PDA

View Full Version : Dunta Robinson, Texans to Part Ways

Pages : [1] 2

indiantexan
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere

From John McClain's twitter
"Spoke with CB Dunta Robinson and he's heard nothing. That tells me they have no plans to franchise him by Feb. 25 deadline."

link: http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/9248900529

HuttoKarl
02-22-2010, 02:30 PM

"Spoke with CB Dunta Robinson and he's heard nothing. That tells me they have no plans to franchise him by Feb. 25 deadline."

Good. Let's keep it that way. Dunta can write "Pay Me, Atlanta GM" on his loafers when he goes in for an interview with them.

El Tejano
02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Think they'll franchise OD? Kind of handle the situation with OD like they did Dunta?

HOU-TEX
02-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Think they'll franchise OD? Kind of handle the situation with OD like they did Dunta?

OD is restricted. No need to franchise him.

El Tejano
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the info.

Hardcore Texan
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM

So is Demeco too I believe so don't need to use it there. Texans don't like to use the franchise tag anyway, I believe D-rob was the first.

So who of our UFA's could garner the tag? Off the top of my head the biggest ufa is Kevin Walter, don't think they would use it there or need it for that matter, I bet he sticks around.

Priority wise for all FA's, I hope to see Demeco and OD locked up soon.....although I know they will drag out the OD thing now because of the injury.

HOU-TEX
02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
So is Demeco too I believe so don't need to use it there. Texans don't like to use the franchise tag anyway, I believe D-rob was the first.

So who of our UFA's could garner the tag? Off the top of my head the biggest ufa is Kevin Walter, don't think they would use it there or need it for that matter, I bet he sticks around.

Priority wise for all FA's, I hope to see Demeco and OD locked up soon.....although I know they will drag out the OD thing now because of the injury.

We actually have several RFA's, with D-Ryans, OD and Pollard being the most notable.

Other than possibly Drob, nobody's really deserving of a tag. Even that could be argued.

DRob was the first to be tagged by the Texans. But IMO, we have never had the talent deserving of one due to being a young team and by a really crappy previous coaching regime.

I'd reeeeaaaaally like to see D-Ryans get locked up with a worthy contract. I'd allow OD and Pollard a "prove it again" year by tendering them

gary
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Keep it that way with Dunta he may kiss my grittes,

TEXANS84
02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Franchise then trade to SD for Cromartie.

NitroGSXR
02-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Why would they tell him? They're under no obligation to do so. Maybe they're just protecting their interests. I definitely would enjoy listening to McClain trying to explain the stories if we franchise him. Dunta would be irked and that to me... is hilariously funny. I love seeing a man be mad about being paid with double digit millions. It makes for good comedy. Friggin' people sometimes.... *shakes head*

That being said, I don't care what we do. Dunta moves on? Fine. If he remains a Texan? Also fine. I just hope the Texans know what they're doing. We need more wins.

Hervoyel
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Why would they tell him? They're under no obligation to do so. Maybe they're just protecting their interests. I definitely would enjoy listening to McClain trying to explain the stories if we franchise him. Dunta would be irked and that to me... is hilariously funny. I love seeing a man be mad about being paid with double digit millions. It makes for good comedy. Friggin' people sometimes.... *shakes head*

That being said, I don't care what we do. Dunta moves on? Fine. If he remains a Texan? Also fine. I just hope the Texans know what they're doing. We need more wins.

That mostly describes how I feel about "The Dunta Situation" but I am a little worried what effect Robinson will have on the team if they try to keep him against his will. He is one of the few Texans to not only be in a position to cause a disruption but also be entirely capable of it. I just think that if he wants to leave it's best to let him leave. Get something in return if you can but let him leave.

But if they choose to keep him and he's not going to be a distraction then that's cool.

ToxicButt
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Dunta was previously quoted as saying he would not mind if the Texans franchised him.

Is there any other way that he would be kept here against his will?

Goatcheese
02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Dunta was previously quoted as saying he would not mind if the Texans franchised him.

Is there any other way that he would be kept here against his will?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3710707&section=magazine

That's one way you could hold him against his will. :thinking:

playa465
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3710707&section=magazine

That's one way you could hold him against his will. :thinking:

I know ur joking but using this was in very bad taste :thumbdown

Wolf
02-23-2010, 06:49 PM
i'd like to get held against my will for 12 million for about 9 months :kitten:

TexCanada
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM

The truth is in bad taste?

m5kwatts
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM

Haha no one died so its ok, I thought it was hilarious

CloakNNNdagger
02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
No talks with Dunta yet

Ok, I promise.

TheRealJoker
02-23-2010, 10:55 PM
He'd be a very good # 2 CB but is just not a # 1 CB and therefore should not be paid as such. Unfortunately, we've yet to find someone better than him since Aaron Glenn was cut after his rookie year so if we keep him its gonna be for more than he's worth.

0 INTs last season SHOULD be a tough sell for Dunta's agent. Its not like teams were completely avoiding him either... VY bounced one off his chest on MNF!!!

GP
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Dunta.

I think I have heard of the guy.

Is he the guy with the special shoes?

Oh, OK. Yeah, I remember him now.

Wait. What position does he play? I think he's that guy I remember from a few years back, but maybe I have him confused with another guy.

Yeah, put me down as Could Care Less.

m5kwatts
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I think if the organization thought Dunta was still a #1 CB they'd be franchising him or discussing a long-term deal

It looks as if the organization thinks he's lost a step or two or three and that he's not even an upgrade to Reeves or Quinn at this point...

This draft being ULTRA deep in CBs (starters can be found even in the 3rd-5th round range) doesn't help Dunta either

My prediction:
We let Dunta walk, Reeves & Quinn become the de facto starters, McCain slides to the nickel and we draft a CB or two and roll the dice and hope one outplays what we already have

Lucky
02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
...let Dunta walk, Reeves & Quinn become the de facto starters, McCain slides to the nickel and we draft a CB or two and roll the dice and hope one outplays what we already have
That's fine. Go with 3 CBs in their 1st or 2nd year. I just don't want to hear the "The Texans are young and building" excuse. Again. Choosing rookies over vets should not earn another...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/2007/06/07/get_out_of_jail_free_card_small.jpg

steelbtexan
02-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I still have high expectations for Molden.

Drafting a CB in Rds1-3 probably will happen.

How high will depend on if they think the CB drafted is an upgrade over what is already on the roster at CB. (Wilson)

Versus how big an upgrade at interior OL (Iupati) or RB (Spiller/Dwyer)

Smithiak will draft whichever position that helps contribute to winning the fastest. IMHO

BTW Duntas gone, be sure to take your shoes with you

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 01:43 AM
I still have high expectations for Molden.

Drafting a CB in Rds1-3 probably will happen.

How high will depend on if they think the CB drafted is an upgrade over what is already on the roster at CB. (Wilson)

Versus how big an upgrade at interior OL (Iupati) or RB (Spiller/Dwyer)

Smithiak will draft whichever position that helps contribute to winning the fastest. IMHO

BTW Duntas gone, be sure to take your shoes with you

I think Molden will be lucky to make the team outta camp...

Rick Smith seems to have a knack for finding value DBs in the draft, I trust he'll find one in the 3rd-7th rounds

I agree, we'll draft who ever contributes to winning soonest. But I also think it'll be a lineman (either side of the ball) in the first round.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2010, 08:48 AM
It's not quite like hearing it straight from the team, but...

NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday that the Houston Texans have decided not to place the franchise tag on cornerback Dunta Robinson, which means he will become an unrestricted free agent and will sign elsewhere.

LINK (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100224-dunta-robinson-houston-texans)

Drew_Smoke
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
That doesn't mean they won't try to sign him...yet.

BullNation4Life
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
That doesn't mean they won't try to sign him...yet.

According to John McClain this morning, Texans will not tag Robinson and all negotiations have been closed, thus Robinson will become a free agent in March.

He said it was on Chron.com but didn't see the story just yet...

nero THE zero
02-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Lance was saying on 1560 this morning that there's no pressing desire from the Texans' defensive staff to keep him around.

Blake
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Link seems busted.

I am sad to hear that, but not shocked. We will see what he is worth in the open market I guess, but I doubt the Texans bid.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Link seems busted.

Fixed (for now anyway).

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
He's pretty damn delusional in his own self worth. I really wonder how much he'll get on the open market, and if he'll ever play like he did pre injury.

But, my thought is good riddance... Later Willie!

dalemurphy
02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
He had 0 interceptions and went from being our best tackling DB in previous seasons to the worst tackling DB on the team when Bennett and Busing weren't in the game. I'm glad to see that they aren't overestimating his value. Hopefully the plan to replace him involves something more than hoping Molden stays healthy or Fred Bennett improves.

Cjeremy635
02-24-2010, 09:18 AM
He had 0 interceptions and went from being our best tackling DB in previous seasons to the worst tackling DB on the team when Bennett and Busing weren't in the game. I'm glad to see that they aren't overestimating his value. Hopefully the plan to replace him involves something more than hoping Molden stays healthy or Fred Bennett improves.

This......

Thorn
02-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Looks like the CB position just moved up in the Texans FA/draft wish list. Not that any of us are very surprised by this.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 09:20 AM

For those two it's a longshot. Bennett didn't even dress for a couple games this year and molden can't get on the field cause he's injured so much. We need to bring in a free agent or draft a cb. It's an absolute must too IMO.

TEXANS84
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Lance was saying on 1560 this morning that there's no pressing desire from the Texans' defensive staff to keep him around.

After the declining play the past few seasons, especially last season there is no way I would have kept him around for the money he was robbing this francise of.

He never was the same CB after he got moved to the #1 spot. Aaron Glenn made him look good his rookie season.

DeMarCushPoll
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Assuming that Dunta will not be back, I would think drafting a corner will become top priority.

HoustonFrog
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
According to John McClain this morning, Texans will not tag Robinson and all negotiations have been closed, thus Robinson will become a free agent in March.

He said it was on Chron.com but didn't see the story just yet...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6882589.html

Of course McClain was the one right after the season that proclaimed Dunta had a great season and was a top CB in the league until someone showed him the stats.

Blake
02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Looks like the CB position just moved up in the Texans FA/draft wish list. Not that any of us are very surprised by this.

Or we could try to fill that in FA, instead of locking in our draft board.

Section516
02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't of minded keeping him for a fair price. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing him go. I wish i could feel confidence in the next man up though..

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
For those two it's a longshot. Bennett didn't even dress for a couple games this year and molden can't get on the field cause he's injured so much. We need to bring in a free agent or draft a cb. It's an absolute must too IMO.

This is the only thing that bothers me about him leaving. Now that we're not bringing Dunta back it's going to force the CB position to be more of a priority over DT, FS, C/G, etc. this off-season.

They like Quin and McCain's decent, but as a #2? Jacque 'Don't Look Back' Reeves is NOT the answer as our #2 or possibly even nickel back. To me, Molden and Bennett aren't even in the picture.

In the end, I wish Dunta well. Other than the one bad move last off-season, he was a good guy and I liked him.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Or we could try to fill that in FA, instead of locking in our draft board.

Like who? FA's a joke this year due to the CBA. Unless we give up picks for a RFA I don't see anyone out there that would be an upgrade over Dunta.

Section516
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
To me, it seemed he got over it and started to play ball..not the best of ball, but his knee did do a 180...

Blake
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't of minded keeping him for a fair price. On the other hand, I don't mind seeing him go. I wish i could feel confidence in the next man up though..

Thats why they couldnt franchise him. He would have costed what he cost last year +20% which is crazy money for him. And I think Dunta might feel he is worth more than what he actually is worth.

So the Texans will let him test the FA waters and we can make a bid that is in line with other teams offers, that is probably waaaay lower than what he wants from us right now.

BigBull17
02-24-2010, 09:49 AM

All I have to say is thank God he turned down the contract we offered him last offseason.

Blake
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
So for the people who are glad that Dunta is gone, who are you going to put on the opositions best WR? Dunta was the best thing we had to an all around corner #1. Now you either have to go out and overspend in FA, or use your first round pick on a CB really limiting your draft plans.

Dread-Head
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I like the guy.

HoustonFrog
02-24-2010, 10:03 AM
So for the people who are glad that Dunta is gone, who are you going to put on the opositions best WR? Dunta was the best thing we had to an all around corner #1. Now you either have to go out and overspend in FA, or use your first round pick on a CB really limiting your draft plans.

I don't think it limits your draft needs. They need more CBs to start and knew this might happen. So you still have the need for CB, FS, RB and DT. All were options in the first few rounds. I think starting fresh there isn't a bad thing. You don't need a guy like Dunta trying to make every big hit and whiffing in coverage. You need a guy who is solid and who won't get burned. The D has more talent where solid play and keeping guys underneath is just as important.

As far as Dunta, I'm glad his act is gone but he did do one thing right...tell the public what we already knew about TQBWSBN

infantrycak
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Like who? FA's a joke this year due to the CBA. Unless we give up picks for a RFA I don't see anyone out there that would be an upgrade over Dunta.

Pretty much Leigh Bodden is the only FA out there.

Section516
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't think it limits your draft needs. They need more CBs to start and knew this might happen. So you still have the need for CB, FS, RB and DT. All were options in the first few rounds. I think starting fresh there isn't a bad thing. You don't need a guy like Dunta trying to make every big hit and whiffing in coverage. You need a guy who is solid and who won't get burned. the D has more talent where solid play and keeping guys underneath is just as important.

As far as Dunta, I'm glad his act is gone but he did do one thing right...tell the public what we already knew about TQBWSBN

We also need C, G for the RB to run behind. We have to retool the line. Don't put the cart before the horse, no RB is made of magic, they don't create the holes, they just find/run through them

Section516
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM

And there's reports he will be resigning with the pat's.

Leigh Bodden, who is one of the top cornerbacks scheduled for unrestricted free agency, has re-hired his former agent Alvin Keels.

The change shouldn't have a major impact when it comes to the possibility of the Patriots re-signing Bodden. It could have if the Patriots and Bodden's former agent had advanced talks, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Keels had negotiated Bodden's one-year, $2.25 million contract with the Patriots in 2009, a deal which included a provision that the team could not assign the franchise tag to Bodden in 2010. The idea was that Bodden could re-establish himself in New England and then set himself up for a market-value contract.

The Patriots had also offered Bodden a longer-term contract at the time.

So in that sense, with Bodden re-hiring Keels, the sides could potentially pick up where they left off last year on the talks regarding a longer-term deal.

Bodden had a solid season for the Patriots in 2009, leading the club with 17 passes defensed, playing 82 percent of the defensive snaps, and tying for the team lead with five interceptions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4675120/bodden-re-hires-former-agent

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been saying since last year that Dunta was done here. I don't think he could have been any more clear in his response to being tagged last year. From day one he turned down a generous contract offer that nobody in their right mind would have walked away from assuming a similar post-injury situation. Then he turns around and acts like a complete asshat over the injustice of being paid stupid money for a year, sits out of camp (showing terrible judgement and making himself look like a cancer in the process) ensuring that he'd start the season behind the curve and out of playing shape. The cherry on top is that over the course of the entire season he proved conclusively that he wasn't even close to being the player he was prior to his injury.

What's the saying about life being even harder if you're stupid? From here on out I'm calling that "Dunta's Law".

I am surprised that the Texans don't seem interested in making him any kind of offer at all though. I mean, he did play lousy last year but I always thought that the only people more impressed with Dunta than Dunta were the Houston Texans brain trust (old and new). Clearly the bloom is off that relationship now. Dunta will get more than he's worth from somebody but thankfully it won't be us now. I just think that there's got to be some way to leverage his departure into some kind of return, however small for us.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Re: Dunta Robinson, Texans to Part Ways

*Dances a jig*

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Now that I think about it maybe letting Dunta go is part of the plan to bring the apparently now available Nnamdi Asomugha. I mean, if you're going to pay stupid money for a CB you might as well pay for the best and get one who actually is a Pro Bowl CB instead of one who just thinks he is.

Dunta goes away, Nnamdi comes to town. We start Nnamdi & Quin or Reeves depending on who wins that battle and we're back to just looking for depth.

Never happen I know. Still fun to think about.

WesmanTexanfan
02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Was my favorite player at one point, man hes come along way since then, adios brotha!

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Yeah, but he's not any better than what we had with Dunta. So we're basically going to be stuck using a high pick on a rookie CB, which to me, is kind of frustrating.

Now, if we were to miraculously shore up one of our other needs via FA with what's out there, it might not be so frustrating. Like...oh, say getting Antrel Rolle to come here as our FS. I know, I dreaming

disaacks3
02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
This is the only thing that bothers me about him leaving. Now that we're not bringing Dunta back it's going to force the CB position to be more of a priority over DT, FS, C/G, etc. this off-season.

They like Quin and McCain's decent, but as a #2? Jacque 'Don't Look Back' Reeves is NOT the answer as our #2 or possibly even nickel back. To me, Molden and Bennett aren't even in the picture.

In the end, I wish Dunta well. Other than the one bad move last off-season, he was a good guy and I liked him. Yep, that's the part that bugs me too. As there doesn't appear to be much available in FA, we HAVE to shore up the CB position in the draft.

Maybe the Texans can find that franchise DT in the first round this year....oh wait...

:runaway:

Section516
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Now that I think about it maybe letting Dunta go is part of the plan to bring the apparently now available Nnamdi Asomugha. I mean, if you're going to pay stupid money for a CB you might as well pay for the best and get one who actually is a Pro Bowl CB instead of one who just thinks he is.

Dunta goes away, Nnamdi comes to town. We start Nnamdi & Quin or Reeves depending on who wins that battle and we're back to just looking for depth.

Never happen I know. Still fun to think about.

Hey, Its an uncapped year..

Jackie Chiles
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Was watching some Sports Center this morning and they had a little blurb about him not being franchised. They temporarily had his name spelled Duanta which I got a kick out of. Guess I can't complain too much though, probably 20% of our own fan base spells his name that way or worse.

HoustonFrog
02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
We also need C, G for the RB to run behind. We have to retool the line. Don't put the cart before the horse, no RB is made of magic, they don't create the holes, they just find/run through them

I never said they did. I just said it was a need that they have talked about addressing in the earlier rounds.

Texan JBZ
02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
See ya Dumbta! How far has this guy fallen in the eyes of the fans of the Texans? This guy was at one time my favorite player to watch on the Texans by far. I loved the way he played the game with tenacity and aggressiveness. His downfall is that he attacked everything in his life with those same traits when a little tact would have been better. Some team out there will overpay for him. It's the NFL. I wish him the best, but this is a good move by the team (I hope).

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Ok pal, don't go spreading your bullshit propaganda in here. I have it on good authority that Earl Campbell was 72.9% "magic" and the rest was made of cast iron.

That's in the history books. Look it up. :superman:

Joe Texan
02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Would the Texans let him sell himself to another team, Said team comes in says we will pay you $700,000, not sure what his minumum is. after that can the Texans come back to offer $800,000 or is that a restricted Free agent.

If it were me I would have fired his ass after the PAY ME RICK incident

texanskan
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
this is a big mistake, now we have yet another hole to fill

houstonspartan
02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I wish Dunta the best. He never wanted to be here. He wants to be with a legitimate football team that's going to win RIGHT NOW.

Thing is, he's going to feel like a moron when he realizes WE are that team.

Blake
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I wish Dunta the best. He never wanted to be here. He wants to be with a legitimate football team that's going to win RIGHT NOW.

Thing is, he's going to feel like a moron when he realizes WE are that team.

How dare he! lol

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
thanks to Dunta for being a dumbass greedy bastard
thanks to McNair for being a cheapass greedy bastard

does this team even want to win? dunta doesn't deserve top money but to franchise him another year wouldn't have hurt. low risk but mcnair is too cheap to do that. he only pays top dollar for scrubs like Carr and Weaver and Greenwood. if Dunta was named David Carr he would have gotten a lifetime extension

houstonspartan
02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
How dare he! lol

LOL. Yeah. Personally, I'm so happy the guy is gone I feel like I've won the lottery. I think he's a loser, and a phony. He totally blew it with the fan base with his act last year.

As I said, I really wish him well in getting to the contending team that he wants to play on. If you're not happy playing in a city/on a team, then you should do what you need to do to make yourself happy.

Dunta was tired of being a Texan. He no longer is one.

It's over.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 11:05 AM
To franchise him would've meant that he made ~$22 million in two seasons. That would be a dumbass business decision by anyone.

Good riddance to an average - overpaid corner. I'll take my chances with Quinn and Reeves.

I just wrote on my shoes: "Leave us Dunta"! :kitten:

houstonspartan
02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
To franchise him would've meant that he made ~$22 million in two seasons. That would be a dumbass business decision by anyone.

Good riddance to an average - overpaid corner. I'll take my chances with Quinn and Reeves.

I agree.

Richard Justice just wrote that the Texans bungled the negotiaions. I don't agree with that at all. I think the Texans handled Dunta just right. Justice said the Texans basically should have gotten on their knees and begged Dunta to get to camp, at any costs.

Thing is, we're no longer a "begging" franchise. We don't have to overpay free agents and we dont' have to cross our fingers and hope that player X will want to play here. We're past that as a franchise.

If you want to play here, fine. If you don't, fine.

TEXANS84
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Here's a good photoshop opportunity.

http://www.timesnewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dunta-robinson-shoes.jpg

stevn8r
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok pal, don't go spreading your bullshit propaganda in here. I have it on good authority that Earl Campbell was 72.9% "magic" and the rest was made of cast iron.

That's in the history books. Look it up. :superman:

You are wrong! I just looked it up and he used his magic to win a beer chugging contest last week so he is at 73.2% now.....What a man!

record
02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Good decision by the Texans.

Although he played better towards the end of the season, he was horrible for the most part. I seem to remember ALOT more pass interfences, missed tackles, and wide open WRs running against him then I remember his passes defended, tackles made, and INTs last season. I felt his poor play, and bad attitude, was part of the reason for the Texans falling short of the playoffs. The money that was to be spent on him can be much better utilized on an under the radar free agent DB who will perform much better.

chicagotexan2
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Drob was one of my favorite palyers, but last season really soured me on him. I commend him for coming back from the injury, but he looked like an ass and a whiner after not accepting what seemed like a good deal. He didn't have a good season and I hope our current cb's step it up. They played better than he did. Pay Ryans & Daniels like the top tier players they are. They have shown that they are deserving.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Dont forget:

The Colts just went to the Super Bowl with a 3rd rounder and an undrafted guy as their starting CBs, and they found those 2 in a relatively weak CB draft

This CB draft class is mega deep which is one of the main reasons why I think they were confident in letting him go.

We can find Dunta's replacement in the 3rd-7th rounds and not have to change our draft or FA plans going forward because of that fact. Besides we were going to draft a DB or two anyways, even if Dunta was staying.

Also this makes it easier to keep our own UFA's Walter, Pitts, OD, and Demeco.

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
You are wrong! I just looked it up and he used his magic to win a beer chugging contest last week so he is at 73.2% now.....What a man!

My figures only covered Earl's playing days. The relative percentage of magic vs. cast iron may have changed in the years since he retired. Earl might have become more magical or possibly tougher and we'd have no way of knowing that since the NFL no longer monitors him (for the safety of other players).

Mailman
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM

does this team even want to win? dunta doesn't deserve top money but to franchise him another year wouldn't have hurt. low risk but mcnair is too cheap to do that. he only pays top dollar for scrubs like Carr and Weaver and Greenwood. if Dunta was named David Carr he would have gotten a lifetime extension

Typical SH, typical wrong.

Dunta Robinson is nowhere close to a top-five cornerback. You want the team to win by dramatically overpaying an average-at-best CB instead of using that money elsewhere? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

ATXtexanfan
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
It always seemed like dunta gave up the first down. Wasn't a playmaker and not worth the money. Good bye. Use the money elsewhere. On our other Fa's or bringing in new FA's.

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Last year Dunta was just kind of "wrong" all year. It's like almost every decision he made since returning after his injury was wrong and/or poorly thought out. On the field he never looked like the guy he wanted to be paid like and who we kind of thought of him as. He took bad angles more frequently, he seemed to be good for one heartbreaking ill-timed penalty a week during long stretches of the season. He seemed to me to be hesitant to hit for most of the game and then he'd kind of cherry pick a moment to pop somebody, often not at the best time. Even if he does return to a higher level of play (and I think he will because some of that stink last year looked ot me like a guy sandbagging a bit) I think he was done here and he knew it.

It's like he didn't look "natural" anymore. He didn't look like he was playing the game in some kind of groove. He seemed to be overthinking what he was doing sometimes and at others he looked like he wasn't paying that much attention at all.

stevn8r
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Here's a good photoshop opportunity

Here you go!
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/stevn8r/dunta-robinson-shoescopy.jpg

BigBull17
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM

You're talking about paying an average at best CB 10+ million a year. If we franchised him again, we would be fools. He is in no way worth near that money. Use it to lock up Meco and OD.

RagingBull
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Here you go!

Rep your way!

TEXANS84
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
^
What would make it complete is a yellow pass-interference flag laying on the ground.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Here you go!

Repped!!

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
You're talking about paying an average at best CB 10+ million a year. If we franchised him again, we would be fools. He is in no way worth near that money. Use it to lock up Meco and OD.

This ^^^^^

infantrycak
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, but he's not any better than what we had with Dunta. So we're basically going to be stuck using a high pick on a rookie CB, which to me, is kind of frustrating.

I'd say Bodden would be a significant upgrade. Bodden allowed completions on 50% of targets v. 66% for Dunta. He gave up 2 TD's v. Dunta's 3 but also had 5 INTs compared to Dunta's 0. QB rating when Bodden targeted 59.3 v. 99.6 for Dunta. 4 penalties and 48 tackles v. 8 penalties and 52 tackles. If he hits the market we should at least talk to him.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd say Bodden would be a significant upgrade. Bodden allowed completions on 50% of targets v. 66% for Dunta. He gave up 2 TD's v. Dunta's 3 but also had 5 INTs compared to Dunta's 0. QB rating when Bodden targeted 59.3 v. 99.6 for Dunta. 4 penalties and 48 tackles v. 8 penalties and 52 tackles. If he hits the market we should at least talk to him.

No way, we can find CBs better than Bodden and Dunta in the 3rd round this year

gwallaia
02-24-2010, 12:04 PM

You can be expecting a fine from Commissioner Goodell.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
you can be expecting a fine from commissioner goodell.

crap!!!

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Well, since you put it this way. lol

Honestly though, in a season skimpy in FA, will we spend what it'll take to get him here? I dunno, but I reckon there's a team or two out there that will over-spend for Bodden...and Dunta.

infantrycak
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
No way, we can find CBs better than Bodden and Dunta in the 3rd round this year

Nothing saying you don't do both.

stevn8r
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
^
What would make it complete is a yellow pass-interference flag laying on the ground.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc27/stevn8r/pflagshoes.jpg

not very clean but the best I can do while at work!!! :kitten:

BullNation4Life
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Bottom line to all this is, if Dunta Robinson wanted to play in Houston, TX, he would have signed the $23 million guaranteed money. He is getting what he wants so let him lay in the bed he made...

He will be the next Nate Clements, got paid and never heard from again....

nero THE zero
02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Should be high drama next season when we play the Titans led by ex-Longhron VY and ex-Texan CB Dunta Robinson.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Was watching some Sports Center this morning and they had a little blurb about him not being franchised. They temporarily had his name spelled Duanta which I got a kick out of. Guess I can't complain too much though, probably 20% of our own fan base spells his name that way or worse.

Bottom line to all this is, if Daunta Robinson wanted to play in Houston, TX, he would have signed the $23 million guaranteed money. He is getting what he wants so let him lay in the bed he made...

He will be the next Nate Clements, got paid and never heard from again....

:whistle:

BullNation4Life
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Should be high drama next season when we play the Titans led by ex-Longhron VY and ex-Texan CB Dunta Robinson.

I bet Cortland Finnegan would absolutely love for Robinson to go to Tennessee, that way Andre Johnson can abuse Robinson instead of Finnegan and quite making Finnegan look like a hack....

AJ against Finnegan :slapfight: = (AJ:yahoo::texflag:) Finnegan:crutch:

HuttoKarl
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM

There was a hole to fill with him on the team too. Addition by subtraction.

Brisco_County
02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Dunta may have been worth $23 million guaranteed to the Texans three or four years ago, but now we have options. I'm sure there's a team out there that has a need for him, are willing to pay that price, and will eventually suffer disappointment.

And Earl Thomas just moved to the top of my wish list.

IlliniJen
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Keep it that way with Dunta he may kiss my grittes,

While he's kissing your grits, send him my way and he can kiss my grits.

In fact, I'm going to write on the bottom of my shoe: "Hey Dunta, kiss my grits!"

Joe Texan
02-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I quit reading after I saw Richard Justice

I agree.

Richard Justice just wrote that the Texans bungled the negotiaions. I don't agree with that at all. I think the Texans handled Dunta just right. Justice said the Texans basically should have gotten on their knees and begged Dunta to get to camp, at any costs.

Thing is, we're no longer a "begging" franchise. We don't have to overpay free agents and we dont' have to cross our fingers and hope that player X will want to play here. We're past that as a franchise.

If you want to play here, fine. If you don't, fine.

Joe Texan
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
yea I noticed those grass stains on the cleets

GP
02-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I have a really good one if I can somehow send the jpeg to someone here, via Private Message or something?

How can I do that?

HoustonFrog
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
This is before the end of season but I remember some posts on here and in the Chron and they were talked about on here. I think this was right before Christmas. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Dunta was the 96th ranked cornerback in the league. At that same juncture Dunta Robinson had 52 tackles, 43 solo(33rd for CB's) 9 Passes defensed(tied for 44th in the league) 0 INT's/1 FF. Glover Quin had more tackles, more solo tackles, and the same amount of passes defensed as Dunta.

No way that guy is worth the money.

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm just waiting to see who decides to step up and "White Knight" Dunta now.

I know it's coming, I just don't know which poster it will be.

El Tejano
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Dont forget:

The Colts just went to the Super Bowl with a 3rd rounder and an undrafted guy as their starting CBs, and they found those 2 in a relatively weak CB draft

This CB draft class is mega deep which is one of the main reasons why I think they were confident in letting him go.

We can find Dunta's replacement in the 3rd-7th rounds and not have to change our draft or FA plans going forward because of that fact. Besides we were going to draft a DB or two anyways, even if Dunta was staying.

Also this makes it easier to keep our own UFA's Walter, Pitts, OD, and Demeco.

Funny you mention the Colts. Have you ever noticed how The Colts staff comes to talk to Dunta after a game with us? I even recall a coach coming over to him one time telling him he was a hell of a player.

My money is on The Colts picking him up and us paying for it bad. Not because he's that good but because we are a Houston franchise.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Funny you mention the Colts. Have you ever noticed how The Colts staff comes to talk to Dunta after a game with us? I even recall a coach coming over to him one time telling him he was a hell of a player.

My money is on The Colts picking him up and us paying for it bad. Not because he's that good but because we are a Houston franchise.

Why would they pay him when they have cheaper and arguably better options on their roster already? This is ridiculous and wouldn't fit the Colts MO at all.

RagingBull
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
No matter what, Dunta is gonna come out ahead. With the 10M he robbed the Texans for he only needs to get 13 guaranteed to come out ahead of the offer they gave him last year. Even if no one pays him 23M, I am certain he will get >13M. So I guess we can say Dunta is a very good businessman and a very poor corner. Go figure.

BullNation4Life
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles

:whistle:

Thank you spell check nazi....:gun:

infantrycak
02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Don't forget there are some odd restrictions on the final eight and final four teams in the playoffs with regard to free agents. I think the Colts can only sign a free agent after they lose one and the contract can't be any bigger than the one they lost.

Norg
02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
CB is #1 pirority now this off season playing the colts twice with our current CB squad = Peyton lighting us ablaze

Goatcheese
02-24-2010, 02:05 PM
This is before the end of season but I remember some posts on here and in the Chron and they were talked about on here. I think this was right before Christmas. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Dunta was the 96th ranked cornerback in the league. At that same juncture Dunta Robinson had 52 tackles, 43 solo(33rd for CB's) 9 Passes defensed(tied for 44th in the league) 0 INT's/1 FF. Glover Quin had more tackles, more solo tackles, and the same amount of passes defensed as Dunta.

Nevermind unimportant things like Robinson giving up 25% fewer yards per snap than Quin. I guess it's okay to get torched as long as you make a few flashy plays and pile up the tackle numbers after you give up a catch. :rolleyes:

No way that guy is worth the money.

No real argument there.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 02:05 PM
CB is #1 pirority now this off season playing the colts twice with our current CB squad = Peyton lighting us ablaze

One corner isn't gonna help that, it takes the whole unit to beat Manning. I like the 4th and 6th rounders we got last year, I trust Rick Smith in finding more value CBs in this draft.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you spell check nazi....:gun:

Nope, I'm not one that usually calls people out for spelling errors. I just thought it was funny.

He's only been with the Texans for about 7 years, so I can understand how one could misspell his name. :fingergun:

JB
02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
This is how I will remember Dunta's play if someone were to mention him...

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/sanjacal/dunta.jpg?t=1267039396

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Nope, I'm not one that usually calls people out for spelling errors. I just thought it was funny.

He's only been with the Texans for about 7 years, so I can understand how one could misspell his name. :fingergun:

6 years, but who's counting? :runaway:

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
6 years, but who's counting? :runaway:

Counting nazi! :foottap:

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Anyone remember this game?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/487677.jpg

It was the game that Dunta got burned to allow the Titans to kick Bironas' record setting 8th field goal.... for the win.

Hardcore Texan
02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone remember this game?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/48/487677.jpg

It was the game that Dunta got burned to allow the Titans to kick Bironas' record setting 8th field goal.... for the win.

Yes I do, I was there what an emotional roller coaster that game was. To be fair that pass that put the titans in FG range was perfect execution IIRC, there was nothing that Dunta could have done, he was all over the receiver, I couldn't believe it was a completion. However, I am sure he was burned a few other times during that game.

jaayteetx
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM

He hasn't done that to us and just about every other team in the past?

Brisco_County
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM

That happened with Robinson on the field too. We're no more vulnerable with his absence.

The silver lining I see around our historically miserable DB situation is that Rick Smith has been unrelenting in addressing it, and it is slowly improving. He's made good decisions (Quin), and unfruitful ones (Molden), but I feel his decision for Robinson is correct, and the need will be addressed in the draft.

HoustonFrog
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Nevermind unimportant things like Robinson giving up 25% fewer yards per snap than Quin. I guess it's okay to get torched as long as you make a few flashy plays and pile up the tackle numbers after you give up a catch. :rolleyes:

No real argument there.

So your one stat trumps all my stats and my source? I'm not even sure of the source of your 25%. Maybe Quin gives a little bigger cushion and doesn't get burned as much. The point you missed completely is that Quin had similar or better stats in areas and yet Dunta is allegedly this top corner. BTW, profootballfocus uses a ton of things to come up with their rankings. Reeves was 41st, Quinn 74th and Dunta 98 to end the year. Those include these stats...

Dunta 594 yards, 11.0 average per game, 180 yards after catch and 3 TDs
Quin 587 yards, 11.5 average per game, 241 yards after catch and 1 TD.

So where is the big difference?

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

imatexan
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I will miss seeing number 23 on the field with his big smile and dreads bouncing behind him.

This adds a BIG NEED at CB now.

I think next season which ever team he plays for he will have a good season and have a decent amount of picks.

I guess at least I got to see him lay one more of those Dunta hits that I love to watch against the Pats in his final game.

He did some stupid stuff last year but he is still a good player and will be missed, I wish him luck wherever he goes.

Now I do not think that just drafting a CB is going to cut it, we need to draft a CB and sign a play maker type of CB in the FA market!

GP
02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/dunta_shoes_flag.jpg

ATXtexanfan
02-24-2010, 03:11 PM
This is how I will remember Dunta's play if someone were to mention him...

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/sanjacal/dunta.jpg?t=1267039396

whos that who smoked dunta? not saying anything just saying

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
So your one stat trumps all my stats and my source? I'm not even sure of the source of your 25%. Maybe Quin gives a little bigger cushion and doesn't get burned as much. The point you missed completely is that Quin had similar or better stats in areas and yet Dunta is allegedly this top corner. BTW, profootballfocus uses a ton of things to come up with their rankings. Reeves was 41st, Quinn 74th and Dunta 98 to end the year. Those include these stats...

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

The price tag. :)

Yankee_In_TX
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM

My boy Teddy.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9664/injury300kh1.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/i/injury300kh1.jpg/)

JB
02-24-2010, 03:31 PM

My boy Teddy.

Just one of many...

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Quick... Name a good play that Dunta made during the 2009 season.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Anyone???

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Anyone???

:cricket:

JB
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Anyone???

:cricket:

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/sanjacal/lmao.jpg?t=1267045160

barrett
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Forced a fumble against Jax to keep us in the game.

painekiller
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM

He was already a hole. He was a seive in the intermediate pass game. Solid against the run, and average at best at the rest. Has been since his 2nd year.

barrett
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Having said that, I noticed on TC's fanhouse post that she used the image of him getting beat by Kenny Britt against the tacks. It's appropriate that she used that image. It's one of the ones that really represents why many fans will be glad to see him go. He got burned by a rookie on a simple route in a critical situation. As you know, I've watched and re-watched the games and I am in the camp that feels like he played like one of the worst corners on the team last year. HOWEVER, I am also in the camp that wishes we could have kept him for another year no matter the cost. It's not my money so it's easy for me to say that but I believe it would have made sense to draft someone and give them a year of insurance with #23 as a starter. He did, after all improve from week to week. (It's not saying much but it's still the case.) I am mostly disappointed that we move CB to the top of our priority list most likely and I feel like the team would have enjoyed the luxury of flexibility as it pertains to our needs in the first 3 rounds. Now we probably have a much more clear need at that position.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Forced a fumble against Jax to keep us in the game.

Okay, there's one. Tell me that came off the top of the dome man. Or did you have to research it?

Any others?

Actually, if I had the time I would research how many plays the good corners in the league made this year. Or, in a nutshell, how they EARNED their pay.

barrett
02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Literally looked up and saw it in his highlight reel on NFLN.

Blake
02-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Nnamdi Asomugha

TCKL34
SCK0.0
FF0
INT1

Dunta Robinson

TCKL64
SCK0.0
FF1
INT--

Im not sayin, just sayin.

JB
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha

TCKL34
SCK0.0
FF0
INT1

Dunta Robinson

TCKL64
SCK0.0
FF1
INT--

you are comparing two different types of bricks...

one is gold, the other is shyte!

painekiller
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Bodden is top 14, pay him the $12M, offer him the big contract.

Only FA in the top 30.

HuttoKarl
02-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha

TCKL34
SCK0.0
FF0
INT1

Dunta Robinson

TCKL64
SCK0.0
FF1
INT--

Aso was thrown at 29 times total.
Dunta....54.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Aso was thrown at 29 times total.
Dunta....54.

Hutto's just sayin...

TimeKiller
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I've wanted him gone and so here it is and I don't know how to feel about it really.

They have to draft a CB and make a legitimate effort for a FS. Wilson would make excellent depth at S. The secondary didn't just lose it's best player which is Pollard but it did lose a starter. Have to dedicate some money or some high draft picks to fixing the 2ndary...the front 7 is turning the corner even with the weakness at DT.

Quin - Draft/FA - Pollard - 1st round pick
nickel- reeves
dime-mccain
bench warmer- bennett
ir list warmer- molden

beerlover
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm bummed :rake:

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical SH, typical wrong.

Dunta Robinson is nowhere close to a top-five cornerback. You want the team to win by dramatically overpaying an average-at-best CB instead of using that money elsewhere? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

how am i wrong? you have an opportunity to retain a player that started for your team and was the #1 corner. yes, it would be expensive, but you wouldn't be on the hook for the future or a long term deal.

its obvious you have been living in a hole in the ground because you are talking about spending the money elsewhere. McNair has already said that they don't expect to make any big moves in free agency.....so do the math, Einstein. That means we won't be getting anyone with the money that Bob saved to replace him or improve other spots on our team.

so its pure logic. let me spell it out.

we lost one of our better players, albeit a much maligned player since Pay Me Rick, and we got nothing for him and are now without our #1 corner. we aren't going to replace him with anyone because HE IS THE #1 GUY OUT THERE AVAILABLE. how does that help us?

sometimes I think some of these fans think that the salary cap is like the boogieman or that you are spending your own money on Dunta.

Bob saved some money and didn't improve the team and doesn't intend to spend the money saved on anyone else. how is that good?

but yeah, im wrong. we lose our #1 corner and somehow that is a good move....freakin lunacy.

Blake
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Hutto's just sayin...

Just admit that yall are more mad at Dunta for making 9.5 million this season, and making a big fuss last offseason, than you are mad at him for his overall play and we will be done with this.

barrett
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Just admit that yall are more mad at Dunta for making 9.5 million this season, and making a big fuss last offseason, than you are mad at him for his overall play and we will be done with this.

brilliant. thank you.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM

OD? coming off an injury? why lock up guys who can be RFA'ed. This isn't Boy Scouts. Its the NFL.

pay the guys you need to pay to retain them and give the other guys money when they are entitled to it.

not rocket science.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM

I just really don't see the worth man, period. Like I said, the guy wants top money and isn't worth it. This is a business matter, correct?

HuttoKarl
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm mad at Dunta for making an issue about only getting 10 million a year for playing like a league minimum depth player...good riddance.

Blake
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
how am i wrong? you have an opportunity to retain a player that started for your team and was the #1 corner. yes, it would be expensive, but you wouldn't be on the hook for the future or a long term deal.

its obvious you have been living in a hole in the ground because you are talking about spending the money elsewhere. McNair has already said that they don't expect to make any big moves in free agency.....so do the math, Einstein. That means we won't be getting anyone with the money that Bob saved to replace him or improve other spots on our team.

so its pure logic. let me spell it out.

we lost one of our better players, albeit a much maligned player since Pay Me Rick, and we got nothing for him and are now without our #1 corner. we aren't going to replace him with anyone because HE IS THE #1 GUY OUT THERE AVAILABLE. how does that help us?

sometimes I think some of these fans think that the salary cap is like the boogieman or that you are spending your own money on Dunta.

Bob saved some money and didn't improve the team and doesn't intend to spend the money saved on anyone else. how is that good?

but yeah, im wrong. we lose our #1 corner and somehow that is a good move....freakin lunacy.

Didnt see this coming. We are on the same page here.

Yankee_In_TX
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM

I think we have another glaring need with DRob gone so we'd BETTER sign a starter free agent to fill one of our holes.

With no cap and needs at RB, OLine, D-Line pass rush, I'd keep him for one year.

He wasn't the best, but he is a legit NFL starter - we just had NO pass rush. Now I am not convinced we have a legit NFL starting CB. (read - STARTING, not Pro Bowl).

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I just really don't see the worth man, period. Like I said, the guy wants top money and isn't worth it. This is a business matter, correct?

we only had to give him top money for one year. other teams are going to give him top money for multiple years...and teams will be lining up to do it especially this year. you know why? because it will help them win football games. they aren't worried about writing on shoes or God forbid, spending money. they want to win....its obvious we know where Bob's priorities are. Profit. Profit. Profit.

i'll give you one better. when we don't have a football season in 2011 you can give Bob a big kiss on the lips for that one too. he is one of the hardliners wanting to end revenue sharing so he can make more money. it sure isn't being spent on the product on the field. 2nd tier Free Agents. 2nd tier Coaching. 2nd tier franchise.

but whatever, everyone has a red arse for Dunta because he was a jerk last year during contract negotiations. so screw keeping our team's talent and making the next step...lets make an example of him and make our team less competitive in the process...freaking brilliant. hoo-freaking-ray.

i want our team to win. this doesnt help us win in 2010. no way. no how. but its a good move....*crickets*

how is that a good thing? are some of you getting profit sharing from Bob? geez. be objective..for once.

the salary cap isn't going to come in and rip your children from your arms. there isn't even a salary cap this year. how can fans who want to win support this move especially when the owner has plainly and clearly stated that they will not be players in this years Free Agent crop...and then go one further and not even retain non-FAs all the while providing probably the #3 or #4 Free Agent overall to the FA talent pool...great move, Einsteins.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Didnt see this coming. We are on the same page here.

For the both of you...

I would rather have the hungry player that wants to earn his pay. I would rather have guys that make plays.

I offered it up... Tell me what plays this dude made and how he earned his 10 mill. I'm willing to listen.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I think we have another glaring need with DRob gone so we'd BETTER sign a starter free agent to fill one of our holes.

With no cap and needs at RB, OLine, D-Line pass rush, I'd keep him for one year.

He wasn't the best, but he is a legit NFL starter - we just had NO pass rush. Now I am not convinced we have a legit NFL starting CB. (read - STARTING, not Pro Bowl).

Why award a player with a probowler's salary when he hasn't earned it? I just don't get it.

Go another direction, the dude is obviously not a lock imo.

HuttoKarl
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
For the both of you...

I would rather have the hungry player that wants to earn his pay. I would rather have guys that make plays.

I offered it up... Tell me what plays this dude made and how he earned his 10 mill. I'm willing to listen.

Keep waiting...they'll find a good play one of these days.

Blake

Thats the problem. McNair doesnt want to buy a player via FA, that costs too much. The Texans save 10 million and the team gets worse by starting a rookie CB via the draft.

It will be interesting to see what they do with OD and Ryans. Both are RFA's meaning the smart thing would be to tender them.

I will be pissed if the Texans release Dunta, tender OD and DR, and dont spend a dime via FA.

Hervoyel

I can't do that because while it's close to true it's not the truth. I'm mad at Dunta because once a week I watched him do something just incredibly stupid/hopeless/mindless/idiotic on the field and I know he's capable of better play than that. I'm not talking about a step he lost due to injury, I'm talking about taking lousy angles and not wrapping up guys. I'm talking about weak coverage and giving guys Petey Faggins size cushions at inexplicable moments during games. Starting at the end of 2008 and right up until he realized that he'd pretty played himself out of any rational justification for a big contract offer Dunta Robinson was a fool and played nothing like the guy he was before then.

It was either intentional or.... I don't know. I have no idea what was wrong with him but he wasn't himself (and even as himself he's not worth the kind of money he thinks he is).

He can play and he can start for somebody and he will get overpayed by someone but I'm glad it's not my team again. We'll never be done with this because Dunta's got his White Knights ready to defend his honor and Dunta's got his haters ready to run him out of town as soon as possible.

I might be a hater but it's not for the stuff you're talking about. Not primarily.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm mad at Dunta for making an issue about only getting 10 million a year for playing like a league minimum depth player...good riddance.

league minimum depth player? did you watch the games? he was our #1 corner. how is that league minimum or if I was to delude myself to even believe that he is that bad, what does that say about the rest of our DBs. from your warped perspective that means these guys behind him must really suck the big one....but no, lets make them starters in Peyton's division.

when Dunta is cashing a fat check from a team trying to win football games and not just farm money, keep calling him league minimum. after all, every league minimum guys gets paid $10 million. Just sayin, but people in the NFL do no consider him a bad player. in fact, he will be the #1 corner in this Free Agent pool. Other teams make an effort to retain their guys. But what do we know? we just had a 9-7 season. start the parades and re-sign the coach to the maximum extension....screw that. lifetime contract for Kubes.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM

brilliant. thank you.

Color me as never having been impressed. He supported the run okay and could hit hard, that's about it. He wasn't a playmaker. I never considered him good in coverage. Average at best. His rookie season was his best.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM

did you watch the Miami game?

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Thats the problem. McNair doesnt want to buy a player via FA, that costs too much. The Texans save 10 million and the team gets worse by starting a rookie CB via the draft.

It will be interesting to see what they do with OD and Ryans. Both are RFA's meaning the smart thing would be to tender them.

I will be pissed if the Texans release Dunta, tender OD and DR, and dont spend a dime via FA.

prepare to be pissed.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
I can't do that because while it's close to true it's not the truth. I'm mad at Dunta because once a week I watched him do something just incredibly stupid/hopeless/mindless/idiotic on the field and I know he's capable of better play than that. I'm not talking about a step he lost due to injury, I'm talking about taking lousy angles and not wrapping up guys. I'm talking about weak coverage and giving guys Petey Faggins size cushions at inexplicable moments during games. Starting at the end of 2008 and right up until he realized that he'd pretty played himself out of any rational justification for a big contract offer Dunta Robinson was a fool and played nothing like the guy he was before then.

It was either intentional or.... I don't know. I have no idea what was wrong with him but he wasn't himself (and even as himself he's not worth the kind of money he thinks he is).

He can play and he can start for somebody and he will get overpayed by someone but I'm glad it's not my team again. We'll never be done with this because Dunta's got his White Knights ready to defend his honor and Dunta's got his haters ready to run him out of town as soon as possible.

I might be a hater but it's not for the stuff you're talking about. Not primarily.

:bravo:

The defense rests your honor.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 04:51 PM

for the record, I am not a white knight. I just don't see how this helps the team?

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
for the record, I am not a white knight. I just don't see how this helps the team?

It helps the organization. That's what it's all about in the NFL.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
OD? coming off an injury? why lock up guys who can be RFA'ed. This isn't Boy Scouts. Its the NFL.

pay the guys you need to pay to retain them and give the other guys money when they are entitled to it.

not rocket science.

They're going to have to re-sign them before the 2010 season ends anyway. Otherwise, all the players that were 4 year players that are restricted this season due to no CBA will become FA around this time next year. We're talkin about mass free agency! Without doing the math, I'd say there'd be upwards of 400-500 Fa's at once.

I think teams will begin signing their RFA's sooner rather than later. As far as the Texans are concerned, I'd lock up D-Ryans and have OD, Pollard and the rest play out the 2010 season. If they play well, re-sign them right after the season.

Blake
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM

Or the Bengals game.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Or the Bengals game.

Didn't Cushing own those games? I don't remember how Dunta lifted up the defense in those two. I'm not as plugged in when I'm sitting on the couch.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Or the Bengals game.

Chad had over 100 yards that game... Dunta had 4 tackles

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Ginn had 82 yards on 5 receptions... Dunta had 5 tackles.

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM

It's impossible to see how this plays out on February 24th so hold your horses for the moment. Is anyone really going to offer Dunta ridiculous stupid money? I assume so. We don't know. Are the Texans planning on drafting a CB in the first round and know they're going to pick up a free agent RB? We don't know. Do the Texans plan on making some kind of trade down to grab more picks? Do they plan on trading for Nnamdi Asomugha? We just don't know.

It's pointless to rage about this stuff right now. See what happens with the free agents first, then maybe get all bent out of shape at the team or better yet wait and see what the draft and free agency combined get us. Then get mad about it (or not).

Dunta is a "part". Nothing more. He's not even close to being the best performing part on the team. By some estimates (that are not single stats or without merit) he's not even the second best CB on this team but we're all arguing over him like we just traded a guy who really did deserve franchise money. He's not Brian Cushing or DeMeco Ryans. He's not even Zac Diles or Bernard Pollard. We found Pollard on the scrap heap and look how that turned out.

Lets see what they plan to do to address his absence and their other needs before we get that upset about seeing him go out the door.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM

C'mon man, he made enough plays to warrant this:

Top Ten Starting Cornerback Contracts (in millions of dollars)
Rank Player Club Age at Signing New Guarantee Guar./ Guar. Total Avg./ 3-Year
Signing Date Years Year Pct New Money Year Total
1 Asomugha, NnamdiOAK 27 2/19/2009 3 $25.1m $8.4m 55.10% $45.5m $15.2m $45.5m
2 Robinson, Dunta HOU 27 9/7/2009 1 $10.0m $10.0m 100.00% $10.0m $10.0m --
3 Samuel, Asante PHI 27 3/1/2008 6 $23.6m $3.9m 41.30% $57.1m $9.5m $32.1m
4 Clements, Nate SF 27 3/3/2007 7 $21.6m $3.1m 33.70% $64.0m $9.1m $29.0m
5 Hall, DeAngelo WAS 25 3/4/2009 6 $21.5m $3.6m 39.80% $54.0m $9.0m $30.0m
6 Gamble, Chris CAR 25 11/28/2008 6 $23.0m $3.8m 43.60% $52.8m $8.8m $23.3m
7 Webster, Corey NYG 26 12/15/2008 5 $21.0m $4.2m 48.30% $43.5m $8.7m $29.5m
8 Hayden, Kelvin IND 25 2/19/2009 5 $17.8m $3.6m 41.30% $43.0m $8.6m $29.0m
9 Newman, Terence DAL 29 5/20/2008 6 $21.9m $3.6m 43.60% $50.2m $8.4m $22.5m
10 Trufant, Marcus SEA 27 3/27/2008 6 $21.0m $3.5m 41.80% $50.2m $8.4m $28.0m

Under the Cap: Top 10 Cornerbacks (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2009/under-cap-top-ten-cornerbacks)

painekiller
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Color me as never having been impressed. He supported the run okay and could hit hard, that's about it. He wasn't a playmaker. I never considered him good in coverage. Average at best. His rookie season was his best.

ditto

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Still looking at the stats... All I see are 2 tackles here, 4 tackles there, and so on and so forth. His best game was against Jacksonville in a losing effort. Why throw so much money at a guy thats tapped out?

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

most late in the game when game was decided...garbage time.

but knowing that would mean you had to watch the game and not just the box score 4 months later

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
most late in the game when game was decided...garbage time.

but knowing that would mean you had to watch the game and not just the box score 4 months later

You're a bitter person and a crybaby.

Dunta's not worth the money and you know it.

So don't let your hate of Bob and Gary overshadow any objectivity you may have left in that narrow minded skull of yours.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 05:28 PM
:popcorn:

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
It's impossible to see how this plays out on February 24th so hold your horses for the moment. Is anyone really going to offer Dunta ridiculous stupid money? I assume so. We don't know. Are the Texans planning on drafting a CB in the first round and know they're going to pick up a free agent RB? We don't know. Do the Texans plan on making some kind of trade down to grab more picks? Do they plan on trading for Nnamdi Asomugha? We just don't know.

It's pointless to rage about this stuff right now. See what happens with the free agents first, then maybe get all bent out of shape at the team or better yet wait and see what the draft and free agency combined get us. Then get mad about it (or not).

Dunta is a "part". Nothing more. He's not even close to being the best performing part on the team. By some estimates (that are not single stats or without merit) he's not even the second best CB on this team but we're all arguing over him like we just traded a guy who really did deserve franchise money. He's not Brian Cushing or DeMeco Ryans. He's not even Zac Diles or Bernard Pollard. We found Pollard on the scrap heap and look how that turned out.

Lets see what they plan to do to address his absence and their other needs before we get that upset about seeing him go out the door.

i appreciate the candor, herv. however, logic tells me that the #1 Free Agent cornerback is going to be getting a nice new deal with a new team. A big deal.

This isn't about you Herv, but isn't it kinda funny how the same people who are always saying 'build through draft' when making excuses for McNair's cheapskate ways are the same people who are wanting Dunta to be gone. Last time I checked Dunta was drafted. How is letting him go building through the draft. It's not like CB wasn't already an area of need WITH DUNTA. Now you take him out of the mix and its BBQ time for our secondary.

Yeah, Reeves is a #1....for a losing football team. Quin showed much promise but to act like he is ready to be a #2 is insane. It's not like Rick Smith has had much luck drafting corners in the past.

I want to win. This move doesn't help us win. SOmeone said, this helps the organization. I am guessing by organization, you mean McNair's profit margin. This in NO WAY helps the organization to win football games. It just lets McNair put some more money in his pocket that he has already stated himself that he will not be spending in Free Agency.

Now if they go out and get someone who can help our team win with the money they saved, I may be more on board with this move..but expect the price tag to be much higher and much riskier than a one year franchise tag and the cupboard is pretty darn bare...but I ain't holding my breath when I base things on McNair's own words and McNair's own track record. Knowing those facts, I am not supportive of this move one bit.

we stocked the FA pool with probably its 3rd or 4th best player...and we won't be getting anyone to replace him without spending an early pick on an unproven guy which in turn makes us neglect other areas of critical need like DT, C, and FS.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
The Texans have a well thought out calculated plan.

They're in the process of executing those plans.

If Dunta was in those plans they would have made moves accordingly.

Anyone notice the team didn't contact Dunta all offseason?

There's a plan in place, we need to all just watch and let it unfold.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
You're a bitter person and a crybaby.

Dunta's not worth the money and you know it.

So don't let your hate of Bob and Gary overshadow any objectivity you may have left in that narrow minded skull of yours.

Dunta is technically worth the money, that is why he is going to be a Free Agent. Because his agent knows he can get a much more lucrative contract than a 1 year Franchise tender. You are worth what you are going to get paid, and Dunta is going to get paid. Our owner couldn't even give him a one year deal no-strings attached because he is so cheap....that is unless you suck to high heaven like David Carr and Weaver and Greenwood. he'll pay those guys top $$.

As for being a bitter person and a crybaby, I will leave the namecalling out of this. I have a wonderful life, wonderful family, top notch education, great career, and have forgotten more about football than you will ever know. Plus I think the mods have better things to do than to pick up your roadkill carcass off the forum's virtual highway. I pointed something out to you about garbage time and showed you to be off base, ill-informed, and very skewed in your stat presentation.

also I feel hate is a strong word for my feelings towards Bob and Gary. Bob is in it for profit not winning and Gary shouldn't have been extended based on a .500 record. So I am not happy with either guy right now. I wouldn't call that hate. I did send Bob a letter explaining why I dropped 2 of our 4 PSL licenses this offseason, and there wasn't an ounce of hate in the letter. In fact, it was quite respectful. Not expecting a letter back, but if I do get something other than a form letter and a survey, I will respectfully post its contents on this board.

but whatever, we lost our #1 corner and that somehow made us a better team. *rolls eyes*

HuttoKarl
02-24-2010, 05:43 PM
The number one turd in a pile of turds is still a turd.

Just because this is the worst free agent crop in recent memory doesn't mean we should overspend on a guy who isn't worth spending on.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
The Texans have a well thought out calculated plan.

They're in the process of executing those plans.

If Dunta was in those plans they would have made moves accordingly.

Anyone notice the team didn't contact Dunta all offseason?

There's a plan in place, we need to all just watch and let it unfold.

and the plan is to drop $10 million in salary and not spend it anywhere else to improve the team.

that is from McNair's mouth. he isn't going to be a player in this year's Free Agency...

...all that you have to do is connect the dots. after all why should he?

people were practically throwing parades in this city over a 9-7 record.

playa465
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
league minimum depth player? did you watch the games? he was our #1 corner. how is that league minimum or if I was to delude myself to even believe that he is that bad, what does that say about the rest of our DBs. from your warped perspective that means these guys behind him must really suck the big one....but no, lets make them starters in Peyton's division.

when Dunta is cashing a fat check from a team trying to win football games and not just farm money, keep calling him league minimum. after all, every league minimum guys gets paid $10 million. Just sayin, but people in the NFL do no consider him a bad player. in fact, he will be the #1 corner in this Free Agent pool. Other teams make an effort to retain their guys. But what do we know? we just had a 9-7 season. start the parades and re-sign the coach to the maximum extension....screw that. lifetime contract for Kubes.

What others seem to be saying is that even though he may have been "OUR" #1 corner, he has performed sub-par. The rest of our DBs don't make $10M a year. You do not play players who perform sub-par $10M a year. Ranking him by stats does put him near league minimum if you look at CBs. As of the last couple of years he brought nothing special to our defense that Ryans couldn't do as far as leadership. Our CB play was not great with Dunta and he has never been a cover guy per se, plus his tackling has not been always there since his injury (maybe mental). You won't see many long term contracts being worked on RFA or UFA this off season with the looming CBA negotiations and talks of a lock out in 2011. So why use the tag on an average player? If someone throws $10M for 1 year (which I doubt) at him then so be it but with his play he should get about $2.5M with performance bonuses, that would be fair.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Dunta is technically worth the money, that is why he is going to be a Free Agent. Because his agent knows he can get a much more lucrative contract than a 1 year Franchise tender. You are worth what you are going to get paid, and Dunta is going to get paid. Our owner couldn't even give him a one year deal no-strings attached because he is so cheap....that is unless you suck to high heaven like David Carr and Weaver and Greenwood. he'll pay those guys top $$.

As for being a bitter person and a crybaby, I will leave the namecalling out of this. I have a wonderful life, wonderful family, top notch education, great career, and have forgotten more about football than you will ever know. Plus I think the mods have better things to do than to pick up your roadkill carcass off the forum's virtual highway.

also I feel hate is a strong word for my feelings towards Bob and Gary. Bob is in it for profit not winning and Gary shouldn't have been extended based on a .500 record. So I am not happy with either guy right now. I wouldn't call that hate. I did send Bob a letter explaining why I dropped 2 of our 4 PSL licenses this offseason, and there wasn't an ounce of hate in the letter. In fact, it was quite respectful. Not expecting a letter back, but if I do get something other than a form letter and a survey, I will respectfully post its contents on this board.

but whatever, we lost our #1 corner and that somehow made us a better team. *rolls eyes*

:spit:

*sorry, I just thought that was pretty funny*

*ahem* Carry on....I suppose

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
The number one turd in a pile of turds is still a turd.

Just because this is the worst free agent crop in recent memory doesn't mean we should overspend on a guy who isn't worth spending on.

I can respect that Hutto, but how does this help us if Bob just puts the money in his pocket?

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 05:57 PM

As for being a bitter person and a crybaby, I will leave the namecalling out of this. I have a wonderful life, wonderful family, top notch education, great career, and have forgotten more about football than you will ever know. Plus I think the mods have better things to do than to pick up your roadkill carcass off the forum's virtual highway. I pointed something out to you about garbage time and showed you to be off base, ill-informed, and very skewed in your stat presentation.

LOL, you dropped 2 of your 4 PSL's because of your malcontent... Brilliant! That's commitment right there. You only halfway are pissed with the direction your team is going in.

Why would you act this way now though? The Texans are on the cusp of playoffs and just now you throw in half of the towel. Makes no sense to me. As a matter of fact, not much of your argument makes much sense.

Who in there right mind signs a par player for major money? Dan Snyder? Is that what you want, Dan Snyder? It's not like there isn't a huge talent pool that gms have to choose from.

DUNTA ROBINSON ISN'T EVEN A TOP 15 CB.

Now... why do you sign him as if he is top 5?

*BTW, I'm not an eye roller. I'm looking directly at you.*

devo-x
02-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Interesting

Dunta still owns the franchise record for interceptions at 13 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_records

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Interesting

Dunta still owns the franchise record for interceptions at 13 according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_records

6 his rookie season. A total of 7 over the next 5 seasons.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Interesting

BTW, David Carr still owns the record for most completions and touchdowns. :gun:

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
6 his rookie season. A total of 7 over the next 5 seasons.

Yeah, I looked that one up too. A little misleading.

Wolf
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I hear Rick was seen wearing shoes that said"released you dunta" :joker:

Wolf
02-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Wanted to quote TB on his carr post but not sure how to do it over the phone.

so in response, i think i hold the record for most beers drank per carr sack . at that time i think had had a rating way above 1.0 during his tenure ... :tease:

record
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
This thread is Second Honeymoon v everyone else.

I'm pretty confident that between FA and the draft they can find another CB to perform on par or better than Dunta at a much lower price. I spent more time cursing him than any other Texan player not named Brown last season. He was Demarcus Faggins and Matt Stevens rolled into one player. Just thinking about how bad he played in certain games is getting my blood to boiling right now. HE F#*ckING BLOWS. Good riddance.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Wanted to quote TB on his carr post but not sure how to do it over the phone.

so in response, i think i hold the record for most beers drank per carr sack . at that time i think had had a rating way above 1.0 during his tenure ... :tease:

:um: Me wonders if you're not watching an old game on the DVR right now.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
and the plan is to drop $10 million in salary and not spend it anywhere else to improve the team.

that is from McNair's mouth. he isn't going to be a player in this year's Free Agency...

...all that you have to do is connect the dots. after all why should he?

people were practically throwing parades in this city over a 9-7 record.

That $10 million in salary will come in handy when it comes time to pay OD and Captain Meco.... not to mention others who will be needing contracts.... AND not to mention our own current free agents Pitts and Walter

There's a well thought out plan in place dude, don't make it out to be some secret evil plan to remain mediocre and make 0 effort to improve the roster this offseason because thats far from the truth.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
LOL, you dropped 2 of your 4 PSL's because of your malcontent... Brilliant! That's commitment right there. You only halfway are pissed with the direction your team is going in.

Why would you act this way now though? The Texans are on the cusp of playoffs and just now you throw in half of the towel. Makes no sense to me. As a matter of fact, not much of your argument makes much sense.

Who in there right mind signs a par player for major money? Dan Snyder? Is that what you want, Dan Snyder? It's not like there isn't a huge talent pool that gms have to choose from.

DUNTA ROBINSON ISN'T EVEN A TOP 15 CB.

Now... why do you sign him as if he is top 5?

*BTW, I'm not an eye roller. I'm looking directly at you.*

its called priorities, dude. I kept me and my brother's seats and sold the one's we took friends to. it's called raising kids and not always having all day to piss away on Sunday watching the Texans blow another lead when you got Little League, Brownies, JA, etc. It's called being a dad. When all my friends were single with no kids it was easy finding friends to go, but things change.

I also had a hard time dropping over 5k annually on tickets to something that is getting hard to believe in. They are on the cusp of the playoffs? you mean were. new season. no more pattycake schedule and no new blood coming in because that would actually cost money.

but whatever, make fun of me for only having 2 season tickets now. how many do you have? yeah, thats what I thought. zero.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
its called priorities, dude. I kept me and my brother's seats and sold the one's we took friends to. it's called raising kids and not always having all day to piss away on Sunday watching the Texans blow another lead.

but whatever, make fun of me for only having 2 season tickets now. how many do you have? yeah, thats what I thought. zero.

Dude sits front row behind the SEZ endzone.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 06:24 PM
That $10 million in salary will come in handy when it comes time to pay OD and Captain Meco.... not to mention others who will be needing contracts.... AND not to mention our own current free agents Pitts and Walter

There's a well thought out plan in place dude, don't make it out to be some secret evil plan to remain mediocre and make 0 effort to improve the roster this offseason because thats far from the truth.

when it comes time to pay OD? OD just had major knee injury and a year removed away from FA. Oh, and news flash, there probably isn't going to be a 2010 season....thanks in large part to McNairs profit mongering. DeMeco will get paid but its not time to do so. Its not prudent and/or necessary.

What if we had paid OD his big salary last offseason like some people wanted to. Why commit when you dont have to?

But whatever, keep your torch burning for a pound of flesh from Dunta. At the end of the day, the team didn't improve. We took a step back. Period.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Dude sits front row behind the SEZ endzone.

touche and good for him. i couldn't give up all 4 of my endzone seats. you know why? because I love my Texans and I love my football on Sundays. It just gets harder to do every year as a father.

Yankee_In_TX
02-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Then we sure as heck better have a perfect draft for RB, OL, DL passrush, and CB......

2slik4u
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM

I hope not. OD is a top five TE. The guy can win games for us and weve seen how bad we need him. I am not at all sad that we arent franchising D rob. I honestly hope he moves on down the road. On the other hand, I hope we sign OD to a contract that doesnt break our bank and makes him happy. I know there is a middle ground here, we just have to find it. OD is an asset while D rob is a virus.

Good riddance to bad rummage.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I hope not. OD is a top five TE. The guy can win games for us and weve seen how bad we need him. I am not at all sad that we arent franchising D rob. I honestly hope he moves on down the road. On the other hand, I hope we sign OD to a contract that doesnt break our bank and makes him happy. I know there is a middle ground here, we just have to find it. OD is an asset while D rob is a virus.

Good riddance to bad rummage.

so you want Dunta to walk but want to give OD, a player coming off a major knee injury, a new contract.

that makes a whooooole lot of sense. i hope you are our next GM.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
its called priorities, dude. I kept me and my brother's seats and sold the one's we took friends to. it's called raising kids and not always having all day to piss away on Sunday watching the Texans blow another lead.

You said you got rid of the tickets out of spite. Now it's life. C'mon man it's okay, be truthfull with us.

As for me... I'm in the red Dre jersey in the middle, with blue sleeves, and a BUD LIGHT. And those, sir, are my seats.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/shaft75_photo/manddhomepage.jpg

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
You said you got rid of the tickets out of spite. Now it's life. C'mon man it's okay, be truthfull with us.

As for me... I'm in the red Dre jersey in the middle, with blue sleeves, and a miller lite. And those, sir, are my seats.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af252/shaft75_photo/manddhomepage.jpg

Damn man! You get uglier by the season!!

BTW, that looks like a Bud Light.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
touche and good for him. i couldn't give up all 4 of my endzone seats. you know why? because I love my Texans and I love my football on Sundays. It just gets harder to do every year as a father.

You acted as if you were taking some sort of stand, but now it's a fatherly thing. Look, I get it with the fatherly thing. But why act like it's something it's not?

JCTexan
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
so you want Dunta to walk but want to give OD, a player coming off a major knee injury, a new contract.

So do you think Dunta is worth over 10 Million a year? Do you consider him to be a top 5 or 10 CB? If you don't it's a mute point because that's what the Texans would have to pay him for Dunta to stay with them. I personally don't think he's a top 10 Corner and wouldn't pay him as one.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Damn man! You get uglier by the season!!

BTW, that looks like a Bud Light.

Corrected. And, you know who the man is.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 06:43 PM
You acted as if you were taking some sort of stand, but now it's a fatherly thing. Look, I get it with the fatherly thing. But why act like it's something it's not?

if they were showing more commitment to winning, there would be more interest in the games by my friends and family. my brother and I are hardcore, we are there most Sundays, but I just couldn't rationalize keeping the other two when they went to waste or were sold for next to nothing for most games.

the interest has waned in the product, at least with my peeps. it was worth it having the extra tickets when people wanted to go but not so much anymore. then when you couple family obligations/expenses, it just didnt make much sense.

and you know what, interest has waned because I couldn't even find a Texans fan who wanted to buy the PSL. I had to find a guy from Boston who is moving here and he just loves the NFL. I got very few serious inquiries from Texans fans. Is some of that the economy's fault? sure it is. but its also part and parcel of McNair not being committed to winning and, at least to me, more interested in his bottom line.

I gotta say props to you for the good seats. You are about 14 rows ahead of us. Always wanted to sit front row but it was just too damn expensive even back in 2001 when the economy was better and PSLs became available....and at least you put your money where your mouth is. Oh, and we both want to win. I am not saying I don't think you want the Texans to win, I just think the Texans are trying to nickel and dime it when the NFL, and its owners, are making huge $$

Texan_Bill
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Maybe the novelty of having something new has worn off of your peeps. That's what separates the die-hard fans who pass down tickets from generation to generation from those that like shiny new things.

*EDIT*
Not there's anything wrong with that. :gun:

Thorn
02-24-2010, 06:54 PM
We lost a starting CB, and now he has to be replaced. It's the NFL, this happens all the time to teams. I'm glad he's gone, but it wouldn't have upset me that greatly if he stayed, because he can play the position. Perhaps not as good as we want, but he can play the position. So now there's another hole to fill if the off season. I still say the Texans will be in better shape in 2010 than they were in 2009 with or without Dunta.

During the Kubiac era we've always had a problem with the defensive backfield, looks like that's not gonna change anytime soon. They had BETTER get Pollard locked up, that's for damn sure.

Double Barrel
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm sort of like Thorn. I see legit reasons for both sides. D.Rob is not worth the money you'd have to pay him to stay, but it does suck to lose our best CB, even if that's not saying much.

But, it is what it is. I will wait to see 1) how the Texans fill the spot, 2) how the 2010 season turns out, and 3) how D.Rob performs in a new uni.

Not much I can do until then, because it's all speculation.

Shaft75
02-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I gotta say props to you for the good seats. You are about 14 rows ahead of us. Always wanted to sit front row but it was just too damn expensive even back in 2001 when the economy was better and PSLs became available....and at least you put your money where your mouth is. Oh, and we both want to win. I am not saying I don't think you want the Texans to win, I just think the Texans are trying to nickel and dime it when the NFL, and its owners, are making huge $$

You got that right.

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
When he tests the market I would not be surprised to see him back negotiating with the Texans for a one year deal at market prices + a small premium. Who is going to give him a long term deal (including bonus money up front) with all of the uncertainty in the CBA and his full recovery from the injury?

I bet he wanted a long term deal here (as he should be trying to get), and the Texans saw his value in between the franchise tag amount and the average salary at the position, but were willing to give it for one or two years. If they were renegotiating with him, but not willing to employ the franchise tag they still see value in him - it is just not in line with the player's perceived value of himself.

Front offices have a lot of leverage right now. I really do not think this has been closed.

Wolf
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I would like to see all the cards on the table before I think Bob doesn't have a commitment to win ..

Was D-Rob worth 10 plus million . I would be surprised to see anyone say he was worth that with a straight face

Hell for 10 plus million, he should be able to shut down half the field down ..

I know it wasn't his fault for getting paid like that, but lets see what happens

imatexan
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
When he tests the market I would not be surprised to see him back negotiating with the Texans for a one year deal at market prices + a small premium. Who is going to give him a long term deal (including bonus money up front) with all of the uncertainty in the CBA and his full recovery from the injury?

I bet he wanted a long term deal here (as he should be trying to get), and the Texans saw his value in between the franchise tag amount and the average salary at the position, but were willing to give it for one or two years. If they were renegotiating with him, but not willing to employ the franchise tag they still see value in him - it is just not in line with the player's perceived value of himself.

Front offices have a lot of leverage right now. I really do not think this has been closed.

It might not be closed but I have a feeling Dunta will get good money, the CB market is not very strong.

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
It might not be closed but I have a feeling Dunta will get good money, the CB market is not very strong.

He is a FA in an uncommon market of 23 teams (not including the Texans and the restricted playoff teams). If I were laying money down, I would bet he signs elsewhere. However, testing the market has a way of making folks wise up pretty quick.

ObsiWan
02-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Agreed.
But in this mkt, the Pats would be kinda crazy to let him get away.
But then, they dumped Richard Seymour last year and I thought that was a bit nuts too.

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Maybe the novelty of having something new has worn off of your peeps. That's what separates the die-hard fans who pass down tickets from generation to generation from those that like shiny new things.

*EDIT*
Not there's anything wrong with that. :gun:

as you probably surmise, a lot of my crew are Texas grads and my dad is Illini grad who adopted Texas when I went to school at Austin, and the whole Derrick Johnson/Travis Johnson & Carr/VY debacles really pissed some of them off especially when it blew up in our faces. I think that has more to do with some of the apathy than the newness factor. My brother (Baylor) and I (Texas) are hardcore through and through and we will be there until the day we die, win or lose. I will just be a lot happier if we win. Doubt I am alone in that regard.

A lot of good points in this thread though, on both sides. I can see the logic of dropping Dunta, but only if you use the money you saved to help bring in someone to help another aspect of the team. I guess that is why I am sore about this. I have never been a huge Dunta guy but he is our best corner. Losing him WILL hurt us...how much is the 12million dollar question. I just don't trust McNair to spend the money he saved on bringing someone in. Hope he proves me wrong.

Combine starts next week. Can't freaking wait to see who shines and who blows it.

fwiw - would anyone be willing to part with their 1st Rounder for DeAngelo Williams even when we are such a pass-oriented offense.

T

edo783
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
D-Rob's leaving may be a blessing. Finally forcing action to get players with skills into the defensive backfield. For a near term fix (next 2-3 years) I would like us to make a play for both Bodden AND Rolle. Puts a reasonable fix to the two problem levels of the defense and gives us time to build the guys behind them and still use our draft picks to get the DT, OG/C and RB we need in the first 3 rounds. Yes, they will cost some coin, but IMO, they make the defense pretty dang solid and one that could be counted on in the playoffs. By the time they start to tank due to age, we should have their replacements ready.

CloakNNNdagger
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
There are Nuts [N] For [F] Losers [L] teams out there that will grossly overpay for limited talent. I hope we aren't one of them.................again.

jppaul
02-25-2010, 12:07 AM
What is the deadline to tag him? Was it today or is it 5 pm tomorrow?

DerekLee1
02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Methinks Rick Smith has something up his sleeve. Either a CB targeted in the draft, or a free agent for much less money. Dunta is not worth $12MM. He's not a top-5 CB. THAT is the reason they didn't franchise him. Besides, that would have been $21MM he'd have been guaranteed over two seasons, and then you still have to deal with locking him up after next season. Better to not franchise him, see what he's worth in the open market, and let him go if it's too high and sign someone else worthy of their dollar amount.

And for those of you that think Bob McNair doesn't want to win and only thinks about money, you are DEAD WRONG. That man will pay whatever it takes to win. But paying an above-average player elite money is just foolish. I like D-Rob, but I don't like him for Top 5 money. I'd rather use his $12MM to lock up OD and DeMeco long term.

DocBar
02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
this is a big mistake, now we have yet another hole to fillThe hole was there to fill before this. This just keeps The Texans from being broke AND in need of a #1 CB. Good move, IMHO. I can't say I wish him the best, though. It would piss me off if he has a 6 or 7 INT season in '10. Here's hoping he stays healthy, though.

DocBar
02-25-2010, 01:52 AM
Methinks Rick Smith has something up his sleeve. Either a CB targeted in the draft, or a free agent for much less money. Dunta is not worth $12MM. He's not a top-5 CB. THAT is the reason they didn't franchise him. Besides, that would have been $21MM he'd have been guaranteed over two seasons, and then you still have to deal with locking him up after next season. Better to not franchise him, see what he's worth in the open market, and let him go if it's too high and sign someone else worthy of their dollar amount.

And for those of you that think Bob McNair doesn't want to win and only thinks about money, you are DEAD WRONG. That man will pay whatever it takes to win. But paying an above-average player elite money is just foolish. I like D-Rob, but I don't like him for Top 5 money. I'd rather use his $12MM to lock up OD and DeMeco long term.

You're not going to be a winner when you blow too much money on FA's that aren't worth it. Glad McNair didn't go all "Dan Snyder" and screw his team. Also keep in mind that teams are responsible for all contracts, as written, when a CBA does take effect and another salary cap is in effect.

m5kwatts
02-25-2010, 02:37 AM

Rick Smith was a DB in his playing days. His first job in football was DB coach for Purdue. The guy specializes in this position unit. I think he has an immense amount of confidence in his ability to find value DBs and not the overpaid big names because he knows the fundamentals and mechanics of being a DB. When he drafted Quinn I said "WTF?!" Even Mayock said he had a 6th round to undrafted grade on him. Then the kid steps in and was probably one of the better nickel/slot corners in the league this year. Brice McCain didn't even get an invite to the combine and he picked off Manning this year and proved down the stretch he can play.

Given that this years draft is rich in CBs all the way down to the 7th round, I KNOW he's thinking he can find a starter or atleast a nickel in this draft and his name doesn't have to be Joe Haden or Kyle Wilson.

LikeMike
02-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Franchising Dunta would mean overpaying Dunta... But Id still like him to stay, simply because our Defense would be worse than last year with a rookie CB1 (not to mention with Dunta still here, we could pick an Earl Thomas, Dan Williams, Brian Price or Kyle Wilson to pair up with him... now we basically have to draft a DB to replace him). Well who knows, maybe we can sign him for a reasonable price after all, or trade for a proven CB.

If he leaves and we don`t pick up another one, Id expect us to go defense in the first two rounds, maybe even DBs in the first two rounds (perhaps Thomas and Ghee?). That means our O-Line and HB problem needs to wait until the 3d round...

Blake
02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Why does everyone think that McNair has some secret master plan to fix our secondary? This is the same guy who gave Gary Kubiak a new higher paying contract when he has one year left on his current lower paying contract. Kubiak hasnt even taken his team tot he playoffs!

What was McNair's reason?

“I think Gary's done a good job,” McNair said. “I look at our results, and I look at what some other coaches have done, and I evaluated his performance against others. We have a great foundation in place."

Maybe he should take a look at the Carolina Panthers situation. John Fox is in the last year of his contract, and his GM Marty Hurney came on the radio and point blank said that coaches in the NFL are professionals, and whether they are in the first year of a contract or the last year, they should/will give it their all.

And the piece about evaluating his performance against others. Who was he compairing him to? Obviously nobody in the AFC south, becuase we cant even win the division once!

BUT we dont have time to lock up DeMeco Ryans who has been the perfect MLB for us for the past 4 years!

And now we are forced to draft a rookie CB with our first pick and throw him to the wolves. Forget fixing the free safety position. Or fixing the O and D Lines.

Give me a F*ing break...

2slik4u
02-25-2010, 09:42 AM

So you would pay D rob top five money? Can you honestly say hes worth the money hes asking for? Im not saying D rob is not a good ball player, Im saying hes not worth what he wants. Yes OD had a major knee injury last year, but we both know, knee injuries arent as serious as they once were 5-10 years ago. I would be talking in a completely different manner IF D rob was a top 5 shutdown corner but hes not. OD IS a top 5 TE.

On another note, if you are the type of "GM" that would roll over and pay D rob a s*&^ ton of money because he wants it, then I sir, am glad you are not our GM.

2slik4u
02-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm sort of like Thorn. I see legit reasons for both sides. D.Rob is not worth the money you'd have to pay him to stay, but it does suck to lose our best CB, even if that's not saying much.

But, it is what it is. I will wait to see 1) how the Texans fill the spot, 2) how the 2010 season turns out, and 3) how D.Rob performs in a new uni.

Not much I can do until then, because it's all speculation.

Yes but speculation is all we have in the offseason. Its either that or fantasy baseball which I reluctantly signed up for AGAIN.....just to pass the time.....

Blake
02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
So you would pay D rob top five money? Can you honestly say hes worth the money hes asking for? Im not saying D rob is not a good ball player, Im saying hes not worth what he wants. Yes OD had a major knee injury last year, but we both know, knee injuries arent as serious as they once were 5-10 years ago. I would be talking in a completely different manner IF D rob was a top 5 shutdown corner but hes not. OD IS a top 5 TE.

On another note, if you are the type of "GM" that would roll over and pay D rob a s*&^ ton of money because he wants it, then I sir, am glad you are not our GM.

Why?

OD is not better than Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzales, Vernon Davis, Heath Miller. Even Kellen Winslow, Visanthe Shiancoe and a few others are better or on par with OD. Yes he is good. Yes he can catch. But overall he is not top 5 IMO. OD coming off a knee injury doesnt help his case.

I really hope he sits out TC. I want to see if TexansTalk bashes him like they bashed Dunta.

Section516
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
At the time of OD's injury ( I know, Elephant in the room), wasn't he like top 20 in receiving yards amongst all? including receivers? With five touchdowns? And leading all TE's in receiving yards? :barman:

2slik4u
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Why?

OD is not better than Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Tony Gonzales, Vernon Davis, Heath Miller. Even Kellen Winslow, Visanthe Shiancoe and a few others are better or on par with OD. Yes he is good. Yes he can catch. But overall he is not top 5 IMO. OD coming off a knee injury doesnt help his case.

I really hope he sits out TC. I want to see if TexansTalk bashes him like they bashed Dunta.

Here are some stats for you on the 2009 season:

yds per game
1. Antonio gates - 72.3
2. dallas clark - 69.1
3. owen daniels - 64.9
4. jason witten - 64.4
5. brent celek - 60.7

avg. yds per catch
1. marcedes lewis - 16.2
2. antonio gates - 14.6
3. kevin boss - 13.5
4. tony scheffler - 13.4
5. owen daniels - 13.0

receptions per game
1. dallas clark - 6.25
2. jason witten - 5.8
3. owen daniels - 5.0
4. antonio gates - 4.9
5. vernon davis - 4.8
6. kellen winslow - 4.8
7. brent celek - 4.75

TD per game
1. vernon davis - .8125
2. visanthe shiancoe - .6875
3. owen daniels - .625
4. dallas clark - .625
5. antonio gates - .5
6. brent celek - .5
7. kellen winslow - .3125
8. jason witten - .125

total receiving yds
1. antonio gates - 1157
2. dallas clark - 1106
3. owen daniels - on pace for 1038
4. jason witten - 1030
5. brent celek - 971
6. vernon davis - 965

Now, I might have missed some categories but I think I hit the most important ones. As you can clearly see, he not only IS a top 5 TE, but Tony gonzalez, heath miller, kellen winslow, and visanthe shiancoe (except for TD's) arent even in the same space as this guy. 4 of the 5 categories I listed above clearly show that its the same guys: Gates, Clark, Daniels, and Witten.

Your move.....

Hardcore Texan
02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Why?

I think OD is better than Winslow, Shancoe, and Miller. Hard to say about Davis, he's finally living up to his freak like athleticism. Dallas Clark is a WR playing TE. OD is well more rounded as a blocker than Clark. Clark is faster, runs great routes, etc. Both have great hands.

Tony Gonzales is future HOF'er, all around superb talent. I wouldn't be suprised to see him hang up his cleats very soon.

Antonio Gates has great ball skills, great reciever, I don't know much about his blocking ability. Jason Witten is an all around terrific TE, I think OD is already well on his way to develop into this type of threat.

Right now I would say Gates, Witten, Gonzales, and Clark are better (not sure about the order). And I would put OD in the #5 spot tied with Davis. Shancoe and Miller right behind them. Then guys like Shockey, Kevin Boss, etc. Winslow is good, when he decides to be a factor and for me is not even in the conversation because he is so hit or miss. JMHO.

Blake
02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Now, I might have missed some categories but I think I hit the most important ones. As you can clearly see, he not only IS a top 5 TE, but Tony gonzalez, heath miller, kellen winslow, and visanthe shiancoe (except for TD's) arent even in the same space as this guy. 4 of the 5 categories I listed above clearly show that its the same guys: Gates, Clark, Daniels, and Witten.

Your move.....

There is more to being a TE than pass catching stats. OD is actually more of a receiver.

And catching passes in our offense isnt exactly the hardest thing to do. We sling the ball around more than anyone.

If you want to say that OD is a top 5 pass catching TE, then I will agree with you.

OD is probably a better QB than a blocking TE. And now after knee surgery, we will see what he is. That is the problem. We need to see what OD can do before we invest in him long term.

And dont post a stat to me that says "on pace for", that is ridiculous. The NFL doesnt have half seasons or anything. If you cant do it for a full season then GTF outa here.

Hardcore Texan
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
There is more to being a TE than pass catching stats. OD is actually more of a receiver.

And catching passes in our offense isnt exactly the hardest thing to do. We sling the ball around more than anyone.

If you want to say that OD is a top 5 pass catching TE, then I will agree with you.

OD is probably a better QB than a blocking TE. And now after knee surgery, we will see what he is. That is the problem. We need to see what OD can do before we invest in him long term.

OD is a solid blocking TE, he has came a LONG way in that department since he was drafted.

Section516
02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
OD's blocking ability has increased exponentially over the years.

infantrycak
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
At the time of OD's injury ( I know, Elephant in the room), wasn't he like top 20 in receiving yards amongst all? including receivers? With five touchdowns? And leading all TE's in receiving yards? :barman:

OD finished the season 18th in receiving yards by a TE having only played 7.25 games. 5 TDs still had him at 12th on the season. 10 plays over 20&40 had him tied for 10th on the season. 70% 1st downs was 3rd among starting TEs. Project those out over a full season and he is top 5 across the board. Pre-injury dude was a top 5 TE. It's really kind of ridiculous to argue he was no better than folks who played a whole season and posted similar production to what he did in 7.25 games. Post injury we just don't know.

Yeah because it is so hard to catch passes in those run happy offenses in San Diego, Dallas and Indy. C'mon - that's like saying you can't compare this apple to that one because someone took the stem off this one.

El Tejano
02-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Why?

Those guys were nowhere near ODs stats before OD went down with injury.

HuttoKarl
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM

We have a year to see how Owen bounces back. We watched Dunta for a year after major knee injuries and he didn't play like a guy who needs a big money deal. If Daniels plays like he did before the injury, lock him up. If not, offer a FAIR market deal and go from there.

The one thing I will say that I absolutely LOVED about Dunta Robinson is him finally saying something about how crappy Carr was as a QB. I think that sort of got the ball rolling to find a new QB. For that, we owe him.

2slik4u
02-25-2010, 11:11 AM

And dont post a stat to me that says "on pace for", that is ridiculous. The NFL doesnt have half seasons or anything. If you cant do it for a full season then GTF outa here.

Let me know if you can find a website that shows blocking stats for TE's. Also, I cant recall the last time when a blocking TE and contract negotiation issues were in the same sentence. Cmon now, be reasonable.

Double Barrel
02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes but speculation is all we have in the offseason. Its either that or fantasy baseball which I reluctantly signed up for AGAIN.....just to pass the time.....

I agree speculation is all fans have at this point (this ain't my first rodeo).

My point was that there is no reason to get emotional, belligerent, obtuse, and insulting about mere speculation (not saying you were being these things, just folks in general).

People can assume all they want to, but they shouldn't get upset when others do not agree with those assumptions. Unless anyone here can make/prove the claim that they are in on FO meetings, it's just silly to get too wrapped up in this off-season stuff.

2slik4u
02-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree speculation is all fans have at this point (this ain't my first rodeo).

My point was that there is no reason to get emotional, belligerent, obtuse, and insulting about mere speculation (not saying you were being these things, just folks in general).

People can assume all they want to, but they shouldn't get upset when others do not agree with those assumptions. Unless anyone here can make/prove the claim that they are in on FO meetings, it's just silly to get too wrapped up in this off-season stuff.

I read ya, and agree. This message board, just like fantasy baseball is just here to pass the time until the season starts. But your right, when posting you gotta keep things in perspective.

nero THE zero
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Who is going to give him a long term deal (including bonus money up front) with all of the uncertainty in the CBA and his full recovery from the injury?

Bud Adams.

Yankee_In_TX
02-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Hey, WTH is up with the people to your left who always seem to be patting opposing players on the back?!?!?! (off topic, I know, but the picture you posted reminded me you sit down there).

infantrycak
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Who is going to give him a long term deal (including bonus money up front) with all of the uncertainty in the CBA and his full recovery from the injury?

Seems like the players union did not do a very good job educating the players on the potential upcoming difficulties. If they had, Dunta, OD and DeMeco should have jumped on the deals they were offered last year which by all accounts were ordinarily configured deals. Now they are RFAs again or staring a very uncertain market in the face.

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM

what do you base that on? it sure as hell isn't his track record. bob has yet to go out there and make a big splash player-wise or coaching-wise.

the most money he has paid to anyone was David Carr. We all know how that turned out. When DC is your biggest splash, its time to make a damn splash.

I know you like Bob, but he hasn't been committed to winning championships. he has been committed to running a profitable franchise.

Mr. White
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
FYI

"Hey Rookie" is on NFLN right now. Dunta's one of the subjects.

Section516
02-25-2010, 01:37 PM
what do you base that on? it sure as hell isn't his track record. bob has yet to go out there and make a big splash player-wise or coaching-wise.

the most money he has paid to anyone was David Carr. We all know how that turned out. When DC is your biggest splash, its time to make a damn splash.

I know you like Bob, but he hasn't been committed to winning championships. he has been committed to running a profitable franchise.

What was Antonio Smith?

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Why does everyone think that McNair has some secret master plan to fix our secondary? This is the same guy who gave Gary Kubiak a new higher paying contract when he has one year left on his current lower paying contract. Kubiak hasnt even taken his team tot he playoffs!

What was McNair's reason?

I think Gary's done a good job, McNair said. I look at our results, and I look at what some other coaches have done, and I evaluated his performance against others. We have a great foundation in place."

Maybe he should take a look at the Carolina Panthers situation. John Fox is in the last year of his contract, and his GM Marty Hurney came on the radio and point blank said that coaches in the NFL are professionals, and whether they are in the first year of a contract or the last year, they should/will give it their all.

And the piece about evaluating his performance against others. Who was he compairing him to? Obviously nobody in the AFC south, becuase we cant even win the division once!

BUT we dont have time to lock up DeMeco Ryans who has been the perfect MLB for us for the past 4 years!

And now we are forced to draft a rookie CB with our first pick and throw him to the wolves. Forget fixing the free safety position. Or fixing the O and D Lines.

Give me a F*ing break...

Super Mario gets it. He is realistic. He is honest. He is objective. Most importantly, he wants to win and isn't willing to give Bob the benefit of the doubt because frankly, he hasn't earned it. Bob has been cheap. Period.

Bob has shown nothing to me that shows he is committed to anything than the almighty dollar. Give me even just one example where he spent big money to get us competitive. Just one example of going out and getting a top tier guy. He hasn't because it would lower his profit margin.

Also, everyone points to the Skins and their spendy ways. First off, they go after too many long in the tooth veterans (shawn springs, deion sanders). Secondly, the problem in Washington isn't Snyder, its the fact that they STILL haven't addressed the QB position. You can't win without at least a decent QB especially in a brutal division. If McNair signs Haynesworth last year, we are 11-5 and in the playoffs and no one would want to play us. Just because the Skins didn't succeed doesn't make Haynesworth a bust, it makes their overall plan a bust. We have a QB. We have THE #1 WR. We have a young trending upwards defense. Take Cody out and replace him with Haynesworth. You would see Amobi's play improve but more importantly his effort and tricks of the trade would improve greatly. Bob didn't do it because it cost too much money. Signing Haynesworth wouldn't have made us get rid of anyone on our roster and wouldn't have even affected this year's roster. The salary cap is a soft cap that can be manipulated if you are just willing to pay the money. Bob isn't willing to spend the money.

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2010, 01:43 PM

its a one year deal, dude. one year. and doesn't affect next year's cap at all. in fact, you can be over the cap and franchise a guy.

if I was GM, i would have not re-signed Kubiak, and would have made a serious play at Cowher behind closed doors. This would put pressure on Kubes and show the fanbase there is a commitment to improve. As for DRob, I would have franchised him two years in a row but would not have given him a multi-year deal until he showed he was worth it.

some of yall act like its your money they are spending. it's not. some of yall act like if we spend money we are going to magically lose all our players. we just did lose one of our better players...by not spending money.

trust me, dunta is going to get a fat deal and its probably going to be a contending team that needs another corner and he is going to get much longer deal and much more guaranteed money than we were willing to give him.

if i was GM, we wouldn't be giving people extensions after going .500. that is for damn sure. and Super Mario had a great point about John Fox. Why reward failure. Kubiak has failed for 4 straight years but Bob was more than happy to give him 3 more. Just like his handling/coddling of Carr. Carebear owners don't win squat and I know this board has the hardcore fans go ask casual fan what they think of the Texans. They would say 'can't win when it counts'....because they have proven they can not win when it counts under kubiak.

but throw another parade, homers.

Second Honeymoon
02-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Here are some stats for you on the 2009 season:

yds per game
1. Antonio gates - 72.3
2. dallas clark - 69.1
3. owen daniels - 64.9
4. jason witten - 64.4
5. brent celek - 60.7

avg. yds per catch
1. marcedes lewis - 16.2
2. antonio gates - 14.6
3. kevin boss - 13.5
4. tony scheffler - 13.4
5. owen daniels - 13.0

receptions per game
1. dallas clark - 6.25
2. jason witten - 5.8
3. owen daniels - 5.0
4. antonio gates - 4.9
5. vernon davis - 4.8
6. kellen winslow - 4.8
7. brent celek - 4.75

TD per game
1. vernon davis - .8125
2. visanthe shiancoe - .6875
3. owen daniels - .625
4. dallas clark - .625
5. antonio gates - .5
6. brent celek - .5
7. kellen winslow - .3125
8. jason witten - .125

total receiving yds
1. antonio gates - 1157
2. dallas clark - 1106
3. owen daniels - on pace for 1038
4. jason witten - 1030
5. brent celek - 971
6. vernon davis - 965

Your move.....

per game numbers are skewed because he missed half the season. those other guys played 16 games and are in less pass-happy run-deficient offenses.

don't get me wrong. OD is a good TE, but he is not Top 5. Top 10 for sure. He is close to Top 5 maybe 6th or 7th at best, but he has to show me he can do what he did last year for a whole season before I consider him Top 5.

I would take Witten, Gonzalez, Davis, Gates, and Clark over him. No doubt. Then you he is in the 2nd tier with Heath Miller, Celek, and Shiankoe. Winslow is off my radar until he gets with a real QB.