PDA

View Full Version : Texans to start up annual series with Saints

Wolf
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
HOUSTON – Houston Texans owner Bob McNair confirmed to 11 Sports today that the team is in talks to start up an annual series with the New Orleans Saints.
The two teams will meet again this coming pre-season as the Texans will be the one’s traveling to and practicing in New Orleans, three days prior to the game.
McNair says he and Saints owner Tom Benson have agreed to renew this agreement every year, with the teams playing in the pre-season moving forward. They will alternate practice sites from Houston to New Orleans, depending on which the city the game will be played in.
McNair added he and Benson want to grow the rivalry between the Saints and the Texans to the level that will compare with the Texans-Cowboys rivalry.

http://www.khou.com/sports/Texans-to-start-up-annual-series-with-Saints-83209052.html

Saints have a looooonnnnggggg way to go to get a rivalry like the Cowboys

b0ng
01-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Only the fans have a rivalry between the Texans and the Cowboys. Teams who meet once every 4 years, and only if they are both in the SB do not make a rivalry.

Our true rivalry is with Tennessee.

WWJD
01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Only the fans have a rivalry between the Texans and the Cowboys. Teams who meet once every 4 years, and only if they are both in the SB do not make a rivalry.

What you said...

Speedy
01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Does this mean the series with the Bucs is over?

houstonspartan
01-31-2010, 06:55 PM

Co-sign.

As for New Orleans, as long as it remains a pre-season rivalry, all they'll get out of me is a yawn. I rarely give a fig about pre-season games, and I have tickets to all the home one's.

It may make for a fun weekend trip to New Orleans, but that's about it. Pre-season games are rarely on my "must do" radar.

Line_Producer
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
It may make for a fun weekend trip to New Orleans, but that's about it.

FTW.

Well, preseason tickets are factored into our prices. I'd rather pay for a team that's fun to watch. Plus, if you haven't noticed, the Saints fans have started popping up like flies here in Houston. Damn SB Bandwagon fans. :pirate:

WWJD
01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Wasn't it the Saints scrimmage or preseason game where there was so much fighting between the teams?

houstonspartan
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
FTW.

Well, preseason tickets are factored into our prices. I'd rather pay for a team that's fun to watch. Plus, if you haven't noticed, the Saints fans have started popping up like flies here in Houston. Damn SB Bandwagon fans. :pirate:

And that's why I guarantee you we will see an 18-game season at some point. Season ticket holders are sick and tired of paying full-price for meaningless games.

Yeah, Saints fans are everywhere around here. They've been getting on my nerves, to be honest.

houstonspartan
01-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Also, to be honest, McNair should be quiet and listen to Tom Benson explain how four years is plenty of time for a coach to turn a team around.

GP
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Meh, we're like the TTU of the NFL.

We think we have rivalries, but it's only on OUR end.

TTU thinks they are rivals with teams like UT and TAMU, but we don't have one with them. It takes two. Us Tech fans are the kids from across the railroad tracks who venture into the rich neighborhoods on summer nights and vandalize their homes and vehicles.

Now, if the Saints moved to San Antonio? I could see that becoming an in-state rivalry more than what we have with the Cowboys.

I think the Bengals have been a bit of a growing rivalry in recent years.

I miss the old days of the Oilers-Bengals-Steelers triangular rivalry and hatred we had between us. Sam Wyche, Glanville, Buddy Ryan, The Chin, etc.

LOL. It was like old school professional wrestling rivalries. It was The Freebirds against the Von Erichs, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, and Four Horsemen type of hatred back in the Oilers-Bengals-Steelers days. Somebody was gonna' whup someone's azz and there would be a cut forehead before it was all over with. Someone was gonna' use the cast on their arm, or a rope, or a branding iron, or a cigar-to-the-face to humiliate their opponent.

I miss those days. I sincerely do.

GP
01-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Also, to be honest, McNair should be quiet and listen to Tom Benson explain how four years is plenty of time for a coach to turn a team around.

Didn't Sean Payton have the Saints in the NFC title game vs. the Bears, too?

He was there for that. That makes TWO big playoff games for the coach. Two NFC title games.

And he's sitting on a possible Super Bowl title if he handles The Forehead.

Saints are going to win it. Colts can't stop Brees and his weapons. And I like the Saints defense this year. They are way far away from what they had last season, especially in the secondary.

steelbtexan
02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
What you said...

Yep

Saint fans in Houston are called Katrina victims.

Can you victims please go home.

Texans had IKE thanks for showing us how not to act.

Although free trips to the gentlemens clubs at the taxpayers expense would be alluring to some.

houstonspartan
02-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Didn't Sean Payton have the Saints in the NFC title game vs. the Bears, too?

He was there for that. That makes TWO big playoff games for the coach. Two NFC title games.

And he's sitting on a possible Super Bowl title if he handles The Forehead.

Saints are going to win it. Colts can't stop Brees and his weapons. And I like the Saints defense this year. They are way far away from what they had last season, especially in the secondary.

Yep, that was Sean Payton. He did all of that in four years. That's just amazing.

Talk about a coach deserving of an extension? If I were the Saints, I'd lock Sean Payton and that coaching staff in for another 5 to 7 years with big raises.

LonerATO
02-01-2010, 01:44 AM

Thank God we have you here to be the reminder police for this thread. :goodpost:

dalemurphy
02-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Yep, that was Sean Payton. He did all of that in four years. That's just amazing.

Talk about a coach deserving of an extension? If I were the Saints, I'd lock Sean Payton and that coaching staff in for another 5 to 7 years with big raises.

It's not every day that a team is able to sign a 26 year old Pro Bowl quality contract to a 2nd tier deal without giving up any compensation. That may have had something to do with the success. Basically, it's the equivalent of us not trading for Schaub but just simply signing him to his deal last season after he had 2 full seasons with another team and looked really good.

They deserve the credit, though, because they took an enormous risk with his "bad"shoulder and it really has payed off.

sandman
02-01-2010, 10:01 AM

All of that in 4 years? He took over for Haslett, who before his last season of 3-13 was 42-38 in 5 years with his worst season being 7-9.

Before this year, Payton was 25-23, going 7-9 and 8-8 the last two years, missing the playoffs.

In other words, he took a team that was consistently playing .500 ball and kept winning at that same rate until this season, when the team had a great year on both sides of the ball.

Not saying that he hasn't done an awesome job as a coach, but it goes against logic to look at the last four year sample size exclusive of the team performance in the immediate past.

Sean Payton and Gary Kubiak were not handed teams that were at the same level of success four years ago. All people want to talk about is the 3-13 record in Haslett's last year and conveniently forget the solid record that he had before that point. Gary took over a team that was fours years away from expansion and 18-46.

Yankee_In_TX
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM

QFT. Just because I despise them doesn't mean we have a rivalry :)

HoustonFrog
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM

This

Norm Hitzges was on 610 this morning. He is a long time Dallas radio personality. Smart guy. Vandermeer and Lopez tried to get him started on rivalries, etc and all he could say is they don't talk about the Texans up there. True. It is only here.

Both teams have nice division rivalries that are real rivals.

Thorn
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Rivalries exist in the mind of the fan and can be whatever you want them to be.

Vinny
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.khou.com/sports/Texans-to-start-up-annual-series-with-Saints-83209052.html

what rivalry? we rarely play the Cowboys.

Hervoyel
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Any rivalry the Texans are involved in at this point is a marketing ploy and little else. Teams you don't play regularly aren't your rivals. Teams that beat you over and over again aren't your rival, they're your daddy. Honestly the entire concept of a rivalry rarely enters my mind when I think of the Texans unless it's after reading stupid crap like this story on khou (not that I'm knocking you for bringing it to our attention Wolf, don't think that). We haven't earned a rivalry yet. Not with the Cowboys, Colts, Saints or even the Titans. Regular meetings, important games, winning as often as you lose (at least) are all necessary before any of these can be considered rivalries.

Most of all we need to win, win again, and then win again for a few years. If the Texans will start winning then whatever rivalry we're fated to be part of will take care of itself. Until that happens it's just marketing-speak to sell tickets and ad time.

devo-x
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Hmm ... What's the Texans overall W-L record against the Titans or Jacksonville? I would assume that's closer to a true rivalry :thinking:

LonerATO
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
This

Norm Hitzges was on 610 this morning. He is a long time Dallas radio personality. Smart guy. Vandermeer and Lopez tried to get him started on rivalries, etc and all he could ay is they din't talk about the Texans up there. True. It is only here.

Both teams have nice division rivalries that are real rivals.

Been saying that for awhile on here, Hell even in San Antonio they don talk Texans football or a rivalry with the Texans. Cowboys fans just dont care about this team and dont go around calling teams names. I am no Cowboy fan, but there is no rivalry when the other team/fans dont care about you.

sandman
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Hmm ... What's the Texans overall W-L record against the Titans or Jacksonville? I would assume that's closer to a true rivalry :thinking:

8-8 against the Jags

4-12 against the Titans

I doubt the Titans consider the Texans a rivalry. It's more of an older brother moving out of the house, and regularly beating up his younger brother that moved into his old room.

houstonspartan
02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Any rivalry the Texans are involved in at this point is a marketing ploy and little else. Teams you don't play regularly aren't your rivals. Teams that beat you over and over again aren't your rival, they're your daddy. Honestly the entire concept of a rivalry rarely enters my mind when I think of the Texans unless it's after reading stupid crap like this story on khou (not that I'm knocking you for bringing it to our attention Wolf, don't think that). We haven't earned a rivalry yet. Not with the Cowboys, Colts, Saints or even the Titans. Regular meetings, important games, winning as often as you lose (at least) are all necessary before any of these can be considered rivalries.

Most of all we need to win, win again, and then win again for a few years. If the Texans will start winning then whatever rivalry we're fated to be part of will take care of itself. Until that happens it's just marketing-speak to sell tickets and ad time.

I agree with everything except for the part about Tennessee not being our rivals. I think the rivalry was cemented this season. They know they can't just roll over us. They hate us. We hate them. Rivalry.

I agree about the Cowboys not being a real rivalry, but, it's just that I have Cowboy fans in my circle of friends and they are so arrogant and smug it blows my mind. As has been said about the Cowboys, it's not the team you hate, it's the fans.

sandman
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree with everything except for the part about Tennessee not being our rivals. I think the rivalry was cemented this season. They know they can't just roll over us. They hate us. We hate them. Rivalry.

I agree about the Cowboys not being a real rivalry, but, it's just that I have Cowboy fans in my circle of friends and they are so arrogant and smug it blows my mind. As has been said about the Cowboys, it's not the team you hate, it's the fans.

I am originally from San Antonio, which everyone knows is a Cowboys market. People in SA don't walk around like arrogant a-holes because they are Cowboys fans. And people in DFW are simply as fanatical about their team as we expect Texans fans to be about their own team.

I am still a Cowboys fan because that is the team that I grew up with. And I love the Texans as well. I feel absolutely no need to have to choose between the two simply because they play in the same state. They have met twice in last 8 years. I can root for both without detriment to the other.

That being said, I know more than a few Cowboys fans here in Houston who act arrogant towards Texans fans because of the Texans fans trying to make a rivalry out of something that is not there and displaying a "you must hate the Cowboys to be a true Texans fan" attitude.

Like someone else stated, Cowboys-Texans is a one-sided rivalry. Not from an elitist mentality, but the Eagles, Giants and Redskins are much more important to the Cowboys than a once-every-four-years game. Just like Titans, Jags and Colts should be paramount to Texans fans. But there is always the crowd around here with a hate the Cowboys above all others mentality.

Dutchrudder
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I think the real problem is that the term 'rivalry' has become ambiguous through the marketing campaigns seeking to draw more interest to otherwise irrelevant games; that is, irrelevant to other team's fans. The true rivalries that are still alive today exist in college football, where many the teams have history that goes back over 100 years. Their rivalries extend beyond football or general sports and go to collegiate academics as well. Their schools tell them that they are the best in all sorts of things, and that they should always hate X school because of past indiscretions. It's part of their culture and that's what makes it so great for Aggies/Longhorns, Buckeyes/Wolverines, Irish/Trojans, etc to play eachother each year.

There is a good reason why people care about the A&M/UT game much more than the Baylor/UT game each year, and it's because the rivalry is so much more than just a "We play you every year so you are my rival." Those games should be considered divisional opponents, but not a rivalry. That's not to say that the divisional groupings cannot produce a rivalry, but it's just that simply playing each other every year does not constitute a rivalry.

The only true 'rivalry' that may exist for the Texans is the Titans due to the history between the teams. Just like the Browns and Ravens were considered a rivalry this year when they played on MNF due to their history, I think the Texans/Titans may be elevated to this rivalry status. The Texans fanbase does seem to hate the Titans more so than any other team, except the Cowboys. There are plenty of reasons for them to hate the Titans given annual Vince Young arguments, the owner being a jackass and then there's that whole 'moving the team' thing... I think if we're going to look for a Texans rival the Titans would be our best start, unless they can get a schedule exception to play the Cowboys every year.

sandman
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I think the real problem is that the term 'rivalry' has become ambiguous through the marketing campaigns seeking to draw more interest to otherwise irrelevant games; that is, irrelevant to other team's fans. The true rivalries that are still alive today exist in college football, where many the teams have history that goes back over 100 years. Their rivalries extend beyond football or general sports and go to collegiate academics as well. Their schools tell them that they are the best in all sorts of things, and that they should always hate X school because of past indiscretions. It's part of their culture and that's what makes it so great for Aggies/Longhorns, Buckeyes/Wolverines, Irish/Trojans, etc to play eachother each year.

There is a good reason why people care about the A&M/UT game much more than the Baylor/UT game each year, and it's because the rivalry is so much more than just a "We play you every year so you are my rival." Those games should be considered divisional opponents, but not a rivalry. That's not to say that the divisional groupings cannot produce a rivalry, but it's just that simply playing each other every year does not constitute a rivalry.

The only true 'rivalry' that may exist for the Texans is the Titans due to the history between the teams. Just like the Browns and Ravens were considered a rivalry this year when they played on MNF due to their history, I think the Texans/Titans may be elevated to this rivalry status. The Texans fanbase does seem to hate the Titans more so than any other team, except the Cowboys. There are plenty of reasons for them to hate the Titans given annual Vince Young arguments, the owner being a jackass and then there's that whole 'moving the team' thing... I think if we're going to look for a Texans rival the Titans would be our best start, unless they can get a schedule exception to play the Cowboys every year.

I've only lived in Houston for 7 years. Help me understand why so many Texans fans hate the Cowboys. There is no history between the two teams. Is it just because the two teams are in the same state? Is it a city personality thing where Big D has always looked down its nose socially at Houston? Why is there not this same level of hate from Astros fans towards the Rangers? Mavs and Rockets I can understand because of divisional foes, but this hatred of all things Cowboys is mystifying to me.

Double Barrel
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
A "pre-season rivalry"??? :um:

Only the Texans marketing department can circle the wagons to make that delusion into a wonderful illusion.

HoustonFrog
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I've only lived in Houston for 7 years. Help me understand why so many Texans fans hate the Cowboys. There is no history between the two teams. Is it just because the two teams are in the same state? Is it a city personality thing where Big D has always looked down its nose socially at Houston? Why is there not this same level of hate from Astros fans towards the Rangers? Mavs and Rockets I can understand because of divisional foes, but this hatred of all things Cowboys is mystifying to me.

I've been trying to figure it out for 17 years and all I hear is "fans." Which I still don't get being a Cowboy fan and here. In a lifetime you only really get exposed to so many people in a fanbase. Many that cause problems are the same a-holes over and over that call shows, are on shows or that get mouthy in public. I think that is a small group for any base out there. By that same analogy I'd think Texans fans are a-holes because of what I hear on 610 and everywhere else towards the Cowboys. But I know differently by being here, etc. As I've said 100 times on here I grew up thinking the Oilers were a cool secondary team. People here did not grow up thinking the Cowboys were a team to root for...or they changed. In order for a majority of a fanbase to be that bad, you would need a massive sampling size, not some guys that talk in sports bars.....which would make anyone with another jersey on on ahole beause people like to talk. A perfect example that has me scratching my head is a station like 610. I don't listen to them much anymore...1560....but when I have they can spend multiple hours discussing their hate for all Dallas. Yet when a respectable Dallas guy comes on today and they try and bring it up it turns into a non-factor because people in Dallas don't talk Houston sports.

LonerATO
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I've been trying to figure it out for 17 years and all I hear is "fans." Which I still don't get being a Cowboy fan and here. In a lifetime you only really get exposed to so many people in a fanbase. Many that cause problems are the same a-holes over and over that call shows, are on shows or that get mouthy in public. I think that is a small group for any base out there. By that same analogy I'd think Texans fans are a-holes because of what I hear on 610 and everywhere else towards the Cowboys. But I know differently by being here, etc. As I've said 100 times on here I grew up thinking the Oilers were a cool secondary team. People here did not grow up thinking the Cowboys were a team to root for...or they changed. In order for a majority of a fanbase to be that bad, you would need a massive sampling size, not some guys that talk in sports bars.....which would make anyone with another jersey on on ahole beause people like to talk. A perfect example that has me scratching my head is a station like 610. I don't listen to them much anymore...1560....but when I have they can spend multiple hours discussing their hate for all Dallas. Yet when a respectable Dallas guy comes on today and they try and bring it up it turns into a non-factor because people in Dallas don't talk Houston sports.

I think its from the older crowd that grew up on an Oiler-Cowboys rivalry. I know I got mad when the Oilers left and people joined the Cowboys bandwagon and I know Houstonians that do not support the Texans at all and are Oilers fans that became Cowboy fans. Mavs were a joke and before Cuban bought them people looked past them. Rangers are the same as the Mavs until Ryan got into gm mode and helped turn that team around.

Dutchrudder
02-01-2010, 03:53 PM

I personally don't like the Cowboys, but not because of the fans. I only know a few Cowboys fans, but they aren't a-holes and they have good reason to be fans. I root against the Cowboys because they are the other Texas team and they are sometimes referred to as 'America's team', which imho is an undeserved title. I also don't like Jerry Jones due to the way he runs his team like a circus. He's almost as annoying as Brett Favre when it comes to attention whoring.

The only team I really despise due to their fans is Texas Tech. I have never come across such a poorly mannered group of people in my life. I've run into many of them during college and they are by far the worst fans. Even as an Aggie I prefer having longhorns in the stands over red raiders.

Texecutioner
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
This article is a joke. We're talking about fricking pre season match ups here. Give me a break.

The Texans have two true rivalries and that is with the Titans and the Jags. The Colts whoop our asses every year so that can't be a rivalry until Manning is gone. Lol!

We play the Jags pretty damn well from year to year though and it's back and forth a lot. We've started to play pretty well against the Titans finally and that used to be the Oilers, so those are true rivalries.

HoustonFrog
02-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I think its from the older crowd that grew up on an Oiler-Cowboys rivalry. I know I got mad when the Oilers left and people joined the Cowboys bandwagon and I know Houstonians that do not support the Texans at all and are Oilers fans that became Cowboy fans. Mavs were a joke and before Cuban bought them people looked past them. Rangers are the same as the Mavs until Ryan got into gm mode and helped turn that team around.

Yeah, believe me...growing up in the 70s on the Cowboys were the only game. The Mavs came in 80 and were good and mad eit to the Western Conf Finals and then fell apart and were a joke until Cuban. The Rangers made the playoffs twice and lost to the Yankees both times. Every year since I was a kid they had bats and needed pitching. That is still the case. They would have a Fergie Jenkins or Ryan but nothing else.

Thorn
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Actually it's quite simple. (1) during the olden days I put up with lots of Cowboy fans who (rightly) said the Cowboys were a real team and the Oilers never went to the big game. Also, the local media at times treats the Cowboys like they are the local team, instead of the Texans (or the Oilers when they were in town). So, I always hated the Cowboys because of that. (2) now days, I'm old and set in my ways. I grew up hating the Cowboys and it's to late to change that now.

Double Barrel
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I've only lived in Houston for 7 years. Help me understand why so many Texans fans hate the Cowboys. There is no history between the two teams.

Good questions, and ones that I have pondered this season as my son started watching football with me and asked the same question. He even pointed out that they are from Texas, so shouldn't we be rooting for them?

I did not have an honest answer that did not involve 1) I was raised that way, and 3) envy and jealousy.

There are really no other reasons, to be quite honest.

Yeah, the fans can be obnoxious, but I have found that to be the case with any team that experiences long-term success.

Perhaps it goes back to "the beginning", as least in my family. The NFL was going to expand to Houston back in 1960, and was making plans to play in Rice Stadium. Negotiations were stalled, however, when one Bud Adams - owner of the new AFL Houston Oilers - got involved and prevented a deal from being made between the NFL and Rice University.

This would have been the beginning of the Houston Cowboys. No joke.

Some say Adams used the local press to bad-mouth the Cowboys for years. The Oilers experienced success early in the AFL, and the Cowboys struggled for years.

I don't know what bearing it has on today's perceptions, but this might have been the bad blood experienced by my folks and passed down to me in the 1970's.

My own dislike for the Cowboys goes back to the 1970's, when we had Luv Ya Blue but always got stopped by the Steelers (well, for two years at least). The Cowboys would make it to the Super Bowl and lose to those Steelers, but the Cowboys fans in Houston were a mighty obnoxious bunch...at least the ones I went to school with and the ones in my family. There was an inferiority complex that was inherent to being an Oilers fan, and this was made even worse when local Cowboys fans constantly rubbed it in the faces of Oilers fan. I was raise that these Houstonians were turncoats, traitors of the worst kind.

And that is the origin of my own dislike of the Cowboys.

Since then, however, we have had our Oilers jerked away from us and basically retired from existence. Yeah yeah, franchise records yada yada yada Titans whatever blah blah blah, but the Houston Oilers no longer exist except in our collective memories and NFL Films. This action by one jerk of an owner caused me more real bad feelings than anything I have ever felt in terms of sports teams, and it is no doubt that my dislike for Bud Adams/Tennessee Titans has completely eclipsed any perceived 'hatred' I had for the Cowboys.

Now I'm pretty apathetic about the Cowboys. I just don't care.

Actually it's quite simple. (1) during the olden days I put up with lots of Cowboy fans who (rightly) said the Cowboys were a real team and the Oilers never went to the big game. Also, the local media at times treats the Cowboys like they are the local team, instead of the Texans (or the Oilers when they were in town). So, I always hated the Cowboys because of that. (2) now days, I'm old and set in my ways. I grew up hating the Cowboys and it's to late to change that now.

This is me, as well. I'm in the groove of disliking the Cowboys, much like the Longhorns or Yankees, so it is more of a habit than anything else.

I'm not so sure, though, about passing that feeling down to the next generation. What positive does it achieve? None if you're honest about it.

sandman
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Good questions, and ones that I have pondered this season as my son started watching football with me and asked the same question. He even pointed out that they are from Texas, so shouldn't we be rooting for them?

I did not have an honest answer that did not involve 1) I was raised that way, and 3) envy and jealousy.

Yeah, the fans can be obnoxious, but I have found that to be the case with any team that experiences long-term success.

Perhaps it goes back to "the beginning", as least in my family. The NFL was going to expand to Houston back in 1960, and was making plans to play in Rice Stadium. Negotiations were stalled, however, when one Bud Adams - owner of the new AFL Houston Oilers - got involved and prevented a deal from being made between the NFL and Rice University.

Some say Adams used the local press to bad-mouth the Cowboys for years. The Oilers experienced success early in the AFL, and the Cowboys struggled for years.

I don't know what bearing it has on today's perceptions, but this might have been the bad blood experienced by my folks and passed down to me in the 1970's.

My own dislike for the Cowboys goes back to the 1970's, when we had Luv Ya Blue but always got stopped by the Steelers (well, for two years at least). The Cowboys would make it to the Super Bowl and lose to those Steelers, but the Cowboys fans in Houston were a mighty obnoxious bunch...at least the ones I went to school with and the ones in my family. There was an inferiority complex that was inherent to being an Oilers fan, and this was made even worse when local Cowboys fans constantly rubbed it in the faces of Oilers fan. I was raise that these Houstonians were turncoats, traitors of the worst kind.

Since then, however, we have had our Oilers jerked away from us and basically retired from existence. Yeah yeah, franchise records yada yada yada Titans whatever blah blah blah, but the Houston Oilers no longer exist except in our collective memories and NFL Films. This action by one jerk of an owner caused me more real bad feelings than anything I have ever felt in terms of sports teams, and it is no doubt that my dislike for Bud Adams/Tennessee Titans has completely eclipsed any perceived 'hatred' I had for the Cowboys.

This is me, as well. I'm in the groove of disliking the Cowboys, much like the Longhorns or Yankees, so it is more of a habit than anything else.

I'm not so sure, though, about passing that feeling down to the next generation. What positive does it achieve? None if you're honest about it.

Excellent thoughts. Maybe it was because I was from SA and not DFW, but growing up, loving the Cowboys never meant hating the Oilers. Same thing for me with colleges. I always root for A&M unless they are playing the 'Horns.

I just can't hate fellow Texans that much. Unless they live in Lubbock...

tex-sky
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Regional rivalries are good. Now start an annual A&M/LSU game in Houston

SheTexan
02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Read this entire thread and MAYBE you will understand why some of us hate Cowboy fans so much. The thread was started talking about a marketing rivalry between the Texans and the Saints!! LOW and behold, it becomes ANOTHER forum for our resident Cowboy fans to spout their love for their team, and dog the rest of us because they "just don't understand" why we hate the Cowboys so much. Seems like we can't have a thread anymore without Cowboy fans making it all about their glorious Cowboys! I'm about fed up with it all!

As for a Texan/Saints rivalry, all I have to say is BORING!!!!! But, I guess, other than the Cowboys, they are the closest NFL team to us, they get the nod. I really don't care. My NFL HATE goes to the Titans first, Cowboys second, and NO Saints third. So, there ya go!!!! It's personal, call it what ya want!

HoustonFrog
02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Read this entire thread and MAYBE you will understand why some of us hate Cowboy fans so much. The thread was started talking about a marketing rivalry between the Texans and the Saints!! LOW and behold, it becomes ANOTHER forum for our resident Cowboy fans to spout their love for their team, and dog the rest of us because they "just don't understand" why we hate the Cowboys so much. Seems like we can't have a thread anymore without Cowboy fans making it all about their glorious Cowboys! I'm about fed up with it all!

As for a Texan/Saints rivalry, all I have to say is BORING!!!!! But, I guess, other than the Cowboys, they are the closest NFL team to us, they get the nod. I really don't care. My NFL HATE goes to the Titans first, Cowboys second, and NO Saints third. So, there ya go!!!! It's personal, call it what ya want!

Sorry SheTexan but you are wrong....and to tell you the truth, you've been quite over the top with your hate lately. Really something I've never seen in you before and a surprise. No Cowboy fans brought them up. 99% of the first page is Texans fans saying that the Cowboys aren't a rivalry. The OP brought up a rivalry with the Cowboys. All Cowboys fans here did was agree with others that it wasn't. Then someone asked about Cowboy hate. Everyone that responded did so repsectfully and with no animosity...maturely. It followed the progression. Your post was the only negative one. I'm fed up with fans making these things out to be bigger than they are. Honestly, most Cowboy talk in here is just random throw aways where people can't just help themselves and throw out unnecessary b.s.

Here is an example of how this goes on boards. Read this thread about Pierre Garcon and get to post #6...where were they mentioned?

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=16485&page=1

It used to be I came here to talk football in general and Texans. I never use to remember Cowboy subjects. Over the last 2 years it has gotten horrible with nothing but unnecessary barbs.

DB, thanks for the well thought out post. Makes alot of sense. As I've said before, I grew up where I cheered for the Oilers up there in the 70s because of a common enemy, and had a brother at UT when Earl was there and loved him...and I thought cheering for the other Texas team was cool.

HOU-TEX
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM

This is practically spot on, DB. Good post!

b0ng
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM

I would say that the Titans players don't consider the Texans peers in the workplace but you can tell that both sides get extremely emotional during the games that are played.

EDIT: You would think the Jags would be the Texans true rival since the record is more even but I don't see any trash talk grace the headlines or fisticuffs breaking out when the two teams meet.

GuerillaBlack
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Regional rivalries are good. Now start an annual A&M/LSU game in Houston.

This would be good.

The Pencil Neck
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM

A lot of this isn't about the Texans and the Cowboys but about the Oilers and the Cowboys.

When I was a kid, there were a lot of Cowboy fans from Houston that were arrogant and a-holes. They were proud of being "America's Team" and always gave us crap about it, about being fans of a team that sucked. I think most of them were bandwagoners who were Cowboy fans because the Cowboys were winners in the late 60's-70's. So, in general, I don't like the Cowboys.

I was an Oiler fan through the 1-13 seasons. I don't have a lot of time for people who are only fans of whatever team is winning that year.

barrett
02-03-2010, 01:30 AM
It's not every day that a team is able to sign a 26 year old Pro Bowl quality contract to a 2nd tier deal without giving up any compensation. That may have had something to do with the success. Basically, it's the equivalent of us not trading for Schaub but just simply signing him to his deal last season after he had 2 full seasons with another team and looked really good.

They deserve the credit, though, because they took an enormous risk with his "bad"shoulder and it really has payed off. Brees was only 26 or Schaub was? Or both?

I'm drunk right now but, man!... the font on a mac is awesome!

RazorOye
02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Yep

Saint fans in Houston are called Katrina victims.

Can you victims please go home.

no, we aren't

I am a Saints fan and lived in Houston for a few years. I taught a lot of high school kids in my years in Houston - and received a couple of significant district awards for my efforts and, to this day, still receive almost daily emails, texts, etc from former students who were complimentary of my work.

I did everything that any other fan/asset for Houston/Texans did, even though I am a Saints fan. I'd like to think I left a few lives in Houston a bit better and a few students smarter from the time I got there until I left. But perhaps that's just my egocentricity talking... I dunno.

But just because you see someone sporting a fleur-de-lis on their shirt doesn't mean that they are some excon welfare-dependent Katrina castoff FEMA abusers here to leech of the city's generosity and whose fandom is of the bandwagon variety.

You promise not to make such ignorant assumptions about Saints fans, when I see you sporting your Battle Red, I promise not to assume that you're some hill country racist redneck dropout monosyllabic cowboy.

Deal?

LonerATO
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
no, we aren't

I am a Saints fan and lived in Houston for a few years. I taught a lot of high school kids in my years in Houston - and received a couple of significant district awards for my efforts and, to this day, still receive almost daily emails, texts, etc from former students who were complimentary of my work.

I did everything that any other fan/asset for Houston/Texans did, even though I am a Saints fan. I'd like to think I left a few lives in Houston a bit better and a few students smarter from the time I got there until I left. But perhaps that's just my egocentricity talking... I dunno.

But just because you see someone sporting a fleur-de-lis on their shirt doesn't mean that they are some excon welfare-dependent Katrina castoff FEMA abusers here to leech of the city's generosity and whose fandom is of the bandwagon variety.

You promise not to make such ignorant assumptions about Saints fans, when I see you sporting your Battle Red, I promise not to assume that you're some hill country racist redneck dropout monosyllabic cowboy.

Deal?

I have actually met more rednecks in Louisiana then I have in Texas, but I think you guys call them Cajuns.

RazorOye
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I have actually met more rednecks in Louisiana then I have in Texas, but I think you guys call them Cajuns.

actually, I call them family :)

GuerillaBlack
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Lol, nicely done.

houstonspartan
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
no, we aren't

Deal?

I like this. I've actually met a lot of really cool people from New Orleans that decided to settle down here.

LonerATO
02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
actually, I call them family :)

LOL nice

rush2112mn
02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Who cares about preseason....I do not consider them "rivals" per say...we only play them in regular season once every 4 years....A rival in my book is someone like Indy Tenn or Jacksonville.....in the South......

SteveSlaton20
02-06-2010, 07:08 PM

disappointed, thought it was going to be in the season, not preseason.

N.O.TexanFan
02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I would love for this to happen if it was an annual regular season game. You cant have a rivalry with a team you only play in the preseason or play every few years.

The proximity of the two teams would make a great road trip for both teams fans. I would love to have something to talk alot of smack about each year to all my neighbors, but until then it s hard to get excited about preseason.