PDA

View Full Version : Payne coming back to Houston

texanfan2002114
03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
according to www.houstonprofootball.com

Texans Bringing Back the Payne!

Seth Payne and Kiefer Sutherland both know just how much can change in 24 hours.

After conversations on Tuesday between the Texans and the agent for Payne produced no agreement, the defensive tackle was planning trips to several destinations, including Cleveland and New Orleans among others, to find employment elsewhere.

All that changed Wednesday afternoon though, as Payne agreed to a new four-year contract with the Texans. According to ESPN.com, the agreement will be worth a total $16 million, including a $4.5 million bonus. The webiste claims Payne might have been spurred to sign the deal after learning the Texans were near a deal with former Bills nose tackle Pat Williams.

Payne, 30, is recovering from surgery to repair two hamstrings, and while he is expected to be ready for the 2005 season, his risk for future injury may have been a deterrent for the Texans to offer him a contract earlier. Following a valiant return to the playing field last year after multiple knee surgeries, Payne contributed 51 tackles and 2 sacks to a strengthing Texan defense.

Tailgate
03-02-2005, 08:44 PM
If this is true... then how about a FULL FREAKING SEASON from this guy. We are such a better team with him healthy and full force. Lets see it this year.

ThaShark316
03-02-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't know why I'm feeling iffy about Payne coming back...hopefully he's healthy. :thumbup

Grid
03-02-2005, 08:52 PM
4 frickin million per year. oi-vay.

If we sign dayne then that will be our free agency splash. WOOO WE GOT STACY MACK part II!

Tailgate
03-02-2005, 08:56 PM

If we sign dayne then that will be our free agency splash. WOOO WE GOT STACY MACK part II!

I can swallow the 4 million thing if Payne stays HEALTHY all year. BTW.. does anyone know what type of recovery he is looking at for the Hamstring injury? Ready for mini camp? Training camp? Reg Season?

I also see ZERO reason to sign Ron Dayne. We got enough running backs. Lets keep focusing on the trenches... and maybe a wr..Kevin Johnson if we can get a good deal.

infantrycak
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
BTW.. does anyone know what type of recovery he is looking at for the Hamstring injury? Ready for mini camp? Training camp? Reg Season?

Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.

Tailgate
03-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Gary Walker had the same surgery after the completion of his 2001 season and recovered to have a pro-bowl 2002 season.

Wow. Maybe Gary needs to "injure" his Hamstring again this offseason. Then well have TWO pro bowlers on the DL!! :woot

Ok, that wasnt funny.

Sarg01
03-02-2005, 09:05 PM

You're focused on the wrong number. Payne will represent 3-3.5 million against our cap this year and 3.5-4.5 million next year. Then he'll either have made a full recovery and be the great NT he was in the expansion year, restructure to a lower number or be released after June 1 (1.13 cap hit - trivial as far as these deals go).

For comparison, Jamie Sharper represents 6.13m against our cap this year. Aaron Glenn is 5.17m. Seth will probably be a little less than the cap hit of Steve McKinney and a bit more than that of Zach Wiegart. Payne's cap number LAST year was 4.17m

The Texans left themselves plenty of room to get out in case Seth is done after this year.

Grid
03-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I was still thinking numbers in the 2 mil range would be more fitting.

ahh well.. we will just have to see what happens.. if he stays healthy he is worth it.

Alex
03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't understand why the Texans let go their deal with Pat Williams to resign Seth Payne for about the same amount of money .... :confused:

Payne's deal is 4 years/16 millions (average of 4) and Pat Williams deal with Vikings (according KFFL) is 3 years/13 millions (average of 4.3 mil.). Personally I really think that Williams would be better than Payne in a 3-4 scheme.

P.S. Sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Quebec, Canada....

Vinny
03-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Looks like 3 years and a 6 million dollar bonus for Williams.Vikings | Williams Agrees to Three-Year Deal - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:42:03 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent DT Pat Williams (Bills) to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million

UberDork
I like the move. I would guess that is about as low as we could go monetarily and not get ourself into a potential bind later on if we missed on a few guys at NT. I don't know how the contract is laid out, but I hope the guaranteed money is paid sooner rather than later. I was hoping Payne would come back for a year or two because I really like a few NT prospects in the 2006 draft.

edo783
4 mill does seem a tad stong for a guy coming off of two injured seasons. I like the guy and when he is able to play at his best he is more than worth what we are paying. Just another roll of the dice on an injured player by CC. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us like Walker has.

texansfan88
we were close to a deal with Williams? one of the best run stuffers in the league? and we didn't do it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

keyfro
03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
well...all i know about payne's injury is this...he says he'll be ready by training camp...but knowing the texans organization and the way we slowly bring back starters he'll probably be going full speed by pre-season...i too think pat williams would have been the better option but who knows what kind of injuries he has suffered lately...and maybe just maybe pat williams character doesn't fit the other guys in the lockerroom...all in all payne knows the system and when he's fully healthy he's damn good in it...i'm just glad we're not going into the draft without a NT

Sarg01
03-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I was still thinking numbers in the 2 mil range would be more fitting.

ahh well.. we will just have to see what happens.. if he stays healthy he is worth it.

Depending how backloaded the contract is, it's not impossible the number this year might be less then 3 mil.

My wild-guess estimated salaries were 2.25, 3.25, 4.75 and 5.75, which would be a little less backloaded than the "standard" NFL contracts. The more backloaded the salary, the more likely Payne is cut/restructured in 2 years, but his cap number for the next two years is reduced as a result.

nunusguy
03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I would rather have DeLoach than Payne, straight up. He's younger and
doesn't have the injury baggage that Seth has. Whatever DeLoach gets with us or elsewhere, be interesting to see how that deal compares to Seth's deal.

Sarg01
03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why the Texans let go their deal with Pat Williams to resign Seth Payne for about the same amount of money .... :confused:

Payne's deal is 4 years/16 millions (average of 4) and Pat Williams deal with Vikings (according KFFL) is 3 years/13 millions (average of 4.3 mil.). Personally I really think that Williams would be better than Payne in a 3-4 scheme.

P.S. Sorry for the gramatical mistakes, I'm from Quebec, Canada....

It's the roughly same amount of money assuming Williams and Payne both play out their contracts. However, the Vikings will take a bigger cap hit if they have to release Williams in less then 3 years - Given the contract numbers you mention, I'd estimate he'll be about 7-7.5 million on the Vikings cap that year (worse if he makes any incentives) and be 35 years old, so the Vikings may very well regret their choice.

Alex
03-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Personally I would like to see Williams in the middle of the Texans D-Line. But if the money saved can help the Texans to bring a good WR like Travis Taylor or Kevin Johnson I think that it's a good move. And I don't know why the Texans negociate with Ron Dayne :thumbdown Even he is a good 3rd down RB I believe that the Texans have already a good "Power RB" in J.Wells. I also think that the Texans must pursue a good safety like Ronnie Heard or Idrees Bashir. Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...

Vinny
03-02-2005, 09:55 PM
And I don't know why the Texans negociate with Ron Dayne :thumbdown Even he is a good 3rd down RB I believe that the Texans have already a good "Power RB" in J.Wells. I also think that the Texans must pursue a good safety like Ronnie Heard or Idrees Bashir. Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...The Dayne rumor was just a rumor from what I gather so they may not have been in negotiations with him. Eric Brown doesn't start at SS anymore. There is a guy named Glenn Earl who took over the job last year.

Sarg01
03-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Eric Brown is a good hard hitter but not really a playmaker and I don't know if he is recovered at 100 % of his injury...

I think you can pretty much book that Glenn Earl is our starting Strong Safety at this point, barring injury.

michaelm
03-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow. Maybe Gary needs to "injure" his Hamstring again this offseason. Then well have TWO pro bowlers on the DL!! :woot

Ok, that wasnt funny.

Don't sell yourself short... it actually was pretty funny!

Of course, I've been drinking...

haHA!

Alex
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I know who Glenn Earl is but I didn't thinked that he wins his place on the starting lineup.... I still think that Ronnie Heard can be a good signing.

Also the Texans pursue UFA Linebacker Morlon Greenwood who make 101 tackles last year. I don't know why the Texans want another linebacker even they have Babin, Wong and Peek outside :confused:
Maybe to take Kailee Wong place next year when he will become UFA

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3065660

Rosusu
03-02-2005, 10:35 PM
As long as Payne can stay healthy I think he is a good sign. I still wouldnt mind drafting a linemen or two.

Vinny
03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Walker has been to the Pro Bowl as a Texan. He just needs to come back healthy. I think his injuries hampered his play last year. I look for him to bounce back strong in 2005

Rosusu
03-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Walker has been to the Pro Bowl as a Texan. He just needs to come back healthy. I think his injuries hampered his play last year. I look for him to bounce back strong in 2005

I think he is just getting older and loosing a step or two. I dont expect him to get any better.

Vinny
03-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Quality 2-gap linemen generally have long careers. He doesn't need to get any better. Just play up to his potential and get back some of that explosiveness that he lost with the hamstring issues. Walker was in the Pro Bowl two years ago and isn't finished.

gg no re
03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
I know who Glenn Earl is but I didn't thinked that he wins his place on the starting lineup.... I still think that Ronnie Heard can be a good signing.

Also the Texans pursue UFA Linebacker Morlon Greenwood who make 101 tackles last year. I don't know why the Texans want another linebacker even they have Babin, Wong and Peek outside :confused:
Maybe to take Kailee Wong place next year when he will become UFA
Glenn Earl is still getting up to full speed from his knee injury..... look at Edgerrin and McGahee.... it took them 1-1.5 years to get back to 100%.... so next season, we will see what Earl can really do....

As for taking another LB, Texans are looking at Morlon as an ILB to pair with Sharper. Even said so in the article.

Rosusu
03-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I agree he is not finished but I dont think he will ever play the way he played two years ago. IMO

Ranger
03-02-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't know about yall, but I would want to be giving Pat Williams 4 mil a year instead of Seth Payne. I can't beleive we were close to making a deal with Pat and then said all of a sudden......."Oh well hey Seth we are close to getting your replacement, but do you wanna come back?" Maybe the Texans doctors know more about his rehabitation than I do or they have unbeleivable faith in him, but I don't think I would be taking this risk on him. I would go with the sure thing in Pat Williams. But then again who knows. Pat could get injured the first day of training camp and be out for the season and Payne could go to the Pro Bowl. You never know.

gg no re
03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
FAs are not always a sure thing. Very rarely will big name acquisitions make a huge impact immediately.

Aside from Trotter and Staley, no other big name FA made a positive difference [that I can think of....]

I think the resigning of Payne is a smart move.... although he is not the best player at the position, it is better to keep a player nearing a decline who knows the system, rather than overpay for a player who's also near the decline but has to learn the system.

infantrycak
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I would rather have DeLoach than Payne, straight up. He's younger and
doesn't have the injury baggage that Seth has. Whatever DeLoach gets with us or elsewhere, be interesting to see how that deal compares to Seth's deal.

Other than the injury issue, DeLoach isn't close to the player Payne is. The drop across the front 7 is obvious when Payne has not been in/up to full speed. DeLoach holds his ground--Payne pushes back the pocket, may not get the QB but creates the problem Carr has, no pocket to step into so players from the perimeter get a better chance to make a play.

SESupergenius
03-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Vikings signed Pat Williams DT to a three-year, $13 million contract including $6 million in bonus money. The deal also includes incentives that could eventually reach $15 million.

That is a ton of bonus money compared to what Payne got, I like the decision by the Texans, we may have overpaid slightly for Payne, but he knows our system already and IO guess the prognosis is good. We still go after a DL in the draft.

If we can go after 1 big name (ie Burress) and sign a few average ones we would be sitting pretty.

michaelm
03-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Aside from Trotter and Staley, no other big name FA made a positive difference [that I can think of....]

If you're refering to last season...

Owens!!!!!!!!!!
Dillon
Feely.... er, no...
Brunell...

Ok, for the most part your point is taken , but there were some hat made a difference

BornOrange
03-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Payne is also a bit younger than Williams.

Payne just turned 30 in February, while Williams is 32.5 years old and will turn 33 in October.

BornOrange
03-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Owens and Dillon were not free agents last year.

They were both acquired via trade.

gg no re
03-03-2005, 12:01 AM
If you're refering to last season...

Owens!!!!!!!!!!
Dillon
Feely.... er, no...
Brunell...

Ok, for the most part your point is taken , but there were some hat made a difference
I want to say Owens and Dillon, but they were trades for the most part....

Oh well, there is always the Brunells, Warners, and Garcias to offset the cream of the crop.

bckey
03-03-2005, 03:18 AM

And then he had the worst season of his career in 2003.

I think we over paid for Payne after the last 2 years he had. I like Payne and I think most Texan fans do but it boils down to what have you done for me lately. The last 2 years the answer is not much. So we are signing him based on what he did prior to those 2 years hoping he can get back to that level. I'll say one thing. The Texans don't shy away from signing injured players.

rittenhouserobz
03-03-2005, 07:26 AM

I think we over paid for Payne after the last 2 years he had. I like Payne and I think most Texan fans do but it boils down to what have you done for me lately. The last 2 years the answer is not much. So we are signing him based on what he did prior to those 2 years hoping he can get back to that level. I'll say one thing. The Texans don't shy away from signing injured players.

Paynes trouble all started, because of a terrible playing surface in NO. He was still in a rehabilitation stage during last year. This coming year I believe we will see the powerful Payne destroying the opposing OL. :thumbup Just keep up the faith and believe he can be that player again.

tom1354788
03-03-2005, 07:42 AM
I was just thinking about how i hope Payne's deal is structured, im hoping that its not hugely back loaded like it may be. Im thinking while we have the cap room its better to average it out as much as possible, I cant see him being round for the full 4 years, I see us drafting a NT this year or next, to take over from payne, in which case when we cut him we wont have as much dead money counting on the cap in a few years time.

i have never really understood back loading contracts (for veterans, diffrent for young players), apart from the motivation standpoint, why would you wanna pay more for a player when the chances are his play has droped off.

i realise that he will never be paid his 4th year wage, either being restructured or cut, but personally i hate the effect of dead money, look whta it has done to teams like the titans!

infantrycak
03-03-2005, 10:00 AM

Nice job of jumping a post. I was responding to a question about the prognosis for recovery for the injury Payne just had. And Walker's injuries in 2003 were completely different--turf toe and a shoulder injury. Frankly I think last year was the worst of Walker's career--he was actually on the field and not producing as opposed to unable to play.

bckey
03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Paynes trouble all started, because of a terrible playing surface in NO. He was still in a rehabilitation stage during last year. This coming year I believe we will see the powerful Payne destroying the opposing OL. :thumbup Just keep up the faith and believe he can be that player again.

I hope so. He is one of the most liked players on the Texans team. Just before he was injured the first time he looked like a monster out there. I think he would have had a pro bowl year.

TexanBacker93
03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Payne had a great year for the Texans. He missed all but a few plays of the last game so it isn't like they lost him for the whole season. At least he's out injured with real injuries (Torn ACL, Torn Hamstring insertions). I'd rather have that than the dreaded day to day turf toe that lost last year for Walker.

Payne is one of the better 2 gap linemen in the league.

bckey
03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Nice job of jumping a post. I was responding to a question about the prognosis for recovery for the injury Payne just had. And Walker's injuries in 2003 were completely different--turf toe and a shoulder injury. Frankly I think last year was the worst of Walker's career--he was actually on the field and not producing as opposed to unable to play.

I wasn't jumping a post. I was just pointing out that right after that pro bowl year Walker had he had his worst year. And we are paying Walker big $. Hopefully he will have a better year this year since we are keeping the same dl.

JustBonee
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I thought it was funny how Payne pretty much went under the radar in 2002. He was the glue of that defense. No one talked about him. He was the invisible man .. then the injuries, and everyone realized the huge role he had played.

TexanBacker93
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
FAs are not always a sure thing. Very rarely will big name acquisitions make a huge impact immediately.

I think the resigning of Payne is a smart move.... although he is not the best player at the position, it is better to keep a player nearing a decline who knows the system, rather than overpay for a player who's also near the decline but has to learn the system.

Kearse had a pretty good year in Philly.

gg no re
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah I just remembered that.... man, even in the offseason, Kearse gets no love..... :(

brickmantexanfan
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
In The Words Of Clubber Lang My Prediction For The 2005 Season Of Our Opponents."payne!"

Hervoyel
03-03-2005, 01:46 PM

I expect 2002-esq seasons from Walker and Payne this coming year. Barring injury I think they can both be forces on the line and will be for a couple more years. So many people were ready to see Payne hit the door and seem to want Walker gone as well but that is IMO a mistake. Unfortunate injuries at bad times have combined to make these two look like they're no longer quality starters.

If that's over and they stay healthy then these are two linemen capable of dominating. There's a reason we took them both in the expansion draft and it was because they were legitimate starting players who fit what we wanted to do here and who had years left. Understanding that seems to have been lost over the last two seasons.

Sarg01
03-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I... im hoping that its not hugely back loaded like it may be. Im thinking while we have the cap room its better to average it out as much as possible, I cant see him being round for the full 4 years, ... in which case when we cut him we wont have as much dead money counting on the cap in a few years time ...

Dead money comes from signing bonus, not salary. Payne's signing bonus is very small. If you agree he won't play 4 more years under this contract, then the ideal scenario for the Texans would actually BE a massively backloaded contract. Regardless of front-loading, even-payout or back-loading. Payne's cap hit (assuming the published details of the signing are accurate, of course) will be precisely 1.125 million per year remaining on his contract if he were to be cut. Thus, if we cut him in 3 years, his 4th year cap hit will be 1.125m of dead money. The more he is scheduled to make in yr 4, the lower the cap number will be in yrs 1-3.

Vinny
03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news_images/players/payne/payne_colts111404.jpghttp://www.houstontexans.com/news_images/players/payne/payne_closeup030305.jpg

Payne interview (http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/2003/texans/demand/paynequestions030305.rm&proto=rtsp)(real player)
Payne press conf (http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/2003/texans/demand/paynepresser030305.rm&proto=rtsp) (real player)

Payne knows drama
By Carter Toole
Houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1569)

In his heart of gridiron hearts, Seth Payne didn’t want to leave Houston.

He liked his teammates and coaches. He liked the city. And his wife, Brandi, is due to have the couple’s first child in May. A major move is not exactly what Payne was seeking at this point in his life. But Payne also understands that this is a business. That’s why he was on a flight to New York Wednesday morning in the first few hours of the free agency period. Payne also had scheduled visits to Cleveland and New Orleans. He was simply performing his due diligence.

Luckily for Payne and the Texans, he was back in Houston Wednesday night. And today he sat before the cameras as the proud owner of a new four-year contract. “I’m just really excited to still be a part of this organization,” Payne said. “It was a little dicey there for a minute. I was starting to worry about going to another team. Yesterday morning I thought the opportunity to come back was pretty much gone.”

Payne was sitting in a doctor’s office on Long Island yesterday, getting checked out before heading to his hotel on Long Island. Dinner with the Jets coaches would follow. New York had lost its nose tackle, Jason Ferguson, to the Cowboys and were eager to talk to Payne. But en route to the hotel his cell phone rang. Agent Ralph Cindrich told Payne to head home. Payne asked his driver, one of the Jets’ trainers, to turn around and head back to LaGuardia Airport. “I felt kind of bad for the guy,” Payne said.

That’s the way free agency works, especially on the first day, when players are scattered all over the country. But let’s just consider the flight to and from the Big Apple as a minor detour on the road back to Houston. “It’s been a great 24 hours,” Payne said. “I think they do things the right way here. I love the guys on the team. I love the way they conduct business. I think we have the potential to be one of those teams that’s a playoff contender every year.”

Count head coach Dom Capers among those excited, and relived, to have Payne returning. And not just for his performance on the field. “Seth means more to the team than just his play,” Capers said. “He is a leader, he has a great work ethic and he knows what it takes to win. He has fought through adversity and gained the respect of his team and the entire organization.”

The Rodeo rides outside the south entrance to Reliant Stadium have nothing on Payne’s rollicking journey the past two years. After enjoying a career season in 2002 with 147 tackles, Payne opened the 2003 season in dominant fashion. But his season ended after just five quarters as he suffered an ACL injury in his left knee at New Orleans. “I got my foot stuck and the knee gave out on me,” Payne said.

His season was over, but the drama was only beginning. Payne had surgery on Sept. 29, 2003, and the initial rehab was proceeding as normal. But his knee flared up a few months later. Doctors first thought it was a staph infection before discovering that Payne’s body was rejecting the cadaver tendon. On Jan. 12, 2004, Payne went under the knife again. This time, doctors took a patella tendon from his right knee and put it in his left ACL.

His rehab delayed, Payne nevertheless remained the hardest-working man at Reliant Stadium. He had been previously caught in the weight room on Christmas Day and sustained that work ethic after the second surgery. He finally hit the field in the Texans’ final preseason game against Tampa Bay.

Payne would be the first to admit it took him a few games to get his sea legs back last season. But soon enough, Payne became the high-motor 3-4 nose tackle they remembered. He started 12 of 16 games, collecting 84 tackles and two sacks, eventually earning the team’s Ed Block Courage Award. But it was that 16th game and 12th start that provided the latest bit of pain and subsequent drama. In Houston’s season finale against the Browns, Payne went down in the second quarter. The first thought for everybody in the stadium was obvious: It’s his knee again.

Actually, it was Payne’s hamstring and it was torn. Even if it wasn’t the left knee, it was still a huge setback for a player two quarters away from free agency. But Payne tackled his latest rehab with the same fervor as his previous rehabs.

Let’s be honest, Payne’s recent history was a factor on the free agent market, whether it was Houston, New York, Cleveland or New Orleans. But his determination and leadership were also factors, and the Texans had a window into those dynamics that the other teams did not. (Except perhaps the Browns, where former Texans defensive line coach Todd Grantham is now defensive coordinator.) It’s one thing to hear how hard a player works. It’s another thing to see it day in and day out with your own eyes.

Payne’s press conference today was at 11:30 a.m. We expected him to arrive and sign his contract maybe a half-hour before heading downstairs. Payne walked though the lobby before 9 a.m. We should have known better. Payne is as punctual as his head coach and now he’s back in the Texans fold. Both men couldn’t be happier.

Houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1569)

Vinnie333
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
unfortunately, I'm still not sold on Payne being much of a presence in the middle this year. He's coming off some injuries and is on the wrong side of 30. But hopefully he'll prove me wrong and give us a great year.

JacksonvilleJaguar4
03-11-2005, 07:04 PM
I read on your home page that you guys resigned Seth Payne, but from what I have read on this board alot of you guys don't think to highly of Payne, so whats the deal, I would imagine that there would be more complaining about this signing then from what I have seen so if someone could tell me about their feelings on Payne and his new deal that would clear up alot of questions for me :confused:

gg no re
03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Payne is half and half.

On one side, he is great when healthy, and already knows the system.

On the other side, he hasn't been healthy lately, and we passed up Pat Williams.

To me, I didn't mind..... Payne may not have been the best we could have gotten, but we could have done worse.

texasguy346
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Payne is a dominant force on our line when he's healthy. He makes our defense better. However as gg no re mentioned he hasn't been healthy alot lately. If he remains healthy next season you should see a big jump in our defensive play.

powda
03-11-2005, 07:11 PM
what alternative was/is there to payne right now? the draft dosent have a lot to offer in the early rounds in the way of nose tackles and free agency didnt provide a lot of options either (maybe 2 players). we know when payne is healthy and not recovering he can be a good player. i dont think the contract was outrageous. it pretty much fits....and we had to have a nose tackle.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Supposedly, we were close to a deal with the top free agent NT Pat Williams....

I'm glad we didn't sign him.... his bonus at Minnesota is CRAZY.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 08:20 PM
i still like payne, and am kidan glad we re-signed him, i'm just glad it wasnt his knee again, he should rehab well from his previous injury. Lets be thankful it wasnt his knee again, a hamstring injury has a lot less afect on a player long term and short term than a knee injury does. He should become dominant once again next season !

OzzO
03-22-2005, 10:56 PM
the latest...

Texans | Payne Still Recovering - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:46:50 -0800

Katie Lewis, of HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans DL Seth Payne (hamstring), who suffered a hamstring injury in the 2004 season finale, is still recovering from the injury and is expected to be limited in the team's offseason workouts. Payne may be ready to go at full speed by minicamps in June.

D-ReK
03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I really hope he regains his old form next year and stays healthy...

He's the key to our defense's success...

outofhnd
03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
All the more reason Drafting a quality DL should be paramount this year.

D-ReK
03-22-2005, 11:45 PM
All the more reason Drafting a quality DL should be paramount this year.

Anthony Bryant, NT, Alabama (6"3', 337, 4.97) in the 4th :thumbup ...

outofhnd
03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
thats great for the 4th round but we could use more than 1 DL out of this years draft. We need D Lineman that can possibly push our 3 starters for playing time come opening day.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I'd be all for taking a DE and a NT, but I'm not too sure if we would do it after bringing back all of our FAs on the D-Line...

outofhnd
03-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Just because we brought them back doesnt mean they will automatically make the roster. I think we did that as insurance if we dont get the DL we want.

D-ReK
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Just because we brought them back doesnt mean they will automatically make the roster. I think we did that as insurance if we dont get the DL we want.

:hmmm: One can only hope...The D-Line didn't get the job done last year, and if they aren't doing their job, it's nearly impossible for the LBs to do their job...

infantrycak
03-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Here is the full blurb on Payne from the original article on HoustonTexans.com

Also in attendance was nose tackle Seth Payne who courageously returned during the 2004 season after missing most of the 2003 campaign to undergo and recover from ACL surgery. Though he injured his hamstring in the Texans season finale against Cleveland, his prognosis for the spring looks very promising.

The players exercise quick body reflexes and coordination.
Always a grinder in the weight room and in rehab, Payne has once again worked hard during his time away from the field to return to his old form.

On March 3, Payne solidified his status for next season when he re-signed with the Texans. The Texans welcomed back a leader and anchor on defense while Payne was relieved to remain on Houston soil and in a system he strongly believes in.

Payne took it easy during the team’s workout but his presence alone reflected his support and commitment to his teammates.

“I spent half of the workout giving moral support,” Payne smiled. “It’s nice to get back out here and do some things with these guys.”

Though his participation status for May coaching sessions and June mini-camps still remains uncertain, Payne is fully confident that his contributions will not be an issue when it comes time to buckling the chinstrap for season play.

“We realize that we have six months before our first game so we’re being conservative and taking it easy right now.”

This is not the long-term kind of injury the knee injury he was coming off of last year was and part of the benefit of having character guys on the team is their dedication to doing everything they can to make it back. Personally, I want him in the weight and rehab programs until training camp. Payne knows everything he needs and just needs to be sure not to have a set back from overeffort.

wags
03-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Personally, I want him in the weight and rehab programs until training camp. Payne knows everything he needs and just needs to be sure not to have a set back from overeffort.

Totally agree. I think he is right on track with his projected recovery and I wouldn't mind him having a limited role in training camp. Just get healthy for the opener.

TexansTrueFan
03-24-2005, 12:34 AM
yeah payne needs to hold out for a while, and make sure he is healthy for the season opener ! He is a big part of our defense if we want them to be succesful !