PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy mediocrity

Silver Oak
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
with the Texans being a target for supposedly being content with their record this season (b.s.), I thought this article was particularly well timed and insightful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems Jones painted himself into a corner by growing a little too excited the week before. That is when he hastily declared, "Can we all together on three say it? The demons are -- what? -- gone!" Yeah, gone for a week. If the Cowboys had eluded what would have been an NFL-record seventh consecutive postseason loss, they went on to Minnesota and extended a road playoff losing streak that has lasted 17 friggin' years. To me, Jones is a fraud when it comes to the excessive hype of his franchise. He wants us to believe the Cowboys are the New York Yankees of pro football, that they are as popular as any sports team in the world, that he built a stadium worthy of their magnitude. Yet, on the field, he's content simply to win his first playoff game in eons even after being blown out in the next game and failing to reach the NFC championship game. The Yankees don't think this way. Manchester United and Real Madrid don't think this way. They fire coaches and managers who don't reach expectations.

Therefore, stop thinking of the Cowboys as America's Team. You can't represent an entire country when three U.S. presidents have served five terms since your last league championship. Shoot, you can't represent an entire country when you're barely the best NFL team in Texas, with the Houston Texans finally shedding their post-expansion rut to become very competitive. If Jones is pleased with Phillips -- who now is 1-5 as a playoff coach with three teams, the first two of whom (Buffalo and San Diego) fired him -- then he's running nothing more than Mediocrity's Team.

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2010/01/19/if-cowboys-think-big-why-keep-phillips/

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
This is a pretty bad argument and a pretty useless article in how it is written.

Now if he had made a case for Wade needing to be fired because he isn't a guy to get them to a SB, then I'd agree to some extent. Lay that out for me. But Texans fans just wrote yesterday...PencilNeck...that 9-7 wasn't mediocre because mediocre is actually defined as below average.

Jerry stated that if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs this year and win a game, Wade was gone. That was the expectations. They got hot and won and then got killed. Wade has won 2 division titles and has gone 33-15 in 3 years. There is nothing medicore about that. What isn't accepted is no SBs.

Mariotti looks stupid for 2 reasons. 1) The Cowboys are the #1 rated franchise and the stadium is considered one of the best and 2) The Yankees kept Joe Torre from 2002 until 2008, 6 season when all they did was win divisions and lost in the playoffs.

Again, I'm no Wade fan but this article was silly

I should tab this thread as an example of what I was talking about in the Viking thread.

As for the realities. The reality is that Wade has a one year option. Considering there could be a lock out after next year and there isn't a reason to extend him or pay another guy a ton for a maybe non-season, I think he is looking at money right now. If he extends Wade, then there is a problem in my book.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Jay Mariotti is about as bad as Richard Justice in terms of journalism. And yes that is a poor argument, the Cowboys did win their first playoff game in a decade and just happened to run into a pants-shittingly good defense coupled with an above average offense.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I think it's a forgone conclusion Wade is back next year and I would not be surprised if he got an extension.

Norv Turner got a 3 year extension this am...

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I think it's a forgone conclusion Wade is back next year and I would not be surprised if he got an extension.

Norv Turner got a 3 year extension this am...

This is where I'd be upset.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
This is where I'd be upset.

I'm SHOCKED really that Norv got an extension for that many years. I wish Jerry would make some calls this week and just see who else might be interested?

Heck he's paying Garrett 3 million a year..I KNOW we can do better than him.

Seems Wade needs to feel a LITTLE heat after that piss poor performance the other day.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
This thread really needs some graphical representation:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/attachment-3.jpg

houstonspartan
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Eh. You should have seen Bob McNair's face after the second Indy game. It made the look Jones is shooting look like a choir boy.

Dread-Head
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
As much as I truly despise the D:zipit:llas Cowboys. I will admit they ahve one kick-@$$ marketing machine. They are popular around the planet for who knows WHAT reason. I'll give them their due.
Jones on the other hand is a leather faced FREAK who should stay in his damned box when his team is winning OR losing. He NEEDS to focus more on the team improving than on how to better market them or showcase them. As much as I HATE the team who lies North on 45 I have SOME respect for them.

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm SHOCKED really that Norv got an extension for that many years. I wish Jerry would make some calls this week and just see who else might be interested?

Heck he's paying Garrett 3 million a year..I KNOW we can do better than him.

Seems Wade needs to feel a LITTLE heat after that piss poor performance the other day.

Norv gets an extension but Schottenheimer gets canned after 14-2. That came down to a GM liking one guy and hating another.

I can make some of the same arguments against Wade as I did Kubes. Of course players like the guy. He is harmless and they have a pretty cush life as far as coaches being demanding, etc. He has their back all the time too. Wade is a good guy but you need someone to push the buttons here and there. Great defensive mind but no authority over Garrett. If he did, Barber would never have set foot in the game...one point Mariotti got right.

As I said, I think this is financial for Jerry. He'll get his year and we will see what happens with the next year. I also think Wade might be gone but Jerry opened his mouth and threw support behind him after the game. Of course he did that with TO and then cut him. I wish he would make calls.

Silver Oak
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Jerry stated that if the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs this year and win a game, Wade was gone. That was the expectations. They got hot and won and then got killed. Wade has won 2 division titles and has gone 33-15 in 3 years. There is nothing medicore about that. What isn't accepted is no SBs.

so achieving the minimum is acceptable too Jones is what Mariotti is stating here, which is contrary to what you have stated the Dallas goal is each year.

dunno...I suppose the article makes as much sense as you spending the last 30-40 days on a tirade against the Texans ownership supposedly being acceptable of a 9-7 record. When I see McNair at practices, games, and the knowledge that he has direct weekly meetings with his GM and coach, that shows an owner not being content with making money, but one obsessed with winning. you agree?

Brando
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
with the Texans being a target for supposedly being content with their record this season (b.s.)

We are not content with 9-7. I hate hearing that, it is bs and it's a milestone for the franchise to build on for next year.

Didn't mean to change the topic but it has been bugging me.

El Tejano
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
We are not content with 9-7. I hate hearing that, it is bs and it's a milestone for the franchise to build on for next year.

Didn't mean to change the topic but it has been bugging me.

I don't think Silver Oak is saying we are content with 9-7. I believe he is just pointing out that Houston Frog has stated over and over that the Texans way of thinking is to accept mediocrity and that with Cowboys it's Super Bowl or nothing.

Many people in that thread said they are cool with the baby steps if it means brining a championship to Houston one day.

I agree with Silver Oak though. If Dallas doesn't accept mediocrity and mediocrity is defined by Dallas as a winning record with no Super Bowl, then Wade should be gone. That's the ruling for Kubes by Cowboy standards right?
Instead he's getting the same thing that "mediocrity accepting" Houston is giving their coach - one more chance to play out the last year of his contract and using the "improvement" word to back it up - Just like Houston!

Vinny
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
you don't baby step your way to a championship. Teams turn over rosters every 4-5 years or so. The goal is to get into the tournament at the end of the season to give yourself a shot. Every year should be the most important year of the franchise because everyone starts over every year.

El Tejano
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
you don't baby step your way to a championship. Teams turn over rosters every 4-5 years or so. The goal is to get into the tournament at the end of the season to give yourself a shot. Every year should be the most important year of the franchise because everyone starts over every year.

Well it wasn't the teams goal to baby step this year. Their goal was to get into the tournament at the end of the year. You only have to go to every pre season interview where each player said the season would be disappointing if they didn't make the playoffs. I seriously doubt anyone in that locker room, coaches included, said our goal is to be competitive and be at least 9-7.

However, at the end of your season you do go and evaluate your season. Meaning, what are some things we can build on what are some things that hurt us. I would like to think that you can look back on this season and see enough improvement that says to give it one more try with who we have now.

Trust me, if Kubes pulled another 8-8 season I'd be the first on the list of people to see him gone. Heck, I was actually on that list after the second Jville game. Reevaluating the season though made me say "not so fast" though.

Vinny
01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Well it wasn't the teams goal to baby step this year. Their goal was to get into the tournament at the end of the year. You only have to go to every pre season interview where each player said the season would be disappointing if they didn't make the playoffs. I seriously doubt anyone in that locker room, coaches included, said our goal is to be competitive and be at least 9-7.

However, at the end of your season you do go and evaluate your season. Meaning, what are some things we can build on what are some things that hurt us. I would like to think that you can look back on this season and see enough improvement that says to give it one more try with who we have now.

Trust me, if Kubes pulled another 8-8 season I'd be the first on the list of people to see him gone. Heck, I was actually on that list after the second Jville game. Reevaluating the season though made me say "not so fast" though.they were waaaaay to happy with 9-7. The smiles and the elation just turned me off when they beat the Pats. THIS year they were better than the Ratbirds and could have played the Colts better than they did, but the Ratbirds wanted it more I guess. The team should have made it THIS year. Hell, Cushing and Mario could both hurt their knees next season...you never know. This team needs to learn how to seize the moment and play with a sense of urgency BEFORE the elimination games. I find this thread title immensely ironic coming from this fan base. I wish our fan base had more pride than this but it is what it is.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
As much as I truly despise the D:zipit:llas Cowboys. I will admit they ahve one kick-@$$ marketing machine. They are popular around the planet for who knows WHAT reason. I'll give them their due.
Jones on the other hand is a leather faced FREAK who should stay in his damned box when his team is winning OR losing. He NEEDS to focus more on the team improving than on how to better market them or showcase them. As much as I HATE the team who lies North on 45 I have SOME respect for them.

Honey....honey..honey....Jerry is NEVER EVER going to quit marketing the Cowboys. That's what makes him tick. He's quite good at it and why he's a billionaire.

The Cowboys were losing money when Jerry purchased them. They had an indifferent owner in Bright.

If I had the power and could go the "I Dream of Jeanie" poof I'd put Stephen in charge of the FOOTBALL and let Jerry market his heart out.

Jerry's problem is he excels at one and is borderline bad at the other.

He'd never be a GM on any other team but that's a moot point to him. He's owns the darn thing.

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
so achieving the minimum is acceptable too Jones is what Mariotti is stating here, which is contrary to what you have stated the Dallas goal is each year.

dunno...I suppose the article makes as much sense as you spending the last 30-40 days on a tirade against the Texans ownership supposedly being acceptable of a 9-7 record. When I see McNair at practices, games, and the knowledge that he has direct weekly meetings with his GM and coach, that shows an owner not being content with making money, but one obsessed with winning. you agree?

As I said, that is what "Mariotti" is stating. Jones never said it was acceptable in all that I read. He only said that for Wade to save his job he had to go on a run. Jerry may be saying it was a nice season now to save face but he was quoted all year as saying they had a team to make the SB.

Your first statement in paragraph #2 makes no sense. First of all, having a difference of opinion isn't a "tirade." Secondly, my point was never a direct comparison to the Cowboys. I used Cowboy fans/franchise, Colts fans/franchise, Steeler fans/franchise, etc as an example as how 9-7 is not something to celebrate and that it would not be accepted. Wade would be fired at 9-7. It was laid out there. I also never said McNair never wanted to win. I stated that he seemed content at times with sellouts and the money rolling in as long as he kept his good, stable image and the team was doing alright. That includes keeping Carrs and Kubiaks for a little longer than needed. That is my opinion on it. If you want my real opinion I just don't know if he knows what his next step would be without Kubes...not really a football guy.... so he is more content to stay the course.

You wrote this, as your subject states, to prove Cowboy mediocrity and it really just failed when you look at the definition. What is funny is that alot of the Texans fanbase feels the same as I, yet you pick me to go after...or Cowboy fans. Thus the Philly avatar and the Viking avatar. To me that is a sad statement.

they were waaaaay to happy with 9-7. The smiles and the elation just turned me off when they beat the Pats. THIS year they were better than the Ratbirds and could have played the Colts better than they did, but the Ratbirds wanted it more I guess. The team should have made it THIS year. Hell, Cushing and Mario could both hurt their knees next season...you never know. This team needs to learn how to seize the moment and play with a sense of urgency BEFORE the elimination games. I find this thread title immensely ironic coming from this fan base. I wish our fan base had more pride than this but it is what it is.

Read this Silver. Same thing from a Texans fan. Go to the Cowboy v Viking thread and read the last page. Just stop trying to pigeon hole me because I am a Cowboy fan who wants what alot of other Texans fans want....a product with a mindset that isn't built like an expansion team but of one that should be competing for larger things.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
they were waaaaay to happy with 9-7. The smiles and the elation just turned me off when they beat the Pats. THIS year they were better than the Ratbirds and could have played the Colts better than they did, but the Ratbirds wanted it more I guess. The team should have made it THIS year. Hell, Cushing and Mario could both hurt their knees next season...you never know. This team needs to learn how to seize the moment and play with a sense of urgency BEFORE the elimination games. I find this thread title immensely ironic coming from this fan base. I wish our fan base had more pride than this but it is what it is.

So what exactly did you want to see from the team when they beat the Pats, mass suicide because the possibility they wouldn't make the post season was large?

I could understand if players and coaches were giving interviews and press conferences talking about how great of a season we had (which I never saw anything like that) and that they were happy with where they were.

Brando
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think Silver Oak is saying we are content with 9-7. I believe he is just pointing out that Houston Frog has stated over and over that the Texans way of thinking is to accept mediocrity and that with Cowboys it's Super Bowl or nothing.

Many people in that thread said they are cool with the baby steps if it means brining a championship to Houston one day.

I agree with Silver Oak though. If Dallas doesn't accept mediocrity and mediocrity is defined by Dallas as a winning record with no Super Bowl, then Wade should be gone. That's the ruling for Kubes by Cowboy standards right?
Instead he's getting the same thing that "mediocrity accepting" Houston is giving their coach - one more chance to play out the last year of his contract and using the "improvement" word to back it up - Just like Houston!

I was agreeing with Silver Oak as far as us being content with 9-7.:cool: We are not.

The Cardinals finished the season 9-7 last year but struggled down the stretch with that record but still made it to the playoffs and eventually the SB, the Texans on the other hand had a 4 game winning streak to finish out the year strong. It will also be good going into next year and we will go into the year with some swagger. We still need help in the trenches. JMO

Dread-Head
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Honey....honey..honey....Jerry is NEVER EVER going to quit marketing the Cowboys. That's what makes him tick. He's quite good at it and why he's a billionaire.

The Cowboys were losing money when Jerry purchased them. They had an indifferent owner in Bright.

If I had the power and could go the "I Dream of Jeanie" poof I'd put Stephen in charge of the FOOTBALL and let Jerry market his heart out.

Jerry's problem is he excels at one and is borderline bad at the other.

He'd never be a GM on any other team but that's a moot point to him. He's owns the darn thing.

He needs to sit down, shut up and let someone else run the team. Parcells could have done some serious damage with the Cowboys had Jerry not micromanaged him. Why doesn't the old lizzard make himself the new QB?
As much as I dog the Cowboys out, I have to give them credit, they did have a hell of a season. I didn't expect them to make it as far as they did. Like I've said on many occassions. I don't like 'em, but I do respect 'em. :tiphat:

houstonspartan
01-19-2010, 12:57 PM

Amen.

I was also a bit upset at our glee at 9-7. Sure, we finally got our first winning season, but we massively underachieved this year.

What really set me off were comments by McNair and some of the players after the Bengals game. They were slamming the Bengals for not even trying to win their game. We actually wanted someone else to open the door for us to the playoffs. That's not how it works.

And, it's funny you bring up potential injuries. I hate to jinx our guys, but I was just thinking the other day, "I wonder who is going to be our big injury next year?"

Not that I want it to happen, of course. But it's a possibility.

Silver Oak
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I also never said McNair never wanted to win. I stated that he seemed content at times with sellouts and the money rolling in as long as he kept his good, stable image. That includes keeping Carrs and Kubiaks for a little longer than needed.

again...I challenge you to give a quote where McNair has said he seemed content with just making money. if that's your perception, fine, but don't use it as the gospel truth. just because he doesn't thrust himself into micromanaging the team like JJ does, does not mean he's just as interested in winning the trophy each year.

we could use the Nick Folk replacement case to illustrate how micro-managing by the owner can backfire, but you are more than aware of that I'm sure. :)

The Pencil Neck
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
So, if it's "Super Bowl or Nothing", what does "Nothing" mean.

That you're unhappy? Come on. That's impotent.

If you're an owner and your motto is "Super Bowl or Nothing", then if you don't make the SB, then you need to fire a lot of people and make changes. And frankly, that's a stupid strategy because you're going to have too much turnover and you're going to be continually ruining your team, like a David Snyder.

What kills me is all of these lines being drawn in the sand that don't mean anything. If you're going to say it's "Super Bowl or Nothing" then you have to do something drastic if you don't get to the Super Bowl or you're just full of hot air. If you're "not going to accept mediocrity", what does it mean to "not accept"? That you're going to buy tickets, go to the game, and boo? Put you money where your mouth is. Not accepting it means something a lot more drastic than continuing to pay the team's salaries.

And, yes, I think using the term "mediocrity" to apply to the Cowboys' past few years is an incorrect use of the word and fundamentally wrong. I don't like the Cowboys but they haven't been mediocre the past few seasons.

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
again...I challenge you to give a quote where McNair has said he seemed content with just making money. if that's your perception, fine, but don't use it as the gospel truth. just because he doesn't thrust himself into micromanaging the team like JJ does, does not mean he's just as interested in winning the trophy each year.

we could use the Nick Folk replacement case to illustrate how micro-managing by the owner can backfire, but you are more than aware of that I'm sure. :)

My next sentence after what you quoted was "That is my opinion on it." I wrote that before your response came up. I took that from my observations with Carr, Kubes, etc and the fact that the fanbase is restless yet I really don't see much from the guy.

Nick Folk, really? At least use TO and Parcells as an example. I addressed this in the game thread. Nick Folk had already lost games for the Cowboys...chances to win games. He missed an extra point distance FG in the NO game that would have blown a game they owned if the D didn't step up but also would have eliminated them from the playoffs in all likelihood. They signed another guy and he did well enough for the remaining games until this week. What you are suggesting is that a shanking Nick Folk, who missed dinkers and kicks all year and was shown shanking kicks all pregame on the telecast with NO, would have done better. That is just an assinine argument. It is like keeping Kris Brown because he might haunt you later. You take the shot. Suisam didn't lose the Vikings game. I was there!!They shouldn't even have used him past 45 yards and he was just a filler. Their O-line, among other things lost them the game. Suisam will be gone too.

You are also acting like I've never acknowledged Jerry Jones micro-managing. We have had pages of discussions on it here over the years where I have beat the guy to hell for being GM. You just ignore those because it doesn't feed your hate. I think if you stepped back some and saw what I was writing and not a Cowboy fan you'd do alot better. I've never, in 4 years, tried to push Cowboys. Heck my first few years they rarely were mentioned and I stuck to Texans talk. As I told Cak, the only reason now is to somehow sift through the rubbish that is written and to talk shop about how they might do.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
He needs to sit down, shut up and let someone else run the team. Parcells could have done some serious damage with the Cowboys had Jerry not micromanaged him. Why doesn't the old lizzard make himself the new QB?
As much as I dog the Cowboys out, I have to give them credit, they did have a hell of a season. I didn't expect them to make it as far as they did. Like I've said on many occassions. I don't like 'em, but I do respect 'em. :tiphat:

Actually from all I know Jerry is slowly (I mean mind-numbingly slowly) letting his son have a bit more control..for instance with Terrell. Stephen is the one that talked Jerry into letting him go.

I personally think it would take either death or some sort of illness for Jerry to walk away completely. It's just all he knows.

I'm ANXIOUS for Stephen to take over. I bet Frog is too...

Silver Oak
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
My next sentence after what you quoted was "That is my opinion on it." I wrote that before your response came up. I took that from my observations with Carr, Kubes, etc and the fact that the fanbase is restless yet I really don't see much from the guy.

Nick Folk, really? At least use TO and Parcells as an example. I addressed this in the game thread. Nick Folk had already lost games for the Cowboys...chances to win games. He missed an extra point distance FG in the NO game that would have blown a game they owned if the D didn't step up but also would have eliminated them from the playoffs in all likelihood. They signed another guy and he did well enough for the remaining games until this week. What you are suggesting is that a shanking Nick Folk, who missed dinkers and kicks all year and was shown shanking kicks all pregame on the telecast with NO, would have done better. That is just an assinine argument. It is like keeping Kris Brown because he might haunt you later. You take the shot. Suisam didn't lose the Vikings game. I was there!!They shouldn't even have used him past 45 yards and he was just a filler. Their O-line, among other things lost them the game. Suisam will be gone too.

You are also acting like I've never acknowledged Jerry Jones micro-managing. We have had pages of discussions on it here over the years where I have beat the guy to hell for being GM. You just ignore those because it doesn't feed your hate. I think if you stepped back some and saw what I was writing and not a Cowboy fan you'd do alot better. I've never, in 4 years, tried to push Cowboys. Heck my first few years they rarely were mentioned and I stuck to Texans talk. As I told Cak, the only reason now is to somehow sift through the rubbish that is written and to talk shop about how they might do.

I don't want a 7 page thread going back and forth, so I'll cap it here. I thought the article was timely as it basically echoed what you have said about the Texans for the last month or so...but it was interpreted by you as hate, so message lost I suppose.

LOL...by the way...what the heck does it matter if you were at the game or not to see how Suisham's kicks affected the game? seems that I saw the same thing you did, even though "you were there"!

spurstexanstros
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I think we are overlooking the most obvious question.

Why are Jerry Jones and Skeletor never seen together? Are they the same person?...I think so

Did you see his post game interview....even my wife made a comment on him and she is alot nicer than I am.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Cowboys should have gone for those 4th down plays and never put Suisham in position to kick a 48 yard FG or whatever it was. That was just dumb weak coaching.

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't want a 7 page thread going back and forth, so I'll cap it here. I thought the article was timely as it basically echoed what you have said about the Texans for the last month or so...but it was interpreted by you as hate, so message lost I suppose.

LOL...by the way...what the heck does it matter if you were at the game or not to see how Suisham's kicks affected the game? seems that I saw the same thing you did, even though "you were there"!

No. I didn't take it as a hate article. I took it, AS I STATED, as an article with legs that would have been much more impressive if he stuck with why Wade can't win a SB instead of talking nonsense about the 2 division titles and 1 playoff win as mediocre. The Yankees reference was horrible too. The Texans being 9-7 and being 4 years in and the Cowboys last 3 seasons are night and day. Therefore I don't think Jerry accepts mediocre. I just didn't see the application with how it was written.

There is alot to learn being there. The mood, how the team was reacting during TV timeouts, how they looked from above the field where you can see plays developing(line of scrimmage). Stuff that you can't get on TV. I've asked Texans fans about game info because you can't get it from watching TV. Like my point of Roy Williams in the Vikes thread. I didn't say that being there made his kicks any different. I said that from seeing the whole thing live that his misses would not have made a difference. None of us had a feeling from being in that crowd noise, etc that a FG would have given them momentum on that 2nd drive. They needed to finish one of those first 3 drives with TDs or it would get ugly...and it did.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Okay WWJD, Frog:

If somebody wanted to hire Garrett as a HC, would you be terribly upset? What if Garrett was fired?

HoustonFrog
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Okay WWJD, Frog:

If somebody wanted to hire Garrett as a HC, would you be terribly upset? What if Garrett was fired?

Fine by me. Kind of wish he had taken that Ravens job or one of the others years ago. Smart guy. Was a great teammate over the years. But he has a real hard time getting the team into consistent flows. They went on the win streak with some simple things on offense 1) balance 2) get Felix the ball in space 3) somehow get Miles the ball by a) designing plays to get it to him early or b)spreading it to the backs, Witten and Ogletree to back the defense off. In the Vikes game they did that for 3 possessions, with Felix being the main cog. Then Barber started getting carries, the game bogged down. They were forced to throw and the line crumbled. That has been the knock on Garrett. Fans see it. Teammates see it and mention it after games. Yet somehow Garrett misses some easy matchup issues and he won't stick with success. What is the saying, consistently inconsistent.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Okay WWJD, Frog:

I'd do this....:smiliedance:

I wish he was gone. He's too inconsistent. Has a hard time making adjustments.

He can call a really fine game one week and the next they look lost. Like last week...run Tony out to the side..do SOMETHING to get the rush off him. Tony has great escapability and Jason just kept calling plays that got him killed.

Why was Barber in there so much? That was dumb.

Problem is nobody's calling that I have heard.

Hagar
01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh, we gotta play Caption the Pic with this:

From Revenge of the Nerds:

Jerry Jones: What are you looking at, nerd?

Wade "Booger" Phillips: I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche-bag, but that's in Ohio.

StarStruck
01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh, we gotta play Caption the Pic with this:

From Revenge of the Nerds:

Jerry Jones: What are you looking at, nerd?

Wade "Booger" Phillips: I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche-bag, but that's in Ohio.

I would have expected the above under rivalry talk.

I am not singing Garrett praises, and haven't since his first year as OC. The first year it really appeared that he was heir apparant to HC, and I thought he would be tempted to leave. The next year, there were big question marks, and by the third year, I was more OMG I hope not.

One of my favorite quotes by Jerry (he has many that I like) was when asked about Wade's future a few weeks ago. He said that he felt good about Wade as a head coach and was not planning any changes at that time, however he would like to see that good feeling ratified by some success.

Double Barrel
01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Shoot, you can't represent an entire country when you're barely the best NFL team in Texas, with the Houston Texans finally shedding their post-expansion rut to become very competitive.

Does Mariotti work for the Texans marketing department? :mcnugget:

The Texans just barely got a whiff of the playoff scent after 8 years of futility, and they are now somehow almost equal to a team that not only won their division, but won a playoff game?

I don't even care for the Cowboys, but I can't buy into a fool's logic.

Pass the glue. *sniff* *sniff* :boogie:

WWJD
01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Who's the massive guy standing next to Jerry and why isn't he suited up?

Star Struck? Frog?

StarStruck
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Star Struck? Frog?

I have no idea but he does look as though he should be suited up.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 03:25 PM
My guess is Bobby Carpenter.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Nope..Bobby Carpenter plays. No 54 I think.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
I have no idea but he does look as though he should be suited up.

Just wondering..look how big he is..even up against Garrett and he played pro ball.

StarStruck
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
My guess is Bobby Carpenter.

You are the missing link - goodbye:)

Right. I bought his jersey the year he was drafted. I haven't been too motivated to wear it since the rookie year. Perhaps if he continues to improve he will be back in the rotation.

That dude is as big as Jared Allen. He was one of three (Adrian Peterson and Willis Magahee(sp?) feature on a recent episode of MTV Cribs. One of his vehicles was a vintage customized Cadillac with long horns on the hood. He is an interesting individual.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Only in the loosest sense of the word :) Can anybody fault me for guessing him, anybody?

Brando
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM

Star Struck? Frog?

My guess would be Pat McQuistan(OL) he was an inactive.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Good guess..and probably right.

Definitely a big guy!

WWJD
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Only in the loosest sense of the word :) Can anybody fault me for guessing him, anybody?

Actually Bobby played ok last few games. But what a bust! Big time. Every year I wonder how does this guy make money on an NFL squad?

That one is on big Bill..his pick.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM

I always thought McQuistan brothers were much much much uglier than that guy.

WWJD
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
You are the missing link - goodbye:)

Right. I bought his jersey the year he was drafted. I haven't been too motivated to wear it since the rookie year. Perhaps if he continues to improve he will be back in the rotation.

That dude is as big as Jared Allen. He was one of three (Adrian Peterson and Willis Magahee(sp?) feature on a recent episode of MTV Cribs. One of his vehicles was a vintage customized Cadillac with long horns on the hood. He is an interesting individual.

It's Cowboys football blasphemy to have that guy wear the same number as the great Randy White...

DexmanC
01-19-2010, 05:47 PM
So what exactly did you want to see from the team when they beat the Pats, mass suicide because the possibility they wouldn't make the post season was large?
I could understand if players and coaches were giving interviews and press conferences talking about how great of a season we had (which I never saw anything like that) and that they were happy with where they were.

Nice hyperbole, there. Damn-near gatorade-bathing their coach for going
9-7. Winning is a MINDSET in the NFL. Every loss is supposed to HURT.
Our guys have a Club Med attitude there, and they haven't learned that
talent alone doesn't = championship.

Hell, we're just hoping for a PLAYOFF APPEARANCE, here.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 05:52 PM

It's good you can speak about the team as though you're their licensed therapist. From the pressers and the interviews I saw nobody was patting themselves on the back. They were happy they beat the Patriots (Just like I was, ho ho ho), but nobody was pleased with themselves that they had to rely on the Jets, Ravens and Bronco's losing.

But that's okay, DexmanC has got his finger close to the pulse of this team and is letting us in on the scoop. And you will not be happy when he breaks his next story about how Kubes sings the word "Mediocrity!" to himself in the shower.

DexmanC
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM
It's good you can speak about the team as though you're their licensed therapist. From the pressers and the interviews I saw nobody was patting themselves on the back. They were happy they beat the Patriots (Just like I was, ho ho ho), but nobody was pleased with themselves that they had to rely on the Jets, Ravens and Bronco's losing.

But that's okay, DexmanC has got his finger close to the pulse of this team and is letting us in on the scoop. And you will not be happy when he breaks his next story about how Kubes sings the word "Mediocrity!" to himself in the shower.

You're right. Where do I get a pack of that Kool-Aid? Go easy on the sugar.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 05:59 PM
You're right. Where do I get a pack of that Kool-Aid? Go easy on the sugar.

HEB has it for the cheapest but Kroger stocks my favorite flavor:

Windows on a short bus.

The Pencil Neck
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Talk about hyperbole.

You have no idea what anyone thinks or feels except yourself.

I agree that players need to feel each loss as though their heart was ripped out. I agree that players should feel that 9-7 is not satisfactory and that they should have gone 19-0 every year and that anything less isn't good enough. But you've got no way of knowing if any of our players have a Club Med attitude let alone all of them.

And another thing I'd like to say.... We're not players. We are fans. We can think and feel and say things that players can't. We don't need to feel each loss as though our heart was torn out. We can look at 9-7 and think that's satisfactory. We can look past weak teams and assume we're going to win. We can look ahead at the schedule.

The big difference here is that the players have the power to do something about it. They're in a position to "not accept" losing. We aren't. I think some people make a fundamental mistake and think they have to think and feel the way a player has to think and feel and I think that's unnecessary and bound to make those people unhappy with whatever team they choose to follow.

infantrycak
01-19-2010, 06:27 PM

News flash, 9-7 was a winning season (the 1st in Texans history) and the contemplated and rejected gatorade bath came after a winning game. I mean I know it is just so hard to contemplate that a bunch of twenty year olds who just beat a good team would be happy or that just finished a franchise 1st would be happy. Maybe next time you can mail them all cards and tell them how they should sulk after a winning game and season like you or better yet send a card to Kubiak about how poor his coaching was that they weren't sulking after a win. That would have certainly been good leadership - to walk back into the locker room and tell them they are all underachieving losers with nothing to be proud of so clear out your crap.

DexmanC
01-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Talk about hyperbole.

You have no idea what anyone thinks or feels except yourself.

I agree that players need to feel each loss as though their heart was ripped out. I agree that players should feel that 9-7 is not satisfactory and that they should have gone 19-0 every year and that anything less isn't good enough. But you've got no way of knowing if any of our players have a Club Med attitude let alone all of them.

And another thing I'd like to say.... We're not players. We are fans. We can think and feel and say things that players can't. We don't need to feel each loss as though our heart was torn out. We can look at 9-7 and think that's satisfactory. We can look past weak teams and assume we're going to win. We can look ahead at the schedule.

The big difference here is that the players have the power to do something about it. They're in a position to "not accept" losing. We aren't. I think some people make a fundamental mistake and think they have to think and feel the way a player has to think and feel and I think that's unnecessary and bound to make those people unhappy with whatever team they choose to follow.

So, I should ignore Amobi Okoye when questioned about the home collapse
against Indy:

Texans DT Amobi Okoye (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5862)
(on the difference between the first and second half) “Pretty
much them making plays and us not making plays. I think
we were probably a little bit too relaxed and we have to
know who we’re dealing with on the other side of the ball.

I think Amobi's just a young guy who's not yet "media saavy." What we
get out of him, much like a child, is unfiltered truth. I'm sure he was
raked over the coals for making a comment like that, after they blew
3-score halftime lead. It still doesn't change the fact that we heard an
awful lot about how much HALO and Madden these players take part
in from their radio shows all season long.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
against Indy:

Yes that quote right there is so damning. Screw these players and their Madden and HALO they should be in the gym or the film room! Screw off-time they are not good enough!

Really? Really? That's what you're going to hang your hat on? A .5 second blurb from an interview in which the player said that they were playing relaxed? I'm sure it's on the coaches too, because at half-time they probably said "Hey you guys you are screwing this up! We can't play like this anymore, everybody just go out and half-ass it."

EDIT: This post sounds overly harsh but I'll leave it how it is. I'll just state that yes the defense needs to improve and the coaches do need to motivate these players to do better overall, but I am not of the mind that we need to scrap it and get new players/coaches yet. Maybe I'm traumatized from being a Texans/Oiler fan but I see improvement each year. Mark me down with fine with above average as long as the progress continues.

JB
01-19-2010, 06:56 PM

No offense dude, but I wish you could go back and read some of your posts from earlier this year and get back some of the optimism back that you used to have. 2009 is done and gone. Look forward to good things in 2010 and be happy!:doot:

DexmanC
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
No offense dude, but I wish you could go back and read some of your posts from earlier this year and get back some of the optimism back that you used to have. 2009 is done and gone. Look forward to good things in 2010 and be happy!:doot:

You're right. I'm staring at the ice tray right now. It's sitting next to
a glass of Battle Red Kool-Aid. I just don't know if I should crack that
tray, and drop in a couple cubes. I probably won't be right, until the
end of week one, when the Texans start 1-0. They haven't done that
since they played a bad Chief's team in '07. Since then, they've been
run out of the buiding on the 1st game of the season.

If Rex Ryan pulls a miracle, and beats Peyton, I'm sure some people will
justify those humiliations.

....staring at that tray of ice. C'mon Texans..

SHOW ME SOMETHIN'!

thunderkyss
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Not only that, but it was after their week 17 game, and they were still alive for a wild-card.

infantrycak
01-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I probably won't be right, until the
end of week one, when the Texans start 1-0. They haven't done that
since they played a bad Chief's team in '07. Since then, they've been
run out of the buiding on the 1st game of the season. !

By a team that won the SB and one in the Conference Championship game.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
against Indy:

That's not the damning club med evidence to me that it seems to be for you.

They were up by three scores, everything they'd been doing was working, he was feeling confident about winning. He was feeling loose and relaxed.

I don't see the problem there. That's not Club Med. And the fact that professional ball players have some free time during the season doesn't freak me out either. It's not like some of the Colts guys aren't playing Halo and Madden.

b0ng
01-20-2010, 02:35 AM
That's not the damning club med evidence to me that it seems to be for you.

They were up by three scores, everything they'd been doing was working, he was feeling confident about winning. He was feeling loose and relaxed.

I don't see the problem there. That's not Club Med. And the fact that professional ball players have some free time during the season doesn't freak me out either. It's not like some of the Colts guys aren't playing Halo and Madden.

Does Peyton seem like a Madden guy to you?

thunderkyss
01-20-2010, 02:48 AM

This "gatorade-bathing" thing, are we talking about how they acted after the game? in the locker room & on the sideline?

I don't think that was a reflection on the season, but the fact that they were happy they won the game. Especially in the locker room, how can you fault them for being happy after winning a game, and keeping their play-off hopes alive, if only for a few more hours?

thunderkyss
01-20-2010, 02:55 AM
If Rex Ryan pulls a miracle, and beats Peyton, I'm sure some people will
justify those humiliations.

I felt justified when Rex Ryan smacked Bellichick & Fisher in the weeks following our loss.

Ryan's good at what he does, and there is no doubt that 9-7 team is playing better than the 9-7 team from the year before.

thunderkyss
01-20-2010, 02:58 AM

I think he spends his time playing ping-pong with Justin Timberlake & studying Mandarin Chinese.

:clown:

HoustonFrog
01-20-2010, 09:19 AM
In listening to the interview in the link he is basically saying that wade gets respect because he is a real coach an coaches the defense. So really "Head Coach" is just a name. So the other head coach, Garrett, should really be under fire

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4840130

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Not only is head coach Wade Phillips returning for the 2010 season, he might be with the Dallas Cowboys even longer.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones told ESPN that he's working on a contract extension for Phillips. The team has already decided to pick up Phillips' team option for 2010, but Jones wants the coach back for 2011 as well.

Jones has been consistent in saying he values what Phillips has done for the team this season, especially the defense. Yet he didn't make any announcements regarding a contract extension until Tuesday.

"We've got to work out the details of what we want to do besides the option, but I want him back," Jones said on ESPNEWS. "I said that early in the season before we got on the run that we got on at the end."

WWJD
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
In listening to the interview in the link he is basically saying that wade gets respect because he is a real coach an coaches the defense. So really "Head Coach" is just a name. So the other head coach, Garrett, should really be under fire

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4840130

Dallas does have 2 head coaches Frog...Garrett makes the same amount as Wade and he has total control over the offense. Wade doesn't even involve himself with the offense.

He never even goes to offensive meetings. It's all on Garrett and the other offensive assistants.

HoustonFrog
01-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Dallas does have 2 head coaches Frog...Garrett makes the same amount as Wade and he has total control over the offense. Wade doesn't even involve himself with the offense.

He never even goes to offensive meetings. It's all on Garrett and the other offensive assistants.

Exactly. A Head Coach would have authority to nix some calls on offense, etc. He has no authority on that. He is Head Coach in name but is D Coordinator in reality.

WWJD
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Exactly. A Head Coach would have authority to nix some calls on offense, etc. He has no authority on that. He is Head Coach in name but is D Coordinator in reality.

I saw where Chan is going to be the offensive coordinator in Buffalo..so they will have the same situation I imagine.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Peyton's not a defensive tackle who's less than 25 years old.

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2010, 10:57 AM

But I think that shift happened over time. Originally, I think he was acting as the head coach but when the defense was struggling, he took over the DC duties and his HC duties lightened.

HoustonFrog
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
But I think that shift happened over time. Originally, I think he was acting as the head coach but when the defense was struggling, he took over the DC duties and his HC duties lightened.

Definitely. But I don't look at him as a guy, and Jerry admits this, who is walking around overseeing the whole shop. Garrett is the Offensive Coordinator/Head Coach on his side. I'm not sure if when he started Wade even had authority to override playcalls because Garrett was hand picked from the start.

Texan_Bill
01-20-2010, 11:23 AM

The only graphic I care about is the 34-3!!! :spin:

WWJD
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Wade doesn't even go to offensive meetings. The offense is totally run by Garrett. Wade probably decides whether to go for a 4th down and that would be it. It's always been Garrett doing all the playcalling.

They have 2 head coaches.

WWJD
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Definitely. But I don't look at him as a guy, and Jerry admits this, who is walking around overseeing the whole shop. Garrett is the Offensive Coordinator/Head Coach on his side. I'm not sure if when he started Wade even had authority to override playcalls because Garrett was hand picked from the start.

yep! That's exactly why Garrett has been thought to be the next HC after Wade.

Because he's getting head coaching experience right now is why...all they'd need to do is hire a new DC.

Grams
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
The boys just gave Wade a 2 year extention ontop of the option year they picked up.

StarStruck
01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
WWJD, Houston Frog in particular. Ideas for others. OMG, I can't believe how drab my Woman Cave just became.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=5494752

WWJD
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
The boys just gave Wade a 2 year extention ontop of the option year they picked up.

Thanks for the information

WWJD
01-21-2010, 03:04 PM
WWJD, Houston Frog in particular. Ideas for others. OMG, I can't believe how drab my Woman Cave just became.

Oh my..major bucks invested there.

StarStruck
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh my..major bucks invested there.

Indeed as well as a basement.

HoustonFrog
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the information

It is actually one year. 2011. So he had 2 total.

That is awesome. That is a serious investment. I need one of those....financed through the Texas Lottery

WWJD
01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm more into the "no clutter" look.

Some fans love their clutter! To each his own; goodness knows if the NFL can stick a team logo on anything and sell it they will.

Texecutioner
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Well then you clearly didn't watch the news and the interviews that took place after the game that day. Kubes was treated like he won a BcS Bowl or something.

thunderkyss
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Well then you clearly didn't watch the news and the interviews that took place after the game that day. Kubes was treated like he won a BcS Bowl or something.

Are you saying there should have been no celebrating at all?

You're going to have to provide a link.

I saw the interviews, & I didn't see anything inappropriate. I definitely didn't see anything that wasn't warranted.

b0ng
01-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Yeah cause they beat the Pats.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah cause they beat the Pats.

They beat that Pats and their playoff hopes were still alive.

infantrycak
01-22-2010, 10:52 AM

This criticism has about as much merit as the witty Denny's menu references as if every head coach in the playoffs didn't have the same thing.

Second Honeymoon
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

He was pretty giddy at the presser and the media were very congratulatory. That is just par for the course around here though. Gary gets a free pass from the myopic sheeple because he is from Houston, as if that actually means something. Who the F cares? Just give us a coach that actually has a pulse. Please.

Kubiak better turn this thing around and I hope that McNair doesn't give him the 'we believe in you' contract extension that he gave Carr. We know how well that worked out for us. Just let him play out his deal and if that ain't good enough, screw the guy. next stop unemployment line. he hasn't shown that he is anything but a .500 coach...and frankly, that isn't good enough no matter how many times the homering sheeple act like he won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Who the hell did they beat? Bengals and a half-asleep Patriots with nothing to play for? Whoopty freaking doo...and their win v. the Titans was gift wrapped from Collins himself and were very fortunate to win that game.

I am sorry, but Gary isn't a good head coach, no matter how many times the sheeple say he is. A good head coach doesn't need half a decade to turn a team around. Just look at the recent success of rookie head coaches. Some guys have it and some guys don't. Gary doesn't and its clear to anyone that isn't a homering moron.

Luckily, we have improved our talent level on the team and we had a powder puff schedule this past year, so we were able to salvage a 9-7 record. Whoopty freaking doo. lets have a damn parade. I was surprised some of the yayhoos around here didn't have another parade when their 'rival' the Cowboys lost last week. Seems like most people were more happy about the Cowboys losing then if the Texans would have won a playoff game. Such ignorance, envy, and stupidity is really something to marvel at. Will our fans in this town ever grow up? They act like Dallas slept with their wife or something. Yeah, Cowboys fans tend to be front runners and you don't see any gear being worn unless they are having a good year, and that is kinda lame....but is it any more lame than acting like the Cowboys are a rival and that they are the enemy of the Texans. The enemy is in this order, Titans, Titans, Titans, Colts, Jags. Those are our rivals and the list ends there. you cant play 3 times in a decade and call it a rivalry. that is just stupidity.

ChampionTexan
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
This criticism has about as much merit as the witty Denny's menu references as if every head coach in the playoffs didn't have the same thing.

Perhaps we could have the coaching staff create and print a flow-chart, not dissimilar to the Denny's Menu, but more along the lines of the two-point conversion chart, and use that flowchart to inform the players of the appropriate amount of public celebration.

1. Did you win?
a. If no, go to point two.
b. If yes go to point three.

2. Do not celebrate.
a. End of flowchart

3. Are you still alive in the playoffs?
a. If no, go to point 2.
b. If yes, go to point 4.

4. Have you clinched playoff spot?
a. If no, go to point 5.
b. If yes, go to point 6.

5. Wait 8 hours (give or take) and go to point 7.

6. Celebrate your asses off (But with some amount of reserve lest folks think you're happy just to be there).
a. End of flowchart

7. Did the Bengals defeat the Jets?
a. If no, go to point 8 (or point 2 - team choice).
b. If yes, go to point 6.

8. Outwardly demonstrate proper level of anger/happiness/frustration for
benefit of fanbase (even though the game's been over for about 8 hours).
a. End of flowchart

Of course, the actual flowchart will need to be graphical in order to be easier to use, and it will need to be expanded drastically to reflect all of the different possibilities that exist for the other 15 games in a regular season).

infantrycak
01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Who the hell did they beat? Bengals and a half-asleep Patriots with nothing to play for? Whoopty freaking doo...and their win v. the Titans was gift wrapped from Collins himself and were very fortunate to win that game.

Yeah and the Colts, Jags and Titans were gift wrapped wins by Slaton, Moats, Brown and the other Brown. See how that works.

houstonspartan
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
He was pretty giddy at the presser and the media were very congratulatory. That is just par for the course around here though. Gary gets a free pass from the myopic sheeple because he is from Houston, as if that actually means something. Who the F cares? Just give us a coach that actually has a pulse. Please.

Kubiak better turn this thing around and I hope that McNair doesn't give him the 'we believe in you' contract extension that he gave Carr. We know how well that worked out for us. Just let him play out his deal and if that ain't good enough, screw the guy. next stop unemployment line. he hasn't shown that he is anything but a .500 coach...and frankly, that isn't good enough no matter how many times the homering sheeple act like he won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Who the hell did they beat? Bengals and a half-asleep Patriots with nothing to play for? Whoopty freaking doo...and their win v. the Titans was gift wrapped from Collins himself and were very fortunate to win that game.

I am sorry, but Gary isn't a good head coach, no matter how many times the sheeple say he is. A good head coach doesn't need half a decade to turn a team around. Just look at the recent success of rookie head coaches. Some guys have it and some guys don't. Gary doesn't and its clear to anyone that isn't a homering moron.

Luckily, we have improved our talent level on the team and we had a powder puff schedule this past year, so we were able to salvage a 9-7 record. Whoopty freaking doo. lets have a damn parade. I was surprised some of the yayhoos around here didn't have another parade when their 'rival' the Cowboys lost last week. Seems like most people were more happy about the Cowboys losing then if the Texans would have won a playoff game. Such ignorance, envy, and stupidity is really something to marvel at. Will our fans in this town ever grow up? They act like Dallas slept with their wife or something. Yeah, Cowboys fans tend to be front runners and you don't see any gear being worn unless they are having a good year, and that is kinda lame....but is it any more lame than acting like the Cowboys are a rival and that they are the enemy of the Texans. The enemy is in this order, Titans, Titans, Titans, Colts, Jags. Those are our rivals and the list ends there. you cant play 3 times in a decade and call it a rivalry. that is just stupidity.

Very well said, and I agree on all points.

After the New England game, everyone was really happy and excited. For some reason, I had an empty, hollow feeling. I couldn't explain why. I knew that, technically, a winning season is a good thing and a major milestone for the team, but, for some reason, I couldn't get excited about it. The ending of this season just didn't sit well with me.

I've said it before, and I think it bears repeating: The issue with Kubiak goes back to his personality. He's a great guy. People want him to win. This isn't about his personality, which we can all agree is great. This is about him as a football coach. Not to be insulting, but I think a lot of people are blinded by the nice guy thing, and don't look clearly at the coach thing.

With your permission, I'd like to use this line in my signature, because I think it's brilliant: "Will our fans in this town ever grow up?"

Oh, and one more thing: If Rex Ryan takes his team to the Super Bowl, Bob McNair should be embarrassed and humilated.

thunderkyss
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
that isn't good enough no matter how many times the homering sheeple act like he won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. .

Help me out here, can you name the sheeple acting like Kubiak won the Super Bowl?

Grams
01-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Some of you guys are upset because the fans and media and players were happy after a win?

A win that gave us our first winning season? No more "well we've never won anything.

A win over the Pats that played their starters most of the game? Belicek doesn't play his starters to lose.

A win that still had us in the playoff hunt for the first time?

Any those fans that were happy - they need to grow up?

There seems to be a few posters here that need some anger management classes. This is just a game, entertainment only. It is not life or death or someone messing with your spouse or kids. It is just a game. A game one has no control over the outcome. It's like someone at work pissed you off so you come home and "kick the cat". You are letting others control your life.

I am a fan. I was happy they won and beat the Pats. I was happy they had a winning season. I was happy they still has a chance at the playoffs (even tho it was a slim one). I was also happy that the team did not quit after that horrible 4 game losing streak. Was I happy with the losses? NO. But I did not let it ruin my day.

Does any of us have any control over who owns the Texans, who coaches the Texans, who the Texans draft, who plays in the games or what plays are called in the games? The only control you have is whether or not you want to spend your money on them. That is your choice.

I come to this board to get news and info on the Texans. The breakdowns of the games and how the players played by people who have played the game is very interesting and also a learning experience from one who has only been a fan of football for a very long time.

But the recent outbreak of only negativity of some posters (that I had a high opinion of) is getting very old very fast. I like the discussions and the difference of opinions, but it seems like every thread keeps getting hijacked to a rant of Kubiak must go. And you tell me I need to grow up?

Scooter
01-23-2010, 09:09 AM
edit: not worth it.

a better sig however might be ... "i cant see the forest for the trees".

JB
01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Very well put Grams! Rep to you. It seems that some forget that this is just a game that we enjoy watching.

Beer and Metal
01-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm reminded of the groundskeepers in Major League while the Indians are on their way to a pennant:

"They're still s**tty!"

b0ng
01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
<Snip the dumb stuff>

Maybe you could make every thread on here about Kubiak and why he should be fired and what constitutes a bad fan. I'm sure it'll go down just as well as your thread about why Kubiak should be fired from about a week ago.

HoustonFrog
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
This would seem to fit here

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/012910dnspoarcher.3e8ec70.html

They answered those questions, but with the arrival of 2010, the new question is whether Romo and the Cowboys can reach the Super Bowl.

"That's good, because that means the expectations are higher," Romo said. "If your expectations aren't a Super Bowl, then you're probably not doing things the right way. We're not playing this game just to make the playoffs and have a good time. It's about getting better, winning Super Bowls and being the player you can be, and enjoying the process."

WWJD
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
This would seem to fit here

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/012910dnspoarcher.3e8ec70.html

Tony's right. He's had an attitude adjustment. Just a year prior he was saying he loved playing but if they lost oh well..that's not his whole life.

Heck when he's on the field if he's not thinking winning, improving and getting to the big game I frankly don't want him on the team.

That's got to be the goal.