hardball... and the Texans aren't blinking and they are playing hardball..

If not and strickly a salary move .. I personally would rather keep Sharper than Payne .... but I am thinking that Sharper's agent is comanding too big of bucks so the Texans are doing what they have too..

Fiddy
03-05-2005, 11:55 AM
What about trading Jamie Sharper plus our 1st round pick (#13), for Cleveland's 1st round pick (#3)?

Then we could draft Derrick Johnson, and we would be all set at the middle linebacker spots for years to come.

:thumbupThe Browns have new coaches. Their not stupid anymore. They are not trading for a 30 year old in the last year of his contract who wants a big extention and lose 10 spots in a draft that really doesnt have that many big names at the top. That trade will never happen.

Dunta_23
03-05-2005, 01:00 PM
A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns....I think it would be a good move for the future, probably wouldnt pay this year but in the next season or 2 it would be worth it...

pskinny
03-05-2005, 01:27 PM
A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns....I think it would be a good move for the future, probably wouldnt pay this year but in the next season or 2 it would be worth it...

You're right, most of their fans think it's a steal. Let's get it done.

Lucky
03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns...
That's why Randy Lerner hired Phil Savage as GM rather than a guy off the Browns' BB. That deal would assume Sharper has the value of a 1st round pick. He doesn't.

Vinny
03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Savage used to be the Ratbirds Director of Player Personnel and I think he was there when they put Sharper on the expansion list. He may not like Sharper, or perhaps he just didn't like his contract. They are switching to a 3-4 this year but I do agree with the Luckster though. That deal doesn't strike me as one that they would do. If Sharper was an edge player I'd think it would be a viable scenario.

Grid
03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
actually.. that isnt assuming that he has the value of a 1st round pick.. they are offering us the #3 pick(and a second day pick).. for Sharper, and our #13.

so really.. they are saying sharper is worth ten spots in the draft.. plus a second day pick. that is tempting.. but id be wary of it. if we want DJ, he could be gone at #2. id like to get a first rounder and keep our first rounder.. so that we can trade up if we want to, or if DJ just doesnt fall far enough for us to do that, we still have 2 first round picks to work with.

AndreJ
03-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I think the Texans can improve themselves more by moving Wong inside and use a pick to bring more youth/depth onto the team.

Lets say we did move Wong back inside and have him along with greenwood for the ILB's. If we were to get the 3rd overall pick which i think is what some are speculating. And we drafted DJ would he split time with Peek and Babin or would we leave Wong on the outside (With Peek and Babin rotating) and have DJ and Greenwood on the inside?

Just curious as to how our LB positions would look if we traded Sharper and picked up DJ.

Hence:
Peek-Greenwood-Wong-Babin (w/ DJ rotating in with Bab & Peek)

or

Wong-Greenwood-DJ-Babin (w/ Peek rotating in like he did last year.)

LikeABoss
03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Lets say we did move Wong back inside and have him along with greenwood for the ILB's. If we were to get the 3rd overall pick which i think is what some are speculating. And we drafted DJ would he split time with Peek and Babin or would we leave Wong on the outside (With Peek and Babin rotating) and have DJ and Greenwood on the inside?

Just curious as to how our LB positions would look if we traded Sharper and picked up DJ.

Hence:
Peek-Greenwood-Wong-Babin (w/ DJ rotating in with Bab & Peek)

or

Wong-Greenwood-DJ-Babin (w/ Peek rotating in like he did last year.)

I think DJ would rotate in at the MLB positions, because people believe he is a better coverage guy than a blitzer. Wong would still be on the inside though, but DJ is younger with more potential so he would likely be Wong's replacement latter down the road.

Vinny
03-05-2005, 03:24 PM
DJ is too small to be an olb in our system. He would have to play inside.

Honoring Earl 34
03-05-2005, 04:16 PM
:thumbup Vinny DJ weighed 242 is that to small. I think you can move him around . He seems to be a smart player .

Grid
03-05-2005, 04:24 PM
yah 242 is ILB size. OLBs are in the high 250s and 260s

Lucky
03-05-2005, 04:29 PM
actually.. that isnt assuming that he has the value of a 1st round pick.. they are offering us the #3 pick(and a second day pick).. for Sharper, and our #13.
Using just draft choices, a move from #13 to #3 in the draft would likely take the equivalence of a 1st round pick. From one of the many Pick Value charts (http://nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm) on the net:

(#3) 2200 pts = (#13) 1150 pts + 1050 pts

1050 pts = #15 pick

Sharper is 30 years old & in the last year of a contract that will pay him $4.75 million. You have to assume the team that will trade for Jamie will want to extend his contract & reduce his cap number. Else, they're renting Sharper for a year. The Browns have a new organization that is trying to rebuid through the draft & signing young FA's. They're not going to want 30-something players with big cap numbers.

Grid
03-05-2005, 04:29 PM
then again.. alot of OLBs im looking at are in the 250 range.

and Clark Haggans in Pitts is 6'4" 243.

So.. i guess it is a possibility that he could play OLB.

Vinny
03-05-2005, 04:57 PM
:thumbup Vinny DJ weighed 242 is that to small. I think you can move him around . He seems to be a smart player .He is really not the kind of player that needs to engage offensive tackles all game. Perhaps you guys are right and he can. I've watched him a ton and he doesn't strike me as a DE/Tweener type you need in an OLB in the 3-4.

Honoring Earl 34
03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
:thumbup I was just saying he has a little size and could possibly be an OLB . I'm not sure thats where I'd put him .

TexansTrueFan
03-05-2005, 06:11 PM
ya know all the talk on this board it seems that the only position we need to feel is LB, its not !!!

Texans Pride
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
ya know all the talk on this board it seems that the only position we need to feel is LB, its not !!!

I don't think anyone believes LB is the only position we need to fill, but you are responding to a LB thread :)

TexansTrueFan
03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
haha na i'm responding to a majority of the talk since the off season began !I'm really suprised that we havent picked up any OL FA even though casserly said we wouldnt make any big changes to the OL. But overall about LBs, I like the crew we have put together so far this off season !

TEXANS84
03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Had a Bengals fan say this on another message board:

Bengals are already showing interest in Sharper, and a trade that wold send Warrick to the Texans may be in the works...

AndreJ
03-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Had a Bengals fan say this on another message board:

I'd be ok with that, but i think we should get a 2nd day pick to go alogn with it if it were to happen. As for LB's we would still have Peek, Babin, Wong and Greenwood. Unless we move up i dont think we can snatch DJ @ 13. I use to think we could but now i have my doubts.

Grid
03-05-2005, 06:39 PM
ugh.. Sharper for Warrick.. im sorry but that would make me sick. A starting defensive playmaker for a #2 receiver.. :P pthhhbt. id want a 3rd to go along with him.

Vinny
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm sure its pure speculaton but its interesting. Warrick is in the last year of his $2.2 million salary and is coming off of surgery and his agent is Drew Rosenhaus...if you want the particulars on Warrick.

texansfan88
03-05-2005, 06:41 PM
fortunately, it's probably not true if it's just a fan on some message boards

TEXANS84
03-05-2005, 06:43 PM
fortunately, it's probably not true if it's just a fan on some message boards

Agreed. It just raised my eyebrow for a bit. Both players coming into contract years.

Just got this as a reply:

Marvin Lewis was talking on the radio that Warrick was on the block, and a trade for Sharper would be nice because you all need a #2 receiver, so I guess you can just say that this is pure speculation...

TexansTrueFan
03-05-2005, 06:46 PM
:( i hope sharper stays !!!!

TexSon
03-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Bengals are already showing interest in Sharper, and a trade that wold send Warrick to the Texans may be in the works...
Yuck... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Overalls
03-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Please say no to Sharper for Warrick.

ThaShark316
03-05-2005, 07:31 PM
What wrong with Warrick...he's only a bust... :heh:

Its funny...I'm playin Madden and I was about to make that trade (J-Sharper for Warrick)...WTF is goin on around here...

CC, If u do it...I shall slap u across the face, knocking ur coke bottles off ur head. :heh: :thumbup :whistle:

tiger06
03-05-2005, 07:32 PM
We'd better get a draft pick along with Warrick.

ThaShark316
03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
We'd better get a draft pick along with Warrick.

Picks, Warrick, two extra surgeons and 3 more trainers for Sharper...

If u get a Warrick, You need him healthy...cuz playa can't stay injury-free.

FILO_girl
03-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Please Jamie, stay one more year!!! We need you!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, I believe that we need him.

Gilly
03-05-2005, 08:35 PM
as much as I have lobbied for a true #2 WR, I would hate to give up Sharpier for it. Warrick is good when he is healthy but as of late that is far and inbetween.

I dont like it, not one bit.

WWJD
03-05-2005, 08:38 PM
I think trading Sharper would be a huge mistake. The kind that comes up to bite you eventually.

Lucky
03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
If Sharper won't sign an extension, what choice do the Texans have but to trade or release him? He'll be gone after the '05 season, anyway. For the future of the team, don't you think it's in everyones best interests to find a replacement (like Greenwood) and move on?

ThaShark316
03-05-2005, 08:50 PM
I think its a "regardless what u do" thing with Sharper next season. If he stays, and he has a productive year, I think he would still be let go...just my :twocents: .....wouldn't u guys agree?

AndreJ
03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I think its a "regardless what u do" thing with Sharper next season. If he stays, and he has a productive year, I think he would still be let go...just my :twocents: .....wouldn't u guys agree?
Yeah i do the guys 30 yrs old and he's not going to get any better as time goes buy im looking ahead for the future.

Texan Gal 312
03-05-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

This quote was obviously a part of ongoing conversation. He easily could have been talking about himself and the need to make more big plays. When he says "you have to produce" he isn't talking about a coach. Just a thought.

nunusguy
03-05-2005, 10:42 PM
If Sharper won't sign an extension, what choice do the Texans have but to trade or release him? He'll be gone after the '05 season, anyway. For the future of the team, don't you think it's in everyones best interests to find a replacement (like Greenwood) and move on?
JS arguably has been the Texans best D player in the teams brief history.
He's also been one of its most highly compensted - he was paid and paid
very well for his time and efforts and performance. If Jamies performace is on the decline and accordingly the team expects him to make a financial accomadation and he's unwilling to do so, well...this NFL thing is first and most of all a business.

vtech9
03-05-2005, 11:15 PM
I just saw this on KFFL.

Browns | Faine Could be Traded - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 05:50:54 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Cleveland Browns may place C Jeff Faine on the trading block.

What do you think about trading Sharper or Foreman for him?

texasguy346
03-05-2005, 11:34 PM
I just saw this on KFFL.

What do you think about trading Sharper or Foreman for him?

Interesting. I don't think we'd be able to trade Foreman for him, but Faine would be a nice pickup. There are lots of good young C in the draft, but Faine might be able to start immediately.

chuckm
03-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I just read a thread on the Browns message board about Faine .... they seem only too happy to be rid of him ....

texman8
03-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Just thinking. Some posters were speculating about DJ playing outside LB. What is Dwight Freeney's size? ( sorry,I'm lazy.) Besides,if we can do this trade,we have the option of choosing DJ, Braylon Edwards, or any of the RBs, Benson, Brown or Williams.

rosse
03-06-2005, 09:58 AM
I for one think if Jaime Sharper is not happy in Houston then get rid of him. The only he won a ring was because of Ray Lewis. I never really liked him from the start. Yes he has been productive for us over the past three years but if we can get another running back instead of reciever that would crucial!!! I am thinking Edgerrin James for Sharper and draft pick. Domanick Davis needs some help in the back field

FILO_girl
03-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:

This quote was obviously a part of ongoing conversation. He easily could have been talking about himself and the need to make more big plays. When he says "you have to produce" he isn't talking about a coach. Just a thought.

Same thing my husband said. Could be he was talking of himself...you know the media NEVER misconstrues what the high profile say.... :fib

H-townTexan
03-06-2005, 01:07 PM
To Foreman adios, but why Sharper???????????????? Are they trying to make cap room or go at the ILB spot from scratch? Maybe go after DJ in the draft?

They talkin bout Sharper cost to much look at Foreman he is to expensive,,,,,,,,,Jamie Sharper is our only playoff berth

H-townTexan
03-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Listen want to get cap room why not trade David carr he is too expensive and he throws an interception every snap :thumbdown thatz emberresing

H-townTexan
03-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Fox 26 just reported that after the Texans signed Greenwood, they told Sharper and Foreman they could go ahead and seek trades...

I think Greenwood will be a decent ILB, definitely better than Foreman, but nowhere near Sharper's level...

Discuss...

You true homeboy but foreman isnt that good and their paying him almost as much as Sharper but why do they get rid of Sharper he is an ICON around H-town and thiz just blew me up

Grid
03-06-2005, 02:58 PM
.... where to begin?

Sharper doesnt want to be here
Sharper is more expensive than foreman by a long shot
Sharper is 30 years old
Sharper has been unwilling to restructure
Sharper would not have been resigned next season
Sharper is not an icon around houston, or if he is, Carr is a much bigger one
Sharper getting traded now, means we get value for him.. as opposed to watching him leave and getting nothing next year

Carr is very accurate
Carr's cap hit is large this year but that is because his contract was majorly back loaded
Carr is the leader of our offense
Carr is young and has huge upside
Carr loves the town and the team and does not want to go anywhere
Carr's interceptions have mostly come at times when he was trying to make something happen when we were losing a game

Sharper is our only playoff berth? you mean he is the only guy we have who has made it to the playoffs? no he isnt. you mean he is the guy who is going to get us to the playoffs? how? he has been consistent every year and he hasnt carried us to the playoffs.. he keeps getting older and costing us more money, and the playoffs are only getting closer cause our rookies are getting better.

Sharper is a great ILB and if he restructures ill be happy to have him back.. but we dont NEED him.. plain and simple.

Corrosion
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Listen want to get cap room why not trade David carr he is too expensive and he throws an interception every snap :thumbdown thatz emberresing

What you been smokin ? :heh:

Go to NFL.com and compare Carr's stats to the TOP QB's in the NFL and you will find he is among the top 5-8 in several categories . Yes DC throws the occasional interception but many if not MOST of them can be directly attribted to POOR PROTECTION , not lack of talent , arm strength or mechanic's . Its pretty hard to hit your target when you are getting blasted from your blindside or forced to flee for your life on almost every passing play.

Considering the type of protection he's gotten over his 3 seasons here . im surprised he has such ..... respectable numbers . They could be much worse . Ask Saints Fan about Aaron Brooks ..... or Lions Fan about Joey Harrington .

My :twocents: on Sharper and Foreman ....

Foreman is overpayed and has under produced . He is nothing more than a solid back up . Telling him to seek out a trade is more or less allowing him to find employment @ his current salary or telling him you either re-structure or get CUT . If they trade him at least they get something for him ..(if they throw in a six pack of cold ones) .... possibly a 4th -5th rounder.

Sharper is a different story . He's an established starting calibur NFL LB . Although he is getting older , he is still a better than average LB and one of the anchors of the Texans D. This is nothing more than a cap move . Either they re-structure the contract so as not to take the big cam hit next season and cut him like the Patriots have notably done with several players over the past couple years or they trade him now and get some value for him . Seems to me the choice is up to Sharper .

As for how this affects the draft .... if both players are traded or cut in the case of Foreman this turns a position of strength into a glaring weakness as far as depth meaning the texans are looking at a specific player in the draft . This could be DJ in the first round (most likely via trade up) or any number of players in the 2nd-4th rounds.

keyfro
03-06-2005, 04:41 PM
not sure what to make of all of this...i love how they did this on friday and the weekend basically killed all nfl deals...especially on sunday when there is pretty much no work being done...maybe over the weekend both sides have cooled down and maybe able to get a deal done...with sharper that is...if i was casserly i would either redo the foreman deal where he is getting about the vet. minimum or trade him for whatever we can get...sharper i would try to extend...i wouldn't trade him just yet because you never know how this season could turn out...we could have one of the biggest turn arounds and make it deep into the playoffs then sharper would want to return or we could trade him now and go bust because our ILB's all got hurt...personally i'd rather hold out and hope we have a great season and able to resign him rather than the other scenerio

Corrosion
03-06-2005, 04:45 PM
The one player i wish they would tell to seek a trade is G-Funk .... GROSSLY OVERPAID .

keyfro
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
well if we traded g-funk what would you think we would get in return and who would want him with that heavy of a salary...not to mention the huge cap hit we would suffer for it

TMac48
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
...Oh yeah, I forgot. Andre Johnson is the next Randy Moss.
This is true only if you mean better than Randy and minus the bad attitude and smart mouth.

MIGHTYTEX
03-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm not for trading him but if we do, we better get a player around the same caliber or a lineman, (off. or def.) and a second round pick or higher

Ranger
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I've been thinking about his for a while--and I'm ready to open my mouth.

I hate to say because I love Jamie Sharper, really I do, but I think its a GOOD idea to trade him. Think about it--he's 30. Yeah he has been the cornerstone for our defense, but he's 30. He can only be a cornerstone, and a good one, for the next 2 years. After that we just got a guy who's at best a backup gettting paid say $6 mil a year in his new 5 year contract. That don't help us much. Who's to say that he will work out a contract anyway? There seems to be a little friction between the two sides and he may want to test out the market so he may up and leave us. If we put him on the trading block now and see what his value his, he may come down on his wanting price and find out he may not be the hottest thing on the market. We get rid of him this year for a 2nd round pick (and a 2nd round pick is the highest we would get for him if not lower say a high 3rd) that gives us one more young player to fill a hole and an extra $5 to play around with in free agency this year or years to come.

Everybody is convinced that Greenwood is a signing that won't effect our defense very much. This is a guy thats very productive. He puts up 125 tackles every year playing alongside Zach Thomas and Junior Seau. I think we got us a special young player here that can come in and is ready to step up and give us 175 tackles and be consistant and to start making big plays. I think that the Greenwood-Wong combination would work. Yeah it don't look good on paper, but it doesn't matter whats on paper. If we can get rid of Sharpers contract and get close to the same production, then yeah I'm happy. I just think we overlooking the effect of Greenwood. Besides what has been are defensive ranking the past 2 seasons with Shaper? It ain't been to good. Its hard to imagine it could get any worse without him.

I'm all for it. Greenwood-Wong is an exciting combination. If we can get a 2nd for Sharper and can an extra player to fill a hole this year, and $5 mil in cap space, then why not. I think its a good job of Casserly to think outside the box.

tiger06
03-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I love what Greenwood brings to our LB corps - a good, young, productive guy who should make an impact right away. I don't know if I like the idea of Wong starting beside him if Foreman and/or Sharper leaves.

I'd be ecstatic if we got a 2nd rounder for Sharper. We'd then have two 2nds and two 3rds, leaving us in great position to fill our team with young depth or package a couple of those picks along with our 1st rounder to possibly move up and grab DJ.

But even if Sharper does stay, I'll be happy. He can still play and he brings a lot to our defense. I trust Casserly and our management enough to do whatever benefits our team the most.

UberDork
03-08-2005, 01:30 AM
You know, I like Sharper. He is a solid LB, but he is not worth what he makes. In order to be worth his salary, he must have more big plays. Yes he has lots of tackles and I like that, but I really wish the NFL had some sort of tackles per 4 downs type of ratio. This would give a better comparison of production to other NFL players. The Texans' defense was probably on the field a bit more than most other teams, thus Sharper should get more tackles. If we only get a pick for Sharper, I would be happy with a second. The problem with picks is that you are not guaranteed a solid player, seems like a bigger risk than a veteran. I would rather we pick up a solid young veteran that fills a need position, but that is easier said than done. Ultimately I hope we retain Sharper but at a smaller contract. Sharper is good, but in my book, he is not as good as some people give him credit. He has to make more big plays to get big bucks...he gets around 0-3 fumbles, 2-5 sacks, and no interceptions a year right now...and he makes a little over the franchise value for LBs indicating he is one of the highest paid LBs in the league.

If anyone has a link that compares number of plays on defense each team incures throughout the season, I would love to see it. Thx

infantrycak
03-08-2005, 09:07 AM
The Texans' defense was probably on the field a bit more than most other teams, thus Sharper should get more tackles. ... He has to make more big plays to get big bucks...he gets around 0-3 fumbles, 2-5 sacks, and no interceptions a year right now...and he makes a little over the franchise value for LBs indicating he is one of the highest paid LBs in the league.

If anyone has a link that compares number of plays on defense each team incures throughout the season, I would love to see it. Thx

Here is your
Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2004/regular?sort_col_1=4&_1:col_1=3) .

The Texans were 8th in fewest plays on D last year. It was a good theory, just didn't pan out.

Sharper playing like he did in 2004 was not worth his contract. Sharper in 2002, 2003 definitely was. In 2004 it wasn't the lack of "big" plays IMO--ILB's don't get as many sacks and their opportunities for sacks or INT's really depends on the schemes called. Sharper's play last year was off IMO on being a tad late to seal the corner, a little loose on coverage and on less sure tackling (too many plays he put his shoulder on the guy but did not wrap the arms). Players have off years without it meaning they have hit some sort of physical decline marking the end of their career so my bet would be on Sharper coming back to 2003 form. That said because of the cap getting him to restructure or exploring potential trades (doesn't mean you have to actually trade him) seems smart.

nunusguy
03-08-2005, 09:34 AM
.....Wong,Greenwood,Peek and Babin.....
One thing about that lineup, it would bring us the kind of speed to our LB corps that we haven't had up to now, and many say that's what that
group needs most of all to increase pressure on QBs.

UberDork
03-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks infantrycak, I definately should have found those numbers myself...heh...just didn't see them...oh well. After looking at the numbers, I think my little theory is mostly bogus, but last year we were near the top and Sharpers production was down some. The two prior years we were near the bottom and Shapers production was up some. As far as the schemes affecting his opportunities for "big" plays is concerned, I sort of feel that if he were a big play waiting to happen, the coaches could alter schemes to allow him those opportunities. Granted, what I just said is somewhat short sighted and probably B.S., but I just don't see a Franchise ILB in Sharper. I see a very solid, does his job well, but doesn't challenge the coaches to alter schemes to suit his dominant play type of LB.

keyfro
03-08-2005, 10:05 AM
the only way i can be ok with trading sharper is that we trade him and our 1st round pick for cleveland's 1st pick and draft derrick johnson

Vinny
03-08-2005, 10:13 AM
There also was word out of Houston on Monday that linebacker Jamie Sharper, granted permission late last week by the Texans to seek a trade, might be talking to the Bengals. Lewis was Sharper's defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens for five seasons (1997-01).

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050308/SPT02/503080381/1066

nunusguy
03-08-2005, 10:25 AM
the only way i can be ok with trading sharper is that we trade him and our 1st round pick for cleveland's 1st pick and draft derrick johnson
If we could somehow get Clevelands #3 overall in exchange for our #13 +
Sharper - don't even think about it - do it, forget about DJ. Then keep it for Johnston or trade back and get a gob of picks to give us 2-3 additional starters.

alphajoker
03-08-2005, 10:33 AM
:thumbup If Sharper is indeed talking with the Bengals, then I would love to see this scenario: Sharper and one of our 3rd round picks for their 17th pick. Man having two first round picks would definitely address some major needs. Just a little wishful thinking.

Corrosion
03-08-2005, 10:54 AM
If we could somehow get Clevelands #3 overall in exchange for our #13 +
Sharper - don't even think about it - do it,

Anyone in their right mind would do that deal in the from the Texans prospective , but why would Cleveland do this ? Makes no sense to me for them to take Sharpers contract (not to mention he's gettin a bit long in the tooth) and pass up a potential player like DJ . Sure they get Sharper and the 13 pick ..... just doesnt seem likely unless someone in their front office has been smokin ...... :heh:

Honoring Earl 34
03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
:woot Sharper for draft picks no baggage .

infantrycak
03-08-2005, 11:00 AM
As far as the schemes affecting his opportunities for "big" plays is concerned, I sort of feel that if he were a big play waiting to happen, the coaches could alter schemes to allow him those opportunities.

I think we have just seen the Greenwood change to allow that to happen more. Weak links affect more than just the weak player on a team. Foreman not getting the job done in run support makes Sharper try to take up the slack. Walker not getting it done last year didn't make Babin's rookie season any easier. Foreman not covering well puts extra pressure on the safeties. Part of what makes the Patriots so good without superstar defenders is everyone is solid so the guy next to them doesn't have to be a superstar to take up the slack and they have a lot of flexibility for schemes.

UberDork
03-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Good point.

cptnbreakdance
03-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Go to the Browns message board, they love this idea, they love sharper and they dont want the #3 pick, check for yourself if you dont believe me.

keyfro
03-08-2005, 11:42 AM
that and they seriously need linebackers if they are going to do the switch to a 3-4 defense...if they do this trade they won't get dj...but they will get sharper and probably merriman or d. cody

dirty steve
03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
just checked the browns site...they seem to like sharper, but are high on DJ too.

Ranger
03-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Yall are crazy if you think Sharper for the Browns #1 is going to work. There is no way that would happen. Now are 3rd plus Sharper for the Bengals #17, thats a little more realistic. Still I have a hard time beleiving that we could get anything higher than a second rounder. They would REALLY have to be high on Sharper to give away their 1st round pick.

I don't understand why we would trade away Sharper and then go and then trade up for Derrick Johnson. That would take draft picks and I thought one of the purposes of trading away Sharper was to get rid of his contract. If we draft at #3, we will be taking on another big contract.

The direction the Texans D is going is for Greenwood and Wong to play in the middle, and maybe we draft a guy like Thurman to play around with. Other than that and maybe drafting a guy to play ROLB with Peek, maybe Merrian or another one of those tweeniers, I see this linebacking core taking no more futher drastic changes.

Texans32
03-08-2005, 11:17 PM
if this does happen, we would need to sign hartwell and still hope to trade up for DJ. if that happens, i think if wouldn't be that bad of a thing

texasguy346
03-09-2005, 10:52 PM
More bad news. According to Fox 26, both Sharper and Foreman told the Texans that if they're not able to make a trade soon then they wish to be released in order to give them a shot to find a spot on another club. Sharper sounded upset on the phone interview, and he said the he was willing to restructure his contract to stay a Texan but apparently the Texans weren't interested.

OzzO
03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
... and don't forget that Bradford showed his pretty Lions jersey. He was impressed that he got a jersey and a locker space already (doesn't take much does it?) and that the Lions said they had 2 recievers and that he could battle for a position. He's gonna check out the Giants as well.

texasguy346
03-09-2005, 11:02 PM
W.....T.....F!!!!!! If this is true :thumbdown Charley!!! What the heck? :whew

Yeah that was my first thought too, but it may just be a PR move by Sharper.

hot pickle
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
release foreman, but trade sharper for a #2 WR and a mid draft pick

AndreJ
03-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Im still hoping for the rumour about him going to Cleveland and us getting the #3 pick to possibly pick of Derrick Johnson. Is there any update on that matter or has it been declared as not going to happen?

MojoX
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't think the Texans are too interested in getting anything other than draft picks for Sharper and Foreman. It may not matter, though, 'cause I don't think many teams are gonna trade for a guy who will be getting cut anyway?

infantrycak
03-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Foreman yes, Sharper no. Very well could be wrong but I doubt they cut Sharper without a trade. If the cap room is available and there is nobody signing on to replace him/take up his cap space then why not keep Sharper rather than release him?

MojoX
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Foreman yes, Sharper no. Very well could be wrong but I doubt they cut Sharper without a trade. If the cap room is available and there is nobody signing on to replace him/take up his cap space then why not keep Sharper rather than release him?
I agree. I don't see them cutting Sharper unless a bonafide replacement has been found. I just think the idea that the Texans will cut Sharper (whether or not they plan to) might lower his trade value (meaning Sharper will probably remain a Texan).

I personally would like to team to get some extra picks and trade up to take the guy they covet most.

MojoX
03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Given the other thread. My musing is more than likely waaaay off the mark. Sharper would be worth a high price to any team looking to win now.

coachbp4
03-10-2005, 12:34 AM
hmmm a thought

Lucky
03-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Given the other thread. My musing is more than likely waaaay off the mark. Sharper would be worth a high price to any team looking to win now.
That thread was removed until the poster could produce a link. Don't hold your breath, it was likely a hoax,

Rosusu
03-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, I was very confused.

MojoX
03-10-2005, 12:39 AM
That thread was removed until the poster could produce a link. Don't hold your breath, it was likely a hoax,
Yeah, I realized that after it disappeared and no one else had posted it anywhere.

TexanFanInCC
03-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Can we ever keep a unit together? :taz:

well obviously there was a weakness in the previous unit. they couldnt pass rush. there would be a size issue w/o foreman and sharper, but we will be faster.

DoCt3rJ
03-10-2005, 12:45 AM
hey texanfanincc , im in corpus christi also. cool to see another texan fan in cc

scourge
03-10-2005, 01:49 AM
If he's serious and the Texans aren't willing to restructure, then I don't know what to think... :confused:

with as many changes it appears we'll be making this offseason, particularly on D, I don't see how there will be a serious push for the playoffs in '05

but I seriously hope I'm wrong.

Vinny
03-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Sharper, speaking publicly for the first time since being given permission to seek a trade, seemed resigned to leaving Houston after leading the team in tackles two of the last three years. Both he and Foreman expressed appreciation for their teammates and fans and regret they weren't able to lead the Texans into the playoffs.

"I've had some time to take it all in, and I'm ready to move on," Sharper said. "We're trying to work out a trade, but it's not looking like that's going to happen. I respect the fact they gave me an opportunity to seek a trade, but if it can't happen in the next couple of days, I need to be released."

Sharper said he met with general manager Charley Casserly on Monday and was told it's possible the Texans could hold on to him until they see how the roster looks after the draft.

"I don't think that would be fair," Sharper said. "That's where we have a difference of opinion."

Casserly declined comment. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3077869

uga_iv
03-10-2005, 02:05 AM
The sooner this is over the better. I am concerned that this will turn ugly before it's all over. I guess it's just like any other job. When the boss says hit the door . . . .

scourge
03-10-2005, 02:05 AM
This blows... and that's all I have to say about that.

TMac48
03-10-2005, 02:07 AM
I'd hate to see us just release him without getting a pick or two at least...

uga_iv
03-10-2005, 02:09 AM
I'd hate to see us just release him without getting a pick or two at least...

I agree, but if everyone thinks we will release him soon anyway . . . .

Grid
03-10-2005, 02:13 AM
if we release sharper and get nothing in return.. im gonna have to say Casserly ****ed up really badly.

texansfan88
03-10-2005, 02:24 AM
If you put it into relative terms, think of it this way:

Did green bay mess up badly by not getting anything in return for Darren Sharper and Mike Wahle? They're still a playoff caliber team

Did the Titans mess up badly by getting rid of Mason and Carter? I dont think so, they still have great young talent and a terrific coaching staff.

Losing Sharper will hurt if no one else steps up, but thats what seperates the winning teams from the losing teams i guess.

Paragon Blue
03-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Time to buy a new jersey :dontknowa

Grid
03-10-2005, 02:28 AM
I guess the difference is that we werent in cap trouble.. Sharper wasnt in a contract year.. and if we arent getting anything of value from letting him go.. then we should have kept him for another season and benefited from his services.

TEXANS84
03-10-2005, 02:34 AM
You know, deep down...you gotta feel for these guys.

Things like this seperate this "game" from a "business".

Good luck to both of them...its gonna be extremely strange not seeing 55 with the dread-locks not on the field.

texansfan88
03-10-2005, 02:36 AM
true that man...he will be missed...I kind of hope he doesn't go to St. Louis, Kansas City, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Indy, Arizona, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh...that'd be weird to see him come to Reliant in a different uni.

but sharper is in the final year of his deal...that's the problem grid.

TEXANS84
03-10-2005, 02:42 AM
See, comments like this still make me wonder:

"I don't think (Sharper and I) were the problem on defense," the station quoted Foreman as saying. "I thought we were the centerpiece."

texansfan88
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
See, comments like this still make me wonder:
heck, I could care less if Foreman makes comments. Who's to say he knows what he is talking about?

ThaShark316
03-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Comments like those makes it official...They WON'T be here next year, u can chalk it up, dawg, they're gone.

jr0ck
03-10-2005, 02:50 AM
:confused: ...:shocked ... :(

this is not the news i wanted to read before going to bed...*visions of of a texans LB core not anchored by sharper* ...:thud:...

we'll miss you 'predator'... *really wishes this was less business and more sport* ...

texansfan88
03-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Comments like those makes it official...They WON'T be here next year, u can chalk it up, dawg, they're gone.
well...if they do come back, it's going to be a long season when they slack off during games not wanting to be a texan

ccdude730
03-10-2005, 06:35 AM
great, i go to work and come home to read this.... ay ay ay!

im still trying to figure out why CC wants to wait until the draft. if we can get a pick high enough, maybe the top 5 or so we have a good chance to get DJ. or why not tell wong to move inside. theyve said that he wont play that position, but why not assign him there and see what kind of production we get.

hey texanfanincc , im in corpus christi also. cool to see another texan fan in cc
geez guys, dont forget me. :BananaWav

F-minus67
03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
On houstonprofootball.com, it said Sharper is willing to sign an extention, which makes me wonder why CC has not gotten the paper work ready.

Tailgate
03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
We go from signing a LB out of knowhere (good money too), to jossling positions in the LB core to accept this signing, etc... then to finding out Sharper is allowed to seek a trade, accepting that because it could make us a better team in the long run, etc... to now it becoming a REAL possiblilty that he is just going to be released?????

That would be a step backwards for this franchise. Just when we are entering year 4. Not good.

erickwsmom
03-10-2005, 09:17 AM
All the negativity surrounding this is NOT good for the team, organization, fans, etc.

I'd like to think that the staff knows something we don't, but knowing they aren't willing to extend his contract really concerns me. How hard would it be to keep him around for another year if it isn't creating salary cap issues?

He may be getting older and he may not be as good as he way a year or two ago, but I know that the is part of the backbone of the defense, a leader to the young guys and a favorite of the fans. That alone should seal his spot and, especially if he is willing to extend his contract. I think we should give him the respect he has earned over the past three years and at least work with him.

I realize that this is also a business, but even in business, you have to make sacrifices for the good of the team, and I don't think all the negativity is good for anyone involved.

chuckm
03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
You know, deep down...you gotta feel for these guys.

I do ...... then I wake up and go to work ....

There are two sides to this story ... but I suspect we won't be seeing CC on the news talking about it much ...

keyfro
03-10-2005, 09:39 AM
you know what's really sad about this...if this is about the comments sharper made towards the end of the season i can't help but think that capers and casserly are handling this like a bunch of babies...ya'll are grown men can't ya'll act like it...simply releasing sharper cannot be a possibility...they need to find a trade suitor and atleast get a draft pick...better to get a 4th rounder than nothing at all...i really feel for sharper i honestly think that casserly could of handled this a lot better and i hope this isn't a sign of things to come from him

Marcus
03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Mushin Muhammed was a Carolina Panther fan favorite and he was released after they were unable to get a trade.

Troy Brown was a New England Patriots fan favorite and he was released without a trade.

Fan favoritism ranks very low on a GM's totem pole when managing a salary cap. The results of the team meetings are becoming very obvious. They have evidently concluded that the lack of a pass rush last season was not the fault of the line, but of the linebacking core.

The fact that the moves that the Texans' staff are making are so "surprising", indicates how little we know about what is going on. I would give my left arm to be a fly on the wall inside those team meetings.

Honoring Earl 34
03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
:ninja: You guys are being to sentimental . Its obvious Capers and Casserly don't believe Sharper and Foreman are vital to get where they want to go . Foreman dropped of the planet last year and I don't believe Sharper is getting any better .

uga_iv
03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Fan favoritism ranks very low on a GM's totem pole when managing a salary cap. The results of the team meetings are becoming very obvious. They have evidently concluded that the lack of a pass rush last season was not the fault of the line, but of the linebacking core.

The fact that the moves that the Texans' staff are making are so "surprising", indicates how little we know about what is going on. I would give my left arm to be a fly on the wall inside those team meetings.

Well said. In addition, Joe Fan complains when changes are made and when the team performs poorly will equally complain about changes that were not made. There is no way for CC, DC and the staff to keep all the fans happy. They (CC & DC) have a strategy and we should sit back and wait and watch. This is a sport for entertainment to the fan, but unfortunately, to the participants it's a business as this event has reminded us.

bckey
03-10-2005, 10:32 AM
geez guys, dont forget me. :BananaWav[/QUOTE]

Or me. :monkey:

I certainly don't know the whole story here but Sharper is still a great player. He is one of the best mlb in the league and he isn't fighting injuries or missing entire seasons to rehab or having a really off year like some players we know. He has been with us from the start and has played his butt off. Sharper even stated that he thought he would spend the rest of his career here and is willing to renegotiate his contract.

TheOgre
03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
How much was Foreman's signing bonus? Doesn't he still have 3 years left (including 2005)?

spence425
03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
word on the street is that sharper will cost a "mid-round pick". i certainly hope it would be better, but yes, i agree that the texans must be targeting either DJ in the draft (by moving up), or somebody else that would be an impact player on defense.

Grid
03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Sharper was on the news last night talking and there are some things he said that yall need to understand.

#1. A trade is not very likely. he isnt getting alot of interest.

#2. He said that he offered to restructure his contract, but that we released him instead.

#3. He said that he wanted to retire a Texan, but that now he wants to be released.

SO.. there is no "why dont we just restructure and keep him".. he will either be released, or traded.

As far as our LB corp goes.. I find it hard to beleive that we decided Sharper wasnt doing his job. I think we released him because we want to redo our LBs.. but also because we figured we could trade him for something. Now we are just going to lose a great LB, and get nothing for it.

nunusguy
03-10-2005, 11:09 AM
I think Sharper made the mistake of not toeing the company line with a remark or 2 he made last year about the teams directions and got into managements doghouse and now can't get out. And I'm not surprised they
can't get more than a mid round pick for him - vets like Jamie just don't
fetch that much in the way of college draft picks.

Tailgate
03-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I think Sharper made the mistake of not toeing the company line with a remark or 2 he made last year about the teams directions and got into managements doghouse and now can't get out. And I'm not surprised they
can't get more than a mid round pick for him - vets like Jamie just don't
fetch that much in the way of college draft picks.

Well then lets get a frickin mid round pick. Outright release is unnacceptable.