PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson, "beast"

redwhiteANDblue
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I was watching NFL Total Access today. They were interviewing Darell Revis and Deon Sanders asks him to tell him what he thinks of WRs he mentions.

DS: T.O?
DR: Slouch.
DS: Randy Moss?
DR: I'll probably say slouch too.
DS: Chad Johnson
DR: Competitor
DS: Steve Smith (Panthers)
DR: Competitor
DS: Andre...Johnson
DR: Beast

Just thought this was pretty cool! Makes me proud to be a Texan! GO AJ!:fans:

I'll try to see if I can find the video.

pbat488
01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Ask and you shall recieve... end of the the video starting around 3:45.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d815c65a2/Sunday-Sitdown-Darrelle-Revis

Esoom
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
It's awesome how AJ commands more respect from a guy that shut him down than all those other great receivers. I smile every time I remember that Andre Johnson plays for us and not someone else.

The Pencil Neck
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Should this be merged with the other threads about it?

brakos82
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Should this be merged with the other threads about it?

I think the post counter would overload.

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I like Revis' candor. I think he also knows he's playing 80 again next year, don't wanna write checks you can't cash.

mexican_texan
01-20-2010, 12:42 AM
:(

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/mlb.celebrity.world.series.picks/images/amobi-okoye.jpg

b0ng
01-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I like Revis' candor. I think he also knows he's playing 80 again next year, don't wanna write checks you can't cash.

Right now, Revis has a license to talk any amount of trash he wants. He's pretty much held down everybody who happens to find their way onto Revis Island.

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Right now, Revis has a license to talk any amount of trash he wants. He's pretty much held down everybody who happens to find their way onto Revis Island.

Yeah yeah, I think the other 10 on defense have a bit to do with whats going on with the Jets' defense too though (especially in the week 1 matchup, our entire offense looked awful). They're the #1 ranked defense and #1 against the pass. One lockdown CB alone can't be the cause of that. And lets not forget what Rex Ryan's scheme did for those Baltimore DB's. Those guys couldn't cover a lick this year without him.

b0ng
01-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Yeah yeah, I think the other 10 on defense have a bit to do with whats going on with the Jets' defense too though (especially in the week 1 matchup, our entire offense looked awful). They're the #1 ranked defense and #1 against the pass. One lockdown CB alone can't be the cause of that. And lets not forget what Rex Ryan's scheme did for those Baltimore DB's. Those guys couldn't cover a lick this year without him.

The guy literally plays single man coverage on the best WR on the opposing offense (Well they didn't play that vs the Chargers, but Ryan said he felt the Chargers didn't have a clear-cut #1) pretty much every snap. He's not getting unearned accolades, he's pretty legit.

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 02:14 AM
The guy literally plays single man coverage on the best WR on the opposing offense (Well they didn't play that vs the Chargers, but Ryan said he felt the Chargers didn't have a clear-cut #1) pretty much every snap. He's not getting unearned accolades, he's pretty legit.

I think he's definitely surpassed Nnamdi as the undisputed #1 corner in the league. That said, their defense as a whole wreaks havoc on offenses. QBs never get a clean pocket and because of their blitzes you can pretty much eliminate anything beyond a 3 step drop from your playbook. Those factors alone would aid ANY corner. Revis is great but he isn't immaculate. Ask Tedd Ginn who burned him for an 80 yard TD catch on MNF this year.

Scooter
01-20-2010, 04:24 AM
beast

BigBull17
01-20-2010, 07:27 AM

I think he's definitely surpassed Nnamdi as the undisputed #1 corner in the league. That said, their defense as a whole wreaks havoc on offenses. QBs never get a clean pocket and because of their blitzes you can pretty much eliminate anything beyond a 3 step drop from your playbook. Those factors alone would aid ANY corner. Revis is great but he isn't immaculate. Ask Tedd Ginn who burned him for an 80 yard TD catch on MNF this year.

Ypou guys are both right. He is a legit shut down beast of a CB, but he does have a GREAT D around him. Vs San DIego, the Jets got pressure with a three man front more than a few times, leaving you to beat 8 in coverage while running for your life.

Marcus
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
And just think, Dunta Robinson wants to be paid like Revis.

God, I'll be so glad when he's gone.

Texecutioner
01-20-2010, 04:27 PM

He's immaculate as it gets at the position. He's only in his 3rd season and he's had one of the best seasons for any CB in the history of the game when you look at how well he shut down the WR's he played this season. He plays in single man coverage and takes over his side of the field. Great CB's are very hard to find and very rare in the NFL. Finding a CB of his caliber only comes along like every 5 or 6 years.

disaacks3
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
He's immaculate as it gets at the position. He's only in his 3rd season and he's had one of the best seasons for any CB in the history of the game when you look at how well he shut down the WR's he played this season. He plays in single man coverage and takes over his side of the field. Great CB's are very hard to find and very rare in the NFL. Finding a CB of his caliber only comes along like every 5 or 6 years. Yep! Having Deion do the interview may portend just how good this kid can be (if he isn't there already).

WWJD
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Yep! Having Deion do the interview may portend just how good this kid can be (if he isn't there already).

Not a Jets fan or follower but how does the kid do as far as tackling?

If he's a good tackler then he already has a leg up on Deion.

Deion readily admitted that wasn't his thing...

sometimes he didn't even try.

Texecutioner
01-20-2010, 05:22 PM

He's very good against the run. He does everything well actually. I'm not aware of one weakness to his game really. He gets INT's as well and he's gotten two in his first two playoff games this season at crucial moments. I don't think I've ever seen a CB this good at this point in his career this early and he seems to have a really good head on his shoulders.

WWJD
01-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I had tickets when Deion played and he wiffed on more tackles than I care to remember. He just was incapable of making a hard hit.

They had hard hitting safeties though so that made up the deficit and Deion could cover anybody one on one BUT still...he's the worse tackling corner I think I've ever seen.

He was the best at everything else though. So you got what you got with Deion.

Deion was always one of my favorite players to watch...there was just a buzz that he brought to games..he was all about Deion but he sure was fun to watch.

texans3964
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
thank you Mr Revis.Andre"The Beast"Johnson has a nice ring to it.

Goldensilence
01-20-2010, 05:41 PM
:(

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/mlb.celebrity.world.series.picks/images/amobi-okoye.jpg

Thanks so much for the reminder.

Here's to hoping we don't go DT this year in the first.

infantrycak
01-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Nope wasn't Deion's thing at all. On the other hand he still has a serious coverage leg up on Reevis. Deion was so skilled at closing distance quickly he would lay off WRs to bait QBs to throw to them, then close for the INT. That would be a contrast with Asomugha as well - Aso makes the coverage, Deion tried to figure out how to trick the pick because he already knew he had the coverage. Tackling was certainly a wart for Deion (although it was funny sometimes to watch WRs just step out of bounds knowing they couldn't out run him) but I have never seen anyone cover like him.

WWJD
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Deion was great. Deion had fun playing. He was fun to watch. If I remember he started having problems with a turf toe or something and then his skills declined somewhat...seems like he had some foot problems.

He's one of my favorite all time players. Big Deion fan.

Texecutioner
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Nope wasn't Deion's thing at all. On the other hand he still has a serious coverage leg up on Reevis. Deion was so skilled at closing distance quickly he would lay off WRs to bait QBs to throw to them, then close for the INT. That would be a contrast with Asomugha as well - Aso makes the coverage, Deion tried to figure out how to trick the pick because he already knew he had the coverage. Tackling was certainly a wart for Deion (although it was funny sometimes to watch WRs just step out of bounds knowing they couldn't out run him) but I have never seen anyone cover like him.

I think Revis is seriously a guy that could become better than Deion or at least be mentioned with him. Of course it's to early in his career to make a claim like that now that "it will" happen, but I've never seen a CB this good this early in his career as far as what he's able to do week in and week out as a true shut down cover corner. Time will tell how good he becomes as he gets older and more experienced. I think he's much better than guys like Champ Bailey though who was considered the best CB in the league for several years.

DexmanC
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Deion was great. Deion had fun playing. He was fun to watch. If I remember he started having problems with a turf toe or something and then his skills declined somewhat...seems like he had some foot problems.

He's one of my favorite all time players. Big Deion fan.

I remember his colleagues on NFL Network were kidding him about his
"lack of tackling." He just laughed it off and said something to the
effect of: "They gotta CATCH the ball before I can tackle 'em, baby!"

He was TRULY fun to watch back in the day. On Tecmo Super Bowl, if
I got a pick with him, it was SIX.

imatexan
01-20-2010, 07:07 PM

The face of a young man who has not lived up to potential yet...I still have faith he will!

WWJD
01-20-2010, 07:10 PM

He was the worse at that! I didn't follow him in college and don't even know how his tackling was in college.

I still see guys trying to act like Deion..the ironic thing is that I've been a decades long football fan and almost never ever like the showboats. But for some reason I always loved Deion. Go figure.

Marcus
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Ahem . . . here's to hoping that we do.

If at first you don't succeed, you keep drafting them, and drafting them, and drafting them, and drafting them . . . until you do.

You can break it down and over analyze it until the cows come home, but the end result is . . .

. . . we still need a pass rush, because we still don't have one.

Getting another DT is the solution. The fact that we've had two busts at that position is a ridiculously ignorant reason for not addressing it.

Norg
01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
WHat was AJ acctual stats for that week 1 jets game ?????

and we all know yes that game matt schaub was on the ground all day and running for his life

But did that game was AJ doubled team or shadow most of the game ????

silvrhand
01-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I think Revis is seriously a guy that could become better than Deion or at least be mentioned with him. Of course it's to early in his career to make a claim like that now that "it will" happen, but I've never seen a CB this good this early in his career as far as what he's able to do week in and week out as a true shut down cover corner. Time will tell how good he becomes as he gets older and more experienced. I think he's much better than guys like Champ Bailey though who was considered the best CB in the league for several years.

The one thing that seperates Deion from the rest was his ability after he caught the ball, kickoff, and punt returns. Oh yah he played offense and baseball as well. Once he picked off your pass there was a good chance it was going the other way for 6.

To me the only other pure NFL star that could have competed with Deion, would have been Bo Jackson, until he got hurt.

Texecutioner
01-21-2010, 01:28 AM
The one thing that seperates Deion from the rest was his ability after he caught the ball, kickoff, and punt returns. Oh yah he played offense and baseball as well. Once he picked off your pass there was a good chance it was going the other way for 6.

To me the only other pure NFL star that could have competed with Deion, would have been Bo Jackson, until he got hurt.

I'll agree with that. Deion was definitely the best pure athlete and he's in the discussion of possibly the best of all time. And I also agree that Bo is a great person to compare him to. Funny you say that as well. Years ago when Irvin hosted the Best Damn Sports Show Deion was on there one day, and they were all talking about Bo Jackson and how great he was and how no one had come along like him ever. Deion said that Bo was the greatest athlete of all time, and they asked him if he thought that he was better than him (Deion) and he said it again and said that Bo was even better than him. I was pretty surprised to hear him say that, with as arrogant and vain as he is.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2010, 09:59 AM
WHat was AJ acctual stats for that week 1 jets game ?????

and we all know yes that game matt schaub was on the ground all day and running for his life

But did that game was AJ doubled team or shadow most of the game ????

4 for 35 and 2 first downs. AJ was singled up with Revis most of the game.

DexmanC
01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
I had tickets when Deion played and he wiffed on more tackles than I care to remember. He just was incapable of making a hard hit.

They had hard hitting safeties though so that made up the deficit and Deion could cover anybody one on one BUT still...he's the worse tackling corner I think I've ever seen.

He was the best at everything else though. So you got what you got with Deion.

Deion was always one of my favorite players to watch...there was just a buzz that he brought to games..he was all about Deion but he sure was fun to watch.

That's what "we, the public" thought about Deion. What's interesting is
that EVERY ex-teammate of his loves him to death. Some would even
say he was the hardest worker on their team. Compare what players
say about T.O. <i.e: "Slouch"> and we get an idea of what made Deion
so great.

WWJD
01-21-2010, 02:17 PM
That's what "we, the public" thought about Deion. What's interesting is
that EVERY ex-teammate of his loves him to death. Some would even
say he was the hardest worker on their team. Compare what players
say about T.O. <i.e: "Slouch"> and we get an idea of what made Deion
so great.

I can promise you he wasn't anywhere near the hardest worker on the Cowboys team...he was more interested in playing dominos in his free time when Michael was out running routes with Troy.

I don't really care about all regarding Deion..he showed up for games and that makes him kind of a freak of nature to me.

I never thought of Deion as this hard worker but he didn't even have to be..he just had the ability.

I'm confused about the Terrell comment..I thought Terrell was a workout warrior and I got the impression the "slouch" comment came from his game day performances..taking plays off kind of thing. Maybe I just misread or misunderstood what Revis meant.

BigBull17
01-21-2010, 02:44 PM

He is so fun to watch on that show too. I never thought he would be one of my favorite NFL anylist, but he is. Unless they put Irvine on there with him.

DexmanC
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM
4 for 35 and 2 first downs. AJ was singled up with Revis most of the game.

Revis is a good corner, but he has a GREAT FRONT-SEVEN. I'd like
to see him with Asomoghua's front-seven, and see how he does.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Revis is a good corner, but he has a GREAT FRONT-SEVEN. I'd like
to see him with Asomoghua's front-seven, and see how he does.

They're both great corners and it would take a pretty bad front 7 to make them look bad.