PDA

View Full Version : 'Look for Texans, 49ers to become contenders in 2010'

Malloy
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Article on nfl.com:

The Houston Texans just missed the playoffs, but finished the season strong. Now, they're a hot pick to do damage next season.

Raise your hand if you've heard that before.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81667121&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

barrett
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
What I'm noticing that is different this time around is that we are the "favorite" to make the jump in even more articles than ever before. It's not even just a popular pick anymore. It's so obvious that it's not even debatable.

Malloy
02-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Jup, we're now expected to shine... I feel all fuzzy now :)

badboy
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
16 games of the defense we ended with, Slaton returning even 80% to rookie year, a healthy Oline for 16 games and Schaub with a pile moving Rb behind said Oline. THen if OD is healthy or Dreesen or that other TE that can do everything and we just might have a really good year.

Texecutioner
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
This feels like last off season all over again.

Ryan
02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Deja vu. It seems like the same article comes around every year. Same two teams.

Double Barrel
02-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Blind squirrel, meet nut. Nut, meet the blind squirrel. It is inevitable that y'all will meet at some point, just like the laws of average state that the Texans will eventually get into the playoffs at some point. Then these analysts can stick their chests out and pat themselves on the back for 'believing' in our team.

JWarren14
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Houston is a lock to make its first postseason appearance next year

Alright! Well everyone look for an extended season next year!

Thorn
02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
from the article: The only things that kept them out of the playoffs in 2009 were a few missed field goals.

No, what kept them out of the playoffs were more than just a few missed field goals. It was the mental aspect of a team not yet ready to nail their opponets to the wall. The Texans have the players necessary to make the playoffs with their current roster. Add in a few additions this off season, and they'll be more than ready talent wise. But, will they ever pick up the mental attitude to win the tough ones? That's the deal.

infantrycak
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
fNo, what kept them out of the playoffs were more than just a few missed field goals.

No it was a few missed field goals, but as one possibility of a list of things any of which could have changed and they make the playoffs.

Thorn
02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
No it was a few missed field goals, but as one possibility of a list of things any of which could have changed and they make the playoffs.

The missed field goals and the fumbles on the goal line, yeah, we missed the playoffs. The Brown twins cost us. But we had our chances in all the games except for the opener against the Jets where we just blew it. Even before Pollard when everyone and their brother was running all over us, we still could have won. But, we didn't. Hell, we beat the Inbreds when they were all over us early in the season.

I'm hoping we get past this. I'm hoping Kubiak gets the team going this year. We certainly have the players to win, that's for sure. It's just a matter of getting over the hump. Finally we have a winning season under our belts, maybe that will be the catalyst.

SheTexan
02-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I like the thought of the Texans and Niners being contenders next year. I can't lose!!:dancer:My dream is to see them meet in the SB, and to see that in Dallas would be an unbelievable experience for me!! WOW!!!! What a dream!!

thunderkyss
02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
What I'm noticing that is different this time around is that we are the "favorite" to make the jump in even more articles than ever before.

What I'm seeing as different than the last time we were picked to go to the play-offs (2005) is that the rest of the league feels as good about our talent as we do.

I ain't going to lie. I was high on Peek, & Gafney, DD, CC Brown, Glenn Earl, Dunta, TJ, Robaire, Weary, Wand, McKinney...

I had it bad. :texflag:

WWJD
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
What I'm seeing as different than the last time we were picked to go to the play-offs (2005) is that the rest of the league feels as good about our talent as we do.

I ain't going to lie. I was high on Peek, & Gafney, DD, CC Brown, Glenn Earl, Dunta, TJ, Robaire, Weary, Wand, McKinney...

Except for Brian Baldinger and Peter King.

thunderkyss
02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Except for Brian Baldinger and Peter King.

Is Baldinger & Peter King in the league?

hmpf

WWJD
02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Is Baldinger & Peter King in the league?

hmpf

Well yea they are..as much as the guy that wrote this article is. Isn't this thread based on an article somebody wrote?

I have no idea what hmpf means...

CloakNNNdagger
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Blind squirrel, meet nut. Nut, meet the blind squirrel. It is inevitable that y'all will meet at some point, just like the laws of average state that the Texans will eventually get into the playoffs at some point. Then these analysts can stick their chests out and pat themselves on the back for 'believing' in our team.

Unfortunately, up to now, they haven't even been able to locate their own nuts.:rake:

brakos82
02-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Kind of a grunt/scoff thing. Try saying it out loud.

Wolf
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
well this year , we were supposed to be last years "cardinals"

:spin:

a few metal mistakes and we get that corrected, I can't see why this team can't do well (barring injuries)

WWJD
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Kind of a grunt/scoff thing. Try saying it out loud.

Well ok then. Thanks for the education...

Corrosion
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
16 games of the defense we ended with, Slaton returning even 80% to rookie year, a healthy Oline for 16 games and Schaub with a pile moving Rb behind said Oline. THen if OD is healthy or Dreesen or that other TE that can do everything and we just might have a really good year.

Thats a whole lot of IF's

thunderkyss
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Well yea they are..as much as the guy that wrote this article is. Isn't this thread based on an article somebody wrote?

No, my statement had nothing to do with that article, other than it was reminiscent of what was said prior to the 2005 season.

I'm talking about the Pro Bowls, All Pros, & what is generally said around the league.

I know that wasn't explicit in my post..... but when I said the league, I meant the league.

Austrian
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
FWIW Vic Carucci has us at 23 in the 2010 power rankings on NFL.com, right behind the Bills. He obviously disagrees with his fellow NFL analysts.

2slik4u
02-15-2010, 09:46 PM

Yeah but there is a difference. We now have a league leading QB and a top 15 rush defense, but mainly the QB situation. He finally showed that he could play 16 game season and we saw what happens when he does that.

I agree, we hear this stuff every offseason but for some reason I think we will finally make the jump next season. I see a deep run into the playoffs next year.....

Wolf
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Jamie Dukes on NFLN network said "this is the last time, he is picking the Houston Texans".. says they need a CB and another pass rushing DE "

dalemurphy
02-15-2010, 10:57 PM

You Sucker!!!

me too, by the way! Only thing different is that we are right this time, TK!

m5kwatts
02-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Forget all the media goons. We know what we have here. These media types that keep predicting the Texans are the same ones still hung up on the 2006 draft. Listen to the ones who know the depth chart, talent, gametape etc. Don't listen to the ones who base our future success on Mario Williams being better than Reggie Bush.

barrett
02-16-2010, 02:50 AM
I think that's what I'm saying. Those things that your talking about have become unavoidably clear to even moderate sports writers. next... general public.

BigBull17
02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
from the article:

No, what kept them out of the playoffs were more than just a few missed field goals. It was the mental aspect of a team not yet ready to nail their opponets to the wall. The Texans have the players necessary to make the playoffs with their current roster. Add in a few additions this off season, and they'll be more than ready talent wise. But, will they ever pick up the mental attitude to win the tough ones? That's the deal.

Two missed FG's vs the Titans kept us out of play-offs. He hits those two, we are in.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Forget all the media goons. We know what we have here. These media types that keep predicting the Texans are the same ones still hung up on the 2006 draft. Listen to the ones who know the depth chart, talent, gametape etc. Don't listen to the ones who base our future success on Mario Williams being better than Reggie Bush.

I think most of the reputable media type know we have the talent. It's just a matter of us finding ways to screw the pooch when the game's on the line.

From what I've noticed, the only people who I've noticed are still hung up on the 06 draft are members of this MB. Most of the media realize they were wrong in 06. Some of them even straight up apologized to Mario either on air or in writing.

Dread-Head
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Like I said seconds after Manning blew the Superbowl. The AFC South is about to change. The Texan Era begins NOW.

Big Lou
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
well this year , we were supposed to be last years "cardinals"

:spin:

a few metal mistakes and we get that corrected, I can't see why this team can't do well (barring injuries)

We almost were the Cardinals this year. Had Indy beat the Jets like they were suppossed to we would have backed in to the playoffs at an above average 9-7. (However I would much rather kick the door in on the playoffs rather than back in.)

The problem with us bieng the "Cardinals" is that we play in a little division that has the damn Colts in it. there ain't no Colts in the NFC West!!!!

The one thing that I found encouraging is we finished 2nd in our division. Of course we lost every damn game except one playing in our division, but I think this was a first for us to not be 3rd or 4th.

BIG TORO
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Like I said seconds after Manning blew the Superbowl. The AFC South is about to change. The Texan Era begins NOW.

I like your way of thinking!

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Or talking heads like Balldinger that said in 2006 that Mario Williams would be a bust because he doesn't have "high twitch muscles" to succeed as a pass rusher....

some just talk to hear and see themselves on TV later....

Dutchrudder
02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Or talking heads like Balldinger that said in 2006 that Mario Williams would be a bust because he doesn't have "high twitch muscles" to succeed as a pass rusher....

I think it has more to do with the way ESPN, NFL Network and other sports shows evaluate who makes a good 'analyst'. They care less about accuracy and much more about presentation, composure and diversity of opinion (sometimes called 'analysis'). They are the equivalent of the 24 hour news networks talking heads, except they talk about sports. They are designed to create controversy and allow the viewer to find someone they can follow.

Take any advice from them with a pitcher of salt, but realize many times they are just trying to keep people interested in their shows. They use big name people who used to play or coach football, but you will never see them put a 25 year NFL talent evaluator on their shows. You know, the guys with actual experience in evaluating draft players beyond the first 32 picks.

Norg
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
"Houston is a lock to make its first postseason appearance next year"

:backsout:

m5kwatts
02-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Or Jamie Dukes "when I look at Mario Williams, I see Courtney Brown"

Thorn
02-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Two missed FG's vs the Titans kept us out of play-offs. He hits those two, we are in.

So? Pick a loss, any loss from the 7 we had last year. Then pick a defining moment from it. You could do this all day with a lot more than just field goals. Two missed FGs did NOT cost us the playoffs. It was a lot more than just that.

infantrycak
02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
So? Pick a loss, any loss from the 7 we had last year. Then pick a defining moment from it. You could do this all day with a lot more than just field goals. Two missed FGs did NOT cost us the playoffs. It was a lot more than just that.

That's exactly right and you can also flip it around. Make a list of the defining moments in each of those games and you can fairly say about each one of them that it cost of the playoffs. Missing the two FGs was one of those moments.

DocBar
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM

With a much tougher schedule.

IlliniJen
02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Call me skeptical, but the pundits were saying the same thing about us for the last two years. TSN has us ranked 15 in their pre-season list...middle of the pack, right were we ended our season. And next year's schedule isn't making me feel warm fuzzies.

SICLICK
02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Hate to sound like a hater but no way in hell we become contenders....nor make the playoffs. ...probably end up 7-9

Showtime100
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Hate to sound like a hater but no way in hell we become contenders....nor make the playoffs. ...probably end up 7-9

Based on all available information I am curious to know how you came to that conclusion. The schedule is tough I know but IMO the Texans will be tougher to beat.

JB
02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Based on all available information I am curious to know how you came to that conclusion. The schedule is tough I know but IMO the Texans will be tougher to beat.

His avatar says it all. He is still bitter!

Showtime100
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
His avatar says it all. He is still bitter!

Lol, I didn't look the first time. True. I was in the Pink Soap Gang before Kubiak was signed for another year (then extension), but that topic is done for the foreseeable future. As I said then, as long as Kubes is our HC I wish nothing but the best but I would rather wish him well. He's here, he's signed, so I wish nothing but the best.

Thorn
02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Lol, I didn't look the first time. True. I was in the Pink Soap Gang before Kubiak was signed for another year (then extension), but that topic is done for the foreseeable future. As I said then, as long as Kubes is our HC I wish nothing but the best but I would rather wish him well. He's here, he's signed, so I wish nothing but the best.

This is how I see it as well. I was for replacing Kubiak, but since he's here, I hope he proves us all wrong (or right in some cases). I want to see us in the playoffs next year.

Showtime100
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM

This is how I see it as well. I was for replacing Kubiak, but since he's here, I hope he proves us all wrong (or right in some cases). I want to see us in the playoffs next year.

2011 here we come. Same goes for me and I'll bet Thorn has an ass you to kiss. Problem here is, I wanted something different then as now and I can only speak for myself, but is Kubes is here. He is the coach for 2011. Go Texas Go. No lockout no.

Big Lou
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Texans are a lock to make the playoffs next year!!!!!

Wait, what year is it??? 2011, oh wait that was last year. Correction:

Texans are a lock to dissappoint fans next year!!!!

VTexan
01-25-2011, 11:12 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=714&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=5697739

qman_tx
01-26-2011, 02:01 AM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=714&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=5697739

Case closed. Good post.

wagonhed
01-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Yup. lol.

El Tejano
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM

This guy needs to change his avatar to Nostradomus (sp)!

GP
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
What would be funny is if the media guys abandon us, saying we're done and they won't believe in us, and then we pull off a miracle turn-around and make the playoffs and maybe advance pretty far.

LOL.

Now THAT would be hilarious. All these years of saying we're "The next big thing," and the one year they stop touting it...we do it. LOL!

I'm getting to the point where I can honestly say that I have interest in what moves we make on defense, via the draft and free agency, and how Wade Phillips conducts camp and to see what we see out of the defense in preseason. I know what we have on offense. It's predictable. It's stable. My focus is now on the defense to see if he can make a tasty hamburger out of stale tofu.

Blake
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
This guy needs to change his avatar to Nostradomus (sp)!

I was pretty close with my prediction here.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1558033&postcount=130

And this was after the 4-2 start.

eriadoc
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Your optimism was unfounded. Next time don't give them quite so much credit.

Big Lou
01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Your optimism was unfounded. Next time don't give them quite so much credit.

Bu, bu, bu, but, we were a play or two away from going 7 and 9!!!!!!

Norg
01-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok so who dis year will break out in our divison (lets make dis simple) :P

Colts???
Jags???
Titans???
Texans???

Thorn
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok so who dis year will break out in our divison (lets make dis simple) :P

Colts???
Jags???
Titans???
Texans???

Not Kittens or Titties. The Texans always look like they'll break out "next season", but they never do. Sounds like the same ole Blatant Panning by the Colts.

Ranger Tom
01-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Damn. You were one game off.

Lucky
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
...and how Wade Phillips conducts camp and to see what we see out of the defense in preseason.
What camp? What preseason? The lockout will take care of those.

spurstexanstros
01-26-2011, 11:15 PM

So they could have spared my heart getting ripped out time and time again?

Wait what year are we talking about again?

GuerillaBlack
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
The Texans are pretty good on Madden online. Great set of players to use. Arian Foster and Andre Johnson are unstoppable. And Jacoby is great at returns on the game. The only place they are good at, tbh.