PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson to sign with Jets

Pages : [1] 2

GlenRice
02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
i head this on a other forum

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Texans are among the teams that will show interest in LaDainian Tomlinson after the veteran is cut.

ChrisG
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Texans are among the teams that will show interest in LaDainian Tomlinson after the veteran is cut.

based on the source we now kno the Texans WONT be looking at LT. ESPN sucks. LOL

How can an analyst predict wat we r gonna do. This isn't news until the article reads "LaDainian Tomlinson visits with the Texans coaching staff after being cut by San Diego"

SteveSlaton20
02-07-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=561&line=167403&spln=1

GP
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
OK, so I don't really keep up on LT as much as others.

Is he really THAT worn out and incapable of doing much anymore, or is he simply tired of being in San Diego and he's got some slippage of the "give-a-crap" attitude?

My initial reaction is that this is another Ahman Green situation just waiting to explode on us. Lots of years of wear and tear, and running behind a questionable offensive line (due to injuries on the line).

Thorn
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
In all probability Steve Slaton will not be back next year, so it isn’t very hard to guess that the Texans would like to sign a veteran RB from somewhere along with drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I don’t think we’ll get a RB in the first round, but that’s just my take. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see LT here next year, or even the buffet monster LenWhale white. You can count on them getting a RB back from somewhere in free agency.

BigBull17
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
It wouldn't suprise me at all, nor would I really object, as long as we don't give out an Ahman Green contract. That was the only part of Green that scared me. If we sign him, draft a guy, and use Foster and Moats to spell them, Im ok with it.

TheRealJoker
02-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Pass....

LT would be good in a "change-of-pace" role similar to what we have Moats in but does not have the durability to carry the load. Unfortunately, he wants to go to a team that will give him the opportunity to be a number 1 back and we can't afford to hitch our wagon to a 30+ year old running back who still thinks he's elite.

Given Slaton's current health problems this would be worse than last offseason when the coaches decided to stand pat on the RB position because they thought they could rely on Slaton for the entire season. At least Slaton is south of 30....

Lucky
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
OK, so I don't really keep up on LT as much as others.

Is he really THAT worn out and incapable of doing much anymore...
That would be the question. It's a fact that LT has slipped the past 2 seasons. Also, he has reached the unmagical age (for a RB) of 30. Still, it's not as if any other back was ripping it up for the Chargers last season. So, it could be a function of the offensive line. Who knows?

If LT comes into Houston as part of the solution, that would make sense. He's a vet who is experienced in the passing game. He would carry an immediate rspect into the locker room. And if your coach is insistent on calling a halfback option in the red zone, why not have a RB who carries a career passer rating of 146.9? 7 TDs - zero interceptions in 12 attempts.

But, if LT is brought in as THE solution at RB, that would be another example of piss poor planning. We've seen the results of that.

WWJD
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
There would be one happy HOUSTON FROG on here if they got LT...he could go see an ex great Frog in person.

HouSportsWriter
02-07-2010, 01:20 PM
when will he be cut ?

texanhead08
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
He doesn't have to be cut unless he has some type of roster bonus the chargers aren't willing to pay him. This looks to be an uncapped year so if he is cut its not because the team is over the salary cap or anything like that.

GuerillaBlack
02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't know. Dude is a TD machine. This was his first season not having 1,000 yards, and part of that is the Chargers splitting time with Sproles. I say bring him in, but still draft a stud RB. We go into the season with Foster/LT/drafted RB/Moats. Don't count on Slaton playing this year, but if he does, that's the gravy on top.

Lucky
02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
He doesn't have to be cut unless he has some type of roster bonus the chargers aren't willing to pay him. This looks to be an uncapped year so if he is cut its not because the team is over the salary cap or anything like that.
According to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=561), LT has a $2 million roster bonus due in March. Not substantial, but it could be that the Chargers just want to go in another direction and don't want a HOFer looking over the new guy's shoulder.

Rotoworld also suggests that former Charger teammate Drew Brees may be pushing for LT to become a Saint. I could see that happening.

Silver Oak
02-07-2010, 01:36 PM
well...he can throw the RB pass better than Brown...:kitten:

steelbtexan
02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't be upset if they signed LT for 2 yrs and an team option for a 3rd year. The deal would have to cap friendly.

On the field LT could be patr of a 2 RB system, 15-carries a game, LT's a still a great short yardage RB. He would be an upgrade over C.Brown. LOL

I could see signing LT and drafting Tate,Hardesty,Bell or Blount in the 3/4th rd.

I probably would draft another RB (L.Coker is my favorite) in the 5/6th rd. He can KR/PR and a 3 headed monster of LT, teaching the nuances of blitz pick up and how to carry youself as a prfessional to Tate and Coker or Bell would be very appealing.

nero THE zero
02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
If LT comes into Houston as part of the solution, that would make sense. ...But, if LT is brought in as THE solution at RB, that would be another example of piss poor planning.

That's the crux of it right there. Given the CBA issue, what contract we sign him to is pretty much irrelevant for anyone not name McNair, Smith, or Tomlinson. The thing we, as fans, should be worried about is, what do we do in addition to the signing of LT.

I've been of the mind that we'd bring in a veteran RB to pair with a high round draft choice. LT would be ideal in that role. Even if he expected to come in here and start, that wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we draft a rookie who shares a significant number of carries with him.

Line_Producer
02-07-2010, 02:00 PM
LT's a still a great short yardage RB. He would be an upgrade over C.Brown.

I agree with that, though the Chargers don't seem to think so. They gave a bunch of goal line carries to Sproles last year. Maybe they were just seeing what the kid had?

Lucky
02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I could see signing LT and drafting Tate,Hardesty,Bell or Blount in the 3/4th rd.

I'm hoping for Blount. I know he has issues. I know he is inexperienced. Blount is pretty much a boola-boola back. But when I watch him run with the ball, he seems to have "it". There may be only 2 or 3 RBs in a draft that have "it". I would have to take a chance on the guy. Especially, if I had a role model like LT to pair him with.

houstonspartan
02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm so-so on this. If we could get him to use him as a piece of the puzzle - and not the answer - at a decent price, I would be ok with a short contract.

But we can't pull another Ahman Green. Then again, the stature of this team is different than it was then, and we no longer have to overpay free agents.

Hardcore Texan
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
That would be the question. It's a fact that LT has slipped the past 2 seasons. Also, he has reached the unmagical age (for a RB) of 30. Still, it's not as if any other back was ripping it up for the Chargers last season. So, it could be a function of the offensive line. Who knows?

If LT comes into Houston as part of the solution, that would make sense. He's a vet who is experienced in the passing game. He would carry an immediate rspect into the locker room. And if your coach is insistent on calling a halfback option in the red zone, why not have a RB who carries a career passer rating of 146.9? 7 TDs - zero interceptions in 12 attempts.

But, if LT is brought in as THE solution at RB, that would be another example of piss poor planning. We've seen the results of that.

You make a good point about the locker room thing. I would love him to be brought in as a role player, not to carry the load and for a decent dollar figure. I am probably asking too much but he's just not worth a ton of cash and the feature back spot anymore. All it takes is a little toe injury or some other ding and he can't do all that jump cutting that makes him special at making defenders miss and his production goes downhill quickly.

:ohsnap:

ChampionTexan
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Exactly. The only thing I'll add is that there are some guys who just know how to get into the endzone. LT is one of those guys, and I see that as an ability we can use - even if he's not quite the same guy he used to be.

m5kwatts
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
As long as our RBs don't fumble I don't care who they are, how old they are or how explosive they are. NO TURNOVERS PLEASE.

steelbtexan
02-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Exactly. The only thing I'll add is that there are some guys who just know how to get into the endzone. LT is one of those guys, and I see that as an ability we can use - even if he's not quite the same guy he used to be.

This is why I could get on board with signing. LT.

ChampionTexan
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
As long as our RBs don't fumble I don't care who they are, how old they are or how explosive they are. NO TURNOVERS PLEASE.

Ron Dayne and Ahman Green combined for a grand total of two fumbles (neither of which resulted in turnovers) during their tenures with the Texans. Care to rethink things?

Ryan
02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
If you think we couldn't have a use for LT you're full of it. Sure he won't be a 1,000 yard rusher for us, but he can get in the endzone and still get the tough yards. I think with him, slaton/moats, and a rookie, i'd be pretty confident in our running game, especially if we get some good interior o-lineman.

m5kwatts
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Ron Dayne and Ahman Green combined for a grand total of two fumbles (neither of which resulted in turnovers) during their tenures with the Texans. Care to rethink things?

After seeing Slaton and Moats take turns losing games this year for us, no thanks.

GP
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't think Slaton plays in 2010. I think he's done.

This team has got to find two long-term guys at the RB position.

Going on for almost a decade without at least one consistent, high-end RB is killing me.

Texan4Ever
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
If LT is healthy and carry some of the load then he would make a good goal line back. Isn't he the King of the 1-Yard TD?

I'd like to see what Arian Foster can do, is he a fluke or a gem, but regardless we need a RB we can count on and we have no time for experiments.

playa465
02-07-2010, 05:39 PM
How many past their prime RBs are we going to try before we realize there is a reason their previous team let them go? LT won't have any goal line success without some sort of push. Like someone else mentioned any slight lil nick and he is ineffective. Almost any RB would be an upgrade but it doesn't mean we should grab the first one available nor should we look at one that barely fits the need.

2slik4u
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM
To tell you the truth, I wouldnt be at all mad if we did sign a crafty old vet likt LT IF and ONLY IF we draft a rookie thats worth a squat that they can form a great duo.

Im sure if we sign him, it will be for a minimal short term contract. I like the way our O-line has been playing and see them getting better next year with another offseason. I think this could be good. It is however a scary thought to see something like this after the ahman green debaucle.

As long as we dont sign him and hope that he will be our answer at the RB position for the next season then I think we will be fine.

lets hope for the best.

False Start
02-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Beat me to it, lol.

If it was for a decent price..... I say go for it. This team needs to make a splash to regain some interest from the fans that have fallen off over the years. It would also give the Texans more of a national spotlight. Hes a hell of a goal line back, and could provide a veteran presence for our young RB core. The only thing that worries me about LT is the injury issues.

tex-sky
02-07-2010, 09:00 PM
He could be sort of like Marcus Allen late in his career with the Chiefs. Wasn't much of an overall back that could carry the team, but was great in short yardage and at the goal line.

houstonspartan
02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
How many past their prime RBs are we going to try before we realize there is a reason their previous team let them go? LT won't have any goal line success without some sort of push. Like someone else mentioned any slight lil nick and he is ineffective. Almost any RB would be an upgrade but it doesn't mean we should grab the first one available nor should we look at one that barely fits the need.

What others on this thread have said is that he could be a decent options under the right circumstances. If we get him for cheap, and don't look at him as being the answer to our RB issue, it could work. He could be a utility runner in the red zone.

Texan in Japan
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
LT would be the perfect vet to add to our RB stable for next year. Although he's had 2880 rushes and 530 catches, he's taken great care of himself. He's scored 153 TDs in his 9-year career. His ability to block and catch will make him an asset in the passing game. He's fumbled 27 times, but only lost 12 in his entire career.

Sign him for 2, with a team option for a 3rd. Hall of Famer finishes his career in his home state.

ArlingtonTexan
02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
He would be a name player, but over the hill and obviously not the same guy who earned the name. As for a lockerroom presence, not sure if he is that guy, just because guys is old does not mean he is a leader. Seems like there where a couple of situations where he pouted on the sidelines either when injured or out of the game.

The Pencil Neck
02-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't think Slaton plays in 2010. I think he's done.

This team has got to find two long-term guys at the RB position.

Going on for almost a decade without at least one consistent, high-end RB is killing me.

This is why I've been saying we need to get at least one good FA RB and then use a high and a low draft pick on the position. We need this to become a position of strength on this team.

Not having Slaton for at least one year is going to hurt and I don't want to take a chance on Foster being the next Chris Taylor.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 12:04 AM
1 holy madre de jesus is english completely dead?

2 LT has a proven nose for short yardage/endzones. In a bad year he got 12 TDs.

Price is right is the question and maybe more important term. 2-3 year deal possibly even expensive like $6 or 7 mil is fine. Just don't sign any 5 year deals and don't guaranty much.

Hervoyel
02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I see a lot of people who didn't get enough of Ahman Green posting in this thread. Ladanian Tomlinson is done guys. Bringing him here accomplishes nothing good for the Houston Texans. It pays him another year, maybe two and that's about it.

I am wholeheartedly against any kind of deal for this guy. If the Texans bring him in I'm going to throw up a little in the back of my mouth.

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
To tell you the truth, I wouldnt be at all mad if we did sign a crafty old vet likt LT IF and ONLY IF we draft a rookie thats worth a squat that they can form a great duo.

As long as we dont sign him and hope that he will be our answer at the RB position for the next season then I think we will be fine.

lets hope for the best.

This is my thinking as well. LT, 1st/2nd round pick, Foster, Chris Henry, UDFA on the practice squad.

Foster has to get carries..... period.

The Draft pick has to get carries.... period.

Goatcheese
02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I see a lot of people who didn't get enough of Ahman Green posting in this thread. Ladanian Tomlinson is done guys. Bringing him here accomplishes nothing good for the Houston Texans. It pays him another year, maybe two and that's about it.

I am wholeheartedly against any kind of deal for this guy. If the Texans bring him in I'm going to throw up a little in the back of my mouth.

You're going to regret this post when LT throws 40 TDs next season in Kube's epic HB pass offense.

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM

of the FAs available, who would you like to see make our team?

I wouldn't have a problem with Lendale White.... I'd love Jerome Harrison... What do you think about Cadillac?

How about a trade? If we were to trade for a running back, who would you trade for?

Nawzer
02-08-2010, 12:36 AM
This is a copycat league and tonight the Saints showed that you can win the Super Bowl without a premier back. They have Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush who have gotten it done for them all season long. I think the Texans will go after some of the free agent backs, whether it is LT or someone else, remains to be seen. What we need are guys who can hold on to the football and score when we get close to the end zone.

MannyFresh
02-08-2010, 12:48 AM
That and another premiere WR to take pressure off AJ...

theanswer000
02-08-2010, 12:57 AM
The Texans need to pursue LT as soon as the chargers let him go. We need to bring him in here. If any of you have any football sense you would know LT can get short yardage very easily. Put a fullback in front of him and he is deadly. :fans:

Texecutioner
02-08-2010, 01:55 AM

Funny, I predicted this months ago. Don't count us out for Portis or Thomas Jones either. Lol!

Texecutioner
02-08-2010, 01:57 AM
The Texans need to pursue LT as soon as the chargers let him go. We need to bring him in here. If any of you have any football sense you would know LT can get short yardage very easily. Put a fullback in front of him and he is deadly. :fans:

At what cost though? If he was that effective, the Chargers wouldn't want to let him go then. It's not like they've got some major RB weapons in front of him. THey've got that small scat back in Hester who is one dimensional and not an every down back. LT isn't worth at this age unless you're getting him on the cheap. He's got a ton of miles on him at this point and has gradually gotten worse and worse the last two seasons.

RagingBull
02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
At what cost though? If he was that effective, the Chargers wouldn't want to let him go then. It's not like they've got some major RB weapons in front of him. THey've got that small scat back in Hester who is one dimensional and not an every down back. LT isn't worth at this age unless you're getting him on the cheap. He's got a ton of miles on him at this point and has gradually gotten worse and worse the last two seasons.

You mean Darren Sproles?

Texecutioner
02-08-2010, 02:16 AM
You mean Darren Sproles?

Yeah, I meant Sproles. Still tipsy from the SB party. Lol!

Sproles is pretty goodm, but not an every down back. The Chargers would need to find another guy themselves, so LT isn't still capable of that much if the Chargers are willing to let him go without any replacements.

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 03:36 AM
lt isn't worth at this age unless you're getting him on the cheap. He's got a ton of miles on him at this point and has gradually gotten worse and worse the last two seasons.

qft

Trail.Blazr
02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
LT isn't still capable of that much if the Chargers are willing to let him go without any replacements.

Don't tell that to Drew Brees.

I know, different ages, different positions and different circumstances, but yet it's still the chargers.. the same one's that let go of Brees.. The same one that let go of Shottenheimer after winning the conference..

They will do it if they think long-term, it's good for the team.

CloakNNNdagger
02-08-2010, 08:35 AM
This is a copycat league and tonight the Saints showed that you can win the Super Bowl without a premier back. They have Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush who have gotten it done for them all season long. I think the Texans will go after some of the free agent backs, whether it is LT or someone else, remains to be seen. What we need are guys who can hold on to the football and score when we get close to the end zone.

That may very well be. But who on the Texans has been anywhere close to a Pierre Thomas?

Mike Kerns
02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
If he doesn't fumble the damn ball, I'd take him.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
If he doesn't fumble the damn ball, I'd take him.

You have to combine the last 5 years for LT to get as many fumbles as SS this year.

Texans_Chick
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
1 holy madre de jesus is english completely dead?

2 LT has a proven nose for short yardage/endzones. In a bad year he got 12 TDs.

Price is right is the question and maybe more important term. 2-3 year deal possibly even expensive like $6 or 7 mil is fine. Just don't sign any 5 year deals and don't guaranty much.

I think that this coaching staff likes to have at least one vet running back on the roster that they can depend on. They will be likely looking at a number of vets to replace Chris Brown as the vet that is on the roster.

They missed on Brown, and on Green, but they would like to have one guy where they know the game is not too big for them.

You can overlearn lessons. Yes, Green was expensive and hurt, but not all vets are that way. One of the biggest problems this Texans team has is not having quality older players.

HOU-TEX
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM

I think we're putting too much stock into this comment. The dude can't read the future any better than I can. That's what "will show interest" means to me anyways.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I think that this coaching staff likes to have at least one vet running back on the roster that they can depend on. They will be likely looking at a number of vets to replace Chris Brown as the vet that is on the roster.

They missed on Brown, and on Green, but they would like to have one guy where they know the game is not too big for them.

You can overlearn lessons. Yes, Green was expensive and hurt, but not all vets are that way. One of the biggest problems this Texans team has is not having quality older players.

“The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a cold stove lid, either.” - Mark Twain.

Very easy to over learn or learn the wrong lesson. We lost out on a shoulder injury with Boselli. Think the Saints are happy about risking taking someone coming off shoulder surgery? I wouldn't pay big money or a long term for LT but if you can get him to a $3-5 mil contract for 2 years sign him up. He'll squirt underneath Myers' legs for a TD while Myers is getting knocked back 3 yards. Play SS and Foster in between the 20's and LT inside the 20's.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
This moves smells like Ahman Green but LT may have more in the tank. Scratch that, he does have more in the tank.

Problem is, LT is going to want to get paid and we need to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. We are probably better off sticking with who we have and adding a goal line back. We are a passing team anyway, and getting LT may make the coaches try and validate the move by feeding him the ball when we should be passing. Do what you do best and that is pass the ball. Trying to force the run is one of the many coaching blunders that caused us to ultimately fail last year.

b0ng
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM

You're assuming that the Chargers GM (AJ Smith) hasn't already been in a pissing contest with LT for the last couple of years.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
This moves smells like Ahman Green but LT may have more in the tank. Scratch that, he does have more in the tank.

Problem is, LT is going to want to get paid and we need to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them. We are probably better off sticking with who we have and adding a goal line back. We are a passing team anyway, and getting LT may make the coaches try and validate the move by feeding him the ball when we should be passing. Do what you do best and that is pass the ball. Trying to force the run is one of the many coaching blunders that caused us to ultimately fail last year.

Thing is LT is a fantastic goal line RB and a great receiving threat. If some team thinks he is a full time primary back then they'll out bid us but I would like to see a run at him as a well paid complimentary back.

HuttoKarl
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Funny, I predicted this months ago. Don't count us out for Portis or Thomas Jones either. Lol!

every time you say "Portis" I puke in the mouth a little bit.

El Tejano
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Put a fullback in front of him and he is deadly. :fans:

A friend of mine who is a die hard Charger fan said this earlier in the season. I asked him about the Chargers re-upping with LT and he said that he wouldn't be a bit suprised if he ended up signing with the Texans. Not just for the Texas roots but because he noticed we had a very good FB on The Texans and LT's best years were when Lorenzo Neal was blocking for him. I noted that he's got FBs already in the system but he said those aren't really FB like Neal was and that Leach fit that role alot better than the guys the Chargers currently have.

As long as he is a piece and not the entire puzzle, LT would be good. He can get short yards and TDs. However, I feel the same way about Lendale White. To me getting Lendale makes more of an impact because it reduces the depth a division rival has.

RagingBull
02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
My vote is to get LT and Thomas Jones if he is available + a rookie + Foster. Sounds like Slaton will be on IR. That way, we should have plenty of experienced backs. One of the old guys should be available even if we get some injuries. Everyone worrying about the cost needs to remember that unlike most years, with no salary cap this year, it won't take away from other needs. Statistically, if we sign enough twilight backs and draft enough first round DTs, we are bound to eventually hit on one.

dalemurphy
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Since next season is uncapped, I only see three potential problems with signing LT:

1. For reasons beyond understanding, instead of give him a healthy 1-2 year contract, we sign him to a longer contract.

2. After signing LT, they decide the RB position is solved and don't pursue a RB in the first 4 or 5 rounds of the draft.

3. We give LT the right kind of contract (short) but his signing becomes a disincentive to spend money this year on other FAs that could really help.

Those are the things I'll be watching nervously for if we show real interest. But, overall, I'd be optimistic about the benefits of getting him in here.

El Tejano
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM

I agree but I respectfully disagree if that makes any sense. Because we are a passing team, getting a veteran back like LT makes all the more sense. Remember how Chris Brown got to keep his job and still play despite all the fumbles? Alot of that had to do with him being the better blocking back in passing situations. LT is a really good pass blocking back. He's also very good at catching the ball out of the backfield which is more than we can say about any of the guys we have right now, although Foster showed some nice catches.

As many stated on here before, if LT can come in and be a part of the solution and not THE solution then he will fit right in. Basically if we get LT and then go about our business in drafting another RB, then this will be a good move.

El Tejano
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Since next season is uncapped, I only see three potential problems with signing LT:

2. After signing LT, they decide the RB position is solved and don't pursue a RB in the first 4 or 5 rounds of the draft.

3. We give LT the right kind of contract (short) but his signing becomes a disincentive to spend money this year on other FAs that could really help.

Those are the things I'll be watching nervously for if we show real interest. But, overall, I'd be optimistic about the benefits of getting him in here.

These are my concerns as well. I fear that if we get LT we will pretty much wrap up any concerns of having to get another back and not draft or sign another back. I hope Kubiak can learn from this past season with Chris Brown and know that he's got to get someone else in here aside from LT if we do get him.

HoustonFrog
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Of course from my yearly avatar and school, I love LT. He has lost a step and has lost some games to injuries but he has one plus that the Texans haven't had in awhile..

--a nose for the endzone. He still squeezes through space and has that lean to be the goal line guy and he had some pretty nice games this year too.

If they want a different FA my main guy to go for would be Chester Taylor.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Of course from my yearly avatar and school, I love LT. He has lost a step and has lost some games to injuries but he has one plus that the Texans haven't had in awhile..

--a nose for the endzone. He still squeezes through space and has that lean to be the goal line guy and he had some pretty nice games this year too.

^^This^^

CloakNNNdagger
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Trying to either force the run OR force the pass in short yardage or inside the Red Zone situations, when you don't have a reliable power back, is what caused us to ultimately fail...............and will happen again, given the same hand.

beerlover
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Trying to either force the run OR force the pass in short yardage or inside the Red Zone situations, when you don't have a reliable power back, is what caused us to ultimately fail...............and will happen again, given the same hand.

the Saints could not run the ball in red zone situations & all they did was win the Superbowl :pop:

BigBull17
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Taylor would fit in nicly around here. He is good recieving the ball and does all the little things Kubiak loves his RB's to do.

El Tejano
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Taylor would fit in nicly around here. He is good recieving the ball and does all the little things Kubiak loves his RB's to do.

But is Taylor just going to be flat out released or is he going to be restricted by The Vikings.

Hervoyel
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM

First off I disagree with you on overlearning a lesson. I've never seen this organization ever demonstrate that they learned anything at all from past mistakes. The Texans make a mistake and live with it for the duration of the contract while pretending that everything is on its way towards working out. For all we know Chris Brown might get brought back by the Texans. I'd be disgusted but not entirely shocked to see that happen.

I do not like Thomas Jones as a FA signing but I'd take him over LT at this point if the team insisted on signing one of them. Lendale White would be preferable to either one and might just come here with fresh legs and a chip on his shoulder as opposed to LT and Jones who are going to be looking for a payday and know they won't have to produce to get it.

I agree that quality older players are important and we could use a few but I disagree that RB is a place I'd want one. We've never brought in a veteran RB who did anything other than disappoint. Why go back to that well?

If I'm the Texans I let Chris Brown walk, Bring back Arian Foster, Ryan Moats, and Chris Henry. Then I find the RB in this years draft I like best and draft his ass. If I need to get him in the first round then so be it. If that's in the 2nd or 3rd round then fine.

I bring in one rookie, three guys from last year, and try and get Peyton Hillis off of the Denver roster and that's what I'm doing for a RB this year.

Ok, I make an inquiry as to Lendale's interest and price but I have almost no doubt that he's going to want too much.

ChampionTexan
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
But is Taylor just going to be flat out released or is he going to be restricted by The Vikings.

Technically neither. He can have the franchise or transition tag placed on him - essentially guaranteeing he signs with the Vikings for top 5 or top 10 money, or they let him test unrestricted free agency. His contract with them is expiring, so releasing him isn't possible, and he's got over 6 years in the league, so they can't restrict him.

I think pretty much everyone assumes he'll hit the open market as an UFA.

CloakNNNdagger
02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I bring in one rookie, three guys from last year, and try and get Peyton Hillis off of the Denver roster and that's what I'm doing for a RB this year.

He has always been an intriguing choice for me. I was hoping that somehow, we would have been able to obtain him last year. This past season, the Broncos hardly utilized him. They may be ready to pull the trigger this offseason.

El Tejano
02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Technically neither. He can have the franchise or transition tag placed on him - essentially guaranteeing he signs with the Vikings for top 5 or top 10 money, or they let him test unrestricted free agency. His contract with them is expiring, so releasing him isn't possible, and he's got over 6 years in the league, so they can't restrict him.

I think pretty much everyone assumes he'll hit the open market as an UFA.

That would be an awesome transaction.

Lendale White would be preferable to either one and might just come here with fresh legs and a chip on his shoulder as opposed
This is someone I've wanted since he ran one in on us on MNF. When I saw him do that, I thought about how he's just on that bench wasting away meanwhile we are doing our best to get 3rd and 3 on the ground.

The one thing I'm looking for is a back that can help sustain drives. If you look at the games against Tenn, and Indy. If we had the ability to sustain even one or two more drives, or punch it in from the one against Jville/Az. we are a much better team.

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Must spread rep - I was going to write something nasty for bringing that up :)

I had a major man crush on LT when he would catch and run and throw for TD's in the same game. Not so sure I want him here unless he signs a throw away contract. And I have a feeling he won't sign a small contract.

No More 8-8's
02-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Me: So John McClain, I heard that the Texans may be interested in signing LT, is that true?

JM: Lots of teams are interested if the price is right.

Me: But would you think it would be a good fit? Considering his age and our scheme?

JM: I am not wanting to give my opinion til I see him with pads on at camp. Til then Chris Brown fits the scheme better. Rick Dennison, a well respected coach in this league, likes him. Thats good enough for me.

Me: Do you have any original opinions of your own?

JM: The best movie of last year was Hurt Locker, a good friend of mine from Baylor was the 2nd Assistant Director of Photagraphy who got me in touch with another good friend of mine Adam Sandler...blah....blah....blah ....blah.

theanswer000
02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Vikes will not let Chester Taylor go after AP is already starting to suck. They will do whatever they have to for him to stay. LT rarely fumbles and if some of you had forgot he is one of the best blocking RBs in the league.

:kingkong:

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Vikes will not let Chester Taylor go after AP is already starting to suck. They will do whatever they have to for him to stay. LT rarely fumbles and if some of you had forgot he is one of the best blocking RBs in the league.

:kingkong:

Yup, a slowed down LT is Domanick Davis - run with good short yardage vision, receive, block. Very complete back that fits a WCO extremely well.

I hope McClain didn't really say Brown fits the system better. That's going to go on his top 5 ignorant things stated list if he did.

imatexan
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
We would be foolish to not want a running back with LT's talent.

Especially since one of the biggest problems on the Texans roster is RBs!

I would love for LT to come to Houston, I think it would make us a legit contender to go deep in the playoffs next year as long as everyone stays healthy *fingers crossed*.

Get it done Texans!!!

BigBull17
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM

This is someone I've wanted since he ran one in on us on MNF. When I saw him do that, I thought about how he's just on that bench wasting away meanwhile we are doing our best to get 3rd and 3 on the ground.

The one thing I'm looking for is a back that can help sustain drives. If you look at the games against Tenn, and Indy. If we had the ability to sustain even one or two more drives, or punch it in from the one against Jville/Az. we are a much better team.

Would love Glendale White. We are already the fattest city in Houston, might as well add to that.

Yankee_In_TX
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I hope McClain didn't really say Brown fits the system better. That's going to go on his top 5 ignorant things stated list if he did.

Wow, you can narrow it to 5?!?!

texans3964
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
uncapped year lets go for it. lets get LT and Peppers if there are available.bring back foster,draft a rb,get rid of brown and moats.

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
What do yall think about Andre Davis & David Anderson for Ricky Williams?

or something to that affect?

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
If I'm the Texans I let Chris Brown walk, Bring back Arian Foster, Ryan Moats, and Chris Henry. Then I find the RB in this years draft I like best and draft his ass. If I need to get him in the first round then so be it. If that's in the 2nd or 3rd round then fine.

Ok, I make an inquiry as to Lendale's interest and price but I have almost no doubt that he's going to want too much.

Let's cut Ryan Moats, we won't let him play anyway. Get Lendale, draft the RB we like Best, get Chris Henry on the field.

Foster, Henry, White, & rookie.

NitroGSXR
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't really care what he'll cost. You make him a Texan. All of our games but the Jets were determined by a TD or less. We just need a little push to jump those numbers and LT would do it. Same reason i wanted LJ last season, not much fumbling going on between those two guys. Besides, we need somebody to help teach Chick Harris how to coach a RB not to drop a ball. The cap issue isn't really one that i'm all that much concerned with. Keep the contracts short but LARGE for him. Win/win! Too much space during the season doesn't really do us much good. Andre can't keep this up while we're waiting for us to have the pieces in place. He's a huge piece of the puzzle himself. I'm just afraid that we'll end up waiting too long to build our team. Sign him for whatever he wants and get him to houston asap so he can start hitting the playbook. The time is now.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
LenDale White will be a RFA. The team is built on rushing. They'll high tender him. You really want to give a 1st and 3rd for him?

NitroGSXR
02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Basically the question that i want to know is not if the Texans are interested in Ladanian Tomlinson but rather if HE is interested in the Texans. That's the million dollar question. He's got the luxury of being able to choose his team, a rare thing in the NFL these days...

AnthonyE
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM

To be honest, I didn't mind riding the Dayne Train while he was here. Like at all.
:tomato:

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Basically the question that i want to know is not if the Texans are interested in Ladanian Tomlinson but rather if HE is interested in the Texans. That's the million dollar question. He's got the luxury of being able to choose his team, a rare thing in the NFL these days...

True, but just guessing the answer would be yes. He is from Texas. He would be coming to a team with a tremendous passing O so it wouldn't all be on him and it appears a pretty darn good D so he could come in as the missing puzzle piece not as the rock that has to solve all problems.

TexansBull
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Maybe because this a L.T. thread, these scenarios haven't gotten as much attention. This sounds like you get younger backs compared to L.T., and you have potential to hurt a division rival in Tennessee too. Makes sense to me, but Icould be wrong. Isn't LenDale from the 2006 draft class too? We seem to be doing well with that group of players, but bad woth ex Titans players.

Texecutioner
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't really care what he'll cost. You make him a Texan. All of our games but the Jets were determined by a TD or less. We just need a little push to jump those numbers and LT would do it. Same reason i wanted LJ last season, not much fumbling going on between those two guys. Besides, we need somebody to help teach Chick Harris how to coach a RB not to drop a ball. The cap issue isn't really one that i'm all that much concerned with. Keep the contracts short but LARGE for him. Win/win! Too much space during the season doesn't really do us much good. Andre can't keep this up while we're waiting for us to have the pieces in place. He's a huge piece of the puzzle himself. I'm just afraid that we'll end up waiting too long to build our team. Sign him for whatever he wants and get him to houston asap so he can start hitting the playbook. The time is now.

YOu don't care what it would cost to sign an aging back that's had tons of carries for years now and is all beaten up??? Boy some people just don't learn from mistakes this organization has made in the past with guys like Green and Brown. I've been predicting that Kubes would have a strong interest in LT for a while now and you just may get your wish. But if he is hurt off and on and not all that productive, then don't be surprised at all. He was not a difference maker this season for the Chargers and if they know that he's done being a big time back, then why in the hell should we be bringing him in unless it's on the cheap for a bargain deal??? The price that we would pay him would be very crucial. A back with his kind of miles is never worth a lot of money.

nero THE zero
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
YOu don't care what it would cost to sign an aging back that's had tons of carries for years now and is all beaten up??? Boy some people just don't learn from mistakes this organization has made in the past with guys like Green and Brown.

The consequences of Brown and Green are irrelevant now with LT because the cap will no longer exist. So long as LT doesn't cost us picks, which he won't, you shouldn't care what he costs either.

He was not a difference maker this season for the Chargers and if they know that he's done being a big time back, then why in the hell should we be bringing him in unless it's on the cheap for a bargain deal??? The price that we would pay him would be very crucial. A back with his kind of miles is never worth a lot of money.
He had 12 TD, that's three times as many as our rushing TD leader, Ryan Moats. I'll take that kind of "non-difference maker" anyday.

NitroGSXR
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
YOu don't care what it would cost to sign an aging back that's had tons of carries for years now and is all beaten up??? Boy some people just don't learn from mistakes this organization has made in the past with guys like Green and Brown. I've been predicting that Kubes would have a strong interest in LT for a while now and you just may get your wish. But if he is hurt off and on and not all that productive, then don't be surprised at all. He was not a difference maker this season for the Chargers and if they know that he's done being a big time back, then why in the hell should we be bringing him in unless it's on the cheap for a bargain deal??? The price that we would pay him would be very crucial. A back with his kind of miles is never worth a lot of money.

Nope. I'm certainly not going to get refunded a portion of the price of my season tickets if we don't exhaust the salary cap year in and year out. That's been my issue with the fan base these last couple of years. Having Ahman Green didn't really hurt us financially nor long term. It was a large and short contract. Win/win. We got out of that just fine. It's the high contracts that angers people at times. Who gives a hoot? I want my money's worth every season. You spend every penny that you've taken from me and use the full salary cap. Sucks Green didn't work out but you get back on that horse and spend the allocated budget once again.

theanswer000
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If the money is right and considering if he wants to be here that would be one of the best off-season moves the Texans have done thus far in their history.

He could come in as our primary back but Foster and whoever can also take some snaps a game.

Take a look at this for skill positions

QB
Matt Schaub
RB
Ladainian Tomlinson,Arian Foster, Legarette Blount or another rookie
FB
Vonta Leach
WRs/TEs
Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones, KW, rookie
Owen Daniels,JD, JC

With all of these guys getting a chance to touch the ball next season this team could be looking at going 12-4 or better.

Hervoyel
02-08-2010, 05:25 PM
LenDale White will be a RFA. The team is built on rushing. They'll high tender him. You really want to give a 1st and 3rd for him?

He might actually be worth it. Granted it's not cheap but he can play in the NFL. LT on the other hand will not be worth what we end up paying to get him here. I am so certain of that I already want to throw up. He's a running back just made to fit into houston's "Broke-Back Offense" at this point in his career.

Dutchrudder
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Tender amount Compensation required
$2.562 million First- and third-round
$2.017 million First-round
$1.417 million Second-round
$927,000 Determined by RFA's original draft status

Lendale White was making 1.4 million this past year, so I'm not sure if the Titans will offer him any more than the minimum. 2.562 million is a lot to spend on him, but they might think that it's worth it. I would be surprised if they offer him any less than that.

nero THE zero
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
He might actually be worth it. Granted it's not cheap but he can play in the NFL. LT on the other hand will not be worth what we end up paying to get him here. I am so certain of that I already want to throw up. He's a running back just made to fit into houston's "Broke-Back Offense" at this point in his career.

In what bizzaro-world is Lendale White worth a 1st and 3rd and LT isn't worth a few million in an uncapped year?

I get the whole cynacism thing with some of you guys, but there's a line and you crossed it.

theanswer000
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Lendale White?? Is not worth a 1st and a 3rd. Maybe at best a 3rd alone.

Hervoyel
02-08-2010, 05:45 PM
In what bizzaro-world is Lendale White worth a 1st and 3rd and LT isn't worth a few million in an uncapped year?

I get the whole cynacism thing with some of you guys, but there's a line and you crossed it.

Lendale White?? Is not worth a 1st and a 3rd. Maybe at best a 3rd alone.

I said he might actually be worth it and there's nothing bizarro about it. Lendale White has about 2200 few attempts than Ladanian Tomlinson and so might actually play long enough to justify the investment. He's played four years and has limited miles on him. White might have a second wind like Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson. Tomlinson doesn't. Of that I have no doubt. If he did he spent it a long, long time ago.

You guys just keep on calling for Tomlinson. You're going to look might ridiculous complaining about him when he gives you two years of classic Texans Ahman Green for McNair's money.

Thorn
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Spending money on LenDale White isn't a problem with me, spending draft picks though would be.

nero THE zero
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
You guys just keep on calling for Tomlinson. You're going to look might ridiculous complaining about him when he gives you two years of classic Texans Ahman Green for McNair's money.
Not if he is signed to pair with a high round RB like I'd like.

Regardless, the idea that any draft pick for Lendale White versus money for LT in an uncapped year is unfathomable to me. Granted, there's a difference in $9M/yr for Tomlinson and $2M per year, but anything within reason for LT is easy money versus picks for White.

NitroGSXR
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I said he might actually be worth it and there's nothing bizarro about it. Lendale White has about 2200 few attempts than Ladanian Tomlinson and so might actually play long enough to justify the investment. He's played four years and has limited miles on him. White might have a second wind like Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson. Tomlinson doesn't. Of that I have no doubt. If he did he spent it a long, long time ago.

Let me say that i like the idea of Lendale White among other FAs mentioned. You're under the impression that I'm looking for Ladanian Tomlinson to be the answer. I'm not. I'm looking for a supplement to the entire Texans solution. I don't care if we pay him boatloads of money if we've got the space for it. I'd be more angry if McNair kept the money for himself. Spend your salary cap. Build your team within it. We're a singular piece of the puzzle away from the prize and that's a RB. Sign A big premiere RB, draft a RB high repeatedly are my expectations for the Texans this year. If tomlinson gets half the TDs if got last year... He'd still double moats' best. I'd be pretty happy with that. 3 more TDs and however many fewer fumbles certainly could have made a difference in us making the playoffs this season. Give me a broken down Tomlinson over the crap we have at RB right now.

HOU-TEX
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
spending money on lendale white isn't a problem with me, spending draft picks though would be.

qft!

Silver Oak
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Well, I'll just take the optimistic approach and be glad that the Texans are looking at a variety of options. Maybe they are just kicking the tires on LT to see if he would be an inexpensive fit, while also looking to the draft.

gary
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
White or LT signed for vet min maybe a little more and some incentives based on preformence would be fine with me.

Wolf
02-08-2010, 06:46 PM
when you rank where the Texans ranking in rushing the ball, I imagine media will link the Texans to about each and every one of the FA that are out there.

I have to go with Herv. I am not sure he has much more in the tank. I know he has the all TD's over the years and such, but how would he do with the interior line that the Texans have on that goal line situations

but if the price is right and as a RBBC approach .. how knows, i have been wrong before

The Pencil Neck
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Wow, you can narrow it to 5?!?!

Since the beginning of the year.

Lucky
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Lendale White was making 1.4 million this past year, so I'm not sure if the Titans will offer him any more than the minimum.
It's an uncapped year. No reason not to give White the max tender. Even if he gets the minimum tender, a 2nd round pick would be the compensation. Still too high a price for White, in my estimation. I don't like giving division rivals draft picks.

Lucky
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
The best movie of last year was Hurt Locker...
Finally had to happen. John McClain and I are in agreement, Hurt Locker was the best film of 2009.

As a sports journalist, John McClain makes an excellent movie critic.

Carr Bombed
02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
It's an uncapped year. No reason not to give White the max tender. Even if he gets the minimum tender, a 2nd round pick would be the compensation. Still too high a price for White, in my estimation. I don't like giving division rivals draft picks.

What you didn't like the Jason Babin draft trade? That was a steal. :spin:

Carr Bombed
02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Finally had to happen. John McClain and I are in agreement, Hurt Locker was the best film of 2009.

As a sports journalist, John McClain makes an excellent movie critic.

I watched it last night, it was good don't get me wrong, but it never really went anywhere. I was disappointed in how it ended...it left too many things unresolved.

Lucky
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I watched it last night, it was good don't get me wrong, but it never really went anywhere. I was disappointed in how it ended...it left too many things unresolved.
Maybe that's a parallel to the whole Iraqi/Afghani wars? It is still open ended, and difficult to put into context.

Carr Bombed
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Maybe that's a parallel to the whole Iraqi/Afghani wars? It is still open ended, and difficult to put into context.

That's what I was left thinking as well.

gary
02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Just sign Mr. Jones off of the Seahawks oh, I kidd.

Wolf
02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
As if it weren't clear enough that RB LaDainian Tomlinson would not be back with the Chargers in 2010, the future Hall of Famer likely confirmed it with his recent comments as a guest on a San Diego radio show. He said that he was unhappy with how the past season went and also added that problems existed in the locker room and that there wasn't a feeling of "unity, togetherness and family" with his teammates. After nine years with the Bolts, L.T. sounded ready to move on.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/02/07/raiders-not-sure-if-theyll-commit-to-morrison-2

Texecutioner
02-08-2010, 11:47 PM

I agree with what you're saying about LT for sure and I'd like the idea of having Lendale White here. He's a pretty good bruising back, but not for no freaking 1st and a 3rd. Hell no! I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for his ass. A 3rd would be doable, but in no way shape or form is he anywhere close to being worth a 1st rounder.

houstonspartan
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I agree with what you're saying about LT for sure and I'd like the idea of having Lendale White here. He's a pretty good bruising back, but not for no freaking 1st and a 3rd. Hell no! I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for his ass. A 3rd would be doable, but in no way shape or form is he anywhere close to being worth a 1st rounder.

A first rounder for LenDale White?

Oh. Hell. Naw.

welsh texan
02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey if we take LT maybe we can run a few more HB pass plays on the goalline next season :whistle:

GuerillaBlack
02-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Sign both and roll with Foster, and don't draft a RB unless you can't pass it up. Then trade Andre Davis and a pick for Cribbs. Problem solved (on offense at least).

No More 8-8's
02-09-2010, 09:44 AM
So are we already giving up on Steve Slaton playing next year?

GuerillaBlack
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Might as well.

BIG TORO
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Yea thats pretty much over!

HOU-TEX
02-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Not I. At least not until I hear it from an official source. If, and when he does come back, I'd like to see him utilized more as the 3rd down back he was initially drafted for. I still think he can contribute if he's able to get himself right.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but it's painful seeing players go down with career enders when they're still wet behind the ears.

El Tejano
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I believe we have to operate as if he's out of the picture for 2010 at least. Kubiak has to learn from Domanic Davis/Williams and not put this vital season on the line by hoping Slaton gets cured.

TimeKiller
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Lt = do not want

El Tejano
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Lt = do not want

You don't want to be a Lieutenant?

OzzO
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I think there was a record LT wanted to break... or could break.. or something like that. Perhaps he may still be playing for that if so.

Yep - most seasons leading league in rushing TD's (http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/rushing)- he has 3 with a few others, most is 5.

Texecutioner
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Sign both and roll with Foster, and don't draft a RB unless you can't pass it up. Then trade Andre Davis and a pick for Cribbs. Problem solved (on offense at least).

Not a bad idea GB. Unrealistic though. We couldn't afford to pick up WHite and LT and we simply wouldn't. Maybe one of them though. And I don't see who would have a lot of interest in Davis at this point either. It would take Jacoby Jones and a pick to get Cribbs as well. I like the improvements from Jacoby and all, but I'd take Cribbs over him in a second. Hell, Cribbs started running the ball pretty well last season.

The Pencil Neck
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM

I don't think we can expect him back after that neck surgery.

The Pencil Neck
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Not a bad idea GB. Unrealistic though. We couldn't afford to pick up WHite and LT and we simply wouldn't. Maybe one of them though. And I don't see who would have a lot of interest in Davis at this point either. It would take Jacoby Jones and a pick to get Cribbs as well. I like the improvements from Jacoby and all, but I'd take Cribbs over him in a second. Hell, Cribbs started running the ball pretty well last season.

Holmgren has already said he's going to pay Cribbs and keep him on the Browns. I don't think Cribs is going anywhere.

White isn't going anywhere because he's an RFA and he's not going to be worth the tender they place on him.

LT? It's an uncapped year so who knows but I don't think he's got anything left. If he doesn't have an overinflated opinion of his own worth, then yeah, bring him in and see if he's not Ahman Green or Chris Brown... but don't bet on him being much more productive than those guys.

HJam72
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Kubes is gonna have to learn from BOTH DD & SS.

My advice to SS is get out while you can still feel your lower extremities and (hopefully) don't have migraines yet.

Starting to realize that football is about as healthy as boxing and that extreme fighting champion whatever... Your face doesn't get uglified, but your brain is still bouncing around like a basketball in your skull.

Texecutioner
02-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Holmgren has already said he's going to pay Cribbs and keep him on the Browns. I don't think Cribs is going anywhere.

White isn't going anywhere because he's an RFA and he's not going to be worth the tender they place on him.

LT? It's an uncapped year so who knows but I don't think he's got anything left. If he doesn't have an overinflated opinion of his own worth, then yeah, bring him in and see if he's not Ahman Green or Chris Brown... but don't bet on him being much more productive than those guys.

Oh, I don't want LT. I wouldn't mind having him though if we also had Lendale White. We'd have a nice committee at least then. I wasn't aware of what Holmgren said about Cribbs. Jacoby would be nice trade bait though, since he's a similar player.

theanswer000
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Chargers should be releasing LT this month or next.

He may not be on everyones hot list but he is better than what we have.

Steve will be done you cannot have surgery like that and come back to play professional football. Maybe if he had an office job that would be possible. Even coming back he is at so much more risk due to his past injuries.

Ladainian would be the best compliment to Steve. LT can catch the ball better in the backfield and also still has the ability to juke and cut very well. Not to mention his blocking abilities are very good. He is a seasoned veteran, he also provides experience from being on a team that has had success recently. LT coming to a team like the Texans that is on the brink of being a championship contender would be the best move he could do for himself. He is already a multi-millionaire and I know that this league comes down to the money not the favoritism very much. But reading his comments on the Chargers and the organization, he knows that they are trying to get rid of him and part with him. No one wants to play for a team that does not appreciate them or even run the type of formation they had the most success in. Luckily for us( people who want him here) he is from Texas. And most likely will consider the Texans. Hopefully the Texans can get a deal done that we like and he does aswell.

El Tejano
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm going to stir the pot a bit. We had a thread here that said the Texans could take a page out of the Saints book. The Saints put together a team that has other people's rejects on it. One player in particular was considered too old and teams didn't know how he would play. The Saints went ahead and took him because he fit their defense. That's Darren Sharper. So many INTs later, the Saints put together a defense that was one of the leagues best.

The same situation is going on with LT if I recall. If the Texans are to take a page out of The Saints book, then they are going to have to make a few of these gambles. I believe they can do that now more than ever before because the talent on this team has gotten better. We saw what we were capable of doing without a real run game. Why not take a shot on a guy that scored 12 TDs last year.

Austrian
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm going to stir the pot a bit. We had a thread here that said the Texans could take a page out of the Saints book. The Saints put together a team that has other people's rejects on it. One player in particular was considered too old and teams didn't know how he would play. The Saints went ahead and took him because he fit their defense. That's Darren Sharper. So many INTs later, the Saints put together a defense that was one of the leagues best.

The same situation is going on with LT if I recall. If the Texans are to take a page out of The Saints book, then they are going to have to make a few of these gambles. I believe they can do that now more than ever before because the talent on this team has gotten better. We saw what we were capable of doing without a real run game. Why not take a shot on a guy that scored 12 TDs last year.

Wait what? They were ranked 12 places behind the Texans during regular season in yards allowed and 3 places behind in points allowed. They were mediocre at best, bad at worst. One thing they did well however was causing turnovers.

El Tejano
02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Wait what? They were ranked 12 places behind the Texans during regular season in yards allowed and 3 places behind in points allowed. They were mediocre at best, bad at worst. One thing they did well however was causing turnovers.

That's what I meant.

WWJD
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
For whatever it's worth to each poster John McClain's online chat mentioned nothing about Slaton being done and not coming back...to the contrary he acted as though he would be and they'd just be drafting another back as was their plan all along.

Lucky
02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
For whatever it's worth to each poster John McClain's online chat mentioned nothing about Slaton being done and not coming back...to the contrary he acted as though he would be and they'd just be drafting another back as was their plan all along.
Did McClain ever mention that Domanick Davis-Williams wouldn't be back? Until it was obvious that he wasn't coming back? McClain knows exactly what someone wants him to know.

edo783
02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
You don't want to be a Lieutenant?

Heck no, he knows who both his parents are!

threetoedpete
02-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Heck no, he knows who both his parents are!

Which means he's already ahead of Mike Brown and K2.

CloakNNNdagger
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Did McClain ever mention that Domanick Davis-Williams wouldn't be back? Until it was obvious that he wasn't coming back? McClain knows exactly what someone wants him to know.

I can't find anybody to tell me exactly what happened to Slaton in his second season. He didn't run well from the get-go. He had the fumble problem before suffering the neck injury that required surgery.

McClain of the Chronicle has a noticeable problem with chronology.

PHAROAH
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
LT is washed up IMO and I would rather the texans to go after RB - Willis Mcgahee if he is released by the ravens he seems to have more tread left than LT at this point in there careers. I would still look to draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round depending on who falls to us at #20 in round 1 and I would have Steve Slaton as the 3rd Running Back and as a kickoff return guy until he proves that he can be counted on.

GP
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
My bet is on Smithiak NOT risking another Ahman Green situation.

I think that lesson might have been learned. Hopefully.

theanswer000
02-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Ahman Green was never near the talent that LT had. Even now I know if we sign him he will be the best back we have, a little bit better than Slaton. Maybe LT can actually show Slaton how to hold on to the ball.

El Tejano
02-11-2010, 01:33 AM
IMO and I would rather the texans to go after RB - Willis Mcgahee if he is released by the ravens he seems to have more tread left than LT at this point in there careers.

I had a thread that suggested this and everyone basically dumped on me for it. I agree with you about him and I began to think of Willis again when this thread came up. Talk about a guy that has a nose for the goal line. He's a tough runner. I think he wants to be somewhere where he knows his role on the team. If you are going to go older, this would be the dude to do it with.

TexansSeminole
02-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Picking up any one of the 4 big FA RBs and drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds would be a smart move for this football team. You'll probably have to overpay on guys like Chester Taylor and Leon Washington, but they would provide a stable producer IMO.

Top 4 RBs for the Texans:

Ronnie Brown
Leon Washington
Chester Taylor
LT

Grams
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Picking up any one of the 4 big FA RBs and drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds would be a smart move for this football team. You'll probably have to overpay on guys like Chester Taylor and Leon Washington, but they would provide a stable producer IMO.

Top 4 RBs for the Texans:

Ronnie Brown
Leon Washington
Chester Taylor
LT

Think Ronnie Brown and Leon Washington will be RFA this year. Can't see the Texans giving up draft picks for them.

b0ng
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I think if the Texans brought LT in (at least I hope this anyway) they wouldn't expect him to be "The Guy" and not have anything around him besides Ron Dayne. I would think that if you bring in "LT" you aren't expecting him to carry the load, but to be a guy to bring out in certain packages and situations and try to give him the best chance to get the ball in some space.

However if, like Ahman Greeen, they bring him in expecting to start and get rid of Slaton or Foster then we can definitely say this whole front office is pretty delusional.

Texecutioner
02-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Ahman Green was never near the talent that LT had. Even now I know if we sign him he will be the best back we have, a little bit better than Slaton. Maybe LT can actually show Slaton how to hold on to the ball.

Yes he was. In his prime, Amaan was right there with all of the top rushers in the league. He almost had a 2,000 yard season one year and was great in the passing game as well.

When we got him though, he was all banged up and had been dealing with tons of injuries. It was one of the dumbest things Kubes and SMith have done since they came here.

BigBull17
02-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Yes he was. In his prime, Amaan was right there with all of the top rushers in the league. He almost had a 2,000 yard season one year and was great in the passing game as well.

When we got him though, he was all banged up and had been dealing with tons of injuries. It was one of the dumbest things Kubes and SMith have done since they came here.

I think it was THE dumbest thing they have done. Mostly because they assumed the position was covered and ignored it.

thunderkyss
02-12-2010, 07:00 PM

I'll admit I spit the kool-aide when we signed Ahman Green. I was never a big fan of his (borne out of a hatred of the Green Bay Packers), but after reading the excitement on the original HT.com MB, I toted the company line. I don't believe it was among the dumbest things Smithiak has done.

That year, we had Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy, & Chris Taylor going into camp. Chris Taylor was our promising rookie from 2006. Dayne was a horse, & Samkon Gado had success with Sherman. Ahman Green just came off a 1000 yard season (in 14 games) with Sherman, & he was supposed to be our salty vet more than anything.

Michael Turner resigned with the Chargers. Any other Free Agent RB at that time was just as big a gamble as Green.

steelbtexan
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
This could be the title of a new thread.

Worst moves Smithiak have made.

Rd1 pick no.10 of the 2007 draft is Amobi Okoye. This would be my pick.

Although I drank the Koolaid that was sold to me on Green.

DerekLee1
02-14-2010, 03:32 AM
I'd be OK with LT if he was a 3-headed monster with Slaton and Foster. Slaton proved himself in '08 and Foster looked solid at the end of '09. But he has to be only one of three, and not "the guy". It's at least as good as a 1st round draft pick, right?

Imatexanfan
02-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Hey didn't LT play high school ball in Palestine, TX?!:doot:

GuerillaBlack
02-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Nope. He played in Waco.

NitroGSXR
02-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I'll admit I spit the kool-aide when we signed Ahman Green. I was never a big fan of his (borne out of a hatred of the Green Bay Packers), but after reading the excitement on the original HT.com MB, I toted the company line. I don't believe it was among the dumbest things Smithiak has done.

That year, we had Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Samkon Gado, Wali Lundy, & Chris Taylor going into camp. Chris Taylor was our promising rookie from 2006. Dayne was a horse, & Samkon Gado had success with Sherman. Ahman Green just came off a 1000 yard season (in 14 games) with Sherman, & he was supposed to be our salty vet more than anything.

Michael Turner resigned with the Chargers. Any other Free Agent RB at that time was just as big a gamble as Green.

The thing about it is that upsets people so much about the Ahman Green signing is the contract we gave him. The Texans had nothing to offer a premiere RB other than money. We were not a contender and the future was bleak. It was a great move by the Texans. We needed a marquee bandaid while we built our team. It didn't pan out. No worries. It was a short contract. If anything, we got overhyped on Wali Lundy.

CloakNNNdagger
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM

I believe you're thinking of Adrian Peterson.

silvrhand
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Color me interested, I think LT still has gas left in the tank, personally I don't think that SD has had much of a running game up front cause they haven't committed to the run, they are a pass first run second offense.

I think signing LT for two years at 4-5M a year would be a good thing.

Brisco_County
02-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Count me in favor of signing LT to a short term deal. It's not high risk. I don't think the Green comparison is accurate either. It's true that LT is less durable than he once was, but he's no China doll. The guidance that he can provide the younger backs is very valuable. He's a team player first, and will want to lead.

GuerillaBlack
02-15-2010, 01:02 AM
We brought in Ahman Green to be our feature back. LT won't be asked to be that for us.

Brisco_County
02-15-2010, 01:19 AM
We brought in Ahman Green to be our feature back. LT won't be asked to be that for us.

Another point in support of the "low risk" argument.

But that could also be a reason he wouldn't accept the offer.

El Tejano
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Another point in support of the "low risk" argument.

But that could also be a reason he wouldn't accept the offer.

Well it's a moot point since we obviously will not persue him. But Brisco_County makes a great point because if we persue him it will be for that. If we don't then it's because we know he doesn't want what our team wants.

BullNation4Life
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Well it's a moot point since we obviously will not persue him. But Brisco_County makes a great point because if we persue him it will be for that. If we don't then it's because we know he doesn't want what our team wants.

I think the Texans would put feelers out there for LT. It would be a low risk, win-win situation for both Texans and LT. LT can pad some stats, in a minimal roll mind you, and LT can become a mentor for Slaton and Foster. I would feel very comfortable with Slaton, Foster and LT as the RBs next year. They then can draft that RB they want, bring him on little by little because we all know how Kubiak feels about RBs and pass blocking.

I think LT will give that veteran presence to the RBs they lack. He or Thomas Jones would work, being they would except those types of rolls...

Porky
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I say yes on LT (as a piece, not all that and a bag of chips)

And y'all really want Lenwhale White here? Really? Why? :thinking:

http://blog.huddle.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger.jpg

Texan JBZ
02-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Don't like it. I'm on the Arian Foster bandwagon. Have been every since they signed him. Dude has big-time talent. I hate the way Kubes brings some players along. Foster should have been getting carries a lot earlier in the season. No need for LT. Just draft a back in the middle rounds to go with Stevie, Arian, and Moats. No more used-up backs!

Texecutioner
02-15-2010, 05:42 PM

http://blog.huddle.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger.jpg

Na man, Lendale has changed from the pound burger to SLIDERS now days. You didn't see the drop off in weight he had last season?

Lendale is a good bruiser to have for any team.

thunderkyss
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Don't like it. I'm on the Arian Foster bandwagon. Have been every since they signed him. Dude has big-time talent. I hate the way Kubes brings some players along. Foster should have been getting carries a lot earlier in the season. No need for LT. Just draft a back in the middle rounds to go with Stevie, Arian, and Moats. No more used-up backs!

Sorry, I reread your post & you're spot on.

Arian Foster should replace Chris Brown, we should draft our "feature back" and move on.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Sorry, I reread your post & you're spot on.

Arian Foster should replace Chris Brown, we should draft our "feature back" and move on.

What makes yall or anybody else so sure that drafting a "feature back" is even gonna see the field in 2010? I am sure you know how Kubiak sees running backs on his team? If they cannot do the little things, ie pass block #1, Kubiak will not put them on the field, period. Only reason Slaton got onto the field as quickly as he did was he could pass block, it was because of that we found out what kind of runner he was.

the main reason Foster wasn't used earlier was because Foster didn't "get it" , ie pass blocking and knowing your assignments, until the last few weeks of the year, the only reason Kubiak didn't play him sooner, in his own words on Kubiak's radio show.

It doesn't matter what kind of back is drafted or how great of a runner this back is, if he cannot do the little things Kubiak demands, you basically wasted a pick on a back that won't see action until he learns. That is why they are very selective in what kind of back they take and what system they come from. If said back comes from a system much like the Texans run now, and has pass blocking experience, even though he is from a smaller school or even a Div II school, they would take him over any of the other "big named" backs who do not have that experience.

That is why taking LT would not be a bad thing, you can draft your back for the future, get him where he needs to be, to become that complete back. If he comes on quickly, then you have 3 good backs and a seasoned vet to help the running game. Not terrible situation to be in, BUT if you take that back and he doesn't develop as quickly and they didn't sign a LT or Taylor or Jones, now you go into next season with a rookie back Kubiak doesn't trust and may not see any action and 2 good backs to hold up through the season....

I think at least having that vet as a safety valve is a smart choice, IMO....

El Tejano
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM

I think this is how Smithiak sees it also.

thunderkyss
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
What makes yall or anybody else so sure that drafting a "feature back" is even gonna see the field in 2010?

That is why taking LT would not be a bad thing, you can draft your back for the future, get him where he needs to be, to become that complete back. If he comes on quickly, then you have 3 good backs and a seasoned vet to help the running game. Not terrible situation to be in, BUT if you take that back and he doesn't develop as quickly and they didn't sign a LT or Taylor or Jones, now you go into next season with a rookie back Kubiak doesn't trust and may not see any action and 2 good backs to hold up through the season....

I think at least having that vet as a safety valve is a smart choice, IMO....

If we draft a RB, 2nd round our higher, he's going to get playing time. Period. The only way Kubiak will draft a running back that high, he'll have to be a complete back.

I like the idea of picking up LT..... I'm a little jaded, and hope that he can prove everybody wrong. But it wouldn't be a good idea to bring him in thinking that way.

Instead, his role would be to fill the shoes of Chris Brown. He's a bigger back. He get's tough yards when you need them. & he'll consistently gain yards. (Maybe I should have said he'll fill the role Chris Brown was supposed to...)

We've seen enough of Arian Foster to believe he can do that. At least I have.

The probability of LT breaking off a 20+ yard run, and Arian Foster breaking off a 20+ yard run is about the same, and Foster is younger.

IMHO, we've got to go forward thinking Slaton won't play in 2010. We need a feature back. Whether that's Chester Taylor, or a 1st/2nd round rookie doesn't matter to me. Right now, we don't have a starter.

Moats is our third down change of pace guy. If it turns out that Slaton can play in 2010, Moats is gone. In all actuality, I'd rather see Chris Henry in this spot. Kubiak doesn't like Moats anyway, for whatever reason. Might as well let him go somewhere they will let him play.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
If we draft a RB, 2nd round our higher, he's going to get playing time. Period. The only way Kubiak will draft a running back that high, he'll have to be a complete back.

I like the idea of picking up LT..... I'm a little jaded, and hope that he can prove everybody wrong. But it wouldn't be a good idea to bring him in thinking that way.

Instead, his role would be to fill the shoes of Chris Brown. He's a bigger back. He get's tough yards when you need them. & he'll consistently gain yards. (Maybe I should have said he'll fill the role Chris Brown was supposed to...)

We've seen enough of Arian Foster to believe he can do that. At least I have.

The probability of LT breaking off a 20+ yard run, and Arian Foster breaking off a 20+ yard run is about the same, and Foster is younger.

IMHO, we've got to go forward thinking Slaton won't play in 2010. We need a feature back. Whether that's Chester Taylor, or a 1st/2nd round rookie doesn't matter to me. Right now, we don't have a starter.

Moats is our third down change of pace guy. If it turns out that Slaton can play in 2010, Moats is gone. In all actuality, I'd rather see Chris Henry in this spot. Kubiak doesn't like Moats anyway, for whatever reason. Might as well let him go somewhere they will let him play.

My question is, are there any backs that high that are the complete package that Kubiak is looking for. The last back ever taken high in this type of system was Clinton Portis in the 2nd and they shipped him off to Washington, one reason being he sucked as a pass blocker and they rather of had a lock down corner.

I not expecting LT to break 20 yard runs. I would be more so looking inside the RedZone, closer to the goaline. On a bad year, he still had 12 TDs, that is what 6 more than Slaton and Foster combined? I just think having that veteran presence in the locker room, around these young backs, would be very beneficial.

thunderkyss
02-16-2010, 01:06 PM
My question is, are there any backs that high that are the complete package that Kubiak is looking for. The last back ever taken high in this type of system was Clinton Portis in the 2nd and they shipped him off to Washington, one reason being he sucked as a pass blocker and they rather of had a lock down corner.

Are you thinking LT would be our starter? Or Slaton? Or Foster?

Let's draft a guy, let Slaton or Foster or even Chris Henry start until the rookie comes along. He'll still get carries, we'll still see him on the field...... but we won't risk getting Schaub killed.

I not expecting LT to break 20 yard runs. I would be more so looking inside the RedZone, closer to the goaline. On a bad year, he still had 12 TDs, that is what 6 more than Slaton and Foster combined? I just think having that veteran presence in the locker room, around these young backs, would be very beneficial.

Good point...

Are we still going to draft another RB, or are you going with Slaton, Foster & LT?

I'd much rather Rookie, Slaton, Foster... or Rookie, Chris Henry, Foster... I think there is more upside.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Are you thinking LT would be our starter? Or Slaton? Or Foster?

Let's draft a guy, let Slaton or Foster or even Chris Henry start until the rookie comes along. He'll still get carries, we'll still see him on the field...... but we won't risk getting Schaub killed.

Good point...

Are we still going to draft another RB, or are you going with Slaton, Foster & LT?

I'd much rather Rookie, Slaton, Foster... or Rookie, Chris Henry, Foster... I think there is more upside.

No, I go Slaton and Foster as starters. I use LT for Red Zone, kinda like Baltimore uses McGahee and Rice. They use Rice between the 20s and McGahee in the RedZone. I think LT still has a knack for finding the endzone and still can be effective out of the backfield. Of course all this would depend on how big LT's ego is and if he would except that type of roll...

You can still draft that future back, but you will not have to put him straight into the proverbial fire from the start. Like I mentioned, for Kubes to trust a back fully, he has to show in practice that he can do what is asked of him before Kubiak will give him the chance to show it in the game.

I would just hate to find out that in Kubiak's eyes, the rookie isn't ready and you have Slaton and Foster and Moats or Henry when you could have had a nice vet back like Taylor, LT or Jones back there helping take the load off these young guys. I mean let's face it, Moats is what he is and Henry couldn't get off the practice squad, mainly because he isn't use to this kind of system.

thunderkyss
02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I would just hate to find out that in Kubiak's eyes, the rookie isn't ready and you have Slaton and Foster and Moats or Henry when you could have had a nice vet back like Taylor, LT or Jones back there helping take the load off these young guys. I mean let's face it, Moats is what he is and Henry couldn't get off the practice squad, mainly because he isn't use to this kind of system.

I hear ya..... & it makes sense. I would just hate to get to Sept. & find out Slaton can't go. IMHO, that means we have to act as if Slaton won't play, and draft a RB in the early rounds.

The rookie is our future starter. If Slaton is able to play, he & Foster would split the Carries, and the rookie will take a few. I understand what you are saying about Kubiak, but Slaton was a third round pick, & he dressed for every game. Wali Lundy was our starter to open the 2006 Season.. so it's not like there is no chance that he'll get a carry.

an Undrafted FA, like Jerimiah Johnson, Arian Foster, Chris Taylor..... yeah, you're not going to see them until late in the season. But 4th round or higher, I'm sure Kubiak would activate him early in the season.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I hear ya..... & it makes sense. I would just hate to get to Sept. & find out Slaton can't go. IMHO, that means we have to act as if Slaton won't play, and draft a RB in the early rounds.

The rookie is our future starter. If Slaton is able to play, he & Foster would split the Carries, and the rookie will take a few. I understand what you are saying about Kubiak, but Slaton was a third round pick, & he dressed for every game. Wali Lundy was our starter to open the 2006 Season.. so it's not like there is no chance that he'll get a carry.

an Undrafted FA, like Jerimiah Johnson, Arian Foster, Chris Taylor..... yeah, you're not going to see them until late in the season. But 4th round or higher, I'm sure Kubiak would activate him early in the season.

Wali Lundy.....dam forgot all about that dude being the starter in 06.

Well I have been posting that Texans should trade their 2nd pick for Michael Bush or Le'Ron McClain but guess nobody sees the upside like I do to that move....

Ah well, guess that's why I am on a message board and not in the FO...

thunderkyss
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Wali Lundy.....dam forgot all about that dude being the starter in 06.

Well I have been posting that Texans should trade their 2nd pick for Michael Bush or Le'Ron McClain but guess nobody sees the upside like I do to that move....

Ah well, guess that's why I am on a message board and not in the FO...

I like McClain... Jury is out on Bush.... I think a second is pretty high considering.

BullNation4Life
02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I like McClain... Jury is out on Bush.... I think a second is pretty high considering.

Maybe, but you always are gonna overpay or over compensate for what you want. Everyone thought 2 2nd rounders for Schaub was too much and he ends up leading the NFL in several categories. Imagine what he would be worth now. I say if you want'em, get'em and worry about the out come later. It is a calculated risk in McClain and Bush and a 2nd rounder makes the deal go over easy. You get an experienced running back who has carries in the NFL rather a rookie you are hoping turns out.

Just saying...

Texan JBZ
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe, but you always are gonna overpay or over compensate for what you want. Everyone thought 2 2nd rounders for Schaub was too much and he ends up leading the NFL in several categories. Imagine what he would be worth now. I say if you want'em, get'em and worry about the out come later. It is a calculated risk in McClain and Bush and a 2nd rounder makes the deal go over easy. You get an experienced running back who has carries in the NFL rather a rookie you are hoping turns out.

Just saying...

Having NFL experience as a RB is overrated imo. Ray Rice is a second year back. Shonn Greene was a rook. Pierre Thomas? Dude is like 26. Felix Jones is a phenom in his second season. Chris Johnson is a second year back and argubly the best player in the NFL. Johnaton Stewart is solid. And on, and on. Give me young, hungry legs without a lot of wear and tear over "experience" any day of the week. Ryan Matthews or Anthony Dixon will be better than going and picking up LT, who's better days are behind him. The only RB I would even consider in free agency would be Willis.

TexansSeminole
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Having NFL experience as a RB is overrated imo. Ray Rice is a second year back. Shonn Greene was a rook. Pierre Thomas? Dude is like 26. Felix Jones is a phenom in his second season. Chris Johnson is a second year back and argubly the best player in the NFL. Johnaton Stewart is solid. And on, and on. Give me young, hungry legs without a lot of wear and tear over "experience" any day of the week. Ryan Matthews or Anthony Dixon will be better than going and picking up LT, who's better days are behind him. The only RB I would even consider in free agency would be Willis.

Why not just do both? Grab one of the top 5 backs and pick up LT. Money well spent IMO, considering we would have options at the RB position for the first time in history.

awtysst
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM

I don't know who that guy is, but the poor guy has been the butt of so many jokes since he got on the internet. Hope the burger was good.

ArlingtonTexan
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Why not just do both? Grab one of the top 5 backs and pick up LT. Money well spent IMO, considering we would have options at the RB position for the first time in history.

The problem is that LT is not an option at this point in his career. There were two teams in the NFL with worst running games in the NFL than the Texans . One of them the San Diego Chagers lead by L. Tomlinson with his 250 totes at 3.3 yards a carry.

Great career, terrible 2010 option for the Houston Texans.

TexansSeminole
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
The problem is that LT is not an option at this point in his career. There were two teams in the NFL with worst running games in the NFL than the Texans . One of them the San Diego Chagers lead by L. Tomlinson with his 250 totes at 3.3 yards a carry.

Great career, terrible 2010 option for the Houston Texans.

Their problem was more than LT. Darren Sproles ran 93 times at 3.7 YPC. The rest of their other rushing attempts combined were worse than 3.3. The Chargers offensive line was just as bad as ours was at opening lanes.

IF we improve the o-line I think LT could be effective with 5-10 carries a game. You add an early round draft pick that can contribute another 5-10 carries a game and you have yourself some options.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Their problem was more than LT. Darren Sproles ran 93 times at 3.7 YPC. The rest of their other rushing attempts combined were worse than 3.3. The Chargers offensive line was just as bad as ours was at opening lanes.

IF we improve the o-line I think LT could be effective with 5-10 carries a game. You add an early round draft pick that can contribute another 5-10 carries a game and you have yourself some options.

They need a guy they hand the ball to 15-20 times a game. The Texans need a clear starting NFL running back, not patch work jobs. If you are going to patch work Moats, Chris Henry, slaton and Foster can do that. Too many people on this board get excited over names. Tomlinson is just a name at this point not a player.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/statistics?season=2009&team=SD&seasonType=REG

Rushing Statistics
Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
LaDainian Tomlinson 223 730 3.3 36 12
Darren Sproles 93 343 3.7 21 3
Philip Rivers 26 50 1.9 15 1
Mike Tolbert 25 148 5.9 32 1
Michael Bennett 23 65 2.8 14 0
Jacob Hester 21 74 3.5 15 0
Billy Volek 9 -9 -1.0 -1 0
Vincent Jackson 3 11 3.7 12 0
Legedu Naanee 3 7 2.3 10 0
Craig Davis 1 4 4.0 4 0

infantrycak
02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Tomlinson is just a name at this point not a player.

Except that he is a proven still dependable short yardage guy who is also good in pass protection, catches the ball and rarely fumbles. I certainly wouldn't pay very much for him but dump Brown, bring in a 2nd or 3rd round rookie, dump Moats and have say Ryan Mathews (who looks like a great fit for the system), Slaton, Foster & LT. Somebody will outbid us though.

NitroGSXR
02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Except that he is a proven still dependable short yardage guy who is also good in pass protection, catches the ball and rarely fumbles. I certainly wouldn't pay very much for him but dump Brown, bring in a 2nd or 3rd round rookie, dump Moats and have say Ryan Mathews (who looks like a great fit for the system), Slaton, Foster & LT. Somebody will outbid us though.

Exactly. I looked at that list ArlingtonTexan posted... I thought i saw three premiere names on there in LT, Sproles, and Bennett. Maybe premiere is the wrong word but they were all very good and capable of starting anywhere. That being said... It's a telling sign for me that proves there's something wrong in San Diego. We were able to have a 4.0+ avg runner here and there. Besides, even if LaDainian goes bust at a single yard per carry... He still scored a lot of TDs. He's got something in the tank and it's definitely better than the CRAP that's been waved in front of our faces by the Texans. I'm on the LT boat bigtime but also in conjunction to high draft picks.
I don't think we'll be outbid. I don't think we're going to do much about it. We've always had crap dangled in our faces at the RB position. Yeah... that means i thought Domanick was crap too. 13 TDs was his best and 12 is LT's worst says it all to me.

Thorn
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
As long as Foster is back and given an honest chance to compete and they grab a good RB in the first couple of rounds, I'm happy.

I just don't want them to sign another aging back (pick any of them) and hope he, Foster, Moats and an iffy Slaton is going to do it. I won't be happy with that at all. No matter what they do, they HAVE to get a RB in the early rounds this year.

Joe Texan
02-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I am sure we are looking at the younger set of backs more than waisting any time on the older dudes, if it is a no brainer and he can be stolen I am sure we would pick up LT But other teams will be more desperate and pony up the big money while McSmithiak will probably be looking a lot younger and draftable.
You have to be able to see the Johnsons coming out of the pile while every one else is focused on LT. This year is very exciting and I cannot wait for Training camp.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2010, 12:53 PM

There is nothing in the recent NFL history where a Hall of Fame back, went to another team at the end of his career settled on being a role player and conrtibuted to a winning program. Tomlinson is on a downward trend his 2008 yards per carry was 3.7 ish and 3.3 in 2009. As a guy used to being the man and highly paid, I don't expect him to settle for being a better Chris Brown. Maybe reality come in really hard for him, but he is not a good risk at almost any price.

I don't care about any intangiibles that he many or may not bring. The Texans need a RB with tangible talent who is a 15 carry a game guy.

Thorn
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
There is nothing in the recent NFL history where a Hall of Fame back, went to another team at the end of his career settled on being a role player and conrtibuted to a winning program. Tomlinson is on a downward trend his 2008 yards per carry was 3.7 ish and 3.3 in 2009. As a guy used to being the man and highly paid, I don't expect him to settle for being a better Chris Brown. Maybe reality come in really hard for him, but he is not a good risk at almost any price.

I don't care about any intangiibles that he many or may not bring. The Texans need a RB with tangible talent who is a 15 carry a game guy.

If LT can be had on the cheap AND we draft a new RB in the high rounds, that's not so bad. You know they are going to get a free agent RB somewhere this off season, as long as they don't break the bank on a broken down back again like A Green I see nothing wrong with signing LT.

Second Honeymoon
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
I am sure we are looking at the younger set of backs more than waisting any time on the older dudes, if it is a no brainer and he can be stolen I am sure we would pick up LT But other teams will be more desperate and pony up the big money while McSmithiak will probably be looking a lot younger and draftable.
You have to be able to see the Johnsons coming out of the pile while every one else is focused on LT. This year is very exciting and I cannot wait for Training camp.

we are talking about football right? if not, count me out.

on a serious note, I would only want LT if he gives us a team friendly deal for a chance to be starter.

fwiw - i am laughing with joe now, not at him. we may disagree but our little fan feud is over.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
If LT can be had on the cheap AND we draft a new RB in the high rounds, that's not so bad. You know they are going to get a free agent RB somewhere this off season, as long as they don't break the bank on a broken down back again like A Green I see nothing wrong with signing LT.

Tomlinson is a broken down back.

infantrycak
02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Tomlinson is a broken down back.

Are you looking at any vets? - if so, who? My thought was make a run at LT and get a rookie. The popular alternative I hear is Chester Taylor who is only 3 months younger, only averaged 3.6 ypc himself last year and in his entire career has as many TDs as LT has had in the last two broken down years. I understand the concerns on LT and as I said wouldn't sign him to more than 2 years and about $3 mil. So some team will probably out bid that and farewell at more. I'd like them to at least talk to him.

Other possibilities:
Leon Washington coming off injury.
Willie Parker coming off injury and two poor seasons.
Kevin Faulk - talk about old

That's pretty much the vet FAs out there.

ArlingtonTexan
02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Are you looking at any vets? - if so, who? My thought was make a run at LT and get a rookie. The popular alternative I hear is Chester Taylor who is only 3 months younger, only averaged 3.6 ypc himself last year and in his entire career has as many TDs as LT has had in the last two broken down years. I understand the concerns on LT and as I said wouldn't sign him to more than 2 years and about $3 mil. So some team will probably out bid that and farewell at more. I'd like them to at least talk to him.

Other possibilities:

Chester Taylor probably is the only who I could see as okay, I would bet money on him being able to handle a 200 carry or so load.

Right which means you don't sign any of the "name" guys, but add a boring system guy that brings no buzz or excitement from the fan base. Maybe even get creative as a GM and find a trade or be ready to pounce when a decent option is cut. You can't force what not there and a heavily used, 31 year old (when the season starts), coming off a mediocore at best season is forcing something an idea has no history of working in any significant manner.

Texecutioner
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Other possibilities:

Jason SNelling looked very impressive for the Falcons last season. He runs hard and I could see him being very successful somewhere. I'd like to make a run at him.

And Chester Taylor's been a back up to the almighty AP who gets like 25 carries a game. Taylor's been a bad ass the last 3 seasons when he's gotten his opportunities and he's got a damn good nose for the end zone. He'd be great with the Texans.

infantrycak
02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Jason SNelling looked very impressive for the Falcons last season. He runs hard and I could see him being very successful somewhere. I'd like to make a run at him.

Snelling is an ERFA. Might well file that one away.

And Chester Taylor's been a back up to the almighty AP who gets like 25 carries a game. Taylor's been a bad ass the last 3 seasons when he's gotten his opportunities and he's got a damn good nose for the end zone. He'd be great with the Texans.

Bad ass? - last season he averaged 3.6 ypc and had 1 TD. He's the same age as LT, yes with less wear and tear, and has only busted off runs over 30 yds 3 or 4 times in his career. I'm not against him but I'd rather see LT he has a much better nose for the end zone still. But I wouldn't want either one for a long term or expensive contract. There are a bunch of RFA's out there but the only ones who won't get 1st round or above tenders may be Harrison and Norwood.

Texecutioner
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Snelling is an ERFA. Might well file that one away.

Bad ass? - last season he averaged 3.6 ypc and had 1 TD. He's the same age as LT, yes with less wear and tear, and has only busted off runs over 30 yds 3 or 4 times in his career. I'm not against him but I'd rather see LT he has a much better nose for the end zone still. But I wouldn't want either one for a long term or expensive contract. There are a bunch of RFA's out there but the only ones who won't get 1st round or above tenders may be Harrison and Norwood.

Taylor has ran much better than LT in the last two seasons and hasn't had the injury issues or near the wear and tear. Have you watched the Vikings much the last few seasons? When he gets his chances, he runs hard and very efficiently and I've seen him fight extra hard to get into the end zone plenty of times. I don't think LT has any more of a nose for the end zone at all. Taylor can get there just fine and better than LT can at this point. He plays behind the best inside the 5 runner in football right now though in AP. Had Taylor been a starter, I can promise you that the guy would probably have had like 14 TD's this season. He's very good inside the 5. He'd be a much safer investment than LT would be at this point.

And the Texans should seriously consider trading a pick or something to get a back up RB on another team like Hillis or Snelling then. I'd be fine with a 4th round pick or something like that. Both of these guys are very young with hardly any miles on them. Both men have proven to be able to run very well in between the tackles. I'd rather do that than draft an unknown guy honestly. I think the odds are better to do that if you can find a team interested and the Broncos don't even use Hillis. I can't see why they wouldn't want to trade him for next to nothing.

infantrycak
02-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Taylor has ran much better than LT in the last two seasons and hasn't had the injury issues or near the wear and tear. Have you watched the Vikings much the last few seasons? When he gets his chances, he runs hard and very efficiently and I've seen him fight extra hard to get into the end zone plenty of times. I don't think LT has any more of a nose for the end zone at all. Taylor can get there just fine and better than LT can at this point. He plays behind the best inside the 5 runner in football right now though in AP.

Yeah I watched the Vikings and Chargers and the Vikings have a premier run blocking line and the Chargers do not. Plenty of times? LT has gotten there 23 times in the last two seasons at a rate of 1 every 22.4 times he touches the ball. Taylor has gotten there 5 times at a rate of 1 every 39 times he touches the ball. Yeah LT has lost his nose for the end zone. In the last two years that show LT's gone off a cliff he has as many as Taylor in his entire career. I don't think either one will be here so it really doesn't matter but I would prefer LT.

And the Texans should seriously consider trading a pick or something to get a back up RB on another team like Hillis or Snelling then. I'd be fine with a 4th round pick or something like that. Both of these guys are very young with hardly any miles on them. Both men have proven to be able to run very well in between the tackles. I'd rather do that than draft an unknown guy honestly. I think the odds are better to do that if you can find a team interested and the Broncos don't even use Hillis. I can't see why they wouldn't want to trade him for next to nothing.

Not sure I see a whole lot of benefit over a rookie like Ryan Mathews but hey if you can get one of them or maybe Harrison for a 4th or 5th then go for it.

Texecutioner
02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah I watched the Vikings and Chargers and the Vikings have a premier run blocking line and the Chargers do not. Plenty of times? LT has gotten there 23 times in the last two seasons at a rate of 1 every 22.4 times he touches the ball. Taylor has gotten there 5 times at a rate of 1 every 39 times he touches the ball. Yeah LT has lost his nose for the end zone. In the last two years that show LT's gone off a cliff he has as many as Taylor in his entire career. I don't think either one will be here so it really doesn't matter but I would prefer LT.

Agree to disagree.

Not sure I see a whole lot of benefit over a rookie like Ryan Mathews but hey if you can get one of them or maybe Harrison for a 4th or 5th then go for it.

Hey, if you can land a guy that's already shown that he can run well and in between the tackles and can be good in the red zone, then might as well get that over with before the draft then to have to worry about what guy would be worth in this round or that round or have to take chances on a certain guy slipping.

TexansSeminole
02-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Agree to disagree.

Hey, if you can land a guy that's already shown that he can run well and in between the tackles and can be good in the red zone, then might as well get that over with before the draft then to have to worry about what guy would be worth in this round or that round or have to take chances on a certain guy slipping.

Well, I think cak and I are in agreement in thinking that we should be looking to add a FA like LT or Chester Taylor AND draft a running back in the first 3 or 4 rounds. We are going to need some real help at the RB position if we are going to be a playoff team.

I don't understand why LT couldn't come in, at this point of his career, and give us 5-10 carries a game for a season and be effective.

Thorn
02-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, I think cak and I are in agreement in thinking that we should be looking to add a FA like LT or Chester Taylor AND draft a running back in the first 3 or 4 rounds. We are going to need some real help at the RB position if we are going to be a playoff team.

I don't understand why LT couldn't come in, at this point of his career, and give us 5-10 carries a game for a season and be effective.

that's what I'm thinking as well. LT or any other back we get in free agency isn't going to be our answer at running back anyway, it's going to be who we draft or possibly Foster, but I'm not banking on Foster just yet. I want to see Foster go through another camp and do some serious running next season before I get to exicited about him.

Moats - meh....maybe
J. Johnson - is he even coming back?
Slaton - can't depend on him for 2010 from what I've been reading. Hope I'm wrong.
the rest - screw em, camp fodder
a FA RB we pick up, another maybe

We got to get a good running back in the draft this year. We just have to.

HOU-TEX
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
LT's been cut!

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers all-time leading rusher, was released today after nine remarkable seasons in San Diego.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Tomlinson%E2%80%99s-time-in-San-Diego-ends/4017d022-3cb2-4a9b-8ae0-9511599ef969

ArlingtonTexan
02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
The release is official

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/22/chargers-let-go-of-ladainian-tomlinson/

Chargers let go of LaDainian Tomlinson
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 22, 2010 4:12 PM ET
In a move that was fully expected but still feels odd to type, the Chargers released LaDainian Tomlinson Monday after nine seasons with the team.

The timing of the release was likely made of deference to Tomlinson's impressive career. Now he can start talking with other teams and get a head start on most unrestricted free agents.

"It has been a privilege to work with him and witness his entire career," owner Dean Spanos said in a statement. "I'm proud of him and grateful to him for the way he has carried himself both on and off the field.

"No matter where he chooses to continue his career, in my mind LT will always be a San Diego Charger. His legacy as one of the greatest running backs the game has ever seen will be as a Charger."

Heath Shuler
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Tomlinson released by Chargers
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4936783
The San Diego Chargers released running back LaDainian Tomlinson Monday afternoon, according to a source.
Tomlinson played nine seasons in San Diego, but at the age of 30 and with declining numbers, Tomlinson has been anticipating his release for the past month.

Hardcore Texan
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
The 3rd thread is a charm ;)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1369787#post1369787

imatexan
02-22-2010, 05:01 PM
LT's been cut!

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Tomlinson%E2%80%99s-time-in-San-Diego-ends/4017d022-3cb2-4a9b-8ae0-9511599ef969

Sign him!!!

:slapfight:

TheIronDuke
02-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone know when he'll be officially released? :thinking:

JB
02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Anyone know when he'll be officially released? :thinking:

Done!

Hoss
02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
bring him back home...

HOU-TEX
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
bring him back home...

Yup, but Dallas already has plenty of RB's. :winky:

Mike Kerns
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't exactly say that I believe he is "done." But, he is exiting that road, in my opinion.

I think the Texans will due their due diligence, but some other team out there will make a much harder push and pay more than Houston will be willing to.

Mr. White
02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Why do I keep getting visions of Emmitt Smith in a Cards uniform?

Hoss
02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Yup, but Dallas already has plenty of RB's. :winky:

true but, to be a texan...:evil:

Mike Kerns
02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
McClain: Texans have no interest in ex-Chargers RB Tomlinson

Via his Twitter.

gary
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Via his Twitter.They are probably having flash backs of Green.

Big Poundcake
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd be cool with the Texans signing LT if he comes cheap.

GP
02-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Via his Twitter.

LOL. Which means the Texans probably DO have interest in LT.

They're not going to advertise it if they do.

I wonder if McClain could honestly say he has a source for this. I doubt he does.

Mike Kerns
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/02/dont_expect_texans_to_sign_tom.html

The Texans have no interest in LaDainian Tomlinson, who was released by the Chargers.

As they do with every player, the Texans have done their homework on veteran NFL running backs, including LaDainian Tomlinson, who was waived by San Diego today. The Texans need a running back, but they want young and hungry, not a back looking for one last contract.

Two weeks ago, owner Bob McNair said the Texans look at free agents who are on their way up. That rules out Tomlinson.

When the Texans contingent lands in Indianapolis this week for the combine that starts Thursday, expect them to keep a collective close eye on the running backs, probably one they can draft in the second round.

Here's wishing Tomlinson, who is a class act from Waco and one of the all-time greats, good luck finding a new home.

D-ReK
02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
http://www.ook-ook.net/searchfirst.gif

MannyFresh
02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
We need a loud mouth like Ocho Cinco on the team to spill the beans or say hey "why not this guy"....but not LT, unless he comes cheap and not the starter.

GP
02-22-2010, 08:17 PM

I don't 100% think that McNair ruled out LT altogether.

Did he say they will focus MORE on guys who have a lot of tread on the tires, and are on the way up? Yes. Did he say, specifically, that they have zero interest in LT? I don't read it that way. I read it as basically a clever way to tell fans they won't make Ahman Green moves anymore...but yet he's got wiggle room in that answer if he wants an older veteran like LT.

We have to remember that this is the same guy (McNair) who says he expects playoffs in 2009. This is a guy who can look uber-pissed off when we're getting our butts kicked by divisional rivals, or on MNF in our own stadium against a doofus of a QB and a very mediocre defense, and yet say to the press that he believes Kubiak is "the" guy when the dust settles at the end of the year.

So...

1. Do I "buy" that McNair meant Kubiak better make playoffs in 2009, or else! Nope. (Even though there was never an "or else" by McNair. When you say you expect playoffs, then what good is your expectation if you do nothing to make yourself accountable to your expectation? It rings hollow when he does this stuff and then wusses out in the very end. LOL).

2. Do I "buy" that Kubiak's extension was conceived out of McNair's TRUE BLUE belief that Kubiak is "the" guy? Nope. It's just a safety net in case Kubiak ends up blowing the NFL off its hinges in 2010. He's bought himself nothing more than insurance against the chances that Kubiak hits his bulls-eye with his BB gun. This is the same protectionist attitude he had towards David Carr: Not letting something go because you're afraid he might leave and become a stud somewhere else.

So I have nothing left to think other than this:

Until I see LT in another uniform, I won't believe that this team has ZERO interest in LT. That's McCLain opening the door into his own face and trying to act like he knows, specifically, that they ruled out LT. McClain, IMO, is a bit slow when it comes to the nuances. Great story-teller, though. He's the guy who hangs out and munches on sandwiches and pals around with the team; telling his stories of how he ate sandwiches and played foosball with the guys until 2 .am.

McClain can try and say it. He can try and make the connection between what was said and what McNair and the Texans FO (and Kubiak) might actually be doing behind the scenes right now.

This team doesn't change its stripes easily. It changes at a glacial pace. I don't "buy" that they have fully learned from the Ahman Green experience. I think they practically MUST have LT in some sort of pecking order on their wish list.

To say this team has NO interest is not looking at its history. This is very much the sort of move they'd like to make: Established RB, clean record off the field, stellar leadership on the field, played for TCU, and maybe just needs a new environment.

I have a feeling we're going to grab a free agent RB out of the group that's out there. I have a feeling we will NOT draft a RB before round 3. We'll focus on OL and DL (or DB) in rounds 1 and 2.

The safest thing in the world, for Bob and how he likes to do things, is to grab someone like LT. It looks good. It feels good. It "addresses the problem" and lets the draftniks focus on something other than a high-round RB for rounds 1 and 2.

And there's no way Bob and the front office are going to come right out and say that they are waiting for the day they can talk to LT. It smells like a huge smoke-screen that they carefully laid out so that nobody else would jump in there because they saw the build-up of how much we had him on our list. Just as it would be too strong to say we can't wait to fly him in here and talk to him, it therefore seemed very curious that they would practically say that we no longer allow old dudes on the field anymore.

In almost all cases, although I am against it, this would be a Bob McNair move if ever there was one. He says they go more in the direction of guys who have not hit their peak yet, but LT would be the exception to that rule...and Bob has shown that he makes lots of exceptions to lots of rules.

Kaiser Toro
02-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Seems pretty short sighted to me. In light of the CBA issue, LT could be quite the bargain given the uncertainty in the market. We can't/won't talk to him because McNair made a statement? There is no way they are that stupid. Call it "not the right fit," but not that garbage.

GP
02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Thank you for sharing that blog article.

Can anyone show where the Texans said, specifically, that they are not pursuing LT?

In the blog article of McClain's it just doesn't connect with me what he did in that article.

He is connecting a dot that he alone has decided is there to be connected. He doesn't cite a source. He doesn't even say that someone within the team has said they will not pursue LT.

He just says it himself. As if because someone said this, then it must mean that.

Favre has blown the doors off whether an old dude can come back, even after a miserable year he had with the Jets, and do something special.

GP
02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Seems pretty short sighted to me. In light of the CBA issue, LT could be quite the bargain given the uncertainty in the market. We can't/won't talk to him because McNair made a statement? There is no way they are that stupid. Call it "not the right fit," but not that garbage.

I'm telling you guys, whether you want LT or not...that this smells like a Bob McNair E-Harmony match in heaven.

HoustonFrog
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4936783

"The main thing for me now is to try to win a championship," Tomlinson said to SI. com when asked about the future. "That's my No. 1 goal. That's why I still work hard and train like I do, because I still believe there's a chance of winning that championship. So the next team I go to has to have a chance of winning a title. I can think of a few teams off the top of my head, but that's what my agent is for. I'm sure he's going to do some research, talk to some teams and present some options to me."

The question would be if LT thinks this is a championship team. Not being negative but I am not sure if he would think the Texans are that team. I still think the guy with his lean still can score TDs. Not a guy from the past but he still got it in the endzone last year. Of course look at my avatar for years...maybe I'm just a LT homer :)

PS: Have you seen McClains chats?They answer about 3 questions in 30. He just answers the same ones over and over because he has nothing. One those just happens to be .."LT is old, they have no interest."

theanswer000
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
The Texans organization are idiots if they dont atleast look into it. LT has to consider the Texans we are in his home state. We were a game from going to the playoffs. His agent needs to contact the Texans ASAP. Sign LT and draft a running back in the 2nd or 3rd anyways. None of you guys are going to be complaining when he is getting it in at the goal line.

John McClain does not have that many strong ties with the Texans. He is not in the room when Smithiak and McNair are all talking. He needs to just stop assuming. If your going to say something like that "General" use a strong source.

TexansSeminole
02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Sounds like McClain is just saying that if McNair told the press that they are looking for free agents on their way up then they aren't looking at LT. That's not really proof that they have no interest IMO.

HoustonFrog
02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
ESPN Insider said they don't think the Texans will court him or that they are close enough to be an interest for him.(see my quote above) I'll put the quotes here but with a lionk many won't be able to use because of access I'm not sure it is allowed.

El Tejano
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't think he will want to come to Houston. He's interested in helping a team win a ring, not helping them get to the playoffs.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think he will want to come to Houston. He's interested in helping a team win a ring, not helping them get to the playoffs.

And how does a team get to the Super Bowl?

I think every team's goal is to reach the playoffs first. Once in the show, every team begins 0-0. You've got to get there before you get there....if you know what I mean. :winky:

texanskan
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Westbrook? http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

WWJD
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Westbrook? http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/bloghead/

Goodness. That guy is always hurt.

BIG TORO
02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Westbrook is old too, we need someone young like Jamal charles then I would be happy.

bah007
02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Westbrook is old too, we need someone young like Jamal charles then I would be happy.

Good luck prying him out of KC after the year he just had.

Hervoyel
02-23-2010, 04:14 PM

True. Now if his sole remaining goal in football was to get to 9-7 then I'm certain he'd already have Gary and Rick on speed dial.

Mike Kerns
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Given his choice, LaDainian Tomlinson would sign with Houston. But Texans haven't fared well with veteran backs, so deal there not likely.

Per Adam Schefter's twitter

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
L.T. says he can play four more years
Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2010 5:32 PM ET
In a press conference that was as much about the future as it was about the past, running back LaDainian Tomlinson predicted that he can play pro football for four more years.

Of course, before he plays even one more year, he needs to find a team that will pay him the kind of money he expects -- and that will give him the kind of playing time he thinks he deserves.

Contrary to his prior suggestion that he wants to play for a contender, Tomlinson said, "I don't have to win now," and that he'd be happy to join a team that's on the rise and headed in the right direction.

(For some reason, the Browns came to mind when I heard him say those words.)

This subtle massage to L.T.'s comments from Monday could be an indication that he prefers to be a key player for an up-and-coming team and not a bit player for a championship team. And it's clear that Tomlinson still believes he can play at a high level.

He attributed his decline since winning the MVP award in 2006 to the departure of coach Marty Schottenheimer, which given the arrival of Norv Turner resulted in a shift away from the run. But Tomlinson had only 19 fewer touches in 2007, so we're not sure that the dip was the result of a decision not to give him the ball. Still, L.T. was borderline defiant: "Did I get old the year after I won the MVP? I don't think so."

Tomlinson declined to talk about any of the teams he might have heard from. In our view, however, one thing is clear -- if teams agree that Tomlinson can play for four more years, he won't be on the shelf for four more days.

profootballtalk.com

Thorn
02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't know if it will be LT, but you can lay money on a free agent RB signing before the draft. And who ever it is, it'll be a LONG thread. LOL

theanswer000
02-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Come on Houston step up and sign him!

TexansSeminole
02-25-2010, 12:38 AM
LT is 8th all time in rushing, 2nd all time in rushing touchdowns. This isn't Ahman Green here. Sign the 31 year old and draft a running back high and you've done the best you could IMO.

Mike Kerns
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
It seems like almost everyone BUT John McClain thinks we have interest in LT.

From McClain's twitter:

I keep telling writers Texans have no interest in L.T. Some don't believe me cause they keep hearing it. I tell them not to believe it.

He's been wrong before...who knows...

Texecutioner
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
LT is 8th all time in rushing, 2nd all time in rushing touchdowns. This isn't Ahman Green here. Sign the 31 year old and draft a running back high and you've done the best you could IMO.

This is totally Amaan Green. He's just as worked as green was when we brought him in. Was he better than Green? Sure, but that doesn't matter. He's washed up now and he's most likely got a ton of injuries coming in his future. Haven't people learned that this has already hurt the Texans in past?? You guys want us to continue to make the same mistakes?? I mean, if we get another RB right now first, and then go after LT then fine I'm good with that. But if we get LT right now, then you can forget about Kubes doing anything else for the RB situation and we'd be banking on LT for next year and that would be a huge mistake. Learn from your previous mistakes. Don't repeat them like Kubes has already done.

GuerillaBlack
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
This is totally Amaan Green. He's just as worked as green was when we brought him in. Was he better than Green? Sure, but that doesn't matter. He's washed up now and he's most likely got a ton of injuries coming in his future. Haven't people learned that this has already hurt the Texans in past?? You guys want us to continue to make the same mistakes?? I mean, if we get another RB right now first, and then go after LT then fine I'm good with that. But if we get LT right now, then you can forget about Kubes doing anything else for the RB situation and we'd be banking on LT for next year and that would be a huge mistake. Learn from your previous mistakes. Don't repeat them like Kubes has already done.

I don't think it's Green. Like I've said before, Green was brought in to be our feature back. LT won't. LT would be brought in to bring some veteran leadership and for goalline carries.

NitroGSXR
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't think it's Green. Like I've said before, Green was brought in to be our feature back. LT won't. LT would be brought in to bring some veteran leadership and for goalline carries.

LaDainian Tomlinson seems to sound like he thinks he's got loads in the tank. Not sure if he'd want to share the load. Methinks he wants to be a true feature back. Despite that, I still say sign him and draft RB high. He will not remain a FA for much longer if not the day! He will be snatched up very very soon.

El Tejano
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
All I know is LT as the feature back is not a good deal for us. I don't know about yall but everytime I saw the Chargers play he was on the sideline, away from his helmet with both hands hanging on to the lace area of his shoulder pads.

Too much sideline time = not active for Texans.

GuerillaBlack
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Well if that's what he thinks, let him start. Big deal. It'll be a Sproles situation. Have Foster/Moats/drafted RB come in (assuming Slaton doesn't play this year). If Slaton does play, it'll be a sticky situation with both LT and Slaton probably wanting to start.

The Pencil Neck
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
I just flat out don't think LT has anything left in the tank.

If we bring him in, then he's got to come in knowing that he's fighting for a spot. He's not the premiere guy. He's not even assured of a spot on the team.

With that understanding, I don't expect LT to come here.

Now. I could be wrong and he could be right. He might have several years left in the tank. I'd love for him to come here and earn the starter's role and put up some gaudy rushing numbers. But I think that's just a pipe dream.

I'm not going to be upset if we sign him as long as our coaches aren't expecting much from him. I'm not going to be upset if we don't sign him.

dinkatoid
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=561

Apparently McClain is one of the best beat writers in the business, so there is no way he could be wrong. There is no way we are going after LT, McClain has spoken!

Thorn
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
You know, I'm getting to the point where I wish they'd sign LT just to shut McClain up. LOL