PDA

View Full Version : Apology to Matt Schaub

Trail.Blazr
02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I had no faith in you coming into 2009. I thought you were at best a very good backup, who couldn't play out a full season and would end up being the biggest contributor to any woe's on offense. With our backups being what they were, saw the potential for a dismal year. I was dead wrong!

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial pro-bowl quarterback.

Texecutioner
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I had no faith in you coming into 2009. I thought you were at best a very good backup, who couldn't play out a full season and would end up being the biggest contributor to any woe's on offense. With our backups being what they were, saw the potential for a dismal year. I was dead wrong!

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial pro-bowl quarterback.

I was about 50/50 on the guy but was more worried about him holding up all season than anything. I'll give Matty boy a thanks as well though. I thought he had a great season and never understood why he got criticized a lot in here throughout the season.

What impressed me the most about Schaub this year though is that how he was able to take the Texans down the field a few times at the end of games. It didn't get noticed much, because a few of those games were the Chris Brown failures and the missed kicks by the other Brown. Schaub did his part though.

Look forward to seeing what he can do next season.

Props to you for admitting that you were wrong as well. At least it's something that you can feel happy to be wrong about. :thisbig:

beerlover
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon, on the bandwagon, off the bandwagon guess that's life of message boards :pursefight:

Thorn
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I think a lot of us were wrong about Schaub, which isn't a surprise. We traded two 2nd round draft choices for someone elses backup QB, and he was injured a lot his first two seasons. I won't apologize for my misgivings about him, but I will certainly admit I was wrong.

Really wrong. LOL. But in situations like this one, it's nice to be wrong. :)

Hervoyel
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Ok, one season does not a trend make. I think the NFL is (from a players perspective) all about proving yourself and then next year proving yourself all over again (repeat until you retire) so I want to see him build on this and add to it. Healthy though he did very well. Some brain fart decisions (pick 6) here and there but he did very well overall.

Ole Miss Texan
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
My apology to Matt Schaub is that we didn't trade for him sooner. :fingergun:

Mike Kerns
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Good for you for eating crow. I've done it on several occasions over the Mario/Reggie thing. On Matt, I was actually a fan of his when he was still in Atlanta (Yes, I am also a Falcons fan. Look it up.), so I liked the trade from day one.

Silver Oak
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I was right about Schaub, but I've been wrong about other stuff (DC), so I'll just keep my piehole shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Showtime100
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I was just hopeful he could stay healthy all year and he took a beating and still managed a perfect attendance record. Boy, what a mess if he'd gone down early. I wasn't terribly excited about our chances with him as the season began but looking at the 9-7 record posted I think there was plenty of reasons for that. Schaub had more to do with the nine wins than he did with the losses, IMO. As for the criticism on this board I think that had a lot to do with his impeccably bad timing of his mistakes.

Corrosion
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM

You rocked the house all season long! Without you, Houston would have struggled to be average at best. I have truly become a fan and hope you have a long career as our perennial ALL-PRO quarterback.

Fixed that for you - Pro Bowl dont mean much these days ....

houstonspartan
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I fully admit that I owe Matt Schaub an apology.

Big Lou
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
My hat is off to all of those that admit when they are wrong. It takes a Big Message Board Poster to admit it.

Dutchrudder
02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
It's really a shame they gave up two 2nd round picks, and swapped their first round picks for Shaub, as opposed to just giving up the 1st round pick alone for him. Instead we got 1 DT - Okoye, pick #10 overall - instead of two 2nd rounders in the top 50 picks...

Not that I'm certain the Falcons would have gone for it, but it would probably be more value to the Falcons that way. I think if you're willing to go out and grab a backup QB to make him your franchise QB, you better be certain enough to give up a 1st round pick for him.

Mailman
02-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I never doubted him because I was always a big believer in the value of those three years he had in Atlanta. Starting games is essential to a quarterback's development, but I think many fans are too quick to dismiss the important foundation work that gets done behind the scenes. Quarterbacks with the physical tools to be successful in the NFL learn just as much on the practice field and the film room as they do on the Sunday gridiron.

I remember well the criticisms many NFL fans and media experts directed at the Texans when they traded for Schaub. So many geniuses were laughing at the price the organization paid to obtain his rights with the typical braying about the value of that additional second round pick. The argument was familiar to all of us--"omg the Texans offensive line sucks, what are they doing wasting picks on a quarterback?!?!?! And who the hell is Matt Schaub, what has he ever done?"

My response was always the same--what he lacks in game experience he makes up for in three years of practices and training camps. The work he put in likely played a big part in the team's decision to take the risk of trading for him. Why gamble on a rookie qb when you can get a talented young guy who's been studying the game from the sideline?

Many draftniks were critical of the front office for supposedly wasting valuable picks on Schaub instead of using those picks to draft Brady Quinn instead and build the o-line. They were critical of the contract Schaub received and said the Texans were crazy to offer that kind of money to an unproven, third-round draft pick who played backup to Michael Vick. They were wrong.

I'd be lying if I said I thought Schaub would be this good, but I expected him to be an above-average quarterback who could immediately produce for the offense. From the first week of the 2007 season when he went deep to AJ, I knew we had a real NFL quarterback.

silvrhand
02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

We were 9-7, that qualifies as above average season? I'm confused?

BIG TORO
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
we were 9-7, that qualifies as above average season? I'm confused?

yes it does!

b0ng
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM

8 - 8 = Average
9 - 7 = Above the average (if only slightly)

BIG TORO
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
With an apology to matt well deserved, How Good does everyone think he will become?

Thorn
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM

9-7 is above average, barely, but it is. 8-8 is average. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The Texans are a team that no one in the league can simply dismiss. Progress has been slow, but it has been progress.

Like we've been saying for years now, next year will be the year! LOL

Marcus
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
My hat is off to all of those that admit when they are wrong. It takes a Big Message Board Poster to admit it.

:rolleyes: Yeah right!

If all you (clears throat) "crow-eaters" weren't so damn arrogantly adamant that your original views be expressed as facts rather than opinions . . . then just saying, "Well, I eat crow" might fly.

But that's not what's happening.

infantrycak
02-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Apparently so. If you are drafting below 16 the team was above average. The Texans are.

Big Lou
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM

If all you (clears throat) "crow-eaters" weren't so damn arrogantly adamant that your original views be expressed as facts rather than opinions . . . then just saying, "Well, I eat crow" might fly.

I'm not totally sure what you're getting at. I was genuine when I made the previous statement. I'm wrote a lot more that I deleted before posting, and one of the things I was going to say was that just about everything stated in the forum is opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are what make this so much fun.

It's especially fun when your opion pans out, but if now oh well, might as well own up to it. There's nothing worse than having one of your old threads dusted off when you were wrong!!!

I have no ill will towards anyone for their opinions on this board, there are only a couple things I hate, Jared Allen, Poor Officiating, and Rivals that come in and talk smack after a game, but don't have the cajones to talk smack ahead of time!!!!

Texan_Bill
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm not totally sure what you're getting at. I was genuine when I made the previous statement. I'm wrote a lot more that I deleted before posting, and one of the things I was going to say was that just about everything stated in the forum is opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are what make this so much fun.

It's especially fun when your opion pans out, but if now oh well, might as well own up to it. There's nothing worse than having one of your old threads dusted off when you were wrong!!!

I have no ill will towards anyone for their opinions on this board, there are only a couple things I hate, Jared Allen, Poor Officiating, and Rivals that come in and talk smack after a game, but don't have the cajones to talk smack ahead of time!!!!

Pretty sure Marcus was referring to those that went around beating their chests and saying things like "Schaub sucks!" or "Schaub is a backup QB at best!!" and saying it as though it were a proven empirical fact.

I liked the move for Schaub, but if he doesn't follow up this season with a good one next year, it'll be the same way around here next year.

Also, I have to admit, I'm still scared that Schaub is one asshat (see your buddy Jared Allen) away from missing another 5 games again.

NBT
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
We are all entitled to be wrong, but it takes a big person to go on the message board stage and admit to it. I have done it too many times to keep track of. However, our pieholes are made for opinions, so just keep on giving it your honest best

ChampionTexan
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Pretty sure Marcus was referring to those that went around beating their chests and saying things like "Schaub sucks!" or "Schaub is a backup QB at best!!" and saying it as though it were a proven empirical fact.

I liked the move for Schaub, but if he doesn't follow up this season with a good one next year, it'll be the same way around here next year.

Also, I have to admit, I'm still scared that Schaub is one asshat (see your buddy Jared Allen) away from missing another 5 games again.

To paraphrase Keith Olberman (when he was still doing sports and was actually good at his job):

He's one asshat away from missing 5 games - we're all one asshat away from missing 5 games.

Texan_Bill
02-01-2010, 05:51 PM
To paraphrase Keith Olberman (when he was still doing sports and was actually good at his job):

He's one asshat away from missing 5 games - we're all one asshat away from missing 5 games.

:lol:

Hookem Horns
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
The Texans DID struggle to be average this season and finished 1 game above average. That being said it is no knock on Schaub. A lot of factors played into that.

The Texans are fortunate to have him because the QB position is the hardest to fill with a competent person. Look at how many teams have had issues at that position for years.

I just think Schaub needs to play with a little more confidence. He's got the tools, he just needs a more confident attitude and demeanor on the field. Hopefully the Pro Bowl thing, plus winning the MVP award will go a long way in helping him in that area.

Texecutioner
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM

I don't understand this post or your rant here. Big Lou simply came out and said he was wrong for underrating what Schaub could do or bring to the table and yet you blast him for it. I say kudos to him for admitting that he was wrong on something which is something I notice that most posters won't do when proven wrong. Most people I find on many boards are to arrogant to admit to that, and yet Big Lou called himself out.

Schaub missed practically half of two seasons with the Texans and had been a career back up before coming here, so it's not like it was some given that Schaub would have a great year or even stay healthy. He, nor anyone else was a dummy for not having a ton of confidence in Schaub and neither was anyone else a genius for believing that Schaub would have a great year. It was hard to say with him really. Whether anyone believed in him or didn't I think I can speak for all Texans fans when I say that we're all happy for Schaub's succes despite what any of us believed before this season, or two seasons ago.

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
A guy that I see at the bar sometimes liked the trade from day 1 so that's good.

Thorn
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah? Your point is? We predict all the time on this message board what the season will be like, what the draft picks will be like, what the coaches will do. It stands to reason that we'll all be wrong about half the time. So what? It's a sports BBS, it's what we do.

Jezzzzzzzzz

Marcus
02-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Well, I'm glad at least someone left their light on.

What is it that's so often repeated around here . . . ("it's not that they lost, it's the way that they lost it")

Works the same way. Some of you constantly express your "opinions" in such a manner that discourages debate, and then cry a river when you get your nose rubbed in it when your wrong. That happens way to often around here.

Dutchrudder
02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey, at least the Texans didn't trade for Jay Cutler! Right?

God, I remember hearing people trashing Schaub before the season and saying we should send him to Denver... I was like 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!'

Dread-Head
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I won't appologize as of yet...but I won't bad mouth the man either. I'll see what the next season holds. If he does as well if not better than he did this year I will respectfully appologize to the guy.

Dreadford Headdington III

Tailgate
02-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere yet. But found some interesting stats. Matts career YPA at 7.8 has him in the top 10 of all time.... right above Johnny Unitas. This article was made back in Nov. but the overall average has remaind the same and the past two years have been ridiculous from this statistic alone... above 8.0.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2943_Is_Matt_Schaub_for_real%3F.html

The Texans (5-3) would reach the playoffs for the first time in their short history if the season ended today. And you know where we always turn when you see a team improve or decline: we look at the passing game.

Naturally, you find your answers there.

In fact, we were a little surprised by some of the numbers Matt Schaub has put up this season and in his short career. You already know he leads the NFL this year in passing yards (2,342) and is third in passing YPG (292.8). He also leads the NFL with 16 TD passes (tied with the much more widely publicized BrettFavre and Drew Brees).

That's all good stuff. But you also know we love passing yards per attempt as an indicator of success. And when we looked at Schaub's career average of 7.78 YPA, it really jumped off the screen. We knew right away that very few players in history have matched that mark. We were surprised by how few.

Schaub (1,113 career attempts) is still well short of the minimum 1,500 attempts required for "official" NFL records. But his career average of 7.78 YPA through Week 8 puts him on pace to join the all-time top 10. As it is, he's sandwiched between two of the greatest and most successful quarterbacks in the history of the game: Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas.

No, we're not saying Schaub deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Starr or Unitas. (Nor does Tony Romo, No. 4 on the list, for that matter).

The mass of data we have to measure him is still quite small. The guy's been in the league for six years, the first three as Michael Vick's anonymous back-up in Atlanta, and the last three as the anonymous starter in Houston. He's never started more than 11 games in a season and his 16 TD passes already are a career high. But his average per attempt has been consistently high when he has played, never dipping below 7.7 YPA over the last five years. Pretty impressive, given the limited evidence we have to work with.

The list above, meanwhile, provides quite a bit of hope for Houston fans hoping for the city's first pro football title since George Blanda and the Oilers beat San Diego in the 1961 AFL championship game.

Consider that the 10 official YPA leaders above have won an amazing 21 of 69 (30%) NFL championships since 1940:

* Graham (three)
* Luckman (four)
* Van Brocklin (two)
* Young (one)
* Roethlisberger (two)
* Warner (one)
* Starr (five)
* Unitas (three)

Graham also won all four titles in the short-lived AAFC (1946-49). The all-time passing YPA leader played in 10 straight pro football championship games, including six straight in the NFL (1950-55).

The bottom line is that the Texans are on pace to become the best team in their short franchise history because Schaub has been very, very effective passing the ball, especially with the highly productive Andre Johnson as his battery-mate.

As we stated before, if the Texans can field a decent defense one of these days, Schaub has the tools that could lead them to a Super Bowl. He's already putting up the types of efficiency numbers that eventually (and often) lead to championships.

Scooter
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
yo..

Brisco_County
02-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I've been right about everyone this year, so I owe no one.

Speedy
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
as has been said for 2 seasons now, if schaub stays healthy he's a top tier talent.

Really? I guess if AJ or Peyton or Brady, if any of those guys stay healthy too.....

Oh wait, Brady missed a whole year, he sucks.

infantrycak
02-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Joe Theisman was interviewed this am on 610 am. He predicted Schaub as the next QB to become an "elite" QB and said he is just a couple decisions over a season from being there.

Just passing that along. I was never a Theisman fan.

Scooter
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
nevermind

ChampionTexan
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Joe Theisman was interviewed this am on 610 am. He predicted Schaub as the next QB to become an "elite" QB and said he is just a couple decisions over a season from being there.

Just passing that along. I was never a Theisman fan.

I was listening to somebody national this morning (can't remember who, but it wasn't Theisman) talking about the Super Bowl, and they predicted that Brees might give the Colts trouble, because the only other "Really Good" QBs they've faced this season were Schaub and Warner. (I don't know whether they intentionally left out Brady, but other than him, it's hard to say they left anyone off the list).

I'm not saying it means much, but it was kind of cool to hear your teams QB is separating himself from the pack in many peoples perception (And yes, the exact words were "Really good", not elite, not great, not future HOfer, but simply "Really good").

HoustonFrog
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, I'm glad at least someone left their light on.

What is it that's so often repeated around here . . . ("it's not that they lost, it's the way that they lost it")

Works the same way. Some of you constantly express your "opinions" in such a manner that discourages debate, and then cry a river when you get your nose rubbed in it when your wrong. That happens way to often around here.

Marcus, nothing personal, but I don't think your style lately helps one bit. It's pretty brash and comes off as being quite rude. You wrote this same thing in a Kubiak thread. It was towards people like me that question Kubiak as a coach, no big deal. I wanted Carr gone and wrote daily about how Schaub was a really good QB and better than Sage but am I asking for apologies? It may help, to some, when it comes to trusting opinion, but overall, everyone comes here to express a view, not to be ridiculed down the road. It may get hot and heated in the midst of debates but it isn't personal. Overall, none of these people's careers(Schaub, Kubes, etc) have been defined so there is nothing to crow or eat crow about.

Mailman
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I was listening to somebody national this morning (can't remember who, but it wasn't Theisman) talking about the Super Bowl, and they predicted that Brees might give the Colts trouble, because the only other "Really Good" QBs they've faced this season were Schaub and Warner. (I don't know whether they intentionally left out Brady, but other than him, it's hard to say they left anyone off the list).

I'm not saying it means much, but it was kind of cool to hear your teams QB is separating himself from the pack in many peoples perception (And yes, the exact words were "Really good", not elite, not great, not future HOfer, but simply "Really good").

Ruh roh, don't let the UT goobers hear that! (And I'm a UT alum)

SteveSlaton20
02-06-2010, 11:49 PM
good thing i never doubted him.