PDA

View Full Version : So whose gonna be the next Texans?

m5kwatts
02-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Everyone hyped the Cardinals for years as the next breakout team, they disappointed a few years, then actually did it.

The Texans seem to be following this same suit here (which can be debated in the Texans forum obviously).

My question is, whose the next Texans? Whose that team coming from the pits into the discussion of "breakout team" (which they'll certainly be for a few years, disappoint, then actually break out).

I'm gonna throw out my suggestions, spare the "thats laughable talk," the purpose here is to be a little ridiculous and point to a team in the pits as a team who could follow the Texans down the Cardinals path.

Detroit Lions

Their 2009 class is 2006 Texans-esque, hitting on atleast 4 and possibly more picks, laying the foundation for a franchise with hope. Stafford has all the "IT" you ask for in a young developing QB, Delmas had a Demeco-like immediate rookie impact and Pettigrew was more than solid when healthy. Throw in Levy the LB from Wisconsin and Sammie Lee Hill and they really laid a great foundation. Ernie Sims and Jeff Backus highlight their few quality holdovers from the previously atrocious regime, similar to that of Andre, Pitts, Dunta etc. I really like the way this team is building and a progression of 6 wins to 8 wins to 8 wins to contender is very much a possibility here.

St. Louis Rams

Ok, now its ok to laugh. Now let me say this, I think Spagnuolo IS a legit head coach. His enthusiasm never burnt out all year and he had this group competing against very quality opponents for some games (Texans, Saints particularly). He was using glorified table scraps in his defensive scheme that won a Super Bowl for the Giants. His players are buying in, I watched their practices last year on NFLN and Spags has a great personality and really owns the room. Jason Smith should be a player in this league, Lauranitus was an immediate hit and.... well... Donnie Avery went to UH. They need a lot of talent but for what was there they overachieved by winning 1 game. Add Suh to this bunch along with another solid draft class, consider the fact that the NFC west is the worst division in football by a mile and that Kurt Warner retired, contending in 3-4 years isn't THAT ridiculous. Ok go back to laughing.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I could probably ditto the entire Rams paragraph here too. The HC survived the initial storm which can't be said of some recent 1 and done NFL HC's (Petrino, Cam Cameron, Jim Mora) and his enthusiasm never died. They beat the Saints at the end of the year and Josh Freeman has the "it" factors and flashed franchise QB qualities. They have young pieces on defense (Talib, Ruud, Phillips) and a solid foundation on their o-line. There's something there to build on and with high draft picks (remember their picks last year were in the 17-19 range) and a ton of free agent money, they could have some assemblance of a roster worthy of being called "up and coming" in a few years.

So who do you think can be the next Texans? How ridiculous are my assessments?

mattieuk
02-16-2010, 03:26 AM
I'll throw the 49ers in that pile as well!

A very Texans like season this past year!

SheTexan
02-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Redskins!! :)

machineo
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
St. Louis looks good, though probably not by next year. But if they do the right thing and go for Suh, they'll have a solid core with him, Long and Lauranitis.

BIG TORO
02-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Redskins!! :)

I have to agree, Washington is making some moves up there and If they draft a QB like sam bradford they will make NFC east even tougher.

Joe Texan
02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
San Fran is the next team coming out

m5kwatts
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
St. Louis looks good, though probably not by next year. But if they do the right thing and go for Suh, they'll have a solid core with him, Long and Lauranitis.

I forgot about Long, he's another piece too.

San Fran is interesting but I'd say they're too good to be on this list.

TexCanada
02-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Falcons for sure. Matt Ryan to Roddy White is pretty unstoppable.

m5kwatts
02-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Falcons for sure. Matt Ryan to Roddy White is pretty unstoppable.

I think they've already arrived. San Fran, ATL, HOU, I think they're all sitting in the same boat right now. All 3 were in the pits just a few years ago though.

WWJD
02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
The Falcons have been to the playoffs in the last few years. The Cards beat them their SB year. They've semi "arrived" if you will...

False Start
02-17-2010, 11:24 AM
San Fran is the next team coming out

I think the whole city of SF has "come out." :)

HOUFan
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I think the whole city of SF has "come out." :)

Zing!