PDA

View Full Version : Texans workout 5 players

beerlover
02-02-2010, 01:56 AM
http://hou.scout.com/a.z?s=116&p=9&c=2&cid=942978&nid=4347341&fhn=1

According to a league source, the Houston Texans recently worked out five players.

Ks Justin Medlock and Dave Rayner, P Glenn Pakulak, LS Nathan Hodel, and veteran LB Matt Stewart are believed to have worked out for the team last week.

LS Bryan Pittman and P Matt Turk's contracts will expire on March 5, so the team may have wanted to get a look at Pakulak and Hodel.

Guess I can scratch off K, P & LS off our Texans Mock Drafts :specnatz:

HOU-TEX
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
It's somewhat comforting to see they're bringing in kickers. I just hope they don't give up and remain status quo going into camps.

blitz90
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
My assumption is that they'll have 3 kickers coming into camp, K. Brown being one of them. He who sucks least wins.

HOU-TEX
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
My assumption is that they'll have 3 kickers coming into camp, K. Brown being one of them. He who sucks least wins.

We'll see, I reckon. Three might be a bit much considering we're only allowed to bring 80 to camp. I'm not sure I'm willing to give an extra spot or two away for a dadgum kicker. Hopefully they're able to get it down to 2 at most before camp even begins.

Ole Miss Texan
02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Good to see Smith and Kubiak are reading these threads and listening to what needs to happen on this team.

Joe Texan
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
The already know what they nee without all you yahoos thinking you had something to do with it, It has barely been a month since the pink Soap issue

Texanballer
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Those kickers are worse then Kris Brown.

Ole Miss Texan
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
The already know what they nee without all you yahoos thinking you had something to do with it, It has barely been a month since the pink Soap issue
Kubiak has been spotted during games pulling out his iPhone and reading the game thread on here to get advice on how he should coach the rest of the game. Occasionally he'll get on facebook or twitter while Shanahan was calling the plays. He also reads the threads religiously to see what needs to be done to certain players: see Ahman Green, Travis Johnson Anthony Weaver and Brandon Harrison.

Thorn
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Kubiak has been spotted during games pulling out his iPhone and reading the game thread on here to get advice on how he should coach the rest of the game. Occasionally he'll get on facebook or twitter while Shanahan was calling the plays. He also reads the threads religiously to see what needs to be done to certain players: see Ahman Green, Travis Johnson Anthony Weaver and Brandon Harrison.

It's reassuring to know how important my posts are to the success of this team. :)

4Texans
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
It's reassuring to know how important my posts are to the success of this team. :)

So what's taking you so long to get the Texans into the playoffs??????

:spin:

CloakNNNdagger
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Here's a description of 2010 NFL Free Agent Kickers and Punters (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/pk.html)

gtexan02
02-02-2010, 01:09 PM

:spit:

Thorn
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
So what's taking you so long to get the Texans into the playoffs??????

:spin:

Obviously the opposing head coach is reading these forums as well, and is well prepared with their counters to our shrewd game calling.

redwhiteANDblue
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Who knows? Maybe one of us is Kubiak!

Esoom
02-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Definitely not me :backsout:

m5kwatts
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I actually would like to see Turk punting here next year... he's a holder and we had one of the best punt coverage units last year

playa465
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Did you forget this: :sarcasm:

Esoom
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I actually would like to see Turk punting here next year... he's a holder and we had one of the best punt coverage units last year

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with Matt Turk, other than he's getting a little old. They're probably just looking at people for the future.

D-ReK
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
This makes me happy.

Medlock was a very good kicker at UCLA, but has had some tribulations in the NFL. After having a nice season in the CFL, he may be ready to come in and compete for a spot. He is also a pretty good punter, so maybe they're giving him a look there too. At this point, it seems like due diligence, but it's a start.

Maybe Stewart gets signed, but he'd likely just be a camp body since he hasn't made anyone's team since 2006. In all actuality, if any of these guys gets signed, they'll just be camp bodies.

FirstTexansFan
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM

I'd tell ya, but then everyone would know I called for my own firing, and wore pink soap :)

Giant Tiger
02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
This makes me happy.

Medlock was a very good kicker at UCLA, but has had some tribulations in the NFL. After having a nice season in the CFL, he may be ready to come in and compete for a spot. He is also a pretty good punter, so maybe they're giving him a look there too. At this point, it seems like due diligence, but it's a start.

Maybe Stewart gets signed, but he'd likely just be a camp body since he hasn't made anyone's team since 2006. In all actuality, if any of these guys gets signed, they'll just be camp bodies.

Medlock had a very good year. I hope the Texans take a good look at him :yes:

TexanSam
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Medlock had a very good year. I hope the Texans take a good look at him :yes:

Shoot, I'd say he had a good year!

http://cfl.ca/roster/show/id/2361

22 for 22...not too shabby!

D-ReK
02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Shoot, I'd say he had a good year!

http://cfl.ca/roster/show/id/2361

22 for 22...not too shabby!

He was 22/22 on extra points. He went 40/46 in FGs (87%) which blows away Brown's 21/32 (65.6%).

For those of you thinking, "Big deal, he did well in the Canadian league", I point to guys like Rob Bironas and Lawrence Tynes who bounced around for a couple years then finally were able to come in and make an impact on their teams. Hell, Bironas had to go all the way down to AF2 before he could work his way back. These stats definitely should not be discounted.

steelbtexan
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM

I believe Dale or TK is Kubes in disguise.

LOL

Wolf
02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
The Texans recently worked out kicker Justin Medlock according to this report by Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun.

Medlock played for the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL in 2009. He was successful on 40 of 47 attempts (85.1%) with a long of 52 yards.

While the exact timeframe of the workout hasn't been confirmed, it's believed that Medlock was in town during the past week.

Journeyman kicker Dave Rayner was also brought in for a workout according to this item from Adam Caplan of ScoutNFLNetwork.com.

Medlock, who attended college at UCLA, was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 5th round of the 2007 draft. He was later released by the Chiefs and had a cup of coffee with the St. Louis Rams in 2008 before signing with the Argos in 2009.

The fact that the Texans are working out kickers is not surprising.

Kris Brown followed a career best year in 2008 with a career worst in 2009. Brown missed 11 field goals last season, including three in a critical two game stretch, both close losses, against Indianapolis and Tennessee on either side of the bye week in November.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m2d3-Texans-work-out-CFL-kicker

JT
02-07-2010, 05:26 AM

And people supposedly like you?