PDA

View Full Version : More examples of poorl local sports coverage

dalemurphy
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, I know we've been through this, but:

1. Recently discovered from a Denver radio broadcast that Slaton had his surgery 2 weeks ago.

2. 5 players had tryouts recently that went unreported in Houston.

3. Ray Wright was fired... I wrote to John McClain in his blog about this. Here it is... His response is the worst non-answer I've ever read:

JM,

It's been reported that Ray Wright, the head trainer, has been fired. When/why did this happen? what is the plan going forward? Was it a philosophical issue? What were they displeased with? who are they looking at to replace him?

{John, people get fired. It happens every year in almost every department. Bosses aren't happy with somebody's performance. I know they're looking for a replacement. -- JOHN}

b0ng
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
If the Texans don't tell JMC then he just doesn't know.

blitz90
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Agree w/the overall point but I see nothing wrong w/McLame's answer. Besides since when did a trainer getting fired become big news?

dalemurphy
02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Agree w/the overall point but I see nothing wrong w/McLame's answer. Besides since when did a trainer getting fired become big news?

Well, when your questions are asking for "why he was fired", "who are they looking at to replace him", etc...

And his response is "people get fired and they are looking to replace him"... what question is he answering?

HOU-TEX
02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

It was last year. BTW, the strength and conditioning coach is a pretty important position for any NFL team.

No More 8-8's
02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah a s &t coach is real important. i mean just look at the really bad teams in football, i bet they lead the league in players on injured reserve. the good teams know how to keep the players healthy, which is the most important thing.

The truth is McLain had no clue about and how no real answer

Hardcore Texan
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM

It was last year. BTW, the strength and conditioning coach is a pretty important position for any NFL team.

Exactly HT! Just ask little dickie justice about how important it is......LMAO.

Joe Texan
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
You are harping on the Best guy in Houston to get Texans info. He did not know cause the texans did not want him to know. I will take John McClain over any reporter in houston or Dallass. He is very knowledgable and is also very much a doen to earth guy. It is the off season and John deserves a little RandR don't you think. I look foreward to his stuff once training camp starts.

JB
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
You are harping on the Best guy in Houston to get Texans info. He did not know cause the texans did not want him to know. I will take John McClain over any reporter in houston or Dallass. He is very knowledgable and is also very much a doen to earth guy. It is the off season and John deserves a little RandR don't you think. I look foreward to his stuff once training camp starts.

For ovewrall football knowledge, McLame would not make a pimple on Gosselin's butt... imo

HoustonFrog
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
For ovewrall football knowledge, McLame would not make a pimple on Gosselin's butt... imo

Not only Gosselin but Cowlishaw in Dallas and others here and in Dallas. McClain tells a good story. His football knowledge is basically what someone told him. He can't analyze and break down games. The media here is horrible....print and radio, except for a few

WWJD
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
John's a nice guy! I read more complaints about the Chronicle though than I do compliments.

dalemurphy
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

My general criticism is directed at sports journalism in Houston as a whole. For instance, LZ doesn't attend the Kubiak press conferences because of babysitting issues with his kid... Give me a break!

Regarding my criticism of J. McClain, if you don't know the answer to the question, then say "I'll find out", and then make a few phone calls. Don't evade the question by restating it as an answer.

ATXtexanfan
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
You forgot the sarcasm smiley

WWJD
02-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Rick Gosselin is excellent. I think his work is exceptionally good with the draft and his information is usually very accurate.

Showtime100
02-02-2010, 04:21 PM
John McClain, lol. I don't read him much and there's a reason. He's just not informative. The other day I was watching an ESPN (?) show about the game's most punishing RB's. Knowing Big Earl was going to be included in there somewhere I kept watching.

They get to Earl, all great stuff, Dan Pastorini describing the Isiah steamroll. Enter McClain, he said the best hit Earl ever laid on anybody was the hit on Jack Tatum and I didn't misunderstand him. Um, no. Earl got whacked by Tatum on that play and was never the same after that very hit. For my money is was the hardest Campbell was ever hit, but here's McClain calling it Campbell's best hit. My jaw was on the floor and I would never again give McClain the time of day once I stopped laughing. I was embarrassed for the guy.

Also, I thought the answer he gave dalemurphy was awfully flippant. End of season? Needs a break from the Texans? Take two weeks off for vacation and don't think sports. Not cool to blow off a reader like that, IMO.

D-ReK
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM
McClain comes across like a nice enough guy, but I can't stand most of his pieces or his blog, especially the comments. All of the Texans vs Cowboys crap that he instigates is just mind-numbingly inane and pointless. So what some guy calls all Houstonians "loopers"? BFD. What does that have to do with our football team?

I really miss the days of the Post where there was actually a bit of competition in the market.

houstonspartan
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
LOL. Dale, I saw that thread, and I saw that question.

Agree it was a piss-poor, non-answer.