PDA

View Full Version : NFL's biggest joke about to be exposed

Wolf
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Not since Tony Montana arrived in the Mariel Boatlift has Miami welcomed such an unredeemed entity.

Say hello to my very, very little friend: the 2010 Pro Bowl.

The weakest, lamest, least compelling of all All-Star games, the Pro Bowl has long been a pimple carefully hidden on the NFLís posterior (after the season, off the mainland).

Then some braniac thought, What if we could move it to the middle of our forehead?

Yes, Roger Goodell has yanked the Pro Bowl out of the witness protection program -- where it belongs -- and placed it center stage in Miami on the Sunday between the conference title games and the Super Bowl.

Sure, an event that is supposed to showcase the most talented players in the sport wonít feature anyone from either of the two most talented teams in the league, but why nitpick?

Who knows, maybe the All-Pros on the Colts (7) and Saints (7) used the lure of having a built-in excuse to miss this goofy exhibition as motivation in their playoff runs. Though they wonít be playing, the 14 Pro Bowlers on the Super Bowl teams will be required to be in the stadium the night of the game or forfeit their Pro Bowl checks. Yep, the league has to bribe its own players to watch this game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfls-biggest-joke-about-to-be-exposed

WWJD
01-29-2010, 08:28 AM
I saw this article on MSN and laughed thru most of it.

I didn't realize they were making the guys playing in the Super Bowl go to the game.

And why would they get a check if they don't play? That doesn't seem right..people losing their homes and jobs and they're paying guys for a game they aren't even going to play in.

This is so messed up. Give em a plaque and be done with it.

GuerillaBlack
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
This is easily the most buzz the Pro Bowl has ever gotten.

Dread-Head
01-29-2010, 03:20 PM
This year's probowl reminds me of a John C Reily movie I snook into...

"Suck Hard....Hard...that's their creed...their code...". Much like the character in that movie the commissioner has no sense of smell so he doesn't know how much this stinks.

GP
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
The Pro Bowl should be done away with.

It's purpose was contained to an era of time when players wanted to get the best and play the best, to see who was the best. Guys wanted to make money playing in the NFL, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't the sort of business that it is now.

With they way the NFL is, today, it is completely out-of-place because no player wants to blow a knee in a meaningless game. You don't risk your career for a novelty game.

Add to it the issue of it not even containing the originally-voted-upon players, because they are playing in the Super Bowl, and it's just a farce. What's the point of voting for players who might not even play in the game?

It needs to be retired.

I will say this, though: I will watch it because it's now a game we can see BEFORE the last game we will see (The Super Bowl). So it's got my attention now, unlike when it was after the Super Bowl and in Hawaii which just made me jealous that they were in Hawaii. LOL.

Vinny
01-30-2010, 07:29 PM
This is easily the most buzz the Pro Bowl has ever gotten.
yeah, amazing how many people are crying and whining about the game this year.

GP
01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
yeah, amazing how many people are crying and whining about the game this year.

Question for Vinny:

Do you think the concept of the Pro Bowl is lost upon this generation of players?

We see the NBA All-Star Game and how it's become sort of an inside joke; I mean, let's face it...it's just a bunch of guys goofing around while the veterans try all game to play their veteran opponents like it IS a real game.

Is the Pro Bowl outdated? Is it antiquated?

Vinny
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Question for Vinny:

Do you think the concept of the Pro Bowl is lost upon this generation of players?

We see the NBA All-Star Game and how it's become sort of an inside joke; I mean, let's face it...it's just a bunch of guys goofing around while the veterans try all game to play their veteran opponents like it IS a real game.

Is the Pro Bowl outdated? Is it antiquated?
it's just an all star game. I don't think it is any more outdated than it was back in 1979, except the winners get paid more. Some will cherish the trip, some enjoy the extra face time in a sport where you wear a helmet and are largely anonymous except for the superstar skill guys...some guys don't give an eff, but that's how it's always been. Frankly I think moving it to this week was a brilliant move. There is spirited talk about the SB amongst the players, spirits are high based on the NFLnetwork live coverage of practice and I'm more interested in the game this year as a fan since its actually during the season and the team is loaded with Texans. I kinda think it's more positive this year outside of this weird bitching and moaning I see in the media and on things like message boards.

Texan4Ever
01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
The Pro Bowl should be rid of, it has lost its luster and if we want to recognize star players then leave the All-Pro selection open to choaches and other voters but not fans, that way the truely best players will get selected and honored.

houstonspartan
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
it's just an all star game. I don't think it is any more outdated than it was back in 1979, except the winners get paid more. Some will cherish the trip, some enjoy the extra face time in a sport where you wear a helmet and are largely anonymous except for the superstar skill guys...some guys don't give an eff, but that's how it's always been. Frankly I think moving it to this week was a brilliant move. There is spirited talk about the SB amongst the players, spirits are high based on the NFLnetwork live coverage of practice and I'm more interested in the game this year as a fan since its actually during the season and the team is loaded with Texans. I kinda think it's more positive this year outside of this weird bitching and moaning I see in the media and on things like message boards.

I just think there's too much at stake as an NFL player these days. The guys are much bigger than they were in 1979, and the sport was more violent, and, as you pointed out, there's a lot of money involved. Not just the bonuses of playing in the actual game, but the potential loss of tens of millions of dollars should one get injured.

I was happy that Cushing was selected, because he deserved the recognition, but I was even happier that he changed his mind about playing. I'd rather have him rested and ready to roll in September.

Personally, I could take or leave the Pro Bowl. I don't think I've ever really watched the game, so I won't miss it if it goes away.

GuerillaBlack
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Change the name to the NFL All-Star Game.

Watch the stocks rise.

Vinny
01-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I just think there's too much at stake as an NFL player these days. The guys are much bigger than they were in 1979, and the sport was more violent, and, as you pointed out, there's a lot of money involved. Not just the bonuses of playing in the actual game, but the potential loss of tens of millions of dollars should one get injured.

I was happy that Cushing was selected, because he deserved the recognition, but I was even happier that he changed his mind about playing. I'd rather have him rested and ready to roll in September.

Personally, I could take or leave the Pro Bowl. I don't think I've ever really watched the game, so I won't miss it if it goes away.
Earl Campbell would run over any of these newer bigger players you speak of. Robert Brazille was 6'3" and 250. Things haven't changed that much and you can't tell me that Jack Tatum couldn't play today at his unevolved size. If anything the league was tougher back then. Nobody will play full speed Sunday just like nobody played full speed back then. It's the same game. I don't know why people are crying so much about it this year other than the fact that it's easy to whine on the internet.

Thorn
01-31-2010, 06:14 AM
meh....I've got other things to do today. I might have it on my TV if I need to sleep to something this afternoon. But I will DVR it so I can fast forward through the plays to watch any Texans players. Which is pretty much my reaction to all the pro bowls in the past as well.

All star games are a waste of time for any sport in my opinion, other than to make money for the league and the players.

Heath Shuler
01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
McKinnie flagged for too much partying
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/83176727.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsr
The Vikings left tackle was dismissed from the NFC team Saturday, capping a week in which the first-time Pro Bowl selection embarrassed himself, the Vikings and the league by blowing off his Pro Bowl responsibilities by day and tweeting up his well-documented partying exploits by night.
Scheduled to play right tackle in Sunday night's game, McKinnie leaves the NFC team with the Eagles' Jason Peters and the Giants' David Diehl as the only tackles. Needless to say, McKinnie's Pro Bowl teammates weren't happy that Big Mac openly partied while skipping three of the four practices, the team photo and all but the first meeting Tuesday night. None of the absences was excused, meaning McKinnie is subject to a league fine and will forfeit his game check of either $45,000 for an NFC win or $22,500 for a loss.

b0ng
01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Earl Campbell would run over any of these newer bigger players you speak of. Robert Brazille was 6'3" and 250. Things haven't changed that much and you can't tell me that Jack Tatum couldn't play today at his unevolved size. If anything the league was tougher back then. Nobody will play full speed Sunday just like nobody played full speed back then. It's the same game. I don't know why people are crying so much about it this year other than the fact that it's easy to whine on the internet.

The reason Jack Tatum wouldn't be able to play in today's game is because he can't take off the heads of wideouts after 5 yards.

The brilliance of the PB being the week before the superbowl will be shown when our own beloved Texas native Vince Young comes out to handoff to CJ for a quarter or two.

GP
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Here's my review:

Positives:

1. I watched the Pro Bowl because I was not in "off-season mode" due to the Pro Bowl normally being on a Sunday afternoon after the Super Bowl.

2. There was more of an NFL-type environment with the game being held in Miami than in Hawaii. There just was. The crowd was noisy and in Hawaii they'd do a crowd shot and everyone is sitting still and acting like they were waiting in line at the DMV.

3. Vince Young couldn't complete a simple pass to his own running back. And VY almost got picked off on a very weakly-thrown pass shortly after that. I hope he plays like this in preseason, because he'll have another meltdown and the team will be done with him. Chris Johnson makes him look good.

Negatives:

1. The rules are so dumb. No blitzing. No plastering the QB once you are behind his field of vision, or whatever the crap it is. No bump-and-run coverage on WRs. OK, OK...we get it: Nobody wants to get hurt.

2. So the result is this: It's a scrimmage. I enjoyed watching Aaron Rodgers get fake-sacked at least two times and then throw a bomb on each of those plays that ends up getting caught. Stoopid, IMO. Aaron was toast on a paper plate on those two plays, but hey! It's the Pro Bowl.

3. But GP, you're just whining. It was good to see a game, and it was great to see the Texans play in a game. Yes. I agree. DeMeco didn't get the memo about how you're supposed to limp-wrist tackle the ball carrier. Good for him. And I definitely enjoyed watching Schaub and AJ operate like clockwork out there. Overall, though, I was done with the game after Rodgers threw a bomb to Steve Smith when he easily was fake-sacked. Done. Finished. Out.

GP
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Just make it a Skills Competition and drop the "game" aspect of it. A Skills Competition showcases the players, and they get to walk around chuckle and glad-hand their fellow 'Bowlers and such. Bring out the fans and let them put on pads and try to get past Wilfork, etc.

Make it a total P.R. function for the NFL.

But for me, it's a sham to say that the Pro Bowl g-a-m-e is a "game."

Sorry, but it isn't a "game." It's a glorified scrimmage.

houstonspartan
01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Just make it a Skills Competition and drop the "game" aspect of it. A Skills Competition showcases the players, and they get to walk around chuckle and glad-hand their fellow 'Bowlers and such. Bring out the fans and let them put on pads and try to get past Wilfork, etc.

Make it a total P.R. function for the NFL.

But for me, it's a sham to say that the Pro Bowl g-a-m-e is a "game."

Sorry, but it isn't a "game." It's a glorified scrimmage.

Yeah. I hadn't watched a pro-bowl in years, but watched this one on and off. When I saw how the players were "tackling" I was like, "Um, yeah. Ok." I'm surprised the players we'rent holding hands and skipping down the field. lol.

Still, it was good to see our boys looking good, though.

GP
01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah. I hadn't watched a pro-bowl in years, but watched this one on and off. When I saw how the players were "tackling" I was like, "Um, yeah. Ok." I'm surprised the players we'rent holding hands and skipping down the field. lol.

Still, it was good to see our boys looking good, though.

I seriously LOL'd at that comment. Good mental image, IMO.

DeMeco was having none of that. I just sat there and laughed at how you could tell by the cracking of the pads, on a tackle, that it was DeMeco making the tackle.

Otherwise, ball carriers were being kindly assisted out of bounds...or they were being gently lowered to the ground if they couldn't get them out of bounds. Boy Scout stuff, trying to earn a badge. Pretty funny to watch.

Watching Schaub and AJ torch everyone was awesome. Wayyy awesome!

Double Barrel
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I posted this in the other Pro Bowl thread. Thought it should be mentioned here, as well:

ESPN, NFL Crow About Pro Bowl Ratings (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/01/espn-nfl-crow-about-pro-bowl-ratings/)

The Pro Bowl is, as we've all heard millions of times, a meaningless exhibition that no one cares about.

But the folks from ESPN and the NFL are boasting in the Super Bowl media center on Monday that a few people do care about the Pro Bowl. Actually, more than a few.

The numbers are in from Sunday night's game, and the Pro Bowl broadcast did a 7.9 overnight rating, which is 39 percent higher than the rating the Pro Bowl got on NBC last year. By way of comparison, that's a better rating than the Orange Bowl or the final round of last year's PGA Championship. It also dwarfs the 4.4 overnight rating that Sunday's Lakers-Celtics game got on ABC.

Exactly. I love watching it as a kid, especially with all the different helmets and seeing players that I never got to see with the limited coverage we had back then.

I stopped watching because I forgot about it. Football season is over after the Super Bowl, so my spring schedule would kick in and I'd just forget they were even playing the game.

I think it is great for the NFL to have it the week before the Super Bowl. Watching all the players laugh and have fun was good for younger fans. My son really enjoyed it, especially when he sees our Texans players having fun with Titans players. He asked why are they smiling when they hate each other, and I had to explain what a rivalry is and that players do not hate each other for the most part. Competition brings out the aggression, but at the end of the day, they are all part of a rather elite fraternity.

He enjoyed the game for what it exists for, to be entertained. That is what the NFL was after, and it is obvious that the move to the week before the Super Bowl was pretty smart. I doubt they change it back to after the Super Bowl, even with the absence of the Pro Bowlers who will play in the championship game.