PDA

View Full Version : Matt Would Play The Probowl/*UPDATE* Added to Probowl roster

gary
01-18-2010, 11:31 AM
That is what would happen if Indy wins.

Texans34Life
01-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought Roethlisberger was the 1st alternate?

gary
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Is he?

Thorn
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
he would be the backup or something? If so, that's a good enough reason to cheer for Indy this weekend.

gary
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I think so.

Khari
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
i can't cheer for indy.....

El Tejano
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm a Peyton hater!

TEXANS84
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Schaub is alternate #2, two QB's would have to drop out if he's going to get invited.
Roethlisberger is alternate #1, first call.

gary
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, I got all gaga for nothing.

ChampionTexan
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Schaub is alternate #2, two QB's would have to drop out if he's going to get invited.
Roethlisberger is alternate #1, first call.

There's probably a decent chance Brady skips out due to injury(s), and just the fact that it seems like it doesn't take much these days for players (especially QBs) to not want to play in this thing. Don't know whether the game being in Miami makes that more or less an issue.

gary
01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
It would be big Matt if he were to play and play well.

ObsiWan
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
i can't cheer for indy.....

Better them than the Jets.
can they both lose? LOL

Hookem Horns
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
So Schaub needs to hope he gets in the same way Vince Young got in a few years ago by having several people decide they are not going.

Pollardized
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
can they both lose? LOL

Obsi my man, I have to disagree. It is way better to cheer for the Jets, and here's my top 10 reasons why:

1. They are not the Colts.
2. They are not the Turdans.
3. Like the Texans, they are overshadowed by another instate team (in their situation, intown team).
4. Rex Ryan is what we all secretly wish Gary Kubiak would be - ballsy and straight to the point. He plays smash mouth football, isn't afraid to take a chance when needed, and would probably fight any of his players on the 50 yard line if needed.
5. They are not our inbred relative team, the Broncos.
6. They don't own us like Forehead and the Colts do.
7. Vince Young doesn't play for them.
8. After that first game, Bart Scott called the Texans a finesse team, thus starting the change in attitude of our defense to what it was at the end of the season.
9. I want to see the Jets D against either the Saints or the Vikes offense.
10. They are not the cowgirls.

DeMarCushPoll
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
can they both lose? LOL

I'm torn between:

1) hoping the jets get knocked off for not deserving to be there in the first place and

2) hoping the colts get knocked off for laying down like dogs and allowing the jets in

:pissed:

hobie
01-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm torn between:

1) hoping the jets get knocked off for not deserving to be there in the first place and

2) hoping the colts get knocked off for laying down like dogs and allowing the jets in

:pissed:

Just asking, how are the Jets not deserving? Because Indy and Cincy both rested guys after they had playoff spots clinched? Houston would have backed in if they would have made it. So I cannot agree with the Jets not deserving to be there. They played to win, so they deserve it as much as any team did.
Now you can say you are pi$$ed because Indy took a night off, but don't blame them for that, I think resting when you still had a perfect season to play for was more a pi$$er than losing to the Jets. As a fan, I would have loved to see perfection, even if it was Indy. "laying" down is their option, they deserved to do it !

WWJD
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I realize most players want to play in the PB because of the honor and all that but doesn't Matt have a bum shoulder?

eh...I wouldn't want to risk further injury in a game that doesn't mean anything in the long run. Unless he can't injure himself worse by playing. I got pics in my head of Sam Bradford coming in and getting driven into the turf and that was all she wrote....

I totally get him playing in the Texans games. But the Pro Bowl?

DeMarCushPoll
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Just asking, how are the Jets not deserving? Because Indy and Cincy both rested guys after they had playoff spots clinched? Houston would have backed in if they would have made it. So I cannot agree with the Jets not deserving to be there. They played to win, so they deserve it as much as any team did.
Now you can say you are pi$$ed because Indy took a night off, but don't blame them for that, I think resting when you still had a perfect season to play for was more a pi$$er than losing to the Jets. As a fan, I would have loved to see perfection, even if it was Indy. "laying" down is their option, they deserved to do it !

Ok, I don't think I mentioned anything about Houston deserving to be in the playoffs. As far as the Jets, yeah they played to win that's what they're supposed to do and so are ALL other teams.

hobie
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok, I don't think I mentioned anything about Houston deserving to be in the playoffs. As far as the Jets, yeah they played to win that's what they're supposed to do and so are ALL other teams.

I disagree.. you play to win the division first, then if lucky enough to secure home field, you have the right to rest guys.. that's the benefit of being a good team. Now I am as a fan more upset they laid down when they still had a perfect season to play for. As for Cincinnati, they were not going to go any higher in the seedings, so I can get their point as well.. they won their division, so they could do what they thought best for the team.
Teams tank games at the end of the season as well to get a higher draft slot, so it is the exact same scenario. You cannot punish a team for playing well all season and when they have things locked up, well then so be it.. they earned that right. NY deserved to be there plain and simple. Now let's see them beat Indy at full strength..If they can do that, then winning Sunday will mean a lot more.

Ryan
01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
There's just no chance in hell i will ever stoop to pulling for Indy. Matt could still get in by some other chance anyway.

TexCanada
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I disagree.. you play to win the division first, then if lucky enough to secure home field, you have the right to rest guys.. that's the benefit of being a good team. Now I am as a fan more upset they laid down when they still had a perfect season to play for. As for Cincinnati, they were not going to go any higher in the seedings, so I can get their point as well.. they won their division, so they could do what they thought best for the team.
Teams tank games at the end of the season as well to get a higher draft slot, so it is the exact same scenario. You cannot punish a team for playing well all season and when they have things locked up, well then so be it.. they earned that right. NY deserved to be there plain and simple. Now let's see them beat Indy at full strength..If they can do that, then winning Sunday will mean a lot more.

I completely agree with this. The Jets have been a very lucky team lately with their opponents laying down in the last 2 games of the regular season, and the kickers missing 5 field goals against them in the 2 playoff games. Nonetheless, they still won the games and took advantage of their situation.

If we don't like it, well then maybe we should have done something about it. We only needed one more win to eliminate this whole idea. We could have beat the Jets, or the Jags, or the Cards...we had way too many opportunities to complain about anything.

Lucky
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
6. They don't own us like Forehead and the Colts do.

Maybe not. But the Jets have defeated the Texans each time they've met (4-0).

Pollardized
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe not. But the Jets have defeated the Texans each time they've met (4-0).

Still not the same as the colts... But I hear what you're saying. I just kind of like the Jets now, and especially Rex Ryan...

wagonhed
01-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't root for Indy to win if it meant our entire team played in the pro bowl. There is only one thing on this entire planet that can make me root for Indy, and that is if the Texans need them to win to advance to the playoffs. Otherwise, they can die in a fire (the team, not the people!).

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought Roethlisberger was the 1st alternate?

Tom Brady never goes to pro bowls.

Buffi2
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I can't root for Indy. No matter how prevalent it is, throwing games is unacceptable. I hope the Jets continue their lucky streak cuz it is going to take some luck to beat Peyton.

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Colts could feel very dumb if the Jets hang an ass whooping on them.

dalemurphy
01-19-2010, 09:01 AM
So Schaub needs to hope he gets in the same way Vince Young got in a few years ago by having several people decide they are not going.

He's already screwed that up by completing passes and not throwing more interceptions than TDs!

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 09:02 AM
He's already screwed that up by completing passes and not throwing more interceptions than TDs!

Word. And being born white.

HOU-TEX
01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I can't root for Indy. No matter how prevalent it is, throwing games is unacceptable. I hope the Jets continue their lucky streak cuz it is going to take some luck to beat Peyton.

Throwing games? Geez, you can't blame the Colts for resting their players. They took care of business when they needed to and won the right to do as they wish the last couple 2-3 games.

Blame the Texans. They were the ones that failed to take care of their business when they needed to. If we wouldn't have shot ourselves in the foot in just one of our 6 close losses, we would've walked into the playoffs without having to worry about other teams "throwing games"

b0ng
01-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I have a feeling Matt will play in the PB this year. Hell if Derek "freakin" Anderson can so can Schaub. My guess is Brady and Manning sit out of the PB.

HuttoKarl
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd rather the Colts win so we can beat them twice next season and take over.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Ric Flair said that...WOOOO!!!

Buffi2
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
HOU-TEX;1351056]Blame the Texans.

Just because your argument is rational is no reason to adhere to it. I prefer to blame the other guy.:hides: Not quite as grown up; but it makes me happy.:thinking:

you can't blame the Colts for resting their players. They took care of business when they needed to and won the right to do as they wish the last couple 2-3 games.

Winning the right doesn't make it right. Resting a few players is one thing - giving up on the chance for a "perfect season" and losing two perfectly winnable games is dumb.

If we wouldn't have shot ourselves in the foot in just one of our 6 close losses, we would've walked into the playoffs

Speaking of teams doing dumb things - now there is a perfect example - but I choose not to dwell on it as it pi**es me off. I'll go back to blaming someone else.:worldpeace:

HOU-TEX
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Just because your argument is rational is no reason to adhere to it. I prefer to blame the other guy.:hides: Not quite as grown up; but it makes me happy.:thinking:

Winning the right doesn't make it right. Resting a few players is one thing - giving up on the chance for a "perfect season" and losing two perfectly winnable games is dumb.

Speaking of teams doing dumb things - now there is a perfect example - but I choose not to dwell on it as it pi**es me off. I'll go back to blaming someone else.:worldpeace:

I know you're just funnin, but what if we were in a similar situation? Let's pretend we had taken care of business and had already clinched a spot going into the final two weeks. We had guys like Cushing, Schaub, Dreessen, Duane Brown, Mario, Cody, AJ, etc. all nicked up and gassed. Would you play them or sit them?

Sit them for the benefit of the team, not the fans.

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I'd rather the Colts win so we can beat them twice next season and take over.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Ric Flair said that...WOOOO!!!

The Jets are a team that is way better than their record says. If I had to pick a team still in the play-offs to play, they are damn near it I believe. That D and run game are freakin scary. I would not be suprised if they take care of the Colts.

Buffi2
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I know you're just funnin, but what if we were in a similar situation? Let's pretend we had taken care of business and had already clinched a spot going into the final two weeks. We had guys like Cushing, Schaub, Dreessen, Duane Brown, Mario, Cody, AJ, etc. all nicked up and gassed. Would you play them or sit them?

Sit them for the benefit of the team, not the fans.

Given the same circumstances, I fear I would go for the perfect season - as a player. The reason being that there aren't many chances in life to go down in history, if any, and be remembered - a perfect season is remembered forever practically. Even I remember the Dolphins and I don't remember yesterday much less who won the SB longer ago than 2 or 3 years. Now, that could just be an old person perspective. As a 20 something person - that is just too long ago for me to even try to think about.

If it is just a regular playoff/no perfect season waiting - I will grudgingly say that I would rest the players so there isn't a Wes Welker happening. I may not like it, but I can understand it...even as an old person.

AnthonyE
01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Matt's in the probowl officially.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/20/schaub-smith-to-replace-brady-fitzgerald-in-pro-bowl/

Updated Pro Bowl rosters released by the NFL on Tuesday indicated that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald will not be participating in next week’s all-star game due to injury.

Brady is replaced by Texans QB Matt Schaub on the AFC squad, and Giants WR Steve Smith replaces Fitzgerald on the NFC roster.

The NFL does not specifically disclose what injury will prevent players from taking part in the annual all-star game. Brady was a permanent fixture on New England’s weekly injury report due to a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason. He also was reportedly nursing finger and rib injuries towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. Brady started all 16 games and the wild-card game for New England while passing for 4,398 yards and 28 touchdowns with 13 interceptions.

Schaub passed for 4,770 yards, 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 01:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Updated there too.

Congrats Matt and thanks for making that autographed football I got from you at Kinko's 3 years ago that much more worth it!

JCTexan
01-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Congrats Matt. First Houston Texan QB to make the Pro Bowl. :fans:

Mike Kerns
01-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Should have been on there already. Congrats, Matt.

mexican_texan
01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
We should chip in and buy him some rogaine.

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Matt got in the same way as VY. Its great yes but I wont be happy till he makes it without any doubt. Alternates making it IMO havent really made the pro bowl. Just my .02 :).

HOU-TEX
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Hmm, if Manning and the Colts go to the Bowl that'll leave just Rivers and Schaub as QBs, right? I suppose that's a strike against having the PB before the SB.

Congrats, Schaub, you had an admirable year.

TEXANS84
01-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Wonder how much Turner will play Rivers?

BigBull17
01-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt got in the same way as VY. Its great yes but I wont be happy till he makes it without any doubt. Alternates making it IMO havent really made the pro bowl. Just my .02 :).

No, VY was something like the 10th alternate, slightly ahead of David Carr for the coveted spot. Schaub was arguably one of the bigger Pro Bowl snubs. With Manning and Brady in the AFC, it's gonna take alot of love to beat someone out. Look at the other QB's.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Congrats!!! Matt deserves it.

Go Matt!!!
Go Texans!!!

Mr. White
01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
No, VY was something like the 10th alternate, slightly ahead of David Carr for the coveted spot. Schaub was arguably one of the bigger Pro Bowl snubs. With Manning and Brady in the AFC, it's gonna take alot of love to beat someone out. Look at the other QB's.

I don't remember it that way. Vince was 4th in line after Manning, Brady and Palmer. Carr wasn't in the conversation.

Exact same situation here. Vince deserved credit then the same way that Matt deserves it now.

False Start
01-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I think he should have been in to begin with, but congrats on making it in via the injury route! :jam: :cool: :texflag:

No More 8-8's
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
VY was very good his first year, he almost took them to the playoffs. Also it makes me so freaking happy that the Titans play the Cowboys in Dallas next year......

Now Dallas fans will experience a stadium full of VY jerseys

BSofA04
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Matt Freaking Schaub! Representing the banner since the 2007 season! Glad he's in.

BigBull17
01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't remember it that way. Vince was 4th in line after Manning, Brady and Palmer. Carr wasn't in the conversation.

Exact same situation here. Vince deserved credit then the same way that Matt deserves it now.

Nope. Rivers and Ben were for sure ahead of him. Carr was a joke. VY was a ways behind. And He wasn't top ten in passing, let alone 1st.

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Schaub was definitely a Pro Bowl snub this year. I don't think getting in as an alternate is the same as getting voted in... if if the fans count for 1/3, which is way too much. It doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there, like in Schaub's case, but its different than getting voted in through the process.

I hope he plays a little bit, shows his stuff really well, connects with Andre a few times for a score and DOESN'T get injured!!!! We're in a position now that our players are going to be consistently going to the pro bowl. I just don't want them to get injured!

All I can think about is when Sean Taylor (R.I.P.) leveled that punter, i think from buffalo. That's the one play from any pro bowl that I remember... the only play i remember. Total BS and I hope players now and going forward have the respect for their colleagues that this is a useless game and don't go 'all out' like its a playoff game.

Kimmy
01-20-2010, 10:26 AM

What about Owen Daniels last year?

HOU-TEX
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Schaub was definitely a Pro Bowl snub this year. I don't think getting in as an alternate is the same as getting voted in... if if the fans count for 1/3, which is way too much. It doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there, like in Schaub's case, but its different than getting voted in through the process.

I hope he plays a little bit, shows his stuff really well, connects with Andre a few times for a score and DOESN'T get injured!!!! We're in a position now that our players are going to be consistently going to the pro bowl. I just don't want them to get injured!

All I can think about is when Sean Taylor (R.I.P.) leveled that punter, i think from buffalo. That's the one play from any pro bowl that I remember... the only play i remember. Total BS and I hope players now and going forward have the respect for their colleagues that this is a useless game and don't go 'all out' like its a playoff game.

QFT! Remember a few years back when Brees dislocated his elbow in the PB? That has got to be every player and coach's nightmare. I guess it's kind of a good thing they just kinda go through the motions and play as vanilla as you can get.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM

It's not even close to the same situation. VY was never really in the conversation for the 2007 Pro Bowl because he legitimately did not do enough to earn it. He had 2200 yards and a whopping twelve passing touchdowns. Whoopty freakin doo.

Only a fool or a sniffer of burnt orange tampons would deny Matt Schaub deserves a spot on this year's roster because he finished the season among the leaders in numerous passing categories and was the league's leading passer. Really, I don't see how you can even compare his 2009 Pro Bowl invite with VY's 2007. Vince Young wasn't even in the 2007 top ten in passing yardage. If anyone should've gone that year instead of Vince, it was Roethlisberger.

DeMarCushPoll
01-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Our players are going to be voted to the Pro-Bowl consistently, but hopefully will not be going to the Pro-Bowl due to deep runs in the playoffs. (BIGGER FISH TO FRY)!

Mr. White
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Vince was 4th in line for the 2007 Pro-Bowl. Schaub is 4th in line for the 2010 Pro-Bowl.

I don't get the logic that says one guy deserves it and the other one doesn't.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Vince was 4th in line for the 2007 Pro-Bowl. Schaub is 4th in line for the 2010 Pro-Bowl.

Seriously?

Go look at Vince Young's 2006 stats and then compare them to Matt Schaub's 2009 stats.

One guy deserved it and was legitimately snubbed. The other guy was just a body to fill an open roster slot.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Vince was 4th in line for the 2007 Pro-Bowl.

Says who? What about Tom Brady? Ben Roethlisberger?

Ole Miss Texan
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM

The arguement is that Schaub was actually the best QB in the AFC... arguably the NFL this year... hence he deserved to get the actual vote.

1st in the league in passing yards.
2nd in AFC (5th overall) in TD passes.
2nd overall in 1st downs.
3rd in the AFC (6th overall) in 1st Down %.
2nd overall with 20+ yard passes.
1st overall (tied) with 40+ yard passes.
4th in the AFC (7th overall) in passer rating.

BUT we're missing one key stat... Manning (made playoffs), Brady (made playoffs), Rivers (made playoffs), Schaub (missed playoffs).

gtexan02
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
The arguement is that Schaub was actually the best QB in the AFC... arguably the NFL this year... hence he deserved to get the actual vote.

1st in the league in passing yards.
2nd in AFC (5th overall) in TD passes.
2nd overall in 1st downs.
3rd in the AFC (6th overall) in 1st Down %.
2nd overall with 20+ yard passes.
1st overall (tied) with 40+ yard passes.
4th in the AFC (7th overall) in passer rating.

BUT we're missing one key stat... Manning (made playoffs), Brady (made playoffs), Rivers (made playoffs), Schaub (missed playoffs).

Similar thing happened to Rivers last year.

In 2008 he had 4000 yards, 34 tds/11 ints, 65% completion, 105.5 rating

Instead of him, Peyton, Favre, Cutler, and Collins made it in.

Collins didn't even top 3000 yards, only had 12td and a rating of ~80

It was a super snub

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
What about Owen Daniels last year?

He was a 1st alternate right? I stand by my statement. OD is a top TE in the league and I have no doubt he would have made it this year had he not got injured. I think comparing TE to QB is a little different too though.

infantrycak
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Schaub - 4th comp. %, 1st yards, 4th ypa, 5th TDs, 2nd 1st downs, 6th 1st down %, 2nd 20+ passes, 4th 40+ passes, 7th QB rating.

VY - 32nd comp. %, 26th yards, 27th ypa, 21st TDs, 26th 1st downs, 25th 1st down %, 18th 20+ passes, 31st 40+ passes, 30 QB rating.

Seems pretty obvious. Yes they got there the same way but the difference is one never should have been in line in the first place. One guy in the top 10 in every category and top 5 in most. The other guy not in the top half of the league in a single category and bottom 5 in 4 categories.

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Our players are going to be voted to the Pro-Bowl consistently, but hopefully will not be going to the Pro-Bowl due to deep runs in the playoffs. (BIGGER FISH TO FRY)!

I approve of this post. Hopefully this will be our pro bowl problem next year :).

Mailman
01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Schaub - 4th comp. %, 1st yards, 4th ypa, 5th TDs, 2nd 1st downs, 6th 1st down %, 2nd 20+ passes, 4th 40+ passes, 7th QB rating.

VY - 32nd comp. %, 26th yards, 27th ypa, 21st TDs, 26th 1st downs, 25th 1st down %, 18th 20+ passes, 31st 40+ passes, 30 QB rating.

Seems pretty obvious. Yes they got there the same way but the difference is one never should have been in line in the first place. One guy in the top 10 in every category and top 5 in most. The other guy not in the top half of the league in a single category and bottom 5 in 4 categories.

Yup.

The simple truth is that VY was invited to the 2006-07 NFL Pro Bowl on the basis of a 4th and 5 run in Pasadena one year before.

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Yup.

The simple truth is that VY was invited to the 2006-07 NFL Pro Bowl on the basis of a 4th and 5 run in Pasadena one year before.

Isnt that the reason why the media and fairweather Tits fans still lick his sack?

IBleedTexans
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Just like he deserves to!!!!!!!!!!!!For all those haters saying we still need to look for a QB, YALL SHOULD ALL EAT CROW LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now if peyton goes to the super bowl we'll see matt play more minutes

HOU-TEX
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Just like he deserves to!!!!!!!!!!!!For all those haters saying we still need to look for a QB, YALL SHOULD ALL EAT CROW LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!

DeMarCushPoll
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Just like he deserves to!!!!!!!!!!!!For all those haters saying we still need to look for a QB, YALL SHOULD ALL EAT CROW LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now if peyton goes to the super bowl we'll see matt play more minutes

I concur

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM

I dont think we should look for another QB but Matt still has a lot to show me and I think he is capable of it. For now I hope for another full season and a better more experienced Schaub next year.

ChampionTexan
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Nope. Rivers and Ben were for sure ahead of him. Carr was a joke. VY was a ways behind. And He wasn't top ten in passing, let alone 1st.

Man I hate doing this, because there was a world of difference between Matty's 2009 and VY's 2006 seasons, but the fact is that VY was the 2nd alternate in his pro-bowl, and wasn't behind Roethlisberger. Fact is prior to this year, Big Ben's only been in one Pro Bowl, and it was the 2008 Pro Bowl following the 2007 season.

Ben Roethlisberger - 1-Time Pro Bowler (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm)

Mailman
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Like QBs and Super Bowl wins, this is a team stat that frequently gets exaggerated around Pro Bowl voting time. Matt Schaub deserves a Pro Bowl invitation this year, regardless of his team's playoff status.

The Titans didn't make the playoffs in 2006. The Pats did. So why was Brady snubbed in favor of Vince Young?

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM

LMAO, where are you getting this stuff from?

I remember that like it was yesterday. Vince was NOT 4th in line behind Manning, Brady, and Palmer....Brady didn't even make the pro bowl that year...Rivers did, Brady was the 1st alternate.

Rivers hurt his ACL in that playoff game, Brady declined and guess what? Young wasn't even the next alternate after that! His mentor Steve McNair was....who backed out so Young (who wasn't even a top 2 alternate) could go to his first pro bowl game. Anybody who thinks that situation is remotely comparable to Matt Schaub's situation this year is out of their mind LOL.

dtran04
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
With that logic, clearly Mark Sanchez is a Pro Bowl player right?

:)

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
The Titans didn't make the playoffs in 2006. The Pats did. So why was Brady snubbed in favor of Vince Young?

He wasn't....he was ahead of Young, he turned the invitation down.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
He wasn't....he was ahead of Young, he turned the invitation down.

Ah, that makes sense. Too bad nobody in the sacksniffer crowd remembers how VY backed into a Pro Bowl on his resume.

Brando
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Congrats Matt!!!:texflag:

Texan_Bill
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM

This is why I'm not all that excited for Matt. I criticized VY for this very same thing and I won't be a hypocrite in that regard.

Tailgate
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
The difference being, Schaub could have reasonably been selected over Brady in the first place.... making it kind of fitting he gets the spot immediately after he pulls out of it.

Blake
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Kinda neat to have so many players in the pro bowl. Silver lining I guess.

Matt in the Pro-Bowl LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/20/brady.ap/index.html?eref=sihp)

El Tejano
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I give a big fat turd who else should've made it this year or last year or how they got in. The point is Matt Schaub is going to be throwing to Andre in the Pro Bowl. Now hopefully Matt can start to get some of the love Petyon gets from the NFL.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
This is why I'm not all that excited for Matt. I criticized VY for this very same thing and I won't be a hypocrite in that regard.

I hear ya, TB, but the comparison is false. You would not be hypocrite because Schaub legitimately deserved it this year, whereas VY did not in 2006.

By far the most overlooked statistic of the 2009 NFL season is Matt Schaub's 4,770 yards passing, sixth best of all time.

Texan_Bill
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I hear ya, TB, but the comparison is false. You would not be hypocrite because Schaub legitimately deserved it this year, whereas VY did not in 2006.

By far the most overlooked statistic of the 2009 NFL season is Matt Schaub's 4,770 yards passing, sixth best of all time.

I hear ya and generally agree with you. It's just that in today's world, people are ready for the "gotcha" moment, and I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite whether the accusation would be false or not... With that said, Matt is very deserving and should've been named ahead of Brady to begin with.

Yeah, 4770 is impressive.

GuerillaBlack
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I approve of this post. Hopefully this will be our pro bowl problem next year :).

I thought it was back in Hawaii and the week after the Super Bowl for the next two years?

And congrats Matt!

Mr. White
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM

This is the same logic that I'm using, except I'm on the other side of the fence.

Vince got in and Matt got in the same way. Stats, guys that declined, etc. don't mean a whole lot to me. If you're in, you're in.

Mailman
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
This is the same logic that I'm using, except I'm on the other side of the fence.

Vince got in and Matt got in the same way. Stats, guys that declined, etc. don't mean a whole lot to me. If you're in, you're in.

But as CarrBombed explained, they didn't get in the same way. Schaub was the first alternate. VY wasn't.

Also, I don't understand where you are coming from when you say that stats don't mean anything to you. Stats are the main criteria we use to judge player performance w/r/t the Pro Bowl.

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Im the same as Bill, I criticized VY for the way he got in. I still stand by that and im my eyes VY is no probowler. Now Matt, he prob did deserve to be in over Brady BUT the fact is he wasnt. Yes on paper he is in the pro bowl but I want it to be 100% legit next year before I get excited.

Mr. White
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
But as CarrBombed explained, they didn't get in the same way. Schaub was the first alternate. VY wasn't.

Also, I don't understand where you are coming from when you say that stats don't mean anything to you. Stats are the main criteria we use to judge player performance w/r/t the Pro Bowl.

An alternate's an alternate. Lots of guys pass on the Pro-Bowl for plenty of reasons. That doesn't diminish the accomplishments of the alternates IMO.

If stats are the main criteria, then Schaub shouldn't have been an alternate.

The logic's the same to me. Both were alternates. One's not more deserving than another unless you're arguing a homer take.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM

If Vince was a first (or hell even second) alternate, nobody here would be complaining or saying his situation is different from Schaub's.....being a first alternate is actually a accomplishment, which is why they name those as soon as the roster is put out. I didn't even know Vince was a alternate or even had a chance to make the roster until 3 QBs ahead of him backed out of the pro bowl.

That's why it's "not the same thing", it's not even close. Matt was a first alternate and actually deserved to go.....Vince wasn't even labeled a alternate until the league was left scrambling to fill a spot after 3 QBs backed out of the pro bowl and it doesn't make me a "homer" for being able to see the difference in the two situations. Seriously does anybody even know who'll fill the last pro bowl spot if two more QBs drop out this year after Schaub.

Vince Young did not deserve to go that year plain and simple......Schaub did this year ahead of the guy who just backed out, that's the difference. One guy actually had a pro bowl type year, Vince Young didn't. In all honestly he shouldn't of even been the 3rd or 4th (or whatever the hell he was) alternate that year, his QB numbers were horrible....he got in on pure hype.

dalemurphy
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Im the same as Bill, I criticized VY for the way he got in. I still stand by that and im my eyes VY is no probowler. Now Matt, he prob did deserve to be in over Brady BUT the fact is he wasnt. Yes on paper he is in the pro bowl but I want it to be 100% legit next year before I get excited.

Any award that is determined by a group of voters is severely flawed. Who cares? I think it's nice for the player to be recognized by his peers, etc... but I could care less whether Schaub or anyone else gets enough votes to get in. I'm happy for him, I suppose. But, really, who cares?

Thorn
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
I give a big fat turd who else should've made it this year or last year or how they got in. The point is Matt Schaub is going to be throwing to Andre in the Pro Bowl. Now hopefully Matt can start to get some of the love Petyon gets from the NFL.

This. Just saved me some typing. :)

dalemurphy
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Frankly, I guess I'd rather them not play and risk injury.

gary
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
http://digitalsportsdaily.com/featured/19278

The Pencil Neck
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Frankly, I guess I'd rather them not play and risk injury.

Same here.

infantrycak
01-20-2010, 06:52 PM
If stats are the main criteria, then Schaub shouldn't have been an alternate.

Are you saying if stats are the main criteria Schaub should have been straight up in or shouldn't have even been an alternate? If the latter please provide the list of folks with better stats that deserved the alternate spot more.

One's not more deserving than another unless you're arguing a homer take.

That's just straight up BS. There is nothing homer at all to saying a top 5-7 QB in every QB category deserves it more than a bottom half of the league and often bottom 5, in every category QB.

Homer has to be one of the most overused MB words around as well. I think they got the line-up right. I don't think Schaub got jipped. Close calls, somewhat subjective, arguments for all. VY in comparison didn't belong in the discussion.

4Texans
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Matt may be the starting AFC QB in the Pro Bowl!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/vince-young-replaces-philip-rivers-on-pro-bowl-roster/

The AFC Pro Bowl quarterbacks were originally supposed to be Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Rivers. Then Brady pulled out, first alternate Ben Roethlisberger declined to participate, second alternate Matt Schaub took Brady's spot, and now Young, the third alternate, is taking Rivers' place.

So if Manning has to withdraw because the Colts go to the Super Bowl, Schaub will be the AFC's Pro Bowl starter, with Young and the fourth alternate (whose identity is not currently known) backing him up.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
http://digitalsportsdaily.com/featured/19278

http://digitalsportsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/756091101100_Texans_at_Bills.jpg

My god......could they have found any more of a "doofus" looking picture of Schaub?

The AP is really starting to piss me off......first the AP flat out never tries to find a updated picture of Cushing (everybody outside of Houston probably still thinks he has long hair) and now this. Seriously that's a awful picture.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
There it took me 10 seconds to find a good picture of Schaub in action...

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Matt_Schaub_WIDE1130.jpg

:rolleyes: these people aren't even trying.

Mr. White
01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Are you saying if stats are the main criteria Schaub should have been straight up in or shouldn't have even been an alternate? If the latter please provide the list of folks with better stats that deserved the alternate spot more.

I'm saying Schaub should have been a Pro-Bowl QB based on stats. And not as an alternate.

That's just straight up BS. There is nothing homer at all to saying a top 5-7 QB in every QB category deserves it more than a bottom half of the league and often bottom 5, in every category QB.

Homer has to be one of the most overused MB words around as well. I think they got the line-up right. I don't think Schaub got jipped. Close calls, somewhat subjective, arguments for all. VY in comparison didn't belong in the discussion.

I don't think you can make an argument that one alternate deserved it in some other year than another alternate in another year. Schaub didn't put up his 2009 numbers in 2006.

I'm not arguing that 2009 Schaub is a better QB than 2006 Young. The idea that one guy "deserves it more" than another just doesn't make sense to me. They both got in the same way. I think they both deserve credit for it.

By the same logic, the 2009 Texans "deserve" to make the playoffs more than the 2006 Titans did since they have the better record. It doesn't matter. Who gets in is who gets in.

b0ng
01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I really wonder if some NFL person is eavesdropping on our board since we were arguing about the validity of the previous PB selection for VY and now he's in it.:roast: again.

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I really wonder if some NFL person is eavesdropping on our board since we were arguing about the validity of the previous PB selection for VY and now he's in it.:roast: again.

How ridiculous is that??? Shame on the NFL, shame on the people who decide this stuff. Only Jamarcus Russell is less deserving of a pro bowl nod than Vince Young. Utter crap.

Goatcheese
01-20-2010, 08:29 PM
It's a shame he won't be throwing to OD as well.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d80ea501e_gallery_600.jpg

m5kwatts
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Caution: No matter how tempted you are to go read Dickface Justice's blog and see his stupid reaction to the VY news, DON'T DO IT. It will make you angry, possibly to the point of breaking something in your home.

Brisco_County
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
The AP is really starting to piss me off......first the AP flat out never tries to find a updated picture of Cushing (everybody outside of Houston probably still thinks he has long hair) and now this. Seriously that's a awful picture.

If no one outside of Houston will notice the difference, why would any of their assigned interns spend an extra 10 seconds away from facebook to do any research?

Vinnie
01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Please God, no Schaub in the PB! We all know he's brittle Mr. Glass! He's DOOMED!

Gratz to Matt. :bravo:

Carr Bombed
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
If no one outside of Houston will notice the difference, why would any of their assigned interns spend an extra 10 seconds away from facebook to do any research?

Because I don't know........that's their jobs.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-20-2010, 09:09 PM
It's a shame he won't be throwing to OD as well.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d80ea501e_gallery_600.jpg

I was thinking about OD as well. It's a shame OD won't be there. Good to know that our players are getting a good many recognition from others for sure.

I hope, our players be able to show what kind of talents we've got to the rest of NFL fans at Pro Bowl!

Go Texans!!!

Thorn
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM

"They" see every post you make, hear every thought you think. Be very very careful when online.

b0ng
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
"They" see every post you make, hear every thought you think. Be very very careful when online.

Maybe it's a conspiracy.

A Conspiracy to make it look like the AFC South is by far the best division in football in terms of QB play.

Brisco_County
01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
What's going to be funny is watching Schaub throw down field to Andre Johnson all day and rack up 400 yards.

Mike Kerns
01-21-2010, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't expect anyone to willingly read ANYTHING by Dick Justice, but his new one made my brain hurt. Here is some examples:

- Vince will be the best story at the Pro Bowl.

- he was as good as any quarterback in football.

- He handed the Texans their most painful defeat ever earlier this season.

- The Texans blew it by not taking Vince with the first pick of the 2006 draft.

- I hope to be there with both of them (VY & Schaub), but Iíll be giving a big old man-hug to just one of them.

Wow...just, Wow.

infantrycak
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I think it is pretty clear Justice is just provoking people at this point. That's his schtick.

This was interesting though from his article on Schaub making the Pro-Bowl:

Playing quarterback for Kubiak isn't easy. He coaches quarterbacks hard, yells at them, demands that they be better. Sage Rosenfels once became so frustrated that he pleaded with Kubiak to stop cursing him during games because it wasn't helping anyone. Kubiak did that.

Link (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2010/01/you_can_now_ref.html)

Seems to refute the belief of some around here that Kubiak is just a warm and fuzzy bunny who isn't tough on the players.

The Pencil Neck
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Seems to refute the belief of some around here that Kubiak is just a warm and fuzzy bunny who isn't tough on the players.

It's easy to think that what you see at the podium is what the players see behind the scenes. It's just not true.

Mailman
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I hadn't heard this latest VY news until this morning. Wow, what a flippin joke. Now the shaggybevo douches will crow about VY the Pro-Bowler while ignoring the tepid stats he posted relative to every other quarterback in the AFC.

It's just preposterous that he's in the Pro Bowl. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Orton, Flacco, Garrard, Sanchez...any of them could've gone over Vince Young. About the only name VY clearly trumps for a Pro Bowl appearance is Jamarcus Russell.

dalemurphy
01-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I hadn't heard this latest VY news until this morning. Wow, what a flippin joke. Now the shaggybevo douches will crow about VY the Pro-Bowler while ignoring the tepid stats he posted relative to every other quarterback in the AFC.

It's just preposterous that he's in the Pro Bowl. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Orton, Flacco, Garrard, Sanchez...any of them could've gone over Vince Young. About the only name VY clearly trumps for a Pro Bowl appearance is Jamarcus Russell.

Flacco or Orton certainly should've gotten the nod over Vince. Vince Young's season this year was much more Probowl worthy than his first Probowl season!

infantrycak
01-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Flacco or Orton certainly should've gotten the nod over Vince. Vince Young's season this year was much more Probowl worthy than his first Probowl season!

Both true statements.

Texan_Bill
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
There it took me 10 seconds to find a good picture of Schaub in action...

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Matt_Schaub_WIDE1130.jpg

:rolleyes: these people aren't even trying.

I disagree with you CB... They had to try really hard to go out of their way to find the doofius picture they could. That must've taken a lot of persistence to come up with that other picture of Matt.

Allstar
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Well it's official. Matt Schaub is the starting AFC Quarterback in the 2010 Probowl.

SteveSlaton20
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Well it's official. Matt Schaub is the starting AFC Quarterback in the 2010 Probowl.

got any proof/link on that yet?

Allstar
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
got any proof/link on that yet?

http://i49.tinypic.com/339smx1.jpg

SteveSlaton20
01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/339smx1.jpg

you never know w/ peyton.

i mean doubt he'll play, but he is peyton.

Allstar
01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
you never know w/ peyton.

i mean doubt he'll play, but he is peyton.

Yeah I'm sure he'll risk injury the week before the superbowl.:fingergun: I can guarantee you that players in the superbowl aren't eligible for the probowl.

Mike Kerns
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
When they do the pop up at the bottom of the screen during the Saints/Vikings game for the Pro Bowl, the first thing it shows is Matt Schaub. I'm quite sure he will be the starter.

HouSportsWriter
01-24-2010, 08:32 PM
tguys schaub may start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

rivers may be siting out manning may sit out because of the bowl wooot

:kitten::kingkong::kitten:

they have rivers as injured and vy as back up

link
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

redwhiteANDblue
01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
So do the QBs alternate quarters or something or is Matt going to play the entire game? Sorry I don't ever watch the probowls so I don't know.

Kimmy
01-24-2010, 09:28 PM
So do the QBs alternate quarters or something or is Matt going to play the entire game? Sorry I don't ever watch the probowls so I don't know.

They each play a quarter if memory serves. But with everyone dropping out, looks like Schaub & VY will split half's.

dschneider
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/25/pro-bowl-rosters-getting-ridiculous/

Link says that Garrard is the #6, and thus will be invited to play in the Pro Bowl.

b0ng
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
So the AFC South has 4 Pro Bowl QB's. I'm sorry but this just seems like the biggest joke to me. Sure Manning is supposed to be there and Schaub had an argument to be there, but VY and Garrard? And VY went before Garrard?

Yikes.

HuttoKarl
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/25/pro-bowl-rosters-getting-ridiculous/

Link says that Garrard is the #6, and thus will be invited to play in the Pro Bowl.

So...AFC South is well-rep'd at QB.

dschneider
01-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Has one division ever had all four QBs named to the Pro Bowl in the same year?

You know, this will probably turn out to be an arguing point midway through next year when the Texans are 4-4 and we have to remind everyone we're in the toughest division in the league.

Sigh.