PDA

View Full Version : Kickers in playoff games

keyser
01-18-2010, 01:21 AM
There's been a lot of discussion about Kris Brown recently. I noticed some bad kicks this weekend, and looked at the four games, and how the kicking went.

The most dramatic game was San Diego vs. New York. San Diego's kicker, make that All-Pro kicker, Nate Kaeding missed three field goals, from 37, 40, and 57. Making any one of those would have tied the game; two of three and SD would have one. The Jets' kicker Jay Feeley made his one and only attempt.

In the Dallas-Minnesota game, Dallas's kicker missed two of three, while Minnesota's made both of his. This game was lopsided enough that it didn't matter much, but at least one of the misses was early in the game, when it could have actually had a momentum effect.

In Arizona-New Orleans, the Arizona kicker missed his one attempt, while the NO one made it. Again, the game was lopsided enough not to matter.

In the Baltimore-Indy game, both kickers made all kicks (one for Balt, two for Indy).

In all three games where one kicker did better, the team with the better kicking won, and in one of those, it was the deciding factor in the game. You can take that a couple of ways. On one hand, it shows how much of a difference the kicking game makes, and thus how important it is to get a top kicker. On the other hand, it also shows that good kickers (kickers on playoff-caliber teams, and All-pro kickers) can miss at important times. Kickers are a really tough position to evaluate.

Maddict5
01-18-2010, 02:12 AM
the whole playoffs have been a huge kicker chokefest so far- you left out rackers missing a chip shot GWFG last week as well as shayne graham crapping the bed for the bengals

wagonhed
01-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Kickers are a really tough position to evaluate.

I agree with most of what you said but I disagree with this. Kickers are easy to evaluate. They either make big kicks or they don't.

HJam72
01-18-2010, 05:25 AM
I think that, unless the kicker shows a very obvious propensity to miss the big ones, you just have to go by percentages, taking distances into account, of course.

HOU-TEX
01-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I think the entire season was tough for kickers. At least it seemed like every weekend I was hearing of missed kicks.

The Pencil Neck
01-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree with most of what you said but I disagree with this. Kickers are easy to evaluate. They either make big kicks or they don't.

The problem being that there's a limited supply of kickers that can make big kicks. And sometimes they go through slumps. So if you've got a slumping kicker in the middle of the season, you've either got to give that guy a chance to work his way out of the funk OR you've got to take a chance that some other kicker who missed kicks for another team is going to pull out of his slump if you pick him up.

It's not like the kickers on the street are all Adam Vinatieri and David Akers.

houstonspartan
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
The New York Times did a story a couple of months ago about this. It was titled something like, "What's going on with the Kickers?" or something like that.

There's definitely something in the water this year that has made kickers lose their mojo. Not sure, but maybe it's because kicker is one of those jobs we take for granted, and therefore they don't get enough coaching because everyone assumes they don't need it.

I don't know. Just an idea.

Brisco_County
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Missing kicks must be contagious, like yawning.

Kicking in big games is mental. It's like shooting baskets. It's the reason why Robert Horry has seven rings. He's the go-to guy when the game's on the line, because he has proven that he can execute under pressure.

GP
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
If they just get a new team, they sometimes rebound pretty well.

MannyFresh
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I wish Ochocinco was a free agent, he'd kill two birds with one stone, take pressure off AJ and make field goals.

Texans#1Fan
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Kickers have one of the hardest jobs in the NFL. When the game is on the line and they make it, they are a hero. When they don't then everyone throws them to the wolfs so to speak. Kickers are not gonna make every kick but they are expected to make it when the game is on the line especially the playoffs. You are out there by yourself and everyone watching from the stands and at home across the nation. If it is nerves or whatever who knows. But, missing 3 kicks in a big game like the san diego game that is no excuse and he should be fired. Now, whats the reason for all the misses this season with the kickers i don't know but maybe they should go back to the basics of kicking.

dinkatoid
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
I am not sure Kaeding should be fired. That seems like an over reaction to me. Yes, he choked yesterday. However, that is by far his worst game ever, and you can not really blame him for missing the second kick (the 58 yard one). He should have made the other two, but he has really come through for them before and has been one of the most accurate kickers for the last few years. I think the guy missed 3 in the whole regular season, so I would at least give him another chance next year to redeem himself before I put him out on the street.

kastofsna
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
But, missing 3 kicks in a big game like the san diego game that is no excuse and he should be fired.

lol yes let's fire our All-Pro kicker for one game and replace him with...who? oh right, there's tons and tons of great kickers in free agency right now who could easily replace an All-Pro player.

MightyTExan
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
The question no one's asked:

Did they do something to the balls?