PDA

View Full Version : League proposes immediate changes to rookie pay

bckey
01-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Mike Florio posted this a few days ago over at profootballtalk under the union and cba category. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone over here thinks about it. I am personally all for a rookie salary cap and helping the retired players.

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the league has proposed the implementation of a rookie wage scale for the April 2010 draft. She also reports that the NFLPA has responded with a proposal that would change the structure of the rookie deals beginning in 2010, too.

The league's proposal, per Mullen, would pay players a fixed amount based on draft slot, with a "significant" portion of the savings being distributed to retired players. The NFLPA responded Tuesday with a proposed three-year limit on rookie contracts, along with a two-year extension to the current labor deal and a commitment by the owners to match the payment to the retired players arising from the contribution flowing from the savings in rookie pay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/union-and-cba/

Hervoyel
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I think it's long overdue and they don't really seem all that far apart in their ideas. The gap will be in dollars. I'm sure the league has one number in mind and it's nowhere near as big as the players association would like to see.

Blazing Arrow
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I wonder if the owners are still dancing a jig at the moment?

Thorn
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I bet the rookies who came out early in 2009 are glad they did, and the ones who didn't are probably a tad miffed right now. LOL

bckey
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
I changed the title so people could see that this could potentially effect the 2010 draft. A rookie salary cap has been talked about for quite some time but I never thought it was this close to happening. I really think it would be good for the NFL. I'm tired of seeing guys like Jamarcus Russell, Alex Smith, Reggie Bush, etc. get a big pay day for what they did in college. Earn it in the NFL. I do think the contracts should be kept short and the players should be rewarded if they play well ie Cushing.