PDA

View Full Version : Broncos cut center Wiegmann, RB Lamont

Section516
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
In their first personnel move since moving from zone-blocking to a more traditional power blocking offense, the Denver Broncos cut starting center Casey Wiegmann on Tuesday afternoon.

The Broncos have confirmed that Wiegmann has been cut and they also confirmed that backup running back LaMont Jordan was cut as well. The two releases will likely become official Wednesday.

Story continued at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4939608

Possible plug? Made pro bowl in 08

LonerATO
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
In their first personnel move since moving from zone-blocking to a more traditional power blocking offense, the Denver Broncos cut starting center Casey Wiegmann on Tuesday afternoon.

The Broncos have confirmed that Wiegmann has been cut and they also confirmed that backup running back LaMont Jordan was cut as well. The two releases will likely become official Wednesday.

Story continued at http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4939608

Possible plug? Made pro bowl in 08

I wouldnt mined seeing him come in

Tailgate
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Hmm.....

In 2008, under Shanahan he was the #2 rated Center in league at Profootballfocus.com

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2008&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

In 2009, under McDaniels he fell way down the list.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

LonerATO
02-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Hmm.....

In 2008, under Shanahan he was the #2 rated Center in league at Profootballfocus.com

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2008&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

In 2009, under McDaniels he fell way down the list.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=C&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Most of that is due to the change in scheme from ZBS to PBO, which Section posted above

Tailgate
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Most of that is due to the change in scheme from ZBS to PBO, which Section posted above

Yeah, thats basically what I was implying.

LonerATO
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, thats basically what I was implying.

my bad man

gary
02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I am sure Gary has already taken notice of this.

Section516
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Good news is Dennison might be able to sway him here...Saving us a draft pick this year..We gotta go after him, what do we have to lose? Myers? :turtle:

TexCanada
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
He is 36 though.

TheRealJoker
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Probably going to Washington.

mussop
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Broncos cut center Wiegmann

Wiegmann signed a two-year contract extension last summer. Wiegmann, 36, made the Pro Bowl in 2008 after his first season in Denver. However, the smallish Wiegmann became obsolete in Denver when the team decided to change blocking schemes this offseason.

Second-year coach Josh McDaniels kept the zone-blocking scheme used by former Denver coach Mike Shanahan in his first season in Denver. However, McDaniels was critical of the unit late last season. McDaniels kept Shanahan holdover Rick Dennison last year. Dennison became the offensive coordinator in Houston last month.

"Denver is changing its offense and it is moving on," Wiegmann's agent Joe Linta said. "Casey will move on as well. He has, at least, a couple of more good years left in him and he looks forward to continuing his career elsewhere."

Denver will likely try to draft or sign a new center in free agency. Denver will also likely look for upgrades at at least one guard spot. The team is set at tackle with Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris.

Jordan had 25 carries for 86 yards in Denver in 2009, his only season in Denver.

AnthonyE
02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to signing him.

midgetonadonkey
02-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Anyone is an upgrade over Meyers.

m5kwatts
02-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Already been posted in the "free agents that caught my eye" thread

D-ReK
02-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Already been posted in the "free agents that caught my eye" thread

Also already been posted in the NFL forum.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69810

Time for a merge.
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/1/1_05_05_07_7_44_57.jpg

Anyway, given the Denver connection and past zone blocking experience, I could see this happening. I'll set the over/under at 50.01%. The only things I could see preventing this are an unhealthy affinity towards Myers on the part of Kubiak, Kubiak thinking that Caldwell could be poised to take over the spot next year and not wanting to impede his progress, or a plan in place to draft a replacement since Wiegmann and Mawae appear to be the only decent options in free agency. I say bring the man in. He could give us flexibility to use Caldwell at guard and upgrade two positions at once. Myers and Studdard/Brisiel FTL!

barrett
02-24-2010, 03:31 AM
The big key here is Rick Dennison. Does he have a relationship that might bring Wiegmann here on a veteran minimum kind of situation. I would guess that a guy at that age has a comfort zone and it might appeal to him to work for peanuts in order to maintain that comfort zone. It also would give our line some much needed veteran leadership.

I see them entertaining the idea if the price is right as depth / "competition". All the while still drafting for the future at the position.

IDEXAN
02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Does he have a relationship that might bring Wiegmann here on a veteran minimum kind of situation.
If we go uncapped this season (which is looking more and more likely), there's no Vet minimum is there ?
But maybe look for the Shannys in DC to offer him a deal ?

JWarren14
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Scouts Inc Scouting Report on ESPN.com:

Comment: Wiegmann is a seasoned veteran who bounced around between three teams during his first two years before finding a home in Chicago in 1998. Since then he has played in a full 16 games schedule virtually every year while being a 16 game starter the past 7 years. He understands blocking angles and schemes and is almost like a coach on the field. He makes all the inline calls and shows no indecision in his play. He is slightly undersized but compensates for his lack of bulk with quickness, agility, and technique. While he can get overpowered by some of the leagues bigger nose tackles, he knows how to sink his hips to leverage his blocks and does an excellent job of keeping his feet alive and underneath him. His biggest asset is his ability to chip off the double team and bounce off to the second level to seal off and pick up back side flow. While he is not the athlete he was when he came in to the league, he still brings a lot to the table and gives the Bronco a quality starter at center.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I told the wife that Wiegmann would be a Texan soonish. However, now that I see that he'll be 37 in July, I'm not as confident. I guess it'd be a good signing if it were a good deal for the Texans. Heck, he'd push whoever's at C if not beat them out. He'd at least bring the veteran presence.

Hervoyel
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
It would be an excellent signing and I hope the Texans aren't going to get stupid blind over youth again. If this guy has 2-3 years left in him he'd be an enormous asset for us and buy us valuable time to put off the aquisition of a real starting center to replace Myers. The thing is once you have your center you're set for years to come but until you do it's just one season of funky, unpredicatable play in the middle after another. It would be nice to buy a little time and when we make the move for our guy get it right and not make a "we have to do something" kind of pick.

nero THE zero
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd rather have Mawae personally.

LonerATO
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Probably going to Washington.

I say that Texans have a better shot right now at landing him if they want him. Wiegmann has more of a shot at some playoff wins/super bowl with the Texans then he does with the Redskins right now.

El Tejano
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I was hoping someone would post about this. He would be a good asset to our team. I think he could provide a good quality center which I believe our OLine was lacking last year. With Brisel coming back those things could change but, I think our running game was a lack of a push up the middle.

bah007
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
It would be an excellent signing and I hope the Texans aren't going to get stupid blind over youth again. If this guy has 2-3 years left in him he'd be an enormous asset for us and buy us valuable time to put off the aquisition of a real starting center to replace Myers. The thing is once you have your center you're set for years to come but until you do it's just one season of funky, unpredicatable play in the middle after another. It would be nice to buy a little time and when we make the move for our guy get it right and not make a "we have to do something" kind of pick.

I think you nailed it Herv.

I also wouldn't complain if we signed Mawae, but I think Wiegmann has maybe a year or two more left in the tank than he does.

gary
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I am in the start Caldwell boat and let him get his feet wet but that is just me anyone but Myers please.

barrett
02-25-2010, 01:44 AM
I'd rather have Mawae personally.
Why?
I am in the start Caldwell boat and let him get his feet wet but that is just me anyone but Myers please.

There have been repeated reports that the Texans like Caldwell at RG.

Mike Kerns
02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I fully expect both Kubiak and Shanahan to give Wiegmann a call on March 5th.

ChampionTexan
02-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I fully expect both Kubiak and Shanahan to give Wiegmann a call on March 5th.

If he's been cut, they can call him immediately - they don't have to wait.

El Tejano
02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Aside from providing a real center, wouldn't the acquisition help in more areas along the offensive line than just one. I mean, with the return of Brisel (sp) I pretty much see us having 4 quality guards (Studdard, White, Brisel, Caldwell, and Myers) and 3 options at Center (Weigeman, Myers and Caldwell). That's alot of depth on the oline.

nero THE zero
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Why?

Because he's meaner, bigger, and better. Though, his age is obviously a bigger concern.

El Tejano
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Because he's meaner, bigger, and better. Though, his age is obviously a bigger concern.

Mawae is also a big time NFLPA guy. Doubt we go after him so that we can have some good practices...I'm mean walkthrough drills.

gary
02-25-2010, 10:17 PM
There have been repeated reports that the Texans like Caldwell at RG.Interesting.

record
03-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Looks like the Shanny's are after him:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/951099.html