PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the Pro Bowl

RasTaofarI
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I've had it with the NFL trying to force a bad product on us, the loyal fans. Because of the sport's physical nature and high probability of injury, an extra meaningless game makes no sense.

I usually miss the pro bowl because it's so easy to forget that it's on. But, this year we should band together and make a group effort to get everyone we know to watch anything else. I will not watch myself, which matters not a whit. I know a nielsen family, and some of you do too. Get your neilsen family to watch anything but the pro bowl; ANYTHING!

Post support, criticism or good alternate programming here...

Yankee_In_TX
01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Buddy, I believe the number of Nielson boxes for Houston is about 500.

So.................... Unless you can find those 500 people. Not that I imagine the Probowl has good ratings anyway.

What do you want to see instead?

Dr2bKay
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Well my tv won't be on it because I will be at the actual game.....:doot:

What do you really want to do about it? No type of Final Football activity at all??? You want it to end after Super Bowl??

I know that Pro Bowl doesn't matter to some people, but some people travel each year to attend the game and it would be a shame if it is taken away completely without replacing it with something.

Majority of football fans don't attend it or even watch it, so are they really being harmed by something they don't even watch to begin with? Why ruin it for those who are into it. Continue to watch Cold Case on next Sunday, I am sure the NFL will get your message. :kitten:

Hagar
01-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Not that I'm boycotting the pro bowl, but since I've never watched the game before, I don't plan on starting now.

Carr Bombed
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm going to watch the pro bowl, because we have a QB who's starting in it this year (which is exciting regardless of how he got in) and we have more players in the game than we've ever had in our teams history. So, I won't be able to turn it off until I know for sure everyone came away injury free.

ubecool454
01-30-2010, 03:59 AM
The probowl is a waste of time for me but some people plan vacations around it and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't care if they do away with it or let it stay because I'm sure it won't be hard to find something more entertaining to do.

Grams
01-30-2010, 07:12 AM
I usually never watch the ProBowl, but with our guys starting I will watch. At least until the sit Matt and our guys down.

Joe Texan
01-30-2010, 11:40 AM
It is FOOTBALL

Lets see American Idol reruns on this channel, Football on this channel

I am going with Football

WWJD
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
American Idol..even reruns..usually crushes any other program it's up against.

The Pro Bowl had poor ratings anyway.

Ryan
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
This is my last chance to see our Texans play for a while, so i'm not gonna take it for granted. The offseason is long enough.

D-Frank
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
anytime i can see our main guys play, i will watch. anything Texan oriented i will aways

kastofsna
02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
what the hell is the point of boycotting this? what are you even boycotting? do you understand the point of boycotting things?

Double Barrel
02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
ESPN, NFL Crow About Pro Bowl Ratings (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/01/espn-nfl-crow-about-pro-bowl-ratings/)

The Pro Bowl is, as we've all heard millions of times, a meaningless exhibition that no one cares about.

But the folks from ESPN and the NFL are boasting in the Super Bowl media center on Monday that a few people do care about the Pro Bowl. Actually, more than a few.

The numbers are in from Sunday night's game, and the Pro Bowl broadcast did a 7.9 overnight rating, which is 39 percent higher than the rating the Pro Bowl got on NBC last year. By way of comparison, that's a better rating than the Orange Bowl or the final round of last year's PGA Championship. It also dwarfs the 4.4 overnight rating that Sunday's Lakers-Celtics game got on ABC.

Looks like a lot of NFL fans completely disagree with this thread. :thinking:

My son watched it. He thought it was really cool to see all the different helmets, and seeing Schaub connect with AJ for a TD was a thrill for him. But, he's only 7 and not as "serious" as many football fans, so he watched it for the point of it all: entertainment.

gtexan02
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
No thanks, I watched it and it was fun

Khari
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
i didn't watch it....or any of the playoffs.....

Texan_Bill
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Looks like a lot of NFL fans completely disagree with this thread. :thinking:

My son watched it. He thought it was really cool to see all the different helmets, and seeing Schaub connect with AJ for a TD was a thrill for him. But, he's only 7 and not as "serious" as many football fans, so he watched it for the point of it all: entertainment.

Admit it, Dad got a little giddy when Schaub and AJ hooked up for a TD too!! :spin:

Double Barrel
02-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Admit it, Dad got a little giddy when Schaub and AJ hooked up for a TD too!! :spin:

hehe, I was actually in my studio when he came running. He made me go in there to watch the replay. It was cute to see how excited he was about it. I couldn't take that away from him. :)

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I watched some of it and will catch the rest on the DVR. No boycott for me.:kitten:

Texan_Bill
02-01-2010, 04:41 PM
hehe, I was actually in my studio when he came running. He made me go in there to watch the replay. It was cute to see how excited he was about it. I couldn't take that away from him. :)

Right on!! They are the "good times!"

Jackie Chiles
02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I think it worked out pretty well in Miami this year. If they don't move it back to Hawaii would the plan going forward be to have the PB in the Super Bowl city every year or in Miami every year? Not much changes from the perspective of the fan but going from Hawaii to Miami is one thing for a player, going from Miami to some landlocked frozen city could be a disaster.

Ole Miss Texan
02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
No thanks, I watched it and it was fun
Same here. I loved it! Of course, to be honest, if we didn't have Texans in it then I probably wouldn't have been near as interested. I hope next year we don't have any playing. :superbowl:
I think it worked out pretty well in Miami this year. If they don't move it back to Hawaii would the plan going forward be to have the PB in the Super Bowl city every year or in Miami every year? Not much changes from the perspective of the fan but going from Hawaii to Miami is one thing for a player, going from Miami to some landlocked frozen city could be a disaster.
This is what I'm interested in. Miami is one thing for the players and fans. Having the super bowl in a place like Detroit or Indianapolis is completely different. Next year the SB is in Dallas. If the PB is there too, I could see people going just for the big screen but that will wear off eventually. Dallas is nice and all but its not near as fun as a california or florida vacation.

ChampionTexan
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Same here. I loved it! Of course, to be honest, if we didn't have Texans in it then I probably wouldn't have been near as interested. I hope next year we don't have any playing. :superbowl:

This is what I'm interested in. Miami is one thing for the players and fans. Having the super bowl in a place like Detroit or Indianapolis is completely different. Next year the SB is in Dallas. If the PB is there too, I could see people going just for the big screen but that will wear off eventually. Dallas is nice and all but its not near as fun as a california or florida vacation.

The NFL has already announced the Pro Bowl will be back in Hawaii the next two year (2011 and 2012), but it hasn't been decided whether it will continue to be the week before the Super Bowl, or some other time.

Ole Miss Texan
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
The NFL has already announced the Pro Bowl will be back in Hawaii the next two year (2011 and 2012), but it hasn't been decided whether it will continue to be the week before the Super Bowl, or some other time.

Oh cool, thanks. From a player's perspective, Hawaii is easily the best place to have it. Week long vacation in Hawaii with your family, all while getting paid either $22K or $45K!

gtexan02
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh cool, thanks. From a player's perspective, Hawaii is easily the best place to have it. Week long vacation in Hawaii with your family, all while getting paid either $22K or $45K!

Sign me up :)

I kind of liked the probowl before the superbowl.
Schaub got to start
I actually watched it

I always forget about the probowl when its after the season, because, well, its after the season

What ever happened to the probowl talent competitions? You know, longest kick, faster spring, farthest throw, etc

ChampionTexan
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Sign me up :)

I kind of liked the probowl before the superbowl.
Schaub got to start
I actually watched it

I always forget about the probowl when its after the season, because, well, its after the season

What ever happened to the probowl talent competitions? You know, longest kick, faster spring, farthest throw, etc

I liked it better this year too. It's never going to be compelling, and Schaub, AJ, Cushing and Mario all being in it definitely made it more interesting, but to me having any type of game after the Super Bowl is kind of like having The Beatles (when they were all still alive) open for a really bad garage band.

JWarren14
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Just got an email from my Cox Cable rep in Vegas, Pro Bowl doubled estimated ratings, just FYI.

Vinny
02-03-2010, 12:18 PM
The NFL has already announced the Pro Bowl will be back in Hawaii the next two year (2011 and 2012), but it hasn't been decided whether it will continue to be the week before the Super Bowl, or some other time.I hope it continues in the week before the SB. I thought this was a brilliant idea. I enjoyed the game more this year than in previous seasons since it was really much more "in the season" than in years past and the title has yet to be decided so there was lots of football talk in the air when it is set up like this. When the game is after the SB everyone's attention is with the combine and the draft and not so much on the current league season.