PDA

View Full Version : Fat Albert as a 3-4 NT?

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
From PFT:

The former Saints head coach has run a 3-4 and 4-3 defense at previous stops and says the Redskins could be successful running either one.

"You got to decide what angle you want to go. The secondary doesn't make a difference, but I think you got to decide what's best to run for you to be effective," Haslett said.

With that said, it sounds like Haslett may be leaning towards a 3-4 approach, which is consistent with previous reports.

"I think the 3-4 is a good fit for them.

I can't imagine Haynesworth being happy in that role or doing what he hasn't done since being a rookie - making it through a season.

DexmanC
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
From PFT:

I can't imagine Haynesworth being happy in that role or doing what he hasn't done since being a rookie - making it through a season.

Hell. Albert blew up at coaches last year for giving him too many run-
stopping responsibilities in a 4-3! Shanahan's got a tough one on his
hands, that's for sure.

thunderkyss
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
From PFT:

I think even the 3-4 NT is going to be changing in the next few seasons. With this becoming more of a passing league, guys who can do what Jay Ratcliff in Dallas (maybe what Haslette is looking at) will be at a premium. Haynesworth should be able to attack in the same manner. Maybe even better really.

Texan4Ever
01-15-2010, 10:22 PM
The nose tackle position is critical in running a 3-4 defense. You need to decide if you want a 360-lbs beast like Kris Jenkins or a quick and nimble guy like Jay Ratliff (who continues to amaze me considering he is only 300-lbs).

I have to say I misread your thread title, I was expecting a question as to whether or not Fat Albert could play NT.

This Fat Albert......

http://friendpages.com/photos/82/1395282.main.jpg

Goatcheese
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
His skill set would be better used at RDE than NT if they move to a 3-4. The Meatballs often put him outside, and he was able to create havoc with LTs not used to dealing with that kind of beast.

Vinny
01-15-2010, 11:40 PM
His skill set would be better used at RDE than NT if they move to a 3-4. The Meatballs often put him outside, and he was able to create havoc with LTs not used to dealing with that kind of beast.
I agree...he'd be a bigger, uglier Gary Walker. How much uglier is debatable.

infantrycak
01-16-2010, 12:12 AM

I agree...he'd be a bigger, uglier Gary Walker. How much uglier is debatable.

I agree skill set wise but is Griffin going to be effective at NT? Payne was pretty good at a similar size but I think Payne was underrated in that role and unusual in his capacity to pull it off at that weight. Ratliff is pulling it off in Dallas though.

BigTimeTexanFan
01-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Oh no! He'll be lined up directly over Chris Myers the entire game! God speed to you Matt Schaub.