PDA

View Full Version : NT Hampton doesn't want the franchise tag

Wolf
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. The Steelers want Casey Hampton, an unrestricted free agent, to return to the team. The Pro Bowl nose tackle wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

How the two sides arrive at that common ground is where it gets a little complicated and potentially messy.

Hampton said Friday "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag and offer him a one-year contract instead of signing the accomplished veteran to a multi-year deal.

"You say we're family, and you'll take care of me. All I've done for this organization, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

A franchise tag would essentially prevent Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

Hampton didn't elaborate when asked if he would skip offseason practices most of which are voluntary or hold out of training camp should the Steelers use a franchise tag on him.

"It will be an issue," he said. "I told (the Steelers) that.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_664811.html

gary
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
if there isn't any deal done by March 5th bring him in Rick.

steelbtexan
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
if there isn't any deal done by March 5th bring him in Rick.

Ditto

gary
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
He'll probably be tagged though because it is not about what he wants.

ChampionTexan
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
The Steelers have indicated that retaining Hampton and Ryan Clark (Safety) are their top two priorities of the off-season.

The majority of players don't want to be franchised (See D-Rob), and the majority of those players don't have a problem making that position known (See Vince Wilfork who used the exact same "Slap in the face" description in regard to being franchised). It's bluster, hot air, and completely meaningless. But, it's the only thing a player who's got absolutely no leverage can do under the circumstances.

Any franchise that allows a player they want to keep to leave for nothing, or increase their market value by letting them test free agency, is moronic if the franchise/transition tag is available. Pittsburgh's not moronic. Casey Hampton will be back with the Steelers - LT deal, or franchised, he'll be there in 2010.

gary
01-30-2010, 03:05 PM
The Steelers have indicated that retaining Hampton and Ryan Clark (Safety) are their top two priorities of the off-season.

The majority of players don't want to be franchised (See D-Rob), and the majority of those players don't have a problem making that position known (See Vince Wilfork who used the exact same "Slap in the face" description in regard to being franchised). It's bluster, hot air, and completely meaningless. But, it's the only thing a player who's got absolutely no leverage can do under the circumstances.

Any franchise that allows a player they want to keep to leave for nothing, or increase their market value by letting them test free agency, is moronic if the franchise/transition tag is available. Pittsburgh's not moronic. Casey Hampton will be back with the Steelers - LT deal, or franchised, he'll be there in 2010.Right.