PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to dethrone Tom Brady?

Rush23
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.virtualsportsnet.com/2010/02/14/dethroning-tom-brady/

What are your thoughts on the article? Is it time to dethrone Tom Brady? I think he's been a great QB over the years but he's on the decline in my eyes. I've never really liked him but I've respected what he's done over the past several years.

gary
02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Is he on the decline? Yes, but he is not done.

jaayteetx
02-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe his "decline" has something to do with the Patriots not being able to cheat as much as they used to? Maybe?

WWJD
02-14-2010, 05:18 PM
To me he's still one of the best.

Ckw
02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe his "decline" has to do with the knee injury from last year, and it took a season for him to get back into the swing of things. If you remember, the same thing happened to Peyton after he had to have surgery. Talk about an exaggeration. Ridiculous...

IBleedTexans
02-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe his "decline" has to do with the knee injury from last year, and it took a season for him to get back into the swing of things. If you remember, the same thing happened to Peyton after he had to have surgery. Talk about an exaggeration. Ridiculous...

Comparing "The Forehead" to Pretty Boi .................................................. ..................................... Two Words UMMMMMMMM Noooooo.

HOU-TEX
02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
:thinking: How do y'all figure Brady's on a decline? He threw for 4398 yards (2nd best in career), 28 TD's (tied 2nd best in career) and his rating was 96.2 (also 2nd best in career).

gary
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
:thinking: How do y'all figure Brady's on a decline? He threw for 4398 yards (2nd best in career), 28 TD's (tied 2nd best in career) and his rating was 96.2 (also 2nd best in career).He did not even take his team to SB I say cut him. LOL

Carr Bombed
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
It takes a full year to get over a knee injury.....until he shows a kink in his armor this season, I'm not ready to say the guy is on a "decline".

BIG TORO
02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I think we still have many years of watching him do great things!

Corrosion
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Brady was a very good QB , I think the injury had something to do with it on more than just a physical level - Its just as much mental.

There's not much left for him to do in the league . He's won superbowls and an MVP. All thats left for him now is to get paid as much as possible in his time remaining in the league - while not getting so beat up that it affects his quality of life long term.

WWJD
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Brady was a very good QB , I think the injury had something to do with it on more than just a physical level - Its just as much mental.

There's not much left for him to do in the league . He's won superbowls and an MVP. All thats left for him now is to get paid as much as possible in his time remaining in the league - while not getting so beat up that it affects his quality of life long term.

Good post..yep he's pretty much been there and done that.

Just remains to be seen if the team can stay competitive as well as Tom.

He doesn't need to worry about money..he has a wife that makes more than he does. :)

gary
02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Brady might not be on the decline but the Pats are getting older on both sides of the football. That is really the case with their D and it showed in the Ravens game. They just do not have same speed and toughness but they are still decent enough. Every team has to reload at some point and time after so many years of cheating and being elite. You don't just stay on top forever you rise and then you fall the key is that when you fall you don't waste much time trying to get back on top. They have shown that they have noticed this with the trade they made with Oakland last offseason IMO. Moss is no rookie anymore either and their RB's are also getting older you know. Sports would not be fun to watch if the same team won the title every year. It's why people are glad N.O. won the SB they said, finnally some new blood. When Tiger plays golf I cheer for him but I am always down for a new person to win though and tht is happening now since Tiger has taken a leave from golf for right now. NE will be back on top one day and it might not even be as bad as I making it out to be but something has to give. The question is, will they get back on top fast enough for Brady to still be the QB?

WWJD
02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Brady might not be on the decline but the Pats are getting older on both sides of the football. That is really the case with their D and it showed in the Ravens game. They just do not have same speed and toughness but they are still decent enough. Every team has to reload at some point and time after so many years of cheating and being elite. You don't just stay on top forever you rise and then you fall the key is that when you fall you don't waste much time trying to get back on top. They have shown that they have noticed this with the trade they made with Oakland last offseason IMO. Moss is no rookie anymore either and their RB's are also getting older you know. Sports would not be fun to watch if the same team won the title every year. It's why people are glad N.O. won the SB they said, finnally some new blood. When Tiger plays golf I cheer for him but I am always down for a new person to win though and tht is happening now since Tiger has taken a leave from golf for right now. NE will be back on top one day and it might not even be as bad as I making it out to be but something has to give. The question is, will they get back on top fast enough for Brady to still be the QB?

Good points Gary.

I look at Tom in somewhat a similar fashion as I do Farve...when's he gone the league will miss him because he was so good. He's not as fun to watch as Brett to me but he was a standout player.

Those are the types I enjoy watching..rooting interests aside.

Mr teX
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
He'd largely been kept untouched by belicheat & a balanced offense until that giants superbowl when they exposed him & that offensive line. Since then, I've noticed he's been making uncharacteristic boneheaded decisions more than usual when he's been hit alot. That's what happens to most qb's when you don't have a defense or running game to rely on.

Look at that int he threw against us & then his awful performance against the ravens. In the past, those are throws he just wouldn't make...he'd do the smart thing & throw it away or just take the sack & rely on his defense.

Sure, the knee contributed, but once you get to staring at your offensive line b/c you know they can't protect you, it's hard to get out of that habit; Ask David Carr & Carson Palmer.

gary
02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Good points Gary.

I look at Tom in somewhat a similar fashion as I do Farve...when's he gone the league will miss him because he was so good. He's not as fun to watch as Brett to me but he was a standout player.

Those are the types I enjoy watching..rooting interests aside.He has also done everything he set out to do at the start of his NFL career. His mark has been made on the NFL that is for sure. What more is there for him to do? He also has a trophy wife and a big bank account.

WWJD
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
He has also done everything he set out to do at the start of his NFL career. His mark has been made on the NFL that is for sure. What more is there for him to do? He also has a trophy wife and a big bank account.

Right. I suspect he'll know when the time is right to retire. Tom never struck me as a player that would hang on after it's apparent his time is done.

He has a busy life off the field that is somewhat celebrity driven given his wife and all..I imagine they travel alot and have multiple homes in multiple places.

He won't be bored.

Texecutioner
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Exactly. This article is a freaking joke.

Tom just came back from an entire season off and had a huge knee surgery and hell the guy still threw for 28 TD's and won his division and went to the playoffs and lost to a very stout Ravens team. What is this guy talking about? Brady still played at a very high level this season. The Pats don't hardly have a running game either.

I expect TOm to have a much better season next year actually. I expected him to decline a little after that knee surgery.

gary
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Right. I suspect he'll know when the time is right to retire. Tom never struck me as a player that would hang on after it's apparent his time is done.

He has a busy life off the field that is somewhat celebrity driven given his wife and all..I imagine they travel alot and have multiple homes in multiple places.

He won't be bored.If he wanted to he may retire but that is unlikely at least for awhile.

Mr teX
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
If he wanted to he may retire but that is unlikely at least for awhile.

dude has been quoted as saying he wants to play for 15 plus years.. Understand that football is these guys' livelihoods & i suspect he won't be any different in wagering whether to retire or not. Their life outside of football is really secondary...no matter how good it is.

gary
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
dude has been quoted as saying he wants to play for 15 plus years.. Understand that football is these guys' livelihoods & i suspect he won't be any different in wagering whether to retire or not. Their life outside of football is really secondary...no matter how good it is.I understand once a sports players retire or clebs retire their working careers are basicly over with for good at that point and time.

infantrycak
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
dude has been quoted as saying he wants to play for 15 plus years..

Where'd you see that? I remember him publicly questioning how long he would want to play after the 3rd SB. Anyway - still a top QB and unless he rides away on his own will be for a while.

Mr teX
02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Where'd you see that? I remember him publicly questioning how long he would want to play after the 3rd SB. Anyway - still a top QB and unless he rides away on his own will be for a while.

I caught a glimpse of him on Entertainment tonight promoting one of those high priced bottle waters a while back... he said he wants to play for a long time...like 40 or something. This was just last year going into his 8th or 9th year & he's in his early 30's i believe.

edit...."I know I want to play for a long time," Brady was quoted as saying on the TV program. "I have goals, like, until I'm 40."

Brady turns 32 in August.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/01/tom_brady_on_et.html

gary
02-15-2010, 01:56 PM
I caught a glimpse of him on Entertainment tonight promoting one of those high priced bottle waters a while back... he said he wants to play for a long time...like 40 or something. This was just last year going into his 8th or 9th year & he's in his early 30's i believe.

edit...."I know I want to play for a long time," Brady was quoted as saying on the TV program. "I have goals, like, until I'm 40."

Brady turns 32 in August.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/01/tom_brady_on_et.htmlLast May he said, he'd like to play for another ten years.
http://sportsblog.projo.com/2009/05/brady-says-he-w.html

El Tejano
02-15-2010, 03:46 PM
The answer to the question is YES. See you in the 2010 season.

Signed,

Matt "PRO BOWL MVP" Schaub

Double Barrel
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Is it time to dethrone Tom Brady?

Only if you throned him to begin with. I don't think the greatness of players are truly realized until they retire and you can see their careers as a whole.

Joe Montana sits on that throne, and nobody is dethroning him any time soon. Manning and Brady might have been the best to try of the currently active QBs, but since they've both lost a SB, case closed. Joe Cool never lost a SB. :shades:

TEXANS84
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Once he does get over the hill, he will end up in Kansas City with all the other older Patriots veterans.
For now, no. His defense let him down in a bunch of games. He is still a top 3 quarterback IMO.

Texecutioner
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Only if you throned him to begin with. I don't think the greatness of players are truly realized until they retire and you can see their careers as a whole.

Joe Montana sits on that throne, and nobody is dethroning him any time soon. Manning and Brady might have been the best to try of the currently active QBs, but since they've both lost a SB, case closed. Joe Cool never lost a SB. :shades:

Well it's kind of hard to put him over Brady because of Brady's SB loss when Brady's loss wasn't exactly his fault that their defense let the Giants march down the field without any time left and let Manning and Tyree make the best SB play of all time. That was more of a game where the last man with the ball within reasonable time got to win it. Brady had his team ahead and the Pats defense gave it away. I thought Tom Brady did his part though. I can't put that loss on him.

WWJD
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Well WHENEVER Tom decides he's retiring he can go out knowing he accomplished a great deal in his NFL career and be happy with that.

Dutchrudder
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
People were saying Favre has been on the decline for years, but he took the Vikings to the NFC championship this year. You never know with some of these guys, but everyone is bound to have a 'down' year or two during their career. Not to say that Brady had a down year in 2009, but I think the Patriots will improve next year.

Should Brady be 'dethroned'? No, because he's not sitting on the throne. Drew Brees is on it now and if Brady wants it, then he better go get it next year.