PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl before Super Bowl

Hookem Horns
01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Somehow I just found out about this. Maybe there was already a thread on this and if so I apologize.

So what does everyone think about this? Is it better or worse for the game? My initial thought is there will probably be more interest in the game because everyone will still be hyped up about football. I know I often forgot about the Pro Bowl game because after the Super Bowl you are in the mindset that the season is over.

Of course obviously Super Bowl teams will not be contributing any players however I think that was common anyway.

StarStruck
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
There is a thread about the Pro Bowl issue, but this one is cool. Personally, even though some Super Bowl contenders could bow out, but a week before the Super Bowl sounds more like a consolation prize for those that didn't make it.

brakos82
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Week before: Mixed.

Moving it from Hawaii: Bad idea.

kastofsna
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Norv Turner vs Wade Phillips

that'll be awesommeee

ChampionTexan
01-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Somehow I just found out about this. Maybe there was already a thread on this and if so I apologize.

So what does everyone think about this? Is it better or worse for the game? My initial thought is there will probably be more interest in the game because everyone will still be hyped up about football. I know I often forgot about the Pro Bowl game because after the Super Bowl you are in the mindset that the season is over.

Of course obviously Super Bowl teams will not be contributing any players however I think that was common anyway.

Given the fact that I couldn't possibly have any less interest in the Pro Bowl than I've had the last several years, it can't be a bad thing.

HOU-TEX
01-18-2010, 02:20 PM

I'm with you. Although, having something to watch during the bye before the Bowl is good. Even if it's a worthless game, it's still football.....or close to it.

ChampionTexan
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

From a personal standpoint, unless I'm going (which I never plan to do), I don't care whether they play it in Miami, Hawaii, Guam, or Never-Never land. I can't see how this makes any difference to anyone not planning on attending the Super Bowl/Pro Bowl or both.

From a more practical standpoint, since there's a large number of the players who hang out in the Super Bowl city the week before the game anyway, it may actually make it easier (by making it less of a additional demand on their time) to get players to participate in the game.

I actually think it's at least worth trying to see how it goes.

Thorn
01-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Pro Bowl in the midst of Super Bowl hype. More TV ad revenue for the NFL. Plus it's less expensive than staging it in Hawaii. Makes perfect business sense.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. The only reason I'll watch the pro bowl anyway is to watch Texan players if they make it. And this year we'll have four. I think it'll be great if they let Mario, Ryans and Crushing all play at the same time for a series or two. :)

HOU-TEX
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Pro Bowl in the midst of Super Bowl hype. More TV ad revenue for the NFL. Plus it's less expensive than staging it in Hawaii. Makes perfect business sense.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. The only reason I'll watch the pro bowl anyway is to watch Texan players if they make it. And this year we'll have four. I think it'll be great if they let Mario, Ryans and Crushing all play at the same time for a series or two. :)

QFT!!

The "Skills Challenge" used to be more fun to watch than the Pro Bowl. My Son and I used to really enjoy watching the players compete while having fun doing it.

Speedy
01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I hate the Pro Bowl. It's a crap game and no one "really" wants to play in it. They should do away with it and just have an awards ceremony in the Super Bowl city at a basketball arena. If the Super Bowl were in Houston for example, have the ceremony at the Toyota Center to kick off Super Bowl week, name your Pro-Bowlers, let them all come out on stage and let the fans cheer them or what have you, hand out MVP, ROY awards, Coach of the Year and all that jazz.

ESPN could make it a show, showing highlights for each player announced and all that good stuff.

Double Barrel
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd rather see a NCAA Championship game that is the result of a legit playoff system on that weekend, but yeah, that's my take. ;)

The Pro Bowl is a big yawn for me. I haven't watched it in years. I usually feel like a bear coming out of a long hibernation by that weekend, so my football season watching official ends when 0:00 is on the Super Bowl game clock.

A week before, a week after, it won't make much of a difference to me, much less where they actually play it. My son might want to check it out, so I'll hang with him until he loses attention (probably after AJ is pulled).

Hookem Horns
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow, I was just looking at the Pro Bowl roster and Nate Kaeding is the starting kicker for the AFC. This guy totally melted down against the Jets. I wonder what Chargers fan will think if he nails every kick in the Pro Bowl.

ChampionTexan
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Wow, I was just looking at the Pro Bowl roster and Nate Kaeding is the starting kicker for the AFC. This guy totally melted down against the Jets. I wonder what Chargers fan will think if he nails every kick in the Pro Bowl.

He's also the 1st team All-Pro kicker.

kastofsna
01-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Kaeding is a great kicker.

Giant Tiger
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm with you. Although, having something to watch during the bye before the Bowl is good. Even if it's a worthless game, it's still football.....or close to it.

Well, I'll be watching :)

Vinny
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
The closer the SB comes the more I like the idea of the Pro Bowl in the week before the SB. It beats two weeks without football. I like Speedy's Awards Ceremony idea too.

GuerillaBlack
01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I like it being the week before, but wish it was still in Hawaii.

SheTexan
01-22-2010, 06:22 AM
I'll watch, esp now that MS will be playing. Hope he and AJ get a chance to light up an otherwise pretty boring game.

Thorn
01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
I'll watch, esp now that MS will be playing. Hope he and AJ get a chance to light up an otherwise pretty boring game.

I will probably not be watching live, I'll DVR it. That way I can fast forward through the spots where our boys aren't playing and just watch the parts where Matt lights up their defense and AJ makes a TD, and where our three defensive guys mash the NFCs offense. :)

Pro Bowls are WAY to boring to watch the whole thing. LOL