PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones Interview

m5kwatts
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4362575

I enjoyed this one particularly because we haven't heard much from him...he's also not the type to just parrot a bunch of company lines, he speaks from the heart...

Here's a teaser: Dude says he's run a 4.24 forty

CloakNNNdagger
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4362575

I enjoyed this one particularly because we haven't heard much from him...he's also not the type to just parrot a bunch of company lines, he speaks from the heart...

I heard this interview real time on 610. I was especially struck by his humble responses. He gave kudos to his "competition" Glenn Martinez, saying that he was a fine receiver who pushed him to excel. He also took responsibility for his fumbilitis and meeting tardiness, to which he accepted Kubiak's "tough love" consequences. Sounded like a boy turning into a man.

Insideop
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Wow! I knew he was fast and started out running Track, but I didn't think he was that fast in the 40. That's flying! :jogger: Hope he has an even better season this year.

m5kwatts
02-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I heard this interview real time on 610. I was especially struck by his humble responses. He gave kudos to his "competition" Glenn Martinez, saying that he was a fine receiver who pushed him to excel. He also took responsibility for his fumbilitis and meeting tardiness, to which he accepted Kubiak's "tough love" consequences. Sounded like a boy turning into a man.

Agreed big time, he wants to be a better person/player which is the most important part of a player's development. Its going to be really interesting to see if they let Walter walk in free agency and put the #2 WR reigns in his hands....personally I don't see that happening but if circumstances (Walter being woo'd away with big $$) allowed that to happen, I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. JJ's got elite talent and will be a big time player some day and I've always thought this from his first preseason here.

Goatcheese
02-03-2010, 11:48 PM
JJ is 6'4 218?

silvrhand
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow! I knew he was fast and started out running Track, but I didn't think he was that fast in the 40. That's flying! :jogger: Hope he has an even better season this year.

Sorry I'm going to throw the BS flag here.. There is no way that Jacoby Jones runs the 40 in 4.24.. Maybe in college when he was about 40lbs lighter, downhill, being chased by a lion.. MAYBE..

Campus: 4.49 in the 40-yard dash 2.58 20-yard dash 1.52 10-yard dash 34-inch vertical jump 7-inch hands Right-handed.

Combine: 4.53 in the 40-yard dash 1.65 10-yard dash 2.66 20-yard dash 4.31 20-yard shuttle 7.03 three-cone drill 34-inch vertical jump 10-foot-9 broad jump.

No More 8-8's
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah the 4.24 is highly suspiscious, he was just probably bragging, but doesnt take away the fact that he is really fast.

Jacoby reminds me alot of Donald Driver. If you look at DD career you will see that for the first 3 years, the guy was a nobody who barely got receptions. Then in year 4 he took off and never looked back. Sometimes players from small schools, that have some issues, need alot of time to mature and get to the speed of the game.

Given the oppurtunity to start, I think Jacoby can have a Donald Driver type year. If he does anything, he can at least stretch the field, and be able to cut Andre Davis.

eriadoc
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Jacoby reminds me alot of Donald Driver. If you look at DD career you will see that for the first 3 years, the guy was a nobody who barely got receptions. Then in year 4 he took off and never looked back. Sometimes players from small schools, that have some issues, need alot of time to mature and get to the speed of the game.

It takes most WRs about 3 years to really become starting quality WRs, as far as I can tell. In FF, people talk about it all the time. You know, it's FF, so who cares, right? But really, if you look at some of the WRs in the game today, many of them didn't take off right away.

This was Miles Austin's 4th season. He never did much of anything his first three. Wes Welker didn't really become the WR he is today until his 3rd or 4th season (and final one with the Dolphins). This Sidney Rice's 3rd season. Reggie Wayne's first couple of seasons were anything but remarkable. Steve Smith (NYG) didn't have a spectacular rookie or sophomore season. Steve Smith for the Panthers didn't do much in his first couple seasons as a WR, but was a good returner (like JJ). The list goes on .....

There are always the phenoms who come in and light it up right away, like AJ, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss back in the day, Anquan Boldin, Fitzgerald, etc. But a great number of WRs have to have their natural talent coached up on the practice field for a couple years. It's too soon to give up on JJ, as long as he has the fumble problem cured (which appears to be the case).

No More 8-8's
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
This was Miles Austin's 4th season. He never did much of anything his first three. Wes Welker didn't really become the WR he is today until his 3rd or 4th season (and final one with the Dolphins). This Sidney Rice's 3rd season. Reggie Wayne's first couple of seasons were anything but remarkable. Steve Smith (NYG) didn't have a spectacular rookie or sophomore season. Steve Smith for the Panthers didn't do much in his first couple seasons as a WR, but was a good returner (like JJ). The list goes on .....

Yeah i completely forgot about the Panthers Steve Smith. I remember he was always a head case, getting into trouble. One occasion i recall is when he kicked on of the Texans during a game here at Reliant, that really cost the team.

Bottom line, it would be great if Jacoby would pan out because unlike alot of people on that list...Donald Driver, Miles AUstin, Welker, Steve Smith (NYG)....Jacoby was a pretty high pick.

BIG TORO
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I think he is that fast and, that would be awsome if he replaced kevin JJ is more explosive.

painekiller
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
nice interview..

JB
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah i completely forgot about the Panthers Steve Smith. I remember he was always a head case, getting into trouble. One occasion i recall is when he kicked on of the Texans during a game here at Reliant, that really cost the team.

Bottom line, it would be great if Jacoby would pan out because unlike alot of people on that list...Donald Driver, Miles AUstin, Welker, Steve Smith (NYG)....Jacoby was a pretty high pick.

Steve Smith (NYG) was selected with the 19th pick in the 2nd round!

BigBull17
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah the 4.24 is highly suspiscious, he was just probably bragging, but doesnt take away the fact that he is really fast.

Given the oppurtunity to start, I think Jacoby can have a Donald Driver type year. If he does anything, he can at least stretch the field, and be able to cut Andre Davis.

He runs by people. He is very fast with pads on, which track guys normally arent. I think he could be a T.O type. Big, fast, and physical with a little shakey hands. He's just a little more agile.

badboy
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
JJ is 6'4 218?Roster listed at 6 foot 200 lbs.

JB
02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Roster listed at 6 foot 200 lbs.

Everyplace I checked has him at 6'2 210 lbs...

eriadoc
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM

PLAYER: DRAFT POS.

Sidney Rice: 2.12
Steve Smith (NYG): 2.19
Jacoby Jones: 3.9
Roddy White: 1.27
Vincent Jackson: 2.29
Michael Jenkins: 1.29
Devery Henderson: 2.18
Bernard Berrian: 3.15
Santana Moss: 1.19
Reggie Wayne: 1.30
Steve Smith (CAR): 3.12
Hines Ward: 3.31

There's just a few guys that have all gone on to be solid to great players, but whose first couple years in the NFL weren't anything of note. Never mind that there are way more busts than successes at the position, even if you only look at the first three rounds of the draft. Fans want the instant impact guy, but at the WR position, there aren't too many of them, and those are mostly drafted at the top of the first round. Jacoby's coming along fine, I think. (now that he doesn't fumble so much)

infantrycak
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Roster listed at 6 foot 200 lbs.

The Texans list him at 6'2" 206 lbs and NFL.com at 6'2" 210 lbs. What roster are you referring to?

Goatcheese
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry I'm going to throw the BS flag here.. There is no way that Jacoby Jones runs the 40 in 4.24.. Maybe in college when he was about 40lbs lighter, downhill, being chased by a lion.. MAYBE..

Campus: 4.49 in the 40-yard dash 2.58 20-yard dash 1.52 10-yard dash 34-inch vertical jump 7-inch hands Right-handed.

Combine: 4.53 in the 40-yard dash 1.65 10-yard dash 2.66 20-yard dash 4.31 20-yard shuttle 7.03 three-cone drill 34-inch vertical jump 10-foot-9 broad jump.

A rubber track is a lot faster surface than the AstroTurf they ran on at Indy. It could easily shave .15-.2 seconds off his time, and 4.24 was his personal best. It's not really that far fetched.

Big Lou
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Agreed big time, he wants to be a better person/player which is the most important part of a player's development. Its going to be really interesting to see if they let Walter walk in free agency and put the #2 WR reigns in his hands....personally I don't see that happening but if circumstances (Walter being woo'd away with big $$) allowed that to happen, I'm not so sure thats a bad thing. JJ's got elite talent and will be a big time player some day and I've always thought this from his first preseason here.

I'm hoping that KW is a "Team Guy", obviousley he plays for the money just as much as the next guy, but I think (I hope) he knows he thrives in this system because of players like #8, #80, and #81. I'm not taking anything away from K Dub because he's a stud in my book, but when you got AJ and OD taking the heat off of you you're gonna catch some passes, it just helps that he's sure handed and blocks like a small tractor.

Big Lou
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
A rubber track is a lot faster surface than the AstroTurf they ran on at Indy. It could easily shave .15-.2 seconds off his time, and 4.24 was his personal best. It's not really that far fetched.

Hell if I fell off the top of a 40 yard high building I couldn't beat 4.5 seconds to the ground, let alone 4.24, so he's got me beat either way!

m5kwatts
02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm hoping that KW is a "Team Guy", obviousley he plays for the money just as much as the next guy, but I think (I hope) he knows he thrives in this system because of players like #8, #80, and #81. I'm not taking anything away from K Dub because he's a stud in my book, but when you got AJ and OD taking the heat off of you you're gonna catch some passes, it just helps that he's sure handed and blocks like a small tractor.

I agree with this completely but I still wouldn't blame him if someone paid him to be their go to guy. Theres atleast a few teams where he could step in and be their #1 WR IMO and he could be given a pretty good contract to be that. I'm not even sure we're going to even attempt to re-sign him given all the other guys in need of new contracts.

2slik4u
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Ill tell you this, I LOVED what I saw from him last year. He was actually turning into a great route runner. His hands were great when he was in WR position. If that guy can run a 4.34 even, we have something very special in this kid. That interview was great. Good call CnD, a boy turning into a man going into, dare I say it AGAIN, the most important season in Texan history. Good timing on his part to start growing up.

TheRealJoker
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM

KW lost a lot of his leverage this season missing time with a hamstring injury and not putting up stellar numbers for all but I think his first game back (week 3 against the Jags). Add that to JJ developing into an option as a # 2 WR and Schaub proving he can spread the ball around to whoever gets playing time with the best of em and KW doesn't have a whole lot of bargaining power.

Maybe some team desperate for a WR will overpay for him but I think the Texans will give him a fair offer that doesn't break the bank because they don't necessarily "NEED" him. If he walks, we insert JJ. We'll lose a bit as far as blocking is concerned, but I think we gain a lot in the deep passing game. I think OD's injury allowed Dreesen, Anderson, and Casey to develop a bit more which should make KW's presence moving the chains less of a concern moving forward.

Bottomline: I would love having KW on the team in 2010. He's a solid player and we're a better team with him on the field. But we don't need to overpay to keep him when we've got the targets we do on offense and Schaub at QB.

threetoedpete
02-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Well J.J. has come a long way. I think from the time Matt Jackson dangled the dude in October at the trading dead line for a non descriptive DT as trade bait. I thought he had a very good season. So where is 'ol Matt now ? He still bobbles every now and then. But the game has slowed down enough for hm to make the correct decision as to what to do when he does. Very explosive player.

You did that good. Would you be so kind as to put up the link for the 610 Brain Baldinger pod from today ?

thanks for the post.

BTW, I'm listening to it now...he does confirm 218....6'4" comes from Rich Lord....He asks 6' 4" ? J.J. doesn't deny it....

Malloy
02-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Good little interview during our off-season. JJ 'sounds' matured, I hope it's the real thing because he could be a huge asset for us in the future! :)

jppaul
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
If I remember correctly JJ was working with a speed coach in the offseason, and it really showed this season. More impressive was his route running which improved about tenfold.