PDA

View Full Version : The Bob McNair appreciation thread

Thorn
02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
After spending what amounts to about a billion dollars so far, I would like to thank you for bringing the NFL back to Houston. Never in a million years will I or anyone else here agree with all your decisions concerning this team, but you have brought us back into the fold and you are not a classless a-hole like our previous owner.

For that, thank you Sir. It is appreciated.

Now go get us a running back. LOL

Grams
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes, I agree.

And a FS, or whatever safety we need.

Showtime100
02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
After spending what amounts to about a billion dollars so far, I would like to thank you for bringing the NFL back to Houston. Never in a million years will I or anyone else here agree with all your decisions concerning this team, but you have brought us back into the fold and you are not a classless a-hole like our previous owner.

If I may add to this, Mr. McNair, don't you and the other greedy owners and the greedy players strike. If you do I will have no alternative other than to conclude what I've always thought.

Vinny
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
If I may add to this, Mr. McNair, don't you and the other greedy owners and the greedy players strike. If you do I will have no alternative other than to conclude what I've always thought.

Owners don't "Strike"....players "strike", and owners "lock out". Right now there is some premature talk of lockouts if they can't agree on how to divide the money and how much projected money there will be to divvy up. I think there is a bigger chance of a lockout than a strike. There is no National radio deal in place and the mega money deal from Sunday Ticket and DirecTV are about to expire. The league has laid off nearly 200 employees this season and the Commish took a 20% pay cut. Lots of stuff to work out since the projected money may not be as good as the last few years.

as far as this thread goes, I'm glad the NFL is back in town. I thank Bob every day I put in my personal time on his web site. I'm not the biggest homer in town, but I appreciate the greater NFL in a big way and glad Mr NcNair made the decision to spend his kagillions on a NFL franchise for Houston.

Malloy
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Old man you disappoint me...

I would have figured you would ask for free beer at the games, not something as elusive as a RB... pft.. ;)

Thorn
02-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Old man you disappoint me...

I would have figured you would ask for free beer at the games, not something as elusive as a RB... pft.. ;)

Free beer is always good! :)

b0ng
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I support Mr McNair in his endeavors and am glad for football being in Houston. Do you know how hard it was to root for a team from a different city?

Joe Texan
02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
You would know the Boneheads would chime in a thread that does not even appeal to them.

Bob, Your are the greatest owner in the NFL and thank you from the bottom of my heart for Bringing The HOUSTON TEXANS to Houston Texas.

Hardcore Texan
02-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Dear Bob, it's been said that you are content with mediocrity, specifically on this MB in another thread. I disagree with that. I don't think you dropped 1 billion just to settle for mediocre. One would think that would be obvious but some need more convincing then others I suppose. Thanks for bringing football to Houston, now let's shut up some of these so called "experts" with a deep run in the playoffs in 2010.

Silver Oak
02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
The 1st 10% of my material thanks is in the mail, but also thank you for more than filling the void left by Fatass Bud when he pulled his circus out of town.

thunderkyss
02-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I want to thank all of you, and all the fans who buy the Texans gear, Tickets, and whatever you do, to support the Texans.

I appreciate the chance McNair took by bringing this franchise to Houston.. but not as much as I appreciate all or you proving him right.

BSofA04
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
You my boy Bob, you my boy!!!

Texans_Chick
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I used to root for a team despite his owner. That owner embarrassed the city with his crass, cheap behavior.

I've heard McNair talk enough to know that he really desires to be a good owner. He really wants to bring Houston a winning team. He wants to be the sort of owner attracts talent.

Lots of peril and mistakes in being a first time sports owner, but I think that his good intentions will eventually pay off.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread and not to the other one because that thread title causes me distress.

Thank you Mr. McNair.

The Pencil Neck
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Bob!

SheTexan
02-08-2010, 09:40 AM
:heart:

Buffi2
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you Mr. McNair for bringing NFL football back to Houston. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.:clap:

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Spend some money to bring us a winner, McNair. Bringing a franchise isn't enough if its never going to win squat.

Spend the money it takes to compete, Bob. No more Weavers and Greenwoods.

b0ng
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Spend some money to bring us a winner, McNair. Bringing a franchise isn't enough if its never going to win squat.

That's the best you could do huh?

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Both expensive mistakes kind of disproving the cheap implication.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Both expensive mistakes kind of disproving the cheap implication.

Not really, icak. They spent money but not enough to get real talent that could actually help and improve the team. You don't go halfway to the store to find something but then see some cheap knockoff on the side of the road and decide to buy it cause its cheaper and you think you can get away with it and no one will notice just because it has a high pricetag. Why spend $8 on something that still sucks when you can spend $12 on something that can actually help you.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
That's the best you could do huh?

What else am I supposed to do? Did you want a rant? Not worth it.

Everyone knows that McNair is happy with .500. He proved it last week when he re-upped Kubiak. He claims .500 isn't good enough but then re-signs the coach with a .500 record. McNair is in it for the money and has little to no interest in doing what it takes to compete at the highest level.

He looks like he is going to be one of the chief orchestrators of a lockout too...because he is not making enough money. its obvious what his priorities are. you don't get to be a billionaire unless you are a greedy prick. i'm not saying he is a greedy prick, but he is a billionaire. connect the dots.

Thorn
02-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Everyone knows that McNair is happy with .500. He proved it last week when he re-upped Kubiak. He claims .500 isn't good enough but then re-signs the coach with a .500 record. McNair is in it for the money and has little to no interest in doing what it takes to compete at the highest level.

He looks like he is going to be one of the chief orchestrators of a lockout too...because he is not making enough money. its obvious what his priorities are. you don't get to be a billionaire unless you are a greedy prick. i'm not saying he is a greedy prick, but he is a billionaire.

I don't believe for a second that McNair is content with a .500 ball club. Maybe he's not making the right decisions, but to do what's he's done for this city AND be content with a .500 ball club just doesn't make sense to me.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't believe for a second that McNair is content with a .500 ball club. Maybe he's not making the right decisions, but to do what's he's done for this city AND be content with a .500 ball club just doesn't make sense to me.

I go by what I have seen not by what he has said.

He has shown me a lot to suggest he is content with .500 when its time to pay the piper. He talks a good game but he has done a lot of penny pinching moves and we have yet to lure a top FA to town. Why? Because he doesn't want to pony up the money it takes.

Why should he? The games still sell out. Some of the fans even think he makes good decisions and are happy with where the team is. The fans fall all over themselves to make a new batch of excuses each year while acting like McNair did charity work by bringing the team to Houston. Gimme a break. Some of the fans even support re-signing a .500 coach. What reason does he have to try and win. Seems like many of the fans are still in parade-mode after this year's 9-7 record.

Bottom line is that he has yet to lure a top FA or a top head coach to the team. He gets 'local legends' and 2nd tier or worse Free Agents while still having to overpay for them.

Until the fans start showing that they demand a winner and start showing Bob with their pocketbook, we will continue to be a mediocre team that does just enough not to embarass themselves.

Bob McNair needs to show the fans he appreciates us. Not the other way around....I'm still waiting.

Tailgate
02-08-2010, 11:11 AM

He looks like he is going to be one of the chief orchestrators of a lockout too...because he is not making enough money. its obvious what his priorities are. you don't get to be a billionaire unless you are a greedy prick. i'm not saying he is a greedy prick, but he is a billionaire.

Wow. What a hole you are digging for yourself.

HOU-TEX
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM

He has shown me a lot to suggest he is content with .500 when its time to pay the piper. He talks a good game but he has done a lot of penny pinching moves and we have yet to lure a top FA to town. Why? Because he doesn't want to pony up the money.

The games still sell out. Some of the fans even think he makes good decisions and are happy with where the team is. Some of the fans even support re-signing a .500 coach. What reason does he have to try and win. Seems like many of the fans are still in parade-mode after this year's 9-7 record.

Bottom line is that he has yet to lure a top FA or a top head coach to the team. He gets 'local legends' and 2nd tier or worse Free Agents while still having to overpay for them.

Until the fans start showing that they demand a winner and start showing Bob with their pocketbook, we will continue to be a mediocre team that does just enough not to embarass themselves.

Bob McNair needs to show the fans he appreciates us. Not the other way around....I'm still waiting.

Dude, you've got at least two threads to piss and whine in. I would assume Thorn started this thread to achieve something on a positive note.

You've been pissin and whinin since this team's inception, "Doug". Some of us remember your knee-jerk calls to 610.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Dude, you've got at least two threads to piss and whine in. I would assume Thorn started this thread to achieve something on a positive note.

You've been pissin and whinin since this team's inception, "Doug". Some of us remember your knee-jerk calls to 610.

you must have me mistaken with someone else. i don't listen to 610 much less call them.

but yeah, i really appreciate Mr.McNair bringin a losing franchise to town. After all he did it for charity....fuunny thing is some people actually believe that. it's not charity its business. if anything is a charity, its us fans giving McNair top money while he fields such a mediocre product.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Dumpster v2.0?

SheTexan
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
its us fans giving McNair top money while he fields such a mediocre product.

Well SH! I don't think anyone from the Texan organization is FORCING you to write a check, hand over a credit card, or plunk down cold hard cash! It's an ELECTIVE sport. No one makes you do anything you don't want to do. I'm sure there are other football franchises out there that would not cause you so much stress, and are not mediocre. Hummmmm!! Just how long did it take the MEDIOCRE Saints to reach the SB???

HOU-TEX
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
you must have me mistaken with someone else. i don't listen to 610 much less call them.

but yeah, i really appreciate Mr.McNair bringin a losing franchise to town. After all he did it for charity....fuunny thing is some people actually believe that. it's not charity its business. if anything is a charity, its us fans giving McNair top money while he fields such a mediocre product.

I beleive it was you considering you refer to yourself as "Doug from the Woodlands". It was a few years ago, but my point is, you've got threads to voice your disdain towards the team. Why screw up another thread?

And before you call me one of your cute little sheeple names, I'm in neither of the Sunshine club or the Soapers club.

Dumpster v2.0?

That's for dadgum sure!

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Wow. What a hole you are digging for yourself.

how is telling the truth and being realistic, digging a hole.

i would think its the other way around.

Silver Oak
02-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Well SH! I don't think anyone from the Texan organization is FORCING you to write a check, hand over a credit card, or plunk down cold hard cash! It's an ELECTIVE sport. No one makes you do anything you don't want to do.

this.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Well SH! I don't think anyone from the Texan organization is FORCING you to write a check, hand over a credit card, or plunk down cold hard cash! It's an ELECTIVE sport. No one makes you do anything you don't want to do. I'm sure there are other football franchises out there that would not cause you so much stress, and are not mediocre. Hummmmm!! Just how long did it take the MEDIOCRE Saints to reach the SB???

the Saints haven't been mediocre lately, She. 2 NFC Conference Championships in 4 years and a Super Bowl win isn't mediocre.

they also addressed their holes at both talent and coaching level and fixed the product....and guess what? they won. maybe we should try and do the same and stop nickel and diming our fixes.

anyways, we all agree to disagree. yall are happy with the product. i am not. and i sure as hell am not going to show a billionaire my appreciation for bringing a team to Houston. It's not like he donated the money. he invested it and he is making money off of it...all the while, not putting the best product on the field. yall are happy with that, i am not. no big deal. different opinion.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
how is telling the truth and being realistic, digging a hole.

i would think its the other way around.

"What we’ve got here is 'failure to communicate'. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men"

truth  /truθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [trooth] ,
–noun, plural truths  /truđz, truθs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [troothz, trooths]
1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.
6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
8. (often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
9. agreement with a standard or original.
10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
11. Archaic. fidelity or constancy.

—Idiom12. in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.

opinion  /əˈpɪnyən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-pin-yuhn] –noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Bad opinion
1. Any post by Second Honeymoon

HOU-TEX
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
the Saints haven't been mediocre lately, She. 2 NFC Conference Championships in 4 years and a Super Bowl win isn't mediocre.

they also addressed their holes at both talent and coaching level and fixed the product....and guess what? they won. maybe we should try and do the same and stop nickel and diming our fixes.

anyways, we all agree to disagree. yall are happy with the product. i am not. and i sure as hell am not going to show a billionaire my appreciation for bringing a team to Houston. It's not like he donated the money. he invested it and he is making money off of it...all the while, not putting the best product on the field. yall are happy with that, i am not. no big deal. different opinion.

See, this is where you paint with such a broad brush. I, like many others, am NOT happy with the product. I expected much more this season and we failed. Most of us can discuss the good and bad about the organization without all the poor logic and knee-jerk type posts.

BigBull17
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM

He has shown me a lot to suggest he is content with .500 when its time to pay the piper. He talks a good game but he has done a lot of penny pinching moves and we have yet to lure a top FA to town. Why? Because he doesn't want to pony up the money it takes.

Why should he? The games still sell out. Some of the fans even think he makes good decisions and are happy with where the team is. The fans fall all over themselves to make a new batch of excuses each year while acting like McNair did charity work by bringing the team to Houston. Gimme a break. Some of the fans even support re-signing a .500 coach. What reason does he have to try and win. Seems like many of the fans are still in parade-mode after this year's 9-7 record.

If the bolded was the case, he would'nt have passed on a "local legend" a few years ago. I don't buy that he wants to just be average. BTW, the teams who throw the crazy jack around don't win a ****ing thing.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
"What we’ve got here is 'failure to communicate'. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men"

yawn. thats a lot of copying and pasting for nothin'.

the truth is that the product is mediocre. .500 is by definition mediocre. if you go by the whole canvas of Texans history its even below .500. but go have a parade for your boy, Kubiak.

.500 being mediocre isn't an opinion, its a fact. period. end of story. an opinion would be that 'mcnair hasn't spent enough money to bring a winner to town'. you can argue with that opinion, but the Texans under Kubiak have been, by definition, mediocre. the Texans as a whole 2002-2010 have been below mediocre. those are facts.

sorry that my posts aren't lollipops and rainbows, TB. at least i am not the only one who feels the way i do, and the people that share my feelings are generally the more informed and realistic posters on this forum (opinion).

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
If the bolded was the case, he would'nt have passed on a "local legend" a few years ago. I don't buy that he wants to just be average. BTW, the teams who throw the crazy jack around don't win a ****ing thing.

its not about throwing around crazy jack. its about not nickel and diming fixes.

DeMarCushPoll
02-08-2010, 11:56 AM

He looks like he is going to be one of the chief orchestrators of a lockout too...because he is not making enough money. its obvious what his priorities are. you don't get to be a billionaire unless you are a greedy prick. i'm not saying he is a greedy prick, but he is a billionaire. connect the dots.

I've been reading your comments over the past few weeks and I have yet to read one positive thing from you about this orginization. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have to ask, do you consider yourself a Texans fan at all? If this is how you are toward a team you like, then I can't emagine what you'd say about a team that you don't like. You bash our team worse than most die-hard cowboy fans do. Just wonderin?

steelbtexan
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bob for bringing the team to town.

I would appreciate it if you spent some money to attract top FA's. So the Texans dont look so Oileresque.

Is Bud your cousin?

SH great line about billionaires, funny only because it's true.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM

the truth is that the product is mediocre. .500 is by definition mediocre. if you go by the whole canvas of Texans history its even below .500. but go have a parade for your boy, Kubiak.

that isn't an opinion, its a fact. an opinion would be that mcnair hasn't spent enough money to bring a winner to town. you can argue with that opinion, but the Texans under have been, by definition, mediocre. the Texans as a whole 2002-2010 have been below mediocre. those are facts.

sorry that my posts aren't lollipops and rainbows, TB. at least i am not the only one who feels the way i do, and the people that share my feelings are generally the more informed and realistic posters on this forum (opinion).

Well you responded with 4 paragraphs of typical drivel..

I have no problems with honest, well thought out critiques of my team. What I find boring, tired and old are rants where people try to pass off their opinion as though it's some kind of fact. You're not the smartest bear in the room albeit contrary to your own over-inflated ego and opinion of yourself.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I've been reading your comments over the past few weeks and I have yet to read one positive thing from you about this orginization. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I have to ask, do you consider yourself a Texans fan at all? If this is how you are toward a team you like, then I can't emagine what you'd say about a team that you don't like. You bash our team worse than most die-hard cowboy fans do. Just wonderin?

Cowboys fans don't bash the Texans. Other way around. Pokes fans could care less about the Texans. You see, their rivals are the Eagles, Skins, and Giants. Some Houston fans delude themselves enough to feel there is a Cowboys-Txans rivalry but there isn't. A rivalry has to work both ways, and at this point its hate on one side and apathy on the other. Not a rivalry unless it goes both ways. Just sayin.

I am a Texans season ticket holder and a huge fan of the Texans since Day One. I helped pay for the stadium they play in and my name is actually on the glass in tribute (along with a few thousand others). I put my money and my time where my mouth is. I have been a poster on this forum since 2003. I think its fair to call me a fan. Sorry if I am not Mr.Sunshine when our team keeps rewarding mediocrity and/or failure. I want wins and I want our organization to spare no expense and to leave no stone unturned to make it happen. The Saints were 3-13 the same year we were 2-14. They have 2 NFC CHampionship appearances and a Super Bowl ring. We have nothing but a flatlining .500 coach who just got re-upped based on comparing him around the league. They actually said that. What a joke.

I say plenty positive...when its justified. Huge Schaub guy even when it was fashionable to call him a china doll. Love the work Kubiak/Lil'Shanny did with our passing game. Bush did better than I expected after being promoted from within on such a failure of a defensive coaching staff. AJ is AJ. Cushing played great and played through pain.

One thing I am not going to do is act like things are great and that we are on the precupice of greatness. This team has a long way to go and personally, I don't think Kubiak is capable of taking this team to the playoffs much less a championship. Because of that, I wonder why we extended him when he has a .500 record.

I am not asking for the moon. I am not unreasonable but I'll be damned if I sit by and act like everything is just hunky-dorey and that McNair is doing everything he can to field a winner....because he simply is not.

I will say one thing, I understand his trepidation at making a big expensive splash in coaching when we have a 2011 lockout staring us in the face. I am sure the coaches get paid even if there isn't a season. I am sure paying $10 million to Cowher for a season that never will be sounds a lot worse than paying good ole Gary $2 million to do the same.

I just think we deserve better than .500....and I hope I am not alone in that sentiment.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Well you responded with 4 paragraphs of typical drivel..

I have no problems with honest, well thought out critiques of my team. What I find boring, tired and old are rants where people try to pass off their opinion as though it's some kind of fact. You're not the smartest bear in the room albeit contrary to your own over-inflated ego and opinion of yourself.

.500 is mediocre. notice the root of the word 'medi' as in median. It's called Latin.

that isn't opinion and it isn't a rant. mediocre is .500. .500 is mediocre.

we re-signed a mediocre coach. He has won exactly half the games he has coached for us. i don't know what you are going by, but it sure isn't his coaching record. i guess cause he is local and an Aggie and is so niiiiice, he gets a free pass, huh? did i mention that he is local?

whatever, make me out to be the bad guy for feeling that rewarding mediocrity is unnecessary and counterproductive. trust me, i haven't lost sleep in the past for being labeled a hater and then being vindicated and I wont this time either.

The soap stays.

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
.500 is mediocre. notice the root of the word 'medi' as in median.

that isn't opinion and it isn't a rant.

we re-signed a mediocre coach. He has one exactly half the games he has coached for us. i don't know what you are going by, but it sure isn't his coaching record. i guess cause he is local and an Aggie and is so niiiiice, he gets a free pass, huh?

whatever, make me out to be the bad guy for feeling that rewarding mediocrity is unecessary and counterproductive. go throw another parade.

Who went .500?

We re-signed an excellent coach. See how that works??

You're not the bad guy, you're just obtuse and somewhat hypocritical. You keep talking about rewarding mediocrity, well why do you reward the Texans with your yearly check each season??

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Who went .500?

We re-signed an excellent coach. See how that works??

You're not the bad guy, you're just obtuse and somewhat hypocritical. You keep talking about rewarding mediocrity, well why do you reward the Texans with your yearly check each season??

so a .500 coach is an excellent head coach. hmm, interesting math but ok.

as for paying my season ticket invoice, the PSL investment and the value of spending quality time with my brother and dad are what keeps me coming back amidst mediocrity and braindead decisions. For what its worth, I haven't sent off the payment this year and other than 2006 when we gave Carr the maximum team option extension, I haven't been this close to giving up my seats. I'll probably pay but re-signing a .500 coach the day before the notice came in mail didn't make the decision very easy. Very tacky.

The team wasn't embarassing this year, but the extension was unnecessary. if .500 isn't good enough (and McNair said it wasn't) then why do you extend the guy? I think its all about the lameduck 2011 season more than a lameduck head coach in 2010....but thats just me.

DeMarCushPoll
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Cowboys fans don't bash the Texans. Other way around. Pokes fans could care less about the Texans. You see, their rivals are the Eagles, Skins, and Giants. Some Houston fans delude themselves enough to feel there is a Cowboys-Txans rivalry but there isn't. A rivalry has to work both ways, and at this point its hate on one side and apathy on the other. Not a rivalry unless it goes both ways. Just sayin.

I am a Texans season ticket holder and a huge fan of the Texans since Day One. I helped pay for the stadium they play in and my name is actually on the glass in tribute (along with a few thousand others). I put my money and my time where my mouth is. I have been a poster on this forum since 2003. I think its fair to call me a fan. Sorry if I am not Mr.Sunshine when our team keeps rewarding mediocrity and/or failure. I want wins and I want our organization to spare no expense and to leave no stone unturned to make it happen. The Saints were 3-13 the same year we were 2-14. They have 2 NFC CHampionship appearances and a Super Bowl ring. We have nothing but a flatlining .500 coach who just got re-upped based on comparing him around the league. They actually said that. What a joke.

I say plenty positive...when its justified. Huge Schaub guy even when it was fashionable to call him a china doll. Love the work Kubiak/Lil'Shanny did with our passing game. Bush did better than I expected after being promoted from within on such a failure of a defensive coaching staff. AJ is AJ. Cushing played great and played through pain.

One thing I am not going to do is act like things are great and that we are on the precupice of greatness. This team has a long way to go and personally, I don't think Kubiak is capable of taking this team to the playoffs much less a championship. Because of that, I wonder why we extended him when he has a .500 record.

I am not asking for the moon. I am not unreasonable but I'll be damned if I sit by and act like everything is just hunky-dorey and that McNair is doing everything he can to field a winner....because he simply is not.

I will say one thing, I understand his trepidation at making a big expensive splash in coaching when we have a 2011 lockout staring us in the face. I am sure the coaches get paid even if there isn't a season. I am sure paying $10 million to Cowher for a season that never will be sounds a lot worse than paying good ole Gary $2 million to do the same.

I just think we deserve better than .500....and I hope I am not alone in that sentiment.

You're not alone when it comes to wanting this team to be more succesful, I think we all share a common interest in that goal. But, you seem to say the same things every time you post, no matter what the thread title or subject matter is. I also think you like the word "mediocrity".

Thorn
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
So I guess every single thread from here on out has to be about how Kubiac sucks and McNair sucks and the Texans suck. How depressing if that's true.

DeMarCushPoll
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM

as for paying my season ticket invoice, the PSL investment and the value of spending quality time with my brother and dad are what keeps me coming back amidst mediocrity and braindead decisions. For what its worth, I haven't sent off the payment this year and other than 2006 when we gave Carr the maximum team option extension, I haven't been this close to giving up my seats. I'll probably pay but re-signing a .500 coach the day before the notice came in mail didn't make the decision very easy. Very tacky.

The team wasn't embarassing this year, but the extension was unnecessary. if .500 isn't good enough (and McNair said it wasn't) then why do you extend the guy? I think its all about the lameduck 2011 season more than a lameduck head coach in 2010....but thats just me.

Do you know the definition of Lame-duck?

Texan_Bill
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM

There are many coaches that hover around .500 or slightly above .500 including one of your saviors, Jeff Fisher.

As long as you can justify rewarding the Texans, I could care less why you pay for them.

You (McNair) extend the guy because while you are a little disappointed in the season, you believe the coach has your team heading in the right direction. I thought that anyone could reasonably deduce that.

Malloy
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM

.500 being mediocre isn't an opinion, its a fact. period. end of story. an opinion would be that 'mcnair hasn't spent enough money to bring a winner to town'. you can argue with that opinion, but the Texans under Kubiak have been, by definition, mediocre. the Texans as a whole 2002-2010 have been below mediocre. those are facts.

And you wondered why I negative repped you. It's nonsense like that that did it...

I absolutely hate when someone tried to force their opinions by ridiculing others and stating their own views as 'facts'... If I want absolute arguments I'll go to church, I go to TT.com to engage in well-informed civilized exchanges of opinions in a objective manner.

steelbtexan
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
The Texans were horrible.

Now they are medicore.

If McNair says its all about the playoffs and the Texans dont make the playoffs what does that say about McNairs leadership abilities?

Does he really care?

Why should he care?

Wolf
02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Maybe Bob can have a battle red day"Thorn in your side night" on a night game where there can be 2 dollar beers :joker: :tease:

steelbtexan
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
And you wondered why I negative repped you. It's nonsense like that that did it...

I absolutely hate when someone tried to force their opinions by ridiculing others and stating their own views as 'facts'... If I want absolute arguments I'll go to church, I go to TT.com to engage in well-informed civilized exchanges of opinions in a objective manner.

I didn't get SH forcing his opinion on anybody.

Maybe you just feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel that way.

There are two absolute facts the Texans record the last 4 years is medicore. The other is your idea and my idea of absolutes are two entirely different things. You're the KING of the neg. rep.

Congradulations you have received the 1st neg rep I've ever given.

devo-x
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Texans finished OVER .500 this season

9-7 (Texans) > 8-8 (Titans)

thunderkyss
02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
He claims .500 isn't good enough but then re-signs the coach with a .500 record. McNair is in it for the money and has little to no interest in doing what it takes to compete at the highest level.

He's got one of the top offenses in the NFL..... & the makings of one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Let me start over.

4 years ago, our offense was crap, and our defense was worse.

Now... we are playing in the same league with the good teams... 17 teams finished with a worse record than we did, only 10 teams finished with a better W-L.

I think maybe McNair sees a trend that eludes you. :thinking:

imatexan
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
The Texans were horrible.

Now they are medicore.

If McNair says its all about the playoffs and the Texans dont make the playoffs what does that say about McNairs leadership abilities?

Does he really care?

Why should he care?

They are a winning football team now actually.

He does care, he has always cared and I bet he will never stop caring about the city of Houston and the Texans.

Thanks Bob for everything you have done, your hard work and money will pay off one day soon!

Double Barrel
02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
The Bob McNair appreciation thread

It's a simple concept. :thinking:

I appreciate Bob McNair because...

1) He invested in Houston and brought the NFL back to our city.

2) We already knew what an egotistical ass of an owner was like, so McNair is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

3) He did not implement a policy that prevented tailgating in order to maximize his profits.

And I think he wants to win, just as much or more than we do. While I might not agree with every decision that he's made, I still think his decisions are based upon what he perceives as the best course for success.

As far as making money, let's be honest. The NFL is an entertainment business at the end of the day, and the profit-motive is what has made the league strong and one of the best in the world. It is simpleton to not understand this basic premise, simply because why would they bother if they were losing money every year?

And while there are plenty of threads to criticize and air grievances, this thread is specifically titled "The Bob McNair appreciation thread", so if ya' got nothing, then just don't click on it.

infantrycak
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
And I think he wants to win, just as much or more than we do. While I might not agree with every decision that he's made, I still think his decisions are based upon what he perceives as the best course for success.

Thank you. Just because you disagree with someone else's decision doesn't mean they have ill intent.

I just like this smilie - :ant:

Thorn
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you DB. I'd rep you if I could. And thanks to everyone who posted a positive comment in here. It's true we don't agree with all his actions so far, but at least we have an NFL team now. And one that appears to be improving.

Wolf
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I can appreciate that Bob is not Daniel Snyder and the way he opperates

Texans_Chick
02-08-2010, 06:40 PM

2) We already knew what an egotistical ass of an owner was like, so McNair is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

3) He did not implement a policy that prevented tailgating in order to maximize his profits.

As far as making money, let's be honest. The NFL is an entertainment business at the end of the day, and the profit-motive is what has made the league strong and one of the best in the world. It is simpleton to not understand this basic premise, simply because why would they bother if they were losing money every year?

And while there are plenty of threads to criticize and air grievances, this thread is specifically titled "The Bob McNair appreciation thread", so if ya' got nothing, then just don't click on it.

Winner!!!:fans:

Brisco_County
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
The Saints were 3-13 the same year we were 2-14. They have 2 NFC CHampionship appearances and a Super Bowl ring. We have nothing but a flatlining .500 coach who just got re-upped based on comparing him around the league. They actually said that. What a joke.

I have to explain this so much that I'm thinking about making it my signature...

Casserly was a tragically bad GM. The Texans had to rebuild the entire team over four years. The Saints did not.

Second Honeymoon
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I have to explain this so much that I'm thinking about making it my signature...

Casserly was a tragically bad GM. The Texans had to rebuild the entire team over four years. The Saints did not.

The Saints had to rebuild their entire team as well. You can explain it all you want, but the fact is both teams sucked and both teams were lacking in talent. Look at the current Saints team. Who is on it from the 3-13 team? yeah, thats right. practically nobody. Will Smith I think was on the 3-13 team and maybe Jamaal Brown if he is still on their team. They overhauled their total squad on both sides of the ball. What makes Kubiak so special that he gets a free pass?

I am perfectly aware Casserley was a horrible GM and that the roster was anemic as far as talent goes, but so was the Saints roster. Equally anemic. They just didn't need 4 years to turn things around. Their coach got the job done and the team turned around in his first year. We are still waiting for our coach to get the job done and turn things around. We are .500 under Kubiak. Saints have 2 NFC Championship berths, 5 playoff wins, and a championship during that same time.

The Saints winning hopefully puts some pressure on McNair/Kubiak and show them that it doesnt take a decade to turn things around and build a winner. Plus I have seen a lot of Saints gear around town and McNair better keep things in an upward trend because I could see a gradual migration by some fans to the Saints. None of us on this board, we are hardcore fans, but some of the casual fans could migrate to Saints fans and that would affect McNair's bottom line and maybe he will get off his ass and do something then and commit the franchise to winning...not just mediocrity.

infantrycak
02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
The Saints had to rebuild their entire team as well.

They have changed out a majority of their roster. The entire NFL does over a 4 year time span. But they were not near as bad a team. Prior to Katrina the Saints had been on the cusp for years. In fact they were more analogous to the Texans now having had prior seasons of 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 with the perception the coaching was underachieving.

People don't like the Fisher comparison to Kubiak and the reason commonly cited is they were moving. Well guess what happened that made the Saints into a 3-13 team? Can't have it both ways.

Second Honeymoon
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
They have changed out a majority of their roster. The entire NFL does over a 4 year time span. But they were not near as bad a team. Prior to Katrina the Saints had been on the cusp for years. In fact they were more analogous to the Texans now having had prior seasons of 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 with the perception the coaching was underachieving.

People don't like the Fisher comparison to Kubiak and the reason commonly cited is they were moving. Well guess what happened that made the Saints into a 3-13 team? Can't have it both ways.

no they werent as bad, they were one win better. they still didn't have a QB though and there are few players, if any, remaining on the Saints from that 3-13 team.

i do think its a fair point about Fisher's Oilers/Titans teams having similiar adversity to the Saints/Katrina team. Although a fair point, that Saints team had little talent on it and no more talent than the Texans pre-2006. Obviously Brees v. Carr in 2006 was a huge difference but that can't just be excused as fate. That is Kubiak and McNair's fault.

My point is both teams sucked in 2005 season. One team made changes and got better almost overnight. Why? Because they made better personnel decisions (specifically at QB in 2006) and their coach is obviously a better head coach, hired better assistants and not just his friends, and instilled a winning attitude and their teams played with much more heart and passion....something Texans teams have been short on under Kubiak.

Hopefully our QB change in 2007 will continue to pay dividends and maybe one day our division won't be as brutal. maybe Peyton choking in the SB may give their team some doubts going into 2010's season. I just want that guy to get it over with and retire. I am sick of seeing him own our division year after year after year.

DeMarCushPoll
02-09-2010, 11:50 AM
no they werent as bad, they were one win better. they still didn't have a QB though and there are few players, if any, remaining on the Saints from that 3-13 team.

There are 14 players on the Saints roster that were there when Payton took over the team.

There are 3 players on the Texans roster that were there when Kub took over and one of those is the kicker and one was on IR most all of the 2009 season.

JB
02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
There are 14 players on the Saints roster that were there when Payton took over the team.

There are 3 players on the Texans roster that were there when Kub took over and one of those is the kicker and one was on IR most all of the 2009 season.

AJ
Dunta
Pitts
KB

New math???

Second Honeymoon
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM

we have 4 starters from the pre-kubiak era. how many of the 14 you claim are starters? 2 maybe 3?

you can crunch the numbers any way you want but the fact is that there was massive turnover on both starting lineups....and the turnover was needed on both teams because both teams stunk in 2005. Both teams had excuses for sucking and one disaster was Katrina and the other disaster was Carr.

DeMarCushPoll
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
AJ
Dunta
Pitts
KB

New math???

I meant 4 players on the Texans, sorry.

Grams
02-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Think a little reminder is needed?

DeMarCushPoll
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
we have 4 starters from the pre-kubiak era. how many of the 14 you claim are starters? 2 maybe 3?

you can crunch the numbers any way you want but the fact is that there was massive turnover on both starting lineups....and the turnover was needed on both teams because both teams stunk in 2005. Both teams had excuses for sucking and one disaster was Katrina and the other disaster was Carr.

What difference does it make if they are starters or not? Depth counts for something too. That's 10 less players they had to use draft picks on.

Thorn
02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Think a little reminder is needed?

Thorn's First Law of Internet Dynamics: Any thread that reaches five pages will have changed subjects twice.

Thorn's Second Law of Internet Dynamics: Good and Evil are the same thing on the Internet.

Thorn's Third Law of Internet Dynamics: There are no laws governing the Internet

infantrycak
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Although a fair point, that Saints team had little talent on it and no more talent than the Texans pre-2006. Obviously Brees v. Carr in 2006 was a huge difference but that can't just be excused as fate. That is Kubiak and McNair's fault.

Well I just disagree. That Saints team was in exactly the position the Texans are now - being talked about as on the cusp. Then they had the horrible season when they were on the road plus let's not forget their RB went down and Haslett got canned for underachieving despite that. They expected playoffs that year. That isn't even close to the situation the Texans were in. Yes a lot of the team has turned over now but the reason for Payton's instant success and playoff appearance in the first year was the team was with the addition of a real QB that good.

DeMarCushPoll
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

If the Texans were to go 11-5/12-4 this year and make the playoffs, does that make the pink soap go away? Would that change your opinion about the current regime?

I don't know what your expectations were for this team going in to last season, but they wound up right about where I thought they'd be. Going in I felt like they were still one more year away. The only thing I was dissapointed in was the devision record. With a productive draft and a few free agents, I really feel like they will make the playoffs and greatly improve the ever-so-tough devision record. IMO

thunderkyss
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM

their first play-off victory by beating the St Louis Rams... the greatest show on turf... in 2000 I believe.

In 2000, they went 10-6. after Ditka went 3-13 the year before. They then finished 7-9 in 2001, 9-7 in 2002. Both times missing the play-offs. In 2003 & 2004, they finished 8-8. In 2005, the Saints finished 3-13 once again, never playing a home game in their home stadium thanks to Hurricane Katrina.

That 2005 roster included players like Jamal Brown(actually, I think the whole 2006 OL was Hasslette's except the center), Devery Henderson, Duece McAllister, Joe Horn, Will Smith, Darren Howard, I think both starting corners, and a safety (I can't remember their names).

Guys like Duece McAllister & Joe Horn aren't on that team now, but it's not like they weren't talented. They were also very big parts of their 2006 NFC Championship run.

For the most part, I don't think the Saints have been getting much out of their early draft picks, with the exception of maybe Malcom Jenkins.

At the same time, they've been hitting jackpots with their free Agents.

Texans_Chick
02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I just disagree. That Saints team was in exactly the position the Texans are now - being talked about as on the cusp. Then they had the horrible season when they were on the road plus let's not forget their RB went down and Haslett got canned for underachieving despite that. They expected playoffs that year. That isn't even close to the situation the Texans were in. Yes a lot of the team has turned over now but the reason for Payton's instant success and playoff appearance in the first year was the team was with the addition of a real QB that good.

Payton was very fortunate that Brees' throwing shoulder was good--it was actually in worse condition than what was reported originally. It wasn't a foregone conclusion in 2006 that Brees was going to be fine. That this particular decision turned out to be the correct one was great fortune for them.

For anyone to say that prospectively, the Brees decision was a no-brainer wasn't paying attention to what was being said about his condition at the time.

Once you have your QB in place, it is much easier to build the rest of the team.

And yeah, Kubiak was misled by the whole Casserly/Reeves thing saying that "Carr wasn't the problem." Once Kubiak got working with him, it became evident to them pretty early that Carr was limited, and he bailed on him.

I'm actually more impressed with Kubiak's work with Schaub than Payton's work with Brees. Brees was already a pretty impressive QB but for that shoulder thing.

HoustonFrog
02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Payton was very fortunate that Brees' throwing shoulder was good--it was actually in worse condition than what was reported originally. It wasn't a foregone conclusion in 2006 that Brees was going to be fine. That this particular decision turned out to be the correct one was great fortune for them.

For anyone to say that prospectively, the Brees decision was a no-brainer wasn't paying attention to what was being said about his condition at the time.

Once you have your QB in place, it is much easier to build the rest of the team.

And yeah, Kubiak was misled by the whole Casserly/Reeves thing saying that "Carr wasn't the problem." Once Kubiak got working with him, it became evident to them pretty early that Carr was limited, and he bailed on him.

I'm actually more impressed with Kubiak's work with Schaub than Payton's work with Brees. Brees was already a pretty impressive QB but for that shoulder thing.

Agree. They took the right chance and got lucky with Brees...From King

c. Kudos, too, to Chris Mortensen, for his terrific job with Dr. James Andrews on Drew Brees' revolutionary shoulder surgery in 2006. Mort, with Andrews, saw the MRI of Brees' ruined shoulder, and Andrews said the damage from the injury suffered in the last game of the 2005 season with San Diego was so severe that there was a 360-degree tear of the labrum -- basically, that it was torn from the bone -- and that the bone broke through the skin from underneath the shoulder. Gruesome, and very valuable to know how great the surgery was ... and how incredible it was that Brees even played football in 2006.

Of course each team has docs that can look at how it is healing and then get a feel for it. Miami still passed and one GM went on gut...from the same article:

Dolphins fans must be puking this morning. On their own field, the player Nick Saban and Miami doctors passed on outdueled the great Manning to win the Super Bowl. "You just had to know Drew to know he was going to be OK, even when a lot of doctors questioned him,'' said GM Mickey Loomis.

infantrycak
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM

I didn't post it but within the last week when this subject came up I googled (now an official verb) Brees and a report from the time was he had a 25% chance of ever playing football again. Now that may be an overstatement. I'm not a doc but very lucky for the Saints that first off the Chargers were discontented with Brees to begin with and the injury situation worked out.

Tailgate
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Yup. The Texans were ranked 30th on Offense and 31st on D that year. Only the 49ers can lay claim to being as pathetic as we were. Yet, even they beat us in what is now the legendary "Bush Bowl."

Big Lou
02-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Thorn's First Law of Internet Dynamics: Any thread that reaches five pages will have changed subjects twice.

Thorn's Second Law of Internet Dynamics: Good and Evil are the same thing on the Internet.

Thorn's Third Law of Internet Dynamics: There are no laws governing the Internet

Going back to the original intent of the thread. I'm glad to have Bob McNair as an owner, winning is the most important thing in the Pro's but it's pretty damn nice to have high character guys on the squad. It's always said that McNair won't allow certain guys, and if that's true I have a lot of respect for that.

I moved to Vegas in 94 and began my career working seven days a week. The Oilers were almost dead to me when the move was announced after all of Bud's BS, so I stopped following the Pros. However when 2000 rolled around and the the team was awarded to Houston I was a fan for life.

My only issue with McNair is, what the hell was he thinking? Hockey, I'm glad he wasn't awared a team by the NHL because we got him and the 32nd team in the NFL. The rest his history!!!!

Thank you Bob!!!!!

TexansFanatic
02-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Great post and great thread, Thorn.

I agree with everything you said.

We owe Bob big just for bringing pro football to Houston again.

We should be especially thankful that Bob carries himself with class and, by all accounts, is a decent human being (unlike the piece of trash who picked up his marbles and took them off to hillbilly land).

And, yes, the running back thing definitely needs to be addressed---for the love of God, Bob, get us a running back!

GlassHalfFull
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this. So found an old one to bump. I was reading the chron today, and found this. It just struck me as funny. The article is about Houston Billionaires. Note the last two on the list and how they make their money.
\:ahhaha:

· No. 290: Bob McNair ($1.4 billion) Source: Energy, sports
· No. 356: Bud Adams ($1.15 billion) Source: Oil

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7213355.html)