PDA

View Full Version : Houston's Worst Sports Radio Personality

Drew_Smoke
02-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Okay..I'll play.

Pick the stoopidest, hardest to listen to radio guy...lol

TexanSam
02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd have to say Rich Lord. Is John Lopez still doing radio? If so, he'd rank up there as well

ChampionTexan
02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Okay..I'll play.

Pick the stoopidest, hardest to listen to radio guy...lol

Man, this is going to be like the message board version of an all-you-can-eat buffet. So many things to choose from, you just don't know what to go for first.

Craig.
02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I'll go with Josh Innes. I just can't stand him for some reason.

False Start
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
The Mighty Gwinn, followed by Matt Jackson, and Adam Clanton. I cant stand to hear any of those guys on my AM dial.

ChampionTexan
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I think I'd go with Matt Jackson - edging out Rich Lord by an eyelash. The difference is that Matt's paired with Wex, and I think he's one of the better ones around, so their show's not as bad as it could be. Robert what's his name isn't as bad as some, but he's not nearly good enough to make up for Rich.

Whoever it was that thought it was a good idea to pair up Matt and Rich for the drive-time show at 610 isn't very good at their job.

WWJD
02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh I joke about this radio guy or that one but I'd never label one the "worse"...I'd have to listen to every single one to know that and to be fair.

I've always liked the programs that talked more sports than what their kids look like or what they ate last night for dinner...that's fine for talk between friends but it's not interesting radio.

And I like the shows that take callers.

Showtime100
02-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Everybody in Austin radio (sorry, I had to throw it in). I haven't listened to Austin sportstalk in years and one guy on the radio is a good personal friend.

powerfuldragon
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
rich lord now that that awful lesbian craig show's off air.

LonerATO
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
You guys should tune into Ticket 760 in San Antonio and then you will know what horrible sports radio is

YellerLotYeller
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Lopez during basketball season just because of his spur nut-hugging.

eriadoc
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Richard Justice, easily. That's not to say that any of them are good, but Justice is a special kind of bad, and he's pretty much the sole reason I boycott 1560AM.

MannyFresh
02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Sean and John on 1560 during the afternoon really are bad...no charisma, no hook, and no substance... one is on there because he's witty and won a few 'Smack Offs' on Jim Rome so I guess that makes him radio worthy, and the other is just there because he's Zierlein's homeboy from the Richmond, TX that basically peaked in high school sports and still resting on those laurels...

mexican_texan
02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't really like anyone atm. I can't get 1560 most of the time.

Joe Texan
02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Sports Radio 610, All of the nutless wonders they have hired or kept.
Not one word of support out of any of them in Miami.

Saints Coach has Big Balls, they should take lessons.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Any answer not including Rich Lord is wrong. :voodoo:

HoustonFrog
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Right...starts with Lord...then I'll add Matt Jackson, Vanderhomer, Lopez, Clanton.......to end

nero THE zero
02-08-2010, 10:14 AM
John Lopez.

I'm sure more from the new 610 cast could be added to the list, but I wouldn't know because I haven't listened to the station in months. I wouldn't be shocked to see 790 pick-up the Texans' contract when it ends in 2012.

steelbtexan
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Correct

Lord is lazy. He doesn't even watch MNF. I thought it was the job of a sports analyst to watch sports. I must be wrong.

I will also add Vandermeer and his homerism to the list

False Start
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, I tuned in to the "Mighty Gwinn" show today to see if he would relate the Saints SB win to the Texans, and he did. He is just a Texans hater, and seems to get his kicks out of ragging on them. The guy needs to make like an Italian and "get the fluck outta here"

DiehardChris
02-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Lopez.

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, I tuned in to the "Mighty Gwinn" show today to see if he would relate the Saints SB win to the Texans, and he did. He is just a Texans hater, and seems to get his kicks out of ragging on them. The guy needs to make like an Italian and "get the fluck outta here"

Yeah his schtick is old already. "I'm going to get ratings by connecting every world and sporting event to the fact that I believe the Texans suck."

ChampionTexan
02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah his schtick is old already. "I'm going to get ratings by connecting every world and sporting event to the fact that I believe the Texans suck."

So your saying he's also a poster on this board?

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM

'Oh, and I will tell everyone I am doing them a favor and that I am a Texans prophet.'

DexmanC
02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

His schtick is successful only because 610 keeps opposing opinions regarding
the Texans off the air. Peter King and Baldinger's opinions regarding this team
are the ones 610 screens out. So, if they want Gwynn's show to fail, they need
to allow callers like Lamont to speak their minds.

It's not "Texans Hate." It's more of a venue to vent the anger caused by
juxtaposing the successful coaches hired during the tenure of Kubiak, with
Gary's annual falling "just short."

610 glosses over it. 790 doesn't. Tomayto, Tomahto.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM

'Oh, and I will tell everyone I am doing them a favor and that I am a Texans prophet.'

Sounds like a couple of posters around here. :thinking:

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Except every time I've had his show on that's all he freakin' talks about. He bashes the Texans and then the callers call in and bash 610. Not riveting talk raido to my ears :)

HuttoKarl
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Everybody in Austin radio (sorry, I had to throw it in). I haven't listened to Austin sportstalk in years and one guy on the radio is a good personal friend.

I actually like Erin Hogan and Dan Neal in the morning on the FM ESPN affilliate. It's nice to hear the opinion and insight of a real NFLer.

Drew_Smoke
02-08-2010, 02:41 PM
LOL...the gwinn guy is that vocal tiny minority. The 95% with a clue just roll their eyes. I have thought about calling in on rain days just to jack with him He'd prolly hang up when I made sense.

BigBull17
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Shocker. I listened to his show once and thats all I could stand. I want peole who are objective, who don't always side with the team, but he is far from that. He is just a blind hater who takes every shot he can. Jackson and Wexler were bad for the post game show, cause they made every game sound like a loss. I get being upset that a team didn't play all that well, but you can't say wins are all that matter when they play well and lose, then say it was sloppy bad football when they win.

steelbtexan
02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
LOL...the gwinn guy is that vocal tiny minority. The 95% with a clue just roll their eyes. I have thought about calling in on rain days just to jack with him He'd prolly hang up when I made sense.

If you can refute what Gwinn is saying you should give him a call.

Otherwise sit down relax and take a big ole sipp of the McNair Koolaid.

BigBull17
02-08-2010, 02:53 PM
His schtick is successful only because 610 keeps opposing opinions regarding
the Texans off the air. Peter King and Baldinger's opinions regarding this team
are the ones 610 screens out. So, if they want Gwynn's show to fail, they need
to allow callers like Lamont to speak their minds.

610 glosses over it. 790 doesn't. Tomayto, Tomahto.

Nah, you can disagree with a teams line all you want, but he looks for reasons to hate the team. That's not a guy who calls it like he sees it. It's a hater. There is a BIG difference. We just don't have anyone in Houston worth a warm shit to listen to.

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
If you can refute what Gwinn is saying you should give him a call.

Otherwise sit down relax and take a big ole sipp of the McNair Koolaid.

While I agree Kubes has been slow on the learning curve and 9-7 may have been a peak for him in Houston, I don't see how Tebo's pro life ad indicates that Houston, as a franchise, sucks.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
While I agree Kubes has been slow on the learning curve and 9-7 may have been a peak for him in Houston, I don't see how Tebo's pro life ad indicates that Houston, as a franchise, sucks.

Well ya see, Roe v. Wade originated here in Texas. Houston was once the Capitol of Texas and........... nevermind. No matter how I try to tie it all together, I can't.

nero THE zero
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM

I never really understood the hate for him; he's a little tough on the Texans, probably more for shock-value than anything, but that's par for the course really, so it doesn't bother me. But, I caught a segment of his today and he was going on about the Saints' free agents. He mentions Bushrod and immediately dismisses him as "obviously untouchable," and then moves on to Jahri Evans and says, "Now there's a guy who's a guard who would do pretty good for you. You could get him for maybe a second and a fifth."

lol

I guess I never really disliked the guy because I didn't listen to him enough. Now I see why it's there.

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Well ya see, Roe v. Wade originated here in Texas. Houston was once the Capitol of Texas and........... nevermind. No matter how I try to tie it all together, I can't.

And that's why you don't have a radio show :)

theanswer000
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
J lo

Lucky
02-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Barry Warner. Not even close.

CloakNNNdagger
02-08-2010, 09:48 PM
All of those stations/programs are so filled up with advertising time, I can hardly remember the names of all the in-between "blip" morons that most of the time aren't even talking about sports. BTW, is Jim Lord the DWI attorney???..........or is it John Lopez???:rake:

Hervoyel
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't listen to sports talk radio very often but I guess I must be pretty forgiving about it. I don't really mind any of these guys too much. Frankly the worst part of all of their shows is listening to the stupid callers for me.

False Start
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
BTW, is Jim Lord the DWI attorney???..........or is it John Lopez???:rake:

Its Gary Trichter.... lol.

Yankee_In_TX
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
John Lopez for stating that he believed that odds makers looked beyond things like popularity and hype. Really? That's their JOB - to get play on both sides of the line.

powerfuldragon
02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't really like anyone atm. I can't get 1560 most of the time.

i have trouble getting the signal in the city of bellaire.

Barry Warner. Not even close.

ah yes... warner. he sounds like he's trying desperately to come across as cool and better than most folks.. doesn't work half the time

nero THE zero
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
i have trouble getting the signal in the city of bellaire.

It's spotty. Sometimes I can get it in Spring at 7:30 p.m. and sometimes I can't get get it at I45/I10 at 8a.m.

If it's bad enough that I only get to listen 2-3 days a week driving in during the week, and bad enough that numerous people mention on numerous forums that they don't get a signal, that the station needs to do something about it if they want to maximize their listenership.

4Texans
02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I'll go with Josh Innes. I just can't stand him for some reason.

+1

That guy needs a clue. He is nothing but talk, and no substance.

Yankee_In_TX
04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Sports Radio 610, All of the nutless wonders they have hired or kept.
Not one word of support out of any of them in Miami.

Saints Coach has Big Balls, they should take lessons.

Did I hear Joe on a 610 spot saying he loved Rich and Marc? Or was that a guy that sounded like Joe?

:stirpot

TheIronDuke
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Didn't see this thread the first time around but one I can't stand that hasn't been mentioned is John Granato. LZ is awesome, but when Granato constantly talks over him it makes the show unlistenable at times.

NitroGSXR
04-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I think I'm ineligible to vote...

:lol:

mexican_texan
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I used to listen to 610 since it's the only AM station that gets good reception. I can't stand Lopez or the afternoon show with "sexy traffic."

TexanSam
04-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I think I'm ineligible to vote...

:lol:

You ain't missing much

Double Barrel
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
I cringe when I turn on my truck and hear Vandamere and Lopez in the morning blathering on about chick flicks or hair gel or Lady Gaga or whatever other non-sports spewage that seems to occupy their minds. That's not sports talk radio. That's some kind of lame metrosexual gayfest, and for that, they get my vote as Houston's Worst Sports Radio Personality.

Honoring Earl 34
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I cringe when I turn on my truck and hear Vandamere and Lopez in the morning blathering on about chick flicks or hair gel or Lady Gaga or whatever other non-sports spewage that seems to occupy their minds. That's not sports talk radio. That's some kind of lame metrosexual gayfest, and for that, they get my vote as Houston's Worst Sports Radio Personality.

Yep ... I'm getting back into music .

Yankee_In_TX
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Yep ... I'm getting back into music .

Lady Gaga?

Honoring Earl 34
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Lady Gaga?

Yep ... Poker Face is my fav .

Honoring Earl 34
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klg6mfEYEg&feature=popular

Honoring Earl 34
04-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Lady Gaga?

Texan_Bill
04-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Lady Gaga?

:facepalm: Earl!

ubecool454
04-18-2010, 09:06 AM
You guys should tune into Ticket 760 in San Antonio and then you will know what horrible sports radio is

Thanks for the headsup on that. I'll make sure to leave my radio off the next time I roll to SA.

False Start
04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
For all you sports radio fans you should check out Craig Shelton's (Lesbian Craig) blog here (http://www.sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/).

Its called Houston Media Watch, they analyze and give their opinions on all the local sports talk personalities, as well as sports in general, and music. Its a great site.

Yankee_In_TX
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
For all you sports radio fans you should check out Craig Shelton's (Lesbian Craig) blog here (http://www.sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/).

Its called Houston Media Watch, they analyze and give their opinions on all the local sports talk personalities, as well as sports in general, and music. Its a great site.

Errr - a blog about radio personalities from a guy I thought stunk, was a glorified regular caller, and ended up getting fired?

(I stand corrected if I am wrong about that).

*edit* I skimmed the blog. As someone who doesn't care about sport talk radio hosts opinions on most things other than sports, I certainly don't care about a bunch of regular sports show callers opinions on the same things. I'll be nice to the blog and say while not for me, I am glad you enjoy it. (A 6 page small font article on weight loss from a sports radio show caller, come on!)

The whole sexy traffic thing has GOT to go. It has gotten way beyond creepy.

Dr2bKay
04-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Errr - a blog about radio personalities from a guy I thought stunk, was a glorified regular caller, and ended up getting fired?

The whole sexy traffic thing has GOT to go. It has gotten way beyond creepy.

I agree on the sexy traffic...what kind of woman goes for that image...I was listening on Friday and was thinking is she a hoe? lol. But I guess that the slutty image is in now....

Yankee_In_TX
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I agree on the sexy traffic...what kind of woman goes for that image...I was listening on Friday and was thinking is she a hoe? lol. But I guess that the slutty image is in now....

As with my opinion of a certain Houston journalist - if sex is what lands you into your position, I will NEVER respect you (which differs from someone who did something when they were younger years before their job).

But all these creepy ass callers calling in and talking about the video of her makes me shiver. Then the hosts joke about what those guys do to themselves while watching the video *shivers more*

Wow - I am opinionated today, lol.

False Start
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM

*edit* I skimmed the blog. As someone who doesn't care about sport talk radio hosts opinions on most things other than sports, I certainly don't care about a bunch of regular sports show callers opinions on the same things. I'll be nice to the blog and say while not for me, I am glad you enjoy it. (A 6 page small font article on weight loss from a sports radio show caller, come on!)

Well see Craig is a close personal friend of mine. If you ever got a chance to meet him, and sit and talk with him you would see that he is a very kind hearted, and super nice guy. When my Nephew was laid up in the hospital after his car accident he came to visit him almost every day.

As far as him getting "fired" from 610 there is a lot more to the story that people don't know, but I wont go into details. Lets just say it wasn't all his fault.

Hes just a sports radio junkie, that likes to voice his opinions on how he sees the local sports talk industry in Houston.

I'm not gonna knock you for your opinion, everyone is different and has different views on things. Its all good bro. :cool:

Drew_Smoke
04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Callers....

Freddy in Richmond. I can't stand that loser. I heard him call every show out there. All of them. I heard him on an overnight nat'l show puking up things that Rich Lord said earlier in the day.

He calls the fishin' show. I was listening to Randy Lemmon earlier today and was thinking "I bet even he won't call the gardenline" and he did!!

And I am with Ryan on the callers that beg for jobs when they call in and those that tyr to run with that status. The Block Party got canned because of ratings. Craig may be a good guy (I know he is as he tried to promote kids stuff) but there's a reason he's not on the air. And how could you ever take anyone semi-seriously that calls himself Lesbian? It's just foolish.

Brad In Spring Branch....I am trying to think of a bigger buffoon. If one comes to mind I'll post it.

BSofA04
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the headsup on that. I'll make sure to leave my radio off the next time I roll to SA.

Tune to ESPN 1250 The Zone. They're the official sports station of the Houston Texans in SA and the Chris and Jason show is actually pretty good. Ticket 760 with host Mike Taylor is just awful! Think of one of those annoying Cowboy fans that are beyond obnoxious....then give them a microphone and that's what it is.

Revolution
04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
My list in order:

1. Josh Innes
2. John Lopez
3. Rich Lord
4. Carl Dukes
5. Brad Davies
6. Barry Warner

Notice how many are on 610? Carl Dukes would be number 2 if he were actually on a station I listened to....

I actually like Marc, despite his homerism, but I stopped listening when they brought John Lopez over and brought in Josh Innes.

Yankee_In_TX
04-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Well see Craig is a close personal friend of mine. If you ever got a chance to meet him, and sit and talk with him you would see that he is a very kind hearted, and super nice guy.

I have, and he did seem really nice :) Doesn't mean I enjoy him on the radio, though.

In Summary, I think the ONLY Houston person NO ONE hates is CP :)

Honoring Earl 34
04-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I have, and he did seem really nice :) Doesn't mean I enjoy him on the radio, though.

Well Yankee ................

http://mankabros.com/chairmans-blog/ladygaga_pokerface.jpg

Hoss
04-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Tune to ESPN 1250 The Zone. They're the official sports station of the Houston Texans in SA and the Chris and Jason show is actually pretty good. Ticket 760 with host Mike Taylor is just awful! Think of one of those annoying Cowboy fans that are beyond obnoxious....then give them a microphone and that's what it is.

+2 man!MT is the suck of suck!Him and this dude named Jim Bob are Cowboy knob polishers.He calls himself a Spurs fan but,you can tell he pulls for the Mavs.He also flip flops back and forth being a Stros fan and a Rangers fan.Anyway the C&J show is a helluva lot better,they are Cowboy fans but,they do talk about the Texans.In fact they will be at Reliant for the second day of the draft.

False Start
04-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Yeah, I gotcha bro. Different strokes for different folks. :cool: :jam:

Count me in, not much of a fan of "Mr. Google" CP. ;)

b0ng
04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't see how you can not like Pallilo. The guy really doesn't strike me as a hater (like Gwinn does) but he does, very often, present the viewpoint of somebody who doesn't root for the Texans, but in a non-childish way. He's also ridiculously respectful to his callers.

Josh Innes is ridiculous and so is Gwinn. Almost everything on 1560 is on the bad side, and it's pretty sad that the best show on 610 is Jim Rome by far.

Honoring Earl 34
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't see how you can not like Pallilo. The guy really doesn't strike me as a hater (like Gwinn does) but he does, very often, present the viewpoint of somebody who doesn't root for the Texans, but in a non-childish way. He's also ridiculously respectful to his callers.

Josh Innes is ridiculous and so is Gwinn. Almost everything on 1560 is on the bad side, and it's pretty sad that the best show on 610 is Jim Rome by far.

Yep ... those two genuises that I've never heard of , know everything . Then to boot , all the other guys just like him start calling in . Sounds like half his audience are Titan fans , so I turn the dial .

Texan_Bill
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Well Yankee ................

http://mankabros.com/chairmans-blog/ladygaga_pokerface.jpg

You really have a fixation on Lady Gaga....:truck:

Honoring Earl 34
04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Lady Gaga?

You really have a fixation on Lady Gaga....:truck:

I'm not the one who started the Lady Gaga talk . Didn't she go to Ohio State ? :lol:

Texan JBZ
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Sean and John on 1560 during the afternoon really are bad...no charisma, no hook, and no substance... one is on there because he's witty and won a few 'Smack Offs' on Jim Rome so I guess that makes him radio worthy, and the other is just there because he's Zierlein's homeboy from the Richmond, TX that basically peaked in high school sports and still resting on those laurels...

You've obviously never heard Sean do his Good Ol' JR impersonations Manny! Sean and John are awesome. Outside of LZ, John Harris is the most knowledgable football mind in the city. They are really good and very entertaining imo. The worst...Rich Lord, and its not even close.

steelbtexan
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Lord doesn't even watch MNF live.

That tells you not really a football fan.

That he's the Texans sideline reporter says something.

HoustonFrog
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
You've obviously never heard Sean do his Good Ol' JR impersonations Manny! Sean and John are awesome. Outside of LZ, John Harris is the most knowledgable football mind in the city. They are really good and very entertaining imo. The worst...Rich Lord, and its not even close.

I agree. Harris knows sports than most people out there. The guy lives to watch film and breaks down college and pro football as good as anyone. I also like Sean's takes on things. Both knowledgeable guys. Many must have listened once.

Yankee_In_TX
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
That he's the Texans sideline reporter says something.

Because he's sexy? (LMAO)

nero THE zero
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree. Harris knows sports than most people out there. The guy lives to watch film and breaks down college and pro football as good as anyone. I also like Sean's takes on things. Both knowledgeable guys. Many must have listened once.

I listen to them often, usually off and on everyday, and I'm not the biggest fan.

They're good when they're talking sports, but they try too hard to be funny a lot of the time and those parts of the show are unbearable. They don't have the chemistry and humor that LZ and John Grant do, so I wish they'd play to their strengths more and talks sports. That's not to say I want them to be Pallilo-esque, because things like The Hatchetman are radio gold, but I think they could do well by tipping the scales back toward more sports talk. If I want to listen to people try (and fail) to be funny, I'd find 610 and make it a preset on my dial again.

Also, I must say, the more I hear the Mighty Gwen, the more awful he is. He's your classic sports shock jock, in the mold of Skip Bayless. On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is "The Monsters of the Mid-Day" and 10 is LZ and JG, Gwen is a 0.

Sal Rosenberg
04-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Dukes

BigBull17
04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I like most of 1560, though at times they get a little frat boyish and silly. I like ND Kalu. I change the station when John McClain and Richard Justice come on. Most of 610 is bad.