PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Outlook Video - Houston Texans

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Houston Texans Offseason Outlook Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0I6T11CR0k)

Good Morning TexansTalk.com!!

I just want to start off by saying THANK YOU for allowing me to join your community and post here! Im looking forward to chatting it up with you guys all year!

We at Football Gameplan filmed Offseason Outlooks for every team.. I wanted you guys to check out the Texans video. If you can, please give me some feedback...both GOOD and BAD! I would like to continue to improve our videos and I need your constructive criticism! I've also posted this on other Texans forums just to give you guys a heads up..

I've also included in the video a link to your forum telling viewers if they want to talk more Texans football...here are their fan forums! I did this in an effort to hopefully work with you guys and not to compete!

Thanks again and Enjoy!

P.S.

I know this is my first couple of posts, and I hate that I'm asking you guys for a favor right off the bat, but if I've gone about this the wrong way...then I apologize :)

redwhiteANDblue
02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Welcome buddy!:fans: Oh and for some reason it says the video is private

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Welcome buddy!:fans: Oh and for some reason it says the video is private

Thanks Homie!! I'm looking forward to talkin' some football with you guys!

Oops!! There I fixed it.. it should be public now:handshake:

Thorn
02-21-2010, 11:06 AM
This is how you guys rate the Texans needs.

1. CB/S
2. DT
3. RB
4. WR
5. C/G/OLine

This is (so far) in another thread how we rate our needs.

1. RB
2. DT
3. C/G
4. CB
5. FS/S

As to your video, it was interesting. I think all of us here agree that the interior line (both sides) needs some serious help.

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 11:12 AM
This is how you guys rate the Texans needs.

1. CB/S
2. DT
3. RB
4. WR
5. C/G/OLine

This is (so far) in another thread how we rate our needs.

1. RB
2. DT
3. C/G
4. CB
5. FS/S

As to your video, it was interesting. I think all of us here agree that the interior line (both sides) needs some serious help.

Preciate the feedback!!

Question... Which RB do you want to Draft? Spiller,Dwyer,Matthews or wait to get Blount later on in the draft?

redwhiteANDblue
02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
LOL @ 1:07 "[DROB] is one of the top cornerbacks" :clap:

redwhiteANDblue
02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Anyways, GREAT insight guys! I never really thought about too much of the other positions beside a RB. Great vid

infantrycak
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
"Not gonna get no blocking." Holy double negative batman.

Thorn
02-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Preciate the feedback!!

Question... Which RB do you want to Draft? Spiller,Dwyer,Matthews or wait to get Blount later on in the draft?

Don't know, pick one. The draft is a crap shoot anyway. What they look like in college and try outs does not always translate to performance in the NFL. I'd like to see them get a functional RB, DT and CB in the first three rounds. If they actually get an NFL capable player on two of those three we'll be in good shape.

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
LOL @ 1:07 "[DROB] is one of the top cornerbacks" :clap:

LOL... I actually liked Robinson when he was a rookie... He was a BEAST! Injuries and Pride has killed him!

Anyways, GREAT insight guys! I never really thought about too much of the other positions beside a RB. Great vid

Thanks chief!

"Not gonna get no blocking." Holy double negative batman.
lol: Yo.. Sometimes Tyler be on a roll and once he's starts...good luck stopping him! LOL

Don't know, pick one. The draft is a crap shoot anyway. What they look like in college and try outs does not always translate to performance in the NFL. I'd like to see them get a functional RB, DT and CB in the first three rounds. If they actually get an NFL capable player on two of those three we'll be in good shape.

This is true.. I would like for you guys to get Spiller or Dwyer.. And Hope they pan out!

The Pencil Neck
02-21-2010, 12:49 PM
LOL... I actually liked Robinson when he was a rookie... He was a BEAST! Injuries and Pride has killed him!

I think, what killed Dunta wasn't injuries and pride, it was the loss of Aaron Glenn and being forced into a #1 role too early in his development and him not being able to handle it. I think being on a bad team early on hasn't helped him, either.

Last year our rookies, Quinn and McCain, really surprised me and really stepped up and contributed. Especially Quinn. Jacques Reeves is OK in spot duty but he worries me as a starter. Bennett and Molden have been real disappointments. Bennett looked like he was going to develop into a beast his rookie year but he's really dropped off. Molden has all the talent in the world but can't stay healthy. I don't know what we're going to do with the CB position. I don't know if we're going to let Dunta walk, bring in a FA like Leigh Bodden, or go early on one in the draft.

With the other positions, there's still a lot of disagreement on the right strategies to take.

RB: I rate this as a very high priority. We're supposed to be a running team. Kubiak doesn't want Schaub throwing 30-40 times a game. So we need to invest more in the Running Back position. Slaton's injury/surgery were pretty nasty and despite him saying he's going to be back by training camp, we can't assume that (Domanick Davis told us the same thing when his career was over). Foster has shown promise. Moats is good for spot duty and can give you an occasional game. But we need at least 1 RB in this draft, and I'd personally like to see 1 early and 1 late. Historically, Kubiak doesn't trust rookie RB's in passing situations for blitz pickups and wants a vet for that. So, I expect us to try to pick up someone in FA as well.

Interior OL: We drafted Caldwell last year and a lot of us expected him to take over for Myers at C. But they apparently like him at RG. Whether Pitts is coming back at LG is a big question. We could go G early in this draft. But I think C is the bigger priority. Myers bulked up and tried to get stronger last year and it didn't look like it worked. But Kubiak likes Myers... so I don't know. I'd like to see a C/G in the middle rounds.

Interior DL: A lot of people on the board, and a lot of people outside the Texans' organization see this as a big priority but I'm not sure that our defensive staff does. Shaun Cody and the rotation we were using last year wasn't horrible by the end of the season, especially with Smith dropping inside in passing situations. We drafted Frank Okam as a big, space eater DT a couple of years ago but he really hasn't produced and Kubiak hasn't really shown any desire to get space eater DT's but we overhauled our defensive coaching last year, so I don't know if it's part of their philosophy or not. Okoye has not been what we expected and his development hasn't been as meteoric as we were lead to believe it would be.

DE: In the video, you guys say that we need another DE to get some pressure opposite of Mario. And that's true. And we paid some money to Antonio Smith to alleviate that a little bit, and he did that to some degree. But we also used our 2nd round pick last year to pick up a developmental player for that position and he did pretty well in that position. I don't expect us to do anything with DE this offseason unless we nab some low priced FAs.

WR: I hope we don't lose Kevin Walter. We're actually pretty deep at WR, though. I know most of our guys don't get a lot of press but Jacoby Jones is developing into a very explosive and dangerous receiver, if he can keep his head on straight. David Anderson is a gutsy, fiesty little slot guy. If we draft WR, I expect it to be late.

S: Bernard Pollard stepped in and improved our defense. Eugene Wilson, although he's getting up there, is pretty good paired up with him. Dominique Barber actually wasn't too bad when he came in after Eugene got injured, but then he got injured himself. FS has historically been a problem position for us. It would be nice to get a FS in the middle of the draft this year but I wouldn't mind someone a little bit higher.

TE: I think we get OD back. I think Dreessen is good in spot duty and I have high hopes for James Casey for the future. I think we're set here.

LB: We've got to bring Demeco back. Period. Ryans and Cushing are great together. Diles is also surprisingly good although most of us expected Adibi to win that WILL spot last year. We've got some good depth and if we draft LB, it will be a WILL later in the draft.

False Start
02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
So which guy are you? ..... just wondering. Cool video BTW. :cool:

Lucky
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Preciate the feedback!!

Spiller looks like a Pro Bowl type RB. But, I expect he will be off the board well before the Texans spot at #19 or #20. I would be OK with Dwyer and Matthews in the 2nd round (not the 1st). But, my feeling is that there would be better overall prospects available. That's why I would lean towards Blount or maybe LSU's Charles Scott in the middle rounds. The Texans don't need to put all of their RB eggs in one basket. Foster, a vet free agent, and a rookie could provide a good RB-by-committee group. Anything they get from Slaton in 2010 would be a bonus.
I think, what killed Dunta wasn't injuries and pride, it was the loss of Aaron Glenn and being forced into a #1 role too early in his development and him not being able to handle it.
I agree with much of your positional analysis. But, what has hurt Robinson was his massive knee injury in 2007. Dunta was playing at a Pro Bowl level prior to his devestaing injury in Oakland. He was looking at a Clements or Samuel type payday. Now, Robinson lacks the explosiveness he once had. JAG at CB and definitely not worth the franchise tag.

It's difficult for me to rank the Texans needs, position by position. Looking ahead to 2010, what's obvious to me is that the Texans need to improve on running the ball and stopping the run. Is it the offensive line, the running backs, or the scheme that need tweaking? I say the answer is all of the above.

And the Texans will again face Chris Johnson and MJD 2X in 2010. Along with strong rushing attacks such as the Jets, Ravens, Cowboys, and Giants. The Texans need to get more physical up the middle. That means finding a big body to protect DeMeco Ryans and less Amobi Okoye in the base defense.

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
So which guy are you? ..... just wondering. Cool video BTW. :cool:

Thanks Homie! I'm Emory...the one on the right.

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I think, what killed Dunta wasn't injuries and pride, it was the loss of Aaron Glenn and being forced into a #1 role too early in his development and him not being able to handle it. I think being on a bad team early on hasn't helped him, either.

Last year our rookies, Quinn and McCain, really surprised me and really stepped up and contributed. Especially Quinn. Jacques Reeves is OK in spot duty but he worries me as a starter. Bennett and Molden have been real disappointments. Bennett looked like he was going to develop into a beast his rookie year but he's really dropped off. Molden has all the talent in the world but can't stay healthy. I don't know what we're going to do with the CB position. I don't know if we're going to let Dunta walk, bring in a FA like Leigh Bodden, or go early on one in the draft.

With the other positions, there's still a lot of disagreement on the right strategies to take.

RB: I rate this as a very high priority. We're supposed to be a running team. Kubiak doesn't want Schaub throwing 30-40 times a game. So we need to invest more in the Running Back position. Slaton's injury/surgery were pretty nasty and despite him saying he's going to be back by training camp, we can't assume that (Domanick Davis told us the same thing when his career was over). Foster has shown promise. Moats is good for spot duty and can give you an occasional game. But we need at least 1 RB in this draft, and I'd personally like to see 1 early and 1 late. Historically, Kubiak doesn't trust rookie RB's in passing situations for blitz pickups and wants a vet for that. So, I expect us to try to pick up someone in FA as well.

Interior OL: We drafted Caldwell last year and a lot of us expected him to take over for Myers at C. But they apparently like him at RG. Whether Pitts is coming back at LG is a big question. We could go G early in this draft. But I think C is the bigger priority. Myers bulked up and tried to get stronger last year and it didn't look like it worked. But Kubiak likes Myers... so I don't know. I'd like to see a C/G in the middle rounds.

Interior DL: A lot of people on the board, and a lot of people outside the Texans' organization see this as a big priority but I'm not sure that our defensive staff does. Shaun Cody and the rotation we were using last year wasn't horrible by the end of the season, especially with Smith dropping inside in passing situations. We drafted Frank Okam as a big, space eater DT a couple of years ago but he really hasn't produced and Kubiak hasn't really shown any desire to get space eater DT's but we overhauled our defensive coaching last year, so I don't know if it's part of their philosophy or not. Okoye has not been what we expected and his development hasn't been as meteoric as we were lead to believe it would be.

DE: In the video, you guys say that we need another DE to get some pressure opposite of Mario. And that's true. And we paid some money to Antonio Smith to alleviate that a little bit, and he did that to some degree. But we also used our 2nd round pick last year to pick up a developmental player for that position and he did pretty well in that position. I don't expect us to do anything with DE this offseason unless we nab some low priced FAs.

WR: I hope we don't lose Kevin Walter. We're actually pretty deep at WR, though. I know most of our guys don't get a lot of press but Jacoby Jones is developing into a very explosive and dangerous receiver, if he can keep his head on straight. David Anderson is a gutsy, fiesty little slot guy. If we draft WR, I expect it to be late.

S: Bernard Pollard stepped in and improved our defense. Eugene Wilson, although he's getting up there, is pretty good paired up with him. Dominique Barber actually wasn't too bad when he came in after Eugene got injured, but then he got injured himself. FS has historically been a problem position for us. It would be nice to get a FS in the middle of the draft this year but I wouldn't mind someone a little bit higher.

TE: I think we get OD back. I think Dreessen is good in spot duty and I have high hopes for James Casey for the future. I think we're set here.

LB: We've got to bring Demeco back. Period. Ryans and Cushing are great together. Diles is also surprisingly good although most of us expected Adibi to win that WILL spot last year. We've got some good depth and if we draft LB, it will be a WILL later in the draft.

This is one hellava breakdown!! This is a big reason why I came here.. NOBODY knows their team like a true Fan of their team!! Awesome Analysis!

EmDiggy
02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Spiller looks like a Pro Bowl type RB. But, I expect he will be off the board well before the Texans spot at #19 or #20. I would be OK with Dwyer and Matthews in the 2nd round (not the 1st). But, my feeling is that there would be better overall prospects available. That's why I would lean towards Blount or maybe LSU's Charles Scott in the middle rounds. The Texans don't need to put all of their RB eggs in one basket. Foster, a vet free agent, and a rookie could provide a good RB-by-committee group. Anything they get from Slaton in 2010 would be a bonus.

I agree with much of your positional analysis. But, what has hurt Robinson was his massive knee injury in 2007. Dunta was playing at a Pro Bowl level prior to his devestaing injury in Oakland. He was looking at a Clements or Samuel type payday. Now, Robinson lacks the explosiveness he once had. JAG at CB and definitely not worth the franchise tag.

It's difficult for me to rank the Texans needs, position by position. Looking ahead to 2010, what's obvious to me is that the Texans need to improve on running the ball and stopping the run. Is it the offensive line, the running backs, or the scheme that need tweaking? I say the answer is all of the above.

And the Texans will again face Chris Johnson and MJD 2X in 2010. Along with strong rushing attacks such as the Jets, Ravens, Cowboys, and Giants. The Texans need to get more physical up the middle. That means finding a big body to protect DeMeco Ryans and less Amobi Okoye in the base defense.

I'm with you on Dunta... He was playing at a pro bowl level until the injury...

As The Pencil Neck also put it... the loss of Aaron Glenn really hurt..

It is tough to look at a team now (this early in the offseason) to see where they stack up.. but I will say this.. You guys are a RB and Solid Secondary away from traveling deep into the playoffs

TheRealJoker
02-21-2010, 05:02 PM
In the secondary we need a ballhawk. Aaron Glenn was the only true playmaker we've had in the back end that could make game changing plays consistently. This is one of several reasons that I believe we have so many tough close losses to the Colts. I think Earl Thomas could be our Ed Reed, a guy that can get us 6+ INTs per year and/or force QBs to adjust their gameplan and open up opportunities for the other players in the secondary. The Texans have never had a true playmaker at safety since their inception. Now that we've got Pollard, if we can get a ballhawk next to him we're looking at one of the best safety tandems in the league for years to come.

On the other hand... we also need help in the interior OL/DL. Two things stood out last season: When the offense couldn't get a yard to tie the game against the Cardinals and when the defense couldn't stop MJD from getting a yard to get the ball back and have a chance to win the game against the Jags. A dominant interior OL/DL player can fix one of those two weaknesses. I lean towards the OL guy because i'm sick of seeing our offense stall inside the 10 yard line. But in order to have our defense reach its full potential we need a big body that can keep blockers off our dominant LB core while also having the ability to push the pocket which would allow Mario to start turning pressures into sacks.

I think Pouncey or Dan Williams can be the solution to one side of our interior.

As far as RB is concerned, i'd rather take an OL first to give me peace of mind that the trenches will be fixed rather than throwing a high pick at a player who will be running behind the same mess we had last year after Pitts/Brisiel went down. If CJ Spiller falls its hard not to tab him BPA, but other than him i'd rather fix one of the above mentioned problems before taking a RB. Especially the OL.

Watching the playoffs this year I felt like, despite this team's weaknesses, they were good enough to compete with any team playing. All teams have weaknesses, its just a matter of shoring them up just enough to get the win at the end. We were in every game this year except for the opening day loss to the Jets. Out of 6 close losses, if we shore up our weaknesses just enough to win one of those games next year we'll be heading to the playoffs.

PS: Your list forgot to mention kicker. Kris Brown got the yips this year and cost us a chance at OT in 2 divisional games. Kicker has to be a need for the Texans heading into the offseason. KB just signed a lucrative contract last summer so he'll be in camp this offseason, but we need a viable contender to push him in training camp and to beat him out if he ends up being better than KB.

PPS: The Chris/Kris Brown combo effectively cost us a chance at OT in 4 of our 7 losses this year. Odds are we would've won at least one of those OT games and made the playoffs had they not shat the bed. Our biggest priority this offseason is to get the Rihanna curse off of our team!!!

steelbtexan
02-21-2010, 05:55 PM

The RB situation would be solved by trading a 1st for DeAngelo Williams. He would be the best RB in this draft. He doesn't have many miles on him. Williams is also good in pass pro. This is something that is a gamble when you draft a rookie.

Signing an FA like L.White could also be a possibility.