PDA

View Full Version : LaDainian Tomlinson

Mari-OWNED!
01-21-2010, 02:41 AM
I know I'm going to receive A LOT of flak for this, but if the Chargers were to release LaDainian Tomlinson, I'd be all for bringing him to Houston.

I wouldn't even be mad at the front office if they proposed to trade for him.

Hypothetical: Trade a conditional 2011 fifth-round pick that turns into a fourth-rounder depending on production, percent of plays, etc.

If you don't have a puzzled look on your face, and Ahman Green's name hasn't popped into your head yet as you're reading this then I am very surprised!

We can all agree that Gary Kubiak is in a make or break year for his job next season as the Houston Texans head coach, and sometimes coaches while in those types of situations have to resort to drastic measures.

I truly believe that LT has a good 2-3 years left in the tank, especially if he's not the focal point of the offense, which he shouldn't be if he were here in Houston. I don't care what Kubiak's philosophy is, the Texans are a pass orientated offense.

I would envision it that LaDainian SHOULD NOT be the workhorse, and split carries with Slaton/Foster. Giving LT no more than 150-175 carries a year would be the efficient way to get the best out of him in my opinion. Also don't forget he's got a nose for the pay dirt, and that's something the Texans running backs have been lacking that they DEFINITELY need!

New offensive coordinator Rick Dennison also plays a huge role in this as well, as I believe he can fix the offensive line's run-blocking troubles, and that would in turn make everyone's life easier on the offensive side of the ball.

Also I wouldn't be opposed if the Texans still drafted a running back in the later rounds of this year's draft even if we were to happen to acquire Tomlinson, because I'm not an ***** and for all we know LT could break down just like Ahman Green once he arrives in Houston, but it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Let's bring LaDainian back to Texas where he belongs, a true Texan!

So what do you all think? Does this sound reasonable to you, or do I sound like a nut job proposing my team to go after a running back that is past his prime?

(I've got my fire resistant suit on, so flame away!)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Hello, Charlie.

Malloy
01-21-2010, 03:38 AM
If he is released then sure, take a look at him. As for giving up picks, no :)

m5kwatts
01-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Only if he brings his super cool electric glide moves along with him

If you haven't seen the video yet, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdBjHc-6WE

Mari-OWNED!
01-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Hello, Charlie.
That's Mr. Casserly to you!

Only if he brings his super cool electric glide moves along with him

If you haven't seen the video yet, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdBjHc-6WE

Yeah I've seen it, and I'll personally upload a video of myself doing that dance if he joins the Texans.

If he is released then sure, take a look at him. As for giving up picks, no :)

I understand where you're coming from, but a mid-round pick for someone like Tomlinson doesn't seem like too much of a sacrifice in my opinion. Obviously this is just speculation, because who knows what the Chargers organization would be willing to accept to trade Tomlinson.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-21-2010, 06:30 AM
I we are going to trade with SD, just give them back whatever we got for TJ.

4Texans
01-21-2010, 07:12 AM
if he is released then sure, take a look at him. As for giving up picks, no :)

+ 1

PHAROAH
01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
This guy might have 1 year left maximum and I think that will be a waste of time. This guy disappear in the playoffs as well so lets draft a stud runnning back and be done with it. I would rather sign or trade for DT Shaun Rogers to plug up the middle instead of wasting another high draft choice on another DT.

GP
01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
And this is in the Texans Talk forum because..........?

ArlingtonTexan
01-21-2010, 07:52 AM

The mods just woke up

utahmark
01-21-2010, 07:53 AM

he's asking about a trade he thinks the texans should make. why would'nt it go here?

HoustonFrog
01-21-2010, 08:10 AM
LT still has a little game...goalline and spell work. He looked good at times this year. He just needs a good system and line. As good as they were this year, the Chargers line had some run blocking issues. Considering the Texans problems, I don't see LT as a good fit unless it was fixed. He did score TDs when given the chance though.

HOU-TEX
01-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Ahman Green, Chris Brown......LT is likely still more reliable than those two, but I'll pass. Unless it's for vet minimum, of course.

We'll draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd and probably grab an UDFA or two. That reminds me, we still have Jeremiah Johnson to look at too.

No more geezers for RBs, please.

ArlingtonTexan
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
he's asking about a trade he thinks the texans should make. why would'nt it go here?

Because someone can start similiar speculation about every player in the league...i.e. not news about the Texans or a Texan player.

GP
01-21-2010, 09:36 AM
The mods just woke up

I should have clarified. My bad. I was in a hurry this morning.

I meant that the guy should have put this in the NFL section. LT isn't on our team, and the forum he put it in is for talk about the current team and its current players/staff/etc. I guess I should lay off since he has about 400 posts. It takes time to get the hang of how it works.

And to utahmark: You have almost 1500 posts. You've never seen the "we should trade for ________" threads get moved out of the Texans Talk forum and into the NFL forum?

Just being cranky. I have a bad bad head cold that's been here all week. :voodoo:

Ole Miss Texan
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't want to trade for him... I think it would turn out just like the Eric Moulds deal. But if he gets released, I would be all for bringing him in. I think he would be more reliable than Slaton or Foster. I know we're not getting the LT from a few years ago, but he would still be a solid RB to have as part of our group.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
The only way I want him here is if he signs here for vet minimum. I don't think he's got anything left in the tank.

chicagotexan2
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Ahman Green, Chris Brown......LT is likely still more reliable than those two, but I'll pass. Unless it's for vet minimum, of course.

We'll draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd and probably grab an UDFA or two. That reminds me, we still have Jeremiah Johnson to look at too.

No more geezers for RBs, please.

Tru dat. LT is finished. His heart says he's not, but his body and stats say "Thanks for the memories." As the 3rd rb, i'd consider him. But I'd have no illusions about him ever being anything more than Chris Brown or Ahman Greenish.

Texecutioner
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
LT????? NO, sorry but DO NOT WANT.

That would be just another move like the Amaan Green and Brown move. Of course that would be right up Kubiak's ally though. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Smithiak do it.

The RB's I'd like to bring in somehow would be Chester Taylor from the Vikings. He's a very solid veteran that hasn't been worked hard over the last 3 years. His legs should still be very good and he's one of the best RB's in the league in my opinion. He just happens to play behind AP. Taylor does everything well. He catches passes well, he blocks well, and runs very hard. The guy is a very good runner in the red zone as well.

Peyton Hillis would be a great addition as well. He isn't being used in Denver, so at this point Denver would be stupid not to trade him for not much at all. Kubes likes anything that's been in Denver as well.

Jason Snelling. I've got no idea what his situation is like in ATL though. I'm sure they want to keep him around, but that guy impressed me this season. He's pretty big and he runs like a truck with some pretty nice speed. He could be pretty damn good on the right team.

Goldensilence
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
LT????? NO, sorry but DO NOT WANT.

That would be just another move like the Amaan Green and Brown move. Of course that would be right up Kubiak's ally though. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Smithiak do it.

The RB's I'd like to bring in somehow would be Chester Taylor from the Vikings. He's a very solid veteran that hasn't been worked hard over the last 3 years. His legs should still be very good and he's one of the best RB's in the league in my opinion. He just happens to play behind AP. Taylor does everything well. He catches passes well, he blocks well, and runs very hard. The guy is a very good runner in the red zone as well.

Peyton Hillis would be a great addition as well. He isn't being used in Denver, so at this point Denver would be stupid not to trade him for not much at all. Kubes likes anything that's been in Denver as well.

Jason Snelling. I've got no idea what his situation is like in ATL though. I'm sure they want to keep him around, but that guy impressed me this season. He's pretty big and he runs like a truck with some pretty nice speed. He could be pretty damn good on the right team.

IF we're talking about geezers for running backs Chester Taylor is going to be 31 next September. I don't see him leaving Minnesota unless he asks for a big deal.

Hillis I'm on board with. Right now they have him as the starting FB, but there's another FB on the roster. Not sure what Hillis contract is but, I'd offer a 4th rounder or offer to trade Anderson straight up.

Agree on Snelling. Guy impressed when he got carries, but not sure as well what his contract situation is.

Far as LT goes, would I like to see him ina Texans uni? For the right price yes. I don't think he'll be looking for a big contract as much as he'd probably like to have a shot at a superbowl title. I'd probably think there's a team or two that's close that wouldn't mind bringing him on board for a reasonable price.

Honestly I'd love to see him stick around for one more year for a shot at a title. They guy has been nothing but a class act through out his career and is humbled by his accomplishments.

IlliniJen
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
LT is done. I'm sorry, as a huge LT fan, I have to admit I thought he would pick it up again this year, but he didn't. He needs to retire while he's still somewhat on top, instead of fading out.

I love the guy, love his heart and dedication to the game, but even his strong offseason prep can't get past a broken down body. He spent his early years quietly being the best RB in the league that no one was talking about, and I'm sad that he never got a chance at a title (and it won't happen under his current coach, either, if he stays another year with the Bolts).

I hope a SB contender picks him up and gets him to that big game. It sucks when great players get screwed by fate and circumstance. Kinda like watching the Fridge run in for a TD in the 86 superbowl instead of Sweetness. That's whack.

Esoom
01-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I would love to see him picked up if he ends up on the market. The man knows how to get into the endzone, even during a bad year like he had this year. He still had 12 TD's and I'll take that any day.

LonerATO
01-22-2010, 01:12 AM
I think a lot of his ineffectiveness is due to the Chargers offensive philosophy. I think the firing of Marty had a ton to do with his decline, but yes is old.

gary
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
We all do not remember he also lost a key blocking FB too. I just wonder how he would run behind Leach but you all are probably right he is probably just getting old.

Texecutioner
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
IF we're talking about geezers for running backs Chester Taylor is going to be 31 next September. I don't see him leaving Minnesota unless he asks for a big deal.

Yeah, but Talor isn't your typical 31 year old RB that's been a starter for some team year in and year out who has a ton of miles on him. Taylor is like an older Cadillac that's been sitting in your grandmother's garage for the last 6 years while she's been slowly dying and only driving it to the store and to her doctor three times a month up the street. Taylor's been the back up for the last 3 seasons while AP's gotten a ton of carries. He hasn't had any bad injuries and he's been great when his number has been called. He did start that one season before AP got there and got a lot of carries and played great. Before that, he was the back up in Baltimore and didn't get hardly any carries there either until Lewis had gone down one season and he played great which is why he got a nice contract with Minnesota. So even though his age is up there, he hasn't had a lot of wear and tear at all like your typical RB that is 31 years of age.

Agree on Snelling. Guy impressed when he got carries, but not sure as well what his contract situation is.

Yeah, I've got no idea what his situation is. I highly doubt he's on some multi year deal though or that he's being paid much. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the guy is a free agent this season.

Far as LT goes, would I like to see him ina Texans uni? For the right price yes. I don't think he'll be looking for a big contract as much as he'd probably like to have a shot at a superbowl title. I'd probably think there's a team or two that's close that wouldn't mind bringing him on board for a reasonable price.

For a very low price, I'd be okay with it, but only if we were still going after other good backs that were young. No way, would I want the Texans to take LT and think that there work was over like they did with Green and Brown the past few seasons. That was what hurt our running game a lot. If LT was just a guy who was going to be in the committee, then fine, but lets keep looking for another young stud.

Honestly I'd love to see him stick around for one more year for a shot at a title. They guy has been nothing but a class act through out his career and is humbled by his accomplishments.

Agreed.

ubecool454
01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I know I'm going to receive A LOT of flak for this, but if the Chargers were to release LaDainian Tomlinson, I'd be all for bringing him to Houston.

I wouldn't even be mad at the front office if they proposed to trade for him.

Hypothetical: Trade a conditional 2011 fifth-round pick that turns into a fourth-rounder depending on production, percent of plays, etc.

If you don't have a puzzled look on your face, and Ahman Green's name hasn't popped into your head yet as you're reading this then I am very surprised!

We can all agree that Gary Kubiak is in a make or break year for his job next season as the Houston Texans head coach, and sometimes coaches while in those types of situations have to resort to drastic measures.

I truly believe that LT has a good 2-3 years left in the tank, especially if he's not the focal point of the offense, which he shouldn't be if he were here in Houston. I don't care what Kubiak's philosophy is, the Texans are a pass orientated offense.

I would envision it that LaDainian SHOULD NOT be the workhorse, and split carries with Slaton/Foster. Giving LT no more than 150-175 carries a year would be the efficient way to get the best out of him in my opinion. Also don't forget he's got a nose for the pay dirt, and that's something the Texans running backs have been lacking that they DEFINITELY need!

New offensive coordinator Rick Dennison also plays a huge role in this as well, as I believe he can fix the offensive line's run-blocking troubles, and that would in turn make everyone's life easier on the offensive side of the ball.

Also I wouldn't be opposed if the Texans still drafted a running back in the later rounds of this year's draft even if we were to happen to acquire Tomlinson, because I'm not an ***** and for all we know LT could break down just like Ahman Green once he arrives in Houston, but it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Let's bring LaDainian back to Texas where he belongs, a true Texan!

So what do you all think? Does this sound reasonable to you, or do I sound like a nut job proposing my team to go after a running back that is past his prime?

(I've got my fire resistant suit on, so flame away!)

5 years ago I would have been all for bringing him home. Time to get our own LT in the draft.

ziggy29
01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I'd certainly be up for acquiring LT for the right price and for the right role. Sometimes a change in scenery can be very rejuvenating for a career. But I think his reputation is going make that price more than he's worth today.

Plus, he hasn't exactly been electrifying even in his prime in the postseason. This year's disappearing act has been but one of many in his career.

Dutchrudder
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
As long as they don't play the LT Glide song, I'm ok with it.

Big Poundcake
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
If the Chargers release LT, the Texans might be able to get him pretty cheap. He might be worth a look.