PDA

View Full Version : What is Dunta worth?

Big Lou
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
So during the season I was bashing the hell out of Dunta. After the hold out, he needed to play at a high level to even remotely stay in my good graces. (Not that he gives a crap, he made $10 mil last year!!!) I'll be honest DR probably would have needed 8 picks this year to shut me up.

Although I'm still not exactly pleased with him, as all players do he has some value to the team. If, and that's if he comes back for a reasonable salary and does his best, regardless of what that is, I would forgive him. (Once again I don't think he really cares about my opinion.) Everyone makes mistakes, and he seems to have been humbled, which I can respect.

My other conditions for forgiveness would be that he respect what ever the team does with him, whether he starts, is a back up, or is the nickel corner, NO WHINNING PERIOD.

So if he plays nice, does a decent job, and signs for say $3 mil a year (Like maybe a 4 year deal, average of $3 mil with incentives.) I wouldn't complain about seeing him in Deep Steel Blue, Battle Red, and Liberty White.

I don't see him doing this, even though he seems to be humbled, I would imagine he will go with the money over loyalty regardless of what he says. Obviousley I have no way of knowing, but although I think it's obvious he knows he's not a $10,000,000 CB, I think he sees himself as a $7 million dollar type talent. So I just can't imagine anything bieng hammered out.

What say you, what would you sign DR for?????

Carr Bombed
01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
I do not want to pay him like a #1 corner, because he is not a legit NFL #1 corner.......however that is what he's going to want to be paid as. It's a catch 22. Do we overpay for a veteran corner (drastically overpay) or do we move on with a rookie?

I don't like the idea of moving on with a rookie corner when so much is on the line next year, but I hate the idea of overpaying for a overrated corner even more. So I say if this guy wants to be paid like a top corner then the Texans need to just move on.

Goatcheese
01-31-2010, 12:12 AM
$7+ million is what above average corners have been signing for the last 2 years. It's just an expensive position right now, and unless you want to start a couple of bums or roll the dice on rookies you're going to pay through the nose. That's just the way it is.

Reeves was horrible in Dallass and still got $4 mil per year from us. D-Rob will most likely get the $7-8 mil a year contract he wants somewhere.

Norg
01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Play isnt that good and we need Strong Play from our secondary we play colts twice cut him and lets move on

Thorn
01-31-2010, 06:03 AM
I don't much care for Dunta either, but he's good enough to be a starting corner in the Texans secondary and good enough to probably start on some NFL teams.

I've said this before and will say it again, until we replace him with someone better we need him. But he ain't worth what he's getting paid this year.

Hervoyel
01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I see no sixth option. It should read "Ham Sammich".

I'd pick that one.

redwhiteANDblue
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
What's Dunta worth? Probably the lint thats in my pocket. Haha couldn't resist. Anyways, idc what happens but Quinn should be paid more than Dunta:runaway:

Jackie Chiles
01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
I just don't see how this FO and coaching staff are going to let him walk and rely on an unproven CB or two going into a season with so much on the line. I also believe the FO values Dunta and what he brings to the table more than the fans. I doubt they value him as highly as he values himself. If he signs a long term deal with us I hope its reasonable but I'm quite positive it would be for significantly more than the fans want to see. I won't be surprised to see him franchised again.

TheRealJoker
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Dunta is worth top # 2 CB money, because that's what he is...

However, I think the Texans will offer him another Gamble-esque contract and he'll gladly take it because he has proven to himself that he does not deserve that type of money. Which is why he says he'd be fine stealing from Mcnair by getting franchise tagged again.

Texecutioner
01-31-2010, 07:14 PM
I voted "around 3 Million or so". He's not a great corner. He's a decent corner. That's what you would pay a guy that brings what he does or at least what you should pay value wise. If the Texans signed him to a contract paying 3 Mill or so a year I'd be fine with that.

Big Poundcake
01-31-2010, 07:14 PM
I just hope the Texans resign him.

Big Lou
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm wondering if he'll improve any compared to what he did last year. He was out of football for a while after what can only be called severe injury.

ColdTexan17
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree, he needed to put up or shut up. He was fair on the run but I was not impressed with his pass defense. I like the quinn kid alot I think he can step in as a starter but him and reeves staring still worries me. But all this talk about building a better defense, what if we just add to our offense and make it even more productive. We could give up more points if we scored more.

thunderkyss
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm wondering if he'll improve any compared to what he did last year. He was out of football for a while after what can only be called severe injury.

Near the end of the season, he started to step up in run support, & making those tackles he used to make all the time. I believe if he had been given a long term contract early in the year, he would have stepped it up, & improved his game all year long. As it was, I think he was worried about getting hurt, with out a long term deal.

That being said, I've never thought of him as a cover corner. & though he got beat at times, he played pretty well all season long. I still wouldn't offer him top corner money, I don't know that I would have started him all year like the Texans did, so I don't know what's going on there.

Yes, I believe Reeves can play as well as Dunta did this year, so I wouldn't feel too bad if the Texans let Dunta walk, & sign a true starter in the first... Or, let him walk, and bring in a play making FS... moving Reeves up to starter.

I think Glover Quinn is going to be very good in this league, but we've seen that before on this team. So we'll see.

GP
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
He's done here.

Scrap the sentimental journey stuff already.

Thanks for the memories. Most of which were good, and a small amount of which were not (the holdout and the crying over it).

You can play nickel for us if you're interested.

GP
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I see no sixth option. It should read "Ham Sammich".

I'd pick that one.

Agreed. You and Lucky are my favorite moderators, btw.

TimeKiller
02-01-2010, 07:56 AM
what's Reeves getting?

I'd give him that.

Joe Texan
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Pay Me Rick embarrassed to franchise last season

League Minimum not a penny more

HuttoKarl
02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Kick in the tenders.

Trail.Blazr
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a feeling that he truly would like an opportunity to play elsewhere, to which I'd be content to see... preferably somewhere in our division so we can take advantage of him.

I have given up on him being a value to this team that compares to what he once was. I'd much rather see him go, vs. become more of a distraction between now and next September, only to play at the decent level of play he showed in 2009.

His upside is by far shadowed by his downside. He's proven to be an "I" type player, which I feel is more detrimental than any of the good you saw this past year, thus, expendable commodity.

DeMarCushPoll
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, we need him this season. I know he's not the shutdown corner we all hoped he would be but he's probably better than any rookie at least for the first year anyway. And with the un-caped year/free agent rules, we may be hard pressed to find anyone decent in FA. We need to keep him for one more year, draft a CB and give him some time to develop and then cut ties with Dunta for good. IMO

tex-sky
02-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I am so confused!!!! Did Dunta have a good year? We say no, but the media says yes!!

I would sign him for #2 CB money. Keep Reeves at nickel. Move Glover Quin to FS. Sign/draft a #1.

Hervoyel
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Ham

Sammich

Goatcheese
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Ham

Sammich

Don't hate on the value of Sandvich!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfzUZNXRbE

http://s3-llnw-screenshots.wegame.com/9-9517327827455803/9517327827455803_l.jpg

imatexan
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I am so confused!!!! Did Dunta have a good year? We say no, but the media says yes!!

I would sign him for #2 CB money. Keep Reeves at nickel. Move Glover Quin to FS. Sign/draft a #1.

He had a decent year.

The number that makes the difference is many fans eyes is that he had no interceptions.

BigBull17
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM

He seemed to make one bone head play for every good play. I will always remember him acting like he made a huge play vs Addai, p;atting himself on the back for ten minutes, and getting burned for 30 yards the next play cause he wasn't in position.

HuttoKarl
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
He had a decent year.

The number that makes the difference is many fans eyes is that he had no interceptions.

And the ten yard cushion he gives WR's to catch the ball.

And his whopping (sarcasm) 9 PD's.

Goatcheese
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
He seemed to make one bone head play for every good play. I will always remember him acting like he made a huge play vs Addai, p;atting himself on the back for ten minutes, and getting burned for 30 yards the next play cause he wasn't in position.

Indianapolis Colts at 11:14
1-10-IND 11 (11:14) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short middle to 29-J.Addai to IND 15 for 4 yards (23-Du.Robinson).

2-6-IND 15 (10:56) 18-P.Manning pass deep middle to 17-A.Collie to IND 46 for 31 yards (40-J.Busing).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009112903/2009/REG12/colts@texans/analyze/box-score#tab:watch/contentId:09000d5d8149b158

Don't let little things like facts get in the way of a good argument. :rolleyes: