PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jones

JB
01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Would we be interseted in bringing this guy in?

From rumour central...

More evidence why Jones could go
10:23
AM ETThomas Jones | Jets | Interested: Chargers?, Texans? Jones in his 30s
2008 (30 years old): 290 carries, 1,312 yards, 13 TD. 36 receptions, 207 yards, 2 TD. 2009 (31 years old): 331 carries, 1,402 yards, 14 TD. 10 receptions, 58 yards. Thomas Jones has been the exception to the age-old wisdom regarding NFL running backs in old age. Most backs start declining at age 30, but in his age 30 season (2008) and age 31 season (2009), he's had arguably his greatest campaigns.

So why in the world would the New York Jets be weighing whether or not to let him walk in free agency? That's the subject of debate right now, and in conversations with a few Jets beat writers this past weekend, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indianapolis Star has gotten the sense that the team might do just that. With the Jets' season-ending loss on Sunday, that feeling will only intensify. Jones is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 1, and rookie Shonn Greene answered the call nicely down the stretch of the regular season and in the playoffs.

The Jets should also have Leon Washington back next season, giving them a shifty back to pair with Greene. If Jones is not retained, we could see him getting some interest from the Chargers and Texans, both of whom will need a between-the-tackles back for 2010.

Update: Jones was "conspicuously absent in the locker room" on Monday, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News. Interesting ...

Hervoyel
01-26-2010, 12:49 PM
No. I would not want to see the Texans sign him. I think he has done pretty much what he's going to do and now he'll settle back into a not particularly exciting last contract with somebody if the Jets cut him loose.

We'll probably jump on and overpay though. The Texans would try and demonstrate that they learned their lesson low-balling Cedric Benson a couple of years back but instead would just show the world that they didn't learn their lesson signing Ahman Green. The time to take a flyer on Thomas Jones was when the Bears signed him, not now.

DiehardChris
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
He had his best years because the Jets have a DOMINANT offensive line.

HOU-TEX
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
He had his best years because the Jets have a DOMINANT offensive line.

That's for dadgum sure! Don't they have like 3-4 first rounders along the line? Awesome!

infantrycak
01-26-2010, 01:17 PM
That's for dadgum sure! Don't they have like 3-4 first rounders along the line? Awesome!

Four 1st rounders and undrafted Brandon Moore.

HOU-TEX
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Four 1st rounders and undrafted Brandon Moore.

Must be nice to hit on 1st rounders in the trenches.......:hides:

steelbtexan
01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I would much rather sign C.Taylor. He and Jones are about the same talent wise and both are 30 yr old RB's. Taylor has way less miles on him than Jones.

I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA. The Jets were able to pick up B.Scott,J.Leonhard,M.Douglas in FA and trade for Lito Sheppard last offseason. They had less cap space than the Texans but they released guys so they could make these moves.

Can you say AFC championship game? All of this with a rookie HC and QB. This is what a great OL and a very good defense can do for a team.

It's all about committment to getting better.

Smithiak could learn a thing or two.

Texecutioner
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I would much rather sign C.Taylor. He and Jones are about the same talent wise and both are 30 yr old RB's. Taylor has way less miles on him than Jones.

I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA. The Jets were able to pick up B.Scott,J.Leonhard,M.Douglas in FA and trade for Lito Sheppard last offseason. They had less cap space than the Texans but they released guys so they could make these moves.

Can you say AFC championship game? All of this with a rookie HC and QB. This is what a great OL and a very good defense can do for a team.

It's all about committment to getting better.

Smithiak could learn a thing or two.

Totally agreed. As good as JOnes looked this season, he's got to be due for an injury plagued season at this point. Taylor would be a great pick up and he's the main guy I would want in the off season as far as a guy from another team.

DiehardChris
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
As far as FAs go, I would rather see Willis McGahee than Taylor or Jones. He's a great one-cut runner, and he's bigger than I thought (232 and six feet).

He's actually under contract through 2013 but with the uncapped year coming up speculation is rampant in Baltimore that they will cut him with the emergence of Ray Rice. I guess they figure they can go 1-2 punch with he and McClain and get rid of McGahee's big salary.

If they do cut him though, he's probably going to get the biggest RB FA contract of the offseason, so we probably won't be in play.

badboy
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I think we should get our own Shonn Greene

Wolf
01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
he was a FA a few years ago (if I recall) and we (the Texans) didn't jump on it then and I don't think they will jump on it now.. however with the Texans track record with FA Rbs , one will never know.....

HOU-TEX
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
he was a FA a few years ago (if I recall) and we (the Texans) didn't jump on it then and I don't think they will jump on it now.. however with the Texans track record with FA Rbs , one will never know.....

More the reason not to screw with any FA RB's. At least I'd hope they've learned their lesson by now.

Draft one on day 2 (2-3 rounds?) and be done with it for a couple years. I know that sounds too easy the way we've gone about the RB position. :rolleyes:

gtexan02
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Jones looked bad toward the end of the season and wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He looks like he's aging to me

Grams
01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I hope the Texans follow the Jets lead and invest in the OL and pick up a RB and a NT in FA.

Do we use a NT in a 4-3 or is a NT only in a 3-4? Confused here.

thunderkyss
01-27-2010, 06:08 PM
If we were to sign him for something "reasonable" and give him an opportunity to prove to the league that he can still produce, I'm all about signing Thomas Jones.

I would not want to be the one who get's hooked with that big contract.

I would even be interested in signing him to a performance based lucrative contract.

He's been getting better with age. Unlike a guy like LT.

Thomas Jones may have another year or two in him.

ubecool454
01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
I wanted him 3 years ago when he left Chicago but now I have Ahman Greenitis and Chris Brownitis. The Jet that I want in here is Kerry Rhodes...it doesn't look like they are wanting to pay him that 2 million dollar bonus.

infantrycak
01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Do we use a NT in a 4-3 or is a NT only in a 3-4? Confused here.

Yes there is a NT in both.

http://www.4malamute.com/images/fourth1.gif

The NT typically lines up to take on the C and a G. The other DT or 3 technique typically lines up in between the opposite G and T. The NT is expected to take on the C/G double team with the 3 technique taking a solo on the G or shooting one of the gaps. This is very general and there are lots of variations.

Blake
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
No way. The Texans have been burned by older backs on the wrong side of 30 too many times.

We need to grab one in the 2-4th round to go along with Slaton, Moats and Foster and be done with it.

infantrycak
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
No way. The Texans have been burned by older backs on the wrong side of 30 too many times.

Too many times? Name all the 30 year old backs when they came to the Texans and I'll spot you Green.

We don't have 4 1st rounders on our OL though.

badboy
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Jones looked bad toward the end of the season and wasn't getting it done in the playoffs. He looks like he's aging to meUH, OH. He is a prime candidate for Texans.

DiehardChris
01-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I think the Texans' brass also realize that the Jets have a dominant O-line. Jones would not have the same success here or most anywhere else that he had in NY.