PDA

View Full Version : Colts starting be called the Braves of the NFL

Wolf
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Unlike the Bills and the Vikings, the Colts have won a Super Bowl. But how many championships has this organization, graced with one of the generationís greatest passers, left on the table?

∂In 2005, the Colts won 13 straight games, then lost to the San Diego Chargers. Able to rest their starters without the burden of a perfect record, the Colts finished the regular season 14-2 and were bounced from the playoffs by Pittsburgh in the first round.

∂In 2006, the Colts lost four of six games after a 9-0 start but ended with a hard-fought victory over Miami. The Colts went on to win the Super Bowl.

∂In 2007, after a 13-3, season, the Colts were eliminated in their first playoff game by San Diego.

∂In 2008, after going 12-4, the Colts were again eliminated by San Diego in the first round.

Critics are beginning to call the Colts the N.F.L.ís version of the Atlanta Braves. Peyton Manning, for all of his numbers, is being called pro footballís Greg Maddux.

Manning is perhaps more accurately the Alex Rodriguez of football. He continues, even in losses, to pile up statistics. Manning, who threw for 333 yards Sunday, joined Brett Favre and Joe Montana as the only players to surpass 5,000 postseason passing yards.

But the only numbers that truly matter are the final numbers on the scoreboard. In the short term, thatís Saints 31, Colts 17. In the long term, thatís 9-9, Manningís record in the postseason.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/sports/football/09rhoden.html?partner=TOPIXNEWS&ei=5099

Thorn
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
The Dan Marino Dolphins never won a Super Bowl, and Manning's Colts have only one despite Manning supposedly being the greatest in this generation. It happens. You could be Buffalo and go to the Super Bowl four times in a row and never win. LOL

When I notice stuff like this it makes me feel a little less nervious about the Texans realizing that sometimes the football gods just thumb their noses at teams.

False Start
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
The Colts are almost like the Atlanta Braves of football. They won their lone championship, and they make it back but either lose in the playoffs, or lose the SB..........not that I'm complaining. :cool:

I promise, I had never seen that article.

Hervoyel
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice problem to have though.

nero THE zero
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Manning and Maddux is a good analogy, they're both the greatest players of their generation at their respective positions in their respective sports.

StarStruck
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Let's see. Cowboys won 5, San Francisco 5, Pittsburgh 6, New England 3, Denver 2 and there are probably others that have won more than one, but subtracting 15 from 44 leaves only 28 teams to win a Super Bowl. Not bad in my opinion.

LOL, Fixed it!

WWJD
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Let's see. Cowboys won 5, San Francisco 5, Pittsburgh 5, New England 3, Denver 2 and there are probably others that have won more than one, but subtracting 15 from 44 leaves only 29 teams to win a Super Bowl. Not bad in my opinion.

Oh goodness girlfriend before Dread jumps all over this...Pittsburgh has won 6.