PDA

View Full Version : First Rounder for DeAngelo Williams?

JWarren14
02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The Carolina Panthers have the luxury of two potentially dominant running backs on the roster, in spite of the fact that both battled injuries in 2009. So is it time to cash one of them in to try and move back into the first round of the draft?

In addition to the Julius Peppers saga, that's the top offseason question they must address, according to Bill Barnwell of the Football Outsiders. Barnwell thinks they might move DeAngelo Williams to the San Diego Chargers in exchange for the Chargers' top pick (No. 28 overall). In the same vein, it's possible the Panthers might give the Houston Texans a call, since they need a top RB, and could return a slightly higher pick (either No. 19 or 20, depending on a coin flip).

I don't expect these RB rumors to slow down for us until we either sign or draft a RB, a bit of an interesting thought to give up a 1st for DeAngelo Williams. Too much? Not worth it?

jaayteetx
02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
No thanks, RB careers too short to risk trading a valuable pick like a #1 on, especially an injury prone RB.

Texecutioner
02-19-2010, 05:24 PM
No thanks, RB careers too short to risk trading a valuable pick like a #1 on, especially an injury prone RB.

I don't remember Williams having a bad injury history. Nothing major. You're thinking of Stewart. I wouldn't trade a #1 for him either though. I would possibly for a 2nd though.

beerlover
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
best 1st rd. picks in Texans history -

1. Andre Johnson

2. Brian Cushing

3. Mario Williams

4. DeAngelo Williams?

Texan4Ever
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I doubt Kubiak would ever trade for a running back by giving up a first round pick. Also, I would be suprised if draft a running back in the first two rounds of the draft.

DeAngelo Williams is a solid running back but he had a good rushing offensive team (linemen knew how to open up holes). Thanks, but no thanks...

Jackie Chiles
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I absolutely would. He is only 26 years old and the last three years he has had at least a 5.0 ypc. If he only has 4 years of top level performance in him so be it. That first rounder is no guarantee and we need someone like Williams to make an impact right now. He is a complete back and would be a huge upgrade. Still have the rest of the draft and FA to try and fill another couple holes. I really hope they at least consider this.

Second Honeymoon
02-19-2010, 08:24 PM
no brainer. i would pull the trigger on that move in a heartbeat. he hasn't been injury prone either. dude is a helluva back and arguably the 2nd best up and coming young RB behind chris johnson.

Joe Texan
02-20-2010, 12:05 AM
He had beeter be a Emmit Smith wannabe/performer to draw 1st from any team

brakos82
02-20-2010, 02:36 AM
no brainer. i would pull the trigger on that move in a heartbeat. he hasn't been injury prone either. dude is a helluva back and arguably the 2nd best up and coming young RB behind chris johnson.

Don't leave out Adrian, but yeah.

mattieuk
02-20-2010, 02:56 AM
I was high on DeAngelo coming out of college, like I was high on AP coming out of college. I would have busted a gut as a GM to make a play for one of these guys. DeAngelo is the kind of running back we need give that boy the ball in the red zone, and 6 points soon appear.

Desclaimer: If I was our GM we'd probably have Colt Brennan backing up Big Bad Schaub, and Reggie Bush returning punts, so I'm not claiming armchair GM of the year.....yet.

RazorOye
02-20-2010, 08:04 AM
take him out of the NFC South

puh-leeze!

jaayteetx
02-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't remember Williams having a bad injury history. Nothing major. You're thinking of Stewart. I wouldn't trade a #1 for him either though. I would possibly for a 2nd though.

Oops, my bad, I still wouldn't make the move though.

steelbtexan
02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
best 1st rd. picks in Texans history -

1. Andre Johnson

2. Brian Cushing

3. Mario Williams

4. DeAngelo Williams?

This

IDEXAN
02-20-2010, 12:56 PM
There aren't many NFL backs I'd exchange a first round pick for, unless it was
a very late first round pick. Chris Johnson obviously and many the little guy with the Jags, but that's all in the AFC South. Elsewhere in the league Peterson, but who else would the Texans exchange their 20th (or 19th) pick for ?

TheRealJoker
02-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Does anyone remember how close we came to drafting Williams in 06?

It would've cost us what turned out to be DeMeco and OD but had the Bills not leapfrogged us for John McCargo, we would've had 2 Williams in the 1st round 06.

Section516
02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Don't put the cart before the horse.

Get a line a back can run behind.

Second Honeymoon
02-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't put the cart before the horse.

Get a line a back can run behind.

get Chris Myers out of town and mission accomplished.

mexican_texan
02-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I watched DeAngelo Williams play for Memphis in a bowl game...I was in awe, hands down the best college football running back I have seen this decade. Yes, better than AP. I compared him to Barry Sanders before the draft, he started getting those compliments elsewhere during the 2008 season. He's something special.

Ryan
02-21-2010, 01:33 AM
No deal for me. He is an awesome back but we have bigger needs.

beerlover
02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
No deal for me. He is an awesome back but we have bigger needs.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1369217#post1369217

Updated with new votes.

Here's the voting by round so far.

1. DT and RB tied, and by a large margin over other positions
2. C/G with CB a close second
3. DT with RB a close second
4. DT and RB tied, with CB a close second
5. C/G and S tied
6. OLine and RB tied
7. Kicker

To get a better idea what yall think is most important, I tallied the votes and assigned them a rating. Round 1 picks get 7 points, round 2 picks get 6 points and so on. Belows is the highest vote getters by position.

RB 136 points
DT 132 points
C/G 115 points
CB 109 points
FS/S 84 points

So, SURPRISE! Yall think RB and DT are the two most important things in the draft. LOL

IDEXAN
02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I compared him to Barry Sanders before the draft, he started getting those compliments elsewhere during the 2008 season. He's something special.
I thought that comparison was reserved for one Reggie Bush ?

mexican_texan
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought that comparison was reserved for one Reggie Bush ?
Nah, that was Gayle Sayers. And Walter Payton. And Jesus.

djohn2oo8
02-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Our offense would only benefit by this....Andre the threat a WR, Matt at QB, DeAngelo at RB

TheRealJoker
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Given the fact that this SHOULD be a playoffs or bust year for Kubiak I wouldn't mind him using our 1st rounder on a young already proven player at a position of need. I'd prefer to shore up the OL with the 1st round pick if I had to choose between the two positions but a proven veteran trumps an unknown commodity.

DeAngelo would have a Michael Turner impact on this team as soon as he lands in Houston. Unfortunately, it seems like its rare that blue chip players like him are traded in their prime.

steelbtexan
02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
DeAngelo Williams and picking up Chris Kuper in FA would go along way towards solving the Texans run game problems. Sign me up for the proven vet route

Mr teX
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM
yes, i'd do that in a heartbeat..especially with how deep the secondary prospects are this year..

The Pencil Neck
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
A first is really hard to part with.

But I'd really love to have DeAngelo Williams in a Texans' Uni.

Lucky
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
DeAngelo Williams will be in the last year of his rookie contract in 2010. The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart, so it's a no brainer for them to get something for Williams before he becomes a free agent.

The Texans already have Ryans, Daniels, and Pollard on expired contracts. Fortunately, these players are restricted free agents due to the odd salary caps rules for the uncapped season. If there is a 2011 sason, there will be a salary cap. And the Texans will be forced to deal with these players, as they can only franchise tag one. Add DeAngelo Williams to the mix, and it would be an impossible task to get all under contract.

From a football sense, DeAngelo Williams makes sense. From a financial viewpoint, Williams as a Texan makes no $cents.

ChampionTexan
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
DeAngelo Williams will be in the last year of his rookie contract in 2010. The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart, so it's a no brainer for them to get something for Williams before he becomes a free agent.

The Texans already have Ryans, Daniels, and Pollard on expired contracts. Fortunately, these players are restricted free agents due to the odd salary caps rules for the uncapped season. If there is a 2011 sason, there will be a salary cap. And the Texans will be forced to deal with these players, as they can only franchise tag one. Add DeAngelo Williams to the mix, and it would be an impossible task to get all under contract.

From a football sense, DeAngelo Williams makes sense. From a financial viewpoint, Williams as a Texan makes no $cents.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but if both teams wanted to do the deal, the Texans could negotiate an extension/new deal with Williams, and have the successful conclusion to those negotiations a contingency of actually finalizing the trade - ala the Patriots trade for Randy Moss a couple of years ago.

But as you say, a first round draft pick for an RB who could easily move on after one season makes precious little sense.

Dutchrudder
02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Holy crap! Hell yes he's worth a 1st round pick! Better yet, package Dunta and a 3rd rounder and use that to get him. Totally worth it either way, Deangelo is an excellent RB!

theanswer000
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
If we do this they need to give us DeAngelo Williams and Andre Goodson. We could give them Jacoby if needed.

steelbtexan
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
After seeing the RB's at the combine they should trade a 1st for Williams. Then find a way to make the $ work.

They just saved 10 mil on Dunta and went up on season tickets 7%. Money shouldn't be an issue. This is even with resigning Ryans,Pollard and OD. (They're not going to re-sign OD this offseason anyway.)

There's no cap this year?

$ Shouldn't be a problem for McNair. But they always seem to have contract negociation problems.

Blake
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
After seeing the RB's at the combine they should trade a 1st for Williams. Then find a way to make the $ work.

They just saved 10 mil on Dunta and went up on season tickets 7%. Money shouldn't be an issue. This is even with resigning Ryans,Pollard and OD. (They're not going to re-sign OD this offseason anyway.)

There's no cap this year?

$ Shouldn't be a problem for McNair. But they always seem to have contract negociation problems.

So let me get this straight. The Running Backs didnt run a 40 yard dash fast enough, so we should send our first round pick for a running back?

No thanks.

Texecutioner
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
So let me get this straight. The Running Backs didnt run a 40 yard dash fast enough, so we should send our first round pick for a running back?

No thanks.

Apparently some people seem to think that we've got a great defense all of a sudden that doesn't have any holes anymore.

steelbtexan
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM

No thanks.

I will take a proven pro-bowl type plyer over an unknown 1st rd pick any day. It's not like Williams doesn't have another 5 great years left.

Williams is the best RB that's available this year. (If the reports are true)

That includes college and FA RB's IMO

BIG TORO
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I like williams but dont think he is worth a first rounder if thats the case then just pick a fresh RB from draft with no miles. This draft has everything you can look for in RB's big ones, fast ones and all fresh ones.

steelbtexan
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Apparently some people seem to think that we've got a great defense all of a sudden that doesn't have any holes anymore.

No, but we've got a competent defense. The value in this draft is DB,DT and RB. I just think DB and DT is deeper than RB this year.

It wouldn't bother me if the Texans developed an elite offense that could be on par with the Colts offense.

My philosopy is you're not going to out defend Manning. So you better be able to keep the ball away from him. Like the Saints did in the SB.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a complete RB. One that can get short yardage,also break off an 80 yd run and pass block along with catch passes out of the backfield.

The Texans have never had a RB that's a weapon like this.

Williams is worth more to this team as a whole than a 1st rd pick like Wilson,D.Williams or a rookie like R.Mathews. IMHO

gtexan02
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
The best defense is a ball controling offense, right?

BigBull17
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM

And has never been rode into the ground. Not as much wear and tear. I would do it, as I think he's better than an unproven guy.

Texecutioner
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
No, but we've got a competent defense. The value in this draft is DB,DT and RB. I just think DB and DT is deeper than RB this year.

It wouldn't bother me if the Texans developed an elite offense that could be on par with the Colts offense.

My philosopy is you're not going to out defend Manning. So you better be able to keep the ball away from him. Like the Saints did in the SB.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a complete RB. One that can get short yardage,also break off an 80 yd run and pass block along with catch passes out of the backfield.

The Texans have never had a RB that's a weapon like this.

Williams is worth more to this team as a whole than a 1st rd pick like Wilson,D.Williams or a rookie like R.Mathews. IMHO

I don't understand why so many people put all of this stock in beating Manning. Sure they're in our division and we've got to play them twice a year, but the key is to get the best record out of 16 games to make the post season. So you don't build a team to beat one team. That's just crazy. You build a solid team that can be competitive all over the place with every team.

The Texans defense was inconsistent all season long last year. Our offense may need help in the running game, but the offense can still put up a lot of points and the defense needs to improve a lot more. They were inconsistent all season long. They got better at the end of the year and all, but that's no reason to think that they still don't have some big holes especially with Dunta leaving now. Teams that are good in this league year in and year out typically have great defenses or have very good defenses. We need to put together a very good defense.

I agree that RB is a major need right now, but we could just as easily be fixing that in free agency, and that's the one position that the Texans will go after in free agency, but they need to get a young back and not some aging guy like LT. I'd be perfectly fine with Lendale White right now, because he's a great short yardage back and he wouldn't be all that expensive. You take Lendale and put him in rotation with Slaton and Foster and Moats and draft another guy like in the 3rd or 4th and I think we're just fine if the O line could open up some holes. With our first round pick though, we need to get talent on the defense though. We need to build an elite defense.

Funny you mention the Saints, well what do you think finally made them an elite team?? Their defense. THey've had a great offense the last few years, bu they couldn't stop other teams from scoring at all. They finally got a nice unit on defense and BROUGHT IN A SAFETY who could make plays and that team went from being an 8-8 type of team to having the best record in the NFC and winning the SB. Their offense had been great already though. The Texans have a great offense. THey need a solid defense now and we've got to use that 1st pick on that side of the ball. Our secondary could easily be one of the worst secondaries in the league next season if we don't bring in some new guys.

Blake
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Give me a badass linebacker or secondary player over a RB anyday. I can get a RB via the draft.

Texecutioner
03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Give me a badass linebacker or secondary player over a RB anyday. I can get a RB via the draft.

People forget how atrocious our secondary was for most of the season last year and now we won't have Dunta either. If Pollard gets hurt, man things could get very very ugly. We still need a run stuffing DT as well.

infantrycak
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
We still need a run stuffing DT as well.

Run stuffing DT huh? We had the 2nd best run D in the league after the first three games. If anything we need to collapse the pocket.

IBleedTexans
03-01-2010, 02:22 PM
People forget how atrocious our secondary was for most of the season last year and now we won't have Dunta either. If Pollard gets hurt, man things could get very very ugly. We still need a run stuffing DT as well.

I would much rather have Earl thomas than d Williams . Our offense can do without an elite rb. In this new NFL it's more of a pass offense now a days .

Texecutioner
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I would much rather have Earl thomas than d Williams . Our offense can do without an elite rb. In this new NFL it's more of a pass offense now a days .

Totally agreed. I want Earl Thomas more than any other player in the first round other than Eric Berry, but he'll be gone for sure. We need a play making safety big time though and with Dunta being gone, now we have a need at CB.

wagonhed
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
How about we trade our 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd and then trade the 2nd and 3rd for two other RBs that are proven but not so high-value as DWill.

steelbtexan
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Well I guess that settles it.

Nobody would be willing to give up a 1st for a proven superstar RB.

But would rather spend a 1st on an unproven DT,FS or CB. I think I got it.

Oh by the way the reason the Texans didn't make the playoffs is if you go 1-5 in the division you aren't going to make the playoffs.

Am I right thinking back, did our RB's directly contribute to atleast 3 division losses.

If we go 3-3 which is as good as has ever been done by this team in this division. That means they have to go atleast 7-3 in the other 10 games to make the playoffs.

We have to be able to split with the division to make the playoffs and the best way to do that is to beef up the offense. IMHO

So far trying to out defend everybody in the division has worked out well for us hasn't it.

Texecutioner
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Am I right thinking back, did our RB's directly contribute to atleast 3 division losses.

Really? You don't think are awful secondary had anything to do with those losses at all? The same secondary that is losing Dunta now as well? We had one of the best offenses in the league last season and in those games you're talking about with the RB's screwing up we scored a lot of points in those games. Stopping the other team from scoring was a bigger problem in those games than running the ball was. Our offense was still going up and down the field.

And we can still get a RB in the 2nd,3rd, or 4th round of the draft any way.

The Pencil Neck
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
The thing is that there are multiple things that need to get fixed.

We need to fix the RB position. We need to add another quality CB. We could really use a good FS. We could use a better C and we may need a G. We could really use a space eating DT.

The first thing is that we're not going to fix everything.

The second thing is that there's not ONE right way to address our issues so that we get into the playoffs next year, there's a variety of right ways.

We can use our #1, #2, #3 picks on a CB, a S, and a RB in whatever order you want. We could even go with a DT or C/G on one of those picks and push down one of the other needs.

And the Texans can be successful doing any of those things... if they pick the right guys and pick up the right guys in FA.

DeAngelo Williams would almost definitely solve our RB position. For 1-3 years. He's already used up 4 years of tread and if we pick right, we could pick up a guy with comparable talents and skills who will have a longer career with us. So, I'm really hesitant to trade a #1 for a guy who's probably not going to play that long for us.

I had hoped we'd be able to pick up Ryan Matthews with our #2 pick but after his Combine performance, we'd be lucky to grab him with our #1 pick. But this is a deep draft on RBs. So I'm sure we'll be able to nab someone really good in the first 3 rounds.

Goatcheese
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM

The secondary was, at worst, average for most of last year. It just went downhill when Wilson went out. He was playing center field in our cover-3 heavy defense, and Busing just couldn't cut it.

That was probably best illustrated by the long Ginn TD that was called back week 16. That post route should have played right into our coverage with Robinson in man coverage playing outside leverage and Busing playing a deep middle zone. With Wilson there it's probably an interception, but Busing was 10+ yards behind the play.

If only we had a quality FS that could be relied on to start 19 games. :pissed: